Official NRL thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Moonlight Drive

nrl.com said:
The stage has been set for the inaugural Harvey Norman All Stars match on February 13 with the announcement today of an NRL All Stars side that brings together some of the game’s biggest names in one team for the first ever time.

Wayne Bennett couldn’t hide the smile as he unveiled a side that features Billy Slater, Israel Folau, Benji Marshall, Darren Lockyer, Cameron Smith, Dave Taylor, Jarryd Hayne, Kurt Gidley and a star from every NRL team.

NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, joined the NRL All Stars coach along with Marshall and Taylor to end two months of public voting and to signal an historic start to the 2010 Rugby League season.

The NRL All Stars team to take on the Indigenous All Stars at Skilled Park on February 13 is:

Number

Player

Club

Billy Slater

Melbourne Storm

Israel Folau

Brisbane Broncos

Michael Jennings

Penrith Panthers

Matt Cooper

St George Illawarra Dragons

Manu Vatuvei

New Zealand Warriors

Darren Lockyer *

Brisbane Broncos

Benji Marshall *

Wests Tigers

Adam Blair *

Melbourne Storm

Cameron Smith *

Melbourne Storm

Dave Taylor

South Sydney Rabbitohs

Anthony Watmough

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles

Gareth Ellis

Wests Tigers

Luke O’Donnell

North Queensland Cowboys

Kurt Gidley

Newcastle Knights

Anthony Tupou

Cronulla Sharks

Nate Myles

Sydney Roosters

Alan Tongue

Canberra Raiders

Luke Bailey

Gold Coast Titans

Josh Morris

Canterbury Bulldogs

Jarryd Hayne

Parramatta Eels
* Indicates automatically selected players

The team will assemble on Sunday, February 7, with its first public appearance at Blacktown on Monday, February 8.

“With the names unveiled today the fans have certainly delivered an amazing side for the Harvey Norman All Stars match,” NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said today.

“The prospect of Darren Lockyer, Jarryd Hayne and Benji Marshall together against players like Johnathan Thurston, Greg Inglis, Scott Prince and Preston Campbell is an incredible one for every sports fan.

“Over the last few months, 50,000 voters have made it clear that these are the players the fans want to see and I think everyone is now counting down the days to kick-off.”

NRL All Stars coach Wayne Bennett points to the strike power of both teams in predicting a showcase of League’s speed and skill:

“There might be only two points in it at the end but I can tell you that with the players on these two teams we won’t be looking at a 10-8 score line.

“Players on both sides are genuinely excited about the chance to play together and they’ve all got plenty of pride, they are going to want show what they can do.

“I certainly think the fans have done a great job in selecting both teams.”

The Indigenous All Stars team was named on November 20 and is:
Player

Club
Blake Ferguson

Cronulla Sharks
Carl Webb

North Queensland Cowboys
Cory Paterson

Newcastle Knights
Daine Laurie

Penrith Panthers
George Rose

Manly Sea Eagles
Greg Inglis

Melbourne Storm
Jamal Idris

Canterbury Bulldogs
Jamie Soward

Jharal Yow Yeh

Brisbane Broncos
Joel Thompson

Canberra Raiders
Johnathan Thurston

North Queensland Cowboys
Nathan Merritt

South Sydney Rabbitohs
PJ Marsh

Brisbane Broncos
Preston Campbell ©

Gold Coast Titans
Sam Thaiday

Brisbane Broncos
Scott Prince

Gold Coast Titans
Travis Waddell

Canberra Raiders
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Canberra Raiders
Wendell Sailor

Yileen Gordon

Canterbury Bulldogs

As well as providing one of the most talked about Rugby League season openers ever, the match is on track deliver $1.5 million to 2010 community projects, with a particular focus on Indigenous areas.

“It’s a real example of the clubs and the players coming together to help their community,” Mr Gallop said.

“As well as providing some great entertainment, the match will have a lasting legacy through One Community and Indigenous education programmes.

“The spirit in which the game comes together on the second anniversary of the Prime Minister’s apology to the Stolen Generation underlines the way Rugby League brings people together to celebrate the best in Australian sport.”

If one of the newly-appointed NRL All Stars announced today is unable to play in the Harvey Norman All Stars match, he will be replaced by someone from the bench.

Another player, from the injured player’s club, will fill the bench spot – the new player having recorded the second highest number of votes from that club, either as a forward, back or utility, depending on the position needed for the bench.

While public seating is sold out, there are still a number of corporate packages and seats available for the game. Ticket enquiries can made through Ticketek outlets, on 132 849 or www.ticketek.com.au.

Neither teams seem that good tbh.

seX-Power

They both suck. Why is Hayne not on the starting side? And what happened to Timana Tahu being in the abos team? Not excited for this any more tbh. :\

Moonlight Drive

Think that's just the announced team, I'm sure Hayne will get a start. He'd be the one selling most of the tickets.

The whole 'one player from each team' really killed the whole concept. I understand they don't want an overload of players from the best teams in the comp, but when you've got players like Nathan Hindmarsh, Fuifui Moimoi, Junior Sau, Michael Ennis, Frank Pritchard missing out while mediocre players like Tupou and Myles make the side, it's hardly fair to call them 'All Stars'

Timana is ineligible because he still has a one match suspension carrying over from 07. So fucked up.

seX-Power

lol @ Tupou, Myles, Morris and Cooper being chosen.

Lack of MOIMOI makes me not wanna watch this match at all. Great to see guys like Dave Taylor and Gareth Ellis get some recognition though.

Bullshit regarding the Tahu thing as well.

Moonlight Drive

I will watch just to see the Abo's fuck them up. They've got one fucking dangerous backline, hopefully Soward can prove Lockyer needs to gtfo and make way for him as Aussie five-eight.

What's your Top 8 Brando? (And Catsa and Lennie, since we're the only ones who ever post in here lol)

Storm
Dragons (1 if Gas comes back)
Eels
Knights
Bulldogs
Rabbitohs
Panthers
Tigers

Eagles will fail without Orford, even though he was shit to begin with. Rabbitohs to pwn because of their forward pack tbh. BURGESS~!

seX-Power

Eels
Storm
Dragons
Bulldogs
Rabbitohs
Broncos
Tigers
Titans

This is me forgetting half the teams in the NRL after an off season that went wayyyy too long.

Moonlight Drive

Lacks of Knights makes me lol.

And we all know the Tigers are never going to make the 8. It's too funny watching them fall short every year.

Moonlight Drive

Kimmorley and Ennis can suck my balls. Mullen and De Gois for Origin.

Moonlight Drive

De Gois fucking owns. He's going to go places.

I do ily Morts, but I don't know if he's ready. Campese, Mullen and Pearce were all rattled when they were thrown in in the last few years, and they had been in the NRL for longer than he, except for maybe Pearce. Daniel Mortimer for Origin 2011 imo.

Just to add to the hooker debate, who do you reckon they should pick out of Farah or Ennis (since they're too stupid to pick Isaac!)?

Ennis if they pick Kimmorley at halfback due to their club combination, otherwise I reckon Robbie should get the nod.

seX-Power

Campese, Mullen and Pearce were all fair shit though. Well, at least Pearce.

Ennis > Farah though, he's just more suited to Origin.

Is Gareth Ellis available for Origin?

Moonlight Drive

Pearce fucking sucks. Mortimer is good, but we'll have to see if he can overcome Second Season Syndrome.

Not sure, but I doubt it, don't think he can qualify through residency. Would be epic if he could though.

Just while we're on the topic, NSW Selectors are idiots. If we lose the series again because they're so keen on chopping and changing the key positions, I'm going to convert.

seX-Power

What are your thoughts on whatever luls the Roosters are going through in the pre-season? Wooden spoon again? Although the addition of Todd Carney could really boost them, he could always move back to booze and strippers and get fired again...

Moonlight Drive

Roosters are going to fail again, the club is messed up. They've lost Willie, which I don't understand. Todd Carney gets kicked out of the fucking competition and is welcomed in, Mason urinates in public and gets drunk every now and then and is out of the club? I don't know how Carney's going to do at fullback, but I'll give him a chance. Don't think they'll get the spoon, but they won't make the 8.

Spoon will probably go to Broncos or Sea Eagles.