Star Wars Movies/TV Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Re: J.J. Abrams: I Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'

Big news at the moment is that someone may have done a u-turn.....

Get ready for a geekgasm, ladies and gentlemen...or at least, Jedi fights with lens flare. The Wrap reports that J.J. Abrams is set to direct Star Wars: Episode VII according to a source close to the production. Ben Affleck was also reportedly in contention for the job.

Abrams will certainly invest some geek cred into Disney's new direction for the franchise thanks to his legion of fans from Lost, the Star Trek films, Fringe and so on. Kathleen Kennedy, the new chief of Lucasfilm under Disney, has reportedly been courting Abrams for a while now. One question that comes into play is whether it will make things tricky for his production company Bad Robot's close relationship with Paramount. His latest film, Star Trek Into Darkness opens on May 18.

Spokespeople for Lucasfilm, Abrams and Bad Robot have declined comment.

411mania

None of the people who need to have commented yet, but big story nonetheless.

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
This is how I found out about this news
9a3y7yde.jpg

Krisis

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
kofi
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
rtruth
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
sheltonbenjamin
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
I read somewhere that abrams had no intention of doing starwars. I'll have to c if I can dig it up though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
It's posted in this thread he just changed his mind I guess

Castiel

Reaction score
Re: Star Wars Episode VII News & Discussion Thread

He knows the universe and he's a good sci-fi director without a doubt, I guess he's a reasonable choice. Directing both Trek and Wars seems odd and hilarious to me though. Doesn't he have enough on his plate with the Star Trek sequels? Though I guess he's only got one left to do assuming it will be a trilogy.

Postman Dave

Reaction score

He may pass Star Trek onto another director. And this may be the only Star Wars film he does.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

DISNEY CONFIRMS STAR WARS SPIN OFF MOVIES, AND THE RUMORS START FLYING FASTER THAN HAN MADE THE KESSEL RUN

This was a big week for Star Wars news, and there's a lot of angles to address, but it all starts (logically, if not chronologically) with a statement by Disney CEO Bob Iger. Explaining how the plan for the next Star Wars trilogy is spread out across the next six years (with estimated release dates in 2015, 2017, and 2019), Iger addressed how Disney is going to fill the gaps between those films, namely with spin off movies involving "great Star Wars characters that are not part of the overall saga." The first rumor (and this story actually predated Iger's announcement) involved Yoda, and included a very brief reference to a Jabba the Hutt project. Then, after Iger's announcement, two completely different characters were rumored as subjects of scripts by Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg: as reported by Entertainment Weekly, two of the spin off movies will tell flashback stories for Han Solo (how he became a smuggler, probably) and Boba Fett (not necessarily an origin, but set in the most wretched hives of bounty hunting scum and villainy). In particular, the idea of a "young Han Solo" movie can easily be seen by fans with some skepticism, as the challenge will be in finding a young actor who can take on the role of one of cinema's most classic characters. There's also the issue of whether Han Solo needs an origin story at all. As for Boba Fett... how one feels about him getting a movie probably depends upon whether you've drank the long-standing proverbial Kool-Aid that is the cult of Boba.

Damn I love news like this. There are so many side movies that could be made about some of the characters and where they came from and how they met who they met. I like this.

Star Wars news has been releasing faster than Han Solo can cover 12 Parsecs, ever since new Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy convinced J.J. Abrams to direct Episode VII and help with ushering in a new era for the mythological sci-fi franchise (now that George Lucas has passed the reins on to another generation of filmmakers).

The big announcements this week have concerned possible standalone movies (or, rather, character-oriented spinoffs), in addition to the central Episodes. Disney CEO Bob Iger confirmed such projects are developing – with Episode VII consulting screenwriters Lawrence Kasdan (The Empire Strikes Back) and Simon Kinberg (X-Men: Days of Future Past) working on the scripts – and rumored subjects include young Han Solo, Boba Fett and Jedi Master Yoda.

Tom Kane currently voices the character on the animated Star Wars: The Clone Wars TV series, but Muppet and Sesame Street puppeteer icon Frank Oz handled his vocals in the previous five live-action installments featuring the small, but wise and deadly, warrior. Oz informed Hero Complex that he is prepared to return to the role in the potential spinoff film, saying “He’s in my heart, I know Yoda very deeply.” However, he does not expect to bring Yoda back to his animatronic roots, after the leap to being a digitally-rendered player in the second and third prequel trilogy installments.

“I think it depends on the story, but I think at this point you can’t go back to the puppet,” he said. “The reason George [Lucas] did the CGI, which I supported, was that he wanted to tell a story that would have been hampered by the physical limitations of the puppet.”

It’s worth noting Oz’s interest in revisiting the Yoda character in a new Star Wars movie, seeing how he earned a fair amount of attention for declining the chance to participate in Disney’s The Muppets after citing issues with the script (for more, check out this Metro interview from September 2011). However, Oz has always maintained that he was satisfied with how Yoda was portrayed throughout the prequels and insisted that “As long as the character is believable, alive and pure, I’m happy.”

Oz isn’t the only Star Wars alum to express an interest in participating in the next generation of live-action installments, with Samuel L. Jackson (Mace Windu in the prequel trilogy) as well as original trilogy leads Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford all indicating they’re game. Indeed, the developing Episode VII screenplay from Oscar-winner Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3) is rumored to include age-appropriate versions of Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa and Han Solo custom-made for the famous actor trio.

Similarly, a Yoda spinoff could allow for Jackson to reprise as Windu, possibly in a variation on the Seven Samurai-style Jedi movie that filmmaker Zack Snyder (300, Man of Steel) is heavily-rumored to have discussed with Lucasfilm reps. Of course, there are multiple other directions such a project could take, seeing how the character has some 800-900 years of backstory that remains unexplored (in the live-action Star Wars-verse, anyway).

Star Wars: Episode VII remains (officially) on-course for a 2015 release, despite reports that Abrams isn’t committed to that date.

A Yoda movie and a Mace Windu one Seven Samurai style I am game. Glad Frank Oz and Samuel Jackson want to come back too.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Am I the only one who thinks they are horribly over-saturating the brand by making all of these movies so quickly? Unless they plan to wait a year between releases, I'm not so sure having multiple Star Wars films coming out every year is a good thing.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Am I the only one who thinks they are horribly over-saturating the brand by making all of these movies so quickly? Unless they plan to wait a year between releases, I'm not so sure having multiple Star Wars films coming out every year is a good thing.

I was thinking the same thing unless they focus on a character from the Original trilogy to help push the new Trilogy so we can kind of bridge the gap with who is in them.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I was thinking the same thing unless they focus on a character from the Original trilogy to help push the new Trilogy so we can kind of bridge the gap with who is in them.
They'll probably release at least one movie like that, which is fine. I guess I can't complain too much about multiple new Star Wars films...unless they make a Padme movie where she has a slumber party. Then I will kill.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
They'll probably release at least one movie like that, which is fine. I guess I can't complain too much about multiple new Star Wars films...unless they make a Padme movie where she has a slumber party. Then I will kill.

What if its a Padme slumber party with them all naked and trying things out on each other? I would watch it multiple times she definitely needed someones help to put all that makeup on.

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
They are making one about Jar Jar and the Ewoks fucking

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I actually wouldn't mind one where Jar Jar fucks Ewoks, but I'm a bit mental. Also, how about an entire movie devoted to the scene where Leia is stripped and then dressed in the bikini? Carrie Fisher can reprise the role and they'll hand out free Boba Fett barf bags for everyone who watches it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
In a recent interview with Entertainment Tonight, Mark Hamill spoke at length regarding his involvement with Star Wars: Episode VII. Yesterday, Showbiz 411 reported that Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford were all set to return, although an earlier report said a deal with Ford wouldn’t be closed for weeks or possibly months. In this case, it’s best to go straight to the source, and Hamill confirmed his earlier comments that George Lucas wanted to know if they were interested, and that the filmmakers have been talking to them. Lucas also told Hamill that if they didn’t want to do the sequels, “they wouldn’t cast another actor in our parts; they would write us out.†And on that day, George Lucas finally did something right again. Hamill went on to say, “I can tell you right away that we haven’t signed any contracts. We’re in the stage where they want us to go in and meet with Michael Arndt, who is the writer, and Kathleen Kennedy, who is going to run Lucasfilm.†Hamill added “Both have had meetings set that were postponed — on their end, not mine. They’re more busy than I am.â€

Hit the jump for much more including what Hamill assumes will happen with the characters, other actors he’d like to see return, and the visual style of the sequels.

Speaking to Entertainment Tonight [via CS], Hamill strongly hinted at how Luke will be depicted in the sequel:

“I’m assuming—because I haven’t talked to the writers—that these movies would be about our offspring, like my character would be sort of in the Obi-wan range [as] an influential character. When I found out [while making the original trilogy] that ultimate good news/bad news joke the good news is there’s a real attractive, hot girl in the universe; the bad news is she’s your sister. I thought, ‘Well, I’m going to wind up like Sir Alec [Guinness]. I’m going to be a lonely old hermit living out in some kind of desert igloo with a couple of robots.’â€

Of course, Obi-wan was in a self-imposed exile, but since the Empire was defeated at the end of Return of the Jedi, I don’t see why Luke would have to live out in a desert igloo with droids.

However, it sounds like Hamill would prefer if the new movies wouldn’t be quite so dark:

“I said to George that I wanted to go back to the way it was, in the sense that ours was much more carefree and lighthearted and humorous, in my opinion, anyway….hope they find the right balance of CGI with practical effects. I love props, I love models, miniatures, matte paintings — I’m sort of old school. I think if you go too far in the direction of CGI it winds up looking like just a giant a video game, and that’s unfortunate. If they listen to me at all, it’ll be, ‘Lighten up and go retro with the way it looks.’â€

I think plenty of fans agree with Hamill, but that approach seems unlikely since the demands of what moviegoers want in terms of spectacle can only be served with massive amounts of CGI even though the original trilogy holds up perfectly fine. Hopefully, they find the “right balance of CGI and practical effects†rather than the green-screen heavy world of the prequels.

Hamill would also prefer some throwbacks in terms of bringing back more than Luke, Leia, and Han Solo:

“Another thing I’d want to make sure of is are we going to have the whole gang back? Is Carrie and Harrison and Billy Dee [Lando Calrissian] and Tony Daniels [C-3PO], everybody that’s around from the original [returning]? I want to make sure that everybody’s on board here, rather than just one.â€

That’s a very thoughtful sentiment, although I think once you get past Luke, Leia, and Han Solo, it may be tougher to bring back outside characters in terms of where they would fit into the story. Perhaps past the point of Luke, Leia, and Han, you have old supporting characters reduced to cameos in order to make way for the new characters.

Michael Arndt is working on the pic’s screenplay as we speak, and once Star Trek Into Darkness opens in May, Abrams will be able to devote his full attention to Star Wars for the next 2-3 years. As such, we should be hearing some more solid information regarding Star Warslater this summer.

I want the old group back but only in enough shots to let us see them not as main characters except for Luke as I am expecting him to be the mentor in at least the first one. Solo is too old to do much but wouldn't mind seeing the Falcon again. Fischer does not look anything like she did back then so we will see.

Krisis

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
kofi
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
rtruth
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
sheltonbenjamin
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
It'll be interesting to see how long after the original movies the new ones take place. The Yuuzhan Vong would be pretty cool to see.