The Amazing Spider-Man

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Pete

Reaction score
So stoked for this! I just hope it's not based on that stupid storyline from the mid-90s where his parents resurfaced but turned out to be robots controlled by the Green Goblin or whoever. Hated that shit.

Also, weren't we supposed to have Black Cat/Gwen Stacy on this one? Or ARE they in it? (Didn't watch the trailer).

Ummmmm...blonde Mary Jane?! I HOPE that's Gwen in that trailer there!

Also, I don't see what's wrong with Tobey Maguire's performance, if you read early Spider-Man comics, Peter's just as mousy as Maguire was in the first two movies.

Toby MacGuire was getting a lot of criticism for his portrayal of Peter Parker/Spiderman. People just weren't into it, and the movies were really far too kid friendly, if you look at the comic books, they are fairly dark at times.

Oh, you mean like Spider-Man: One More Day? *Ducks*

Last edited:

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I wasn't taking a shot at his performance. I thought Toby did an excellent job. Most of the insane fans were. That is Gwen Stacy in there btw.

Andy

Reaction score
So stoked for this! I just hope it's not based on that stupid storyline from the mid-90s where his parents resurfaced but turned out to be robots controlled by the Green Goblin or whoever. Hated that shit.

Not going to happen.

Also, weren't we supposed to have Black Cat/Gwen Stacy on this one? Or ARE they in it? (Didn't watch the trailer).

Black Cat was supposed to be in Raimi's 4th. Well, technically speaking, Felicia Hardy was supposed to be in Raimi's fourth with the character of Black Cat substituted for a new character called the "Vultress." Stacy is in the film.

Ummmmm...blonde Mary Jane?! I HOPE that's Gwen in that trailer there!

Yeppers!

Also, I don't see what's wrong with Tobey Maguire's performance, if you read early Spider-Man comics, Peter's just as mousy as Maguire was in the first two movies.

Eh, he was decent in the role, but Garfield just kills it.

The movie was fucking amazing. The first half of it did feel like "Spiderman," but the second showcased some great plots, subplots, acting, everything. It was just great.

Mr. Krueger

Reaction score
^Really?

The plot was good but the movie was average at best. The fighting sequence was good but was very short. Plus he revealed himself to a lot of people in the process. Its amusing to see that he would tell Gwen that he is spiderman on the very first date itself- plus in a shitty scene (except pulling Gwen towards her.) This should probably have come in the end of the movie or the next one. The story needed some thinking that wise.

Which comic series is this based on? Which particular series tells this story where this plot of Connors/Richard Parker takes place? Can anyone point out?

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Toby MacGuire was getting a lot of criticism for his portrayal of Peter Parker/Spiderman. People just weren't into it, and the movies were really far too kid friendly, if you look at the comic books, they are fairly dark at times.

Very rarely are Spider-Man stories dark, but there are some. Maximum Carnage, & Reign(where Parker kills MJ with radioactive sperm), are the only ones that come to mind off the start. Its not like Punisher, Daredevil, or Blade where nearly every story is seeded in this dark unforgiving Marvel Universe, Spider-Man is the kid friendly fan favorite from Marvel so I expect the movies to reflect that.

The most recent Spider-Man story I read was Spider Island, usually massive crossovers like this kill off a 2nd or 3rd string hero(rarely a 1st string, but it happens) in that story, no heroes died(but the Anti-Venom symbiot did, Brock would later find another "other"), 2 former villains became heroes(Kaine Parker & Flash Thompson), and the hero that was controled(Captain America) was saved by Venom. You also had huge Spider-Villains like Kingpin, & Hobgoblin join forces with the heroes. Sounds like a huge anti-bullying campaign if you ask me.

@Krueger, the only stories that involved Richard Parker lead upto Maximum Carnage, and you later found out that he was a clone. Marvel saying this is closer to the comics is a marketting ploy, as the only things that were right were Gwen before MJ, Organic Webbing is a future mutation, and that Gwen's father treated Spider-Man like a vigilante. Uncle Ben should have been dead before Peter ever took to the streets in costume.

Last edited:

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I thought it was better then the other three.

Mr. Krueger

Reaction score
@Krueger, the only stories that involved Richard Parker lead upto Maximum Carnage, and you later found out that he was a clone. Marvel saying this is closer to the comics is a marketting ploy, as the only things that were right were Gwen before MJ, Organic Webbing is a future mutation, and that Gwen's father treated Spider-Man like a vigilante. Uncle Ben should have been dead before Peter ever took to the streets in costume.

Yeah, my question was that only. The only stories having Richard Parker are the ones where he and Mary Parker are clones controlled by Goblin. Right? THIS particular story of Connors and Parker being lab partners in Oscorp and THEM working on the spiders. This is not in the comics right?

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I thought it was better then the other three.

Well personally I think two will take some beating. I am undecided on this one. The reviews have been good and Garfield in the lead role does off promise, but I am unsure about the director in this sort of film and just don't find Spiderman that interesting compared to something like Batman.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I haven't watched two in awhile so I'll have to watch again to compare but it's better than 1 and 3 and since it's 1 of a new director it only really had to beat that one. Batman and Spiderman cartoons were pretty close for me but movies are not even close.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I just think Batman is a more darker and interesting character with some great villians. I do quite like what Sam Remi did with at least the first two Spiderman films. I will give this one a look just not sure if I will pay for it at the cinema or not.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Most superhero's are hard to pull off in this day just because they tend to have a very happy tone hard to make them dark and gritty like the real world.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Yeah, my question was that only. The only stories having Richard Parker are the ones where he and Mary Parker are clones controlled by Goblin. Right? THIS particular story of Connors and Parker being lab partners in Oscorp and THEM working on the spiders. This is not in the comics right?

I think it was Jackyl.

The closest story I could find was Parker & Brock's fathers worked together on the symbiots in Ultimate Spider-Man.

Pete

Reaction score
^It was definitely one of the Goblins, either Green or Hob.

Also...waitaminute...Uncle Ben DOESN'T die before Peter becomes a hero?!

:huh:

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Sorry, they were LMD( Life Model Decoy) not clones, and Chameleon & Harry Osbourne(not sure if he was a Goblin at the time) were responsable. If they were clones, Jackyl would have been the guy behind it.

Honeslty, unless they are using the Armoured Spider-Man universe from the 90's cartoon this all seems weird(just seen the Spider-Carnage episodes on Disney XD) in that parallel Peter never faced any hardships, and succeded at every chance, he saved Gwen from Norman and marries her, Uncle Ben from the mugger, and even replaced Stark(revealing his identity to everyone from JJ, to Fisk).

One of the reviews I saw said Ben survives the movie, and rumours going around is that the sequel will feature the Sinister Six, so he goes from running from the cops, to fighting 1 villain, to fighting 6? and to market it better, ill bet atleast 1 of them, is a symbiot (they could go all 6 too)

Pete

Reaction score
They could have meant "Ben" as in "Spidey-clone", wasn't his name Ben as well?