AWA 1989: A Financial Savior Is (Badly) Needed

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Raider Nation

Reaction score
1706820023132.png

(I am posting the six previous shows already posted on another site so you can get a feel for where we are right now. 3 AWA on ESPN. 3 All-Star Wrestling.)

AWA WRESTLING ON ESPN - SHOWBOAT SPORTS PAVILION - LAS VEGAS, NV - JULY 1990

Announcers: Joe Pedicino & Bill Dundee

Ring Announcer/Interviewer: Larry Nelson

(# Aired on a previous AWA program. Also highlighted in bold.)

(1st Taping)

Show Intro

Larry Nelson welcomed viewers and ran down the program:

TV MAIN EVENT: Bob Orton vs. Ken Patera

A look back at the controversial finish on last week's ASW in the PWH Championship match and President Nick Bockwinkel's response to it

Tina Moretti laces 'em up

Greg Gagne vs. Wayne Bloom (WTTC)

A look back at the masked mystery man costing the Trooper another match and post-match comments from the Trooper

Another pre-recorded message from the incoming Barry Windham

Badd Co. in action

And more!

Nelson then sent it to the ring in Las Vegas.

Sam Houston (w/ Coach Murdoch) won a squash match over Terry Gibbs via pinfall with his bulldog finisher

Video aired of the masked mystery man throwing a powder in the Trooper's eyes and costing Trooper the match with the caption: NEXT... STRIKING AGAIN!!!

Commercials

In-studio: Nelson intro'd footage from the end of the previous match on the ESPN program between the Trooper and Manny Fernandez.

VIDEO:

# Trooper waited for Manny to get up. Manny up and Trooper hit Manny with a flying shoulder tackle. Manny crashed to the mat. Masked Mystery Man came through the crowd quickly and jumped up on the apron. Ref distracted with masked man. Ref went over and ordered masked man off the apron but masked man had words with the ref. Crowd yelling for the ref to turn around as Trooper had Manny covered. Trooper slapped the mat three times in frustration. Trooper got off Manny and went over to where the ref and masked mystery man were. Trooper grabbed the masked man and started shaking him with the ref caught in between the two. From the other side of the arena, another masked mystery man made his way through the crowd and to ringside. Both masked men dressed the same. Ref went down being caught between Trooper and the other masked man. On the floor, masked man pulled out a baggie and poured a white powder into his hand. Trooper was able to punch the other masked man and slammed his head into the ring bolt that connects the post to the turnbuckle and the masked man crashed to the floor. The other masked man had climbed up on the apron. Ref still down and Manny recovering. Trooper saw the other masked man and walked in his direction and the masked man threw the powder in Trooper's eyes. Trooper blinded. Masked man fled the scene through the crowd. Manny recovered enough to roll Trooper up from behind and grab the tights. Ref recovered and crawled over. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the crowd booed. The other masked man was able to recover and escape through the crowd. Manny up and the ref raised his hand in victory. Trooper rolled over on his side and had his hands over his eyes.

END VIDEO

In-studio:
Nelson then intro'd comments from the Trooper.

VIDEO:

Trooper was standing in his ring gear and Trooper hat and sunglasses with mic in hand in front of the AWA logo.

Trooper: That's enough! Mystery man! I don't know who you are, but you need to reveal yourself before I reveal your true identity to the world! Trust me, I will do it if you won't voluntarily!

You've now cost me three big matches! You say that we know each other and you have some sort of grudge against me!

Well, let's be real men and deal with the issue face-to-face! Take off the mask, son! Show the world who you are!

And you now seem to have some help! Who would that be?! Is there an army of you guys who have a bone to pick with me over something!

The only thing I ask is that any and all of you come at me like a man! I know that may be hard for you! But stand up like you have some backbone! Quit ambushing me!

And to the main mystery man, know this! You will be revealed to the world one day! The people want to know who you are! And I intend to show 'em!

I won't stop until I've unmasked you!

END VIDEO

Pic aired of Tina Moretti with the caption: NEXT... TINA TIME!!!

Commercials/AWA Tour Dates

Tina Moretti won a squash match over The Syrian Terrorist via pinfall with her Samoan Driver finisher

Tina came down the face aisle to a good amount of cheers.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson:
Tina Moretti, you have been quite impressive since your arrival here in the AWA. What do you attribute your success to?

Tina: My success is built on hard work in all facets of the sport. I eat right; I work out; I train endlessly in the ring when I'm not wrestling matches in the arena. It takes dedication to be a winner in this sport. And I'm 100 percent committed to my career in this business.

Nelson: You and Reggie Bennett have already made a huge impact here in the AWA. Looks like Magnificent Mimi is gonna have her hands full when she defends the belt against either one of you.

Tina: Mimi will have to deal with two very different styles when she defends the belt against us. Reggie's a raw power wrestler and I tend to rely more on speed and finesse.

Nelson: I think I can speak for these fans when I say we're all looking forward to your future matches with the champion,

Tina: Thank you, Larry.

Nelson: Tina Moretti, everybody!

Crowd cheered.

Video aired of the controversial ending to the previous week's PWH Championship match with the caption: NEXT... CONTROVERSY!!!

Pic flipped and showed President Nick Bockwinkel with the caption: ALSO... PRESIDENT'S DECREE!!!

Commercials

In-studio: Nelson intro'd footage from last week's ASW of the controversial end to the PWH Championship match between Greg Valentine (C) and Brad Rheingans.

VIDEO:

#
Valentine dropped an elbow to the downed Rheingans. Valentine started pulling Rheingans to his feet when Rheingans stunned the champ with gut punches. Rheingans to his feet nailed Valentine with a head shot followed by a cutter out of nowhere. Crowd exploded like a bomb as Valentine crashed to the mat. Rheingans for the cover. 1...2... Valentine got his foot on the bottom rope. ...3! Ref called for the bell as the fans nearly blew the roof off the building.

Crockett: The ref didn't see Valentine's foot on the bottom rope before the three count!

Rheingans up and jumping up and down and soaking in the crowd adulation.

Ref took the title from Bischoff and said something to the announcer.

Bischoff: In a time of 10 minutes, 42 seconds, your winner...and NEW Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion... Brad Rheingans!

More crowd cheers as Rheingans was handed the belt.

Valentine up and started to argue with the ref and put his foot on the bottom rope gesturing his foot was on the rope before the count of three. Ref talking with Valentine and Rheingans went over and stood on the middle buckle and held the belt aloft for all to see and celebrate with him.

Bockwinkel: I've got to talk with the referee.

Bockwinkel removed his headset and got up and climbed into the ring and started talking with the ref. Rheingasn wondered what the discussion was about and came over.

Valentine picked up on a mic.

Valentine: That's my belt! Give it to me!

Bischoff quickly climbed into the ring with mic in hand.

Bischoff: President Bockwinkel, what's going on?

Bockwinkel: This is the first major decision I've had to make since I've become President. The referee did not see Greg Valentine get his foot on the bottom rope at he count of two.

Bockwinkel: I am holding up the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship.

We are going to have a re-match between Valentine and Rheingans for the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship! I will announce when and where very soon!

Crowd started chanting: Bullshit! Bullshit!

Rheingans and Valentine both beside themselves.

Rheingans: The referee counted the pin!

Valentine: That belt should be returned to me, President Bockwinkel, and there should be no re-match! This is outrageous!

Bockwinkel: I had to make a quick decision and this one is the most fair to both parties!

Valentine: Fair my ass! Nick Bockwinkel: the scandal president!

Rheingans: I'm the champ! I won!

Bockwinkel: Goodnight, gentlemen!

Bockwinkel turned and left the ring with the belt in tow to a mixed crowd reaction.

Valentine and Rheingans both upset in the ring.

END VIDEO

In-studio:
Nelson intro'd video comments from AWA President Nick Bockwinkel.

VIDEO:

Bockwinkel was seated behind a desk and wearing a suit.

Bockwinkel: As president of the American Wrestling Association, I am going to have some tough decisions. Some decisions might not be popular, but you have to ask yourself if the decision is the right one.

I made the call last week after the controversial ending of the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship between champion Greg Valentine and Brad Rheingans to hold up the title.

So, next week here on AWA Championship Wrestling on ESPN, we are gonna have the re-match between Greg Valentine and Brad Rheingans for the held up belt. And there must be a winner.

No decisions like this are easy. And after putting much thought into this, I decided this was the best course of action. See you next week.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... GAGNE VS. CHAMPION!!!

Commercials

Greg Gagne vs. Wayne Bloom (WTTC)

Gagne came to the ring down the face aisle to a decent ovation. Once in the ring, he acknowledged the crowd.

Bloom came to the ring down the heel aisle to pretty strong boos and was wearing his tag title.

Match was brief and fast-paced. Gagne made a pretty good showing. But in the end Bloom prevailed with a clothesline to score the 1...2...3! - 2:49

Pic aired of Barry Windham with the caption: NEXT... BIG BARRY NEWS!!!

Commercials

In-studio: Nelson intro'd the newest video from AWA newcomer Barry Windham.

VIDEO:

Windham was in street clothes and standing in front of his pool with mic in hand.

Barry: This is Barry Windham coming at you once again.

The AWA is on fire right now and it promises to turn into a raging inferno. They are red hot.

Big names in the sport are coming in. The AWA is now the place to be. They have started their ascent back to prominence. The AWA can be ignored no more.

And now, I have some big news for you great fans out there.

Next week, on AWA Championship Wrestling on ESPN, I'm gonna be making my in-ring debut.

I can't wait to get to the Showboat in Las Vegas and step into the squared circle and face some of the best wrestling has to offer.

I'm excited and counting the days until I step back in the ring and hear that bell to start the match.

I will see you all next week in Vegas!

END VIDEO

In-studio:
Nelson talked about Windham making his in-ring debut next week on the ESPN program.

Nelson hyped Super Clash 5 on Sept. 16 on PPV in Milwaukee at the Mecca Arena. Said tickets were on sale now.

Pic aired of Badd Co. with the caption: NEXT... NOT GOOD COMPANY!!!

Commercials

Commercial aired for the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament video tape. Tape was advertised as two hours of highlights, complete matches and some interviews from the historic event. An 800 number and a mailing address were listed on the screen. Cost of the video: $39.95 + S/H

Badd Co. (Tanaka & Diamond - w/ Mgr. DDP) won a squash match over David Heath & Dusty Wolfe via pinfall when Tanaka pinned Wolfe after a catapault into a jumping DDT

Badd Co came down the heel aisle to mainly boos but had a small core of fans.

In-Studio: Nelson hyped for next week on the program:

FOR THE HELD UP PWHC TITLE: Greg Valentine vs. Brad Rheingans

Barry Windham makes his AWA wrestling debut

Promoter Jim Crockett has a message for Don Muraco and Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey

And more!

Pic of the AWA logo aired with the caption: NEXT... COWBOYS AND OLYMPIANS!!!

Commercials

Promo aired for the AWA PPV Super Clash 5 - Sunday - Sept. 16 - Mecca Arena - Milwaukee, WI - Bell time: 8pm E/5pm P.

Tickets on NOW!

TV MAIN EVENT:
Bob Orton vs. Ken Patera

Orton came down the heel aisle to pretty strong boos.

Patera came down the face aisle to a good ovation.

The two men had a good battle with one another and both put on solid wrestling displays.

Valerie never came to ringisde.

At the end of the match, Patera and Orton engaged in a collar-and-elbow tie-up and wound up toppling through the top and middle rope and crashing to the floor back and the two wound up battling to a double countout.

DECISION - Double Countout - 6:25

END PROGRAM
1706820233787.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy Mustang

Raider Nation

Reaction score
1706820894940.png

(I am posting the six previous shows already posted on another site so you can get a feel for where we are right now. 3 AWA on ESPN and 3 All-Star Wrestling.)

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING SYNDICATED PROGRAM - CASPER EVENTS CENTER - CASPER, WY - JULY 1990

Announcers: Jack Reynolds & David Crockett

Ring Announcer/In-ring Interviewer: Eric Bischoff

(1st Taping)

Show Intro

In-Studio
: Larry Nelson welcomed viewers. Said this was the first AWA show ever in the great state of Wyoming and then ran down the program:

TV MAIN EVENT - AWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Destruction Crew (WTTC) vs. Tom Zenk & Jerry Blackwell

A look back at the controversial finish on last week's ASWin the PWH Championship match and President Nick Bockwinkel's response to it

Jonnie Stewart vs. Mando Guerrero

A look back at the masked mystery man costing the Trooper another match and post-match comments from the Trooper

Another pre-recorded message from the incoming Barry Windham

Sam Houston (w/ Coach Murdoch) vs. Ninja Go (w/ Akio Sato)

And more!!!

Nelson sent it to the ring in Casper.

Greg Gagne & Jake Milliman vs. Badd Co. (w/ Mgr. DDP)

Badd Co. and mgr. DDP made their way down the heel aisle to the ring to the strains of Bad Company by Bad Company. They were heavily booed.

The trio briefly played to the crowd once in the ring.

Gagne & Milliman came down the face aisle to a strong ovation from the hot crowd.

Once in the ring, Milliman shredded his '2% Forever' t-shirt and tossed it into the crowd,

Gagne and Milliman briefly played to the fans.

Gagne and Pat Tanaka started the match for their teams.

Ref called for the bell and Tanaka flew out of the corner and blasted Gagne with a spinning heel kick. Gagne crashed into the corner. Tanaka moved in and caught Gagne with a series of stiff, brutal kicks to the side of the ribs. Gagne stumbled out of the corner next to the ropes. Tanaka grabbed Gagne, whipped Gagne into the ropes and looked to catch Gagne coming off with a high backdrop but Gagne managed to leapfrog Tanaka and dropkick Tanaka in the back. Tanaka crashed front-first into the buckles as the fans popped. Tanaka turned and walked out of the corner into another flying dropkick that sent Tanaka crashing to the mat. Tanaka up and Gagne found the strength to catch Tanaka in a flying headscissors takedown as the fans kept cheering and applauding. Gagne held the hold on as he shook out the effects of Tanaka's previous offensive. Tanaka managed to maneuver his way out of the hold and Gagne sat up and Tanaka popped Gagne with a dropkick to the chest. Gagne hurting. Tanaka snapped up Gagne and walked Gagne to his corner and tagged in Diamond. Diamond stuck his foot on the top buckle and Tanaka slammed Gagne's head into it. Diamond climbed in the ring and engaged in a punch assault on the ribs Tanaka worked over earlier. Diamond grabbed Gagne and slammed Gagne to the mat. Diamond hit a jumping elbow smash on Gagne and went for the cover. 1...2... Gagne kicked out. Crowd cheered. Crowd started cheering for Jake to get the tag. DDP looking on from ringside. Diamond snapped Gagne up and whipped Gagne into the corner and Dimaond charged in and looked to splash Gagne Sting-style but Gagne moved and Diamond slammed into the buckles, bounced back and crashed to the mat. Both men down. Ref counting. Crowd urging on Gagne to make the tag. Both men to their feet and Gagne lunged over and tagged in Jake to wild cheers from the hot house. Diamond went to punch Milliman but Milliman blocked the punch try and fired away on Diamond with punches, whipped Diamond into the ropes and caught Diamond coming off with a high backdrop. Diamond slammed to the mat. Diamond up and Milliman stunned Diamond with another punch and then whipped Diamond into the ropes and caught Diamond coming off with a headbutt to the chest. Diamond crashed to the mat. Jake for the pin. 1...2... Tanaka hit the ring and broke up the pin try with a diving elbow smash to Jake's back. Jake down and Tanaka back to his corner. Diamond up and booted Jake in the head twice and then Diamond slammed Jake's face into the mat repeatedly. Fans urging on Jake. Diamond snapped Jake up and went to whip Jake into the ropes but Jake reversed and caught Diamond coming off with a powerslam. Crowd exploded. Jake up, ran and hit the ropes and DDP drove the head of his cane into Jake's back and Jake crashed to the mat. Ref looked over at DDP and DDP denied any wrongdoing. Jake to his knees and Diamond to his feet and Diamond caught Jake with a vicious strike to the side of the head. Diamond snapped Jake up and drove Jake into the corner and hit Jake with a trio of shoulder blocks to the gut and then tagged in Tanaka. Tanaka hit the ring and popped Jake with a series of kicks to the side of the ribs. Jake staggered out of the corner and Tanaka came up behind Jake and caught Jake with a German suplex. Tanaka grabbed Jake and repeated the move and went for the cover. 1...2... Gagne hit the ring and stomped Tanaka to break up the pin try. DDP, in a moment of great irony, cried foul. Diamond went to climb in the ring but the ref intercepted him and ordered him back. Diamond back in his corner. Tanaka snapped Milliman up and and popped Milliman with a dragon screw legwhip. Milliman crumpled to the mat. Tanaka pulled Milliman up and headbutted Jake, Jake stunned but still on his feet and nailed Tanaka with a stiff right uppercut. Tanaka crashed to the mat and Jake followed from the effects of the headbutt.

Both men down. Ref counting. Each man started moving to his respective corner. Just as Tanaka tagged in Diamond, Milliman tagged in Gagne. The two men came in and Gagne stunned Diamond with a legdive takedown. Diamond up and Greg caught Diamond with a hip toss. Diamond up and Gagne peppered Diamond with punches, whipped Diamond into the ropes and looked to catch Diamond coming off with a dropkick but Diamond grabbed the top rope and Greg crashed to the mat. Gagne to his feet and Diamond nailed Gagne with a running clothesline that dropped Gagne. Diamond with a knee drop to the head and covered Greg for the pin. 1...2...thr... Greg got a shoulder up. Crowd popped. Diamond snapped Gagne up and went to whip Gagne into the corner but Gagne reversed and sent Diamond crashing into the buckles. Gagne charged in and monkey flipped Diamond out of the corner. Diamond up and lunged at Gagne who ducked the assault attempt, did a forward roll and tagged in Jake. Crowd really into it. Jake caught Diamond with some punches and whipped Diamond into the ropes and looked to catch Diamond coming off with a high backdrop but Diamonbd caught Jake with a kick to the chest. Jake shot up and stumbled back. Diamond caught jake ith a kick to the gut and hoisted up Jake for a suplex but Jake wriggled free from Diamond's grasp and dropped to his feet behind Diamond. Diamond turned and walked into a series of rapid-fire uppercuts from Jake. Jake whipped Diamond into the ropes and caught Diamond coming off with a powerslam. Crowd popped. Jake ran and hit the ropes and came off with his Pasteurizer (flying leg drop) finisher. Jake for the cover. 1... Tanaka hit the ring to break up the pin. ...2... Gagne hit the ring and dropkicked Tanaka into the corner. ...3! Crowd exploded as the ref called for the bell. Jake up and the ref raised both his hand and Gagne's in victory.

An upset DDP at ringside.

WINNER: Gagne & Milliman - Pinfall - 8:12

Video aired of the controversial end of last week's PWHC Title match between Valentine (C) and Brad Rheingans with the caption: NEXT... CONTROVERSY!!!

Commercials

In-studio: Nelson intro'd footage from last week's ASWof the controversial end to the PWH Championship match between Greg Valentine (C) and Brad Rheingans.

VIDEO:

#Valentine dropped an elbow to the downed Rheingans. valentine started pulling Rheingasn to his feet when Rheingasn stunned the champ with gut punches. Rheingans to his feet nailed Valentine with a head shot followed by a cutter out of nowhre. Crowd exploded like a bomb as Valentine crashed to the mat. Rheingans for the cover. 1...2... Valentine got his foot on the bottom rope. ...3! Ref called for the bell as the fans nearly blew the roof off the building.

Crockett: The ref didn't see Valentine's foot on the bottom rope before the three count!

Rheingans up and jumping up and down and soaking in the crowd adulation.

Ref took the title from Bischoff and said something to the announcer.

Bischoff: In a time of 10 minutes, 42 seconds, your winner...and NEW Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion... Brad Rheingans!

More crowd cheers as Rheingasn was handed the belt.

Valentine up and started to argue with the ref and put his foot on the bottom rope gesturing his foot was on the rope before the count of three. Ref talking with Valentine and Rheingans went over and stood on the middle buckle andn held the belt aloft for all to see and celebrate with him.

Bockwinkel: I've got to talk with the referee.

Bockwinkel removed his headset and got up and climbed into the ring and started talking with the ref. Rheingasn wondered what the discussion was about and came over.

Valentine picked up on a mic.

Valentine: That's my belt! Give it to me!

Bischoff quickly climbed into the ring with mic in hand.

Bischoff: President Bockwinkel, what's going on?

Bockwinkel: This is the first major decision I've had to make since I've become President. The referee did not see Greg Valentine get his foot on the bottom rope at he count of two.

Bockwinkel: I am holding up the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship.

We are going to have a re-match between Valentine and Rheingans for the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship! I will announce when and where very soon!

Crowd started chanting: Bullshit! Bullshit!

Rheingans and Valentine both beside themselves.

Rheingans: The referee counted the pin!

Valentine: That belt should be returned to me, President Bockwinkel, and there should be no re-match! This is outrageous!

Bockwinkel: I had to make a quick decision and this one is the most fair to both parties!

Valentine: Fair my ass! Nick Bockwinkel: the scandal president!

Rheingans: I'm the champ! I won!

Bockwinkel: Goodnight, gentlemen!

Bockwinkel turned and left the ring with the belt in tow to a mixed crowd reaction.

Valentine and Rheingans both upset in the ring.

END VIDEO

In-studio: Nelson intro'd video comments from AWA President Nick Bockwinkel.

VIDEO:

Bockwinkel was seated behind a desk and wearing a suit.

Bockwinkel: As president of the Ameerican Wrestling Association, I am going to have some tough decisions. Some decisions might not be popular, but you have to ask yourself if the decision is the right one.

I made the call last week after the controversial ending ot the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship between champion Greg Valentine and Brad Rheingans to hold up the title.

So, next week here on AWA Championship Wrestling on ESPN, we are gonna have the re-match between Greg Valentine and Brad Rheingans for the held up belt. And there must be a winner.

No decisions like this are easy. And asfter putting much thought into this, I decided this was the best course of action. See you next week.

END VIDEO

In-Studio
: Nelson hyped the PWHC re-match for next week on AWA on ESPN.

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... MORE GREAT AWA ACTION!!!

Commercials/Market-specific promos for house show cities/Generic promos for non-house show cities

Jonnie Stewart vs. Mando Guerrero

Mando came to the ring down the face aisle to a decent ovation.

Stewart came down the heel aisle to a strong heel reaction,

Mando got in very little offense and Jonnie dominated the brief encounter and finished Mando off with his flying elbow smash from the top rope finisher to score the 1...2...3 in just under 2 minutes.

In-studio: Nelson said Stewart is really starting to live up to his self-hype.

Nelson then intro'd pre-recorded comments from the champs the Destruction Crew before their tag title match in the main event.

VIDEO:

Shot of Wayne Bloom and Mike Enos in their ring attire with the belts around their waists and mics in hand.

Bloom: So, the AWA sees fit to have us defend the titles against a newly formed tag team. Have Jerry Blackwell and Tome Zenk ever wrestled together before?

Nice to throw us in cold against a new opponent and tell us we're defending the belts against them.

But, you know what, Mike?

Enos: Tell it.

Bloom: The AWA bosses think they've pulled a fast one on us. Let me tell you they haven't.

We're the best tag team in wrestling today for a reason. We've held these belts for over a year now for a reason.

We know that no matter who we're matched against, we can beat them. So, AWA, expect a major backfire in your plans to get the belts off of us tonight!

Enos: Well spoken as always, brother. New opponent. Same result. A victory for the Destruction Crew!

We're not gonna be the ones with egg on our faces after this match! It's gonna be the AWA that looks foolish!

The bottom line is: Blackwell and Zenk are not the Destrcution Crew and they never will be! That point will be driven home tonight!

Bloom: Prepare to feel the sting of defeat, boys!

END VIDEO

Split-screen pic aired of Sam Houston and Ninja Go with the caption: NEXT... SAM VS, NIINJA!

Commercials

Commercial aired for the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament video tape. Tape was advertised as two hours of highlights, complete matches and some interviews from the historic event. An 800 number and a mailing address were listed on the screen. Cost of the video: $39.95 + S/H

Sam Houston (w/ Coach Murdoch) vs. Ninja Go (w/ Akio Sato)

The mysterious masked Go and Sato came to the ring down the heel aisle to fairly strong boos.

Sam and Murdoch came down the face aisle to a good ovation.

Once in the ring, Sam briefly played to the crowd.

Go dominated early but Sam fought his way back into the match. Bout became a see-saw affair.

End of the match saw Go on the offensive. Go worked Sam over and went to whip Sam into the corner but Sam reversed and sent Go crashing into the buckles. Sam charged in and popped Go with a dropkick. Sam up and grabbed Go in a side headlock. Sam nailed Go with the running bulldog to a crowd pop. As that was going on, Sato snuck over and struck Murdoch from behind. Sam for the cover. 1...2... Sato hit the ring and booted Sam. Ref called for the bell. Sato attacking Sam. Go recovered and joined in the attack. Murdoch recovered at ringside and climbed into the ring and joined in the fray. All four men were brawling with one another. Ref again called for the bell to no avail. The brawl spilled out onto the floor and the two teams brawled back up the face aisle to the back to roars of the hot Wyoming crowd.

WINNER: Houston - DQ - 4:28

In-studio: Nelson wondered what the fallout would be from that brawl.

Nelson hyped Super Clash 5 from the Mecca in MIlwaukee, WI on Sept. 16 on PPV.

Video aired of the masked mystery man costing the Trooper another match by throwing powder in Trooper's face with the caption: NEXT... BLINDSIDED!!!

Commercials/Market-specific promos for house show cities/Generic promos for non-house show cities

In-studio: Nelson intro'd footage from the end of last week's main event on the ESPN program between the Trooper and Manny Fernandez.

VIDEO:

# Trooper waited for Manny to get up. Manny up and Trooper hit Manny with a flying shoulder tackle. Manny crashed to the mat. Masked Mystery Man came through the crowd quickly and jumped up on the apron. Ref distracted with masked man. Ref went over and ordered masked man off the apron but masked man had words with the ref. Crowd yelling for the ref to turn around as Trooper had Manny covered. Trooper slapped the mat three times in frustration. Trooper got off Manny and went over to where the ref and masked mystery man were. Trooper grabbed the masked man and started shaking him with the ref caught in between the two. From the other side of the arena, another masked mystery man made his way through the crowd and to ringisde. Both masked men dressed the same. Ref went down being caught between Trooper and the other masked man. On the floor, masked man pulled out a baggie and poured a white powder into his hand. Trooper was able to punch the other masked man and slammed his head into the ring bolt that connects the post to the turnbuckle and the masked man crashed to the floor. The other masked man had climbed up on the apron. Ref still down and Manny recovering. Trooper saw the other masked man and walked in his direction and the masked man threw the powder in Trooper's eyes. Trooper blinded. Masked man fled the scene through the crowd. Manny recovered enough to roll Trooper up from behind and grab the tights. Ref recovered and crawled over. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the crowd booed. The other masked man was able to recover and escape through the crowd. Manny up and the ref raised his hand in victory. Trooper rolled over on his side and had his hands over his eyes.

END VIDEO

In-studio:
Nelson then intro'd comments from the Trooper.

VIDEO:

Trooper was standing in his ring gear and Trooper hat and sunglasses with mic in hand in front of the AWA logo.

Trooper: That's enough! Mystery man! I don't know who you are, but you better reveal yourself before I reveal your true identity to the world! Trust me, I will do it if you won't voluntarily!

You've now cost me three big matches! You say that we know each other and you have some sort of grudge against me!

Well, let's be real men and deal with the issue face-to-face! Take off the mask, son! Show the world who you are!

And you now seem to have some help! Who would that be?! Is there an army of you guys who have a bone to pick with me over something?!

The only thing I ask is that any and all of you come at me like a man! I know that may be hard for you! But stand up like you have some backbone! Quit ambushing me!

And to the main mystery man, know this! You will be revealed to the world one day! The people want to know who you are! And I intend to show 'em!

I won't stop until I've unmasked you!

END VIDEO

END VIDEO

In-Studio:
Nelson hyped Windham's debut in the AWA.

Pic aired of Barry Windham with the caption: NEXT... MORE FROM BARRY!!!

Promo aired for the AWA PPV Super Clash 5 - Sunday - Sept. 16 - Mecca Arena - Milwaukee, WI - Bell time: 8pm E/5pm P.

Tickets on sale NOW!

In-studio: Nelson intro'd the nbewest video from AWA newcomer Barry Wndham.

VIDEO:

# Windham was in street clothes and standing in front of his pool with mic in hand.

Barry: This is Barry Windham coming at you once again.

The AWA is on fire right now and it promises to turn into a raging inferno. They are red hot.

Big names in the sport are coming in. The AWA is now the place to be. They have started their ascent back to prominence. The AWA can be ignored no more.

And now, I have some big news for you great fans out there.

Next week, on AWA Championship Wrestling on ESPN, I'm gonna be making my in-ring debut.

I can't wait to get to the Showboat in Las Vegas and step into the squared circle and face some of the best wrestling has to offer.

I'm excited and counting the days until I step back in the ring and hear that bell to start the match.

I will see you all next week in Vegas!

END VIDEO

In-Studio:
Nelson hyped Windham's debut in the AWA.

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... TITLE CHANGE???

Commercials

In-studio: Nelson hyped for next week on the AWA on ESPN:

FOR THE HELD UP PWH CHAMPIONSHIP: Greg valentine (PWHC) vs. Brad Rheingans

PLUS!

The AWA debut of Barry Windham

TV MAIN EVENT - AWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP: Destruction Crew (WTTC) vs. Tom Zenk & Jerry Blackwell

Blackwell and Zenk came to the ring down the face aisle to a decent ovation.

Destruction crew came down the heel aisle to loud boos. Each man had his title around his waist.

After the usual pre-match doings, the ref sent each team to their corners.

Announcers said they had never seen the pairing of Blackwell and Zenk working together.

Ref called for the bell.

Jerry and Wayne Bloom came out of their corners and engaged in a collar-and-elbow tie-up. After a brief struggle, Blackwell threw Bloom off and Bloom crashed to the mat. Crowd popped. Bloom up and the pair engaged in another lock-up and Blackwell again threw Bloom to the mat. Bloom to his feet. Bloom sized Blackwell up. Bloom caught Blackwell with a gut kick, maneuvered around behind Blackwell, grabbed Jerry around the waist and took Jerry down with an amateur-style takedown. Bloom turned and looked out at the crowd as Jerry quickly got to his feet behind Bloom. Bloom turned and walked right into a headbutt from Jerry and crashed to the mat. Jerry snapped Bloom up and slammed Bloom's head into the top buckle in his team's corner and tagged in Zenk. Bloom spun around in the corner and Zenk laid into Bloom with a series of shoulder blocks to the gut. Zenk went to whip Bloom into the opposite buckles but Bloom reversed and sent Zenk crashing into them. Bloom charged in and popped Zenk with a running clothesline. Bloom raked Zenk's eyes across the top rope and broke the illegal move at the count of 4 and tagged in Enos. Zenk grabbed at his eyes and Enos clubbed Zenk in the back three times. Enos whipped Zenk into the ropes and Zenk came off and leapfrgged Enos and Zenk came back and caught Enos with a flying crossbody for the pin. 1... Enos kicked out. Zenk caught Enos in a side headlock and worked it over before Enos shoved Zenk off and Zenk crashed front-first into the buckles. Enos spun Zenk around and nailed Znek with a series of knees to the gut. Enos pulled Zenk out of he corner and nailed Zenk with a suplex and then Enos went for a jumping elbow smash but Zenk rolled out of the way and Enos crashed to the mat. Fans popped. Both men up and Zenk pulverized Enos with punches, whipped Enos into the ropes and blasted Enos coming off with a dropkick that sent Enos crashing to the mat. Zenk tagged in Jerry. Jerry in the ring as Enos got up and Jerry grabbed Enos and whipped Enos into the ropes and caught Enos coming off in a bearhug. Fans cheered. Jerry cinched up on the hold and Enos was struggling not to submit. Bloom hit the ring and charged up behind Jerry and clubbed Jerry with a forearm to the back to break up the submission try. Zenk climbed in the ring to go after Bloom but the ref intercepted him. Ref ordered Zenk back to his corner. With Zenk and the ref distracted, the champs popped Jerry with a double suplex. Bloom back to his corner. Enos tagged in Bloom. Jerry up and Bloom mounted the middle buckle and came off with a double axe handle to the top of Jerry's head. Jerry stunned. Bloom whipped Jerry into the ropes and nailed Jerry coming off with a back elbow to the chest. Bloom then bodyslammed Jerry and went for the cover. 1...2... Jerry kicked out. Bloom up and put the boots to Jerry as Jerry was getting up. Bloom grabbed and whipped Jerry into the buckles. Jerry crashed front-first into the buckles staggered back and crashed to the mat. Bloom dived on Jerry for the cover. 1...2... Jerry kicked out. More cheers. Bloom tagged in Enos.

Reynolds: Both teams are tagging in and out quickly.

Enos caught Jerry with punches and went to whip Jerry into the ropes but Jerry reversed and Enos came off and slammed into the big man and crashed to the mat. Crowd cheered. Enos up and walked into the standing dropkick from Jerry. Enos crashed to the mat. Jerry picked up Enos and bodyslammed him. Jerry then ran, hit the ropes and came off with his diving splash finisher but Enos rolled out of the way and Jerry slammed to the mat. Both men down. Ref counting. Jerry and Enos up and engaged in a punch exchange. Jerry got the upper hand and popped Enos with a headbutt. Enos staggered. Jerry then snapped up Enos and blasted him with a running powerslam. Crowd ate it up (folks in Wyoming must be desperate for wrestling the way they're poppin'.) Blackwell for the cover. 1...2... Bloom hit the ring and stomped Jerry in the back of the head to break up the pin try. Zenk tried to climb in the ring to go after Bloom but the ref intercepted Zenk and ordered him back to his corner. Bloom took the opportuntiy to choke out Jerry with his boot. Bloom back to his corner as the ref turned around. Enos up and tagged in Bloom. Bloom came in as Jerry got up and Bloom jumped on Jerry and started battering Jerry with forearm shots. Bloom went to whip Jerry into the buckles but Jerry reversed and sent Bloom crashing into them. Jerry found the strength to nail Bloom with an avalanche. Loud pop. Jerry grabbed the top rope and shook out the effects of the match and tagged in Zenk. Zenk came in and nailed Bloom with a series of kicks and whipped Bloom into the opposite buckles. Zenk mounted the middle rope over Bloom and hit Bloom in the head with a series of rapid-fire punches. Zenk dropped back to the mat. Zenk went to whip Bloom into the opposite buckles but Bloom reversed and sent Zenk crashing into them. Bloom charged in on Zenk but Zenk got a foot up and Bloom slammed face-first into it. Bloom spun away and staggered off. Bloom turned and walked right into a Zenk small package for the pin. 1...2...thr... Bloom kicked out. Crowd groaned. Zenk reached down and started to pull Bloom up but Bloom caught Zenk with a series of gut shots, Bloom snapped Zenk up and dropped Zenk throat-first across the top rope. Zenk crumpled to the mat. Bloom tagged in Enos. Enos came in and drove a series of knees into the side of Zenk's ribs. Enos snapped Zenk up and nailed him with a gutwrench suplex followed by an elbow smash for the pin. 1...2... Zenk kicked out. Crowd buzzing. Enos caught Zenk with a couple of punches and went to whip Zenk into the ropes but Zenk reversed and caught Enos coming off with a powerslam. Crowd exploded. Zenk gestured it was time to go to the top rope. Zenk out on the apron and mounted the top buckle as the stunned Enos got to his feet. Enos turned and was greeted with Zenk's missle dropkick finisher. Enos crashed to the mat. Zenk for the cover. 1... Bloom hit the ring. ...2... Bloom pulled Zenk off of Enos to break up the pin try. Jerry hit the ring and drove Bloom into the corner full force and was hammering away on Bloom. Ref distracted by Jerry and Bloom and trying to get them back to their corners. Enos and Zenk both up and Enos facing away from Zenk. Zenk ran Enos into the ropes and rolled Enos up for the pin. Bloom stopped Jerry's momentum with an eye rake. As the ref checked on Jerry and tried to get him out of the ring, crowd yelling for the ref to turned around. Bloom charged up behind Zenk and blasted him with a running clothesline to the back of the neck. Zenk crashed to the mat. Ref getting Jerry put of the ring. Enos rolled Zenk over and covered him. Bloom back out on the apron yelled for the ref to turn around. Ref turned and saw Enos covering Zenk. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as many in the crowd booed.

Ref went over and took the belts from Eric Bischoff.

Ref raised the hand of Enos and handed the champs their belts back. Champs left the ring and headed back up the heel aisle with the belts held aloft to strong boos.

Crockett: Can anybody beat these guys?

WINNER: Destruction Crew - Pinfall - 9:03

END PROGRAM

Last edited:

Raider Nation

Reaction score
1706821357864.png

(I am posting the six previous shows already posted on another site so you can get a feel for where we are right now. 3 AWA on ESPN and 3 All-Star Wrestling.)

(# Aired on a previous AWA program.)

(2nd Taping)

Show Intro

TV MAIN EVENT - FOR THE HELD UP PRO WRESTLING HERITAGE CHAMPIONSHIP: Greg Valentine vs. Brad Rheingans

PLUS!

Pre-match comments from Valentine and Rheingans

Barry Windham makes his AWA in-ring debut

A look back at the end of last week's ASW match between Sam Houston and Ninja Go with comments from Houston and Murdoch and also Go and Akio Sato through a Japanese translator

'Big' Reggie Bennett sees action

An announcement about a wrestler returning to the AWA next week!

Cactus Jack wrestles and boy is he mad!

Nelson sent it to the ring in Vegas.

The Top Guns won a squash match over Les Thornton & Swede Hanson via pinfall when Dukes pinned Thornton after a running clothesline

In-Studio: Nelson talked about all the buzz surrounding the new era AWA. Said big changes were happening and the AWA was the promotion on the rise in wrestling.

Nelson hyped Super Clash 5 for Milwaukee, WI at the Mecca Arena on Sunday, Sept. 16 on PPV. Said tickets were on sale now for the event.

Video aired of Ninja Go and Akio Sato attacking Sam Houston and Dick Murdoch coming to the aid of Sam with the caption: NEXT... IT'S GO TIME!!!

Commercials

In-studio:
Nelson intro'd footage from the end of last week's ASW match where Ninja Go and Akio Sato attacked Sam Houston and Sam's coach Dick Murdoch came to Sam's aid.

VIDEO:

# End of the match so Go on the offensive. Go worked Sam over and went to whip Sam into the corner but Sam reversed and sent Go crashing into the buckles. Sam charged in and popped Go with a dropkick. Sam up and grabbed Go in a side headlock. Sam nailed Go with the running bulldog to a crowd pop. As that was going on, Sato snuck over and struck Murdoch from behind. Sam for the cover. 1...2... Sato hit the ring and booted Sam. Ref called for the bell. Sato attacking Sam. Go recovered and joined in the attack. Murdoch recovered at ringside and climbed into the ring and joined in the fray. All four men were brawling with one another. Ref again called for the bell to no avail. The brawl spilled out onto the floor and the two teams brawled back up the face aisle to the back to roars of the hot Wyoming crowd.

END VIDEO

In-Studio:
Nelson intro'd comments from Sato and Go to be followed by comments from Houston and Murdoch.

VIDEO:

Video opened with a shot of Sato and the masked Go, in their ring attire, standing in front of the AWA logo. Go was silent and Sato's Japanese words were translated into English by a voice-over translator.

Sato: The Japanese are a very proud people. Losing to someone like Sam Houston is unacceptable for a wrestler the caliber of Ninja Go. Back in Japan, Go would have had to face the wrath of the people of the rising sun.

The match had to be stopped because of the shame that would have resulted from losing to Sam Houston. I make no apologies in looking out for my partner. Ninja Go is a hero in Japan. His face is everywhere. It's on buses and billboards and trains. People buy up all the wrestling magazines when his picture is on the cover. He is representative of Japanese greatness.

And I could not let that greatness be blemished by a man like Sam Houston. I did the right thing not just for Go and myself, but also for the people of Japan.

Pic flipped and Houston and Murdoch, in their street clothes and each holding a mic and standing in front of the AWA logo.

Murdoch: You know, if there's one thing I've always told Sam as his coach, it's that you have to stand or fall on your own in this sport. You win or lose on your own in the ring.

Well, Sam had Ninja Go beat when he hit him with his running bulldog finisher. But Akio Sato had to interfere and take away a pinfall win from Sam.

I could not stand by while my man was attacked by two Kamikazes. I had to get involved and a brawl ensued. I felt like it was 1985 and I was at the height of my career all over again. I loved a good, old fashioned slobber knocker, but I did not expect to be in one now.

So, I've discussed it with Sam here. And I'm gonna come out of retirement for one match. We want Akio Sato and Ninja Go in that ring!

Sam: Akio Sato! You should have just stayed in your man's corner and let things play out in the ring! You should have let Go rise or fall on his own! But, you could not do that, could you?!

Coach Murdoch talked with me about coming out of retirement! he's one of the best of all time in the ring! I welcome him being my partner!

President Bockwinkel! I know you're watching! Please! Please! Please! Make the match!

We want Sato and Go inside the ring as soon as possible!

END VIDEO

In-studio: Nelson said to expect comments from Prez Bockwinkel regarding this match request in the coming weeks.

Pic aired of Reggie Bennett with the caption: NEXT... REGGIE! REGGIE! REGGIE!

ALSO...

Pic of a shadow outline of a wrestler with the caption: HE'S BACK!!!

Commercials/AWA Tour Update

'Big' Reggie Bennett won a squash match over Linda Kasabian via pinfall with a running chest bump (Bennett runs into the ropes and comes off and violently crashes into her opponent)

Bennett got a good ovation coming to the ring.

In-Studio: Nelson discussed how impressive Bennett has been since her arrival in the AWA.

Nelson also hyped for next week... the return of Jerry Lawler!

Nelson pointed out that Lawler has not been seen since Super Clash 4 of last year where he lost to Sgt. Slaughter in a match to determine the real AWA World Champion.

Pic aired of Cactus Jack with the caption: NEXT... UNHAPPY CAMPER!!!

Commercials

Cactus Jack def. Vinnie Valentino via ref stoppage in just over 2 minutes when Jack nailed Valentino with a trio of leg drops from the second rope

Jack came to the ring down the heel aisle to mainly boos but also had his fans.

Announcers pointed out that Jack still has not gotten over losing the World Title to Wahoo McDaniel.

Split-screen pic aired of Valentine and Rheingans with the caption: NEXT... WORDS BEFORE BATTLE!!!

Commercials

Tickets on sale NOW!

In-studio:
Nelson intro'd comments from Greg Valentine and Brad Rheingans before their match for the held-up PWHC Title in the main event.

VIDEO:

Shot of Rheingans in street clothes holding a mic in front of the AWA logo.

Rheingans:
Well, President Bockwinkel has decided on a re-match between me and Greg valentine for the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship.

The referee did not see Valentine's foot on the bottom rope when I pinned him.

While the finish was controversial, the fact is I did have Valentine down for the three count and it should have stood as far as I'm concerned. Because the ref missed the foot on the rope is no excuse. He counted three.

I should be standing here holding the belt.

But, I have to put that aside and I am prepared to face Valentine again for the title.

I showed the world I could beat him and I can do it again. Tonight, one of us is walking out of that ring the Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion.

Hammer, I've got your number.

P
ic flipped and Valentine, in street clothes and wearing sunglasses, was standing in front of the AWA logo with mic in hand.

Valentine: This is an outrage! I should still be the Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion!

Everyone saw that I got my foot on the bottom rope at the count of two and the ref supposedly didn't see it! Personally, I think the ref just wanted to see to it that Rheingans got the belt!

And President Bockwinkel, instead of doing the right thing and returning the belt to me, ordered the title held up and we're having a re-match!

Well, Rheingans, let me tell you something! You're going down in flames!

I'm getting the belt back that should still be mine in the first place!

END VIDEO

Pic aired of Barry Windham with the caption: NEXT... BARRY ARRIVES!!!

Barry Horowitz was already in the ring and announced.

Windham came down the face aisle to a strong ovation from the crowd.

Once in the ring, Windham acknowledged the fans.

Windham made relatively quick work of Horowitz with his flying lariat finisher to score the pinfall victory.

Pic aired of the PWHC Title with the caption: NEXT... RE-MATCH!!!

Commercials

TV MAIN EVENT - FOR THE HELD UP PRO WRESTLING HERITAGE CHAMPIONSHIP: Greg Valentine vs. Brad Rheingans

Shot of President Bockwinkel sitting at ringside.

Rheingans came to the ring down the face aisle to a good ovation from the crowd.

Valentine came down the heel aisle to strong boos but also had his fans.

Nelson did the intro's of the combatants and Prez Bock.

Ref held the PWHC title up for all to see before handing it off to Larry Nelson. Ref called both men to the middle of the ring and laid down the ground rules and patted each man down.

Ref called for the bell.

Crowd was pretty amped for the match.

The two men circled one another and engaged in a collar-and-elbow tie-up and struggled to gain the advantage and Valentine managed to maneuver around behind Rheingans and catch him in a hammerlock and drive Rheingasn down to the mat, Valentine kept the hammerlock locked on and drove a series of knees into Rheingans' left arm area. Valentine then locked Rheingans in an arm bar. Valentine on his feet and Rheingans to a knee. Valentine cinched up on the hold as Rheingans got to his feet still locked in the hold. Valentine pounded on Rheingans' left shoulder.

Pedicino: Looks like Valentine is trying to soften up Rheingans' left arm.

Valentine with the hold still firmly locked on. Rheingans fighting to free himself from the hold. Rheingans reared back and caught Valentine with a head shot and Valentine repsponded by grabbing the back of Rheingans' hair and yanking Rheingans down to the mat still locked in the arm bar. Rheingans not giving up. Ref reprimanded Valentine for the hair pull. Rheingans on his side and Valentine still had Rheingans in the hold and a knee on Rheingans' rib cage. Valentine up and delivered a couple of kicks to Rheingans' left arm. Valentine pounded the left shoulder some more. Rheingans now on a hand and knees in the ring. Valentine merciless in cinching up on the hold. Rheingans slowly made it to his feet and Valentine pounded the shoulder area once more and Rheingans went back down to a knee and quickly bounced up and found the strength to drive Valentine into the ropes to force a break in the hold. Rheingans grabbing his left arm as Valentine moved in and caught Rheingans with more kicks to the left arm area. Rheingans crashed to the mat rolled out of the ring and dropped to the floor and was grabbing his left arm. Valentine ignored the ref, climbed out on the apron and stomped on Rheingans' left shoulder a couple of times. Valentine dropped to the floor and grabbed Rheingans, whipped Rheingans into the post and Rheingans slammed shoulder-first into the post and went down on the floor grabbing his arm. Valentine caught Rheingans with a head shot, snapped Rheingans to his feet and slammed Rheingans' left arm into the apron. Ref counting. Valentine quickly rolled in and out of the ring to break the 10-count. Rheingans next to the ring apron grabbing his left arm.

Dundee: Gotta admit this is something you don't see from Valentine. But I'm liking it. This can't go on much longer or Rheingans is toast.

Valentine grabbed Rheingans and again went to whip Rheingans into the post but Rheingans reversed and sent Valentine crashing into the post shoulder-first, Crowd popped as Valentine stumbled forward grabbing his shoulder. Ref counting. Valentine walking around ringside grabbing his left arm. Rheingans came up behind Valentine and spun Valentine around and slammed Valentine's head into the ring apron three times. Ref counting. Rheingans threw Valentine back into the ring. Rheingans quickly shook out the effects of the match and followed Valentine into the ring. Valentine up and Rheingans caught Valentine with a kick to the gut and then caught Greg in a side headlock. After a brief struggle, Valentine countered with a belly-to-back suplex to free himself from the hold. Both men up and Valentine popped Rheingans with a bionic elbow followed by a suplex. Valentine ran and hit the ropes and came off with a running elbow smash but Rheingans rolled out of the way and Valentine crashed to the mat, Both men up and Rheingans stunned Valentine by taking Valentine over in a crucifix takedown for the pin. 1...2... Valentine kicked out. Crowd groaned, Both men up and Rheingans caught Valentine in a small package for the pin. 1...2...thr... Valentine kicked out. More crowd groaning. Both men up and Rheingans went to stun Valentine with a cutter but Valentine shoved Rheingas off and Rheingans slammed front-first into the buckles. Rheingans spun around in the corner and Valentine blasted Rheingans with a stiff series of forearms to the chest. Valentine then grabbed Rheingans' left arm and slammed it into the ring bolt that connects the top buckle with the post. Valentine repeated the move. Rheingans left arm hurting. Valentine then caught Rheingans in a wristlock that did Rheingans' arm no favors as Valentine twisted the arm around with the wrist burn. Valentine flipped Rheingans over and down to the mat with a wrist burn and Rheingans responded by kicking Valentine in the gut with both feet from his back. Valentine fell back against the ropes. Rheingans up and whipped Valentine into the ropes and caught Valentine coming off with a high backdrop. Valentine crashed to the mat. Valentine up and Rheingans caught Valentine with a hip toss. Valentine up and Rheingans grabbed Valentine and slammed valentine's head into the top buckle repeatedly. Valentine leaned front-first against the buckles. Rheingans popped Vall=entine with forearms to the back, pulled Valentine out of the corner and nailed Valentine with a belly-to-back suplex. Rheingans then grabbed Valentine's left leg and caught Valentine in a grapevine submission hold. Crowd popped.

Pedicino: Rheingans can be extremely dangerous when locking in a hold like this.

Valentine in dire pain trying not to submit. Crowd cheering for Brad. Rheingans cinched up on the hold.

Dundee: Valentine's gotta think of his left leg here! Rheingans could do serious permanent damage if he doesn't counter this hold soon!

Valentine struggling and in great pain. Valentine desperately maneuvering towards the ropes. Valentine tried to get a hand on the bottom rope but Rheingans cinched up on the hold and Valentine just missed grabbing the rope. How long could Valentine withstand the pain. Valentine started to weaken from the pain. In one last desperate attempt, Valentine was finally able to grab the bottom rope to force a break in the hold. Valentine rolled out on the apron and dropped to the floor. Ref ordered Rheingans back and Rheingans did as told. Ref counting. Valentine hobbling. Valentine up on the apron and Brad went to grab Valentine and Valentine dropped back to the floor. Valentine turned away from the ring and Rheingans ignored the ref, reached down over the top rope and grabbed Valentine by the hair. Valentine spun around facing the ring while Rheingans had a hold of his hair. Valentine reached in the ring and pulled Brad's legs out from under him and Brad crashed to the mat. Valentine grabbed Brad's legs and pulled them out of the ring so they hung over the apron. Valentine grabbed Rheingans' left leg and repeatedly slammed the back of the knee area into the apron. Brad in great pain as he scooted back into the ring. Ref counting but Valentine climbed back in the ring and broke the count. Brad started to get to his feet and Valentine kicked Brad in the left knee area and Brad crumpled back to the mat. Crowd buzzing like a bad cat converter. Valentine grabbed Brad's left leg and yanked on it repeatedly and then locked Brad in the figure four. Brad in tremendous pain trying not to submit. Valentine cinched up on the hold. Crowd urging on Brad. Brad started scooting towards the ropes but was stopped in his tracks as Valentine cinched up even more on the hold. Brad fought through the pain and was finally able to scoot over and grab the middle rope to force a break in the hold. Valentine up and stomped the left leg. Valentine snapped up Rheingans, whipped Rheingans into the ropes and looked to catch Rheingans coming off with a high backdrop but Rheingans instead caught Valentine in a front facelock and hit his fisherman suplex into a bridgeout finisher for the pin. 1...2...3! NO! Valentine got a shoulder up. Crowd groaned. Rheingans up and went to pull up Valentine but Valentine caught Brad with a throat jab. Brad turned away from Valentine and grabbed his throat. Valentine rolled Brad up from behind. 1... Valentine grabbed a handful of tights. ...2...3! NO! Brad managed to kick Valentine off. Both men up and Valentine hit a gut kick on Rheingans followed by a series of elbows to the back of the neck. Valentine then went to hoist Brad up for a suplex but Brad wriggled free and dropped to his feet behind Valentine. Valentine turned and Brad went to hit Valentine with a cutter but Valentine again shoved Brad off. Brad turned and Valentine nailed Brad with a kick to the gut followed by a piledriver.

Pedicino: This has to be it!

Dundee: Hallelujah! Valentine will be the champ once again!

Valentine for the pin. 1...2... Brad got his foot on the bottom rope. Ref patted Valentine on the back and Valentine got up thinking he'd won the match. Ref told Valentine he had not won the match. Ref pointed to Rheingans' foot on the bottom rope. Valentine furious and picked up on a mic.

Valentine: So, you see his foot on the rope but not mine! Are you being paid off?!

As
Valentine and the ref had words, Brad recovered in the ring. Brad painfully to his feet. Valentine turned back to Brad and walked right into a cutter from Brad. Crowd exploded. Valentine crashed to the mat. Brad for the cover. 1...2... Valentine got his foot on the bottom rope. ...3! Crowd in orbit. Ref was about to call for the bell and saw Valentine's foot on the bottom rope. Brad jumping up and down thinking he'd won. Fans roaring. Ref waved off the pin. Brad shocked. Valentine up behind Brad and clubbed Brad's previous worked over left arm with a double sledge. Brad in serious pain. Valentine then applied the keylock arm bar on Brad and Brad was only in the hold for a few seconds before submitting. Ref called for the bell as most of the crowd booed. Valentine took liberties and kept Brad locked in the hold for several seconds before releasing the hold. Brad dropped to his knees grabbing his left arm.

Valentine threw his arms defiantly in the air.

Ref went over and talked with Nelson and took the belt. Ref handed the belt to Valentine and raised his hand in victory.

Nelson: In a time of 17 minutes, 13 seconds, your winner... and once again Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion... Greg 'The Hammer' Valentine!

Loud boos and some trash tossed at the champ as he arrogantly went and stood on the middle buckle and held the belt aloft as the program ended.

WINNER:
Valentine - Submission - 17:13

(Match would have been edited for TV time.)

END PROGRAM

Raider Nation

Reaction score
1706821815930.png

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING SYNDICATED PROGRAM - CASPER EVENTS CENTER - CASPER, WY - JULY 1990

(# Aired on a previous AWA program. Also highlighted in bold)

(2nd Taping)

Show Intro

In-Studio
: Larry Nelson welcomed viewers and ran down the program:

TV MAIN EVENT: Col. DeBeers vs. Billy Jack Haynes

Nikita Koloff sees action

AWA WOMEN'S WORLD TITLE: Magnificent Mimi (w/ Valerie) vs. Lioness Asuka (from All-Japan Pro Wrestling)

A look at the end of last week's match between Sam Houston and Ninja Go

Bob Orton vs. Don Muraco

And more!!!

Ken Patera won a squash match over Pete Doherty via submission with his swinging full nelson finisher

Patera came down the face aisle to a solid crowd reax.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Bischoff:
You worked as a single tonight. But you and Brad Rheingans are running hot as a tag team once again.

Patera: We are, Larry. It's full speed ahead for Patera and Rheingans on the tag team front. We are gunning for those tag team championships held by the Destruction Crew.

Bloom and Enos have been the champs for over a year now. That's impressive.

But each passing day brings them one day closer to the end of their reign as champs.

There are a lot of good teams here in the AWA. And the Destruction Crew is bound to stumble on one of these occasions and new champions will emerge.

Me and Brad are in the mix and intend to stay there.

This is...

A man walked down the heel aisle to ringside.

Pedicino: What does this guy want?

Dundee: Might want an autographed copy of Joe Pedicino's book on weight loss!

Pediucino: Smatass! You better be careful! I might just sign a copy of that book while sitting on you!

Dundee: Yikes!

The man waved Bischoff over by the ropes. Bischoff went over and the man handed Bischoff the envelope and walked away.

Bischoff walked back up to Patera.

Bischoff: This is for you.

Nelson handed the envelope to Patera.

Patera opened the envelope and read the contents inside.

Patera looked around.

Bischoff: Can I ask what the note says?

Patera (concerned look on his face): I gotta go.

Patera left the ring and headed back up the face aisle as the crowd buzzed and Bischoff looked on puzzled.

In-studio: Nelson said Patera looked worried once he received whatever was in that envelope. Wonder if it was something from Valerie.

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... MURACO VS. ORTON!!!

Commercials

Don Muraco vs. Bob Orton

Muraco came down the face aisle to a strong ovation.

Orton came down the heel aisle to loud boos.

Good match between two vets who were once tag partners in the WWF.

Announcers discussed Muraco's return from being assaulted with a medical device by Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey at WrestleRock.

End of the match saw Orton on the offensive. Orton battered Muraco with punches finished off by an uppercut. Orton grabbed Muraco and went to hoist Muraco up for the piledriver but Muraco blocked the move, reached down and pulled Orton's legs out from under him and Orton crashed to the mat. Muraco catapaulted Orton towards the corner. Orton's head slammed into the top buckle and Orton staggered back and crashed to the mat. Crowd popped. Muraco gestured it was time for his inverted piledriver finisher. Muraco snapped up Orton and nailed him with his finisher. Muraco covered Orton and hooked the leg. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the fans cheered. Muraco up and the ref raised his hand in victory.

WINNER: Muraco - Pinfall - 5:23

Video of the attack on Sam Houston by Akio Sato andNinja Go and Dick Murdoch getting involved on Sam's side aired with the caption: NEXT... BRAWLING 101!!!

In-studio: Nelson intro'd footage from the end of last week's ASWmatch where Ninja Go and Akio Sato attacked Sam Houston and Sam's coach Dick Murdoch came to Sam's aid.

VIDEO:

# End of the match saw Go on the offensive. Go worked Sam over and went to whip Sam into the corner but Sam reversed and sent Go crashing into the buckles. Sam charged in and popped Go with a dropkick. Sam up and grabbed Go in a side headlock. Sam nailed Go with the running bulldog to a crowd pop. As that was going on, Sato snuck over and struck Murdoch from behind. Sam for the cover. 1...2... Sato hit the ring and booted Sam. Ref called for the bell. Sato attacking Sam. Go recovered and joined in the attack. Murdoch recovered at ringside and climbed into the ring and joined in the fray. All four men were brawling with one another. Ref again called for the bell to no avail. The brawl spilled out onto the floor and two teams brawled back up the face aisle to the back to roars of the hot Wyoming crowd.

END VIDEO

In-Studio:
Nelson intro'd comments from Sato and Go to be followed by comments from Houston and Murdoch.

VIDEO:

Video opened with a shot of Sato and the masked Go, 8in their ring attire, standing in front of the AWA logo. Go was silent and Sato's Japanese words were translated into English by a voice-over translator.

# Sato: The Japanese are a very proud people. Losing to someone like Sam Houston is unacceptable for a wrestler the caliber of Ninja Go. Back in Japan, Go would have had to face the wrath of the people of the rising sun.

The match had to be stopped because of the shame that would have resulted from losing to Sam Houston. I make no apologies in looking out for my partner. Ninja Go is a hero in Japan. His face is everywhere. It's on buses and billboards and trains. People buy up all the wrestling magazines when his picture is on the cover. He is representative of Japanese greatness.

And I could not let that greatness be blemished by a man like Sam Houston. I did the right thing not just for Go and myself, but also for the people of Japan.

Pic flipped and Houston and Murdoch, in their street clothes and each was holding a mic and standing in front of the AWA logo.

Murdoch: You know, if there's one thing I've always told Sam as his coach, it's that you have to stand or fall on your own in this sport. You win or lose on your own in the ring.

Well, Sam had Ninja Go beat when he hit him with his running bulldog finisher. But, Akio Sato had to interfere and take away a pinfall win from Sam.

I could not stand by while my man was attacked by two Kamikazes. I had to get involved and a brawl ensued. I felt like it was 1985 and I was at the height of my career all over again. I loved a good, old fashioned slobber knocker, but I did not expect to be in one now.

So, I've discussed it with Sam here. And I'm gonna come out of retirement for one match. We want Akio Sato and Ninja Go in that ring!

Sam: Akio Sato! You should have just stayed in your man's corner and let things play out in the ring! You should have let Go rise or fall on his own! But, you could not do that, could you?!

Coach Murdoch talked with me about coming out of retirement! He's one of the best of all time in the ring! I welcome him being my partner!

President Bockwinkel! I know you're watching! Please! Please! Please! Make the match!

We want Sato and Go inside the ring as soon as possible!

END VIDEO

In-studio: Nelson said to expect comments from Prez Bockwinkel regarding this match in the coming weeks.

Pic aired of Nikita Koloff with the caption: NEXT... NIKITA!!!

Commercials

Nikita Koloff won a squash match over The Cubdan Assassin via pinfall with his Russian sickle finisher

Nikita came to the ring down the to a strong ovation from the crowd.

During the match, announcers discussed Nikita wanting to talk to DeBeers about DeBeers' America-hating ways.

In-studio: Nelson said he expects Nikita to make a serious impact in the AWA.

Nelson then intro'd comments from the combatants in the main event, Col. DeBeers and Billy Jack Haynes.

VIDEO:

Billy Jack Haynes was standing in street clothes with mic in hand in front of the AWA logo.

Billy: Col. DeBeers, we're no strangers to each other.

We know each other very well from our time wrestling in the Pacific Northwest. We had wars up there and now the war has come to the AWA.

We can read each other like a book. We know each other's moves.

The sport of pro wrestling is human chess and we play it at an advanced level against one another.

But, there's no love lost between us. This is gonna be one helluva fight in Casper, Wyoming.

The winner is gonna be the last man standing.

Pic flipped and DeBeers, in his ring attire and beret and holding a mic, was standing in front of the AWA logo.

DeBeers:
Billy Jack Haynes! We've had many a battle throughout Oregon and Washington and some of them have been extremely brutal!

Now, the world gets to see us fight one another here in the AWA!

I've never liked you, Billy! In my book, you're a no good American dolt of the highest order!

You fit right in with the Northwest hicks and slobs! Why, you're their hero and deservedly so!

And I'm sure the country will fall in love with you as well because you're a flag-waving, apple pie gobbling American buffoon!

Our struggle has now come to the AWA!

And it doesn't bode well for the man who worships the red, white and blue!

END VIDEO

Split-screen pic aired of Mimi (WC) and Asuka with the caption: NEXT... USA VS. JAPAN!!!

AWA WOMEN'S WORLD TITLE MATCH:
Magnificent Mimi (WC - w/ Valerie) vs. Lioness Asuka (All Japan Women's Wrestling)

Asuka came to the ring to very little crowd response down the face aisle.

Announcers pointed out she was one half of a top tag team duo in Japan called the Crush Gals.

Mimi and Val came down the heel aisle to strong boos.

Once in the ring, Mimi strutted around holding the belt aloft for all to see.

After the initial pre-match formalities, the ref called for the bell.

Mimi came out of her corner and went to dropkick Asuka but Asuka ole'd Mimi. Mimi crashed to the mat. Mimi to her feet and Asuka nailed Mimi with a wheel kick. Mimi crashed back to the mat. Asuka grabbed Mimi's legs and performed the giant leg swing on the champ and let Mimi go and Asuka dived on Mimi for the pin. 1...2... Mimi kicked out. Crowd warming up to the Japan star. Asuka grabbed Mimi as Mimi was getting up and whipped Mimi into the ropes and Mimi caught the top rope, dropped to the mat and rolled out of the ring and dropped to the floor. Valerie came over to talk to the clearly shaken champ.

Crockett: Looks like Mimi was not expecting this, Jack.

Reynolds: That's an understatement.

Mimi cautiously made her way back up on the apron. Asuka went to go after Mimi but Mimi yelled at the ref.

Mimi: Get her back! Get her back!

Asuka threw up her hands and backed off.

Mimi cautiously made her way back into the ring. The pair circled one another and engaged in a collar-and-elbow tie-up and Asuka drove Mimi into the corner and the ref called for a break. Break was clean. Mimi went to kick Asuka and Asuka grabbed Mimi's leg, took Mimi down and turned Mimi over in a single leg crab. Crowd now really into a woman they barely knew a few minutes earlier. Mimi fighting through the pain and trying not to submit. Mimi started inching towards the ropes locked in the hold. Just as she got her hand on the bottom rope, Asuka dragged her away from the rope still locked in the hold. Mimi in agony. Crowd cheering for Asuka. Val, in a panic, jumped up on the apron. Ref went over and ordered Val off and Val had words with the ref. Asuka with the hold still locked in on Mimi. Asuka saw what was going on and went over and looked at Val and the ref. Mimi made it up behind Asuka. Val still on the apron. Mimi dropkicked Asuka from behind and Asuka crashed into Val and Val crashed to the floor. Mimi rolled the stunned Asuka up from behind for the pin. 1...2... Asuka reached up and grabbed Mimi and reversed the roll-up. 1...2...3! NO! Mimi kicked Asuka off. Crowd groaned. Both women up and Mimi charged in and hit Asuka with a series of forearms to the chest. Mimi whipped Asuka into the ropes and caught Asuka coming off with a gut punch. Mimi suplexed Asuka and then hit her with a diving splash for the cover. 1...2... Asuka kicked out. Shot of Val recovering on the floor. Asuka up and Mimi struck with a series of forearm shivers to the side of the head. Mimi whipped Asuka into the ropes and looked to catch her coming off with a high backdrop but Asuka instead tried to sunset flip Mimi. Mimi briefly struggled before being sunset flipped for the pin. 1...2... Mimi kicked out. Crowd groaned. Asuka grabbed Mimi and whipped Mimi into the corner. Asuka charged in and Mimi got her knees up and Asuka slammed into them. Asuka stumbled back holding her chest. Mimi moved in and caught Asuka with a knee lift. Asuka crashed to the mat, rolled out on the apron and crashed to the floor. Ref ordered Mimi back and Mimi obliged and ref started the 10-count. As the count grew, Mimi bolted the ring and, from the apron, stomped Asuka in the head. Mimi dropped to the floor and threw Asuka into the steel barricade at ringside. Asuka hurting against the barricade. Mimi quickly climbed in the ring to break the count. Mimi climbed out on the apron as the ref was counting. Mimi jumped off but Asuka got a foot up and Mimi slammed face-first into it and stumbled and fell back against the ring apron. Asuka grabbed Mimi and ran her into the ring post. Mimi stumbled forward and went down on the floor. Count growing. Asuka rolled in and out of the ring to break the count.

Mimi up and Asuka drove her back-first into the ring apron and then threw Mimi into the ring. Val in a state of panic. Asuka in. Mimi up and swung wildly at Asuka and missed and sopun herself around and Asuka caught Mimim and blasted her with a German suplex into a bridgeout for the pin. 1...2...3! NO! Mimi managed to kick out. Loud groan from the crowd or was it that really fat woman in row 2 eating 6 hot dogs with everything? Asuka snapped up Mimi and whipped Mimi into the corner. Asuka charged in and hit Mimi with a running shoulder block to the gut. Mimi in a bad way. Asuka sat Mimi on the top buckle and blasted Mimi with the iconoclasm. Crowd's mind blown.

Crockett: I've never seen that move in my life!

Reynolds: Join the club! Wow!

Asuka for the cover. 1...2...3! NO! Mimi got a shoulder up. Crowd in disbelief. Valerie beside herself at ringside.

Asuka snapped up Mimi and went to piledrive her but Mimi blocked the move and backdropped Asuka to the mat. Mimi managed to roll out of the ring and drop to the floor and have an impromptu meeting with Val as the fans booed. Mimi climbed back into the ring and charged up and jumped on Asuka and hit Asuka in the head with punches and then Mimi victory rolled Asuka. 1... Mimi used one hand to grab the ropes. ...2...3! NO! Asuka got a shoulder up. Mimi up and put the boots to Asuka. Mimi snapped up Asuka and bodyslammed Asuka. Mimi climbed out on the apron and mounted the top rope. Asuka up and Mimi came off with a missle dropkick that connected. Surely, this was it. Mimi for the cover on the prone Asuka. 1...2...thr... Asuka kicked out. Crowd cheering. Mimi snapped Asuka up and and went to whip Asuka into the ropes but Asuka reversed and caught Mimi coming off with a fireman's carry. Asuka held Mimi there for a moment and then pulverized the champ with a Samoan drop. Asuka for the cover and hooked the leg. 1...2...3! NO! Mimi kicked out. Crowd wanting an Asuka title win. Asuka snapped Mimi up and went to whip Mimi into the ropes but Mimi reversed and caught Asuka coming off with a back elbow to the chest. Asuka stunned. Mimi with some forearm smashes to the chest. Mimi whipped Asuka into the ropes and looked to catch Asuka coming off with a high backdrop but Asuka leapfrogged Mimi. Mimi spun around and was kicked by Asuka and then hoisted up in the backbreaker across the shoulders position. Asuka held Mimi there for a couple of seconds and then blasted Mimi with a Towerhacker bomb (look it up). Crowd exploded.

Crockett: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! I've never seen anything like that!

Reynolds: It looked like a backbreaker with a spin move into a sitout powerbomb! Another move to remember!

Asuka covered Mimi. 1...2... Val came over and pulled Mimi's foot out under the bottom rope. ...thr...

Val: The foot, ref! The foot!

Ref ordered a break. Crowd screaming Val interfered but the ref didn't see it.

Asuka by the ropes started yelling in Japanese at Val. Val gestured she had nothing to do with anything. Mimi struggling to make it up next to the ropes. After Asuka had words with Val, she moved in on Mimi. Asuka caught Mimi with a couple of forearms to the chest and the stunned Mimi responded by pulling Asuka's legs out from under her. Asuka crashed to the mat. Mimi for the pin. 1,.. Mimi placed her feet on the middle rope for leverage. Crowd going nuts (these Wyoming fans are either hardcore wrestling fans or really hard-up). ...2...3!
Mimi quickly took her feet off the middle rope as the ref turned away and called for the bell.

Crowd booing loudly.

Bischoff climbed up on the apron with the belt in hand. Ref took the belt and said something to Bischoff. Ref handed Mimi the belt and raised her hand in victory and MImi quickly bailed from the ring to the floor with a now happy Val.

Bischoff: In a time of 9 minutes, 52 seconds, your winner... and STILL AWA Women's World Champion... Magnificent Mimi!

More boos as Asuka stared daggers at Mimi from the ring.

Mimi arrogantly waved bye-bye to the defeated Asuka.

WINNER: Mimi - Pinfall - 9:52

In-studio: Nelson talked about Asuka giving MImi a run for her money. Said he thought she was going to win the match. Nelson said Mimi is going on a tour of Japan soon and wondered if Asuka and her would be crossing paths again.

Split-screen pic of DeBeers and Haynes with the caption: NEXT... FEUD RE-IGNITED!!!

Commercials

Tickets on sale NOW!

TV MAIN EVENT:
Col. DeBeers vs. Billy Jack Haynes

Announcers said these two had a history with each other dating back to their time in the pacific Northwest.

DeBeers came down the heel aisle to strong boos but also had his fans.

Haynes came down the face aisle to a solid ovation.

As soon as haynes stepped through the ropes, DeBeers charged over and attacked.

Ref called for the bell.

DeBeers pounded away on Haynes and slammed Haynes' head into the top buckle. Haynes spun around in the corner and DeBeers laid into Haynes with punches. DeBeers pulled Haynes out of the corner and went to whip Haynes into the ropes but Haynes reversed and caught DeBeers coming off with a clothesline. DeBeers crashed to the mat. DeBeers up and walked right into Haynes arms. Haynes hoisted DeBeers above his head and held DeBeers there for what seemed like an eternity before press slamming the Colonel. Crowd popped. Haynes snapped DeBeers up and slammed DeBeers' head into the top buckle multiple times in rapid-fire fashion. DeBeers spun around in the corner and Haynes pulverized DeBeers with a rapid-fire series of shoulder blocks to the gut. Haynes whipped DeBeers into the opposite buckles and DeBeers bounced out of the corner and Haynes bodyslammed DeBeers. Haynes snapped DeBeers up and whipped DeBeers into the ropes but the Colonel grabbed the top rope and Haynes charged in and DeBeers backdropped Haynes over the top rope and Haynes crashed to the floor.

Reynolds: Since DeBeers did not throw Haynes over the top rope he is not disqualified.

Ref ordered DeBeers to stand back and DeBeers shoved the ref aisde and left the ring and dropped to the floor. DeBeers grabbed Haynes and slammed Haynes' head three times into the ring apron. Ref counting. DeBeers whipped Haynes into the steel ringside barricade and haynes crumpled to the floor. DeBeers put the boots to the downed Haynes. Debeers rolled in and out of the ring to break the 10-count. Haynes getting up on the floor. DeBeers grabbed Haynes in a side headlock and went to ram the top of Haynes' head into the ring post but Haynes shoved DeBeers off and DeBeers crashed head first into the post and stumbled forward and went down on the floor as the fans cheered. DeBeers up and Haynes spun DeBeers around and rammed DeBeers back-first into the apron. Ref counting. Haynes grabbed DeBeers, walked DeBeers over to the timekeeper's table and slammed DeBeers' head into the table. Haynes then threw DeBeers back into the ring. Haynes climbed back in. DeBeers up and started backing up and begging off. Haynes showed no mercy and moved in and popped DeBeers with head shots and whipped Debeers into the corner. Haynes charged in and DeBeers caught Haynes with a boot to the face. Haynes crashed to the mat holding his face. DeBeers snapped Haynes up and bodyslammed Haynes. DeBeers stomped Haynes in the head three times, DeBeers backed up as a shaky Haynes got to his feet. Haynes up and DeBeers charged in and nailed Haynes with a running punch to the head. Haynes crumpled back to the mat. DeBeers for the pin. 1...2... Haynes kicked out. DeBeers caught Haynes with some head shots and snapped Haynes up. DeBeers went to whip Haynes into the ropes but Haynes reversed and caught DeBeers coming off with a shoulder block. DeBeers crashed to the mat. DeBeers up and Haynes popped DeBeers with a running clothesline that nearly took DeBeers' head off. DeBeers crashed to the mat, rolled out of the ring and dropped to the floor. The stunned DeBeers tried to leave the ringside area and head back up the heel aisle but Haynes followed and spun DeBeers around and nailed DeBeers with a punch and grabbed the back of DeBeers' hair and walked Debeers back to the ringside area and slammed DeBeers' head into the ring steps. DeBeers leaned over the top step. Haynes quickly rolled in and out of the ring to break the ref's 10-count. DeBeers peeled himself off the top step and Haynes grabbed DeBeers and repeatedly slammed his head into the top of the barricade. Ref counting. Haynes grabbed DeBeers and went to whip DeBeers into the ring apron but Haynes reversed and sent Haynes crashing back-first into the apron. Haynes down to a knee. DeBeers climbed up on the ring apron and stomped Haynes in the top of the head. Haynes down on the floor. DeBeers quickly climbed in and out of the ring to break the count. DeBeers on the floor. Haynes to a knee and DeBeers caught Haynes with a couple of head shots and went to whip Haynes into the ringside barricade but Haynes reversed and sent DeBeers crashing into the barricade. Haynes charged in on DeBeers and DeBeers moved and Haynes slammed front-first in the barricade.

Crockett: If you were looking for Lou Thesz vs. Pat O' Connor, this is not the match for you!

DeBeers peeled Haynes off the barricade and threw Haynes back into the ring. DeBeers climbed up on the apron and mounted the top buckle as Haynes got to his feet. DeBeers came off with a double axe handle to the top of the head but Haynes instead caught DeBeers with a gut punch. Crowd popping like fireworks. DeBeers and Haynes then engaged in a punch exchange and Haynes got the better of it and whipped DeBeers towards the corner. DeBeers slammed hard, front-first into the buckles, bounced back and crashed to the mat. Haynes signaled it was time for the full nelson. Crowd eating it up. DeBeers to his feet facing away from Haynes and Haynes moved in and locked DeBeers in the full nelson. DeBeers in trouble and trying desperately to escape Haynes' clutches. Haynes not giving an inch. Cheers turned to boos as Rip Oliver charged down the heel aisle in his ring attire, hit the ring and jumped Haynes from behind. Ref called for the bell. Haynes lost his grip on DeBeers. Rip hammered away on Haynes and DeBeers recovered quickly and joined in the beating. Crowd popped as Scott Norton charged down the face aisle and hit the ring. DeBeers and Oliver bailed to the safety of the floor as an enraged Norton glared at the evil pair from the ring. Haynes recovered enough and the two were now daring DeBeers and Oliver to get back in the ring as the crowd roared and the program ended.

WINNER: Haynes - DQ - 7:21

END PROGRAM

Raider Nation

Reaction score

(PREVIOUS POST: All-Star Wrestling. MAIN EVENT: Col. DeBeers vs. Billy Jack Haynes.)

AWA TRIBUTE TO VERNE GAGNE SHOW RESULTS (Same in each city.)

ST. PAUL CIVIC CENTER - ST. PAUL, MN - JULY 19 - ATTENDANCE: 12,244 (Largest AWA crowd since WrestleRock '86.*)

UIC PAVILION - CHICAGO, IL - JULY 20 - ATTENDANCE: 7,618

AWA WORLD TITLE MATCH: Wahoo McDaniel (WC) vs. Col. DeBeers - Wahoo retained via pinfall when DeBeers untied the top turnbuckle pad and DeBeers looked slam Wahoo's head into the exposed steel and Wahoo reversed and slammed DeBeers head into the exposed steel and caught DeBeers in a small package for the pin

NWA WORLD TITLE MATCH: Sting (WC) def. Great Muta via submission with the Scorpion leglock

VERNE GAGNE TRIBUTE

Guest of Honor: Verne Gagne (Verne was presented with a special plaque by the mayor of St. Paul and the AWA presented Verne with a painting by Kosmo Kramer of Verne wearing the AWA World Title. In Chicago, Verne was presented with a special red, white and blue ring jacket that had the words 'Mr. AWA' written across the back,)

Guest Speakers: President Nick Bockwinkel, Crusher, Billy Robinson, Greg Gagne and Baron Von Raschke

AWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Destruction Crew (WTTC) def. Brad Rheingans & Ken Patera when Bloom pinned Patera after a hard hat shot to the back of the head after Valerie showed up at ringside and distracted Patera as Rheingans and Enos brawled on the floor and distracted the ref

PRO WRESTLING HERITAGE CHAMPIONSHIP: Greg Valentine (PWHC) def. The Trooper via pinfall when he reversed a roll-up by Trooper and held the Trooper's tights

AWA WOMEN'S WORLD TITLE MATCH: Magnificent Mimi (WC - w/ Valerie) and Tina Moretti wrestled to a 15-minute time-limit draw

Nikita Koloff def. Bob Orton via pinfall with his Russian Sickle finisher

Kokina Maximus (w/ Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey but no Masked Doc (He was called into surgery! ) def. the Guerrero Bros. via pinfall when he pinned both men after avalanching Hector and dragging the battered Mondo over placing him on top of his brother. Kokina pinned them with one foot on the back of Mondo.)

(* Don't know if that's accurate. But, for the sake of the storyline it is here.)​

gagnes-later-years-1666899986.jpg.e8ddabd34c7fe408946cfa0fc68ca2fc.jpg

THANK YOU, VERNE

Raider Nation

Reaction score
JULY 1990

AWA HQ - ST. LOUIS PARK, MN

CONFERENCE CALL

ON THE CALL: All owners of Triumph Media Sports (Crockett, Watts, Jarrett, Harry & Waters)

After the initail pleasantries and casual convo got finished it was on to business. TV business to be exact.

Bill: Deb and John, how'd the latest meeting go with ESPN?

John: It went better. We finally got ESPN to concede to our demand that we be pre-empted no more than five times a year in the regular slot they put us in

Deb: But there was a catch to it.

Jim: What's that?

Deb: For a weeknight, it would be a late night start time of 10 or 11pm eastern.

Bill: Did they say anything about Saturday or Sunday?

John: Those could be problematic because of baseball and college and pro football.

Bill: Shit

John: That's what Deb said on the call. She said shit.

Everyone tittered.

Jerry: Right now, new episodes of rhe AWA usually air at like four or five in the afternoon eastern time on Wednesdays. That means one or two out west. We need something later than that. Something along the lines of Primetime Wrestling*.

Deb: We'd most likely have to move off ESPN for something like that.

Jim: What's up with VH1 and MTV?

John: I think MTV is out. I think Vince McMahon may have leaned on them in some fashion. But, VH1 is offering a more concrete timeslot but for smaller money than ESPN.

Bill: How much lower?

Deb: About 20 percent less per year than we'd make with ESPN.

Jerry: That can be a fairly sizable loss of revenue right there.

Jim: What is ESPN looking at as a contract length?

Deb: Two years. VH1 is offering three years.

ESPN is also offering us a two-hour Christmas special for December of this year.

Jim: We need to get to work booking an arena and coming up with a theme for the show.

Bill: Does signing a new contract have anything to do with the December special?

John: No. They are exclusive to one another.

Jim: We'll have Eric book an arena for us. Have they given a date?

John: First or second week of December is all we know right now.

Bill: Is VH1 offering us just a weekly slot or would we also do occasional specials on their network?

Deb: Right now, it's just a weekly timeslot.

Jerry: You know, ESPN's deal may be a little more tricky. But, they are offering two specials a year and more money. I say gamble and take
their offer.

Jim: I think we should wait and see what else we can get out of a deal with VH1.

Bill: I agree with Jim.

John: We're due to talk with VH1 in a couple of weeks. We'll see what we can do there.

Jerry: What about merchandising?

Deb: We're looking to get a TV deal solidified before we turn to that arena.

Jim: OK. Sounds good.

John: Ending the call on a good note. We are seeing a rise in stations around the country wanting our syndicated program.

Bill: That's great news.

Jerry: It is.

Deb: We'll keep you guys posted on the TV situation.

The parties said their goodbyes and Watts, Crockett and Jarrett stayed on the phone and talked with one another.

What happens to the AWA if the cable deal falls through???

STAY TUNED...

Raider Nation

Reaction score
1706821357864.png

(3rd Taping)

Show Intro

TV MAIN EVENT: Badd Co. (w/ DDP) & Jonnie Stewart vs. Tommy Jammer, Tom Zenk & Sam Houston (w/ Coach Murdoch)

Former AWA WC Jerry Lawler makes an appearance

A look back at the end of the Col. DeBeers vs. Billy Jack Haynes match from ASW last week PLUS! comments from President Bockwinkel

Another message from the masked mystery man who keeps costing the Trooper matches

The Trooper laces 'em up

Tina Moretti shows off some girl power

And more!!!

Nelson sent it to the ring in Las Vegas

Shot of a stretcher at ringside.

Kokina Maximus won a squash match over Pete Sanchez via pinfall with his Bonzai Drop (ass drop to the chest) finisher

Kokina, mgr. Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey and the Masked Doc came down the heel aisle to strong boos.

Typical Kokina lopsided destruction.

After the match, as the Masked Doc checked on Sanchez and Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey congratulated Kokina on his win, promoter Jim Crockett made his way down the face aisle to the ring to a modest response.

Crockett climbed in the ring and gestured for the ring mic and Larry Nelson handed it to him.

Crockett: Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey, at WrestleRock a few weeks ago, you violently assaulted Don Muraco after his match with your man Kokina Maximus.

I am out here to inform you that you will be facing Don Muraco in a match...

Kaissey walked up to Crockett.

kaissey: I'm a manager now. I'm retired. No longer active.

Crockett: Well then, you're being un-retired.

Crowd popped.

Crockett: Sheik, you will be wrestling Don Muraco in a match where Kokina Maximus will not be able to interfere.

You'll be facing Muraco... inside a steel cage!

Crowd popped.

Sheik beside himself. Kokina wanted to go after Crockett.

Crockett: Keep your man back unless you want another stipulation added to the match.

Kaissey: This is outrageous! You can't do this!

Crockett: I can and I did. Goodnight, Sheik!

Crowd popped as Crockett handed off the mic to Nelson and left the ring.

Sheik had words off-mic with the Masked Doc as Kokina loaded his defeated foe on the stretcher.

Video aired of the match between Haynes and DeBeers where Oliver hit the ring and attacked Haynes with the caption: NEXT... NORTHWEST CONNECTION!!!

Commercials

In-studio: Nelson intro'd footage from the end of last week's DeBeers-Haynes match from ASW. Said DeBeers and Haynes knew each other from their days in Pacific Northwest (Portland) wrestling and both are now in the AWA.

VIDEO:

# DeBeers and Haynes then engaged in a punch exchange and Haynes got the better of it and whipped DeBeers towards the corner. DeBeers slammed hard, front-first into the buckles, bounced back and crashed to the mat. Haynes signaled it was time for the full nelson. Crowd eating it up. DeBeers to his feet facing away from Haynes and Haynes moved in and locked DeBeers in the full nelson. DeBeers in trouble and trying desperately to escape Haynes' clutches. Haynes not giving an inch. Cheers turned to boos as Rip Oliver charged down the heel aisle in his ring attire, hit the ring and jumped Haynes from behind. Ref called for the bell. Haynes lost his grip on DeBeers. Rip hammered away on Haynes and DeBeers recovered quickly and joined in the beating. Crowd popped as Scott Norton charged down the face aisle and hit the ring. DeBeers and Oliver bailed to the safety of the floor as an enraged Norton glared at the evil pair from the ring. Haynes recovered enough and the two were now daring DeBeers and Oliver to get back in the ring as the crowd roared.

END VIDEO

In-studio:
Nelson intro'd comments from AWA Prez Nick Bockwinkel.

VIDEO:

Bockwinkel was seated behind his desk with a mic in front of him.

Nick: Hello. This is President Nick Bockwinkel.

The Pacific Northwest has a long and storied history of professional wrestling. Long-time promoter Don Owen has given fans lots of great memories over the decades.

Wrestlers like Roddy Piper, David Schultz, Dutch Savage, 'Tough' Tony Borne and his son 'Maniac' Matt Borne, Don Leo Johnathan. Bull Ramos, The Sheepherders and countless others wrestled along the Seattle-Portland corridor. Fans have been treated over the years to some of the most exciting wrestling to be found anywhere.

Col. DeBeers also made a name for himself in the northwest. Recently, Billy Jack Haynes and Scott Norton arrived in the AWA after a stint in the northwest. And Rip Oliver, also a northwest mainstay, has arrived in the AWA as well. These are some of the men northwest wrestling has to offer our great sport today.

Last week, on All-Star Wrestling, fans were trested to a match between long-time northwest rivals Billy Jack Haynes and Col. DeBeers. The match was a brawl. The old hatreds rose to the surface when these men locked up.

At the end of the match, Haynes had DeBeers locked in his full nelson submission hold.

Rip Oliver hit the ring and interfered on behalf of DeBeers, forcing referee Mick Karch to end the match. Haynes' partner, Scott Norton, came to the ring to help Billy Jack.

In light of what happened at the end of that match, I am ordering a tag team match pitting Col. DeBeers and Rip Oliver against Billy Jack Haynes and Scott Norton. The match will take place right here next week on AWA Championship Wrestling on ESPN.

This match promises to be a wild affair as these men harbor no love for one another. They've brought the fighting spirit of the Pacific Northwest with them to the AWA. And next week that fighting spirit will be on display for all to see on a national basis.

I'm President Nick Bockwinkel. Thank you for your time.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of Tina Moretti with the caption: NEXT... FUTURE CHAMP???!!!

Commercials/AWA Tour Updates

Tina Moretti won a squash match via pinfall over Linda Dallas with her Samoan Driver finisher

Moretti came to the ring to a strong ovation.

Announcers played up Moretti being a rising star and potential serious threat to Mimi's title reign.

Pic aired of the masked mystery man with the caption: NEXT... ANOTHER MESSAGE!!!

Commercials

In-studio:
Nelson intro'd footage from the end of the Trooper vs. Manny Fernandez from a few weeks ago on the AWA on ESPN where the masked mystery man cost Trooper another match.

VIDEO:

# Trooper waited for Manny to get up. Manny up and Trooper hit Manny with a flying shoulder tackle. Manny crashed to the mat. Masked Mystery Man came through the crowd quickly and jumped up on the apron. Ref distracted with masked man. Ref went over and ordered masked man off the apron but masked man had words with the ref. Crowd yelling for the ref to turn around as Trooper had Manny covered. Trooper slapped the mat three times in frustration. Trooper got off Manny and went over to where the ref and masked mystery man were. Trooper grabbed the masked man and started shaking him with the ref caught in between the two. From the other side of the arena, another masked mystery man made his way through the crowd and to ringside. Both masked men dressed the same. Ref went down being caught between Trooper and the other masked man. On the floor, masked man pulled out a baggie and poured a white powder into his hand. Trooper was able to punch the other masked man and slammed his head into the ring bolt that connects the post to the turnbuckle and the masked man cashed to the floor. The other masked man had climbed up on the apron. Ref still down and Manny recovering. Trooper saw the other masked man and walked in his direction and the masked man threw the powder in Trooper's eyes. Trooper blinded. Masked man fled the scene through the crowd. Manny recovered enough to roll Trooper up from behind and grab the tights. Ref recovered and crawled over. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the crowd booed. The other masked man was able to recover and escape through the crowd. Manny up and the ref raised his hand in victory. Trooper rolled over on his side and had his hands over his eyes.

END VIDEO

In-studio:
Nelson intro'd another message from the masked mystery man. The messages are sent to the AWA offices from an undisclosed location.

VIDEO:

Masked mystery man was standing in front of a black wall and was in his mask, street clothes and fingerless black gloves. He had a 2x4 in one hand and a mic in the other. His voice was distorted.

Masked Man: Trooper! Did you enjoy what happened to you against Manny Fernandez?! Hahaha!

I felt you needed a makeover, and while not a make-up artist myself, I think I did a pretty good job. What did you think?!

Holy smokes! Another masked man showed up in the arena that night as well! Who was that?! Did I know him?! Is that the only time you'll ever see him? Who knows what the future holds, Trooper.

You're wrestling in main events... and losing. You'll be back to opening match status if that keeps up.

You and I know each other, Trooper. We met only briefly. But, I've never forgotten that encounter. And now you're paying for it. And you will continue to pay at my hands until I'm satisfied. Hint: I'm not satisfied yet.

We'll meet again, Trooper. Who knows where I could strike next. You need to grow eyes on in the back and sides of your head, pal. Things are only going to escalate.

And throwing powder in your face; putting you out with ether; and hitting you in the back with a 2x4 will be the least of your worries moving forward.

See you soon, Trooper. Enjoy the misery. Embrace the misery. Misery is becoming your new way of life.

In-studio: Nelson said the masked mystery man is now threatening to take things to another level and make things even worse. Wondered what he has in store for the Trooper.

Pic aired of the Trooper with the caption: NEXT... TROOPER TOUGH!!!

Commercials

The Trooper won a squash match over Rusty Brooks via pinfall with his flying shoulder tackle finisher

Trooper came to the ring down the face aisle to a nice ovation. He handed out souvenir speeding tix to the fans on the way to the ring.

Announcers wondered if the masked man was gonna show up once again.

Dundee:
I really enjoy the mystery man because he's such a creative guy. Boards. Ether rags. Make-up. It's like the guy has a never ending bag of tricks. Big thumbs up for creativity.

Pedicino: Sometimes, Bill, you're really disgusting.

Dundee: If liking creative thinking outside the box makes me disgusting then it's a badge I wear proudly.

Pedicino (exasperated): Unbelievable.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson:
Trooper, it looks like the masked man is not here. I know during the match that I was looking around to see if he was gonna show up. I saw a lot of fans also had their heads on a swivel.

Trooper: Larry, this man says he says some sort of issue with me.

Well, I'll tell you what, mystery meat! Why don't you show up here like a man, take off the mask, and let's discuss whatever problem you have with me!

Right now, you've cost me three big matches! You somehow get into the arena and come through the crowd and do your business and flee! Why run away, mister! Fight me face-to-face!

The mystery man might be sitting in this crowd tonight, Larry, just watching the wrestling! We have no idea! He could be here in the front row for all we know!

Nelson: Has he gotten into your head?

Trooper: I've got a job to do so I try to not let it bother me! But, I would be lying if I said I wasn't on high alert looking for the guy and wondering where he'll strike next!

We need a match with each other, Larry! The AWA needs to find out who this guy is and force his hand!

Crowd cheered.

Trooper: Let's settle this once and for all like men!

More cheering.

Pic aired of Jerry Lawler with the caption: NEXT... THE KING COMETH!!!

Commercials

Tickets on sale NOW!

In-ring:

Larry Nelson was standing center ring with mic in hand.

Nelson: Would you please welcome back to the AWA... Jerry 'The King' lawler!

Crowd popped as royal coronation music played and Lawler came down the face aisle in street clothes and holding his crown.

Lawler stepped into the ring and acknowledged the crowd.

Nelson: Jerry, welcome back to the AWA!

More cheering.

Lawler: Larry, it's great to be back in front of these AWA fans in Vegas.

Cheering continued.

Nelson: What has the King been up to lately?

Lawler: Been doing a lot of wreslting in the southeast. I got word that the AWA was under new ownership and business was starting to pick up here so I had to check it out for myself.

Nelson: And you will be wrestling here?

Lawler: Yep. I'm gonna don the tights again here in the AWA.

Look at all the new talent here. Nikita Koloff. Barry Windham. Billy Jack Haynes and Scott Norton. You've got Reggie Bennett and Tina Moretti in the women's division. Right now, the AWA is the place to be.

Nelson: Any wrestlers you'd like to have a match with?

Lawler: One guy I'd really like to wrestle is Nikita Koloff.

Big cheer.

Nelson: That would be a dream match.

Lawler: That man is pure power wrestling and he'd be a real challenge for me. Would like to see who the better man is in the ring.

Nelson: You're a former AWA World Champion. Are you looking at going for the gold one more time?

More cheers.

Lawler laughed.

Lawler: Larry, I'm always up for a World Title match.

Fans popped at that, too.

Nelson: Something tells me we could see you in a quest for the championship once again.

Lawler: We'll see about that. But right now I'd like...

Most of the crowd booed but a seemingly growing segment cheered as Cactus Jack made his way down the heel aisle and climbed into the ring.

Nelson: Cactus Jack, this is not your interview time!

Jack: Put a cork in it, Nelson.

Jerry Lawler, I came out here because I have something to say to you.

I hate all past and present World Champions except one! Can you guess who that one is?

Lawler: Educate us.

Jack: That one World Champion is me! I've been miserable since losing the belt to Wahoo at WrestleRock a couple of months ago!

I can't sleep! I can't eat! My mind is always racing!

Seeing you, a former AWA World Champion yourself, makes me violently ill!

Jerry Lawler! You need to leave the AWA!

Lawler: Or what, Cactus?

Jack: You just need to leave, Lawler! Don;t push this matter any further! That's the only warning you're gonna get! BANG! BANG!

Jack and Lawler locked eyes for a few seconds and Jack turned and left the ring and headed back up the heel aisle to a largely negative response but also had his fans.

Nelson: It looks like Cactus Jack has a problem with you because, like him, you've been the AWA World Champion.

Lawler: Cactus Jack is one of the most unorthodox wrestlers I've ever seen. He's also dangerous because of some of the stuff he does in the ring. This sport is dangerous enough without his antics.

He has a problem with me. But, I'm just here to check out the new AWA and wrestle for the promotion that's getting hotter by the day.

Cactus, you need to go back to whatever insane asylum you came from and book yourself a padded cell and straight-jacket for a few weeks. You are delusional. I have no heat with you.

Nelson: Well, King, we're looking forward to seeing you wrestle here again on AWA Championship Wrestling!

Crowd cheered.

Lawler: Looking forward to it, Larry.

Nelson: Jerry Lawler, everybody,

More cheers.

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... 6-MAN TAG!!!

Commercials

TV MAIN EVENT:
Jonnie Stewart & Badd Co. (w/ DDP) vs. Tommy Jammer, Tom Zenk & Sam Houston (w/ Coach Murdoch)

Stewart, Badd Co. and DDP came down the heel aisle to strong boos.

Once in the ring, the quartet briefly played to the crowd to more boos.

Jammer, Zenk, Houston and Murdoch came down the face aisle to a good ovation.

Good main event as the two teams engaged in a fast-paced back-and-forth battle.

End of the match saw Stewart and Jammer the legal men in the ring. Stewart was working over Jammer and Stewart went to whip Jammer into the corner but Jammer reversed and caught Stewart bouncing out of the corner with his Jammer Slam finisher. Jammer for the pin. 1...2... Stewart managed to get a shoulder up. Crowd groaned. Jammer snapped Stewart up and Stewart caught Jammer with a series of knees to the gut, whipped Jammer into the ropes and caught Jammer coming off with a clothesline. Stewart wiped his hands together like he was finished and picked up Jammer and nailed Jammer with a sidebreaker across the knee. Stewart went out on the apron, mounted the top turnbuckle and came off with his big elbow to the chest finisher, Stewart for the cover. 1... Zenk and Houston hit the ring to break up the pin try but Badd Co. cut them off. ...2...3! Ref called for the bell. Ref raised Stewart's hand in victory.

WINNER:
Badd Co. & Stewart - Pinfall - 8:07

END PROGRAM

Raider Nation

Reaction score
1706821815930.png

(3rd Taping)

Show Intro

In-Studio

TV MAIN EVENT: Ken Patera vs. Tommy Rich

AWA World Champion Wahoo McDaniel wrestles

A look back at the end of the Col. DeBeers vs. Billy Jack Haynes match from ASW last week PLUS! comments from President Bockwinkel

A look back at the end of last week's match for the held up PWHC between Greg valentine and Brad Rheingans

Another message from the masked mystery man who keeps costing the Trooper matches

Candi Divine laces 'em up

Scott 'Flash' Norton in singles action

A major announcement about next week's show

And more!

The Top Guns won a squash match over Rocky Stone & Chris Colt when Dukes pinned Colt with his running clothesline finisher

Guns came out to a decent ovation as they made their way down the face aisle.

In-studio: Nelson said a lot was happening in the new era AWA. Said that Super Clash on Sept. 16 on PPV from Milwaukee promises to be a big event.

Pic aired of Scott Norton with the caption: NEXT... THE FLASH!!!

ALSO!

DEBEERS-HAYNES FALLOUT!!!

Commercials

Scott 'Flash' Norton won a squash match over Johnny Rodz via pinfall with his Flashback (Overhead gutwrench backbreaker rack dropped into an inverted shoulderbreaker) finisher

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Bischoff:
Scott Norton, welcome to the AWA!

Norton: Thank you. It's great to be here.

Bischoff: Well, we saw what happened at the end of the match with your tag team partner Billy Jack Haynes and Col. DeBeers. Rip Oliver got involved and you came out to help Billy. Seems there's a lot of bad blood there.

Norton: Bad blood is an understatement. Billy Jack had Col. DeBeers locked in the full nelson. Billy was about to win the match when Rip Olive hit the ring and saved DeBeers' bacon.

This thing between us has spilled over from the Pacific Northwest into the AWA! No matter where we are the bad blood will always be there!

Billy and me are looking to accomplish big things here in the AWA! But the first order of business is to take care of those two problems from our neck of the woods!

Rip Oliver and Col. DeBeers! You boys better be prepared for a fight because a fight is exactly what's heading your way!

Crowd popped.

In-studio: Nelson talked about the situation between Norton and Haynes and DeBeers and Oliver.

Intro'd footage from the end of last week's match on ASW between DeBeers and Haynes

VIDEO:

# DeBeers and Haynes then engaged in a punch exchange and Haynes got the better of it and whipped DeBeers towards the corner. DeBeers slammed hard, front-first into the buckles, bounced back and crashed to the mat. Haynes signaled it was time for the full nelson. Crowd eating it up. DeBeers to his feet facing away from Haynes and Haynes moved in and locked DeBeers in the full nelson. DeBeers in trouble and trying desperately to escape Haynes' clutches. Haynes not giving an inch. Cheers turned to boos as Rip Oliver charged down the heel aisle in his ring attire, hit the ring and jumped Haynes from behind. Ref called for the bell. Haynes lost his grip on DeBeers. Rip hammered away on Haynes and DeBeers recovered quickly and joined in the beating. Crowd popped as Scott Norton charged down the face aisle and hit the ring. DeBeers and Oliver bailed to the safety of the floor as an enraged Norton glared at the evil pair from the ring. Haynes recovered enough and the two were now daring DeBeers and Oliver to get back in the ring as the crowd roared.

END VIDEO

Video aired of Greg Valentine having his hand in victory and being handed the PWHC title with the caption: NEXT... CHAMP ONCE AGAIN!!!

In-studio: Nelson intro'd the end of last week's match for the held-up PWHC strap on AWA on ESPN.

VIDEO:

# Valentine hit a gut kick on Rheingans followed by a series of elbows to the back of the neck. Valentine then went to hoist Brad up for a suplex but Brad wriggled free and dropped to his feet behind Valentine. Valentine turned and Brad went to hit Valentine with a cutter but Valentine again shoved Brad off. Brad turned and Valentine nailed Brad with a kick to the gut followed by a piledriver.

Pedicino: This has to be it!

Dundee: Hallelujah! Valentine will be the champ once again!

Valentine for the pin. 1...2... Brad got his foot on the bottom rope. Ref patted valentine on the back and Valentine got up thinking he'd won the match. Ref told Valentine he had not won the match. Ref pointed to Rheingans' foot on the bottom rope. Valentine furious and picked up on a mic.

Valentine: So you see his foot on the rope but not mine! Are you being paid off?!

As
Valentine and the ref had words, Brad recovered in the ring. Brad painfully to his feet. Valentine turned back to Brad and walked right into a cutter from Brad. Crowd exploded. Valentine crashed to the mat. Brad for the cover. 1...2... Valentine got his foot on the bottom rope. ...3! Crowd in orbit. Ref was about to call for the bell and saw Valentine's foot on the bottom rope. Brad jumping up and down thinking he'd won. Fans roaring. Ref waved off the pin. Brad shocked. Valentine up behind Brad and clubbed Brad's previous worked over left arm with a double sledge. Brad in serious pain. Valentine then applied the keylock arm bar on Brad and Brad was only in the hold for a few seconds before submitting. Ref called for the bell as most of the crowd booed. Valentine took liberties and kept Brad locked in the hold for several seconds before releasing the hold. Brad dropped to his knees grabbing his left arm.

Valentine threw his arms defiantly in the air.

Ref went over and talked with Nelson and took the belt. Ref handed the belt to valentine and raised his hand in victory.

In-studio:
Nelson intro'd post-match comments from the victor. Nelson said that everyone was stunned as Valentine was known for working the legs for his figure four but worked over Rheingans' left arm to force an arm bar submission.

VIDEO:

Marshall and Valentine were standing in the locker room and Marshall had a mic. Valentine was still in his tights and had the belt slung over his shoulder.

Marshall: This is Lee Marshall coming to you from the dressing room with the man who is once again the Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion, Greg Valentine.

Greg, you won in a way we've never seen before. Instead of forcing a submission with the figure four leglock, you worked on Rheingans' left arm during the match and were able to make the Olympian submit to the keylock arm bar.

Why the change in strategy?

Valentine: The change in strategy was because wrestlers can become complacent and predictable. You figure out what they're going to do and when they're going to do it. To say Rheingans was caught off-guard by my working over his arm would be an understatement.

And, most importantly, my new strategy worked and the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship is back in the hands of its rightful owner once again.

Marshall: You already have a punishing array of moves and now this is layered on top of it.

Valentine: It shows why I'm the best in the sport today. Brad Rheingans had his moment in the sun and now he goes to the back of the bus as a challenger.

But, there's something else I want. And it's in the possession of Wahoo McDaniel. Chief, the belt that sits on my shoulder automatically makes me the number one contender for the World Championship.

I want the belt they call big silver to add to my trophy case. It will be my crowning achievement in this sport.

Marshall: You talk like a man who's guaranteed to win the World Championship.

Valentine: It's because I know I'm gonna be the World Champion. I'm not hoping to be the World Champion. I will be the World Champion. It's just a matter of when, not if.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of the Masked Mystery man with the caption: NEXT... MORE MYSTERY!!!

Commercials

In-studio:
Nelson intro'd footage from the end of the Trooper vs. Manny Fernandez from a few weeks ago on the AWA on ESPN where the masked mystery man cost Trooper another match.

VIDEO:

# Trooper waited for Manny to get up. Manny up and Trooper hit Manny with a flying shoulder tackle. Manny crashed to the mat. Masked Mystery Man came through the crowd quickly and jumped up on the apron. Ref distracted with masked man. Ref went over and ordered masked man off the apron but masked man had words with the ref. Crowd yelling for the ref to turn around as Trooper had Manny covered. Trooper slapped the mat three times in frustration. Trooper got off Manny and went over to where the ref and masked mystery man were. Trooper grabbed the masked man and started shaking him with the ref caught in between the two. From the other side of the arena, another masked mystery man made his way through the crowd and to ringside. Both masked men dressed the same. Ref went down being caught between Trooper and the other masked man. On the floor, masked man pulled out a baggie and poured a white powder into his hand. Trooper was able to punch the other masked man and slammed his head into the ring bolt that connects the post to the turnbuckle and the masked man crashed to the floor. The other masked man had climbed up on the apron. Ref still down and Manny recovering. Trooper saw the other masked man and walked in his direction and the masked man threw the powder in Trooper's eyes. Trooper blinded. Masked man fled the scene through the crowd. Manny recovered enough to roll Trooper up from behind and grab the tights. Ref recovered and crawled over. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the crowd booed. The other masked man was able to recover and escape through the crowd. Manny up and the ref raised his hand in victory. Trooper rolled over on his side and had his hands over his eyes.

END VIDEO

In-studio:
Nelson intro'd another message from the masked mystery man. The messages are sent to the AWA offices from an undisclosed location.

VIDEO:

# Masked mystery man was standing in front of a black wall and was in his mask, street clothes and fingerless black gloves. He had a 2x4 in one hand and a mic in the other. His voice was distorted.

Masked Man: Trooper! Did you enjoy what happened to you against Manny Fernandez?! Hahaha!

I felt you needed a makeover, and while not a make-up artist myself, I think I did a pretty good job. What did you think?!

Holy smokes! Another masked m,an showed up in the arena that night as well! Who was that?! Did I know him?! Is that the only time you'll ever see him? Who knows what the future holds, Trooper.

You're wrestling in main events... and losing. You'll be back to opening match status if that keeps up.

You and I know each other, Trooper. We met only briefly. But I've never forgotten that encounter. And now you're paying for it. And you will continue to pay at my hands until I'm satisfied. Hint: I'm not satisfied yet.

We'll meet again, Trooper. Who knows where I could strike next. You need to grow eyes on in the back and sides of your head, pal. Things are only going to escalate.

And throwing powder in your face; putting you out with ether; and hitting you in the back with a 2x4 will be the least of your worries moving forward.

See you soon, Trooper. Enjoy the misery. Embrace the misery. Misery is becoming your new way of life.

In-studio:
Nelson discussed the situation between the Trooper and the masked man.

Then sent it back to the ring in Vegas.

Candi Divine won a squash match over Princess Victoria via submission with her Boston Crab finisher

Divine came down the heel aisle to a mixed crowd reax (she's a 'tweener).

Pic aired of World Champion Wahoo McDaniel with the caption: NEXT... WORLD CHAMP!!!

NON-TITLE: Wahoo McDaniel (WC) vs Dennis Stamp

Wahoo came down the face aisle to a strong crowd reaction. He had the title around his waist and was wearing his headdress.

Wahoo won a sqaush match over Stamp via pinfall with his big chop to the chest finisher

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... THE MAIN EVENT!!!

Tickets on sale NOW!

In-studio:
Nelson hyped the ASW main event for next week: Dick Murdoch & Sam Houston vs. Ninja Go & Akio Sato

TV MAIN EVENT: Tommy Rich vs. Ken Patera

Rich came down the heel aisle to pretty strong boos.

Patera came down the face aisle to a nice ovation.

Annoucners wondered if Val was going to make an appearance.

Good match between the two. A few exciting near falls.

End of the match saw Patera on the offensive. Patera went to whip Rich into the ropes but Rich reversed and Patera crashed into the them. Rich moved in and belted Patera with punches and pulled Patera out of the corner and suplexed Patera. Rich ran and hit the ropes and came off with a running elbow smash that connected. 1...2...thr... Patera kicked out. Crowd cheered. Rich snapped Patera up, whipped Patera into the ropes and looked to catch Patera coming off with a clothesline but Patera ducked the move and came back and nailed Rich with a clothesline of his own. Rich crashed to the mat. Crowd popped. Patera gestured it was time for the swinging full nelson. Rich up and Patera moved in behind him and caught him in the swinging full nelson. Rich wasn't in the hold long before submitting. Ref called for the bell as the crowd cheered.

WINNER: Patera - Submission - 7:43

END VIDEO

Last edited:

Raider Nation

Reaction score
1706925302623.png

NEW EPISODE

(4th Taping)

Show Intro

TV MAIN EVENT: Col. DeBeers & Rip Oliver vs. Billy Jack Haynes & Scott Norton

SPECIAL ATTRACTION: Jerry Lawler wrestles

An interview with Barry Windham

A look back at last week's surprise announcement from promoter Jim Crockett regarding Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey

A look at a new wrestler coming to the AWA

Ninja Go & Akio Sato wrestle

'Cowboy' Bob Orton sees action

And more!

Nelson sent ti to the ring in Vegas.

Don Muraco won a squash match over Italian Stallion via pinfall with his inverted piledriver finisher

Muraco got a huge pop coming to the ring down the face aisle.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson:
Don Muraco! We heard the news! Promoter Jim Crockett has ordered Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey to face you in a cage match!

Muraco: When I heard what Jim Crockett said, it was like music to my ears, Larry. I am now gonna get my hands on Kaissey in the confines of the steel cage. The cage is out there to prevent outside interference. And you know as well as I do that Kaissey would love to get Kokina involved in the match.

But, I have a plan.

Nelson: A plan?

Muraco: To make sure Kokina doesn't try and enter the cage, I'm gonna have someone in my corner on the outside, too.

Crowd popped.

Nelson: Who is it?

Muraco: That will be revealed the night of the match. I wanted a man who could make sure Kokina's not stepping foot in that cage.

Sheik, the sound of that medical device slamming upside my head that you hit me with still echoes. And I'm gonna carry that sound with me into our cage match.

It will be what drives me in the match. I want you to feel the pain that I did when I was struck with that weapon. I want you to suffer at my hands. I want you begging for mercy. And only then will the end come.

I don't just want to beat you, Sheik, I want to beat you, if you get my drift.

Crowd cheered.

Nelson: Don Muraco, everybody!

Pic aired of Bob Orton with the caption: NEXT... COWBOY TIME!!!

Commercials

Bob Orton won a squash match via pinfall over Pat Rose with his superplex finisher

Orton was strongly booed coming down the heel aisle.

In-studio: Nelson said he interviewed Orton earlier.

VIDEO:

Nelson and Orton were standing in front of the AWA logo. Nelson had a mic in hand. Nelson was in a suit and Orton in street clothes.

Nelson: Bob Orton, you are hot on the trail of World Champion Wahoo McDaniel.

Orton: There are several wrestlers gunning for Wahoo right now.

But Wahoo needs to remain laser focued on me.

Wahoo, you realized your dream at WrestleRock when you won the World Championship.

I have that same dream, Chief.

And I'm gonna look to make my dream a reality when I step inside the ropes with you with the belt up for grabs.

Don't let your guard down, champ. If you do then I'll be there to pounce and relieve you of big silver.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... STUNNED SHEIK!!!

Commercials/AWA Tour Update

In-studio: Nelson intro'd footage from last week on AWA on ESPN where promoter Jim Crockett sprung a surprise on Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey PLUS! comments from the Sheik.

VIDEO:

# After the match, as the Masked Doc checked on Sanchez and Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey congratulated Kokina on his win, promoter Jim Crockett made his way down the face aisle to the ring to a modest response.

Crockett climbed in the ring and gestured for the ring mic and Larry Nelson handed it to him.

Crockett: Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey, at WrestleRock a few weeks ago, you violently assaulted Don Muraco after his match with your man Kokina Maximus.

I am out here to inform you that you will be facing Don Muraco in a match...

Kaissey walked up to Crockett.

kaissey: I'm a manager now. I'm retired. No longer active.

Crockett: Well then, you're being un-retired.

Crowd popped.

Crockett: Sheik, you will be wrestling Don Muraco in a match where Kokina Maximus will not be able to interfere.

You'll be facing Muraco... inside a steel cage!

Crowd popped.

Sheik beside himself. Kokina wanted to go after Crockett.

Crockett: Keep your man back unless you want another stipulation added to the match.

Kaissey: This is outrageous! You can't do this!

Crockett: I can and I did. Goodnight, Sheik!

Crowd popped as Crockett handed off the mic to Nelson and left the ring.

END VIDEO

Pic flipped and Sheik, in his Arab garb, was standing in front of the AWA logo with mic in hand.

Kaissey: I cannot believe what Jim Crockett has put upon me!

I am a manager now! i am retired from active competition!

And he sticks me in a cage with that wild animal Muraco! This is outrageous! And I will not stand for it!

I am a man of great wealth! And I will explore going through the court system to get this match stopped!

Remember this: money talks, infidels!

In the end I will get my way!

END VIDEO

Video aired of Sato & Go in action with the caption: NEXT... ASIAN CONNECTION!!!

Commercials

Ninja Go & Akio Sato won a squash match over Jerry Allen & C.W. Bergstrom via pinfall when Sato pinned Alen with his sitout powerbomb

Go and Sato were modestly booed coming to the ring down the heel aisle.

Pic aired of Barry Windham with the caption: NEXT... BARRY STOPS BY!!!

Commercials

In-ring: Larry Nelson stood center ring with mic in hand.

Nelson: The AWA is super hot right now and lots of big wrestling stars want to be a part of this new era.

Would you please welcome the AWA's newest wrestler... Barry Windham!

Crowd popped as Windham, in street clothes, made his way down the face aisle and slapped hands with fans on the way to the ring.

Barry climbed in the ring and acknowledged the crowd.

Nelson: Barry Windham! Welcome to the AWA!

Berry: It's great to be hear, Larry. And what you said just before you introduced me is 100 percent the truth. A lot of wrestlers see the AWA as the promotion on the rise in this sport.

They're talking about it in locker rooms all over the world. A lot of wrestlers want to come here and be part of what's going on. They see the AWA is all about the wrestling. The fans want action.

And with men like Jim Crockett, Bill Watts and Jerry Jarrett running the show, that's what they're getting from top to bottom.

Fans cheered.

Barry: The AWA's future is bright and I'm excitrd to be a part of it. Guys like Nikita Koloff, Billy Jack Haynes and Scott Norton have just arrived. Jerry Lawler is back. You've got wrestlers here who can compete with the best.

The competition here is gonna be fierce. I look at some of the guys on this roster. Men like Col. DeBeers, Cactus Jack, Greg Valentine and others and see that this is the best place to test yourself right now.

Nelson: Barry, these fans are clearly excited to see you here in the AWA. And it looks like they're expecting real big things from you.

Barry: I'm expecting big things from myself, Larry.

Nelson: Barry Windhanm, everybody!

Crowd cheered.

Pic aired of Jerry Lawler with the caption: NEXT... KING OF THE RING!!!

Commercials

VIDEO:

Grainy black and white video played of a long stretch limo driving into a parking garage with its lights on.

The car stopped in the garage.

Close up of the driver's side rear passenger door with a tinted window.

Shot then went to a lower part of the door and the ground. The door opened and out stepped a dress shoe and then the other one. The door then closed and you saw the feet walk off.

Screen went black and then the following appeared in white block lettering on the screen: TULLY'S COMING!!!

END VIDEO

Jerry Lawler won a squash match via pinfall over Reno Riggins with his piledriver finisher

Lawler came down the face aisle to a strong ovation.

AnnouNcers talked about Lawler being confronted by the maniacal Cactus Jack last week.

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... THIS IS WAR!!!

Commercials

TV MAIN EVENT: Billy Jack Haynes & Scott Norton vs. Col. Debeers & Rip Oliver

DeBeers and Oliver made their way down the heel aisle to loud boos but also had their fans.

Norton and Haynes made their way down the face aisle to a strong crowd reaction.

Pedicino: The fans have already taken a liking to Haynes and Norton.

Dundee: That's a real shame. They should be cheering DeBeers and Oliver.

Pedicino: Will you... Please.

Both sides talked in their corners.

Ref called for the bell.

Oliver and Haynes started for their teams.

The two men circle one another and engaged in a collar-and-elbow tie-up and Haynes drove Oliver against the ropes. Break was clean. The two men circled one another again and Oliver started strutting around the ring to boos. Oliver turned back to Haynes and Haynes slapped the taste out of Oliver's mouth. Oliver stunned. Haynes moved in with punches that drove Oliver against the ropes. Haynes caught Oliver in a side headlock. After a brief struggle, Oliver shoved Haynes off and Haynes hit the ropes and came back and Oliver dived down and Haynes jumped over Oliver. Haynes came back at Oliver and Oliver leapfrogged Haynes. Haynes spun around and Oliver went to hip toss Haynes but Haynes reversed and hip tossed Oliver. Oliver up and Haynes caught Oliver in the press position. Haynes pressed Oliver a couple of times and then press slammed Oliver. Oliver up and Haynes dropped Rip with a clothesline and dropped down on top of Oliver and popped Rip in the head with a series of punches. Haynes snapped Oliver up and went to whip Rip into the ropes but Oliver reversed and DeBeers came down the apron and raised his knee and Haynes slammed back-first into it. Ref reprimanded DeBeers. Haynes dropped to his knees. Oliver with a series of head shots on Haynes. Oliver picked up Haynes and bodyslammed Haynes and dropped an elbow smash on Haynes. Oliver for the pin. 1... Haynes kicked out. Oliver up and booted Haynes in the side of the head. Oliver grabbed Haynes and drove Haynes into his team's corner. Oliver tagged in DeBeers. Oliver got a gut shot in on Haynes. DeBeers in and nailed Haynes with a series of shoulder blocks to the gut. DeBeers pulled Haynes out of the corner and whipped Haynes into the ropes and caught Haynes coming off with a back elbow to the chest. Haynes crashed to the mat. DeBeers backed up as Haynes got to his feet and DeBeers charged over and hit Haynes with a running punch to the head. Haynes staggered. DeBeers caught Haynes with a suplex and then went to hit Haynes with a knee drop to the head but Haynes rolled out fo the way and DeBeers slammed knee-first into the mat. Crowd popped. Both men up and DeBeers caught Haynes with a couple of head shots and whipped Haynes into the corner. DeBeers blasted Haynes with a series of forearms to the chest. DeBeers then raked Haynes' eyes across the top rope and broke the illegal move at the ref's count of 4. DeBeers whipped Haynes into the ropes and looked to catch Haynes coming off with a clothesline but Haynes did a forward roll and tagged in Norton. Big crowd pop. Norton came in a house of fire and battered DeBeers with punches. Oliver hit the ring and Norton blasted Oliver with a punch and then grabbed DeBeers and Oliver and slammed their heads together. DeBeers staggered and Oliver crashed to the mat and rolled harmlessly out on the apron. Norton whipped DeBeers into the corner and hit DeBeers with an avalanche. DeBeers limp in the corner. Norton whipped DeBeers into the opposite buckles and nailed DeBeers with a second avalanche. DeBeers staggered out of the corner and crashed to his back in the ring. Norton for the cover. 1...2... Oliver had recovered enough to the hit the ring and hit Norton with a diving double sledge to the back to break up the pin try. Haynes hit the ring and he and Oliver briefly scuffled before the ref was able to separate them and get them back to their corners. While that was going on, DeBeers caught Norton with an eye poke behind the ref's back. DeBeers pounded away on Norton. DeBeers hit Norton with a double underhook suplex and then nailed Norton with a jumping double foot stomp to the head. DeBeers for the cover. 1...2... Norton kicked out. Norton sat up and DeBeers kicked Norton in the back and tagged in Oliver.

Oliver hit the ring and battered Norton with a punch barrage. Oliver whipped Norton into the ropes and caught Norton coming off with a high backdrop. Norton crashed to the mat. DeBeers came down the apron and goaded Haynes Haynes went to go after DeBeers but the ref stepped in and kept the two apart. Behind the ref's back, Oliver quickly unwrapped the tape on his left wrist (guess the blade's not in there ). Norton sat up and Oliver came up behind Norton, wrapped the tape around Norton's neck and then concealed his evil deed with a rear chinlock on Norton. Crowd yelling for the ref to turn around. Ref got order on the apron and checked on Norton, who was being strangled with the tape. Ref checking but Oliver keeping the tape well hidden. Norton slowly started to make it to his feet in the hold. Norton up and charged into the corner and dropped down and Oliver's head slammed into the top buckle and Oliver lost his grip on the hold. DeBeers started to climb in the ring and ref went over and ordered DeBeers back out on the apron. Haynes hit the ring, charged over and nailed DeBeers with punches and then slammed DeBeers' head into the top buckle and DeBeers toppled off the apron and crashed to the floor to the delight of the crowd. Norton up and Oliver recovered and walked right into a big right hand from Norton followed by a neckbreaker. Oliver crashed to the mat. Oliver in pain holding the back of his neck. Norton snapped Oliver up and whipped Oliver into the ropes and looked to catch Oliver with a backdrop, but Oliver nailed Norton with a double sledge to the back. Norton stunned. Oliver shaking out the effects of the neckbreaker. Norton getting up and Oliver hit Norton with a knee lift to the chest and Norton fell into the corner. Oliver moved in and started hammering away on Norton. Norton found the strength to reverse positions and now Oliver was in the corner. Norton hammering away on Oliver. DeBeers had recovered on the floor and snuck over and reached in the ring and pulled Norton's foot out from under him. Norton crashed to the mat. Oliver for the cover and DeBeers had a hold of Norton's foot. 1... Haynes saw what happened and dropped to the floor and charged at DeBeers. ...2... Haynes blasted DeBeers with a punch and DeBeers lost his grip on Haynes' foot. ...thr... Norton managed to kick out. Crowd cheered. DeBeers being belted by Haynes on the floor. Ref distracted as Haynes locked DeBeers in the full nelson on the floor. Crowd popped. Oliver and Norton up in the ring and engaged in a brief punch exchange. Oliver got the upper hand. Ref went out on the floor to separate Haynes and DeBeers. Oliver went to whip Norton into the ropes but Norton reversed and caught Oliver coming off with a powerslam. Crowd popped. Ref still dealing with the matter on the floor. Norton snapped up Oliver and blasted Oliver with his flashback (Overhead gutwrench backbreaker rack dropped into an inverted shoulderbreaker) finisher. Oliver flatlined. Norton covered Oliver. crowd yelling for the ref to get back in the ring. Haynes had released the full nelson and was ragdolling Debeers now. Ref trying to restore order. Norton on Oliver for several seconds before getting up and going over to where the ref was.

Pedicino: Wait a minute! That's the Grappler!

Dundee: Hey! Good ol' Grap!

Grapplr had charged down the heel aisle and climbed in the ring while Norton was distracted. Grappler quickly tapped the toe of his boot into the mat three times.

Pedicino: He's loading that boot with something!

Norton turned and...

WHAM!

Grappler laid out the big man with a devastating superkick. Norton crumpled to the mat.

Grappler fled the scene to loud boos. A groggy Oliver recovered enough to crawl over and cover Norton. Ref got Haynes and DeBeers separated on the floor and turned and saw Oliver covering Norton. Ref slid into the ring. 1... Haynes saw what was happening and went to climb in the ring but DeBeers recovered enough to grab Haynes' leg and not allow him to climb back in. ...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the fans showed their displeasure.

Oliver rolled off of Norton and the ref raised his hand while Oliver was sitting up. Some trash thrown at the ring. Haynes had kicked DeBeers off and was now in the ring and wondered what happened. Oliver up and left the ring and met up with DeBeers, who had been lit up like the 4th of July by Haynes. A groggy Norton now sitting up in the ring as Haynes glared at DeBeers and Oliver. The winning duo backed up the aisle and raised their fists in defiant victory as the program ended.

WINNER: DeBeers & Oliver - Pinfall 10:48

END PROGRAM

DARK MATCHES

AWA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP:
Wahoo McDaniel (WC) def. Bob Orton via pinfall with his big chop finisher - 13:33

AWA WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP: Magnificent Mimi (WC - w/ Valerie) battled Tina Moretti to a 20-minute draw

Nikita Koloff def. Manny Fernandez via pinfall with his Russian sickle finisher - 8:29

PAID ATTENDANCE: 3,502

COMPS GIVEN OUT: 461

COMPS USED: 212

TOTAL ATTENDANCE:

(Vince McMahon is playing a role in this BTB. I will respond to how I will use him moving forward in my next post.)

Last edited:

Raider Nation

Reaction score
(PREVIOUS POST: The latest AWA on ESPN episode.)

Regarding Vince McMahon in this Diary/BTB

The recent allegations against Vince McMahon have shaken pro wrestling.

The complete erasure of a wrestler from a pro wrestling period piece like AWA 1989 is not a cut-and-dried decision.

I have already erased one wrestler from AWA 1989. That is Buck Zumhofe. If you do not know the case, please look it up.

However, I will not be changing McMahon in this Diary/BTB. Things will continue as they have been since I introduced him.

Here's the reason...

Vince McMahon, whether one likes it or not, is the most important figure in the history of pro wrestling and still will be for many years to come. You can't just toss that history aside.

Buck Zumhofe was never a major player per se in the AWA, at best occasional mid-card talent, so erasing him from this period piece was not difficult.

If I ever did a Southwest Championship Wrestling Diary/BTB, I would include the odious Bob Sweetan because of the major role he played in the promotion.

I just don't think you can simply toss out major players in a promotional period piece even if they've committed horrible crimes.

The same thing would go for Chris Benoit if I was doing a WCW or WWF period piece. If he was in the timeline I was writing about he'd stay in the Diary/BTB.

I'd continue to use Brock Lesnar in a WWE period piece if he was there at the time.

It's obviously a personal preference issue for Diary/BTB writers and they should not be criticized or praised for how they handle these matters. It just is.

IRL, we've all enjoyed some of the stuff WWF/E has presented over the years.

While I think McMahon has had far more of a negative effect on pro wrestling than a positive effect, you can't deny his place in history. You can ignore it; but it's still there.

Just wanted to make my position clear on this matter.​

Raider Nation

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to playing catch up with this. I certainly think a look at the current AWA roster after everything that has transpired to this point will be beneficial.

I'm also wondering if Verne Gagne's death was canon or not, lmao.
(PREVIOUS POST: My use of Vince McMahon moving forward here.)

Verne, in terms of the chronology, is back alive! He was brought back from the dead by Benny Hinn! ;)

Hope you'll continue reading. Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: DTP

Raider Nation

Reaction score
1707158256233.png

(4th Taping)

Show Intro

In-Studio

TV MAIN EVENT:
Sam Houston & Dick Murdoch vs. Ninja Go & Akio Sato

PLUS!

Pre-recorded comments from the two teams

ASW DEBUT:
Barry Windham

'Big' Reggie Bennett grapples

The Guerrero Bros. see action

A look at a new wrestler coming to the AWA

The Trooper laces 'em up

And more!

NON-TITLE: Greg Valentine (PWHC) vs. Jeff Jarrett (USWA)

(NOTE: The ASW Casper, WY tapings would have taken place around the time the Rheingans-Valentine match aired on TV where the PWHC title was held up. So, Valentine came into Casper as the champ and was recognized as the champ at the tapings. I love what you can do with wrestling! It's such an elastic business! )

Jarrett came to the ring to a modest ovation down the face aisle. Jarrett slapped hands with fans along the way.

Once in the ring, Jarrett briefly played to the crowd.

Valentine made his way down the heel aisle to strong boos but also had his fans.

Valentine took the mic from Larry nelson.

Valentine: What you're looking at across the ring from me is Nepotism 101! You see, Jeff Jarrett is the son of AWA official Jerry Jarrett! He only got this match because of who his daddy is!

Well, Jeff, prepare to be schooled by the best there is in the sport today! Pops Jarrett is gonna be sorely disappointed in his son when I'm through with you!

Crowd booed.

Ref called for the bell.

The two men circled one another and engaged in a collar-and-elbow tie-up and Valentine got inside on Jarrett and caught Jarrett with a knee to the gut and caught Jarrett in a side headlock takedown. Both men on the mat and Valentine worked over the headlock but Jarrett not giving up. Valentine yelled for the ref to ask Jarrett if he quits. Not happening. Valentine to a knee with Jarrett in the side headlock. Both men made it to heir feet with Jarrett in the side headlock. Valentine cinching up on the hold but Jarrett not quitting. Valentine popped Jarrett in the top of the head with a trio of quick punches. Ref reprimanded Valentine as Valentine released Jarrett. Jarrett grabbed his head. Valentine moved in and grabbed Jarrett and whipped Jarrett into the ropes and looked to catch Jarrett coming off with a back elbow to the chest but Jarrett ducked the move and came back flying crossbody. Valentine crashed to the mat. Jarrett for the pin. 1... Valentine kicked out. Both men up and Valentine caught Jarrett with a bionic elbow to the top of the head. Valentine whipped Jarrett into the corner. Valentine moved in and caught Jarrett with a stiff open hand chest chop followed by a series of shoulder blocks to the gut. Valentine threw Jarrett out of the corner and Jarrett went down on the mat. Valentine with a couple of well placed stomps on Jarrett. Valentine yelling for Jarrett to get up. Jarrett slowly made it to his feet. Valentine with a series of head shots on the overwhelmed Jarrett. Valentine popped Jarrett with a suplex, ran and hit the ropes and came off with a running elbow smash. Valentine for the pin. 1...2... Jarrett kicked out. Crowd cheered. Valentine snapped Jarrett up and whipped Jarrett into the ropes and this time caught Jarret coming off with the back elbow to the chest. Jarrett crashed down by the ropes. Valentine grabbed the top rope and drove a series of knees into Jarrett. Ref counting. Valentine broke the illegal move at the count of four. Jarrett in a bad way. Valentine snapped Jarrett up and threw Jarrett through the top and middle rope and down to the floor. Valentine turned and called Larry Nelson up to the ring apron. Nelson obliged.

Valentine: Jarrett, I hope your daddy's watching this! You should not be in this business! You should be flipping burgers at Wendy's or cleaning toilets or something!

Crowd booed. Ref counting on Jarrett.

Jarrett barely beat the 10-count by rolling back into the ring. Valentine continued the stomp assault on Jarrett. Valentine pulled Jarrett to his knees and reared back and deliberately belted Jarrett with a head shot. Valentine pulled Jarrett to his feet. Valentine whipped Jarrett into the ropes and looked to backdrop Jarrett coming off but Jarrett caught Valentine and blasted Valentine with a swinging neckbreaker. Crowd popped big time. Both men down. Both men made it to their feet and Valentine caught Jarrett with a kick to the gut followed by a series of elbows to the back of the neck. Valentine then went to piledrive Jarrett but Jarrett twice blocked the move and backdropped Valentine to the mat. Jarrett up and Valentine to his knees. Jarrett reached down to pull Valentine to his feet but Valentine caught Jarrett with a series of gut shots. Valentine to his feet. Valentine hoisted Jarrett up for a suplex but Jarrett wriggled free from the champ's grasp, dropped to his feet behind the champ and caught the champ in a sleeper. Crowd wanting Jarrett to pull the upset. Valentine struggling to free himself from the hold. Valentine was finally able to maneuver around and catch Jarrett with a belly-to-back suplex to free himself from the hold. Valentine up and went for an elbow smash on Jarrett but Jarrett rolled out of the way and Valentine crashed to the mat. Both men made it to their feet and Jarrett stunned Valentine with an enzuigiri. Crowd popped. Valentine down. Jarrett snapped valentine up and hit the champ with three straight snap suplexes. Jarrett for the cover. 1...2...3! NO! Valentine kicked out. Hot Wyoming crowd groaned. Jarrett grabbed valentine and rammed the champs head multiple times into the top buckle. Valentine spun around in the corner. Jarrett whipped Valentine into the opposite buckles and charged in and dropkicked the champ. Valentine staggered out of the corner and crashed face-first into the mat. Jarrett rolled Valentine over for the pin. 1...2...thr... Valentine got a shoulder up. Crowd groaned. Jarrett snapped up the champ and hoisted Valentine upside down over his back and blasted Valentine with a double leg slam. Jarrett held Valentine's legs and flipped over on top of the champ for the pin. 1...2...3! NO! Valentine managed to kick out. Crowd groaned. Jarrett snapped Valentine up and Valentine went true heel with an eye rake. Ref reprimanded Valentine. Valentine clubbed Jarrett across the back three times and then went for a backslide for the pin but Jarrett reversed and caught Valentine in a backslide attempt. Valentine fought to not go over but Jarrett won and caught Valentine in a backslide for the pin. 1...2...thr... Valentine kicked out. Louder groan from a crowd into everything. Jarret snapped up Valentine and whipped Valentine into the buckles. Jarrett charged in with a running high knee attempt but Valentine moved and Jarrett's left knee crashed hard into the buckles. Jarrett went down holding his left knee. Valentine acted quickly and dropped to the floor, pulled Jarrett's legs out of the ring so they were hanging over the apron. Valentine slammed Jarrett's left leg/back knee area hard into the apron. Ref counting. Jarrett scooted back in the ring in serious pain. Valentine followed. Valentine stomped away on Jarrett's left knee and then grabbed the leg and yanked on it and started to apply the figure four when Jarrett reached up and caught Valentine in a small package for the pin. 1...2...thr... Valentine again kicked out.

Crockett: What fight in this kid!

Both men up and Valentine punched Jarrett and then caught Jarret with a shin breaker across the knee. Jarrett crashed back to the mat while Valentine held the left leg. Valentine immediately applied the figure four leg lock. Jarrett tried to fight through the pain but was only in the hold a few seconds before submitting. Ref called for the bell as the fans booed. Valentine kept the hold on Jarrett for several seconds after the match before releasing the hold.

Valeintine up and the ref raised his hand in victory. Ref handed Valentine his title. Valentine strutted around in the ring holding the belt aloft with one hand before leaving the ring and heading back up the heel aisle as the ref checked on Jarrett.

Reynolds: Valentine won. But Jarrett put up a helluva fight!

Crockett: He surprised Valentine, that's for sure!

WINNER: Valentine - Submission - 11:15

Pic aired of the Guerrero Bros. with the caption: NEXT... HIGH FLYERS!!!

Commercials

The Guerrero Bros. won a squash match over Les Thornton & Terry Gibbs via pinfall when Mando pinned Thronton with a moonsault

Guerrero Bros. got a decent ovation coming to the ring down the face aisle.

Thornton got in some offense and Gibbs very little.

In-studio:
Nelson talked about the new era AWA catching fire in the wrestling world. Said people were sitting up and taking notice of the AWA with its emphasis on wrestling and the arrival of major stars.

Pic aired of Reggie Bennett with the caption: NEXT... BIG REG!!! (Complete with fart noises in the background. )

'Big' Reggie Bennett won a squash match over Donna Lemke via submission with her split-leg rear chinlock

Bennett was strongly cheered on the way to the ring as she came down the face aisle.

In-studio: Nelson briefly talked about the impressive Bennett.

Nelson intro'd pre-match comments from Dick Murdoch and Sam Houston as well as Akio Sato & Ninja Go before their main event match later on the show.

VIDEO:

Go and Sato, in their ring attire, were standing in front of the AWA logo.

Sato spoke as the masked Go stayed silent.

Sato spoke in Japanese and a narrator translated his words into English.

Sato: Tonight, Sam Houston and Dick Murdoch will learn why you don't mess with sons from the land of the rising sun.

Dick Murdoch, you made a huge mistake coming out of retirement. I am sad to say that this will be your final match. You and your student, Sam Houston, have decided to mess with the wrong people.

You should have let sleeping dogs lie. But, you could not do that and now you will pay a have price for your stubborness.

Have you two no shame? Do you not realize that for us honor is a huge deal? We will be defending our honor in our match with you.

This will not end well for you two.

Pic flipped and Houston and Murdoch, in street clothes and Murdoch was wearing a John Deere baseball cap and Houston was wearing a cowboy hat. Each man had a mic and was standing in front of the AWA logo.

Sam: Coach Murdoch, we are fighting two very crafty wrestlers in the main event. I am glad that you have decided to come out of retirement and partner with me this one time for this match against Akio Sato and Ninja Go.

I consider it an honor to wrestle along side my mentor. You're one of the best, coach, and I can't think of a better partner.

Sato & Go: you better be prepared. Murdoch may have retired, but he's still got it in the ring and you're gonna find that out in the match.

Dick: Sam, I never thought I'd lace 'em up again, but here I am. Wrestling never truly leaves your system. It stays with you until you die.

I can't wait to step in the ring with the wrestler I've been coaching all these months. This will be a real test for us. But I know we can win. We've got the right stuff.

Akio Sato and Ninja Go think they're clever. The question is are they clever enough to beat us? The Japs can be a sneaky lot. You've got to be on your toes at all times against them.

I've wrestled several times in Japan and let me tell you, Americans need to stick with Americans over there. Japan is all about being a great success. They're a prideful people.

But, many of them will take shortcuts to succeed so you've got to be alert at all times. I've been a master of shortcuts in this sport in the past. But, the Japanese take shortcutting to a whole new level.

I'm confident with you as my partner, Sam. Let's go out there, give 'm hell and walk out of that ring the victors.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of the Trooper with the caption: NEXT... IT'S THE LAW!!!

Commercials

The Trooper won a squash match over Gary Royal via pinfall with his flying shoulder tackle finisher

Trooper came to the ring to a good ovation and handed out little souvenir speeding tickets on the way to the ring down the face aisle.

Announcers discussed Trooper's problems with the mystery man who kept showing up and costing him big matches

In-studio: Nelson briefly talked about the Trooper and the problems he was having with the masked mystery man.

Nelson intro'd a video for the next AWA PPV.

Video aired for the Super Clash 5 PPV - Sunday - Sept. 16 - Mecca Arena - Milwaukee, WI - 8PM ET/5 PM PT - Tickets on sale NOW!

Pic aired of Barry Windham with the caption: NEXT... BARRY'S HERE!!!

Barry Windham won a squash match over Dennis Stamp via pinfall with his flying lariat finisher

Barry got a strong ovation from the crowd coming down the face aisle.

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... EAST VS. WEST!!!

Commercials

VIDEO:

Grainy black and white video played of a long stretch limo driving into a parking garage with its lights on.

The car stopped ii the garage.

Close up of the driver's side rear passenger door with a tinted window.

Shot then went to a lower part of the door and the ground. The door opened and out stepped a dress shoe and then the other one. The door then closed and you saw the feet walk off.

Screen went black and then the following appeared in white block lettering on the screen: TULLY'S COMING!!!

TV MAIN EVENT:
Sam Houston & Coach Dick Murdoch vs. Akio Sato & Ninja Go

Sato and Go made their way down the heel aisle to the ring to a decent negative crowd reax.

Murdoch and Houston came down the face aisle to a good ovation.

Once in the ring, Houston briefly played to the crowd.

Both teams went to their corners.

Ref called for the bell.

Sam and Sato started the match for their teams.

The two men circled one another and Sato tried to catch Sam with a roundhouse kick to the head but Sam evaded the kick and the two men circled one another again. Sato went for a chop to the top of the head but Sam blocked it and fired away on Sato with punches. Sam whipped Sato into the ropes and caught Sato coming off with a high backdrop. Sato crashed to the mat to the delight of the crowd. Sato up and Sam went to hit Sato with a running dropkick but Sato evaded it and Sam crashed to the mat. Sam up and Sato caught Sam with a bodyslam. Sato to the middle rope and came off with a fist drop that connected, Sato for the cover. 1...2... Sam kicked out. Fans cheered. Both men up and Sato caught Sam with a gut kick and whipped Sam into his team's corner and tagged in the mysterious Go. Go came in with a kick assault on Sam, pulled Sam out of the corner, whipped Sam into the ropes and caught Sam coming off with a backhand to the face. Go suplexed Sam and mounted the middle rope and came off with an elbow drop from the middle rope but Sam rolled out of the way and Go crashed to the mat. Fans cheering. Both men up and Sam stunned Go with a dropkick and Go fell back against the ropes. Sam then tagged in Murdoch to a huge pop from the hot crowd. Murdoch came in on fire and battered Go with punches. Murdoch ran Go across the ring and slammed Go's head into the top buckle. Murdoch whipped Go into the opposite buckles. Murdoch charged in but Go got his foot up and Murdoch slammed face-first into it. Murdoch spun away from Go and Go hit Murdoch with a dropkick to the back and Murdoch toppled through the top and middle rope and crashed to the floor. Go ignored the ref's order to stand back and dropped to the floor and grabbed Murdoch and rammed Murdoch back-first into the apron. Go threw Murdoch back in the ring. Murdoch hurtin' for certain. Go in and tagged in Sato. Sato came in as Murdoch got up and Sato blasted Murdoch with a series of kicks to the leg. Crowd urging on Murdoch. Sato hoisted Murdoch up and blasted Murdoch with a gutbuster across the knee. Murdoch sat up and Sato caught Murdoch in his double trap nerve hold. Murdoch in dire pain. Sato released the hold and Murdoch to his feet went to tag in Sam but Sato came up behind Murdoch locked the nerve submission hold in again. Murdoch looking for an escape. Murdoch was able to maneuver around and drive Sato hard, back-first into the buckles. Crowd popped as Sato lost his grip in the hold. Murdoch turned and stunned Sato with a series of Dusty-like bionic elbows to the top of the noggin, Murdoch tagged in Sam to the delight of the crowd, Sam came in and hit Sato with a couple of punches that drove Sato to a knee in the corner. Sam went to pull Sato up and Sato hit an open hand throat-thrust on Sam. Sam stunned. Ref said you can't do that but since Sato doesn't understand English... Sam grabbed at his throat.Sato with a double neck chop. Sato then hoisted Sam up for a belly-back suplex but Sam flipped out of Sato's grasp and landed behind Sato. Sato spun around and walked into a buzzsaw of punches. Crowd eating it up. Sam whipped Sato into the ropes and caught Sato coming off with a flying clothesline. Sato crashed to the mat, Sam for the cover, 1...2... Go hit the ring and stomped Sam in the back of the head to break up the pin try, Go quickly back to his corner. Sato up and caught Sam with a roundhouse kick that dropped Sam. Crowd urging on Sam. Sato tagged in Go. Go went to work on Sam with body shots, whipped Sam into the ropes and caught Sam coming off with a kick to the gut. Go then hoisted Sam up and went for his double underhook suplex into a bridgeout finisher but Sam was near the ropes and got his leg out over the middle rope to force a break. Go pulled Sam back into the ring.

Go whipped Sam into the ropes and looked to catch him coming off with a dropkick but Sam gabbed the top rope and Go crashed to the mat. Fans popped. Go up and Sam hit Go with two dropkicks. Go crashed to the mat on the second one. Sam grabbed Go in a side headlock and backed him into the corner. Sam went for his running bulldog finisher but Go shoved Sam off and Sam crashed to the mat. Both men up and Go swept Sam's leg (yes, Sensei!). Sam down. Go snapped Sam up, whipped Sam into Go's team's corner and followed Sam in with a running back elbow smash to the chest. Go tagged in Sato. Sato with a series of gut kicks. Sato pulled Sam out of the corner, whipped Sam into the ropes and caught Sam coming off with a jumping spin kick to the chest. Sam crashed to the mat. Sato then grabbed Sam and went to hoist Sam up for his Japanese Vegematic (sitout powerbomb) finisher but Sam twice blocked the move and backdropped Sato to the mat. Crowd cheering. Sam to a knee. Sam up and Sato got up and Sam lunged over and tagged in Murdoch. Crowd into it because there's nothing better to do in Wyoming. Sato went to chop Murdoch in the head but Murdoch blocked the chop try and fired away on Sato with punches. Murdoch whipped Sato into the corner. Murdoch moved in with more punches and then mounted the middle buckle behind Sato, placed his knee and Sato's back and drove Sato face-first into the mat with the calf branding. Murdoch turned Sato over and went for the cover. 1...2... Go hit the ring and went went for a diving double sledge on Murdoch to break up the pin try but Murdoch rolled out of the way and Go clubbed Sato instead as the crowd went into orbit. Go up and stunned. Sam hit the ring and dropkicked Go and Go crashed to the mat, rolled out of the ring and crashed to the floor and Sam followed him out as the crowd was eating it up. In ring, Murdoch snapped up Sato and hoisted him up.

Reynolds: Here it comes, David!

WHAM!

Crockett: Brainbusterrrrrrrrrr!!!

Murdoch covered Sato and hooked the leg. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the fans roared. Sam held serve on Go on the floor. Murdoch up and the ref raised his hand in victory. Sam back in and he and Murdoch hugged in celebration and Sam then raised Murdoch's hand in victory as the cheering continued as the program went off the air.

WINNER: Murdoch & Houston - Pinfall - 8:03

END PROGRAM

DARK MATCHES

AWA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP:
Wahoo McDaniel (WC) def. Cactus Jack via pinfall when he reversed a small package - 12:07

MIXED TAG MATCH: Ken Patera, Brad Rheingans & Wendi Richter def. The Destruction Crew (WTTC) & Candi Divine when Richter pinned Divine after Bloom's interference backfired - 16:33

Nikita Koloff def. Manny Fernandez with his Russian Sickle finisher - 7:41

ATTENDANCE: 3,484 (Above what was expected. Good sign?)

Reactions: Death By Looch

DTP

Reaction score
AWA Wrestling on ESPN: 3rd Taping - July 1990:

One thing I have always admired is your dedication to how television in this period was produced, and your commitment to try and enhance that feel through your writing.

Admittedly I can't recall where I left off with the last time I provided feedback, but from what it appears we have a time jump to speed things up under the new regime and leadership direction of the AWA.

Kokina Maximus should surely be a force to be reckoned with some seasoning and fine-tuning, and one I would suspect to be in the running for an AWA World Heavyweight Championship opportunity. I liked the subtlety of explaining the Bonzai Drop for the reader.

It is curious to see how Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey continues to be the big bad manager in the company as we arrive in the 1990s. Don Muraco is sadly past it at this point, but no doubt still a capable hand with decent star power. Fun discourse with the Sheik and Jim Crockett. This gave me very strong vibes of the time. Very old-school angle, which is great - but I am curious how you may modernise certain concepts and approaches to modernise the AWA into surviving the turn of the 1990s.

Happy to see Nick Bockwinkel get tenure as the figurehead President after wrestling. Explanatory segment to clear up the situation with Col. DeBeers and Rip Oliver against Billy Jack Haynes and Scott Norton. I believe Haynes has potential to be pushed in a major capacity, if you did want to take an exciting new approach to the company. Norton, it goes without saying, makes for a powerful mercenary and one to keep an eye on.

Tina Moretti with the win establishes her as a threat to the AWA World Women's Championship. In a period where interest in women's wrestling was at an all-time low in American wrestling, I hope to see you make something - or what you can at least - of the landscape of the division here.

God I love the utilisation of advertisements to establish historical context and time. Fresh, sweet consumerism for the soul!

Classic segment with the Masked Man addressing Trooper, weeks after the loss to Manny Fernandez. Getting win allows Trooper to regain momentum building into what will surely be a return match of sorts. I'm curious as to seeing who the Masked Man is, if not just a guy on the roster not designed to be a device to debut someone new (or old).

Let's hope that AWA SuperClash 5 manages to sell out the Mecca Arena, given recent events in this universe. That is certainly a big and daunting task to undertake.

Jerry Lawler's promo was great, and I loved Cactus Jack's interruption. This may be the best thing going in the current bill for the AWA. Terrific promo here, and I look forward to hopefully seeing more to come of this situation. Cactus is clearly a new guy still at this point in time, but man, a feud with Lawler would make him in an instance.

I'll be curious to see if Diamond Dallas Page eventually steps between the ropes a la real life. For the time being, not a bad main event with Badd Co. and Jonnie Stewart overcoming Tom Zenk, Sam Houston and Tommy Jammer.

AWA All-Star Wrestling: 3rd Taping - July 1990:

One thing about the AWA is its' insistence on honouring tradition, and as such, sadly, Wahoo McDaniel as a fifty-one year old man is fitting as the AWA World Heavyweight Champion. Hopefully we are to see some more youthful talents arise to take the top of the cards by storm, in due time.

It felt like quite a run-of-the-mill taping, as to be expected from a syndicated programme such as All-Star Wrestling. I liked the Scott Norton interview, and it really set things up for the anticipated tag team match. It is shows like these that really help get over the importance of television elements in order to build and longivate ongoing storylines, whilst also serving to preserve the excitement of the fanbase.

I admittedly don't know an awful lot about the PWHC Championship, but can safely presume its' intention is to establish Greg Valentine as a no-good cheat with his own vanity strap. It certainly set the scene for Valentine to challenge Wahoo McDaniel, in what will surely be a true battle of the ages between two men on the verge of mid-life. At least the star power is there.

More villainous words from the Masked Man, who is clearly out to ruin Trooper's career.

Wahoo McDaniel defeating the famed Dennis Stamp made for a strong feature of the show. I'd argue it was probably worth of main eventing the episode, given it's the AWA World Champion. That said, we can't fault the utilisation of Tommy Rich and Ken Patera in the main event position. Strong main event victory for Patera.

Reactions: Death By Looch

Raider Nation

Reaction score
AWA Wrestling on ESPN: 3rd Taping - July 1990:

One thing I have always admired is your dedication to how television in this period was produced, and your commitment to try and enhance that feel through your writing.

Admittedly I can't recall where I left off with the last time I provided feedback, but from what it appears we have a time jump to speed things up under the new regime and leadership direction of the AWA.

Kokina Maximus should surely be a force to be reckoned with some seasoning and fine-tuning, and one I would suspect to be in the running for an AWA World Heavyweight Championship opportunity. I liked the subtlety of explaining the Bonzai Drop for the reader.

It is curious to see how Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey continues to be the big bad manager in the company as we arrive in the 1990s. Don Muraco is sadly past it at this point, but no doubt still a capable hand with decent star power. Fun discourse with the Sheik and Jim Crockett. This gave me very strong vibes of the time. Very old-school angle, which is great - but I am curious how you may modernise certain concepts and approaches to modernise the AWA into surviving the turn of the 1990s.

Happy to see Nick Bockwinkel get tenure as the figurehead President after wrestling. Explanatory segment to clear up the situation with Col. DeBeers and Rip Oliver against Billy Jack Haynes and Scott Norton. I believe Haynes has potential to be pushed in a major capacity, if you did want to take an exciting new approach to the company. Norton, it goes without saying, makes for a powerful mercenary and one to keep an eye on.

Tina Moretti with the win establishes her as a threat to the AWA World Women's Championship. In a period where interest in women's wrestling was at an all-time low in American wrestling, I hope to see you make something - or what you can at least - of the landscape of the division here.

God I love the utilisation of advertisements to establish historical context and time. Fresh, sweet consumerism for the soul!

Classic segment with the Masked Man addressing Trooper, weeks after the loss to Manny Fernandez. Getting win allows Trooper to regain momentum building into what will surely be a return match of sorts. I'm curious as to seeing who the Masked Man is, if not just a guy on the roster not designed to be a device to debut someone new (or old).

Let's hope that AWA SuperClash 5 manages to sell out the Mecca Arena, given recent events in this universe. That is certainly a big and daunting task to undertake.

Jerry Lawler's promo was great, and I loved Cactus Jack's interruption. This may be the best thing going in the current bill for the AWA. Terrific promo here, and I look forward to hopefully seeing more to come of this situation. Cactus is clearly a new guy still at this point in time, but man, a feud with Lawler would make him in an instance.

I'll be curious to see if Diamond Dallas Page eventually steps between the ropes a la real life. For the time being, not a bad main event with Badd Co. and Jonnie Stewart overcoming Tom Zenk, Sam Houston and Tommy Jammer.

AWA All-Star Wrestling: 3rd Taping - July 1990:

One thing about the AWA is its' insistence on honouring tradition, and as such, sadly, Wahoo McDaniel as a fifty-one year old man is fitting as the AWA World Heavyweight Champion. Hopefully we are to see some more youthful talents arise to take the top of the cards by storm, in due time.

It felt like quite a run-of-the-mill taping, as to be expected from a syndicated programme such as All-Star Wrestling. I liked the Scott Norton interview, and it really set things up for the anticipated tag team match. It is shows like these that really help get over the importance of television elements in order to build and longivate ongoing storylines, whilst also serving to preserve the excitement of the fanbase.

I admittedly don't know an awful lot about the PWHC Championship, but can safely presume its' intention is to establish Greg Valentine as a no-good cheat with his own vanity strap. It certainly set the scene for Valentine to challenge Wahoo McDaniel, in what will surely be a true battle of the ages between two men on the verge of mid-life. At least the star power is there.

More villainous words from the Masked Man, who is clearly out to ruin Trooper's career.

Wahoo McDaniel defeating the famed Dennis Stamp made for a strong feature of the show. I'd argue it was probably worth of main eventing the episode, given it's the AWA World Champion. That said, we can't fault the utilisation of Tommy Rich and Ken Patera in the main event position. Strong main event victory for Patera.
DTP.

Thank you for the comments. Much appreciated.

Since I did away with the Jr. Heavyweight Title and put the TV Title on ice, I decided to create a new belt: the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship.

Regarding one thing you mentioned in here, be sure to catch the next show post bc it's like you're reading my mind, man!

Glad you enjoyed Lawler-Jack. As they say on TV... stay tuned!

Women's wrestling back then just wasn't a big deal. They get one match a show which is more than they got most places back then not named GLOW, POWW or the LPWA.

You know who Dennis Stamp is?! :D

I try to give my shows the feel of the time period as best I can, with things like heel/face aisles, post-match in-ring interviews, etc. As I like to say, people write what they know when it comes to BTB's.

Things are starting to pick up steam under the new owners. Hope you'll keep checking in to see what happens next.

Times they are a changin'!