Finn Balor is overrated

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Awewwwwww shit!! Well it looks like someone's gonna have to go back and get a shit load of dimes!!!

Reactions: Wacokid27

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
Overrated is such a colloquial term that its lost all meaning.

There's really no such thing as overrated provided you alter your perspective a bit.

If I were a woman, I might find Adam Levine attractive. Since I'm not i'd have to step into her shoes, first, to notice his qualities.

Perception is subjective, no different than watching a boxing match from only one angle. Unless one is ominous and all perceiving, than the process of rating is largely mute.

Social conditioning, personal preference and environment each amount to soft evidence and are poor metrics.

Hard evidence such as attendance, merch, ratings and physical skill make for solid metrics.

"Buy or Sell" is a highly effective methodology for determining subjective value in my opinion.

Dat Kid1

King of smurf Style
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Cool entrance. Decent matches. Decent talker.

I would him on par with Roman Reigns in terms of yeah he's okay but you could probably use someone better for that spot.

Ovaldinho

Reaction score

There's really no such thing as overrated provided you alter your perspective a bit.

If I were a woman, I might find Adam Levine attractive. Since I'm not i'd have to step into her shoes, first, to notice his qualities.

Perception is subjective, no different than watching a boxing match from only one angle. Unless one is ominous and all perceiving, than the process of rating is largely mute.

Social conditioning, personal preference and environment each amount to soft evidence and are poor metrics.

Hard evidence such as attendance, merch, ratings and physical skill make for solid metrics.

"Buy or Sell" is a highly effective methodology for determining subjective value in my opinion.
The thread is about Finn Balor being supposedly overrated, not your college thesis on the meaning of the word overrated

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
Cool entrance. Decent matches. Decent talker.

I would him on par with Roman Reigns in terms of yeah he's okay but you could probably use someone better for that spot.

Love the "put him on par with Roman". That'll get some hate. :trump4:

Seriously, though, I can agree that he and Roman are similar in that, if they're booked right, they can both be excellent in major roles (and just, everybody, stop before "anybody can be, with excellent booking"....we all know that's not true). They both have some metrics in which they measure highly and, in both cases, have a charisma that reaches out to segments of the fanbase but also struggles to reach everybody (honestly, I do give Balor an edge here...and it's all down to the public suspension and failed drug test).

But, I also struggle with people judging wrestlers by saying things like, "He's not as good as Austin/Rock/Hogan/Flair....heck, even Rollins or HHH". Those guys (particularly Austin, Rock, Hogan, and Flair) are not the type of guy that comes along every day. The reason those guys are/were so important to the business is because not everybody is at that level (some will say HHH was, but there's a lot of disagreement; some say Rollins is, but I can't put Rollins there yet...he's on the path, but I just can't do it yet). Balor (and Reigns, for that matter) can still have an amazing career in WWE. But, he has to be given some time to actually show what he can do on this stage.

wk

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Favorite Wrestler
wAjEdMB
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero2
In terms of pure talent, this is the greatest WWE roster in history and if not then the second greatest compared to the 2003 roster, no other roster has had the same level of star quality and potential. It's why you have guys just floating about in the midcard with nothing to do except house shows and why they had to resort to this brand split.

Thanks to Vince's manic indy signing spree of the past few years, If we include the NXT roster then this is the amount of wrestlers who could be considered main event material:

AJ Styles, Alberto Del Rio, Austin Aries, Baron Corbin, Bobby Roode, Bray Wyatt, Brock Lesnar, Cesaro, Chris Jericho, Dean Ambrose, Dolph Ziggler, Finn Balor, John Cena, Kalisto, Kevin Owens, Luke Harper, Neville, Randy Orton, Roman Reigns, Rusev, Sami Zayn, Samoa Joe, Seth Rollins, Sheamus, Shinsuke Nakamura, The Miz.

That's 27 people, that is ridiculous for any company.

The point is, Finn Balor isn't overrated he just comes up short when compared to others and in the age where wrestlers have never been more confident on the microphone, it's easier to weed out the weaker links. Rollins is a great promo in my opinion but even he is heavily criticized due the fact that people compare him to the likes of KO, Ambrose and Jericho which really isn't fair when he's still cutting killer promos here and there.

Finn Balor isn't overrated and he is main event material. A great worker and an average promo with a soon to be extremely over gimmick. The only problem is, half the roster is like that too.

2016 is a tough year for anyone to shine in the WWE.

Dat Kid1

King of smurf Style
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Love the "put him on par with Roman". That'll get some hate. :trump4:

Seriously, though, I can agree that he and Roman are similar in that, if they're booked right, they can both be excellent in major roles (and just, everybody, stop before "anybody can be, with excellent booking"....we all know that's not true). They both have some metrics in which they measure highly and, in both cases, have a charisma that reaches out to segments of the fanbase but also struggles to reach everybody (honestly, I do give Balor an edge here...and it's all down to the public suspension and failed drug test).

But, I also struggle with people judging wrestlers by saying things like, "He's not as good as Austin/Rock/Hogan/Flair....heck, even Rollins or HHH". Those guys (particularly Austin, Rock, Hogan, and Flair) are not the type of guy that comes along every day. The reason those guys are/were so important to the business is because not everybody is at that level (some will say HHH was, but there's a lot of disagreement; some say Rollins is, but I can't put Rollins there yet...he's on the path, but I just can't do it yet). Balor (and Reigns, for that matter) can still have an amazing career in WWE. But, he has to be given some time to actually show what he can do on this stage.

wk
He is on par with Roman. Reigns has had some pretty good matches. I mean he sucked ass at mania, but when he's working with someone who isnt as worn down as Triple H he does a pretty good job.

Balor has been in in WWE for about a year and some change, as a champion for the majority of it and I've honestly seen better stuff from Reigns than Balor if we're comparing the two. I dont expect the two to be as great as the guys you mentioned, but there are certainly people there right now who can be those guys right now, rather than giving the spot to people who need more time to develop Reigns/Balor. Let Reigns and Balor come in later once they figure out how to really be as good as they can. They both have something cool about them, but to say they're top guys or even put them in position to be top guys is meh.

Fuzion

The Artiste
Reaction score

What does this have to do with Finn Balor?

Fuzion

The Artiste
Reaction score
A lot of you like Balor, I understand good for you, to me he's nothing really special and the fact that he got a shot at the main title for RAW which is equivalent to the WWE World heavyweight Championship on his debut when guys like Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens, Cesaro who have been on the main roster for a long time and still haven't even got a shot at a big title and this guy that everyone seems to be so fucking hyped about and literally just fucking came to the roster gets it and goes over against Roman who beat fucking Triple H, THE game at Mania for the title

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
He is on par with Roman. Reigns has had some pretty good matches. I mean he sucked ass at mania, but when he's working with someone who isnt as worn down as Triple H he does a pretty good job.

Balor has been in in WWE for about a year and some change, as a champion for the majority of it and I've honestly seen better stuff from Reigns than Balor if we're comparing the two. I dont expect the two to be as great as the guys you mentioned, but there are certainly people there right now who can be those guys right now, rather than giving the spot to people who need more time to develop Reigns/Balor. Let Reigns and Balor come in later once they figure out how to really be as good as they can. They both have something cool about them, but to say they're top guys or even put them in position to be top guys is meh.
How could anyone say that his match with Triple H was ass? It was old-school pro wrestling storytelling at it's best. I enjoyed it a lot more than I enjoyed most of the matches, on the show.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
How could anyone say that his match with Triple H was ass? It was old-school pro wrestling storytelling at it's best. I enjoyed it a lot more than I enjoyed most of the matches, on the show.
It was one of a handful of matches I've bothered watching this year and I agree 100%. It was old school story telling and its finest. I loved the match. But then again a lot of people shit on HHH's ring work in general when I find him fantastic.

Rogue

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Compared to Trips v Ambrose, it wasn't on the same level. But both did good, especially Roman.