Today in WWE History

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
WCW was just pure shit at the end... I mean come on

It was shit but I would still watch it over what we have now and then on RAW fucking AOL screwed everything.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Hell I would have been happy with Vince keeping WCW around and shutting down smackdown instead or keeping and running it as its own separate company. I think things would have been better and used WCW to help his creative team pumping out good shows for both companies.

I'd had liked that, would it still be Nitro but like Friday Night Nitro?

The original plan was for WCW to be the babyface in the Invasion and they were going to win the angle declaring SmackDown! as their show.

It didn't pan out that way as first TNN refused to host WCW programming. Then the fans wouldn't get behind WCW stars so they turned heel.

After that things fizzled out due to the booking and Vince blamed WCW for that and turned SD! into it's own brand instead.

I never heard of this, learn something new every day.

Kind of how WWE is now? WCW in it's prime was great, even when it was getting kinda blah I was bleeding WCW, I got to see both shows cause we had two VCR's and Two TV's :laugh: but i'd watch which ever tv has Nitro on it for that night and watch Raw later cause that's how big a fan of it I was. But I know you're not old enough to know when WCW was good so I'll let you get away with that.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
You're pure shit.

It was shit but I would still watch it over what we have now and then on RAW fucking AOL screwed everything.

WCW had greatly improved in their final few months. Hell, they were actually using logic in their booking.
Exactly. WCW actually had a lot of greatness going on in the last six months. I thought it was the best WCW had been in a long time.

I'd had liked that, would it still be Nitro but like Friday Night Nitro?

I never heard of this, learn something new every day.

Kind of how WWE is now? WCW in it's prime was great, even when it was getting kinda blah I was bleeding WCW, I got to see both shows cause we had two VCR's and Two TV's :laugh: but i'd watch which ever tv has Nitro on it for that night and watch Raw later cause that's how big a fan of it I was. But I know you're not old enough to know when WCW was good so I'll let you get away with that.
It would have been WCW SmackDown!. WWE weren't going to revive the Nitro name after TNN refused to air it.

UPN already had a contract to air SD! so simply rebranding it as WCW was a simpler solution.

WCW fans make my heart warm and my pants tight. I miss the days of the nWo and Cruiserweights.

The Viper

Reaction score
I love going back and watching WCW in 2000 just for the nostalgia because that's when I started to watch WCW. I was so damn late :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
To be fair, WCW in the Monday Night Wars wasn't very good. The Cruiserweights rarely had any actual angles, the main events virtually always ended in DQ when the nWo came in, the commentators refused to talk about anything except for the nWo, the nWo was a brilliant idea that ended up being terrible because Bischoff was forever stuck in the middle phase of the group, they failed to use their top guys to get newer stars over, so many of their main eventers didn't care and it showed in their matches and a lot of it just doesn't hold up when you watch it in 2013.

When it comes to WCW, I'd gladly watch 1992 over any of the Monday Night Wars years. The stuff holds up and things were actually advancing (Vader's push, the creation of Dangerous Alliance and push, Erik Watts being pushed, Scott Steiner's short lived push, ect)

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Today in WWE History takes us back to 1991 WrestleMania VII LIVE!!!! from Sports Arena in Los Angeles, California!!

The Main Event was Hulk Hogan vs Sgt. Slaughter!

Now I wasn't born yet back then and only has been able to watch that Wrestlemania once(dvd box set) and can't recall much from it so I don't got much of an opinion here but I will give my insight on the main event from where I can.

Sgt. Slaughter turns heel on all of America at a very important time, a war was going on with Iraq and he joins up with them. Hogan the Real American, the Hero of the USA.

Royal Rumble of 91 we see Sgt. Slaughter win the title and Hogan win the Rumble. As far as I know at this point the Rumble winner didn't get the Wrestlemania match so I got no idea how he got the shot, but that might have helped.

Wrestlemania we have Hogan going in for the US! and Sgt. Slaughter for Iraq.

Hogan ends up winning for America and I approve.

So what are people's opinion on not just that match, but on WrestleMania VII

Reaction score
The funniest thing about the Hogan/Slaughter match is that the Gulf War ended a month earlier! :lol:

Starlight

I'm not sure what years my oldest brother watched wrestling, but he's 29 now. He use to watch WWE when it was WWF. After he grew out of it, he kept all his wrestling stuff in boxes in our storage unit. I use to find posters of wrestlers and divas I never even knew. He had a bunch of posters of his favorite wrestlers and divas, Hulk Hogan, but not the way he looks today, Undertaker in a jazzy gothic attitre and Paul Bearer, Kane with a mask, Sable, PMS (would have loved to seen a female group like that), and stuff like that. Reading what you guys are talking about it seems like WWE was really a lot better back then. Some of the best feuds I know probably wouldn't make the top 100 list in WWE/WWF history, or maybe so. It sucks being so young and missing out on so much in wrestling history. :(

I think he also watched a lot of ECW and WCW. I never talk much about wrestling to him because he's constantly on deployment or in the field for his job. He hasn't been a wrestling fan like he was for a long time. Ever since I could conversation about wrestling and not just say, "that was cool," I cannot talk to him about it. LOL

Reaction score
I'm not sure what years my oldest brother watched wrestling, but he's 29 now. He use to watch WWE when it was WWF. After he grew out of it, he kept all his wrestling stuff in boxes in our storage unit. I use to find posters of wrestlers and divas I never even knew. He had a bunch of posters of his favorite wrestlers and divas, Hulk Hogan, but not the way he looks today, Undertaker in a jazzy gothic attitre and Paul Bearer, Kane with a mask, Sable, PMS (would have loved to seen a female group like that), and stuff like that. Reading what you guys are talking about it seems like WWE was really a lot better back then. Some of the best feuds I know probably wouldn't make the top 100 list in WWE/WWF history, or maybe so. It sucks being so young and missing out on so much in wrestling history. :(

You really know how to make a guy feel so old. :lol:

Starlight

You're only 26, but a big gap in between the eras of wrestling. I'm envious you got to see the height of wrestling without a John Cens. :(

Reaction score
You're only 26, but a big gap in between the eras of wrestling. I'm envious you got to see the height of wrestling without a John Cens. :(

Huge gaps. I began watching when Hulk Hogan was on top of the world in the WWF. All of you young whippersnappers make me feel even older than I actually am.

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler