Who's Better: Randy Orton or John Cena?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Who is your favourite Orton or Cena?

• John cena

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Randy Orton

• Both

• Neither

• Total voters

DcDudley

Reaction score
Both
Neither of them is lacking in any area, and they both sell tickets. None of them is close to being my favorite wrestler, but they both know how to get the job done in the ring and the are not too shabby on the mic either.

MizMasta3000

Cant beileve it but I am going to go with John Cena. Randy Orton's heat has cooled off the past month with this failed Kofi feud like I predicted. He isn't really cutting promos. While Cena can cry on a promo and the fans will cry. I believe, Miz, Jericho and Punk get more heat than Orton does. I guess now that he is back in the WWE title picture he will climb back on top of the heat ranks

LKP

Dude... Im a little confused here. Seems this debate has taken a number of shapes.

@LKP.. are you still disagreeing, that Cena can't work? Not withstanding that you believe Orton is the more talented, are you point blank saying, that Cena is a bad wrestler?

I am saying cena is a bad wrestler yes.

Dynamo

Reaction score
@LKP.. But how? Like to say he isn't as talented as Orton as a technichian, cool. I agree. But to say he's a bad wrestler???? If you said he doesn't sell often, if you said he can be a bit stiff, if u said he has a basic moveset... Id agree with you, but honestly... a bad wrestler doesn't put on the matches Cena does. And I amnot a Cena fan.

Considering the talent on the roster at the moment, then surely, 80% of the WWE are Bad wrestlers by your standard?

Oh, and I also wouldn't mind hearing what constitutes a bad and good wrestler, unless you are SOLEY basing this on technical ability? There is much more to being a wrestler, in the purest sense.

LKP

Ok dude sell cena to me then. If i was hogan at tna and i had not heard of CENA sell him to me make me sign him. Tell me what he has etc. Then tell me what Orton has.

MizMasta3000

Cena has charisma, he gets the crowd fired up. He is a go getta. His moveset is weak ok. He isn't a technician ok. Bad wrestler I think not. So many guys have basic movesets and aren't technicians but are the most over guys you will ever see. HHH, The Rock, Stone Cold, etc. Surely you are not saying that Cena is an all round bad worker. He keeps his cool. If someone makes a mistake he doesn't yell at them on television. See what I mean?

Soul_of_Ruby

Reaction score
Ok dude sell cena to me then. If i was hogan at tna and i had not heard of CENA sell him to me make me sign him. Tell me what he has etc. Then tell me what Orton has.
Every crowd Cena's performed in front of has given him a reaction. He always gets either the loudest cheers or loudest boos. He's someone you can sell to the kids and they'll really get behind him. Or as a heel, everyone hates him.

His moveset is one of the safest you'll find, so you don't have to worry about him hurting himself or anyone else.

He's not injury prone. He's only ever taken time off for injury twice, I believe over the span of... How many years has Cena been around, now? 8?

Cena will also sell more merchandise then anyone in the wrestling business today.

Cena is arguably the biggest draw in wrestling today outside of Mexico where Mistico wins that one.

Cena leaks into the mainstream very well as you saw on January 4th when he was the Grand Marshal of the Fiesta Bowl.

Cena is the most requested in the Make-A-Wish Foundation every year.

Cena has incredible work ethic. Hardly ever taking a day off (Yes, he does work house shows)

There have never been any negative reports about Cena backstage.

Whereas w/ Orton, he does get a great reaction everywhere. When he was a face back in 2004, he was not cheered nearly as much as Cena has been. Cena beats Orton out when it comes to playing Babyface.

Orton has a history of being a prick backstage and even in his army days.

Orton has never leaked into the mainstream media.

Orton is a draw, but not nearly as much as Cena.

Orton's merchandise sales are not spectacular.

Orton spends a lot of time off of television because of his attitude, drug, and injury problems... injury problems.. (Kudos to those who get that)

With Orton, you have to worry about him spitting at kids.

Btw, they're tied in votes =P

straight_edge76

Honestly, even though I prefer Orton I have to say it is a tie.

Orton, he could be considered one of the best heels of the last 10-15 years and his character (whatever it may be at the time) is always superb. His mic work is always on point imo. Cena on the other hand IS the WWE in many ways, you say WWE and the non-wrestling fan automatically has the image of John Cena in their head I believe much like they did with Austin, The Rock and Hogan before him. Cena's character I admit is kind of boring but he puts so much Raw emotion into his promos (albeit at times extremely annoying).

In-ring I find them both rather similar, neither has an extremely dazzling move set but not to many main event stars have a AJ Styles-esque moveset, but the moveset they both have fits the character they are playing; Orton is the sneaky viper type who slowly picks apart his opponent. Cena is the bruiser who comes at you like a bat out of hell, guns blazing. Both have had good/great matches with the same opponents (Batista,Taker,HBK,Angle etc.)

Cena his in-ring work has drastically improved since the Anti-Cena era of 2006, by no means is he the best in-ring worker in the WWE no, that is easily Jericho or Punk but he is extremely good at what he is supposed to do. Also, how LKP brought up that Cena only appeals to Women/Children; that is not totally true, I am sure that not all men hate John Cena, I know a few dudes my age who are fans of his characters. Whereas I cannot call myself a fan of his but I can respect all he has done to at times carry the WWE flag.

The Rated R CMStar

Oh, and even with Cena "apparently being a bad wrestler", you can count on him putting a good match with everybody, while Orton hasn't.

And that's even going by the logic that Cena gets carried, because if you really believe that Cena got carried in his matches, then what does it say about Orton that Triple H manages to get a good match out of Cena and doesn't out of Orton?

The Rated R CMStar

And this is coming from a guy who hates John Cena and his gimmick and prefers Orton. However, Cena puts the best matches all around. It is no surprise that Orton's best matches in the year have been against Cena while the others have been pretty lackluster.

straight_edge76

Oh, and even with Cena "apparently being a bad wrestler", you can count on him putting a good match with everybody, while Orton hasn't.

And that's even going by the logic that Cena gets carried, because if you really believe that Cena got carried in his matches, then what does it say about Orton that Triple H manages to get a good match out of Cena and doesn't out of Orton?

Great point, honestly I think that Cena doesn't get the respect he deserves from his in-ring work. Sure he isn't a AJ Styles in the ring but he does what he does very well and that is brawl.

Airfixx

[Orton] and HHH should never be put in a ring together again. I really hope WWE has learned their lesson with that shit.

I don't get why peeps are so down on that combo... Yeah, it's been seen a hell of a lot, but I rate the following:

Unforgiven 04 (Yeah, everyone hates the outcome, but that's not the issue.)
RRumble 05
NoMercy 07
ONS-08 (Shame about the damn injury, but it was sweet until then).

There were a couple of others i can't quite place too.

I also think they'd have risen to the occasion @ WM had it not been for that shitty 'all HHH's falls = title loss' stip.

Somewhat off topic... HHH/Orton infinitely > Cena/Orton.

As for the debate...

Best in terms of total package/smarkisms about drawing etc: Cena.

Personal preference: Orton.

seX-Power

Even Cena's worst matches can be carried by the way he works the crowd. Like his recent feud with Big Show, the matches were godawful but he still managed to keep the crowd interested for all 20 minutes of a submission match.