Sky "enjoys" the TNA Immortal Era

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
They are coming :mark:

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Impact July 1, 2010 - Scary Monsters and Nice Hulks

We get a video package, set to music by some forgettable band, about Abyss and his complicated relationship with Hulk Hogan. At least I think it is, I was distracted by the multiple stock Howie Long screams inserted into it. Why not throw in a Wilhelm for good measure? Episode title (yes, still) is "The Voices In My Head". What if Randy Orton was the hot free agent that Hogan and Bischoff were going to pick up before Lethal was an idiot? Will that ever be resolved?

We cold open (not even pyro to start!) on the Monster tossing chairs into the ring. Abyss, when we told you "set up the chairs for the AA meeting with Hardy and Scott Hall", we expected you to do it more nicely... He steals some steel that kids in the front row are sitting on, and then looks to be making a move on SoCal Val before Hogan's music hits. He shows up to threaten Abyss, Bischoff shows up, they're all separated by security, it doesn't work, Jeff Hardy comes in for the save and ends up giving Abyss a Swanton on the chairs.

What's really interesting about the above opening segment is that absolutely no one grabbed a mic through all of it. It's a novel approach, given that I'd expect a 10+ minute Hogan promo to open up the episode at this point. Part of me really wants to see this, promo segments being conducted entirely without promos. It would certainly make Nia Jax appearances more bearable. Tenay and Taz have spoken all the audible words in this episode so far. After the break, it turns out Abyss has tried to attack commentary and trashed inconsequential paperwork in the back. Wow, what a monster. "I don't love him anymore" -Hogan, in a segment where we find out it's Jeff Hardy vs. Abyss tonight.

Match 1: Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley/Chris Sabin) vs. Ink Inc. (Shannon Moore/Jesse Neal)

Jobber entrance for the punks. Feels bad. Was it ever explained why the Guns have a bye to the Victory Road match? Jesse Neal is really fucking over. He's the sort of guy you value and not, you know, leave on the lower card and let him survive on food stamps. Definitely not that. Crowd pops huge for Shannon Moore's springboard to the outside, which would have been bottom of the barrel in the X Division of old. "He's proud, his mohawk's sticking up" -Taz, an expert on punk biology. Devon shows up on commentary and claims to be there to make sure his "brother" doesn't interfere in the match. Shouldn't you be standing, and closer to ringside, in that case?

Crowd loves the Guns. Maybe that's why they got a bye to the Victory Road match. Devon name drops ECW, and claims 3D are high-flyers. They're technically right, if a diving headbutt to the dick makes you a high-flyer. Finish is predictable, as Ray shows up to hurt Neal, Devon stops him, Neal is distracted, and the Guns take advantage. Ultimately, though? Fun little TV match. I'm certainly happy that Beer Money got the shot and not Ink Inc., but this works. Young me would be shocked that I don't really like Shannon Moore that much.

Yay! The Pope's back! Aw... Eric Bischoff's out with a mic. He tells us that Hardy/Abyss is the main event tonight, something we already knew. At least there's some new info: RVD is gonna be special referee. I hope he breaks out a black and white singlet. Dixie Carter is missing from ringside, but she's about to give some paper to someone. Presumably, she's going to point at a word and ask "How do you read this one?" (Bonus point: the word is "competence".)

Match 2: AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe

We're getting this match on free TV, because of course. AJ goes out too far, looks around, and has to wait for Ric Flair and Kazarian to catch up, like a scared child who's lost his parents. Conveniently, Ric and Kaz look like an old man and his much younger wife. I get the unwelcome reminder that he's going to be wrestling again in 10 days' time. AJ and Joe scowl at each other like each has just watched the other man slap a baby. Commentary gets confused at how many eyes Hogan, Bischoff and Dixie have between them. Referee chooses to tear Styles away from an illegal choke rather than call for the DQ. Judicious, I like it!

We're reminded on commentary that this is just a silly slapfight in order to do what matters: impress Hogan, Bischoff, and Flair! Because if it didn't happen in WCW over a decade ago, it doesn't matter! I like the story of them knowing each other so well, with so many counters. Figure 4 countered into Coquina Clutch, and that's the pin! Nice! Joe gets a win at last. I notice Mike Tenay's doing that stereotypical commentator thing where he doesn't know pronouns exist. I hate that. Another "WWE-lite" thing. Grandpa Flair is disappointed, and why wouldn't he be? Fortune is still on 0 members. Something about Kazarian pissed off AJ, and we're going to get a match between them next week. Seems fine by me.

This is followed by an extended segment where Hogan, Bischoff and Dixie talk about Abyss. I notice Hogan's said the word "cancer" a lot today. Must be reading the Internet response to his TNA presence. At one point Kevin Nash wants to talk to them but is fucked right off by Hogan. Hah, that's funny.

Match 3: Desmond Wolfe vs. Brian Kendrick - Submission Match

During Wolfe's entrance I hear his theme music go on longer than I've ever heard it before. This would have potential to be an excellent match if they gave it longer than 5 minutes, but this is the X Division in 2010 so that's wishful thinking. Second guest commentary of the night is Doug Williams. "My English goombah", Taz says to Doug, which is rich from him, as he looks just like one of those Goombas from the Super Mario Bros. movie.

XVlZxiO.jpg

We get a bit of a reminder that the Wolfe/Chelsea dissension storyline is still going. Oh yeah, face Chelsea has nowhere else to go now that Abyss is top heel. Her walking out lets Kendrick get the submission win in rather short order. Told you. We get an interviewer trying to harass Tommy Dreamer while he's taking a piss outside or something, then a hype package for the Pope.

And here's the man himself! He's still over despite being kicked out of his own feud by Jeff Hardy two months before. "Hallelujah" chants. This man really is a great talker. I could listen to him preach about any old thing. He wants to restart the fued with Mr. Anderson, which makes me sad as the bookers would just think "WWE guy going over hurr durr". "One guy, four syllables - Su-i-ci-dey" -Pope. He's talking a lot about 80%, which sounds like excuse-making. Kurt Angle's here. Oh yeah, he's fighting through the Top 10 rankings, and Pope's at 8. So that's the Victory Road match! I like this simple booking. "I must be victorious" -Angle, talking in a way like he's asking Pope to throw the match.

Goldfish memory video package for Jay Lethal vs. Ric Flair, which lets Lethal enter. Now, given recent events, I have no idea whether or not it's okay to like Jay Lethal anymore, so I'm going to be neutral. Lethal is still doing his Flair voice. He gives a face promo. He does not call out Flair or AJ successfully, instead bringing out his opponent. Matt Morgan... someone I actually can't think of many positive things about. He's tall I guess? Apparently he's been asked to join Fortune, despite not beating anyone recently. He doesn't get much of a reaction at all.

Match 4: Jay Lethal vs. Matt Morgan

This starts as a slaughter with Morgan doing his regular Morgan spots. Ho hum. Commentary seems interested in talking about how Jeff jarrett isn't here. Morgan tries a Carbon Footprint with Lethal against the ropes, but ends up hitting his balls on the top rope. That's the sort of spot you can only do with a tall guy which is cool. You'd think this is the opening for Lethal, but no. The opening is when Hernandez interferes. Way to overbook.

We've got a watershed moment here as Abyss talks vaguely about "they" while hammering nails into a 2x4. Yes, Janice is here! They've finally introduced Abyss' signature weapon! Now things are really starting to take shape. We get a graphical reminder that Hardy/Abyss is later tonight, and it's revealed that it's going to be reffed not by RVD, but by a generic picture of a referee with RVD's face and the TNA World Title Photoshopped on to it.

nHS46La.png

Match 5: Madison Rayne vs. Taylor Wilde

Jobber entrance for Taylor. Madison's pigeon-let-loosing doesn't really work because she's wearing full leg pants. "I just saw her backup" -Taz. They REALLY want us to follow Dixie Carter on Twitter, and Facebook too. Mike Tenay seems to think that Madison retired Roxxi on Impact. She might as well have done it on TNA Epics, given the importance of it. Oh yeah, remember TNA Epics? That was a thing. Sarita is noted in her absence. Oh... this is the match that the ECW guys invade and make us ignore. With new addition, Rhino! Nice! Fans are turned away while Madison takes it with the Rayne Drop. They accurately represent TNA's priorities at the time.

Angelina Love shows up with a beige chair, after which we cut to Dixie Carter walking, after which we cut to... Sarita attacking Taylor Wilde? When was this foreshadowed? I looked it up, and apparently it was on Xplosion. In fact, this entire breakup and feud, except for this specific segment, was on Xplosion. A show that doesn't even air in the US, and they make no reference to it for the benefit of their US audience. Seems about right. Well then, I guess that team broke up. Recap of Victory Road matches made so far. I hate the red, white and blue graphics. I hate them so much.

Dixie talking to Sting, and the audio mixing guy apparently forgets to let everyone's right ears know about it for about 20 seconds. Dixie drops the word "cancer" again. I really should have called this rewatch "Topic of Cancer". Sting keeps being vague. He's suspended without pay, and he flips out like Dixie killed his family.

Match 6: Abyss vs. Jeff Hardy (Special Guest Referee: Rob Van Dam)

RVD doesn't have a black and white singlet, sadly. Abyss still has red and yellow lights. The teenage girl demographic is chanting for Hardy as our friend the ticker shows up to remind us about the post show. The story of this match is "RVD and Hardy trying their hardest to keep the improvised weapon away from Abyss". Hardy's driven into the ring post and he flops in a really aesthetically pleasing way. "Let's go Hardy/Abyss sucks" dueling chants, but it sounds more like "Let's go Hardy/Hardy sucks". That would be nice. Reminds me of how Hogan wanted Abyss to be the next John Cena. I didn't make that up.

Taz name drops ECW again and suggests they might be "them". Abyss goes for a running splash. Sick of imitating Hogan, he's decided to be Warrior now... Someone actually counters the Swanton setup - Abyss by attempting a chokeslam from the top rope. But Hardy shoves him off and actually Swantons for the pin and the win. Post-match we get a Janice tease until Anderson comes out for the save with another oddly beige chair. And then he hits Hardy with the oddly beige chair, which seems quite counter-productive. I want Abyss to hit all of these guys with this dangerous weapon... that feels bad to say. See you at the go-home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Impact July 8, 2010 - Nailed It

Opening hype package focuses not on Abyss' new weapon, or the return of the Pope, or even (surprisingly) the ECW guys who constantly show up late and make everyone else forget about the matches at hand. It's about Mr. Anderson, who made the save but then sort of hit Hardy. Russo tweener booking really is just "turn every week", huh? Anderson out to start, with no unnecessary pyro show at all. Taz reckons the chair that Anderson's carrying right now is the same one he hit Hardy with. Despite that chair being noticeably beige, rather than the standard issue black chair in the asshole's hand. Impact Is Colourblindness.

Speaking of changing sides every week, Anderson is uncharacteristically meek throughout this promo. The chair hit wasn't on purpose... it sure looked like it last week. His evidence is that if he meant to do it, he'd tell everyone because he's an asshole. "The Impact Zone is filled to the brim with assholes" -Anderson, reading from his "cheap heat" flashcards instead of his "cheap pop" flashcards... oh wait, they're the same thing? Long and the short of it: it's going to be Hardy/Anderson tonight, Anderson's bringing a chair, if someone uses it, there's a problem. What about if Abyss comes out and uses it? Then that's a problem for both of you.

An "earlier today" from a more casually-dressed AJ Styles, very much playing the part of the kid who's disappointed his parents. "When you're on top, everyone loves you" -AJ, repeating the sex advice that Ric gave him. He's got to prove himself, apparently by wrestling Kazarian. I enjoy AJ's constant indignation at everything that doesn't involve him being perfect. It's a nice touch to heel AJ. Jeffy's also here, talking in vague terms about Anderson and chairs. At least it's not another I Am Going To Win The Upcoming Match promo.

Match 1: AJ Styles vs. Kazarian

What the fuck is that hand sign Kazarian makes? Signals for a video referee then pushes his cheek with his fingers. What's that supposed to signify? Maybe he thinks AJ's offside. AJ doesn't even care about posing in his Flair-knockoff robe. "Stone Old sucks" sign in the crowd. Which is odd, because not only are TNA and WWE not competing on the same night anymore, but Stone Cold hadn't appeared in any recent WWE programming. Endless loop of armdrags to start. Kaz yells "Goodbye, AJ" and hits a monkey flip. I like the monkey flip. The decaying old corpse Flair shows up to watch during a headlock, having missed all the fast shit so far.

Taz calls a "perfectly executed dropkick" by AJ. Eh, he's no Maven. What's more impressive to me (on paper at least) is a sliding spinning neckbreaker that not only do the commentary and crowd don't notice, Kaz doesn't even really sell. Styles Clash -> Fade to Black -> Styles Clash counter attempt, which makes a lot of sense in a lot of ways but isn't something I've seen before. Fans behind AJ, which displeases Ric. After some pretty decent action, they end up on the outside... and it results in an extremely fast 10-count and a double count out! What??

They keep rolling around in the ring and fighting in that pathetic catfight sort of way until Flair interjects. He calls the fans assholes - don't you know, that's a cheap pop, these days! - and announces that there'll be a match at Victory Road. AJ and Kaz gotta team up again to fight two mystery opponents! Who's it going to be? I hope it's Generation Me. I'd like them to get more PPV appearances.

We get a bare back shot of Angelina Love as she's picking out an outfit for her match up next. First of all, her skin looks like Hogan's. Second, if she's to be portrayed like this, why does she have a problem with a vapid beauty queen heel stable? She should be teaming with TBP again. At least, she should recognise that her replacement in the group was just down to circumstances.

Match 2: Angelina Love vs. Daffney

Holy shit, it's Daffney! It really is a pleasant surprise to see her back after her injury. Not such a pleasant surprise, though, that they've put a woman with a history of concussions against the one who's recently been known for DDT'ing her opponents on to chairs. Crowd actually likes her! Why didn't you push her before, TNA? Why did you put her in dumb shit that got her injured? Taz is pleased that Angelina picked out the top he liked. Match does not last 2 minutes (with the crowd chanting for Daffney for most of it!!) until Angelina hits a jumping Mic Check for the pin. Fans don't like that. Does Russo book the Knockouts with his fingers in his ears? How can he ignore this?

Angelina proceeds to cut a stunningly poor promo on Madison. Like, you should really watch it, it's that bad. She predicates it on Madison not being there, but then the champ shows up. Madison wants her opponent to put something on the line, like her fake boobs (I'm dreading having to track that title history...), but instead settles it on being - of course - a Title vs. Career match. Angelina agrees, sounds very Canadian, and sets another stipulation that she wins the title if Velvet or Lacey interfere. You know... Velvet and Lacey. Who are both out of action thanks to kayfabe concussion. All because of you, Angelina. Your face challenger, ladies and gentlemen.

Oh hey, we're getting a segment about the Jesse Neal/Team 3D thing! Devon mentions backstage that he's going to say something, which is the cue for yet another goldfish-memory recap. Also featuring a reminder that this was all made worse because an ECW guy went to sit down and Brother Ray forgot there was a match going on.

Devon's in the ring with Ink Inc. He appeals to his "brother" about Jesse Neal being a good guy, and rattles on and on about the Navy and the USS Cole (that "vintage" ship), and him having to carry his dead friend. This makes me conclude that Jesse Neal's body is mostly made out of cheap pop material. Ray doesn't want to know about it, declares himself the leader of the Aces and 8s Team 3D, and calls Devon an "unloyal" partner. Is it time for the breakup? Let's hope so. Let's hope they don't drag this out. Ray's just spoken with Bischoff apparently. That's why he's wearing sunglasses apparently, to hide the fact that he can't stand to look at that smiling fucking mug. It's Neal vs. Ray vs. Devon at Victory Road.

Match 3: Rob Van Dam vs. Samoa Joe

Either they're going to insert a fifth man into the world title scene, or Joe's getting buried. RVD's music isn't that over tonight. "He's all about just chilling out" -Taz on RVD. As in the popular crime, "driving while chilling out". This starts with a long staredown, which makes me think "PPV-quality match". RVD hits with a kick that really looks like it knocks the spit out of Joe. You should really watch it yourself. Muscle Buster attempts early, which seems like a bad idea. RVD lands badly on his face when shoved off the corner to the entrance walkway. Facial damage: the show. A suicide dive by Joe gets those pavlovian TNA chants again (I missed them). ECW squad show up again, and that's how I know this match is going to go quite quickly off the rails.

RVD does a moonsault off the top rope to his feet, and then deals a sliding dropkick. What did you gain from doing the flippy thing? It didn't even enhance the move. Crowd actually starts to care about what's going on in the ring more than they do the ECW guys, oddly enough. That's a first for the Impact Zone in a while. Meanwhile commentary are talking about Tommy Dreamer being Taz's best man. Joe at one point switches from a Boston Crab to its single-leg variant. Isn't that a step down in terms of pain caused? Finish comes from a lame attempt at a Coquina Clutch followed by RVD flipping off the turnbuckle and doing some sort of weird pin for the win. Not a bad match, all things considered.

Joe argues with the result, which seems kind of futile when it's a non-title match and you can't exactly get yourself inserted into the match three days in advance. So instead, he gives the referee a Muscle Buster. Or maybe he just hates the referee for being ginger. Who knows? We get a pre-record of Kurt Angle saying Anderson's not to be trusted. I was hoping that he'd mention Anderson's very complicated views on US politics and the military, but that's seemingly not to be.

Match 4: Douglas Williams vs. Jeremy Buck - Ladder Match

Doug is afraid of heights, according to Taz. That's actually not the reason why he hates ladder matches... It's because they don't use single-section ladders that you have to prop against a wall. He thinks double-sided stepladders are unnatural. A notable botch happens where Doug waits for a long time on the ladder for Jeremy to intercept him. This would be better if commentary didn't point this out. Jeremy does a weird move that's supposed to be a slingshot faceplant of Doug on to the ladder, but just seems to hurt his own tailbone. Doesn't stop him grabbing the win though. How long has it been since a Buck won? Story seems to be that Doug Williams can't do high stuff, so he's gotta do submission stuff. Way to book your champion strong.

Next up is... easily the highlight of the night. It's a PSA by Alex Shelley on Beer Money, and I couldn't do it justice by any description. You have to watch it.

Match 5: James Storm/Robert Roode/Matt Morgan vs. Alex Shelley/Chris Sabin/Hernandez

And that was a lead-in to this six-man tag match. Got to admit, I'd have liked to see Matt Morgan do a PSA on Hernandez. Have it be structured like one of those Direct Auto Insurance ads he did. This is going to be a good match, so I won't really have much to comment on. Guns do their usual spots, which never get old. Carbon Footprint just... destroys Sabin. Apparently Morgan also wants to be in Fortune. Would make sense. He could be the enforcer. The Arn Anderson. "The guy's only got two heads" -Taz. Failed Sliced Bread attempt - "a little green mould on that one", says Taz. Ew. After Morgan and Hernandez brawl to the back, a Shelley crossbody is countered into a Roode roll-up for the pin. Is that the first win for a Fortune prospect since the announcement of the group? Fuck.

Pope obviously doesn't trust Anderson because he injured him and stole his storyline. It occurs to me how many matches recently are career-threatening. All Knockouts Title matches and all of Angle's fights up the rankings. We get a bit of Kevin Nash, shooting on how he made Bischoff and about the Dungeon of Doom. Hogan's like "why did you get these broken down losers contracts?" and then Nash asks the natural question, which is "why did you get the Nasty Boys contracts?". This feels like actual backstage heat played out on air, which is... uncomfortable.

Jay Lethal time. He seems to be slipping out of the Flair voice and acting like a happy-to-be-here face. Sigh. Cheap pop gained from the beating of Lethal's brother and the illness of Lethal's mother. Congratulations, you killed all of my investment in this match! I don't want to see any more of this. But Flair shows up again to drag this out, getting cheap heat from the family angle. Come on. You're better than this. He gets red in the face from a promo. And calls a black man "boy". Jesus. Well, actually God, because that's what Ric claims he is.

Goldfish recap of Anderson hitting Hardy with a chair last week, then a reminder of the Victory Road matches. It's really weird seeing Victory Road as a July PPV, as the most memorable one to me is a March PPV...

Match 6: Mr. Anderson vs. Jeff Hardy

The Impact Zone is not just full of assholes apparently, but a meeting of "Assholes Anonymous". I don't see JBL here. He must have missed his meeting. Has he fallen off the wagon again? 7 and a half minutes to go when the bell rings, because Hardy won't hurry it up with his entrance. Dueling chants ring out as our friend the ticker reminds us about the post-show. This whole match is just stock Hardy/Anderson spots that are countered again and again. Finish is pretty neat. After a Green Bay Plunge (I like that move) Anderson attempts a Swanton Bomb (Kenton Bomb?), misses, and gets hit with Twist of Fate for three. I expected some chair drama. There was zero chair drama.

What there is, though, is Abyss, brandishing Janice about like a maniac. He overpowers both of them, but RVD makes the save, sort of. Kind of a lame finish with all the faces standing tall. But which face will win? Will Abyss win?? We're going to find out soon...

Next up: Victory Road

Rob Van Dam (c) vs. Mr. Anderson vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Abyss - for the World Heavyweight Championship
Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley/Chris Sabin) vs. Beer Money, Inc. (James Storm/Robert Roode) - for the vacant World Tag Team Championship
Douglas Williams (c) vs. Brian Kendrick - Ultimate X/Submission Match for the X Division Championship
Madison Rayne (c) vs. Angelina Love - Title vs. Career Match for the Knockouts Championship
Jay Lethal vs. Ric Flair
Kurt Angle vs. D'Angelo Dinero - Career Threatening Match
Matt Morgan vs. Hernandez - Steel Cage
Jesse Neal vs. Brother Ray vs. Brother Devon
AJ Styles/Kazarian vs. ???/???​

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
That seemed fairly solid compared to previous Impacts

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Victory Road 2010 - The Road to Victory is Paved with Bad Booking

This is thankfully the last ever Victory Road with these ugly American-print graphics. After this, we have ugly green road sign graphics instead! The opening package has that great cliche in the history of horror - creepy children's music. Abyss waxes lyrical about "they" while a bunch of random images of former and current TNA guys come in to view. Including, strangely, Christian Cage. I should probably mention, by the way - Slammiversary 2020 is tonight, and they've teased a bunch of returns with old graphics. Is this something similar? With hindsight... probably not. Anyway, I'm in a wrestling mood, so I'll do this. Abyss accepts a small flower from a gender-neutral child. Guess his Mankind-ripoff side is coming back.

Victory Road, apparently, is the "hottest PPV of the summer". Much like a dumpster fire is the hottest a dumpster can possibly be. Crowd is oddly hot (or not oddly, considering the above), given that they're about to witness the one-year anniversary show of Jenna Morasca vs. Sharmell. Oh hey, commentary actually mentions that the Knockouts match is career-threatening in the lead-in! "No less than four title matches" says Tenay, which is a PR-spin way of saying "only four title matches". What happened to the Global title? The Knockouts tag titles?

Match 1: Douglas Williams (c) vs. Brian Kendrick - Ultimate X/Submission Match for the X Division Championship

And we start off as auspiciously as ever, as the sound guy forgets for a good 10 seconds to cue up Brian Kendrick's music even when he's walking out and his tron is on. "He feels it's his faith to win" -Taz. What he's trying to say is that Kendrick wants to win by submission. I've already predicted the result of the match, considering that - Kendrick could easily win by Ultimate X, but loses because he wants to win by submission and lets Doug back in. Doug is actually selling being afraid of heights. I have no words. "Cravate-type headlock" -Tenay, again not being confident with the names of moves.

Taz believes the front headlock is one of the most painful moves you can be in, forgetting he's supposed to be commentating by wrestling logic instead of real life logic. Crowd has noticeably cooled off. The logic of incluing X DIvision matches early on is getting the crowd hot early, but it doesn't really work when the first several minutes have been dedicated to meandering submission counters. "Grab that Gigantic Rex" -Taz. First high-risk thing I see is a leg lock back suplex off the top rope. They have a customary punching fight off the scaffold, and Kendrick falls and lands awkwardly. I worry that he's injured himself. Bizarre scenes where Doug gives Kendrick a glove slap. By Simpsons logic, he's already won!

Turns out, those gloves were a magic feather that fixed Williams' fear of heights and allowed him to climb the scaffold for the first time. Kendrick brings him down - but the fall knocks him out and lets Williams get the technical submission victory with a rear naked choke. That's actually a really inventive finish! I like it! Why have it as an Ultimate X Match, though? Why cocktease the fast paced high flying stuff but give us none of it? Kendrick needs smelling salts.

Christy's interview time, with Brother Ray. He uses this time to actually, real-ass promo on a backstage interviewer. "Just like your edition of Playboy - a failure." That was uncalled for. He brings up Jesse Neal's dead friend too. How come is it that whenever anything has a connection to the US military, the heel in the feud has to be all "dead soldiers deserved it" all of a sudden? Christy throughout looks shocked and betrayed, like she's about to cry on camera. Ray notices. I feel terrible for her.

gOiZe9g.png

Goldfish-memory video package time. Didn't they show this last Impact too? It lets me highlight one thing. Devon says to Ray "I promise on our father's grave". I can't believe they're still pretending to be real life brothers even now.

Match 2: Jesse Neal vs. Brother Ray vs. Brother Devon

Ray comes out and... hides behind a piece of the set. If I did that to Christy Hemme, I'd be so ashamed I'd need to hide myself too. You can absolutely see Ray's shadow through the set. Jesse Neal doesn't, and gets sneak attacked from behind. Devon has been boarded up in his dressing room, and doesn't get out. A cameraman is clearly there, but doesn't help him. What the fuck? Camera guys are dicks, apparently.

This match opens with a good two minutes of beatdown by Ray. Jesse only gets momentum for about five seconds before it's back to the beatdown. But of course we don't have to care about that, as the same four ECW guys as usual show up and the crowd forgets about everything else. Neal does get a spear, but the bald referee's fast count still only reaches two. Ray grabs a chair, and a run-in by Shannon Moore creates a distraction to let him use it. Even though triple threats don't have disqualification? Who am I kidding, Russo would probably have a DQ in a triple threat.

Devon finally gets out, the Team 3D members fight for a while, Jesse accidentally spears Devon, Bubba Bomb, pin. That really wasn't much of a match. Kind of boring overall. Devon and Neal are in the ring, and the crowd only cares about the ECW guys who continually show up late to every show.

We get a Knockouts video package! That's very rare, and so I won't complain about it. What I will complain about is the generic porno beat it's set to. This entire experience only really sells to me how it's a match between two heels who do heelish things, and yet one of them is booked as a face. On top of that, according to the crowds, the wrong woman is booked as the face. One of the Knockouts Tale of the Tape bullet points is "Love Rayne O'er Me". I cringed.

Match 3: Madison Rayne (c) vs. Angelina Love - Title vs. Career Match for the Knockouts Championship

Angelina still doing the Beautiful People entrance. This is actually quite fast-paced. Mild TNA chants for... a lariat on the outside of the ring? That's certainly one I've never heard before. Madison does her weird headscissors hump move, but she also does a sexual taunt before it. I'm uncomfortable. Guess I was wrong, crowd is actually behind Angelina in this match. Madison steals SoCal Val's steel chair, but gets a Botox Injection (weird name for a kick move) in the face for her troubles.

Suddenly, a biker shows up (how do you ride a motorcycle into a building?) and attacks Angelina. After trying and failing to take the motorcycle helmet off to confirm if it's Velvet or Lacey under there, the ref calls for the DQ anyway. Madison believes she's gotten away with it... until Borash makes an announcement. New Knockouts Champion - Angelina Love... apparently. This is going to be a bit of unnecessary intrigue in the future, and I don't like it. Madison rides off into the sunset with the mysterious biker lady, in a way that is very much not heterosexual.

Christy's back for an interview with Anderson. He compares facing Jeff Hardy again to "the left butt cheek meeting the right butt cheek", and offers to give a demonstration with Christy. What is it with Christy-abuse tonight? I feel bad for her again. This is, however, a pretty fun promo otherwise by Anderson, in which he acts as Dr. Frankenstein looking to control Abyss, and imitates Elon Musk smoking weed someone else smoking weed to promo on RVD. "When the smoke clears - whether it's for medicinal purposes or otherwise". Nice. Christy disapproves of the rest of his promo, which is why you don't lead with the offer to play with her ass.

Match 4: AJ Styles/Kazarian vs. ???/???

AJ's shower of pyro looks really lame tonight. Did they downgrade him due to him not being a member of Fortune yet? Turns out the mystery opponents are... Rob Terry and Samoa Joe. Two random heavies who aren't in another feud (wait, wasn't Rob Terry in another feud? With an Orlando someone? Nah, can't be important enough that I have to remember it). Joe is over. Terry... not so much. Styles tries to sell Terry as an actual threat by sending Kazarian toward him. It doesn't work. Joe murdering both guys on the outside is way more over. As the match goes on, the crowd actually start to like him. Turns out being in the ring with three good workers makes Terry look decent, who knew?

Terry slingshots Joe for a suicide dive, resulting in an actual well-deserved TNA chant. Ref distraction lets the heels finally get some momentum. Cool tag team spot where AJ's about to be slammed by Joe and Kaz holds his legs to let him do a tornado DDT. It looks really clean. Terry does a gorilla press slam, and AJ only rotates at the last second so it looks like he'll land on his head. That's terrifying. Desmond Wolfe comes out to interfere but gets wrecked by Terry. Sad. This does, however, let AJ and Kaz back in. Springboard 450 finishes. It's nice to see that move coming back. Wolfe shows up to congratulate himself but gets fucked up by Samoa Joe. Guess that's the feud now!

Christy interview with Abyss. She's visibly uncomfortable. "They gave me the blueprint" and "the know-how" for Janice, apparently. Because a 2x4 covered with nails is such a complex thing that needs know-how and a blueprint. The amnesiac contingent of the TNA Wrestling audience will be pleased to see yet another Morgan/Hernandez video package. The people who love steel structures will be happy, also, because we get a couple of minutes of extended shots of an empty steel cage. You'd think this was a Lockdown promo package.

Match 5: Matt Morgan vs. Hernandez - Steel Cage Match

"A steel cage match with escape rules" -Borash. Oh. Oh no. This is probably going to have some lame finish involving just walking out the door. Hernandez and Morgan start by tossing each other into the sides and the corner again and again. You'd think they'd break the cage if they keep ramming into it. It doesn't help that the commentary talk about how the cage has zero give. We've got blood early. I'll be honest... Morgan and Hernandez are two guys I don't really want to watch. So this commentary will be briefer than usual.

Morgan does a Damien Sandow rather than going out through the door. Like an idiot. You'd think he's the face. He then again taunts instead of doing it... and teases climbing up the cage instead. His foot's in the door, and he even chooses not to! Why? Hernandez apparently took the time to blade in three places while Morgan was being dumb. Teased Border Toss... couldn't Hernandez do the Border Toss on Morgan before? So why is it difficult now? Commentary reckons an eye rake even though there was no sign of an eye rake. We're back to faces being idiots, as Hernandez attempts a top of the cage splash but Morgan rolls away. And yet, we still get TNA chants.

Finish is dumb. Morgan cuffs Hernandez, and instead of going through the door, climbs up the cage. And continues to taunt. Again. And again. And again. Enough time for Hernandez to break the cuffs and launch himself head-first through the door. He must care as little about his own health as he does about others. Anyway, Hernandez wins, even though by logic he shouldn't have, and this just makes Morgan look like a geek.

Christy interview number 4, and she's up against Ric Flair. "Sometimes I think you're blonde" -Flair. I'd suggest there's a way you could check, but we've had enough Christy abuse for this PPV. Flair claims to have invented pro wrestling. Even with the talk of Jay Lethal breastfeeding and Ric's hotel room antics, this was actually the most respectful Christy interview we've had yet. Surprising, given it's Flair. Commentary rambles about the Flair/Lethal intrigue then we get a promo package about the Flair/Lethal intrigue. Did they think we'd have forgotten this after less than a minute?

Match 6: Jay Lethal vs. Ric Flair

Lethal's really toned down the Flair aspects of his entrance, and is wearing a "Living the Dream" cape. I hate that he's acting the "happy to be here" geek now. Where's the confidence? Where's the fire from when he first impersonated Flair? "Space Mountain is out of order" sign in the crowd. Maybe that's not a reference to Ric Flair being old, but just some advice to anyone who wants to head to the Magic Kingdom tomorrow. This is really slow and limited from the off, starting with a minute staredown that feels like the 30 minute staredown. We get an extended shot of a guy with glasses and a beard in the crowd shouting incoherently at Flair.

Lethal's very clearly having to slow down to make Flair not look so outclassed in terms of athletic ability. It's like a match at 50% speed. Moonsault misses, and Lethal sells his crotch for some reason. Does it really protrude out that far? If he'd not turned into a starstruck loser so quickly, he'd probably have called his penis a roller coaster that's bigger and more modern than Space Mountain. Dueling chants are really loud and really even. We get a very long Figure 4 during which Earl Hebner exclusively checks on Lethal while Flair uses the ropes as leverage. TNA's senior official Earl Hebner: corrupt and inept!

Taz sounds like he's about to call Jay Lethal "Jay Leno". Flair fails to budge on a sunset flip, so Lethal responds by trying to pull his trunks down. The crowd audibly cringes at this, as do I. Lethal puts Flair in the Figure 4 and after a long period of stalling... he taps? Out of nowhere? Maybe it's the slow pace throwing me off, but I thought Flair was going to fight out of that one. Commentary uses the word "victory" a lot in relation to Lethal. Maybe that's a reference to the PPV name? I'm not convinced. You're not guaranteed to see a sacrifice at Sacrifice, but you should expect at least one victory at Victory Road. On that note, when we get to No Surrender, if anyone wins by submission it's false advertising.

Christy interview number 5 is Jeff Hardy. Hardy claims his strategy for the main even will entail keeping the Victory Road hot and pleasing the fans. Because, it seems, the fans will send him their energy and allow him to charge a Spirit Bomb that knocks out all three men. Maybe that's how it works in his interesting, interesting mind.

Match 7: Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley/Chris Sabin) vs. Beer Money, Inc. (James Storm/Robert Roode) - for the vacant World Tag Team Championship

It's all about the beer, and the image of money on my custom cowboy hat, according to James Storm. That's the only cowboy hat that can be accurately called a "ten-gallon hat", because that's how much alcohol Storm gets through in a day. Commentary is particularly lame this time, going over the possible dynamics (Guns have more experience as a team, Beer Money are bigger, etc...). It's a shame, because the match has had a pretty strong start. Only just now I notice that the ropes are red, white and blue too. Eww.

Taz wants to talk about old tap dancers but doesn't know any of them. Guns' double team moves look so smooth. "BEER!" "MONEY!" "SUCKS!" is back again, and I'm pleased to hear it. Commentary singing the praises of the rear gutwrench. Would anyone tap to that? I'd like to see that. Someone to get over a lame hold as a finisher. Sabin dropkicks Storm while giving a rolling DDT to Roode, which looks effortlessly awesome. Guns are absolutely on top of their game. Tenay calls the Eye of the Storm a "whirly bird-type move". Which sounds as lame as the move actually looks.

"This is awesome" chants while Storm is crawling with a beer bottle. Sounds like a Saturday night. Blinded referee requires the introduction of Earl Hebner, who's already proven he's not competent last match. Why? "Quickness, speed, overall agility of the Guns" -Tenay, as if he's trying to say those are in any way different qualities. Double referees - double pinfall finish? That sucks. Guess we'll have to continue with this. Earl and Brian Hebner bicker until it's decided that there will be a restart!

Roode is standing stunned an incredibly long time after an Alex Shelley superkick. It's almost as if he was made to take superkicks. Foreshadowing? Neckbreaker + crossbody finisher wins it! New World Tag Team Champions - Motor City Machine Guns! "Finally", chant the Impact Zone crowd. It feels like we've been waiting so long for MCMG to get this win! Let's hope they get a long reign...

We get a package for Angle vs. Pope, but it really doesn't put the result in any doubt. Pope isn't at 100%, and Angle won't be retired on a C-tier PPV. Even though they did retire Tara on a C-tier PPV. Shit, maybe the result is in doubt.

Match 8: Kurt Angle vs. D'Angelo Dinero - Career Threatening Match

Pope has "Pope is pimpin'" in front of his entrance theme now, even though it's distinctive enough at the start that it doesn't need it. Pope's money rain rating: pretty good, even though most of the bills are crumpled. Angle comes out in a shirt, which worries me. Thankfully he takes it off. Kid in the front row looks delightfully dorky after taking Pope's sunglasses. I swear there's so much emote potential in this show.

I9Xhkm3.png

We open with several minutes of mat stuff, while commentary doesn't say much relevant to the match other than "huh, this is cool mat stuff". Yeah, it's cool mat stuff. I don't have much to say about it either. Pope holds the ring ropes open for Angle... That's a very "happy just to be here" thing for you to do, isn't it? This is why he never got to be World Champion. Not the fact that he wasn't around in the Monday Night Wars, totally not that. Taz actually breaks down how all these holds work, which is cool.

This match has been, in all honesty, kind of good. Pope can certainly do mat stuff. Even though Angle is the king of catch-type chain wrestling by most counts, Pope hangs with him well. This could have been a decent feud had it not been just a stepping stone in Angle's race back to the top. Pope hits a Codebreaker that seems really slow. Angle Slam doesn't get a pin, which is interesting given how Pope's been booked. Roll-up attempt is really cleanly reversed into the ankle lock and Pope taps. Pretty good match, but the result was obvious.

One final interview with Christy, who's here to talk to RVD. He gives a fairly short I Am Going To Win The Upcoming Match speech. He does however talk about shoving "that 2x4 with nails in it" up Abyss' ass. It's going to be nice when they start calling Janice by her name, as that'll sound much less clunky in promos. Tale of the Tape erroneously calls Anderson's finisher the "Mic Drop".

Match 9: Rob Van Dam (c) vs. Mr. Anderson vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Abyss - for the World Heavyweight Championship

Anderson's entrance doesn't feature him saying "Anderson" at all, letting the fans shoot both shots. I'm frankly stunned that his ego let him do that. RVD's entrance music is still over, apparently, despite being utter shit. I'm glad that Hardy hasn't yet reached the stage where he paints extra eyes on his eyelids. Having the double-eye thing while he was high on who knows what would be even freakier than usual. RVD nearly kicks a cameraman. Match starts without Abyss even entering the ring. Impact Zone mostly interested in calling themselves assholes.

Taz criticises the others for taking out Abyss early because...? It's valid strategy. RVD pulls off a monkey flip on a legit 350+ pound man. His legs should be Hall of Famers on their own. Abyss tosses RVD into the guardrail, probably doing more damage to the legs of the guys in the front row. Commentary continues to bring up the possibility of a DQ in a multi-man, despite that not being viable. This is a delightful mess of stock spots. We see a ridiculously low angle for some high spots, including a slingshot crossbody from Hardy and a flying double axe handle from Anderson. That looks cool as anything, and I'm down with it.

One of the many spots I really like: Tower of Doom suplexes. They're the biggest benefit of having a big man in multi-mans. Anderson pushes RVD off the corner, and he hits the side of the entrance walkway and confirms that it's not solid. That saddens me. We get about two minutes of pretty good match between Hardy and Anderson, Abyss gives Hardy a Black Hole Slam on to Anderson, and RVD hits a frog splash on top of Abyss, hitting all three at once. "There was some banging going on there" -Taz, on a pileup of four men. Anyway, RVD's still champ.

Abyss says "screw letting the champion have his moment", and attacks him with Janice. He doesn't land a hit, thankfully, but he does tear up a bit of canvas. Hopefully they repair that... See you next Impact!

Last edited:

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Impact July 15, 2010 - Living Next Door to Janice

Last time at Victory Road... actually, it wasn't all that long ago. We get recaps of matches that I just watched a few hours ago, featuring more Team 3D tension, Styles and Kazarian actually getting wins, submission victories, and Abyss' "girl". Episode title is "They're Here?" I doubt that. Right as we kick off with the pyro, Tenay lets us know that we're going to have that controversial double fall settled in a Best of 5 Series! Yes!! Weird not to build to it, but we're going to get 5 great matches out of it, so who's complaining? Match 1 is a ladder match. Also, Sarita and Wilde in a street fight (oh yeah, it's that feud that only happened on Xplosion) and Jay Lethal vs. Jeff Hardy. The graphic spoils that Hardy is #2 contender and Lethal is #5; however, this does lead us into the rest of the TNA Top 10 Rankings!

The TNA Top 10 Rankings: June/July 2010
10. Rob Terry (N) (-)
9. D'Angelo Dinero (8) (↓1)
8. Kurt Angle (10) (↑2)
7. Hernandez (N) (-)
6. AJ Styles (4) (↓2)
5. Jay Lethal (7) (↑2)
4. Samoa Joe (6) (↑2)
3. Mr. Anderson (3) (-)
2. Jeff Hardy (2) (-)
1. Abyss (1) (-)​

RIP Desmond Wolfe, I guess. The music that this has been set to felt rather Christmassy, actually. Abyss comes out with Janice in one hand and a massive slab of meat in the other. "Their" plan for RVD is beyond extreme. Is he trying to implicate the ECW guys as being members of "them", or deny it? Janice is named for the first time! It's another red letter day, and it comes at the hands of Abyss. He finds Janice sexy. Maybe having her shoved up his ass might be OK. "Eat the beef" chants, which he does, munching on raw meat after beating it up with rusty nails. Also: these were the days when you could say bitch on TV.

We go to the back where Taylor Wilde and Sarita are already whaling on each other. Can't it at least wait until the actual Street Fight you've got coming up next? All this does is reveal that most of the "offices" in the Impact Zone are isolated sets designed to look like offices and hallways. Sarita almost gets smacked in the face with a bit of piping, which would be horrifying.

Match 1: Taylor Wilde vs. Sarita - Street Fight

This has just started when we get back from commercial. I like the touch of street fights being conducted in street clothes. And I'm not just saying this because Wilde's outfit has a non-existent neckline. Crowd goes wild for Sarita squirting water in her former partner's face. There's a surprising intensity here by Russo-era Knockouts standards. We're informed that we're getting an I Quit match later on top of the ladder match. Impact Is Stipulations!

Sarita's arm getting worked hard. It feels like she might actually break it. Sarita grabs someone's purse and chokes Wilde out with the straps. "You can get fired for that in some companies" -Taz. Oh yeah, Daniel Bryan had been fired pretty recently for choking someone out on TV. I guess that's a WWE shot, but it's a pretty well deserved one in all honesty. Sarita takes it by referee's decision as her music that's totally not a ripoff of Smooth plays. To be fair, it's a good ripoff of Smooth.

RVD in the back. "That's a hell of a weapon you got, Abyss... but I don't get intimidated easily" -a quote from the recent TNA parody gay porn RVD's backstage walking promo. Miss Tessmacher's apparently got to hold the fort while Hogan and Bischoff are away, and that includes dealing with Kevin Nash. Who responds to being let down by hitting on her. There is something inherently sexually threatening about Kevin Nash hitting on someone. Tess doesn't seem to cotton on to that vibe.

Match 2: Douglas Williams vs. Brian Kendrick - I Quit Match

Kendrick was apparently not happy with the result at Victory Road. Why would be? He knocked himself out like a moron. I don't see how this will be any different to the Victory Road match, as very little of the Ultimate X match was used so this won't be much of a different style. Doug holds Kendrick's jaws open, for some reason. This presumably causes pain but stops him from saying the two match-ending words. What strategic gain did he even make from it?

We see moves like a catapult, a half crab, an exploder suplex... I like the variety. But we also hear a lot of Kendrick shouting "No, no, no" into the mic. The climbing gloves are back, and he gives a good old glove slap (baby, glove slap). Kendrick unties his hair, which apparently has the same effect as Angle taking his straps down. Cobra Clutch wins it. I wish this had been for the title. Kendrick would make a better X Division champion.

Immediately after, Kevin Nash shows up. Guess he didn't get to see Hogan and Bischoff, so that means he has to promo during Kendrick's celebration - and chokeslam Kendrick when he's denied. He flops his big ego out, hits on Tessmacher again, and tells everyone that he's going to be destroying young up-and-comers because he can. No change from the usual, then? Jackknife is cancelled because jarrett shows up, floating the idea of Nash being suspended for dissent. Apparently, Hogan and Bischoff and their allies are the faces, not that we'd know from that course of action. It seems the next big broadcast-dominating feud is gonna be Nash (eww) vs. jarrett (eww) over "Are Hogan And Bischoff Good?"

After the break we get Nash talking about jarrett, noting how it's odd that his control was taken by Hogan and Bischoff and yet he's defending them. He still sounds rather nonchalant about the whole thing, like usual.

Match 3: Desmond Wolfe vs. Rob Terry vs. Samoa Joe

Terry and Joe are understandably pissed that Wolfe helped them lose. The only reason this isn't a tag match is because Wolfe doesn't have any friends anymore. Especially not Chelsea. Oh shit, Magnus is back, and he's on commentary. "You have not aged well" -Magnus on Mike Tenay, a guy he's been away from for months, not years. "This is looking like gorillas in the mist" -Magnus, who is lucky that every man in this match passes for white. Taz and Magnus are both big fans of Chelsea. Desmond can do a card trick apparently. "He gets cards out and women disappear". Magnus is actually entertaining - it's because he's not in the ring. Finisher is a Coquina Clutch that pretty much kills Wolfe. Joe sees Terry as worthy. Not Wolfe. He is a proxy for the TNA bookers.

Flair's got a big announcement with more history and more attitude, apparently. It's not going to be "Sorry, I lost and I should not be wrestling at my age", even though it should be.

Match 4: Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley/Chris Sabin) [0] vs. Beer Money, Inc. (James Storm/Robert Roode) [0] - World Tag Team Championship Best of 5 Series Ladder Match

The thing on the ladder is an open contract for the next match stipulation choice, something that's shown by the camera but not drawn attention to by commentators before the match starts. Sabin hates double suplex spots, and catches Shelley on the way down to deny one. Sabin without jet-black hair looks wrong. He gets crotched on a ladder at one point, which must be painful. After a ladder-based stomp by Shelley, James Storm seems to be selling his crotch as well. I've used the same line about "his dick goes that far??" before, so I won't do it again.

"Propping a ladder on another ladder" is a good spot. It's a shame Taz only wants to talk about Erector sets. A lot of fun stock ladder spots in this one. Completely mental ladder spots thanks to the Guns lead to very loud TNA chants, and I'm with them! This is is a very good match, and there's potentially 4 more of these to go. Storm and Sabin bizarrely fight at the top of a ladder that isn't even centred. Ref bump means Sabin can grab the contract, but isn't seen before James Storm smashes him with a beer bottle and takes the contract away! Nice finish to an actually PPV-quality match.

Abyss is in the back abusing a watermelon with Janice and eating the chunks off those rusty nails. Taz reckons he's moved up the food chain. Isn't watermelon down the food chain from beef?

Match 5: D'Angelo Dinero vs. Matt Morgan

Morgan gets a half-jobber entrance, as in he's actually seen walking to the ring a little bit. Pope's money rain rating: wait, all those dollars were actually Pope-print? 0/10. This is a very short match. Morgan hits all his basic Morgan spots, but it's never in doubt that Pope is winning. Despite all those enthusiastic "DDE" chants, he finishes it off with a Codebreaker. Wait, is that continuity from the match with Angle? I guess it's continuity! It looked really good on Pope's end, but Morgan didn't sell it that well.

Taz calls this an upset victory, despite the fact that Pope is ranked and Morgan isn't. Morgan beats on Pope after the match, giving him a Carbon Footprint before teasing the Hernandez-killer spot. Mr. Anderson makes the save, and plays his "untrustworthy face" role to perfection, tricking the heel into thinking he wants in on the beating before backing him into the corner and stomping a mudhole. Maybe I like Anderson now. Who knows?

Velvet and Lacey appear for the first time in a month! Yay! Velvet is pissed at Madison because the biker lady is now more important to her than them. Lacey wants to give Madison a chance for some reason. You go, Lacey, you effortlessly pretty dullard. Also Velvet has squeezed herself into a ludicrous dress once again.

Speaking of TBP, Madison Rayne's really out here right now. She's promoing what feels like a prepared statement, with how bad she is at delivering it. It's getting what chants. In fact, it probably is a prepared statement, given the bombshell that she plans to sue TNA in 7 days if she doesn't get the title back. The reason being that the biker lady is neither Velvet nor Lacey. Seems fair, to be honest. Velvet is still angry that she wasn't consulted on the new team member. "You've been taking your dumb blonde pills again" -Madison, who unlike Velvet, is off her meds.

Finally, Angelina Love shows up and tells Madison the truth: that no woman in this ring can act, that Kim Kardashian is an Oscar winner compared to them. Come on, that's unfair. Kim had a brilliant independent starring role with Ray J back in the day. Angelina thinks Velvet is the biker lady. "We'd recognise those big fake boobs everywhere", says Miss Two Balloons On A Twig. Camera guy gets a shot of Velvet's breasts for good measure. It does, though, end with a catfight, the biker lady showing up, and Madison giving Angelina the DDT-on-a-chair treatment. Looks like this feud is still going. Yay?

Jeff Hardy opines on his match: "The question is: Can Jay Lethal beat Jeff Hardy?" Well, I suppose that's the point of having a wrestling match between you two, isn't it? If we knew already, why would we be having this match?

Match 6: Jeff Hardy vs. Jay Lethal

Lethal airs the quiet confidence of someone who's beaten up a senile old man over the weekend. Got to admire the character work there. The Ladies Creatures of the Night are happy at Hardy's entrance. Pretty early in the match, the former ECW guys show up, much later than usual. Hey, ECW guys. You missed a street fight, an I Quit match, and a really nice ladder match. Those would seem up your alley. I hope at least that you DVR'd this.

"The Whole F'n Sign Guy" in the crowd. Don't tell me they got Sign Guy Dudley in too? Next week we're going to get another street fight as part 2 of the series, apparently, as well as Angle/Hernandez. Our friend the ticker is here to tell us about the post-show. This is a rather even match but ends predictably, with Hardy getting the win with a Swanton. Abyss is headed to the ring apparently, as Ric Flair's announcement begins...

Ric Flair's going to make an announcement that isn't really earth shattering - Styles and Kazarian are in Fortune now. He's way more effusive now than he was then. Walk-in by Desmond Wolfe, who wants to be in "Four Chewn" because he did the run-in that helped AJ and Kaz win. Before they can properly argue, in comes Abyss with a big fat Janice and scatters Fortune. "RVD, come to me!" -another line from the TNA parody gay porno Abyss calling out his opponent for the next PPV.

When RVD comes out Abyss doesn't just nail him with Janice, but instead talks about them. They wanted him to have what is apparently a "grab the weapon"-type ladder match with Janice at the top. I'm down with this. Hard Justice deserves a pretty "hard" main event. RVD seems to ignore Abyss' rambling, and talks about his title, and how it's amazing. "You know what I really love about being World Champion?" -RVD, resisting the temptation to say "extra weed money". They fight a bit, and RVD's about to be Janice, until...

Mick Foley comes out! A man who has recently been fired returns with impunity! Abyss is naturally shocked by how Foley's dodged the consequences of being disliked by Bischoff, which allows the former ECW guys to jump the barricade and attack Abyss. They fuck up security too and a bunch of midcarders, and some random fat guys from the back too? I don't know anymore. Pat Kenney and Al Snow (who are apparently road agents for TNA at this point) show up and... join the ECW guys? It's hard to tell.

This is a several minute chaotic brawl involving Florida police, and Jeff jarrett shows up looking confused, until Dixie Carter turns up saying "Stop! I invited them!" Uh, what? Why would you invite someone who's hurting your home-grown talent? Oh wait, yeah, you hired Hogan and Bischoff. I forgot. Everyone's about as confused as I am as this Impact ends. It was... a ride. I'm glad I double-headered this one. Hopefully Slammiversary 2020 tonight will keep me on a high. See you next Impact!

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Why that Impact look better than the PPV tho

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Impact July 22, 2010 - Extreme Fools

We start, as per usual, with a clip of Abyss talking about "them". This seems to be an update from the Victory Road video package, with new stuff such as Abyss chowing down on raw meat. He's probably going to end up with food poisoning, and there's nothing "they" can do to stop it. We're also reminded, thankfully(?), of how the ECW guys invaded a TNA show and none of it made sense, especially when Dixie Carter came out and admitted she'd invited them. Well, to be fair, Dixie Carter making terrible decisions for her company does make sense. She appears to be just back from shopping when we see an "earlier today" of her.

Finally, the intro is back! And it's been updated, containing clips of Tommy Dreamer and weird particle effects on the punches, at the expense of the X Division and most of the Knockouts. Still get that TBP entrance in, though. That's where the money is! After a brief card run down, we're straight into a match! And it's for a belt that I don't think I've seen in a long time.

Match 1: Rob Terry (c) vs. AJ Styles - for the Global Championship

How the mighty have fallen. The Phenomenal One is competing for the D-tier belt, again. A belt that Rob Terry hasn't been coming out with most of the time. Kazarian looks like a Karen with that suit and ponytail. Kazaren? Big Rob is the longest reigning Global Champion, mostly because the bookers forgot to put him in matches. When you put him next to AJ, Rob really isn't that big. He's not that much of a giant, which hurts his look. This match consists of AJ trying his hardest to make Rob look good, and failing. It's finished pretty quickly, too, as AJ pins the flailing "big" man while Kaz holds down his legs. New Global Champion - AJ Styles. The quintessential TNA Original, one of the best in the world, needed help to beat Rob Terry. What is this booking?

After a typical recap of Mick Foley coming out and a reminder that Dixie Carter's gonna talk about inviting the ECW guys, we get some Knockouts locker room. Sarita and Madison are gossiping about the size of Velvet's breasts. Didn't we go over this last week? What's all this talk about one particular bosom from one Knockout? Velvet argues with Madison while Lacey tries to make these two be friends again, and my takeaway is two things:
  1. Hm, I guess Velvet's a face now.
  2. How does she keep squeezing herself into these dresses? Dear fucking Lord.
We get a brief argumentative conference involving Dixie Carter and the road agents, which lasts about a minute until Pat Kenney thinks to close the door. Why does no one else do that?

Match 2: Madison Rayne/Sarita vs. Angelina Love/Taylor Wilde

I'm disappointed that neither Taylor nor Sarita tries to co-ordinate their entrance with their tag partner. Before the match, Earl Hebner tries to tell Angelina that she's got to hand the Knockouts Championship back to Madison now. This is absolutely not a promo by someone who's good at talking, or even competent at it, so I'll try my best to transcribe it for you so that you can understand what he's trying to announce.

"Angelina... Angelina... the Boad of Directors has instructed me... that they have no peroof of the identifee to the person that was on the back of that motorcycle that was involved in your title match at Victy Road. So, there four. There four. [Madison screaming in the background] You must surrenduh.... thebelt. Please."

So, there you have it. New Knockouts Champion - Madison Rayne, I guess. Match starts as two brawls between the two rivalries, until Madison tosses Angelina into Sarita by mistake. I genuinely smiled at that. Referee never once has full control of this match, which is why it's just as well it turns out to be so short. It's at most a couple of minutes before Wilde and Sarita brawl to the outside, and Angelina hits Madison with a facebuster to win. "She's hot - and she's angry too" -Taz on Angelina.

Biker lady's out after the match. Velvet and Lacey come out too, thus eliminating every Knockout that's in action from the contention. Unless it's Daffney. I hope it's Daffney. Madison gets on the back of the motorcycle (the biker lady was on the front of the motorcycle! Earl Hebner was wrong!) and instructs the BPs to join. Lacey does, Velvet doesn't. It must hurt to lose all your friends over such an insignificant thing as Knockouts gold. Being Velvet Sky is suffering.

We get an "earlier today" of the ECW squad in the back, just walking and talking. Or just walking and moping in Raven's case. What purpose does this even serve? We know the ECW guys are in tonight, otherwise why would Dixie Carter have an announcement? Whenever ECW's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's ECW?" Anyway... 3 matches already? We're only 20 minutes in.

Match 3: Kurt Angle vs. Hernandez - Career Threatening Match

Angle is way over, and commentary responds to his entrance by talking about ECW guys for a solid minute. Including how Tommy Dreamer injured his knee in a non-wrestling segment. Way to sell your product. No sign of Hernandez having an injured head, despite what happened at Victory Road. Or brain damage. Maybe he's got nothing in there to damage. Case in point, he does a shoulder backbreaker drop and it looks super unsafe for both Kurt and himself. Whenever he does a move, I audibly cringe because I think he's going to injure someone.

Angle goes for the Angle Slam, and then goes for the pin after it. Why? Angle Slam never gets pins these days. And even after it gets a two-count, he doesn't immediately try for the ankle lock. That was a winning formula before. Finish does come from an ankle lock, though, as Hernandez delays a vertical suplex too long and Kurt drops down and pulls off the submission. The celebration of Angle's continued climb is cut off... for Kevin Nash. Of course. He slowly walks in, grabs a fucking mic, and phones it in as he calls for Jeff jarrett. The amusing thing is that even though this show is taped, we're expected to believe that Nash waits an entire ad break.

Eventually, though, jarrett does show up. It's basically the same promo as last week, at least initially. Nash does make a metaphor about shitting in a punch bowl, and asks jarrett about almonds. "The young guys are the victims" -Nash, who destroyed a young guy to get what he wanted last week. Nash is getting a face reaction, and jarrett isn't getting much of a reaction at all. It's overall just... a lame segment. No other word for it. It's lame.

We get footage of Dixie Carter pacing backstage. They REALLY want us to follow her on Twitter and Facebook, for the record. Angle comes up to her, and is apprehensive about the ECW guys. It'd be natural, given his only ECW appearance saw him leave in disgust after the Sandman crucifixion. Is this continuity? Cross-promotional continuity! "I know you have no reason to trust me - in fact, you have negative reason to trust me, given my track record - but trust me, please" -Dixie, probably.

Match 4: Jeff Hardy vs. Samoa Joe

JB announces a 10-minute time limit. Why? These matches never go to time. Tenay reckons this will be a wrestling purists' match, featuring a guy whose biggest claim to fame is throwing himself off high things. Bischoff is literally phoning in some guest commentary as it turns out, and they want him to talk about... the ECW guys. Not the prospect of a match featuring Samoa Joe and Jeff Hardy for the first time. Bisch's response is essentially "I have no idea what Dixie's thinking", but in long. Very insightful, Eric! Thanks! I'm glad you're here to add context to this programme! So yeah, the first 2 minutes of this were just the smiling fucking mug rambling.

Hardy using heelish rest holds, but the crowd chants for him anyway. The two are fighting like they've already gone 15+ minutes, somehow, including an exchanging punches spot. "Not just Smash Mouth" -Taz. Joe's snap slam always looks so crisp. Fairly loud dueling chants. You love to see it. Joe busts out an STF! I'm surprised the commentators managed to resist a shot at WWE at this time. Something like "The best place to see an STF is right here on Impact!". See, I'm writing these commentators' scripts for them. They should be paying me. After a bit more brawling... this match actually goes to time. Colour me shocked. They keep brawling like they hate each other for some reason, as the crowd chants "Let them fight" (as is custom) and a couple more refs break them up.

Dixie gives the same spiel to Jeff jarrett as she did to Angle, complete with a request to spread the word around that she's doing a good thing. #StandUpForTNA, anyone? Up next, the "bad blood" between Mr. Anderson and Matt Morgan is settled... even though I don't even remember them feuding outside of what happened last week.

Match 5: Mr. Anderson vs. Matt Morgan

Morgan comes out in what looks like a custom bathrobe. The commentators confirm that the entirety of his match is based on last week. "Are there any assholes in the building?" -Anderson, not knowing that Bischoff is away. This supposed 7-foot, 300 pound giant is rolled up by Anderson twice in a row right at the start. Wrestling these days seems to dilute how difficult a roll-up would be, especially on a big guy. It's not the easy way out, it's not a cheap pin, or anything. I reckon that sequence made Morgan look weaker given how he was subject to two two-counts in a row in the first 30 seconds. Not that Morgan was booked strong anyway.

This match, overall, is like the Pope match, only slightly longer. So can we say Pope is stronger than Anderson, then? Morgan gets his regular spots until Anderson gets the opening, hits the Mic Check, and puts him away, followed by being subject to a post-match attack by Morgan. Notably, Pope doesn't return the favour and come in for the save after Morgan hits Anderson with his own microphone and cuts his head open. With friends like these...

Match 6: Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley/Chris Sabin) [0] vs. Beer Money, Inc. (James Storm/Robert Roode) [1] - World Tag Team Championship Best of 5 Series Street Fight

All of them wrestle in shirts. Just like last week, I like the touch of street clothes being involved in street fights. Seems the side of the entrance walkway is solid this week, when it didn't look like it was before. Refurbishment? Sabin goes on a huge run up the entrance ramp before going for a running dropkick. Roode is getting murdered, but is suddenly fine after getting a bit of offense in. A missed chairshot hitting the turnbuckle makes a seriously bone-shakingly loud sound. A suicide dive by Sabin sees him go face first into a steel chair. Is that a chairshot to the head, technically? Either way, yikes. Roode goes face first into another chair later.

Our friend the ticker makes its earliest appearance in a long time, but doesn't have anything new to say. Beer spit spot doesn't win it, somehow. Roode's head is murdered a little more by a kendo stick and a garbage can. Somehow, both referees get bumped. Do you really need to overbook this sort of match? Really, Russo? Still, it gets us a visual pinfall, and visual pinfalls are cool. Then a beer bottle shot and Storm waking up the referee gets it and Beer Money are up 2-0. "If the referee was a wank" -Taz, whose enunciation causes a lot of problems in his life.

We get a talk between Team 3D, and Brother Ray is wearing an LAX shirt for some reason. Of course, like every other person on this show, all they want to talk about is the ECW guys. Devon supports the ECW guys. Ray does not, because he thinks he's better than them. So he's got a massive head to go with his massive body, nice. Christy interviewing RVD, who talks about - what else? - the ECW guys. He knows what DIxie Carter's going to say but he's not letting on. How very helpful of you, Rob. A long recap of what the ECW guys have been doing recently before tonight's main event promo. (I hate it when the main event is a promo.)

We get to hear Dixie Carter's entrance music for what I think is the first time. It's a nice piece of female-fronted alt rock that is better than most Knockouts themes - go figure. She gives generic "we care about the fans" spiel. What the fans want, apparently, is old guys hardcore wrestling! Rhino's wearing a sleeveless jacket which make his arms look short. They keep putting events from the 90s over. "It's about honour" -Dixie, shilling for another company. "It's about you guys, not doing it for fat paycheques" -Dixie, admitting she doesn't pay any of them enough. Foley passes the mic to Dreamer, who spends a bit of time putting over ECW and burying WWECW (which, incidentally, was cancelled earlier this year).

The upshot of this: the ECW guys want a night to do their own thing and have a proper send-off to the hardcore. Dixie... accepts? What? Presumably this will be the pay-per-view. You've not really mentioned Hard Justice outside of graphics and such, so the ECW guys are kicking TNA off their own PPV. I talk a lot about old guys supplanting genuine talent in this company, but this has got to be a new low. Fans eat that shit up, though. Which is yet another reason recently to lose faith in people from Florida. See you next Impact, you know, if it hasn't been turned into an XPW tribute show or something.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Hardcore Justice build :heston

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Impact July 29, 2010 - There's No Justice In This World

We cold open on the ECW guys. Even more cold open than usual. Mike Tenay's already talking about them, so I start to get concerned that there's a pre-show I missed. Nope, this is just how it starts. I like to imagine that Tommy Dreamer and co. have been standing out there for a week solid and the Impact Zone are eating that shit up. HardCORE Justice as a name is official, apparently. "I have been here... for about eight weeks" -Dreamer, who seems to be confirming my assumptions at first. But first things first: They can't say ECW anymore (WWE owns the alphabet, apparently). So the ECW guys will be given the name of EV2.0. E-V-DUB! or something.

Next order of business: Devon, and why he isn't with the Michaels to his Jannetty. (No, I don't mean Batista.) Devon claims Ray's letting their actual feud get in the way of the... better cause of... tarnishing ECW's legacy. "Bubba", as Devon calls him, doesn't want to know until Dreamer mentions a KISS concert. Which makes me think "What if they brought the KISS Demon in?", but then I realise he actually was in TNA, so... The intervention continues with Mick Foley and Taz pretty much saying the same thing. Finally, they sway Ray by confirming that yes, he can light someone on fire. And I can confirm that yes, allowing someone to burn another human will convince them to do what you want. Works every time. Fans chant "E V TWO POINT OH", demonstrating that they don't get it.

Before they can throw out any more months of storyline, out comes Hogan! He says ECW was to the 90s what he was to the 80s, and he couldn't make it to ECW because he was ruling his world with a black beard. Which, right there, is two textbook examples of pretending to put someone else over and putting yourself over instead. He and Bischoff apparently have another surprise. No idea how it can top "you're being given free rein over your own PPV", but there we go.

And as if this opening promo hasn't been interrupted enough, Abyss is here. He's pissed, because "they" didn't plan for this. Must hurt that you're building to your own stable story and you get gazumped by a bunch of old guys. "They" blame Dixie Carter, which is the first sensible stance they've taken. "I could care less" -Hogan. Sigh. Abyss' plan is to take out Tommy Dreamer, so there won't be any ECW revivals anymore. Suddenly, I'm on his side. Hogan doesn't want Dreamer to get injured already, but Dreamer like an idiot steps up. They're gonna fight tonight. Faces are dumbasses.

We're back to the glory days of the Beautiful People opening up the second quarter. Lacey's still trying to patch things up between Velvet and Madison, as if she doesn't want to see her teammate involved in a Knockouts Championship feud or something. Enter Madison, who gets rightly called out on replacing her teammates. Eventually... they agree a truce? What? Storylines being tossed aside left and right here. I half expect them to forget about "they" soon.

Match 1: Angelina Love vs. Sarita - Knockouts Championship Number 1 Contenders' Match

Sarita's gear is a lot blacker and skimpier now that she's a heel. I'm not complaining. "That was tough for Angelina to swallow" -Taz, probably setting up for a double entendre that never goes off. They really want us to follow Dixie Carter on Twitter and Facebook. The match between Dreamer and Abyss will apparently be a Weapons Hardcore No Disqualification match, as opposed to a regular wrestling grappling singles one-on-one match bout. Sarita has a good standing chinlock that seems effective, but drops it to argue with the referee. She then almost drops Angelina on her head. Botox Injection wins it for Angelina, and so we're getting the same match as Victory Road. But when are we getting it? Not during the ECW show surely, unless Angelina has a past we don't know about.

We go to the back with Eric Young and Orlando Jordan. What an odd pair. And EY's acting like an idiot again. Did another storyline development happen off Impact? Turns out it did. On a match on Xplosion, he got hit in his head and suddenly lost all his edge. Way to pull off character changes that can only be explained by watching a show that doesn't even air in your primary market. Their discussion is kind of overshadowed by scattered chants (including one guy trying to start a "yes" chant), but apparently they've got a tag match soon and EY has backup. We do get a recap of the Xplosion developments, that's cool, including EY thinking he's won a match he lost to the Bucks. I wish that could have made TV rather than Old Guys Again.

Match 2: Ink Inc. (Shannon Moore/Jesse Neal) vs. Eric Young/Orlando Jordan

Jordan not lowered to the ring anymore. He wants SoCal Val to taste his bubblegum, and I'm instantly reminded why I'd be happy never to see this guy again in my life. Young's backup is... a mannequin in a feather boa. Yeah. "I heard about him, he's kinda stiff" -Taz on the mannequin. I genuinely smiled. Jesse Neal should not be struggling this badly to beat Orlando Jordan. The mannequin is tagged in, and as soon as it sees action it loses an arm and a leg. These injury-prone new boys, I swear. Finish is a fireman's carry into a Mooregasm, which looks pretty nice. Would like to see it on a flyer/power team featuring two guys who actually fit the profile of flyer and power guy.

"Do you smell that?" asks Ric Flair, who's got Fortune in the ring with him. Perhaps he's drawing our attention to the old man stench that permeates the Impact Zone nowadays. We're getting another Lethal/Flair match next week apparently, and it's a street fight. I'm more disappointed by 3 street fights in 4 weeks than I am about Flair getting in the ring again. "My smallest black brother" -Flair on Lethal. Also, Beer Money are in Fortune and They Are Going To Win The Upcoming Match. Kaz says they're the best in the TNA Galaxy. Shot at WWE, check.

AJ Styles' turn, and now he's the Global Champion, he's changing its name! It's now the Television Title, which means it's going to be defended on television, and also possibly in India. Ring Ka King foreshadowing? First defense is going to be Rob Terry in a rematch. He then defers to Ric for his next old man rant about sex with women a third his age. Angle is out, and he looks every bit as surprised as I am that the AJ match in his career-threatening rankings climb is this early. He's fallen pretty hard to be in 6th.

Match 3: Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley/Chris Sabin) [0] vs. Beer Money, Inc. (James Storm/Robert Roode) [2] - World Tag Team Championship Best of 5 Series Steel Cage Match

Beer Money picked the stip, and they're fools. Why would you give two X Division guys an easy place to jump off? This is instantly demonstrated as MCMG come out from the crowd, climb over the cage, and crossbody Beer Money while their backs were turned until the last second. Crowd is understandably ultra-hyped for this, knowing how good the last two matches were. Roode is quickly busted open, and pretty badly at that. A rope hung neckbreaker by Storm looks pretty gnarly. Roode at one point catches Shelley while he's jumping and trying to go for the hot tag. Tenay and Taz respond by plugging DVDs featuring the best of Beer Money and MCMG.

Another reason why Beer Money were stupid to choose this stip: no opportunity to bring the beer bottle in. "They're up 2-0 in my opinion" -Taz on Beer Money. I'd love to know who has the opinion that the Guns are up 2-0. Split-leg double dropkick by Sabin. That's something that seems so simple but you rarely ever see. "Hail Sabin" chants. "TNA" chants for a double foot stomp. I'd personally go for "Is he okay? clap clap clapclapclap". Roode nearly trips over the referee and I'm pretty sure that delays the count enough for Sabin to kick out of Storm's pin. That's a new spot I've never seen, regardless of whether it was intentional.

"This is awesome" chants. Yep. Sabin joins the ranks of "could have escaped the cage and won but instead did a stupid high flying move off the top". Kids in the front row are marking out. "Shades of Jimmy Snuka" -Taz. So does that mean Sabin will end up beating his girlfriend to death eventually? The neckbreaker/crossbody finisher wins it, and MCMG are still in this. Awesome match. I don't know how anything can follow this.

Mr. Anderson about to make an entrance, but it's not Mr. Anderson. It's Matt Morgan cosplaying as Mr. Anderson. With none of the charisma or mic skills. My favourite. He can't even call down the microphone properly. Mattster Anderson is apparently 8 feet tall and weighs 484.25 pounds (that's Matt Morgan's legit weight, if you count the weight of his guilty conscience). I like Anderson a lot better in comparison to this guy. After a bit of argument, Morgan sticks his chin out and offers a free shot but Anderson goes for the nuts instead. Heels being idiots count for this show: 2.

Morgan does end up attacking Anderson, and who should make the save but... Jeff Hardy? I'd have expected the Pope, given his problems with Morgan. Hardy displaces Pope from his own feud for the second time this year. A pair of security guys show up to break it up, but they don't stop Morgan. What is this biased bullshit? Have we got another stable going on? Some road agents manage to stop the rogue security (surprisingly they don't join in, given their record in mass brawls recently).

Hardy and Anderson get to talk to Christy, who seems to have darkened her hair. It's a great look for her. Anderson apparently knows the backstory of those two security guys - they're failed wrestlers with a chip on their shoulder, called Gunner and Murphy. This is... a surprisingly big debut, given what at least one of those guys will do in TNA later. Hardy/Anderson vs. Morgan/Gunner/Murphy is apparently set.

Match 4: Kazarian vs. Rob Terry

AJ gets sent to the back, and appears to be spitting air in Rob Terry's face. That's the only explanation. Whatever it does, it doesn't give Kaz the advantage as Terry kills him with the Freak Buster in a matter of seconds. I bet Ric Flair is regretting inviting this guy to join Fortune off the back of a flukey win over this guy. If we're comparing members of Fortune to the Four Horsemen, Kaz is looking like Steve "Mongo" McMichael right now. Up next: the smiling fucking mug brings a special fucking announcement. But first: a match!

Match 5: Jeff Hardy/Mr. Anderson vs. Matt Morgan/Gunner/Murphy - Handicap Match

Is this meant to be considered even as a handicap match? Two failed wrestlers = one successful wrestler? "Itchweed is my Hero" sign in the crowd - this fan's clearly up on that sick Jeff Hardy Lore. Murphy looks like Sid Vicious without the blond hair or the menace. Gunner's getting decent offense. Kind of shows that he was meant to be the successful one of the two. He looks more generic in these days, like a "young lion" sort of deal. Murphy tries to knock Anderson over from the ring apron but doesn't even touch him. Anderson sells it anyway. Morgan loses hope with these newbies and throws them to the wolves for a Mic Check and Swanton. I don't even understand why this match happened. You're debuting new guys, why show they can't win 3-on-2?

Christy wants Hogan to let her in on the big announcement that Bischoff is planning for up next, but he's not saying. The teenage girl demographic is fairly happy to see Bischoff - or maybe they're cheering for Miss Tessmacher? I like their taste, in that case. The announcement is that on the show after HardCORE Justice, we're getting the card that would have happened on the PPV if the ECW guys hadn't shoved TNA off its own show. He's putting over Dixie Carter and the decision to have HardCORE Justice, but he just sounds really facetious. Which is fitting.

Knock knock. Who's there? Interrupting Abyss. Interrupti-- "THEY!!!" Apparently they decided the main event will be, as previously described, Janice at the top of a ladder. "I'm gonna rip the flesh off of RVD's ass" -and then presumably eat it. Bischoff keeps getting threatened by that big black nail board until RVD comes in for the save. "Angelina Loves me" sign in the crowd - dream on. We get a fairly no-DQ extended beatdown until Tommy Dreamer comes out and we're reminded that there has to be a hardcore match in these remaining 9-or-so minutes.

Match 6: Abyss vs. Tommy Dreamer - Hardcore Weapons Match

Garbage can lid shots to the head already. And guardrails to the nuts. Jesus, how horrifying. Crowd is LOUD for Dreamer. Garbage can lids and trays are used, and yes, on the head. Our friend the ticker shows up, and is probably horrified by the disregard for everyone's safety, but soldiers on and gives info on going to the website to find out who is going to be at HardCORE Justice. You go, little ticker. You go. That face-first into the steel chair spot happens again, and it's no less uncomfortable. Perhaps the most ECW thing we've seen yet is when Dreamer has Abyss in a Tree of Woe and delivers a kendo stick to the Monster's groin. Fans are a little confused, and are split between chanting "E-C-W" and "E-V-twopointoh".

We're reminded that Dreamer has a torn MCL and so should not be doing this. Was that a kayfabe injury or legit? Abyss does the "you" point despite being anti-Hogan now. Nice continuity, I guess? Finish is a chokeslam on to the barbed wire board. Raven comes out, and looks like he's about to save Dreamer from Abyss... but instead gives him an Evenflow DDT on to a steel chair. Guess being an ECW show isn't going to be enough for HardCORE Justice... We've got to have actual feuds. I wish the entire ECW reunion show could just be a bit of non-canon fun, rather than... this. See you on the go-home.

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Impact August 5, 2010 - Don't Quoth Me

The old guys from ECW are dominating the opening video package. Well, it's a step up from there being no video package at all last week. Abyss is not happy with this existing. Is this building to him being at the event? I doubt it. The package says "fuck it" and openly turns into an ad for HardCORE Justice halfway through. "The legacy can never be destroyed" -the package. "Challenge accepted" -Dixie Carter, probably. "There's No Place Like Home" is the episode title, proving that that's TNA's stock title for pandering to nostalgia from 10+ years ago. They've still got that six-sided lighting rig.

Dreamer out first, and he's got that signature "ECW limp" that all old hardcore guys seem to have. It's most pronounced in Mick Foley, but a lot of guys have it. Go watch a show with any of them, see if you can spot it. For example: Raven also has it. Dreamer starts an "Uncle Scotty" chant on Raven. Through his terribly-applied makeup, Raven explains that he's still pissed at Tommy for marrying Beulah. Never mind that Dreamer was always the one she loved. "I'm gonna cripple you at Hard Justice" -Raven, wishing he wasn't taking up a TNA PPV with old stuff. The virgin with rage gets attacked for his trouble. Abyss attacks Dreamer, RVD attacks Abyss, and they both go off on their own, just forgetting that they've gotten themselves involved with the ECW guys too.

As if that weren't enough of a clusterfuck, Foley comes out with a barbed wire bat and announces he's going to be the guest referee for the upcoming Dreamer/Raven match. Thank goodness for that. I was afraid that he'd be challenging RVD for the World Title. We don't need to see him in that position again. They're talking about "lasts" a lot. The Last Stand is the subtitle for the PPV. "The final showdown" between Dreamer and Raven. That's very generous, considering Ric Flair is wrestling tonight. Ric Flair, the man who had his "last match" 2+ years ago. Guess "won't stay down" is a running them in this company's history... Added wrinkle to the Flair match, by the way - if any of Fortune interferes, Flair is suspended for 90 days.

Match 1: The Beautiful People (Velvet Sky/Lacey Von Erich) (c) vs. Hamada/Taylor Wilde - for the Knockouts Tag Team Championship

Tenay and Taz look surprised that this match is even happening. Lacey is out of position for the entrance, as she forgot that Madison isn't with them anymore. It's good to see Hamada back. And she's trying to be Sarita. That's brilliant. "Welcome back" chants for someone whose departure wasn't announced and her return wasn't even hyped. Why aren't you pushing Hamada, TNA? Speaking of absolutely terrible decisions: Lacey Von Erich wrestling. Everything she does is terrible, there's no flow to it at all. I can't tell half the time what was a botch and what was an intentionally missed move. Taylor and Hamada tag teaming looks kind of awkward at first, but they grow into it.

Oop, here comes the storyline in the form of Madison Rayne at the entrance ramp and biker lady in biker lady position. Slick Johnson gets ref bumped by a Velvet Sky slap. (I could make a joke here like I do whenever this referee is with the Knockouts. Something like "Velvet can have a Slick Johnson finished just with a touch of the head". But I'm not going to.) Anyway, this lets biker lady hand Lacey a chair, but she gets it kicked right in her face by Taylor and pinned for 3. New Knockouts Tag Team Champions - Hamada/Taylor Wilde. That went four minutes, which is an achievement for Russo's Knockouts. I want to see more Hamada now.

Match 2: AJ Styles (c) vs. Rob Terry - for the Television Championship

"Here's what the Television Champion looks like" -AJ, before they pan down to a belt that still says "Legends Championship". I don't think they ever changed it in the title's history. Kazaren gets sent to the back, which probably benefits AJ more than it hurts him given Kaz's recent dismal record in dealing with Rob Terry. Terry dominates early, hitting a buckle chokebomb. "WCW wasn't the only company that had a TV title" -Taz, which makes me wonder why they can say WCW but not ECW. "Spaldeen Basketball" -also Taz. Earl Hebner proves himself superior to all other referees by actually dodging an oncoming wrestler. Pele and then Springboard 450, and AJ retains. That's a rather faceish moveset you got there, AJ. Got something you want to tell us?

Video package for Kurt Angle explaining about that fight up the Top 10 rankings. He's seen in the gym, where he doesn't even appear to be lifting anything. (There's only a couple of frames where the weights are actually in shot, which is surely an oversight on TNA's part.) "I can't lose, I won't lose" -Angle to TNA's booking committee the camera. Jay Lethal, rambling about Flair, is next. He's wearing a wife-beater. Or should that item of clothing be called a "sexual assaulter" in these circumstances? I don't know. That wasn't ever resolved.

Video packages continue. Apparently next Impact will be called "The Whole F'n Show", which does not bode well for Abyss' attempts to win the title. We're reminded, though, that the main event will involve Janice on a ladder, and it will be the most extreme hardcore main event TNA has ever seen, which surely says a lot when it comes just after a PPV called "HardCORE Justice". Or maybe they're pre-emptively burying the ECW guys? A Velvet/Madison brawl ends with Velvet accidentally killing Lacey against a storage container, which leads her to let out 5 bleeps in a row. This has given them time to prepare the Ultimate X, thankfully...

Match 3: Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley/Chris Sabin) [1] vs. Beer Money, Inc. (James Storm/Robert Roode) [2] - World Tag Team Championship Best of 5 Series Ultimate X Match

"Storm incorporates a beer bottle, steals the win" -Taz. I have to go back and re-listen to that, because it sounds like he said the beer bottle was made of steel. That would be a deadly as hell weapon. Roode promos about how he's going to beat them at their own X Division game. I find that unlikely. Why didn't you end this in the stipulation you chose? Sabin gives an I Am Going To Win The Upcoming Match of his own. "Best in the world" chants before the match even begins.

It feels like they've changed the lighting when they come back from commercial. Crowd is super hyped. Shelley puts on a crossface and leg bar on both of Beer Money at the same time. He's so talented. There's so many cool double team spots here. Catapult/DDT, dropkick/facebuster... Sabin gets ridiculous air on a dropkick. Storm performs that rarest of rarities: a Backstabber where the opponent doesn't bounce off. Roode's bust open again, and it doesn't help that a spike DDT has him vertically on his head for what feels like way too long. Shelley jumps way too far for a double foot stomp. Terrifying.

Storm does something pretty clever: puts Roode's feet on his shoulders and tries to walk him to the X. "This is awesome" chants. Sliced Bread on the ring apron and I audibly cringe. Roode climbs the X with his feet, holding on to the scaffolding instead - innovative! Sabin still kicks him down so he gets hit in the nuts and falls straight down. And that's the finish, and the series is tied 2-2! I'm thankful for this, overall. It means we'll get a really good match on the special Impact. We get a short clip of Bischoff and Tessmacher walking, and then an ad for the Sacrifice DVD. Why would you watch that?

Hogan, the smiling fucking mug, and their glamorous assistant come out. Tenay admits they don't have a budget for the announce team to have glamorous assistants. Understandable - 25% of the budget is taken up by Hogan's mustache bleach alone. Bisch explains that we're getting a Stairway to Janice match, but Bisch will be the referee - not suspicious at all. We get the other matches we expected, plus a Jeff Hardy open challenge. This is probably going to be someone really disappointing, but they'll pretend there's a chance that a New Big Star or something will come out to challenge Hardy. Who's your money on? I'll say... Homicide or something.

Out comes Kevin Nash, who demands to speak to the manager. Hogan tells Nash to step back and stop politicking - a colossal irony which Nash doesn't hesitate to point out. "Politics and Kliqs" -Bischoff. Nash and Hogan have an old man fight, and Nash wins until Jeff jarrett shows up to break it up. And then - get this - Sting, in nWo Wolfpac colours, shows up outta nowhere to commit baseball bat- and chair-based murder. They really are recycling the Atittude Era. I'm expecting a Fingerpoke of Doom to come soon. After the break, Christy wants to talk to Sting and Nash, probably because she doesn't understand the bizarre sense of deja vu she's getting. They just walk off. The "you suck" chants blend into the next match...

Match 4: D'Angelo Dinero vs. Orlando Jordan

Jordan's entrance again doesn't involve him being lowered down on silks, sadly, and mostly isn't seen due to a recap of the Hogan/Nash/jarrett/Sting clusterfuck. We still are "treated" to him offering SoCal Val the old "sticky areola", as commentary calls it. Maybe I was too harsh on the "Pope is pimpin'" quote at the start of Pope's entrance. It's super over. Pope's money rain rating: great! They mention the rankings, and I wonder how the main event not being on PPV will affect that. Pretty sure even TNA don't know. Another white kid gets Pope's sunglasses, and looks delightfully goofy while doing it.

vXrs06O.png

And if you thought this was going to be the only screenshot for this match, this is Pope's reaction to Jordan sucking his own finger during the opening staredown:

WvQtfUw.png

So anyway... the match. This is mostly really basic grappling, and is at its most watchable when Jordan isn't in control, much like most of his matches. Jordan's brief period of control is ended when he's distracted by Eric Young going for the Pope's fake money. He's swimming in it, stuffing it in his mouth and shorts... and that lets Pope get the DDE and win in a very nothing match. Morgan lays out Pope, Anderson goes for the save (oh yeah, we're getting a three-way). Pope and Anderson haven't fought at all but Gunner and Murphy are out trying to shepherd Anderson away. Anderson is reduced from World Championship contention to feuding with security guys in the space of one PPV cycle.

Christy interview time, with Ric Flair. He isn't interested in talking about the new stip where if Fortune intervene he's suspended, and instead talks himself up, shows off his suit, and hits on Christy. He calls Lethal "my smallest black brother" again. Another hype package for HardCORE Justice. "The fans still chant it". What do the fans still chant? What three letters do the fans still chant? Oh yeah, you can't say it on TV anymore.

Match 5: Jay Lethal vs. Ric Flair - Street Fight

I still like the touch of street fights being in regular clothes. Flair gets the advantage early, which probably should not be the case for an old guy like him. Lethal hides under the ring. Just like him. I do not want to see Flair's unsightly old guy chest, thank you very much, Lethal, so stop knife-edge chopping it. Kendo sticks to the head, yikes. He's out of his mind enough, don't give him a concussion. Doug Williams shows up, for... some reason? Lethal tears away Flair's trousers, which somehow makes this match even uglier and more unwatchable. Flair is bleeding heavily at this point.

Trash can shot to the head. Yeesh. And this senior citizen is taking a superplex for some ungodly reason. Williams interferes, by dragging Lethal out before he can get the pin. He's not a member of Fortune, is he? Maybe he should be. He could replace Kaz, and then by next week Fortune could have all the midcard belts at the same time. Lethal tries to pull down Flair's underwear, and I thank every god of every culture ever for the pixellation that is used. Finally Williams takes out Lethal with an X Division title belt shot, and that lets Flair get a pinfall victory in the year 2010.

Abyss with Janice and Raven with a kendo stick, approaching the ring. Christy out one more time to interview RVD, who intimates that I Am Going To Win All Three Of The Upcoming Matches. By taking it one match at a time. Because he's a very "laid-back" guy. Christy is very much charmed by this 40-something stoner. No accounting for taste. Enter Jerry Lynn, who reveals that he's facing RVD on Sunday! That's... about as good a main event as we could expect. I'd quite like to see it.

Match 6: RVD/Tommy Dreamer vs. Abyss/Raven

Dreamer inexplicably in an RVD shirt. Maybe he should have been in an RDV shirt. Match starts on the walkway. Just like ECW! RVD comes legitimately out of nowhere with a flying shoulderblock. We're getting the start of TNA Reaction next week, apparently. Oh yay, more extra programming to shove storyline progression on to. My favourite. Our friend the ticker tells us the same thing as last week. This is a very meh and short match between two fairly limited old hardcore guys, Abyss, and RVD. RVD gets the win after a ridiculously far frog splash.

Abyss beats on his opponents after the match, which prompts Stevie Richards to come out and get beaten up too. Commentary even references his history with Abyss as Dr. Stevie. Continuity! Rhino also fails to turn it around. Team 3D look like they have it until Raven chairshots them both. Lights out, and we get the Sandman showing up and tossing Singapore cane shots around like they're candy. Then the last of the minutes of TV are taken up by a hype package for HardCORE Justice, featuring ECW guys talking over still images that were probably the only ones they could license. Oh yeah! That's the most hardcore thing ever! (By the way, the Guns picked the stipulation for the final match in their series, and it's 2/3 Falls. We didn't really see that as important.) Well, see you there...

Next up: HardCORE Justice

Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn
Tommy Dreamer vs. Raven (Special Guest Referee: Mick Foley)
???​

Last edited:

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Hardcore Justice :bob:

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
HardCORE Justice 2010 - The Last Stand For My Sanity

It's here! The delightful trainwreck that I'm sure you were all waiting for. That announced card is looking pretty sparse in all honesty, so I hope they're going to pull something out. The intro video is similar to the video that ended last Impact. Cheaply licensed images with a grainy filter, with voiceovers telling us about how the ECW guys succeeded in [REDACTED PROMOTION]. I like the touch of them showing the very disused-looking outside of the ECW Arena. There's the very strange sound of yelling over the logo. It's clearly not the Impact Zone crowd, who are pretty hyped, but are probably being muted so we can't hear them shouting "E-C-DUB" loudly.

They've got a completely different ring announcer (Stephen DeAngelis, who announced for about a few weeks in 2000 and then in WWECW), who introduces Taz. He tries to talk vaguely about ECW, and the people who doubted them. "Alls we did was revolutionise this friggin' business", before starting to commentate for a company that isn't revolutionising anything. "We were the Little Engine that Could, and we friggin' did" - apart from in 2001, when you died. That was a fairly short opening statement, thankfully. They even got the former ECW referee John Finegan in.

Match 1: FBI (Tracy Smothers/Tony Luke/Guido Maritato) vs. Kid Kash/Simon Diamond/Johnny Swinger

Apparently, the Impact Zone is now the "Extreme Zone", and we can see that, with a lot of their sets being replaced by brick print, and decked by barbed wire. Tracy Smothers looks geriatric. The ring is being bathed in blue light, seemingly because they couldn't afford a blue mat like ECW had. Simon Diamond's signature ECW limp looks more like a waddle. The apparent storyline reason for this beef is that Diamond/Swinger are pissed that the FBI got a title shot against the Unholy Alliance back in 2000, instead of them. Swinger's like a bow-legged cowboy, and nothing like the genuinely entertaining work he's doing in 2020.

DeAngelis informs us that Big Sal E. Graziano is making his summer residence in the Jersey Shore, in Snooki's pool house. Do these Jersey Shore references count as foreshadowing? I hope not. Tony's weight is billed in liquid ounces - I like the touch. "Please welcome back" - I like that they acknowledge that Kash was previously in TNA. He's a former X Division champ at that! We start out strong with Guido and Kash, the two guys who can actually wrestle. Tony wants Swinger for some reason. Then Tenay says something that I'll surely never forget. So I'll transcribe it for you.

"There's certain names, there's certain initials, that legally we aren't allowed to use. I'm sure most of you at home, you're so familiar with the ECW talent, the roster, that... hell, you can fill in the blanks." To which Taz responds that Tenay did indeed just use those initials. You can't make this shit up.

Simon Diamond (TNA official Pat Kenney) is very much overweight. So much so, that the commentators reference this every other sentence. "Looks like three diamonds" -Taz. He looks like an upturned tortoise at one point. Crowd is right behind the FBI, despite them being the heels. Diamond promos mid-match, which is met by "Shut the fuck up" chants. Brilliant. Absolutely superb. I'm glad I watched this. His mic fucks out, he accuses Kash of being the weak link, and proposes a dance-off. Said dance-off is won by Sal E. Graziano, and is ultimately met with a chorus of boos. Kash goes for a tope con hilo by springboarding off the back of the referee to all five men. Okay, that's genuinely hype.

Tenay talks about his big satellite dish that he used to watch ECW on, which is surely better than talking about whatever Simon Diamond is doing. Slam into the turnbuckles gets mild "holy shit" chants. Guido looks so clean this whole match, especially when he's working with Kash. The Russian legsweep in particular is a work of art. This soon devolves into finishers. Ain't no spam like 6-man finisher spam! Kash hits a double underhook piledriver, but sells his crotch. Did Tony Luke's head land there? Ouch. Guido wins it with an Unprettier.

Now, it's time for Tenay and Taz Talking, that greatest of customs. We're reliably informed that there will be no RVD/Jerry Lynn match tonight, as Lynn's injured. Great, that's 50% of your pre-announced card out of the window. What's next? Tommy Dreamer injured? Would not surprise me. RVD's gonna face Sabu instead, according to Tenay. We get a brief "where are they now", featuring: Tod Gordon, founder of ECW; Pitbull #1 Gary Wolfe, who shows up in his car; and Blue Meanie, who seems way too excited to not be here. They strangely don't show each of the interview clips in full, just splicing between them.

Meanie says "let's get back to some hardcore action", but we instead have a talking segment. This time, it's featuring AJ Styles, who definitely was not in ECW, talking about his memories of ECW, in the vaguest possible terms so as not to mention any actual names of anyone. It's kind of sad. He does reference Dreamer/Sandman, which was nice. Angelina Love clearly has no idea what ECW even is and is reading from a script.

Al Snow is arguing with Head from the wrong camera angle, telling her not to say ECW. The angle is fixed again when Stevie Richards comes into shot, which leads Al to make some incoherent shots at WWE, including a guy with a sledgehammer and Stevie on a secondary show. Enter Nova, who greets his comrade in arms, followed by a massively overweight individual pretending to be the Blue Meanie. Snow turns to Head and remarks they couldn't even get the real guy, which only serves to draw attention to the fact that they couldn't get the real Blue Meanie.

THEY COULDN'T GET THE REAL BLUE MEANIE.

That has to be a new low. Nova talks about how they replaced Darrin on Bewitched, which causes even Al Snow, the guy who talks to a mannequin head, to get tired of this shit and walk out. Also: fake Blue Meanie is wearing a "BW2.0" shirt. Some nobody shows up and asks whether he's gotten a spot on the show. Wait a minute...

Jbn4pTM.png

That's Samuel Shaw! As in, the future stalker of Christy Hemme in canonical TNA, and the even-more-future Dexter Lumis of WWE. Good to see they're working towards the future in at least one aspect. He and not-Meanie end up picking each other's noses for no reason. Our next contest features another ex-ECW referee in Mike Keener.

Match 2: CW Anderson vs. Too Cold Scorpio

CW? Hm, guess it's the E that's copyrighted. Commentary keep talking in vague terms about the "Original Era", without specifying of what it was the original era. Scorpio actually shows the ability to dance, and Tenay asks why he wasn't in the dance-off. Maybe since they didn't want to waste one of the guys they could get who could ever actually wrestle. Also, he's "Too Cold". Not "2 Cold". Trademark weirdness makes a lot of sense. They're not stupid. CW Anderson is announced as "The Enforcer" - does that could as a shot at... WCW? Eh, it was already CW's gimmick when he was vaguely relevant, so I suppose not.

At this point in his career, Scorpio looks like Abdullah the Butcher if he dropped 300 pounds. Action is actually solid in the first few minutes. They openly talk about Scorpio's work in Japan, which makes me wonder if they were confident that the likes of AJPW and NOAH wouldn't sue. (Also, RIP NOAH.) A kesagiri chop (I looked that up) by Anderson draws an "Oh my god" chant, but that's mainly because of the rather spectacular way Scorpio sells it. It looks like he's been turned inside out. And he makes this face.

jo2k4FG.png

During this match we see a secondary hard cam facing the entrance ramp. Given the current circumstances, it's so weird to see that detail combined with an actual crowd. Scorpio's somersault leg drop only gets two. That looks like it should be a finisher. "He basically sat on my face with all his weight" -Taz on taking said leg drop. CW hits a spinebuster, and Taz is the only one that thinks to remark that not only did he rip that off of Arn, but Robert Roode also ripped that off of Arn. "Not really defending himself that much, except for that massive kick to the face" -Taz, soon after. Drop Da Bomb finishes it, presumably because Scorpio can't do a 450 splash anymore. Decent match!

Another memories segment, featuring Madison Rayne looking like she's reciting a Wikipedia article with "ECW" find-and-replaced by "the Philadelphia promotion". Matt Morgan remembers actually having seen an ECW show at a bar he was bouncing at, whilst Mr. Anderson (not CW) has a look of disbelief when he stumbles out "that company, you know, that Philadelphia-based wrestling promotion". I want to see that change all over wrestling. Have the fans in the Impact Zone stop chanting "TNA" and start chanting "THAT ORLANDO-BASED WRESTLING PROMOTION!" Actually, no - that would imply the company's built around Orlando Jordan. That would be both boring and frightening.

RVD - legitimately in his underwear - is talking to Bill Alfonso about facing Jerry Lynn. Before he acknowledges the match was changed, I figured he was probably too high to notice the announcement. Better that, I guess, than being too high to notice that the match involves you. "There's a lot of storylines that are not complete" -RVD on TNA ECW. Alfonso does far too much looking directly at the camera. Also, he looks about 80.

Match 3: Stevie Richards vs. PJ Polaco

Polaco comes out in a shirt bearing his better-known name "Justin Credible", apparently forgetting that they're trying not to get sued by WWE. He does take it off though. Maybe he realised. The fake-Meanie is apparently called Blue Tilly. Also, it's offputting to me that Stevie's accompanied by his bWo squad, but the majority of his ring gear is white. "Maybe the Blue Tilly ate the Blue Meanie" -Taz. Looks like it. As if the game weren't given away enough, fans immediately start chanting "Justin Credible" when Polaco's announced.

At the start of the match, Tenay and Taz try to just talk about the event rather than draw attention to the fact that PJ has a completely different name and one of Stevie's friends has been replaced. Polaco finds a brand new way to be crotched - getting tossed by Stevie and sliding face-down so far he has an unfortunate meeting with the square ring post. "We want blood" chants for 2 of the more technical guys we'll see here tonight. Polaco hits a slingshot splash that looks like it only hurts him. He then does a move that I can't tell if it's a DDT or a facebuster. "Holy shit" chants for Polaco landing on his face on the floor. An awkward moment occurs when Nova and not-Meanie approach him. Taz starts the exchange here.

"BW2.0... Ugh."
"I guess that's a variation of EV2.0"
"Yup."
"Yup."

We get "We want Meanie" chants, which is perhaps what a crowd would say if they'd turned on this event. Inexplicably, they haven't. Spinning Tombstone - that move looks knee-shredding, and less effective than a normal Tombstone - might only get two? Maybe? It's not clear whether Stevie kicked out or the referee was distracted by Nova. "That's not the coolest, that's not just the best, that's Justin--" shouts Polaco, who is (thankfully) cut off by Stevie's Lawyer Kick for the pin. The power of not using other companies' trademarks, right there.

Polaco attacks Stevie after the match with the Singapore cane he brought to the match (which, in literary criticism, is what is called a "Chekhov's Cane"). Suddenly, the lights go out, which has been an indicator of Sandman showing up three days ago, but the commentators do the "Could it be? It is!" thing anyway. Even when the lights go up and Sandman's right there. The guy looks absolutely horrible. He should talk to Nova, get that Simon System going on so he can get in shape. Sandman is the "Singapore cane originator", according to Tenay. He should apologise to the nation of Singapore.

More "where are they now", and we see Francine. There's no mention of the fact that she's one of TNA's pioneers, as she competed for TNA's first ever women's championship (the Miss TNA crown, which spent most of its lifetime held by a man). Anyway, she can't be here as she's a full time mommy. She'd probably be one of those Karens who spreads anti-mask hoaxes these days... you know, if she hadn't had constant health issues. Then they show a tribute to those ECW stars who have passed away. Rather than having a montage of images of these people, though, it's a generic message on black. Chris Candido was at least in TNA for a while. You couldn't have dug some old footage out and made some effort?

Match 4: Brother Runt vs. Al Snow vs. Rhino - Elimination Three-Way Dance

All of these three men have been associated with TNA recently, but Rhino is the only one with a unique entrance graphic. The former Spike Dudley commits wanton abuse against the arena furniture with a steel chair during his entrance. Also, he appears to be imitating a much skinnier and scrawnier Bubba Ray, right down to the haircut. Snow's a lot rougher with Head than I'd have expected. Taz drops the second ECW-bomb on this show, when trying to talk about the House of Hardcore wrestling school. Runt tries a corner crossbody on two much larger men, which goes exactly as you'd expect. That is, if what you'd expect is them catching him and tossing him to the entrance ramp like he's nothing.

If this is elimination rules, why is Runt not being counted out? Snow uses headbutts that clearly don't land. We get a split screen of the TNA roster backstage, who do not look pleased. Probably because they've been pushed off PPV for this. Runt goes for a tornado DDT or something, which predictably ends poorly as Rhino can just pick him up. "This is wrestling" chants. It's refreshing that the Impact Zone crowd knows where they are for once. Ref bump because ref bump. Runt tries to do the Eddie Guerrero spot with Al Snow and a steel chair... but Al Snow does the spot too, dropping the chair. I genuinely smiled at this. Great moment.

Three guys lying down to ECW chants, because the greatest essence of ECW is a steel chair not being used. Runt hits the Acid Drop on Snow (whilst Tenay tries his hardest to avoid calling it that), but immediately gets gored by Rhino. Another decent match!

Mick Foley's in the back, talking about the "storied rivalry" of Dreamer vs. Raven. Also he's reading Hulk Hogan's new book. I find it amusing that even at this show, Hogan found a way to show up. Raven has mind control powers, apparently. I believe this may be foreshadowing. More memories, with Magnus (oh hey, remember him?) appreciating the lack of budget that ECW had. He would later go on to appreciate the lack of budget that TNA had. Sabin remembers the Funk/Sabu barbed wire match - seemingly the only one that remembers it fondly - and reveals that he's a mark for RVD.

Out come Axl Rotten, and "of course" Kahoneys. It's only when I hear it said that I realise it's supposed to be pronounced as "cojones". Clever. Commentary talks about them being hardcore freaks who swing chairs, without ever putting those words into the actual order of their team name. "We paid to see Balls and Axl", says one sign in the crowd. I feel bad for whoever's holding that sign. Also, neither of these men is alive now. Hurts. They're not booked, so they want opponents "right effing now". They really let these guys loose on the stick and be effing hardcore, don't they? Holy blinking flip. This has been a ruddy hardcore night and no funking mistake.

Team 3D's graphic appears, but their entrance music doesn't play, instead being replaced by the voice of Joel Gertner, a man wider than he is tall in that fur coat. Dudleys are all tie-dyed up like the good old days. It sounds like a crow is being sexually abused in the crowd. Gertner introduces himself by making a smutty reference to Lady Gaga ("Poker Face", obviously) which gets a "That's hardcore" chant. And yet Kahoneys couldn't say anything worse than effing. Ray threatens to assault Gertner when he almost says "Dudley Boys" by mistake. Then he declares the match to be a South Philadelphia Street Fight. You know, in that little suburb of South Philadelphia that is Orlando, Florida.

Match 5: Team 3D (Brother Ray/Brother Devon) vs. Axl Rotten/Kahoneys

About the first minute of this is lame, slow-paced brawling. Taz calls Kahoneys "Balls Mahoney" twice by mistake. He does say "Balls able to drop" though, which makes up for it. "Hey Balls, how about some head?" -Brother Ray, throwing one of those mannequin heads so far off Kahoneys' head, it bounces. It fucking bounces. They brawl into the crowd, which actually captures the ECW spirit for the first time this show. The most interesting half of the brawl is the one with Ray and Kahoneys. They start going at each other with (non-gimmicked?) beer bottles, then Ray plants a kiss on a fan, one of the teenage girl demographic in the shitty seats. Taz compares old, blond Axl Rotten to "Sting, but different".

Brother Ray does a superb flop after taking a garbage can lid shot. Apparently, the cookie sheet "has been used many a time on Swanson and Rechner" - I get Rechner, but who's Swanson? No one by that name has worked with ECW. So many weapon shots to the head. Yikes. Eventually Kahoneys and Ray get out toy lightsabers! Crowd is so hyped for this, and so am I! "Use the Force" chants. Ray appears to be using a red lightsaber, foreshadowing his later heel turn. He loses, but gives his opponent a shot to the Kahoneys afterward (I'm disappointed that the commentators also thought of this one).

A bit of lame "wrestling", but the crowd is hyped for it, giving off "E-C-Dub" and "this is awesome" chants. Eventually they get restless. Dueling "we want tables/we want fire" chants. You'd best do that so Ray doesn't feel short-changed for stopping his current feud. Devon takes an unprotected chair shot to the head but Ray sells. Tables are indeed gotten, and lit, Kahoneys goes through a flaming table, and that's the pin and the win. Ray declares themselves the greatest tag team in the world, but then...

About as good a ripoff as you can get of "Natural Born Killaz" plays as the Gangstas enter. New Jack - a hiring so ill-advised you can imagine Dixie Carter pleading for it - brings weapons galore. In fact, he brings everything but the kitchen sink, which is why it's a good thing Mustafa has brought a kitchen sink basin. There's more brawling - for the record, Brother Ray is 0-2 when using a lightsaber - before they just... hug it out? And Rotten/Kahoneys show up to hug too? I would not trust New Jack not to pull a shiv on everyone.

Raven is sitting in a corner backstage, talking about his history with Tommy Dreamer and reminding us that, yes, this feud is because Dreamer is with Beulah now. It's actually a really good promo, despite being silly. Raven has that je ne sais quoi on interviews. Jesse Neal reminisces about going from seeing his first ECW show at 15 to being trained by Team 3D. It's nice to see the stars with even a vague connection to ECW in these segments. Similarly, Kazarian talks about being trained by Killer Kowalski and being taken to work ECW shows. Then we get a segment of ECW guys praising Joey Styles, who predictably isn't here.

Match 6: Tommy Dreamer vs. Raven (Special Guest Referee: Mick Foley)

Foley looks like he drew the ref stripes on his own shirt. Raven goes over to taunt Beulah (referred to by her real name, Trisa) and the kids at ringside - it's the little touches. "Uncle Scotty" chants. Foley tells the two of them he's giving a bit of leeway, to which Raven responds the correct way by giving Dreamer a kick right in the dick. This doesn't start out too great, even by 2010 standards. Commentary can't think of anything to talk about but how great Paul Heyman is. A great little character moment - after Dreamer's bust open by crashing face-first into chairs, Raven drags the action to where Beulah and the kids are, leading Dixie to usher them away. Can't be nice to see your father bleeding.

"Tommy use my sign" says one fan's sign. He does, as it's actually a street sign covered over with card paper. After he delivers the sign shot (to the head, naturally) Raven rolls out and visibly blades. Dreamer at a good 0.4 Muta at this point, and Raven cut open too. They spend a bunch of time murdering each other with a ladder, then dueling chants break out. Like, a few ladder spots later and suddenly half the crowd is okay with Raven stealing a man's family. Dreamer hits a Dreamer Driver but doesn't bother with the pin. "Oh my god" chants for the tree of woe dropkick. I guess theatrics can make anything pop.

Dreamer somehow manages to produce the most sickening spot yet by delivering a crossface with barbed wire. I'd be careful with that, Tommy, especially if you're going with the family angle. The last guy to do a crossface like that wasn't exactly a great father. Fortunately for Raven, BW2.0 (ew) come out and attack Foley before he can see Raven tapping. "That's Nova." says Mike Tenay, not even wanting to acknowledge the fake Meanie. Once that ugliness is cleared up, Evenflow DDT gets two. Foley shows us that "giving leeway" does not mean "let your ex-stablemates run riot", and gives an oddly clean sock to Raven (as the non-copyrighted substitute for Mr. Socko, most likely).

The nobody from before shows up and dropkicks Dreamer. "Who are you?" chants as commentary recognises him as Lupus. Who was (checks Wikipedia)... an obscure guy who was part of Raven's Nest way back in the day. Got to hand it to him, at least Samuel Shaw's got the mannerisms right, with the blow-up doll and the nose picking. Then he takes a barbed-wire Socko from Foley. "Holy shit" chants, and this time they're actually earned, given that this guy is making his TNA debut and getting so painfully fucked up.

While Dreamer is handcuffed and eating chairshots by the dozen, Beulah enters via the entrance ramp this time. She begs Raven to stop, then when he doesn't, kicks him right in the nuts. Then Dreamer can hit him with a handcuffed DDT for a satisfying finish to the match-- wait. Raven kicked out? Why? And why did he just DDT Dreamer and get the three? What was the point of that? The fans do show their appreciation to Dreamer, meeting him and Beulah with "ECW" chants as they exit. Except for the one fan that tells Dreamer "You still suck". Probably another of the obscure members of the Nest.

After an ad for the Impact show that will be better in terms on in-ring action than this, we get a surprise appearance by both JB and SoCal Val. I always mark for SoCal Val appearances, simply because she always used to do the TNA media stuff in the UK. She seems so genuine and so lovely. They have a run in with the Gangstas, which leads to New Jack harassing Val and letting Mustafa take her away. After that bit of implied rape, we're informed that JB is New Jack's bitch. Jesus. This is even more uncomfortable than Heidenreich. We get a segment similar to the Joey Styles one, but for Paul Heyman, who also isn't here.

Match 7: Rob Van Dam vs. Sabu - Hardcore Match

"This is your main eventch", according to Stephen. RVD's discordant theme is accompanied by the whistling of Bill Alfonso... who quickly runs up the ramp when Sabu's music hits to accompany him too. It's moments like these that remind me why I'm doing this. "Flair fears Franchise" sign which only drives it home for me: they weren't desperate enough to have to call Shane Douglas. (Actually, they did call Shane Douglas. He turned them down.) Sabu's introduction as "homicidal, suicidal, and genocidal" reminds me that right now, TNA have both Homicide and Suicide. It's a shame they never had a guy called Genocide. Did I say shame? I mean relief.

This starts really slow, with minimal contact. Soon Bill Alfonso whistles and slides a chair into the ring, which Sabu is first to. Somehow, a chair-springboard kick by Sabu which lets RVD fall head-first into the set-up chair... only gets a one count. Not even a two. I guess all that weed smoking has turned all of RVD's bones into some kind of tough rubber. Sabu does a springboard... headlock? into the crowd. That's pretty hype, in all honesty. He later goes for a chair-assisted Camel Clutch. Continuity of some sort... family continuity? This is mostly just stock RVD and Sabu spots, including the monkey flip. Both go for a spin kick off the ropes at the same time and collide with each other. Then Alfonso calls a water break. I changed my mind, all ECW nostalgia is good.

Tables are gotten. RVD does a leg drop off the ring apron to Sabu hung on the guardrail, because... why? Why would that not hurt you more than it hurts your opponent? Given what we know about leg drops. Then a slingshot leg drop to the apron over the steel chair. How is RVD's tailbone not dust? Oh yeah, tough rubber. Sabu does a springboard hurricanrana that actually pops me. They're still using that same chair, which I like. The chair is so versatile. You know what I don't like? Chairshots to the head, especially when they're denying us a perfectly good table spot. "This is awesome" for corner kicks. A fan successfully calls Rolling Thunder before it happens. It's not exactly clairvoyance, given RVD always does this, but there you go.

The basic structure of the match is: chair-based spot, pin, two count, repeat. The most notable of these is a springboard tornado DDT by Sabu on to the chair. Alfonso's whistle is getting annoying. Finish is a missed spot sending Sabu through a table and leading to a 5-Star Frog Splash for the pin and the win. We get a friendly reminder that he's going to do what is billed as even more hardcore than this on Impact in 4 days. The ECW guys unite in the ring as "Fuck you, Vince" chants break out. I hate to say it, but WWECW was closer to the legacy of the company than this. Dreamer thanks Dixie, and Brother Ray carries her to the ring (but sadly doesn't powerbomb her through a table). Only at this point do I notice how atrocious the font for this show is. See you on Impact...

Next Up: Impact - The Whole F'n Show
Rob Van Dam (c) vs. Abyss - Stairway to Janice match for the World Heavyweight Championship
Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley/Chris Sabin) [2] vs. Beer Money, Inc. (Robert Roode/James Storm) [2] - World Tag Team Championship Best of 5 Series 2/3 Falls Match
Madison Rayne (c) vs. Angelina Love - for the Knockouts Championship
Kurt Angle vs. AJ Styles - Career Threatening Match
Mr. Anderson vs. Matt Morgan vs. D'Angelo Dinero
Jeff Hardy vs. ???​

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
What a glorious night in the history of our business

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Impact August 12, 2010: The Whole F'n Show - All Talk, No Action... or is that the other way around?

No intro, no opening packages... They must be serious about getting right into the PPV-quality matches. Except when they say Hulk Hogan has a special surprise for us. If this truly is no talk, all action, that means he's getting back into the ring... oh no. Thankfully, Jeremy Borash's delightful announcing voice comes in to distract us from that dreadful thought.

Match 1: Kurt Angle vs. AJ Styles - Career Threatening Match

Angle comes out in a T-shirt, but thankfully takes it off. He's not yet out of shape enough that he has to wrestle in one. A fairly face reaction for AJ. AJ kicks Angle against the ring ropes in a way that looks like a lame tap dance. We're reminded of TNA ReAction debuting tonight, which is probably going to make me miss some more storyline developments. Like that whole Knockouts feud that took place on Xplosion. AJ goes for a slingshot double sledge - what does he gain from that? It looks like it'd hurt him more than it does Kurt. Same with a lot of slingshot moves. Tenay talks about AJ renaming his belt the TV title... but notes that it's not being defended right now, on TV. Hey, you're stealing my material!

One suplex lands AJ uncomfortably on his head and neck. Oof. The teenage girl demographic (well, one of them) really likes AJ. Tenay calls one of AJ's moves a flying elbow and a forearm in the same sentence. Should have called it a "forearm-style elbow" instead. You can't go wrong there! Pele kick causes the crowd to break out in "ole" chants. (El Generico had TNA tryouts at one point but they turned him down. Yeah.) AJ does that moonsault -> DDT thing and I'm sure Kurt doesn't kick out before the three. AJ's look... I'll just say, it isn't the look of a man who doesn't think the ref has botched the finish. He later grabs the ref's shirt, and I fear yet another ref bump. Ankle Lock ends it. That... wasn't at the level that AJ and Angle can achieve together - or have achieved together.

Match 2: Madison Rayne (c) vs. Angelina Love - for the Knockouts Championship

There really is no letup here. There's no interstitial segments, it's all just crammed in. "TNA Knockouts Ladies Championship" -JB, twice. Madison still entering to the Beautiful People music, about which I have mixed feelings. It reflects that she's not fully split with TBP yet, but also it prevents us from hearing objectively her best theme music yet. A banner in the lower third tells "Become a fan of TNA" by following on Facebook. Implying that no one watching the TV show is a fan. Everyone's just hatewatching. That... is not a completely unfair assumption, given the reactions this product was getting at the time.

Lacey Von Erich is apparently injured, but we only get to find that out during one of Madison's overly sexual headscissors facebusters. That flips her skirt up inside out. Angelina doesn't seem to kick out of the pinfall attempts. Madison just lifts herself off. Biker lady shows up, gets blasted from behind by Velvet with a chair, and the distraction of Velvet trying to yank off her helmet lets Madison get in a belt shot for... two? First Dreamer/Raven and now this, we've got ourselves a double swerve. Turns out, she's got a mask under her helmet, and she runs off... without preventing Angelina from getting a facebuster and pin. New Knockouts Champion - Angelina Love, for real this time. So far, this is not PPV quality.

Match 3: Mr. Anderson vs. Matt Morgan vs. D'Angelo Dinero

"I might be picking up some of that free cheddar on the way to the ring" -Anderson. At least you're not doing it on the way to the ring. This reveals that both Pope and Morgan have received jobber entrances. PPV quality. 30 full seconds of empty belltime as Morgan is met with "You still suck" chants. We're not getting the new Top 10 until next week, apparently. Extended sequence of Pope and Anderson pulling each other off Morgan. The 7-foot nothing spends a long, long time with his "yam-bag region" (I like that expression) on the top rope. Match is fairly short, and ends with Morgan taking Anderson out after he hits a Mic Check and stealing the pin on the Pope. Being Pope is suffering.

Match 4: Jeff Hardy vs. ???

Hardy had to be in this "once in a lifetime" Impact, apparently. Is that his logic for all the events he wrestles in? Did he "have to be" at Victory Road no matter what? The mystery opponent is... Shannon Moore. Hear that sound? That's the sound of the hype being sucked out of the room. Moore is really not a singles guy, and has never impressed me when asked to work singles, so having him appear against a guy who does all the same things as him but better... it's not going to sell me on him as a threat. "We're leaving here brothers" -Moore, who has forgotten about Jesse Neal. Also he's wearing a shirt that's a promotion for a Seltzer and Friedberg movie. I wish I were making that up.

Early offense is lame. "It looks like Shannon Moore has a dragon screw in mind" -Taz. That sounds wrong. A slingshot move by Moore gets boos and then TNA chants? What? A ring apron sunset flip is teased, which would have been a crazy spot. Instead, Moore just trips Hardy. It's not a safety issue because Hardy gets rana'd into the concrete anyway. This match looks like it's about to be mercifully ended with the usual Hardy spots, but Moore gets his knees up for the Swanton. Ugh. It's done after a failed Mooregasm attempt leads to a successful Swanton. It's part of my philosophy that a bad event is better than a boring one. You saw how much I enjoyed HardCORE Justice, but this event is dragging for me. Still, we've got two potentially great matches planned. Here's hoping!

Match 5: Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley/Chris Sabin) [2] vs. Beer Money, Inc. (Robert Roode/James Storm) [2] - World Tag Team Championship Best of 5 Series 2/3 Falls Match

JB makes no mention of this being 2/3 falls. I already find the blood splatter aesthetics of this show offputting. I'm glad they don't come back. MCMG have new lame, generic graphics. The crowd absolutely loves Alex Shelley. I'm shocked that he's the only one in this ring that never held a world title in the USA. I know I say this every Guns tag match, but their double team moves are so beautiful and free-flowing. Taz talks a bit about the in-universe psychology of getting the first fall vs. losing it. I like this Taz, not when he's volunteering to be a second rope like he did during Rayne vs. Love.

Shelley appears to have gotten an eye rake in. Pay evil unto evil? "This is wrestling" chants. For once, I agree. One of the coolest moves I've ever seen follows: Shelley has Roode in a front facelock, he baits Storm into charging and grabs him, then Sabin goes for a missile dropkick so Shelley can drop back and hit both a DDT and a facebuster at the same time! It's even better than it sounds. It still doesn't get the first fall, but it gets a TNA chant. That doesn't get a replay, though. What does is a suicide dive and crossbody. It's flashier, but I don't think it's as cool. Eventually, a DWI takes the first fall for Beer Money.

Roode does the smart thing and goes for the second fall right away. It doesn't take long, though, until that one neckbreaker/crossbody combo move gets the second fall for MCMG in short order. I find that with these genuinely good matches, I don't have too much to talk about. Shelley's suicide dive really looks like he's going to break his neck on the guardrail. Double stomps always look so brutal, but tree of woe double stomps - like Alex Shelley does - seem worst of all. Speaking of moves that will probably break your neck: Sabin's springboard spike DDT.

An assisted swinging neckbreaker (it really doesn't seem Shelley does much but holding up the target's legs) gets a two. Shelley goes for Sliced Bread on Storm but his feet land on Roode, which makes him look silly. So many false finishes in this match. Misdirected Last Call that hits Roode followed by that same neckbreaker/crossbody looks like it should be a finish, but doesn't. And then they switch the roles and it's a finisher now! MCMG win the series and retain, in such a weird way, but it doesn't matter. This match was a constant high, and I'm concerned that the upcoming Hogan/Bischoff/Abyss shenanigans will be the comedown.

Match 6: Rob Van Dam (c) vs. Abyss - Stairway to Janice match for the World Heavyweight Championship (Special Guest Referee: Eric Bischoff)

Turns out JB just isn't announcing the stips. Abyss tries to climb the ladder and grab Janice before the match even begins, which necessitates a mad dash by RVD to stop it. It would be so Russo if that happened. "E-C-Dub" and "oh my god" chants in response to RVD holding a ladder. These people are easily pleased. I get the feeling that bulldogs are a lot less effective against a guy in a thick leather mask. Why does no one try to troll the wrestlers when they prop a ladder on the guardrail? Why does no one try to push away the guardrail? I hear a whistle and worry that the geriatric-looking Bill Alfonso is going to come back.

A surprise appearance by Terry Taylor, of all people. RVD tries to monkey flip a 350-pound monster, and proves once again that faces are idiots. Abyss gives RVD a sick chokeslam, but then loses his balance, falls off the ladder, and looks quite silly. Abyss brings out the thumbtacks... who, outside Abyss, has taken a thumbtack bump in a match involving Abyss? I can imagine it's not many. Eric Bischoff can't even bear to watch, which would be okay, if he weren't supposed to be the referee. RVD is the only one who's ever thought to stop before running into a barbed wire board. He climbs the ladder, but waits lamely with Janice in his hand because Abyss has missed his cue.

At last, Abyss retrieves his girl while there's a good while of genuine concern that RVD might be hurt. Abyss successful attempts to use Janice: still 0. Chair and barbed wire board Van Daminator makes Tenay squeal like his balls have been clamped. 5-Star Frog Splash gets the pin and the win, and he's still champ. How did Eric Bischoff as referee figure in this match? RVD sits on the ladder like a hardcore motherfucker who's done so much ridiculous shit recently, and out comes Hogan for his special surprise. I don't like where this is going.

Hogan does his only face promo these days, putting the company over, and he puts Sabu over as the most dangerous man in the business (New Jack wasn't available to be mentioned in this promo). Hardcore Justice and this show were cool, according to Hogan, and that leads to EV2.0 all coming out. Hogan puts the ECW guys over, and then Dreamer puts TNA and Dixie over. The ends of these past shows have just been a lovefest, haven't they?

The lights go out, Mick Foley's downed, and Dreamer should feel very silly as the self-styled representatives of TNA, Fortune, all attack his crew. Raven and Sandman each make run-ins but look like losers (as old guys should, honestly). We get split screen backstage to Abyss... and RVD is dead. He's just dead. He's so bloody and lacerated, there's no other explanation than Abyss just killed him. The reason why this happened, it's just a treat. RVD had run out of 2010 dates, so they had to write the belt off him somehow, but he was interviewed as saying he refused to lose to anyone who wasn't a star in the Attitude Era! Great hiring choice, TNA! Really building to the future. And this ends this "PPV quality" show. 2 PPV quality matches and a bunch of TV fodder. See you next Impact.