Today in WWE History

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
where am I? who are you kids?

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Today in WWE History March 25th! takes us all the way back to 2002 when WWE held there VERY first Draft.

This Draft was done like a Draft in other sports are done where the Raw and SD Owners would PICK the Superstar they wanted on the show. The very first person ever drafted in the WWE would be The Rock when he was drafted by Vince to be part of the Smackdown Roster.

Let's take a little look at what built up for this to happen. After seeing WCW & ECW fall to WWE at Survivor Series the next night on Raw saw the return of Ric Flair where he tells Vince he is 50% Owner of the WWE thanks to Stephanie and Shane selling him there shares. Flair would have a feud with Vince for a little while before Flair would move into a feud with The Undertaker but Flair was told if he wanted a Match with Undertaker at the Grand-Daddy of them all Wrestlemania he'd have to return Full Onwership to Vince and Flair agreed but The Board said hey you know let's just review this after Wrestlemania After Mania they decided to split Raw and Smackdown up with Flair running Raw and Vince running Smackdown.

Honestly this was also another little good draft, pretty cool way too do it. If this was done again I could easily see the first pick being John Cena with the second being either Punk or Orton.

Funny thing is I didn't even know this was on this date and I was just rewatching and reading all about it again last night :laugh: but I want to take a look at my favorite scene from this draft as we talk about it so what did you think of the very first WWE Draft?

[YOUTUBE]8g4J8xTXr-c[/YOUTUBE]

First few second has well start of one of Rock's video's but it gets to it.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Even the Rock's parents genetalia did not make The Rock.

Reaction score
The draft really didn't make sense. You had Ric Flair drafting the nWo (How they could picked together is anyone's guess) despite hating them. Immediately afterward, Flair drafts Kane to keep the nWo at bay. If the nWo is a problem, why draft them? Then again, Flair's first draft pick was his biggest enemy - The Undertaker. He even finished off his list of picks by drafting Lita. Why? McMahon's picks were better, but SD ended up screwed. Rock left for Hollywood, Hogan would be gone before the end of summer, Chris Benoit would return to Raw, Billy and Chuck would be broken up before the end of the year, Mark Henry would be a bust and injured again, and Maven would lose the Hardcore Title before the brand extension even went into effect.

Sadly, the draft also temporarily killed the tag division and forced the WWE to create such "Epic" teams as Rikishi/Rico and Al Snow/Maven.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Huh, I can actually answer some of these.

The draft really didn't make sense. You had Ric Flair drafting the nWo (How they could picked together is anyone's guess) despite hating them. Immediately afterward, Flair drafts Kane to keep the nWo at bay. If the nWo is a problem, why draft them?

Vince gave the nWo special exception to be drafted as a unit, something to do with their contracts I believe. Flair then picked them to keep them out of Vince's reach and try to restrict the damage they could cause. I believe that was the same thinking with Taker, although both showed why Flair sucked as a GM, picking guys to annoy Vince rather than, y'know, building a decent roster.

Maven would lose the Hardcore Title before the brand extension even went into effect

TBF, that's a pretty good twist on the draft. Maven was only picked because of the belt he held, losing it days before the split went into effect allowed Flair to P.O Vince one last time.

Reaction score
Vince gave the nWo special exception to be drafted as a unit, something to do with their contracts I believe. Flair then picked them to keep them out of Vince's reach and try to restrict the damage they could cause. I believe that was the same thinking with Taker, although both showed why Flair sucked as a GM, picking guys to annoy Vince rather than, y'know, building a decent roster.

Which really doesn't make sense. Although, it's not as hilarious as Austin's "If the WWE is ever split into two brands, he'll have his choice of which brand to go to" clause in his contract. Austin's lawyer is a motherfucking genius for thinking up such a wacky clause. :lol:

TBF, that's a pretty good twist on the draft. Maven was only picked because of the belt he held, losing it days before the split went into effect allowed Flair to P.O Vince one last time.

What makes it bad though is that Raw had the IC, Euro and now Hardcore titles. SD had the CW title and a pair of tag titles without any real challengers. SD could have really used a midcard title.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
I enjoyed the draft just because it was innovative for its time.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Today in WWE History takes us back to 2001 yet again, a few days ago I posted from there how the announcement was made about the WWE buying WCW. Well today is the day of the final head-to-head for Nitro and Raw. The end of the Monday Night Wars.

What a sad day it truly was, watching WCW knowing that it would be the last one. What a great ending thought with Shane appearing on WCW saying he had bought WCW, leading to what COULD have been a GREAT storyline but turned out to be a pretty ok to good storyline.

I think all this could have been handled a bit better and gave fans truly what they'd like to see a true war between WCW and WWE but it got all messed up and that honestly sucks.

So what do you think about the final time WWE had to go head to head with WCW?

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
One of the saddest days of my life, back then you didn't have all the information that we do now from the internet about who bought who or who is signing with who. I had no clue and watched the show and became furious.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Today in WWE History! March 27th, 2010, WWE Hall of Fame Ceremony live from Phoenix, Arizona

The Class of that year

Ted DiBiase
Antonio Inoki
Wendi Richter
Maurice ‘Mad Dog’ Vachon
Gorgeous George
Stu Hart
Bob Uecker

Honestly a pretty good glas of pretty well deserved legends. I loved the story told about his gimmick and when he came in and WWE told him what they wanted to do and how he had no problem with it. The finishing touch was the money falling for everyone.

Anyway, your opinion on the 2010 Class, any changes you'd make? Who would you take out and who would you replace them with.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Today in WWE History keeps us in 2010 where we see HBK had his last and final match.

This was a sad moment for me, Shawn was honestly one of the best of all times. Too see him finally done was a tear jerking moment and honestly I'm proud of him not being like other legends who retire and then come back for another run. That being said I wouldn't mind him doing one more match or something down the road.

Swamps

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
ceaRtck
Much respect to the Heartbreak Kid. My favorite wrestler growing up. I remember watching the earlier WWE Primetime in the 1990s and seeing him wrestle Koko B. Ware, Jimmy Superfly Snuka, and Jim Powers. Just seems like yesterday I saw him fueding with Tatanka over the IC Title.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I'm proud of him not being like other legends who retire and then come back for another run.
He's still capable of coming back for another run, but I doubt he will.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
He's still capable of coming back for another run, but I doubt he will.

Oh I know he could, its just so many people "retire" just to come back. I respect him for sticking with it when I know it can't be easy. He started young, very young so he was doing it forever, to retire and be able to do it couldn't be easy.

Sent from my SPH-M580BST using Tapatalk 2

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
TODAY IN WWE HISTORY! Wrestlemania 3 HELD LIVE! at the Pontiac Silverdome in 1987.

Wrestlemania 3 had some awesome moments. Macho Man and Ricky Steamboat steals the show with there great match, but the moment that was heard around the world is when Hogan slams Andre the Giant.

Wrestlemania 3, one of the best. Was a favorite of mine to watch on my WM Set I got. What did you think of Wrestlemania 3?