Finn Balor is overrated

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I'm not a Balor fan at all, either, but he's a guy pre/packaged so who women/children/newer fans can easily like him, while most males do as well, so I get the appeal. If you like him go ahead... :)

But Fusion, it damn sure makes rooting for THE MAN to get his Universal title that much sweeter! :win:

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
And just to say it again, Kaz and Daniels to NXT please and thank you! :yay:

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
And just to say it again, Kaz and Daniels to NXT please and thank you! :yay:
Just watch them in ROH. WWE ain't stealing Daniels from Water World

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
When he got signed he came out of just starting to move into the heavyweight position in New Japan, and working with a guy by the name of Hiroshi Tanahashi. Tanahashi is legitimately one of the best in the world, and during the 2013-14 time period could produce a five star in his sleep.

Very good point. I bet there were quite a few guys who probably got signed by other organizations based off their work with Tanahashi and VERY much in that period of time too. The only guy I would rank up there with 1980's Ric Flair as really being able to make ANYONE he faces just shine.

In regards to the OP, I think any of us could look at any wrestler and say he or she is overrated. Personally I disagree that Balor is overrated. He's had what, two matches on the main roster after a dominant couple of years in NXT and a stellar Japanese career which was definitely elevated by Hiroshi Tanahashi. I would definitely wait to see if WWE is really going to push him on the main roster and to what extent before I really rate his WWE career. Just as many people have come up from NXT to have immediate success and then to have it crash around them. We really don't know what will happen with Balor yet.

In regards to the Shield being the future... seems to me like they're the present actually.

Reactions: Prince Bálor

Fuzion

The Artiste
Reaction score
If only Finn was on SmackDown so Cena could pin him in a squash match and send that makeup wearing goof back to NXT and job to a couple guys and end up being released. Seth>Finn Owens>Finn Cena>Finn Colin Delaney>Finn. I'm kidding, but in all seriousness, there is so much new talent in the WWE and everyone seems to be going crazy over Balor and I just simply think that he is nothing special, talented: yes, good wrestler: yes, good on the mic: meh not really lol. The fact that he got put in a title match at the huge event SummerSlam on his debut on raw doesn't make sense to me. If it was up to me and I booked it, I would make Owens win the match and go on to face Seth but in the match I would also make Finn look strong in the match to make sure his fan boys don't get upset. If Balor goes over at SummerSlam and becomes the first Universal Championship (Which I highly doubt will happen) then that's when I will actually hate this guy or just VINCE or whoever decided that this "DEMON" wins. I love Seth but I would not be mad if Owens went into the match and won or even Sami Zayn. Let's just hope that Seth wins and not Balor :)

Zany Clowny

AvrilWasRight,EverythingIsSoComplicated
Reaction score
Very bad on the mic. That's what will hold him back. His ringwork is phenomenal like Rollins but Rollins is at least average on the mic which is enough to make it work. Unless he gets a manager or improves on the mic he won't boost ratings and will be a be a shit champion. I don't watch WWE to see great wrestling I want characters involved in a storyline having a good match I can be invested in and I can't be invested in Balor.

Krendall

The Showoff
Reaction score
You said this in my thread that was very similar to this. Do you not know what overrated means?

I honestly like the guy. He has a good look, wrestles good matches, has a unique gimmick he uses at special shows, and he's okay, but forgettable on the mic. And I did enjoy him winning on RAW, a few weeks back because it was a surprise. Roman Reigns was being touted by both the fans and WWE as the returning hero, but instead a guy who just shows up gets the book for the Main Event of SummerSlam. And that's both sweet and sour. If Roman Reigns got the #1 Contender spot, on his first night, people would've freaked and claimed it was Vince's Roid Boner that got Reigns booked into it. But the weird part is that Finn Balor was likely rallied for that spot by Triple H's Indie Boner. It's not like he does anything different than Reigns and other top stars. As Stopspot and Pop Tatari have said, he's just as formulaic as anyone else. And in many ways is just as uncomfortable on the mic. Seth Rollins did out-speak him, but that too isn't anything to brag about. Seth Rollins has spent years portraying the cocky heel gimmick, he's obviously gonna be better than a guy who hasn't had a real gimmick and spent most of his time in promotions and markets that lack an emphasis on speaking. Anyways, he sticks to his regiment, but busts out something different-yet-forgettable depending on the specialty. So what exactly is it that allows him to be automatically pushed into the main event of the 2nd biggest show, of the year, for the biggest title introduction in 13 years with no backlash?

It's a double standard.
Yeah, it kinda is a double standard, but you basically explained the fans' lack of backlash already. After 30+ years of Vinnie Mac's "roid boner," we're getting something different by seeing smaller, more athletic wrestlers getting a push. Also, I don't think Bálor is getting much backlash from fans because I don't think many believe he'll win, but he's a fresh face that should be able to put on a great match with Seth Rollins. If Bálor DOES win, there probably will be a backlash, especially from the casual fans who never watch NXT.

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
The "*insert name here* is overrated" threads/posts make me laugh. Okay, you're not a fan of the guy. That's cool.

But, like Foxy said, he hasn't really had much of a main-roster WWE career. So, to judge him two weeks in as being a guy that WWE has set to be an unworthy champion or contender to the title seems a little short-sighted.

Okay, we can talk about his ring work. He does some great stuff. He does a lot of those things in every match. In case nobody's noticed, so does every successful pro wrestler in history. This was a hidden fact up until the 1980's and 1990's when our buddies Vince and Ted started taking pro wrestling national and we all started seeing the same wrestlers performing matches every week (in the territory days, of course, a guy/gal could work the same match every week in a different territory, so it wasn't so obvious). The reason, by the way, for formula in the ring is because they are spots that the fans like and that the workers can do consistently and safely. To challenge a worker because they're formulaic, therefore, becomes a real wall-banger of a gripe.

His mic skills are not the best. He spent the majority of his career pre-WWE in New Japan, where mic work is just not as important. Then, he goes to WWE's NXT, where he was built as a dark, silent, makeup-wearing killer (one can see an inspiration coming from Sting's "Crow" gimmick). Now, you can like or dislike the guy's style and he doesn't look completely comfortable on the mic at this point (although most wrestlers with his past and in his position haven't historically looked comfortable right away....see: Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock). (Yes, by the way, I made those two references to get people going: "Holy shit! He just compared Balor to Austin and the Rock! That bastard! RAWRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!" We wrestling fans are such an entertaining bunch.) What I did see (and this was started in the "Demon" show on the Network back when he was on the rise in NXT) was a guy who is working hard to improve on a simple, standard character that is built around his "going someplace darker" for big matches (why I wouldn't have been surprised to see him don makeup for the Raw ME). He's got a dry wit, which is subtle and doesn't always play well to the masses, and is going to have to be built around his innate charisma and charm (and, if you didn't see his NXT work, you might not realize he has those things yet). For those saying he can't cut a decent promo (or that he "sucks on the mic"), go watch the episode of NXT where he was challenged to a match by Shinsuke Nakamura. It was a short interaction, but it was solid and built tension, which is what it was supposed to do.

Either way, the entertaining part for me will be to see the same people who are burying him two weeks into his main roster career come back and obviously cheer for him (I believe the common parlance is "riding his dick") when he's accepted by the whole fan base as one of the top guys (see: Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, the New Day).

wk

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
The "*insert name here* is overrated" threads/posts make me laugh. Okay, you're not a fan of the guy. That's cool.

But, like Foxy said, he hasn't really had much of a main-roster WWE career. So, to judge him two weeks in as being a guy that WWE has set to be an unworthy champion or contender to the title seems a little short-sighted.

Okay, we can talk about his ring work. He does some great stuff. He does a lot of those things in every match. In case nobody's noticed, so does every successful pro wrestler in history. This was a hidden fact up until the 1980's and 1990's when our buddies Vince and Ted started taking pro wrestling national and we all started seeing the same wrestlers performing matches every week (in the territory days, of course, a guy/gal could work the same match every week in a different territory, so it wasn't so obvious). The reason, by the way, for formula in the ring is because they are spots that the fans like and that the workers can do consistently and safely. To challenge a worker because they're formulaic, therefore, becomes a real wall-banger of a gripe.

His mic skills are not the best. He spent the majority of his career pre-WWE in New Japan, where mic work is just not as important. Then, he goes to WWE's NXT, where he was built as a dark, silent, makeup-wearing killer (one can see an inspiration coming from Sting's "Crow" gimmick). Now, you can like or dislike the guy's style and he doesn't look completely comfortable on the mic at this point (although most wrestlers with his past and in his position haven't historically looked comfortable right away....see: Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock). (Yes, by the way, I made those two references to get people going: "Holy shit! He just compared Balor to Austin and the Rock! That bastard! RAWRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!" We wrestling fans are such an entertaining bunch.) What I did see (and this was started in the "Demon" show on the Network back when he was on the rise in NXT) was a guy who is working hard to improve on a simple, standard character that is built around his "going someplace darker" for big matches (why I wouldn't have been surprised to see him don makeup for the Raw ME). He's got a dry wit, which is subtle and doesn't always play well to the masses, and is going to have to be built around his innate charisma and charm (and, if you didn't see his NXT work, you might not realize he has those things yet). For those saying he can't cut a decent promo (or that he "sucks on the mic"), go watch the episode of NXT where he was challenged to a match by Shinsuke Nakamura. It was a short interaction, but it was solid and built tension, which is what it was supposed to do.

Either way, the entertaining part for me will be to see the same people who are burying him two weeks into his main roster career come back and obviously cheer for him (I believe the common parlance is "riding his dick") when he's accepted by the whole fan base as one of the top guys (see: Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, the New Day).

wk

I couldn't have said it better if I tried. :) Good job, fastest gun in the world.... your hand looks steady as a rock

• Haha
Reactions: Wacokid27

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
He rode a blazing saddle!!!! He wore a shiny star!!!

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
He rode a blazing saddle, he wore a shiny star!!!

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
The little bastard shot me right in the ass...

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Why aren't you naked?

I am just playing around.

You know Finn Balor is about 10 pounds bigger than I am. I am a scholar. i'm fluent in Japanese. i hold an advanced psychology degree. BUT he does his job and does it well. I really wish I could be a wrestler and put on the kind of performance he does. The man is talented, not overrated.