Star Wars Movies/TV Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
If there are any doubts as to whether or not Carrie Fisher will return as Leia in Star Wars: Episode VII, those can be put to rest because Fisher has confirmed her involvement.

Fisher answered with a simple "yes" when she was asked by the Palm Beach Illustrated (via Joblo) on whether or not she'll be reprising her role as Princess Leia in the new movie.

As to what Fisher thinks the Princess will be like today, she said the following:

"Elderly. She's in an intergalactic old folks' home [laughs]. I just think she would be just like she was before, only slower and less inclined to be up for the big battle."

We wouldn't want it any other way.

With Fisher confirmed, it's only a matter of time until Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford step forward to announce their involvement. Billy Dee and Tony Daniels? There's a very good chance they'll return as well.

Star Wars: Episode VII is tentatively schedule to arrive in theaters sometime in 2015, but may slip to 2016. J.J. Abrams is directing from a script by Michael Arndt.

Still hope its a passing of the torch role for the 3 of them. Wouldnt mind Luke being in all three like Obi Wan was for him.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
This story is partly information that fans either already knew, or could partly figure out based on speculation, but it's still freakin' Star Wars news, and is therefore the top story of the week. This was the week of the annual CinemaCon convention in Las Vegas for movie theater companies, where the studios show off their upcoming movies. At CinemaCon, Disney made the big announcement that not only is Star Wars: Episode VII still on track for a summer 2015 release, but that there will be a new Star Wars movie every summer after that as well. The trilogy movies will be released on odd years (2015, 2017 and 2019), and the character-focused "standalone" films will be released in the intervening even year summers (2016, 2018, and 2020). We don't yet know for sure which characters will be getting their own movies, and when, but the current rumors suggest the first three might focus on Boba Fett, the young Han Solo, and Yoda.

A new Star Wars movie every year. I am so there. This just made my day and I had a great feeling in the force.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Ewok defenders unite!

Okay, so that rallying cry is likely to produce only a tiny crowd, but can we stop with the all-out bashfest on Return of the Jedi? The movie has plenty of flaws, aside from the invention of the “chopped-in-half wookies” (wook-ie; ie-wook; ewok): the sudden infatuation with the burp-joke, the ignominious end to interstellar bad-ass bounty hunter Boba Fett (means nothing – he’s coming back in Episode Seven); the ick factor in learning Leia tongue-swabbed her brother’s molars one movie prior; and the pointless revisions George Lucas made with the Special Editions just to pump the arrival of then-coming Episodes 1-3.

The Empire Strikes Back raised the bar so incredibly high for the series in 1980 that not only could Lucasfilm never surpass it, neither could most franchises working alongside it. It announced that the follow-up film could not only get better, go deeper, and be more fulfilling than the first, but it also said that the audience was ready for true cliffhanger endings and self-contained closure was not a vital part of a “trilogy.” Putting aside that the original Star Wars was not designed to be a part of a trilogy in the first place, The Empire Strikes Back was built with a future in mind.

Return of the Jedi was built with a money-making machine in mind, partially. Star Wars geegaws and licensing rewrote the value of merchandising, and as much as people want to believe the Lucas Empire was built on the value of his films, it was really built on the stuff. You just had to have all of it, from every action figure (from the butt-faced Walrusman to the robots that appeared a half-second somewhere behind one hundred Stormtroopers) to drinking glass premiums from Burger King, to the damned Christmas Album.

lightsaberBut even as a process of asset management, there are things in Return of the Jedi that make the trip worthwhile: the fight on the sand skiff over the Sarlaac Pit, the speeder bike chase, Leia shoots to kill, Lando comes into his own as a reliable scoundrel, and even with that layer of Mark Hamill’s overacting there is something very satisfying about his final duel with Darth Vader (the dark father, as it were) and Vader’s ultimate betrayal of his master The Emperor — these are things of high adventure and, while not up to the level of Empire which canonized the series as mythology, the film made for an entertaining night out at the movies.

I assure you that at least at the viewing I went to, opening night in 1983, nobody was complaining when they were leaving the theater. I am the unfortunate bearer of the term “a much simpler time,” because of several reasons and maybe some of them influenced our overall reception of the film. First is last, meaning we all believed this was the last Star Wars movie and darn few of us had seen before the kinds of things Industrial Light and Magic was showing us, so we were already primed to appreciate what we got. Most movie theaters hadn’t converted to the Multiplex format yet, so the screen was huge, the audience was huge, and the event felt momentous; not “just another movie weekend.” Home video was in its infancy. You could see movies on VHS videotape but they were expensive to buy — starting at $80 and moving upward — so even rentals meant you weren’t subjected to overexposure. Return of the Jedi is a movie of its time among movies that seemed to transcend time, so of course it is bound to feel slight.

SWSpeederBikeBut I contend that it still has something over most of the movies that appeared throughout the 2000s thus far. It has plenty of dark elements but is not necessarily a dark film. Even in the bowels of Jabba’s Rancor cage, or under the thrall of a demonic, lightning-wielding overlord, or even when a fallen Ewok, charred and smoking, is mourned by his own, there is an overall spirit to the film that is missing in modern cinema, even in most of the comedies. Return of the Jedi has the almost cartoonish belief that, no, we’re not going to die. We’re going to survive, win, and things will get better. For as much admiration as I have for Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy, for finally making a series of superhero movies based in a relatively plausible scenario, Nolan’s Gotham City is incurable. It’s citizenry is screwed. There will always need to be a Batman because, no matter how much better it may get, it will never get good enough that an avenging guardian angel won’t be required. In the best, first X-Men movies Magneto and Professor X make that constant cycle not the subtext but the wax stamp of the series — Magneto says he will never stop what he’s doing. The Prof. counters that he will always be there to counter those efforts, and so the battle seems forever joined. Even though Bryan Singer’s two films are the best of them so far, that premise is a stone-faced bummer.

ewokBefore we were posed with the thought that, no, franchises go on and to facilitate that the war must go on too, Return of the Jedi felt like universal peace achieved. Laser fire, though apparently as deadly as bullets, is a sanitary kill. We don’t view a smoking burst on a uniform the way we view the gory gristle of gunfire in today’s films. That is probably for the best because gunfire should not be sanitized. It should not be an actor clutching his unbloodied chest, saying, “Egad, I’ve been shot,” and then slumping to the ground. That kind of portrayal in this time would be irresponsible, and that is another reason why Return of the Jedi is better, I feel, than most allow. It is violent. If you had to tally a body count, you’d likely be appalled, but the results are appropriate to the surroundings, being a larger-than-life space opera. The biggest curse of the 1-3 Star Wars Trilogy is not for all our most obvious claims, but that they came out in a time when we had to provide a parallel that was so much harsher than the parallel required of Episodes 4-6.

So I say to those that would complain about the childishness of RotJ, consider yourself fortunate that you have the choice to not watch it, but if you did watch you could probably lose yourself pretty thoroughly in it, provided that you allowed yourself to. It is a cultural curio, innocence cloaked in the backdrop of wartime that we could never approximate today with the same brush of naiveté. Plus, the byoow-byoww-ptchoo of neon-colored laser lights is still way cool.

RETURN OF THE JEDI is 30 years old this year. Yeah. All Fanboys unite.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Here's something you don't see very often. The Walt Disney Company suffered a major bomb over the weekend, opening The Lone Ranger to a pitiful $48 million 5-day box office, forcing the studio to lose an anticipated $150 million on the big-budget Western. But if you're a Disney stockholder, things are still looking up. According to Variety the studio's stock is up 1.3%. Why? You probably already know the answer: Star Wars.

OK, partial credit goes to Monsters University and Iron Man 3, two huge hits that help soften the blow of The Lone Ranger's failure. But Credit Suisse analyst Michael Senno estimates that Disney will make $733 million in profit-- that's $1.2 billion in global ticket sales-- from Star Wars Episode VII, which means that the company still ought to remain a solid investment. He didn't pull that number out from thin air, of course-- the final Star Wars prequel, Revenge of the Sith, made $850 million worldwide, and of course Disney's last giant hit The Avengers was a huge global success, making $1.5 billion. If anything, $1.2 billion for Star Wars Episode VII might be lowballing it.

As for the rest of Disney's year, I wouldn't start worrying about them just yet. They've got the kid-friendly Cars spinoff Planes coming in August-- a cheap direct-to-DVD film given a last-minute theatrical release, which means the profit margin could be high. After that there's Thor: The Dark World, which will be strutting its stuff at Comic-Con next week, the lavish animated effort Frozen, and then the prestige Oscar-season effort Saving Mr. Banks, starring Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson.

Star Wars Episode VII isn't set for release until 2015, and maybe even later than that depending on how J.J. Abrams plans it, so obviously that's a long time to wait for investors to get their return. But the potential of a new, good movie in the Star Wars universe has clearly captured imaginations everywhere, not just in this feverish blog world where we all live. What we know for sure about Star Wars Episode VII right now is pretty much nothing, beyond Abrams as director, Michael Arndt as producer and Kathleen Kennedy as the new overseer of Lucasfilm. But speculation has led us pretty much everywhere, from the near-certain return of Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford to casting notices for a bunch of teenagers to take over the lead role. We'll be paying nonstop attention to Episode VII between now and whenever it opens... why should the stock market be any different?

So they are projecting big numbers despite the movie not being released in almost a year. I can see them turning that big of a number in if the films are no where near as bad as the prequels.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
The release date for Episode VII has been officially announced....

Flickering Myth said:
Last week it was reported that Disney had rejected a request from Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy to push the release date for J.J. Abrams Star Wars: Episode VII back to 2016, and now it's been confirmed that the eagerly-anticipated first chapter of Disney's Sequel Trilogy will arrive in 2015, with StarWars.com site revealing a December 18th, 2015 date. Here's the official press release....

With pre-production in full-swing, a confirmed release date of December 18, 2015, has been set for Lucasfilm's highly anticipated Star Wars: Episode VII.

"We're very excited to share the official 2015 release date for Star Wars: Episode VII, where it will not only anchor the popular holiday filmgoing season but also ensure our extraordinary filmmaking team has the time needed to deliver a sensational picture," said Alan Horn, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios.

Star Wars: Episode VII will be directed by J.J. Abrams (Super 8, Mission: Impossible III, Star Trek) and is being scripted by Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan (Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi). Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, with Tommy Harper (Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Jack Ryan, Star Trek Into Darkness) and Jason McGatlin (Tintin, War of the Worlds) serving as executive producers. John Williams is returning to score Star Wars: Episode VII.

Shooting is scheduled to begin spring 2014 at Pinewood Studios.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
They're actually holding open auditions not far from me for two roles, a "street smart girl in her late teens" and "smart capable man" in his late teens/early 20's.

Considered going for a laugh until I heard about the queues :lol:

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Here's a hefty dollop of Star Wars movie news and rumours, from a Boba Fett spin-off movie to a newly unified universe and more...

A universe once separated along two disparate lines - that of George Lucas' film ideas and the ones present in the Expanded Universe - is about to be unified. That's according to Leland Chee, who's part of the Lucasfilm Story Group, a team set up to oversee the interweaving narratives we'll see over the next few years.

"[The] Story Group has a hand in all facets of Star Wars storytelling, including movies, TV, games and publishing," Chee wrote in a series of recent posts on Twitter. "More so than ever, the canon field will serve us internally simply for classification rather than setting hierarchy."

Further, Chee stated that, in its new home at Disney, the Star Wars universe would form one coherent whole - meaning that he and his team of story builders are now free to take ideas, characters and stories from the Expanded Universe of books, comics and games and fold them in to what will become Star Wars: Episode VII and its potentially huge range of spin-offs, sequels and other media exploits.

It's a logical enough move, yet one which could have fascinating and far-reaching effects on the Star Wars saga in the years to come. The news comes shortly after the announcement that, as of 2015, Marvel will be publishing all future Star Wars comic books - which will no doubt make it even easier to retain a sense of coherence in the franchise's universe with all the media under one banner.

Elsewhere, there was apparent confirmation of two longstanding rumours: at some point after next year's Star Wars Episode VII, we'll get two spin-off movies based on a pair of the franchise's most beloved characters, Han Solo and Boba Fett.

According to Entertainment Weekly's anonymous sources, the Boba Fett movie could take place between the events of A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, while Han Solo's story would, understandably, be about the character's younger days before the rebellion, with a younger actor taking over from Harrison Ford.

In an interview with AMC Movie Talk, film director Jon Schnepp claimed to know who was writing the Han Solo movie's script - none other than Lawrence Kasdan, the writer of The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi.

"I will never reveal my source, Kasdan said, "but it is the one written by Lawrence Kasdan.â€￾

To add further to the stew of reports and rumours, Aint It Cool News has waded in with the suggestion that not only are there plans of a Yoda standalone movie, but that it could even be the first of the post-Episode VII spin-offs.

Then the story goes on to float the possibility of a movie based entirely on Jabba the Hutt, and the need to take everything with a hefty pinch of salt really begins to kick in.

Whether we'll see a Hutt film in the next few years or not, Disney clearly have big plans in mind for the Star Wars franchise. According to the fan site MiceChat, Disney's quietly revamping Disneyland's Tomorrowland in time for next year's release of Episode VII.

The story goes that Tomorrowland's designers have been given inside information about Episode VII's story, and that they're working on adding Star Wars-themed stuff to the attraction, including recreations of the Millennium Falcon and Cantina:

"The original plan for Disneyland's Tomorrowland relied heavily on characters and plot points from the first three Star Wars films, with attractions like a Millenium [sic] Falcon walk-thru on the old PeopleMover platform, a wild Tatooine cantina replacing Tomorrowland Terrace, and a speeder bike ride through an Ewok village where Autopia currently sits."

It's all intriguing stuff, and the potential for a huge network of interlocking Star Wars films is clearly there. Exactly what happens to the movie universe next is, of course, heavily dependent on how Star Wars Episode VII turns out. No pressure, JJ Abrams.

Best news of the day that I have seen. A Boba Fett flick which can be tied into the Han Solo one at some point. So many possibilities.

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Fuji must be so pumped for the Fett flick

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Fuji must be so pumped for the Fett flick
If by "pumped" you mean "repeatedly bashing my head against the wall" then yes, I'm FUCKING PUMPED!!!

In all honesty though, I can't fault them for doing this. They should clean up with all those fans of the Fett out there. I'm clearly in the minority with my hatred of that butt pirate.

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
the Han Solo could rule just as long as they don't Hayden Christianson up the casting

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Star Wars fans may want to sit down for this one. While J.J. Abrams has now been onboard to direct Star Wars: Episode VII for nearly a year, solid news with regards to the pic has been very, very hard to come by. As the film’s production start date looms closer, we all knew this was about to change, and last night we learned that Friday Night Lights actor Jesse Plemons is being eyed for a role in the pic. Now THR has dumped a huge quantity of info about the follow-up, including word that Michael Fassbender, Hugo Weaving, and Adam Driver are all being eyed for roles. More interestingly, though, the script for Episode VII has apparently changed significantly since screenwriter Michael Arndt was pushed off the project, and the lead characters for Episode VII may now be the original trilogy stars: Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford.

Hit the jump for the Star Wars: Episode VII motherload.

star-wars-episode-7-harrison-ford-carrie-fisherFirst thing’s first: according to THR, the script for Star Wars: Episode VII has been significantly reworked since Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan took over screenwriting duties last fall. The official reason given for the screenwriter change was that the Episode VII crew was facing an impending deadline with the film’s December 2015 release date, but THR says the actual reason for the shift was a difference in opinion over which characters to emphasize.

Arndt apparently felt that the main characters of Star Wars: Episode VII should be the offspring of Luke Skywalker (Hamill), Han Solo (Ford), and Princess Leia (Fisher), with the original Star Wars actors taking supporting roles in the story. Abrams felt differently, as he was eager to focus Episode VII on Luke, Han, and Leia “so audiences could have one more chance to enjoy them before a fitting send-off.†George Lucas was also involved in the debate (Arndt wrote the treatment for Lucas before Lucasfilm was sold to Disney), but he deferred to Abrams and producer Kathleen Kennedy, and with Arndt now completely off the project, the lead characters of Episode VII will indeed be Luke, Han, and Leia while their offspring will take on supporting roles. The plan now is to have the younger characters take over as the leads in Episode VIII and Episode IX.

This is a significant shift from the previous iteration of the project, and some characters from Arndt’s draft no longer appear in Episode VII while new ones are being created. For example, Abrams was eyeing Tye Sheridan (Mud) for a role last year, but the actor is no longer being considered because such a young actor is no longer needed. Additionally, many of the actors that were rumored or auditioned last year have now been nixed, so there’s no telling whether Michael B. Jordan, Alex Pettyfer, or Jack O’Connell remain viable candidates.

michael-fassbender-star-wars-7So who is in the mix for Episode VII? THR confirms that Jesse Plemons is on a list of actors that will be speaking with Abrams this week, but he is joined on that list by a number of other names. The report notes that Michael Fassbender met with Abrams about a role in December, and Girls star Adam Driver is also being eyed for a role. Additionally, The Matrix star Hugo Weaving met with Abrams to discuss playing an Imperial commander, and producers are also searching for a 20-something female actress who is either of mixed race or black to play either the daughter or granddaughter of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Personally, I’d rather see a story that focused more on new characters and less on the aging Luke, Han, and Leia, but at the end of the day this is Abrams’ film and if he doesn’t feel comfortable with the story, then the end result will be compromised. Here’s hoping he and Kasdan have found an organic way to have the original characters lead Episode VII.

This is definitely a lot of information to take in at one time, and it’s important to keep in mind that plenty can change between now and when filming begins—just look how much change the project went through over the past few months. However, filming does have to begin by this summer, so expect to hear plenty more about the project in the coming weeks. Star Wars: Episode VII opens in 3D on December 18, 2015.

Not sure how well Hamill, Fisher and Ford will do at their ages leading this but the addition of Weaving is a great one in fact I like all of the additions. The only way I see this happening as them being the leads in this is that they see things that need done and get hurt or killed by the Sith ala Obi Wan in Episode IV.

Krisis

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
kofi
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
rtruth
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
sheltonbenjamin
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
I'm mostly curious on what they plan to make cannon or not.

I'm pretty sure they are gonna retcon Chewie's death though.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Give the originals a fitting send off? Was episode 6 not good enough?

Krisis

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
kofi
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
rtruth
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
sheltonbenjamin
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Give the originals a fitting send off? Was episode 6 not good enough?

I bet they're hoping to win back some fans that jumped ship because of the prequels.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk