Pop/Country Music Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kairi

Reaction score
Before there was a GaGa came a Britney.
Joining Madonna and Janet to become as synonymous with ‘epic’ music videos as Prince was with interchangeable lead singers in the 80s.
An icon of an era where the premiere of a music video was just as anticipated as a sell out tour, Britney Spears was undeniably as integral to MTV’s success as it was to hers.
However, recent years have seen the ‘Toxic‘ entertainer unable to live up to both the creative and commercial highs that made her the icon many agree that she is today.
So we want to know….
Is Britney Spears really worthy of an MTV Tribute?

More below…

Putting what happened in 2007 aside, the last few years have seen Britney Spears go from being her only real competition to having to fall in commercial and critical rank with the likes of Katy Perry, Rihanna and Ke$ha.
Her sound no longer groundbreakingly Pop forward (most likely attributed to the fact that her executive producers also work for every other Pop tart craving chart glory), she is no longer the Music Video Empress.
That role has now been snatched by one of Spear’s former writers.
Lady GaGa.
Who now seems to have put aside any issues she had with Ms Spears after aiming several indirect comments at the mother of two for her habitual lip syncing, another criticism anyone against her MTV tribute may use to defend their point.

Now heavily anticipated, the VMA’s have always known how to draw in viewers and it is worth wondering if their honouring of Britney is really motivated by its appreciation for her work, or for the benefit of ratings.

Kairi

Reaction score
Hot Shots: Leona Lewis Debuts Hair ‘Do

Leona Lewis may have been out of the limelight for a minute, but that hasn’t stopped her from experimenting with her image.
For after unveiling a bold new look earlier this year, the ‘Bleeding Love’ singer decided to make another change this week – debuting a new shorter do.
A length of hair or lack-thereof aren’t the only headlines the Londoner has been making as of late. ‘Collide’, her new single, has resulted her label being taken to court for plagiarism. Worse still, a video shot has been shot; yet, in light of the on-going legal drama, and slow radio play, prospects aren’t great. Perhaps, back to the drawing board? Based on the comments of TGJ’s readers, it seems the masses agree.

Kairi

Reaction score
Lady GaGa Tweets Shot From ‘You & I’ Visual

Now one of her most anticipated videos to date, the première of Lady GaGa’s ‘You & I‘ is expected to come in no more than a few weeks time.
In support of the visual, the entertainer tweeted an image from one scene in the video on the social networking site Twitter, which succeeded in exciting her ever loyal ‘Monsters’.

Your thoughts?

Kairi

Reaction score
Heralded as two pioneers at the forefront Brit Pop’s re- emergence in the United States, Adele and Amy Winehouse have always seemed to come hand in hand in Pop debate and if this weeks Official UK Album Chart is anything to go by, that will not be changing at anytime soon.

Find out where both women charted this week below…

At #1 with ’Back To Black’ is Winehouse after 166 weeks on the chart and less than one month after the performer’s untimely passing.
One spot below her is Adele with ‘21‘ which continues to shift impressive units in all markets despite debuting domestically more than 7 months ago.
In at #3 is Jay Z and Kanye West’s ‘Watch The Throne‘ which debuts one place above Winehouse’s debut album ‘Frank’ which like its follow up is also experiencing a sales boost.
19‘ by Adele is #5 and close behind it at #6 is none other than Beyonce with her latest effort ‘4‘.
Elsewhere on the chart, Lady GaGa’s ‘Born This Way‘ and Jessie J’s ‘Who You Are‘ sit respectively at #9 and #10 whilst Rihanna’s ‘Loud’ holds court at this weeks #14 position, one place below Chris Brown’s ‘FAME’.

Katy Perry’s ‘Teenage Dream’ slips down 4 places from #13 last week to #17 this week, three places above ‘Pink Friday’ , the debut outing by Rapper Nicki Minaj.
Source.

Kairi

Reaction score
LOS ANGELES – Music and TV mogul Simon Cowell said Thursday he would love to get his hands on Pippa Middleton -- to make her a star.

Cowell, a former "American Idol" judge and current judge on "The X Factor," said if the sister of the Duchess of Cambridge wanted his help he would not hesitate.
"I haven't heard her sing, but if she walked in and said, 'I want to be a TV star,' I would sign her on the spot," he told Life & Style magazine.

"She has the X factor. To overshadow your sister when she's the one getting married? That was impressive."

Middleton, 27, shot to fame after capturing the world's attention when she appeared at her sister Catherine's wedding to Prince William as maid of honor in a figure-hugging white dress designed by Sarah Burton.

A Facebook page called the Pippa Middleton Ass Appreciation Society was set up shortly after she turned heads at the May wedding and her enviable figure, dating life and fashion style has continued to be fodder for gossip and entertainment websites and magazines since.

Kairi

Reaction score
Hot Shot: Sugababes Reveal ‘Freedom’ Single Cover

Peep the official cover for the Sugababes’ latest single ‘Freedom’, the video for which premiered last week.
Clearly the bi-product of many a Photoshop brush, the cover does go someway to solidify this line-up’s new ‘edgy’ image. Whether it’ll be enough to take them to the top of the charts will be interesting to see.

Kairi

Reaction score
More details have emerged about the MTV's VMA tribute to Britney Spears, and there's an all-star lineup performing her hits: Selena Gomez will do "…Baby One More Time," Katy Perry will perform "Oops…I Did It Again," Janet Jackson "I'm A Slave 4 U," Demi Lovato "Toxic," Ke$ha and Nicki Minaj "Gimme More," Lady Gaga "Circus" and Britney herself will finish the thing off with "Hold It Against Me" and "I Wanna Go."

Kairi

Reaction score
Hot Shot: Sugababes Sex It Up For ‘Loaded’

The latest line-up of the Sugababes continue to up the edgy in this striking new shot for Loaded’s September issue.

With the ladies new single being titled ‘Freedom’, it appears Amelle and co were keen to liberate themselves from their clothes for the racy shoot. Whether it’ll pay off when the the song hits iTunes next month will be uber interesting to see.
Your thoughts?