AWA 1989: A Financial Savior Is (Badly) Needed

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
Hey Spider!

Haven't seen your name around here in a while.

You bringing back the Billy Idol-run IWC? Was really enjoying it.

Reactions: Spider Matthau

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
1671665700022.png

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING SYNDICATED TAPING RESULTS - ROCHESTER, MN - MAYO CIVIC CENTER - DECEMBER 1989

In-Studio Host: Larry Nelson

Match Commentator: Lee Marshall

Color Commentator: Lord James Blears

(# means aired on a previous AWA show.)

(NOTE: LAST SHOW BEFORE BRAWL IN ST. PAUL 2.)

(3rd Taping Recap)

Larry Nelson welcomed viewers to a special Christmas edition of ASW:

TV MAIN EVENT: MIXED TAG MATCH: Jerry Blackwell & Wendi Richter vs. Jonnie Stewart & Magnificent Mimi (AWA Women's WC - w/ Mgr. Valerie)

ONE-ON-ONE: Ken Patera vs. Wayne Bloom (1/2 WTTC)

ONE-ON-ONE: Brad Rheingans vs. Mike Enos (1/2 WTTC)

Final words from Sgt. Slaughter (WC) and challenger Stan Hansen before they clash for the World Title at Brawl In St. Paul 2

Another Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament Update with PWI's Bill Apter

An announcement about the final match added to BISP 2

And more!

Nelson sent it to the ring in Rochester.

Tom Zenk won a squash match over Stan Laurel via pinfall with a missle dropkick

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Tom Zenk. The day is rapidly approaching when you will be facing Col. DeBeers in a coal miner's glove match.

Zenk: Larry, Col. DeBeers thinks he's got this match locked up because it's his specialty match because he's from South Africa and that's where the coal miner's glove match originated!

But I know...I know...with every fiber of my being that I can beat him at his own game!

When we have our coal miner's glove match...I'm gonna make a Joe Namath-like guarantee right now! I am winning!

Nelson: Whoa, Tom! That's an awfully big burden to place on your shoulders! DeBeers has never lost a coal miner's glove match!

You beating DeBeers in this match would indeed be like the Jets upsetting the Colts in Super Bowl 3!

Zenk: People can think I'm crazy if they want to! They think it was insane to challenge DeBeers to a coal miner's glove match in the first place!

But I want to beat that racist pig at his own game! I am gonna be the one who finally puts him down for the count in his own specialty match!

When I get my hands on that glove, DeBeers, I will show you no mercy!

Most fans cheered.

Nelson: Tom Zenk, everybody!

Pic aired of the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship with the caption: NEXT... TOURNEY UPDATE!

Commercials

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd the latest Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament Update with PWI's Bill Apter.

VIDEO:

Apter was standing in front of the PWI logo in a suit and tie with mic in hand.

Apter: Greeting, wrestling fans!

This is Bill Apter from Pro Wrestling Illustrated with this week's Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament Update.

We'll be telling you in a moment about the newest entrant into the tournament and he's a major wrestling star.

The Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament will take place on Saturday, February 17th, 1990, at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California.

The tournament will take place over two sessions on the 17th. The afternoon session, which will feature the eight opening round matches of the tournament, has a bell time of 12:30pm. The evening session will feature the quarter-finals, semi-finals and tournament final and has a bell time of 7:i30pm.

We already have three declared entrants into the tournament. They are: Riki Choshu from Japan, Carlos Colon from Puerto Rico and Perro Aguyao from Mexico.

Now, we have our first American entrant into the tournament.

He hails from the great state of Texas. He's been a champion as both a single and in tag teams many times over. He was also one of the original Four Horseman.

He is...Tully Blanchard!

Tully's coming to the AWA and he's gunning for the sport's newest championship.

Now, let's take a look at Tully in action.

(Just pretend the first minute-plus that you see is what you'd see on TV.)

APTER: The Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship is shaping up to be an exciting, historic event.

We'll announce another entrant during next week's update.

For tickets, contact Ticket Master or the Anaheim Convention Center Box office at (714) 555-1812.

Anaheim is a great place to be in the winter and there are lots of fun things to do. From visiting the Pacific Ocean to visiting Disneyland, to good food and top-notch hotel accommodations, Anaheim has it all.

Get your tickets now, wrestling fans, and be a part of history in-person. Be the guy who tells his friends: I was there when they crowned the first-ever Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion.

I'm Bill Apter. Until next time.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... GREAT AWA ACTION!

Commercials/Market-Specific promos for upcoming house shows/Generic promos for non-house show cities

Mike Enos (1/2 WTTC) vs. Brad Rheingans

Brad came out to a decent amount of cheers and Enos to pretty strong boos but he had his fans.

Ref called for the bell.

The two men came out of their corners and engaged in a collar-and-elbow tie-up. Rheingans drove Enos into the corner and the ref ordered a break. Enos raised his hands in a clean break. The two men circled one another and engaged in another collar-and-elbow tie-up and Brad drove Enos into the corner again. Ref ordered a break and it was clean once again. The two up and engaged in a third collar-and-elbow tie-up and Enos got the advantage and caught Brad in a hammerlock. Brad tried to escape but Enos cinched up on the hold. Brad finally reversed and caught Enos in a hammerlock and drove Enos to the mat with the hammerlock still on. Brad cinched up on the hold and then drove a series of knees into Enos' back with the hold still applied. Brad up and now had Enos locked in an arm bar. Enos to a knee. Brad cinched up on the hold and Enos winced in pain. Enos slowly to his feet locked in the arm bar. Enos tried maneuvering his way out of the arm bar but Brad kept it firmly locked in. Enos maneuvered around and got his foot briefly on the middle rope before Bard yanked Enos away from the ropes still locked in the hold, Enos back down to a knee. Brad shifted to a wristlock on Enos. Enos to his feet Brad flipped Enos over onto his back while still locked in the hold. Enos responded with a kick with both feet from his back into Brad's gut. Brad lost his grip on the hold and fell back against the ropes holding his gut. Enos up and moved in with an uppercut on Rheingans. Enos then slammed Brad's head into the top buckle. Brad spun around in the corner. Enos nailed Brad with a rapid-fire series of shoulder blocks to the gut. Enos pulled Brad out of the corner and nailed Brad with a suplex followed by and elbow smash to the chest and the cover. 1...2... Brad kicked out. Both men to their feet and Enos caught Brad with a kick to the gut, whipped Brad into the ropes and caught Brad coming off with an overhead belly-to-belly suplex. Brad down and hurting. Enos over and stomped on Brad, snapped Brad up and raked Brad's eyes across the top rope. Enos broke the illegal move at the ref's count of 4. Brad in a bad way holding his eyes. Enos came up behind Brad and hit Brad with a trio of deliberate double sledges to the back. Enos whipped Brad into the buckles and charged in and looked to blast Brad with a running clothesline but Brad moved and Enos slammed front-first into the buckles. Crowd cheered. Brad up as Enos extracted himself from the buckles. Enos turned and walked right into a series of punches from Rheingans. Brad went to whip Enos into the ropes but Enos reversed and looked to catch Brad coming off with a backdrop but Brad instead caught Enos in a front facelock and turned it into a swinging neckbreaker. Crowd cheered. Brad for the cover. 1...2... Enos kicked out. Brad up and snapped Enos up into a side headlock. Brad worked over the headlock. Enos in pain trying to figure out how to escape. After a brief struggle, Enos countered with a belly-to-back suplex. Enos up and Brad was sitting up and Enos booted Brad in the back. Enos snapped Brad up, whipped Brad into the ropes and caught Brad coming off with a scoop powerslam for the pin. Brad kicked out. 1...2...thr... Crowd cheered. Enos up and argued with the ref and Enos slapped his hands together quickly three times signaling it was three count but the ref waved it off. While that was going on, Brad recovered enough to crawl up behind Enos and roll Enos up from behind for the pin. 1...2... Enos kicked out. Crowd groaned. Both men to their feet. Enos swung wildly at Brad and missed and Brad caught Enos with a gut punch followed by a speedy gutwrench suplex. Enos down and hurting. Brad snapped Enos up and slammed Enos head-first into the top buckle. Brad pulled Enos out of the corner and whipped Enos into the ropes but Enos caught the top rope, dropped down and rolled out of the ring to the floor. Enos walking around on the floor.

Brad went to leave the ring to go after Enos but the ref intercepted Brad and ordered Brad to stand back. Brad had words with the ref. While they were arguing, Enos reached into the ring and pulled Brad's legs out from under him. Brad crashed to the mat. Enos pulled Brad out of the ring down to the floor. Enos punched Brad and slammed Brad's head into the apron and then threw Brad into the ring post. Brad went down on the floor. Ref counting the 10-count. Enos quickly rolled in and out of the ring to break the ref's count. Brad getting up on the floor. Enos grabbed Brad and threw him back into the ring. Enos followed Brad in and punched Brad and went to whip Brad into the ropes but Brad reversed and stunned Enos coming off with a belly-to-belly suplex. Crowd popped. Brad for the cover and hooked the leg. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the fans had a nice reaction to the finish. Rheingans up and the ref raised his hand in victory. Enos rolled out of the ring and dropped to his feet on the floor.

As Brad stood in the ring catching his breath, Enos decided to come back into the ring. Enos was sneaking up behind Rheingans when Rhenigans turned and saw Enos at the last minute and Enos walked right into another belly-to-belly suplex from Rheingans to the delight of the crowd. Rheingans up and glared down at Enos as the segment ended.

WINNER: Rheingans - Pinfall - 7:14

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... PATERA VS. BLOOM!

Commercials

Wayne Bloom (1/2 WTTC) vs. Ken Patera

Announcers hyped the clash for the World Tag Team Titles at Brawl In St. Paul 2 on Christmas night at the St. Paul Civic Center.

Patera came to the ring to a solid ovation.

Bloom charged down the heel aisle, hit the ring and went right at Patera.

Ref called for the bell as the the two engaged in a punch exchange. Bloom gained the upper hand and whipped Patera into the ropes and looked to catch Patera coming off with a clothesline but Patera ducked the move and came back and pulverized Bloom with a clothesline of his own that sent Bloom crashing to the mat as the crowd roared. Patera dropped down on Bloom's chest and started pounding Bloom with head shots. Patera off of Bloom and Bloom rolled over and Patera stomped Bloom.

Blears: Lee, Patera may have made a mistake. He might have been able to pin Bloom right after that devastating clothesline. I know he wants to inflict maximum punishment but you also want to win the match.

Patera snapped Bloom up and slammed Bloom's head into the top buckle 10 times as the crowd counted along. Bloom leaned against the buckles facing the crowd. Patera spun Bloom around and whipped Bloom into the opposite buckles and charged in on Bloom but Bloom got a foot up and Patera slammed into it face-first and crashed to the mat. Bloom left the ring and dropped to the floor. Bloom regaining his bearings. Bloom grabbed an empty steel chair, folded it up and threw it into the ring as Patera was getting up. Bloom climbed back into the ring as the ref picked up the chair. Bloom tried to grab the chair from the ref but the ref held it up and away from Bloom. Patera came up behind Bloom, grabbed Bloom and ran Bloom forward and Bloom's head hit the chair and Patera rolled up Bloom for the pin as the crowd popped. Ref tossed the chair. Crowd popped like a bad appendix. 1...2... Bloom kicked out. Crowd groaned. Patera reached down to pull Bloom up when Bloom caught Patera with a punch to the groin area. Patera fell back against the ropes. Ref admonished Bloom. Bloom moved in and nailed Patera with a series of punches. Bloom whipped Patera into the ropes and blasted Patera coming off with a clothesline. Patera crashed to the mat. Bloom knelt down on top of Patera and started blatanly choking Patera with his hands. Bloom broke the illegal move at the ref's count of 4. Bloom released the hold and stood up with his hands in the air signaling the break. Bloom held his hands in the air as he proceeded to choke Patera out with his boot. Once again, Bloom broke the illegal move at the count of 4. Patera rolled over on his side holding his throat and Bloom stomped away on Patera's back. Patera draped his arm out over the bottom rope and the ref forced Bloom to step back. Ref started the 10 count. Barely into the count, Bloom went over and stomped Patera in the head. Bloom yanked Patera up and whipped Patera into the ropes and caught Patera coming off with a high backdrop. Patera rolled out on the apron. Bloom went over and booted Patera off the apron down to the floor. Ref tried to order Bloom to stand down but that went over like a fart in church. Bloom left the ring, dropped to the floor, snapped Patera up and rammed Patera twice back-first into the ring apron. Bloom grabbed Patera and slammed Patera's head into the ring steps. Patera back down on the floor. Bloom climbed into the ring threw his fists in the air to loud boos. Bloom climbed out on the apron as Patera slowly made it to his feet. Patera up and Bloom came off with a double axe handle to the head but Patera instead caught Bloom with a shot to the gut. Ref counting. Bloom went to hit Patera but Patera blocked the punch try and nailed Bloom with punches and threw Bloom into the ring steps. Bloom down. Patera quickly rolled in and out of the ring just before the ref's count hit 10. Bloom getting up by the steps and Patera came over and slammed Bloom's head into the top ring step a couple of times. Bloom staggered off. Ref counting. Patera came up behind Bloom and caught Bloom with a double sledge to the back and threw Bloom back into the ring. Bloom to his feet as Patera climbed back in the ring. Bloom backed up and tried to beg off but backed himself into the buckles. Patera blasted Bloom with a trio of forearms to the chest and laid into Bloom with a series of shoulder blocks to the gut. Patera pulled Bloom out of the corner, whipped Bloom into the ropes and caught Bloom coming off with a bearhug. Crowd roared like the engines at Daytona. Bloom struggling not to submit in the hold. Patera cinched up on the hold. Bloom mounted the strength clap the sides of Patera's head with his arms. Patera lost his grip on the hold. Bloom dropped to a knee. Patera snapped Bloom up whipped Bloom into the ropes and looked to catch Bloom coming off with a high backdrop but Bloom caught Patera with a kick to the chest. Patera shot up, stumbled back and Bloom blasted Patera with a running clothesline. Patera down. Bloom grabbed the top rope and nailed Patera with a series of jumping stomps. Ref counting. Bloom broke the illegal move at the count of 4.

Bloom snapped Patera up and whipped Patera into the buckles. Bloom charged in and went for a running shoulder block but Patera moved and Bloom slammed shoulder-first into the post. Bloom welded to the post. Patera rolled Bloom up from behind for the pin. 1...2...thr... Bloom kicked Patera off. Patera moved in to grab Bloom, who was on his knees, but Bloom grabbed Patera's legs and pulled them out from under the Olympian. Bloom for the pin. 1... Bloom placed both feet on the middle rope for leverage. ...2...3! Ref called for the bell as most in the crowd booed. Ref raised Bloom's hand in victory as Patera glared at him. Bloom laughed at Patera and Bloom raised his hands in defiant victory right in front of Patera. Patera went after Bloom but Bloom was able to bail to the safety of the floor just as Patera took an angry swipe at him and barely missed Bloom.

Bloom looked up at Patera from the floor and Patera glared down at Bloom as the segment ended.

WINNER: Bloom - Pinfall - 9:29

Pic aired of the AWA World Title with the caption: NEXT... FINAL WORDS!

Commercials/Market-Specific promos for upcoming house shows/Generic promos for non-house show cities

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd footage of the confrontation between Stan Hansen and AWA World Champion Sgt. Slaughter from AWA on ESPN two weeks ago.

VIDEO:

# Hansen: Sgt. Slaughter! I know you're here! And if you don't come out right now I'm gonna lariat this son of a gun over and over again until you do!

I might just knock his head into the third row!

Get out here, Sarge! Or this guy gets it!

Hansen tossed the mic aside and stomped around the ring waiting for Sarge but there was no sign of the champ.

Hansen picked up on a mic.

Hansen: OK! I warned you, Sarge! You call yerself the World Champion?!

Hansen quick stomped Squier, snapped Squier up, whipped Squier into the ropes and blasted Squier coming off with another lariat.

Squier crumpled to the mat,

Hansen waited a few seconds and pulled Squire to his feet.

Crowd popped as Sarge in his ring attire and carrying the belt, charged down the face aisle, dropped the belt on the apron, climbed into the ring and nailed Hansen from behind. Hansen lost his grip on Squier who crumpled to the mat and disappeared like jobbers do in these situations.

Sarge hammered away on Hansen before Hansen fought back and the two were brawling in the ring as the fans cheered the battle.The two were slugging it out when several face and heel wrestlers and AWA officials hit the ring and separated the two. The warring factions were kept apart by the wall of wrestlers and officials.

The two exchanged heated words over the wall before Sarge broke through the barrier and jumped on Hansen and started hammering Hansen to the delight of the crowd. Hansen fought back and the wrestlers and officials once again separated the pair and again did the wall thing to keep them apart.

Hansen and Sarge jawed at each other over the wall as the program ended.

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd pre-recorded final comments from Stan Hansen and AWA World Champeen Sgt. Slaughter as they get ready to battle for the belt at Brawl In St. Paul 2.

VIDEO:

Video opened with Stan Hansen in street clothes and cowboy hat with mic in hand standing in front of the AWA logo.

Stan: These are the last words you're gonna be hearin' from me before my match with Sgt. Slaughter for the World Title at Brawl In St. Paul 2 on Christmas night!

On that night, Stan Hansen is becoming a repo man!

Because I'm gonna repossess that World Championship belt and become the AWA World Champion for the second time!

It will be a glorious moment in AWA history when the referee raises my hand in victory!

I've come back here on a mission, dammit, and I intend to complete that mission!

I aim to turn America's Hero into America's Zero in the span of three seconds!

And to all you Sgt. Slaughter fans out there, get ready!

Because on Christmas night at the St. Paul Civic Center I'm gonna leave one big lump of coal in everybody's Christmas stockings when I walk out of the ring with that belt around my waist one more time!

Pic flipped and Sgt. Slaughter was standing in his camo gear, DI hat and sunglasses with the World Title slung over his left shoulder with mic in hand in front of the AWA logo.

Sarge: Wrestling on Christmas night has had a long and glorious tradition.

And it continues this year with Brawl In St. Paul 2.

Stan Hansen. you've come out and run your mouth for weeks now.

You were gonna break a guy's neck if I didn't come out and confront you in the ring!

And the people saw what happened!

I came! I saw! I fought!

The people who saw us brawl got just a small taste of what's going to happen in St. Paul December 25!

Our match may be for this World Title! But it's gonna be anything but a wrestling match!

Hansen! You're one of the best brawlers in all of wrestling! But so am I!

We're both tough as nails! We know what it takes to fight and win! We've both been World Champions!

But now, as we enter a new decade, change is in the air!

The world is changing around us!

But I aim to keep one thing the same!

And that's keeping this belt around my waist as we head into 1990!

See you in St. Paul, Hansen!

END VIDEO

Pic aired of the AWA logo surrounded by a Christmas wreath with the caption: MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM THE AWA!

Commercials

TV MAIN EVENT

MIXED TAG TEAM MATCH: Jerry Blackwell & Wendi Richter vs. Jonnie Stewart & Magnificent Mimi (AWA Women's WC - w/ Mgr. Valerie)

Announcers pointed out that the men could only be in the ring with each other and the women could only fight each other.

Blackwell and Richter were heavily cheered and Stewart, Mimi and Valerie were heavily booed.

The men started the match for their teams.

Announcers briefly discussed Blackwell's situation with announcer Lee Marshall.

Ref called for the bell.

Stewart and Blackwell came out of their corners and walked up to each other and engaged in a brief staredown before Stewart struck a muscleman pose to the boos of the crowd. Big boy Blackwell then flexed himself and the crowd cheered wildly. Stewart turned and started to walk away from Blackwell in disgust at the fan reaction. Stewart then quickly hooked a u-turn and went to punch Blackwell but Blackwell blocked the punch try and fired away on Stewart with punches of his own. Blackwell picked up the stunned Stewart and bodyslammed Stewart. Blackwell went for an elbow smash but Stewart rolled out of the way and Blackwell crashed to the mat. Both men up and Stewart nailed Blackwell with a kick to the gut. Stewart moved in with punches. Stewart whipped Blackwell into the corner. Stewart moved in and choked Blackwell out with his boot. Ref counting. Stewart broke the illegal move at the ref's count of 4. Stewart repeated the move and broke again at the count of 4. Stewart started strutting around in the ring to the boos of the crowd. Stewart turned and moved in on Blackwell in the corner but Blackwell stunned Stewart with a headbutt and Stewart crashed to the mat. Blackwell stomped Stewart, snapped Stewart up and whipped Stewart into the ropes but Stewart caught the top rope and dived over and tagged in Mimi. Mimi stepped in the ring and walked up to...Blackwell.

Mimi picked up on a mic

Mimi: Come on, big boy! I'll take you on!

Blackwell chuckled and tagged in a revved up Wendi Richter to a large pop from the crowd.

Richter and Mimi tore into each other with a wicked punch exchange. Mimi got the upper hand and went to whip Wendi into the ropes but Wendi reversed and blasted Mimi coming off with a dropkick. Mimi crashed to the mat. Mimi up and Richter grabbed Mimi by the hair and slammed Mimi's head into the top buckle. Mimi spun around in the corner and Richter pounded her with forearms to the chest, grabbed Mimi by the hair and whipped her out of the corner and down to the mat. Valerie jumped up on the apron and yelled at the ref that Wendi fouled Mimi. Ref came over and ordered Valerie off the apron but Valerie continued to argue with the ref. Richter came over and had words with Valerie and Valerie slapped Richter and Richter grabbed Valerie by the front of her jacket and was shaking her. Mimi recovered and came up behind Richter and clubbed Richter in the back. Richter lost her grip on Val. Valerie dropped back to the floor. Mimi spun Richter around and caught Richter with an open hand chop to the chest and then hit Richter with a suplex into a float over for the pin. 1... Wendi kicked out. Mimi up and Wendi on her hands and knees and Mimi grabbed Richter by the hair and slammed Richter's head into the mat a couple of times. Mimi snapped Richter up and whipped Richter into her team's corner. Mimi hit Richter with a series of knees to the gut and tagged in Stewart. Stewart climbed in the ring and feigned like he was gonna hit Wendi. Blackwell climbed into the ring to go after Stewart but the ref intercepted Blackwell. Stewart started mouthing off to Blackwell. Behind Stewart's, Blackwell's and the ref's back, Mimi took the opportunity to strangle Richter with the tag rope. Crowd yelling for the ref to turn around. Ref ordered Blackwell back out on the apron. Blackwell back out and Stewart continued needling Blackwell since, as pointed out by the announcers, Richter had to tag Blackwell in. Ref turned just as Mimi stopped the strangling party. Richter holding her throat and staggered out of the corner. Stewart yelling at Wendi in the ring and telling her to hurry up and make the tag. Wendi tagged in Blackwell. Stewart drove a knee into the side of Mount Blackwell as he was climbing through the ropes. Stewart started pounding away on Blackwell. Stewart whipped Blackwell into the ropes and caught Blackwell coming off with a dropkick. Blackwell fell back against the ropes and bounced forward. Stewart then did a sweep of Blackwell's leg Kobra Kai-style and Blackwell crumpled to the mat. Stewart ran and hit the ropes and came off with a running elbow smash that connected. Stewart for the cover. 1...2... Blackwell kicked out. Crowd cheered. Stewart up as Blackwell was getting up and Stewart moved in with punches to the rib cage. Stewart then caught Blackwell with a kick to the gut. Stewart then grabbed Blackwell and after failing once to get Blackwell up, mounted every ounce of strength he had and suplexed Blackwell.

Blears: Wow!

Marshall: That was incredible! That took every last ounce of strength Stewart had to pull it off.

Stewart got up and everything looked fine.

And then...

Stewart: AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Blears: Well, looks like that suplex tore up his back.

Stewart grabbed his lower back and crashed down to the mat as the fans cheered. Blackwell made it to his feet as Stewart was sitting up in the ring. Blackwell pulled Stewart to his feet and blasted Stewart with a headbutt but held Stewart up and blasted Stewart with a second headbutt. Blackwell let go and Stewart toppled to the mat. Blackwell nailed Stewart with a leg drop from the standing position. Blackwell for the cover. 1...2...thr... Stewart got a shoulder up. Crowd did not groan because they knew it was not the finish. Blackwell stood up, looked out at the crowd and then at Richter and back at the crowd and then pointed at Richter as the crowd cheered. Blackwell tagged in Richter as a hurting Stewart crawled over and tagged in Mimi. Mimi lunged at Richter and missed and Richter came back with a series of punches. Richter whipped Mimi into the corner and charged in and monkey flipped Mimi out of the corner. Mimi up and Richter charged over and leveled Mimi with a running clothesline. Richter down on top of Mimi. Richter started pounding the back of Mimi's head into the mat to the delight of the crowd. Richter for the cover. 1...2... Mimi kicked out. Richter snapped Mimi up by the hair and charged over looking to slam Mimi's head into the top buckle but Mimi pushed Richter off and Richter slammed front-first into the buckles. Richter walked away holding her chest and Mimi quickly regained her bearings and came up behind Richter and caught her three times with the dreaded back scratch of doom. Richter in pain. Richter spun around and Mimi nailed Richter with a savate kick to the gut. Richter crashed to the mat. Mimi then brazenly stepped on Richter's stomach with both feet. Richter on her side holding her gut. Mimi then dragged Richter around the ring by the hair as Stewart applauded her. Mimi then rubbed her boot laces across the side of Richter's face. Mimi briefly soaked in the negative crowd reaction. Richter had crawled over by the ropes and her head and shoulders* hanging out over the middle rope. Mimi went to grab Richter, but the ref orderede Mimi to stand back. As Mimi had words with the ref, Valerie came over and punched Richter hard in the face. Mimi suddenly ignored the ref and peeled Richter off the middle rope. Mimi snapped Richter up and nailed her with a side breaker across the knee. Mimi then went out on the apron and mounted the top buckle as Richter slowly made it to her feet. Richter up and turned and Mimi went for her missle dropkcik finisher but Richter fell out of the way and Mimi crashed to the mat. Both women down. Stewart hit the ring to attack Richter but Blackwell charged in and steamrolled Stewart. Crowd went nuts. Stewart crashed to the mat, rolled out of the ring and crashed to the floor as Blackwell followed him out. Ref started the 10-count. Both women to their feet before 10 and Richter stunned Mimi with a big boot to the face Mimi crumpled to the mat. Richter snatched Mimi up and blasted Mimi with a powerbomb for the pin. 1...2...3! Crowd popped like a lanced boil as the ref called for the bell. Valerie in shock at ringside as the program ended.

WINNER: Blackwell & Richter - 10:25

END PROGRAM

Wendi Richter – Online World of Wrestling

WILL SHE REGAIN THE BELT CHRISTMAS NIGHT???!!!

(* Head and Shoulders reminded me of an old joke.

Q: How did the paramedics know Vic Morrow had dandruff?

A: They found his head and shoulders in the bushes!

I know most here probably won't get it. Just look up Vic Morrow and you'll understand it.

But it made me laugh thinking about it so I posted the joke! )

Last edited:

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
LAST CHANCE!

For predictions for Brawl In St. Paul 2!

Show will be posted this Friday, March 24!

AWA World Title: Sgt. Slaughter (WC) vs. Stan Hansen

AWA Women's Championship: Magnificent Mimi (WC - w/ Mgr. Valerie) vs. Wendi Richter

AWA World Tag Team Titles: Destruction Crew (WTTC) vs. Ken Patera & Brad Rheingans

COAL MINER'S GLOVE MATCH: Tom Zenk vs. Col. DeBeers

BATTLE ROYAL WINNER: Ricky Rice (Top Guns), Derrick Dukes (Top Guns), Pa tTanaka (Badd Co.). Paul Diamond (Badd Co.), Wahoo McDaniel, Don Muraco, Greg Gagne, Jake Milliman, Akio Sato, Jerry Blackwell, Manny Fernandez, Jonnie Stewart. The Trooper, Larry Zbyszko, Tommy Rich, Cactus Jack

WINNER OF THE PREDICTION CONTEST GETS A SPECIAL VIDEO PRIZE!

Could be a wrestling video or music video or comedy, horror or action video!​

Last edited:

Spider Matthau

Eighth-Legged Wonder Of The World
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Hey Spider!

Haven't seen your name around here in a while.

You bringing back the Billy Idol-run IWC? Was really enjoying it.
Excellent work man! I am going to catch up on all your stuff here in a bit. I do plan to bring back my Idol BTB but I'm rewriting it a bit. Few ideas I wanted to play around with. Glad to see a fellow fan of this era.

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
Excellent work man! I am going to catch up on all your stuff here in a bit. I do plan to bring back my Idol BTB but I'm rewriting it a bit. Few ideas I wanted to play around with. Glad to see a fellow fan of this era.

Glad you're enjoying the BTB. Looking forward to the Billy 'Rebel Yell' Idol BTB coming back. Thought it had died with WC.

My fave era of wrestling: '70s-'90s.

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
Before we get to Brawl In St. Paul 2...

This is Stan Hansen's last AWA World Title defense. The next night he would be stripped of the belt in Denver (he makes mention of the Denver match in his post-match interview here) because of a business disagreement with Verne Gagne.

Will he win the title a second time at Brawl In St. Paul 2?

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
BRAWL IN ST. PAUL 2

MONDAY - DECEMBER 25, 1989

ST. PAUL CIVIC CENTER - ST. PAUL, MN

BELL TIME: 7:00 PM CST

CARD BEGINS AIRING ON KMSP CH. 9 AT 8:00 PM CST

ATTENDANCE:

(NOTE: I will not be posting the resuls for the Slaughter-Hansen or DeBeers-Zenk match here since they will be airing on the AWA cable show in two weeks following BISP2.)

RESULTS

DARK MATCHES (Took place in the 7:00 hour.)

Greg Valentine won a squash match over Cal Worthington via submission with his figure 4 leglock finisher - TIME: 5:17

Sam Houston (w/ Coach Dick Murdoch) won a squash match over George Carlin via pinfall with his bulldog finisher - TIME: 6:03

Kokina Maximus (w/ Sheik Adnan El- Kaissey but not the Masked Doctor) won a squash match over Tom Stone via pinfall with his butt drop to the chest from the middle buckle finisher - TIME: 5:28

(After the match: Kokina stretchered Stone to the back.)

TELEVISED PORTION OF THE SHOW (Started at 8:00.)

$50,000 CHRISTMAS NIGHT BATTLE ROYAL

PARTICIPANTS: The Top Guns, Badd Company, Wahoo McDaniel, Don Muraco, Jake Milliman, Greg Gagne, Akio Sato, Tommy Rich, Cactus Jack, Jerry Blackwell, Manny Fernandez, Jonnie Stewart, The Trooper, Larry Zbyszko

Shot of a briefcase on the timekeeper's table containing the $50 grand

ORDER OF ELIMINATION:

1 - Fernandez - Eliminator: Milliman - 1:33

2 - Greg Gagne - Eliminator: Zbyszko - 2:08

3 - Muraco - Eliminator: Badd Company - 2:56

4 - Stewart - Eliminator: Blackwell - 3:29

5 - Milliman - Eliminator: Rich - 4:03

6 - Cactus Jack - Eliminator: The Trooper - 5:11

7 - The Trooper - Eliminator: Larry Zbyszko - 5:17

8 - Akio Sato - Eliminator: Wahoo - 5:59

9 - Blackwell - Eliminators: Badd Co. & Rich - 7:02

10 - Zbyszko - Eliminator: Ricky Rice - 7:23

11 - Wahoo - Eliminator: Paul Diamond - 8:06

12 - Rich - Eliminator: Dukes - 8:24

13 - Dukes - Eliminator: Badd Co. - 9:37

This left Rice of the Top Guns and Badd Company...

14 - Tanaka - Eliminator: Rice - 10: 48

15 - Diamond - Eliminator: Rice - 12:01

WINNER: Rice - 12:01

DDP was livid about Rice of the Guns winning the match.

Rice was handed the briefcase in the ring during a post-match interview by ring announcer Larry Nelson. As Rice and Nelson faced the camera, DDP snuck back down the aisle into the ring and came up behind Rice and struck Rice in the back with his cane. Rice went down and lost his hold on the briefcase. DDP shoved Larry Nelson out of the way and swiped the briefcase, bolted the ring and beat a hasty retreat back up the heel aisle.

Announcers Lee Marshall and Lord James Blears wondered what was going to happen to that money now that it was in DDP's possession.

Graphic came up on the screen that read: COMING UP! AWA WORLD TITLE MATCH!

Commercials

AWA WORLD TITLE MATCH: Sgt. Slaughter (WC) vs. Stan Hansen

Hansen came to the ring to strong boos but had his fans. Hansen was wearing his ring attire, chaps, and black cowboy hat. He had his bullrope and cowbell with him and thrashed the bullrope around on his way down the heel aisle to the ring. Once in the ring, Hansen continued the bullrope thrashing and started the loud cowbell waving and let out a gutteral yell.

Sgt. Slaughter came out to the Marine Corps Hymn to a solid ovation. He was in his ring attire, DI hat and had the World Title slung over his shoulder. Sarge handed out little American flags on the way to the ring, Sarge climbed into the ring and walked to two different sides of the ring and saluted the fans. When Sarge went to the third side of the ring to salute the fans, Hansen struck.

Hansen came up behind Sarge and struck Sarge in the back of the head with his cowbell. Sarge crashed down to the mat. Hansen grabbed the top rope and stomped away on Sarge. Referee Marty Miller tried to get Hansen to back off but Hansen raised his hand to strike Miller and Miller backed away. Hansen snapped up Sarge and threw Sarge over the top rope and Sarge crashed down to the floor. Ref Miller called for the bell to try and restore order to no avail.

Hansen followed Sarge to the floor. Sarge getting up and Hansen moved in and pounded away on the champ. Hansen then slammed Sarge head-first into the post. Sarge went down. Hansen looked out at the crowd and yelled. A tasty beverage flew in Hansen's direction courtesy of a fan. Hansen then went over and yanked the timekeeper out of his chair at the timekeeper's table and grabbed the steel chair and folded it up. A bloody Sarge made it to his feet as Hansen came over. Sarge turned and Hansen brought the chair down on top of Sarge's head sending Sarge crumpling back to the concrete floor.

Fans cheered as AWA face wrestlers and officials came rushing down the face aisle to defend Sarge. Fans popped as Sam Houston shoved Hansen away from Sarge and the two got into a brief scuffle before wrestlers and officials separated the two. Sarge down as the wrestlers and officials checked on him.

Announcers said they would have more on this situation after the break.

RESULT: No Match

Graphic appeared on the screen: COMING UP! AWA WOMEN'S WORLD TITLE MATCH!

Commercials

Back from commercial: Sarge was being helped back up the face aisle by the other face wrestlers. Sarge had his arms draped over the shoulders of two wrestlers to keep him steady because of the heavy bleeding.

Announcers said they would keep fans apprised of the situation throughout the remainder of the program.

Announcers pointed out that Richter had pinned Mimi on the last All-Star Wrestling in a mixed tag match where the belt was not on the line.

AWA WOMEN'S WORLD TITLE MATCH: Magnificent Mimi (WC - w/ Mgr. Valerie) vs. Wendi Richter

Richter came to the ring to a solid ovation from the crowd. Mimi and Valerie came out to a strong negative reaction.

Mimi held serve early in the match until Richter fought her way back into the battle. Richter had control for a time before the match turned into a fast-paced see-saw affair with some exciting near falls.

End of the match saw Mimi on the offensive. Mimi worked over Wendi and then dropped Wendi with a savate kick. Mimi for the cover. 1...2... Wendi kicked out. Both women up and Mimi kicked Wendi in the gut and then picked up Wendi for a bodyslam but Wendi surprised Mimi and caught her in a small package for the pin try. 1...2...thr... Mimi kicked out. Crowd loudly groaned. Both women up and Mimi caught Richter with a kick. Mimi hammered on Richter, whipped Richter into the ropes and looked to catch Richter coming off with a clothesline but Richter ducked the move and came back and caught Mimi with a flying crossbody for the pin. 1...2...thr... Mimi again barely kicked out to the frustration of the crowd. Both women up and Richter grabbed Mimi and Mimi caught Richter with a trio of elbow shots to the side of the ribs. Mimi free from Wendi's grasp. Mimi caught Richter with a series of forearm shivers followed by an inverted atomic drop. Richter crashed to the mat. Mimi rolled up Wendi for the pin. 1... Mimi grabbed a handful of tights. ...2...thr... Wendi kicked Mimi off and Mimi crashed back-first into the buckles. Valerie looking concerned at ringside. Richter up and moved in and popped Mimi in the head with a punch. Richter mounted the middle buckle over Mimi.Richter then looked out at the crowd as she raised her fist to strike Mimi again. Crowd egged Wendi on and Wendi hit Mimi in the head with five punches as the crowd counted along. Wendi whipped Mimi into the opposite buckles and charged in but Mimi got her foot up and Wendi slammed face-first into it. Wendi crashed to the mat. Wendi up as Mimi made her way out of the corner. Mimi reached down and grabbed Richter's legs and pulled them out from under the challenger. Wendi back down. Mimi held Wendi's legs and flipped over on top of Wendi for the pin. 1...2... Wendi bridged out and, after a brief struggle, caught Mimi in a backslide for the pin. 1...2...thr... Mimi kicked out. Crowd groaned. Both women up and Mimi walked right into a boot to the face from Richter. Mimi crashed to the mat.

Marshall: Shades of the end of the mixed tag team match, eh, Lord James?

Blears: We're about to find out if the finish will be the same as last time.

Richter snapped Mimi up and was hoisting the champ up for a powerbomb when Valerie hit the ring and clubbed Richter from behind. Richter lost her grip on Mimi. Valerie hit Richter from behind a couple of more times and threw Richter down to the mat. Ref called for the bell as the fans booed. Ref went over to where Larry Nelson was standing with the belt and took the title from him.

Just as soon as the ref turned around, Valerie snatched the belt from the ref's hands and she and Mimi bolted for the floor as Richter made it to her feet in the ring. Valerie handed the belt to Mimi who defiantly hoisted the title in the air with one hand as most of the fans booed but some cheered the champ.

Richter was livid in the ring and wanted to go after Mimi and Val but the ref intercepted her. Mimi and Val turned and started walking back up the heel aisle as Valerie turned, smiled and waved back at Wendi in a mocking fashion before the diabolical pair started their journey back up the aisle.

Nelson: In a time of 8 minutes, 52 seconds, your winner by disqualification...Wendi Richter!

Crowd cheered.

Nelson: However, because Richter did not win the match by pinfall or submission, Magnificent Mimi remains the champion!

Cheers turned to boos.

Richter walked over to where Nelson was and pulled the mic in her direction.

Richter: Larry Nelson! Everyone saw it! I had Mimi dead to rights! I had her beat! And then her manager interferes once again to save the belt for Mimi! I've had it!

I'm frustrated! The AWA needs to do its job and make it so my next match with Mimi is me vs. her and not Mimi and Valerie! This is bullcrap!

Crowd cheered as Richter stormed out of the ring and headed back up the face aisle to a good amount of cheers.

WINNER: Richter - DQ - 8:52

Announcers said they'd have an update on Sgt. Slaughter after the break.

Graphic aired with the caption: COMING UP! WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH!

Commercials

Back from commercials: Shot of announcers Lee Marshall and Lord James Blears. The team said Larry Nelson had an update on the status of Sgt. Slaughter.

Larry Nelson was in-ring with mic in hand.

Nelson: Ladies and gentlemen. Sgt. Slaughter was examined backstage by medical personnel and they suggested Sgt. Slaughter not wrestle tonight.

Vociferous crowd boos.

Nelson: However, Sgt. Slaughter has demanded to defend the title tonight against Stan Hansen.

Boos turned to loud cheers.

Nelson: The state athletic commission has said they will not stand in the way of Slaughter's request but will not be responsible for any injuries sustained by Slaughter in the match.

AWA officials have also decided to let the match go forward even though they think that Sgt. Slaughter should not wrestle.

But, it will be Slaughter defending the World Title against Stan Hansen in the match following the upcoming World Tag Team Title match.

Marshall: Lord James, do you think Sgt. Slaughter has made a bad decision here tonight?

Blears: Lee, even if the Sarge successfully defends the belt tonight, the further punishment inflicted by Stan Hansen, and he will inflict more punishment, could wind up costing Sgt. Slaughter down the line.

AWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Destruction Crew (WTTC) vs. Brad Rheingans & Ken Patera

Brad and Ken came to the ring to a good response from the crowd.

The Destruction Crew (Wayne Bloom & Mike Enos) came out to overwhelming boos but also had their fans.

Match started out on fire with Bloom and Patera slugging it out. Match turned into and exciting see-saw affair with both teams coming close to winning. The Destruction Crew took a couple of shortcuts during the bout to gain the upper hand.

End of the match saw Rheingans and Enos the legal men in the ring.Rheingans was on the offensive and whipped Enos into the ropes and looked to catch Enos coming off with a backdrop but Enos dropped to a knee and caught Rheingans with an upper cut. Rheingans staggered off. Enos hammered away on Rheingans, whipped Rheingans into the ropes and looked to backdrop Rheingans coming off but Rheingans caught Enos in a sunset flip try. After a brief struggle, Rheingans flipped Enos over in the sunset flip for the pin. 1...2...thr... Bloom hit the ring and booted Rheingans in the back to break the pin try. Patera hit the ring and charged over and pounced on Bloom to the delight of the crowd. Ref trying to restore order and get Patera and Bloom out of the ring. Enos stomped on Rhengans, snapped Rheingans and pulverized Rheingans with a short-arm clothesline. Rheingans down and hurting. Patera got the upper hand on Bloom and threw Bloom out of the ring through the top and middle rope down to the floor. Ref still distracted with Bloom and Ken and trying to get them back to their respective corners. Enos took the opportunity behind the ref's back to choke out Rheingans. Crowd yelling for the ref to turn around. Enos released the illegal hold. Enos snapped up Rheingans and whipped Rheingans into the buckles and Enos looked to hit Brad with a running clothesline in the corner but Rheingans moved and Enos slammed front-first into the buckles. Bloom had gained the advantage fighting with Patera on the floor and Bloom threw Patera into the ring steps Patera down on the floor. Bloom started to climb back up on the apron. Enos extricated himself from the buckles and walked right into a kick to the gut by Rheingans and Rheingans hit Enos with his cradle suplex into a bridgeout finisher for the pin. Crowd yelling for the ref to turn around. Ref over having words with Bloom and telling Bloom to get to his corner. Bloom was defiant and he and the ref kept arguing with one another. Crowd going crazy wanting the ref to turn around.

Marshall: Enos has been pinned for at least 12-15 seconds! The ref needs to get back to paying attention to the match!

Suddenly...

Marshall: Wait a minute! What's Valerie doing coming back to ringside?!

Blears: I don't like this one bit.

Valerie standing at ringside and watching the match.

Rheingans released Enos after what would have easily been a pinfall win and got up and walked over to the ref and Bloom. Rheingans reached over and grabbed Bloom and the ref was caught in between the two. Enos to his feet behind the trio. After a brief struggle, Brad released Bloom and turned back to Enos. Enos charged over and almost decapitated Brad with a running clothesline. Brad slammed to the mat. Patera had recovered and yanked Bloom off the apron down to the floor. Enos covered Brad and hooked the leg as the ref turned around. Ref counted. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the fans booed. Valerie immediately turned and walked to the back. Fighting between Patera and Bloom quickly petered out on the floor.

Ref went over and took the belts from Larry Nelson and briefly talked with him.

Bloom climbed into the ring and congratulated his partner. Ref took the belts and handed them to the defending champs and raised their hands in victory to hearty boos from the crowd.

Nelson: In a time of 15 minutes, 21 seconds, your winners...and STILL AWA World Tag Team Champions...The Destruction Crew!

More boos.

Patera back in the ring and talked with the ref briefly before checking on his partner.

Graphic aired that read: COMING UP! AWA WORLD TITLE MATCH!

Commercials

(Results for the last two matches of the show will be posted on AWA on ESPN.)

Last edited:
Reactions: TOP GUY TIME

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
LATE DECEMBER 1989

MANHATTAN'S UPPER EAST SIDE

Deborah Harry had bveen thinking about something...a lot.

She finally picked up the phone to call John Waters to discuss what it was.

Waters' housekeeper answered the phone and buzzed Waters on his intercom to let him know who it was.

Waters: Hello, hon.

Deb: Hi, John.

Waters: Are you calling just to say hi or do you have something on your mind?

Deb: The latter.

Waters: Shoot.

Deb: I know we discussed with Bill (Watts), Jim (Crockett) and Jerry (Jarrett) the possibility of keeping the AWA offices in the Minneapolis area for the foreseeable future.

But, the more I think about it, the more I believe we need to move to a warmer climate as soon as possible. I really believe it would help with signing top talent if their home base is sunny and mild to warm most of the year.

Waters: I was thinking along those lines, too.

We need to to have a pow-wow with Jim, Bill and Jerry and discuss the matter with them.

Since we own the majority of the business, we need to tell them we're going to seriously explore moving our base of operations as soon as possible.

Deb: I also think we need to keep the promotion out West.

Waters: So, pull Florida off the table?

Deb: No, I'm just giving my two cents.

Waters: Los Angeles? Vegas? Phoenix?

Deb: Well, Vegas has no state income tax. Arizona has a very low state income tax. California would be more of a burden tax-wise.

But we can sell the nice weather in all three.

Waters: Nevada.

Deb: What?

Waters: You said Vegas has no state income tax. It's Nevada.

Deb: Oh! Haha! Sorry. Maybe Vegas should be a state of its own.

Waters: Welcome to the state of heavy money losses, hookers, cheap shows, even cheaper buffets and assorted hijinks. Welcome to the state of Las Vegas! Leave your wallet with us!

Deb: Haha!

Waters: Well, let's set up a conference call with the other owners and let them know of our plans.

Deb: How do you think they're gonna deal with it?

Waters: Don't know. But since we own 60% of the company we really hold all the cards on this.

Deb: Just need to be tactful.

Don't want to piss off any of them and possibly have one try and pull out of the deal. We need those three for their wrestling expertise.

Waters: Maybe we should hold future in-person meetings with them at strip clubs. It will be easier to push things through that we want done if they're distracted by getting lap dances.

Deb: Brilliant!

Waters: Tell me about it.

Love, let's talk about this more later. My ride is here and we're going to dinner at Haussner's*.

Deb: Yummmmmmm.... I love their soft-shell crab. My mouth waters just thinking about it.

Waters: Their crab cakes are to die for.

Deb: I hear you.

Alright. Enjoy your dinner, John.

Waters: Talk with you later, hon. Ciao.

Deb: Bye.

Harry and Waters were going to start looking to pack up the AWA headquarters and move it to a warmer climate.

But they better not get ahead of their skis...

There's still that pesky op-out clause in the contract they signed to buy the company with no penalty incurred if the opt-out occurs before the official transition date.

The official transition to new owners is supposed to take place on March 5, 1990.

Will either party opt out of the deal at 11:59pm March 4?

STAY TUNED...

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
Big announcement coming on the next AWA on ESPN show!

Will be posted tomorrow, March 30.

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
1671840428271.png

AWA ON ESPN - LAS VEGAS, NV - SHOWBOAT SPORTS PAVILION - DECEMBER 1989

(UPDATE! This show was taped BEFORE Brawl In St. Paul 2.)

Announcers: Lee Marshall & Lord James Blears

Ring Announcer/In-ring Interviewer: Larry Nelson

(# - Aired on a previous AWA program.)

4th Taping Re-cap

Show Intro

Larry Nelson welcomed viewers and ran down the program:

Kokina Maximus (w/ Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey) sees action

A major, major announcement about next week's show

AWA 1989 Year In Review video

Another Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament Update with PWI's Bill Apter

Sam Houston (w/ Coach Dick Murdoch) wrestles

Tommy Rich and Cactus Jack see tag team action

The Trooper wrestles

And more! Nelson sent it to the ring in Vegas where everyone is a virgin until marriage.

Tommy Jammer won a squash match over Phil Knight via pinfall with the Jammer Slam

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Tommy Jammer, an impressive victory here tonight.

We're heading into 1990. What are your plans for the new year and new decade?

Jammer: I'm looking to continue improving in the ring, Larry. You can always learn more and get better.

And I'm definitely looking to win more. '89 has been a year of ups and downs in the ring for me. I'm looking to be more consistent.

Nelson: Looking to get into the championship picture?

Jammer: I am. But I can only do that by putting bigger and bigger numbers in the win column.

I'm also looking for a tag team partner. So, if anyone out there is interested in teaming with Tommy Jammer just let me know and let's talk.

Nelson: Tommy Jammer, everybody!

Pic aired of Cactus Jack and Tommy Rich with the caption: NEXT... WILD & CRAZY!!!

Commercials

Cactus Jack and Tommy Rich won a squash match over Peter Tork and Davey Jones via pinfall when Jack pinned Jones after a double underhook DDT

Jack and Tommy toyed with their opponents before defeating them.

Lee Marshall talked about preparing for the match with Jerry Blackwell. Said Blackwell has been a great teacher as they prepare for their match with Rich and Cactus.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Tommy Rich. Cactus Jack. You two tortured those two men before beating them. Why do that? You dominated the match. You did not have to take liberties with them.

Jack: Larry Nelson, the liberties we took with these two was to send a message...to that man over there at the announcer's table.

Jack pointed at Lee Marshall.

Nelson: What you just did, then, was send a not so subtle threat directed at Lee Marshall?

Jack: Take it however you wish, Nelson. We're gonna make life a living hell for Lee Marshall when we step into the ring together.

He's gonna wish he'd never been born when me and the former NWA World Champion get through with him. And there's nothing that human mountain Jerry Blackwell will be able to do about it.

BANG! BANG!

Rich: The fans...and Lee Marshall...need to remember something.

If me and Cactus win the match...I get 5-minuters alone in the ring with Lee Marshall.

It'll be just me and him. And that doesn't bode well for you, Marshall! Hahaha!

I'll make it the worst five minutes of his entire life!

He'll already be battered and bruised from the match!

And I'll be the man who finishes him off in our five minutes after the match! He'll be ashamed to ever show his face around here again, Nelson!

Lee Marshall! You should have known your place was at the announcer's table and not in the ring!

No amount of training, Marhsall, is gonna save you from the thrashing that's to come!

Nelson: They are Tommy Rich and Cactus Jack.

Pic of the AWA logo aired with the caption: NEXT... 1989 YEAR IN REVIEW VIDEO!

Pic flipped to Sam Houston and Dick Murdoch with the caption: ALSO... STUDENT & TEACHER!!!

Commercials/AWA Tour Update

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd the AWA 1989 Year In Review video.

Three minute video aired of AWA highlights for the year.

Music for the video was Classic Battle from NFL Films Music:

Sam Houston (w/ Coach Dick Murdoch) won a squash match over Gary Burghoff via pinfall with his bulldog finisher

During the match, Dick Murdoch coached Sam from ringside.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Sam Houston, the victories just keep coming.

Sam: They do, Larry. But, as you saw, Burghoff gave me a tough fight.

Sometimes, it's the guys you expect to beat handily who are the ones who can catch one on you.

Coach Murdoch's constantly telling me that I need to remain laser-focused no matter who I wrestle. Whether I'm facing the World Champion or a guy like Burghoff, it's important never to overlook or underestimate any opponent.

Nelson: He's right on that. And it's working for you right now. Dick?

Dick: Larry, I've said it before; Sam is an excellent student of the sport. He does his homework on whoever he's stepping in the ring with. He takes no one lightly.

Nelson: Where do you see all this headed with Sam? How long do you think the undefeated streak can continue?

Dick: Looking into my crystal ball, I see big matches in Sam's future. And that includes title matches. He's on such a hot streak right now that the inevitable is bound to happen and Sam's star will continue to rise here in the AWA.

Sam : A good coach is so important in any sport. I'm lucky to be coached by Dick Murdoch. It's like being coached by Bill Parcells of the Giants. The man's a proven winner who gets positive results.

Nelson: Sam Houston and Dick Murdoch, everybody!

Fans cheered.

Pic aired of the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship with the caption: NEXT... TOURNEY UPDATE!

Commercials

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd this week's Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament Update with PWI's Bill Apter.

VIDEO:

Bill Apter was standing in front of the PWI logo with mic in hand.

Apter: Hello, wrestling fans.

I'm Bill Apter from Pro Wrestling Illustrated and this is your Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament Update.

The tournament takes place on Saturday, February 17 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California and will be a one day, two-session event. The afternoon session will feature all the opening round matches of the tournament and has a bell time of 12:30pm Pacific Time. The evening session will feature the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final of the tournament to decide the first-ever Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion. The evening session will have a bell time of 7:30pm Pacific Time.

For tickets to this historic event, contact Ticket Master or the Anaheim Convention Center Box Office at (714) 555-1812.

We have a new entrant into the tournament this week.

We already know that Ricki Choshu from Japan, Carlos Colon from Puerto Rico, Perro Aguyao from Mexico and Tully Blanchard from the United States are in.

Now, you can add to that list a wrestler from Europe.

He hails from England. He is 'Gentleman' Chris Adams.

Let's take a look at Chris in action.

(Just pretend the first 45 seconds to one minute are what you see on TV.)

(Site's acting weird. Forgot to start segment where I wanted. Just go to the 8:40 mark and that's where the footage begins that I would have shown.)

Apter: The list of participants in the tournament just gets better and better. It's going to be a very exciting day of wrestling at the Anaheim Convention Center on February 17.

Anaheim is a great place to go to get out of the cold in February. The weather's great. And there's lots to do in Anaheim. From the beaches to Disneyland and everything in between, to plenty of restaurant choices to lots of hotels to pick from for your stay, Anaheim has it all.

So, be a part of pro wrestling history and join the AWA in Anaheim, California for the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament on Saturday, February 17.

I'm Bill Apter. See you next time.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson hyped the tournament and said he was really looking forward to the event and hoped the fans could get to nice, sunny Anaheim for the event.

Nelson told fans to stick around because after the break, major news regarding the next week's AWA on ESPN program.

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... MAJOR AWA NEWS!

Pic flipped to a shot of The Trooper with the caption: ALSO... THE LAW IN ACTION!

Commercials

In-Studio: Larry Nelson said that Brawl In St. Paul 2 has come and gone and he talked about the night in a generic sense. (IRL, his comments would have been taped before BISP 2 so you know how it goes.)

Nelson then had a major announcement.

Hyped for next week on the show:

From Brawl In St. Paul 2!

COAL MINER'S GLOVE MATCH: Col. DeBeers vs. Tom Zenk

Highlights from the other big matches at BISP 2.

Nelson also announced for next week:

The first AWA qualifying match for a spot in the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament

PLUS! A rundown of all the AWA qualifying match-ups

Nelson said it would be one of the biggest episodes of AWA on ESPN ever.

Nelson then sent it back to the ring in Vegas.

The Trooper won a squash match over Bill Cosby with his double trap submission hold that made Cosby pass out

During the match, Larry Zbyszko came to the ring holding a sign on a stick that read: THE TROOPER = POLICE BRUTALITY!

Zbyszko marched around the ring with the sign to the ire of the fans during the bout.

The Trooper at one point was distracted by Zbyszko and he almost lost the match to felon Cosby.

After the match, The Trooper woke Cosby up from the submission hold with a slap to the back of the neck and some Jell-O pudding.

Zbyszko still standing at ringside and The Trooper looked down at him. The two had words and The Trooper gestured for Zbyszko to get in the ring.

Larry Nelson climbed into the ring with mic in hand.

Nelson: Trooper...

Trooper: Zbyszko! Put the sign down and get in this damn ring and face me like a man!

Crowd cheered.

Zbyszko, sign in hand, climbed up on the apron and gestured for Nelson.

Trooper went to move on Zbyszko and Zbyszko picked up on the mic

Zbyszko: Keep him away from me! I got something to say!

Crowd booed loudly. Nelson stood in between the two.

Zbyszko: You people out here cheering for this animal are cheering for police brutality! The Trooper represents all that's wrong with policing today!

More boos.

Zbyszko: It's amazing how stupid people are these days! You people in this audience want to be violated by a cop! That's just brilliant!

Boos grew louder.

Trooper wanted a crack at Zbyszko but Larry Nelson kept him at bay.

Zbyszko: So, Trooper, did you beat somebody to a bloody pulp today for...I don't know...breathing?

That was enough for The Trooper as he lunged at Zbyszko but Zbyszko was able to jump from the apron to the floor with sign in hand.

Nelson was with The Trooper.

Trooper angrily glared down at Zbyszko.

Trooper: Zbyszko! I've had it! Let me tell you something, son! One day we're gonna collide in this ring! And I intend to make you respect law and order and the American way!

I'm gonna shut you down, Zbyszko! And most importantly, I'm gonna shut that big mouth of yours!

Crowd cheered.

Trooper: Suspects don't deserve to be brutalized by police! But I'll tell you this...you sure do!

Crowd popped big-time as Zbyszko looked out in shock at what he just heard at the fans and then back up at The Trooper.

Zbyszko picked up on a mic.

Zbyszko: You're nothing but a jackal with a badge! Abuse of power!

The two then looked at each other as the segment ended.

Pic aired of Kokina Maximus with the caption: NEXT... DEVASTATION!

Commercials

Johnny Rodz was in the ring and announced

Sound of the earth rumbling poured through the cheesy Showboat Sports Pavilion sound system as Kokina came out pushing a stretcher down the aisle. He had Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey and the Masked Doctor, in a suit and carrying his medical bag, with him. The trio was strongly booed.

Kokina wheeled with the stretcher down and parked it at ringside.

Kokina climbed into the ring. Kaissey and the Masked Doc climbed in with him. Kaissey had words with Kokina and then he and the Masked Doc left the ring.

Kokina facing Kaissey and the Doc on the floor when Rodz charged up behind Kokina and jumped on the behemoth's back and struck Kokina in the side of the head with punches to the delight of the fans.

Ref called for the bell.

Rodz riding Kokina like a wild bull. Kokina turned around and maneuvered backwards into the corner, slamming Rodz hard into the buckles. Rodz lost his grip on Kokina and crumpled to the mat. Kokina stomped Rodz once in the head and then stepped on the side of Rodz' face. Rodz writhing in pain. Kokina broke the illegal move at the ref's count of 4. Kokina snapped Rodz up, whipped Rodz into the ropes and caught Rodz coming off with a belly-to-belly suplex. The life drained out of Rodz. Kokina wasn't done. Kokina snapped up Rodz and threw him into the corner like a ragdoll. Kokina moved in and pulverized Rodz with a deliberate series of shoulder blocks to the gut.

Blears: All that weight going into Rodz' mid-section is not good for that area of the body. A lot of soft tissue there that can be damaged by a man of Kokina's size.

Rodz limp in the corner like he's at an impotence convention.

Kokina pulled Rodz out of the corner and dropped Rodz with a big headbutt. Rodz down and rolled over on his side holding his head. Kokina stomped Rodz in the back multipe times. Kokina snapped Rodz up and bodyslammed Rodz. Kokina dropped a big elbow across the chest. Rodz out of it. Kokina for the cover. 1...2...thr... Kokina pulled Rodz head and shoulders off the mat. Ref reprimanded Kokina to no avail.

Marshall: Kokina is a sadist. He loves torturing people before finishing them off.

Blears: You can bet some of that meanness was instilled by his manager Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey. A merciless man of Kokina's size is an extremely dangerous man.

Kokina pulled Rodz to his feet, hoisted Rodz across his shoulders and blasted Roidz with a Samoan Drop.

Marshall: This is just hard to watch now.

Kokina up and gesturing for Rodz to get to his feet. Rodz slowly sat up and was shaking out the effects of the torture inflicted on him. Kokina got tired of waiting and reached down to pull Rodz up. Rodz to a knee and Rodz suddenly started punching Kokina in the gut. Rodz to his feet and stunned Kokina with a few head shots. Crowd getting behind Johnny. Rodz went to whip Kokina into the corner but Kokina reversed and sent Rodz slamming into the buckles. Kokina charged in and avalanched Rodz. Rodz staggered out of the corner and crumpled to the mat. Ref again talking to Kokina. Kokina blew the ref off, dragged Rodz to the corner, mounted the middle buckle facing the crowd and came off with his Banzai Drop (ass drop to the chest) finisher on Rodz. Kokina placed his foot on Rodz' chest for the pin. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as most fans booed. Ref raised Kokina's hand in victory. Kaissey and the Masked Doctor climbed in the ring. Doctor went over and knelt down and checked on Rodz. After a brief look-over, Doctor shook his head in the affirmative that Rodz was OK, at least by Team Kokina standards. Masked Doc and Kaissey left the ring.

Marshall: Who in the world is this doctor?

Blears: That's what everybody wants to know, Lee. Is he even a licensed doctor?

Kokina dragged Rodz over by the ropes. Kokina dropped to the floor where Kaissey and the Masked Doc were now standing. Kokina pulled Rodz onto the apron. Masked Doc grabbed the stretcher and pulled it over by the ring. Kokina pulled Rodz onto the stretcher and the evil trio made their way back up the heel aisle to boos as Kokina wheeled the devastated Rodz to the back as the program ended.

WINNER: Kokina - Pinfall - 5:46

END PROGRAM

DARK MATCHES

Larry Zbyszko and The Trooper fought to a double countout - 10:23

FIRST BLOOD MATCH: Col. DeBeers defeated Tom Zenk when he busted Zenk open after he struck Zenk in the head with the military helmet he wore to the ring while the ref was down. Zenk had busted DeBeers open just before that with a series of head shots but the ref was down. DeBeers put his military helmet on to cover his cut. Woozy ref to his feet saw the bleeding Zenk and DeBeers wasn't bleeding thanks to the helmet hijinks. Crowd was furious. - 8:44 - DeBeers and Zenk bled

AWA WOMEN'S WORLD TITLE RE-MATCH: Wendi Richter def. Magnificent Mimi (WC) via DQ when Mimi's manager Valerie attacked Richter as Richter was preparing to powerbomb Mimi. - 9:01

NON-TITLE TEXAS TORNADO MATCH: Ken Patera & Brad Rheingans def. The Destruction Crew (WTTC) when Patera pinned Enos when the Destruction Crew went for the Doomsday Device and Bloom came off the top rope for the clothesline but Patera ducked forward and caught Enos (Patera was on his shoulders) for the victory roll for the pin. - All four men bled - 14:33

ATTENDANCE

PAID ATTENDANCE: 2,804

COMPS GIVEN OUT: 491

COMPS USED: 187

TOTAL ATTENDANCE: 2,991

Mat Men Pro Wrestling Podcast  в Twitter: „A rare view of Yokozuna during  a dark match in WWE. He was wrestling as Kokina at the time Also, his  Hair is majestic. #

UNBEATABLE???!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Death By Looch

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
LATE DECEMBER 1989

CONFERENCE CALL

On the phone: Deborah Harry, John Waters, Bill Watts and Jim Crockett​

Absent: Jerry Jarrett​

After the formalities were out the way, the main issue was immediately put on the table.

Deb: Bill and Jim, we were hoping Jerry would be here, too, John and I have made a decision and wanted to let you know about it.

Jim: What is it?

Deb: We've decided to start looking, as soon as possible, for a new location for the AWA offices.

Bill: Do you mean getting new office space in Minneapolis or getting the hell out of Dodge?

Deb: The latter.

Look, we feel we have a better chance of luring big name talent by moving to a warmer climate.

John: Vegas, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Florida all seem like better locales to help sell the new AWA to other wrestlers.

Crockett: You two own the majority of the company. If you feel that it's better to move than keep the headquarters in Minneapolis, that's up to you. I accept the decision no matter which way you go with it.

Bill: You guys may remember a past meeting when this was brought up that I thought it was best to stay for the foreseeable future in Minneapolis because we're still operating a territorial promotion and not a national promotion yet.

I supported keeping it in Minnesota for the time-being because it would keep travel costs down.

Deb and John, you just need to know that if and when you move to one of those other cities travel costs will go up because the bulk of your territory is still in the Upper Midwest.

John: We understand that and are willing to take the hit in the short-term for what we believe will be long-term benefits to the bottom line once we move.

Crockett: Speaking from experience, we moved our offices from Charlotte to Dallas. Put us in a bigger media market. But the cost was great. We took a major financial hit when we moved out of Charlotte. Played a role in forcing my family to sell to Turner.

Silence...​

Deb: The good news is we've got five people on board here who can all absorb some of the hit we might take in the short-term.

Bill: This business is cyclical.

Right now, the AWA seems to be on somewhat of a resurgence. They drew over 6,000 at the St. Paul Civic Center for their Christmas night show. Not quite the crowds they drew in the past. But it is a good sign that things are turning in the right direction. They were doing 1-2,000 in that building. There's now growing renewed interest in the promotion.

John: Bill and Jim, how would you do expansion?

Crockett: Very slowly. I would cast a few lines in the waters and see what you get. Large, rapid expansion would be an economic disaster in my opinion. Just try running a couple of shows somewhere and see what the houses are.

Bill: I agree with Jim. Go into a state, one state, and target two or three cities for shows. See what the houses are. If they're good, make plans to be back withing the next few months. If the shows don't draw, then put those towns on the back-burner until further notice.

Then, you pick another state to run shows in and see what the results are there.

Crockett: Do you have a number one choice of a city to move the headquarters to?

John: Not yet. And while Florida's in play, our preference is to stay out West.

Bill: A lot of guys in this business love the water. Just saying.

John: We'll keep that in mind.

Crockett: Keep us abreast of what's going on.

When we assume official control of the company, Bill and I will hunker down in Minneapolis until further notice.

Bill: I'll contact Jerry and let him know what's going on.

Deb: OK. Well, let's wrap up this little pow-wow for now. Bye, gentlemen.

The parties all said their goodbyes.​

Plans for moving HQ and a slow national expansion were now on the table.​

But...​

Something was going on with Verne Gagne that might render the whole deal moot.​

STAY TUNED...

Reactions: Death By Looch

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
1671665700022.png

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING SYNDICATED TAPING RESULTS - ROCHESTER, MN - MAYO CIVIC CENTER - DECEMBER 1989

In-Studio Host: Larry Nelson

Match Commentator: Lee Marshall

Color Commentator: Lord James Blears

(# means aired on a previous AWA show.)

4th Taping Re-cap

In-Studio: Larry Nelson welcomed viewers and ran down the program.

1989 AWA WRESTLING AWARDS!

Nelson said that throughout the program, wrestlers who won the awards in different catagories would be speaking about their achievements.

Also!

Another Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Update with PWI's Bill Apter

Badd Company sees action

1989 AWA Year In review Video

Greg Gagne and Jake Milliman wrestle

The Guerrero Bros. grapple

Major news about next week's show!!!

A special message from 'Wrestler of the '90s' Jonnie Stewart

Candi Devine laces 'em up

And more!

Nelson then sent it to the ring in Rochester, MN for a special match from the United States Wrestling Association and said the first 1989 wrestling award would follow the match.

SPECIAL USWA MATCH: Matt Bourne vs. The Punisher

Short match, but a good brawl that the fans really enjoyed.

Many fans knew who Bourne was but not The Punisher.

Bourne won the match via pinfall with a Northern Lights suplex - TIME: 6:12

In-Studio: Nelson briefly discussed the USWA match and said you might see more USWA stars in the AWA in 1990.

Nelson said that the first award is for the Most Popular Wrestler.

AND THE WINNER IS: Sgt. Slaughter

VIDEO:

World Champion Sgt. Slaughter was standing in front of the AWA logo with his plaque in one hand and mic in the other wearing his ring attire with the belt around his waist and his DI hat and sunglasses.

Sarge: I want to thank the fans for making me the most popular wrestler in the AWA for 1989.

It's an honor to win this great award. And you fans made it all possible.

I promise to be a man who wrestlers honestly, fairly and for the great American people as we head into 1990.

You fans are the life-blood of our sport. Without you, there is no professional wrestling.

And to be thought of so highly by you is an honor that I take very seriously.

1989 was great.

But together, let's make 1990 even better!

END VIDEO

Pic aired of the Guerrero Bros. with the caption: NEXT... MEXICAN JUMPING BEANS!

Commercials

The Guerrero Bros. won a squash match over Dennis Guilder & Arnie Cunningham when Mando pinned Arnie with a moonsault

In-Studio: Nelson talked briefly about the Guerreros and then introduced another award.

Nelson said the award was for Most Hated Wrestler in the AWA.

AND THE WINNER IS: Col. DeBeers

VIDEO:

DeBeers was standing in front of the AWA logo with his plaque in hand. He was wearing his camo gear and beret and holding a mic.

DeBeers: So, I am the AWA's Most Hated Wrestler for 1989, eh?

Most people would be ashamed or embarrassed to receive such an honor.

But not me...

You see, there's one question you have to ask yourself: Who are my enemies?

You either have good enemies or bad enemies.

I have good enemies. I've made the right kind of enemies!

The people who hate me are the same types of people who mindlessly and shamelessly love America!

For them, America is not about faith, family and freedom!

No!

For them, America is about decadence, greed, perversion and general overall filth!

These American boobs believe that people groups are actually all the same! Ha! What garbage!

Those are my enemies! And they're the right kind of enemies in my book!

In closing, I want to thank you, the American buffoon, for hating me so much!

It means I'm doing my job!

I look forward to winning this award again next year!

Pic aired of Jonnie Stewart with the caption: NEXT... JONNIE SPEAK!

Commercials/Market-specific promos for cities with upcoming house shows/Generic promos for non-house show cities

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd a special message from the self-proclaimed Wrestler of the '90s Jonnie Stewart.

VIDEO:

Video opened with a shot of Stewart, in an expensive looking suit and tie, standing behind a speaking podium in front of a large picture of...himself.

Jonnie: Greetings!

I'm Jonnie Stewart.

Thank you for taking this time out of your busy schedule to listen to what I have to say.

My friends, we are not only moving into a new year; but also a new decade.

The 1990's are now right around the corner.

And a new decade means great changes are on the horizon.

Politics, sports, religion, fashion, economics. In every walk of life there will be drastic upheavals.

It's the way life is.

And in professional wrestling, things will be no different.

The 1990's will bring us many great changes

We don't know if most of those changes will be for better or worse.

But, I can guarantee you folks one thing.

Jonnie Stewart is gonna be the Wrestler of the '90s.

With everything else caught in the teeth of uncertainty, I'm the one thing you can truly count on.

So, will get behind the Jonnie Revolution? Or will you be one of the idiots that gets run over by it?

The choice is up to you.

The '90s are mine! All mine! Glory will rain down on me like holy water!

There's no stopping this bullet train once it starts speeding down the tracks!

So, bet on the one sure thing as we run headlong into the new decade!

Bet on Jonnie Stewart to be the Wrestler of the '90s!

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Larry Nelson discussed Stewart's claim about being the Wrestler of the '90s. Said Jonnie has put himself on the spot and now he'd better stand and deliver.

Nelson said the next award was for Female Wrestler of the Year.

AND THE WINNER IS: Wendi Richter

Nelson intro'd video of Richter.

VIDEO:

Richter was in her ring attire and wearing sunglasses standing in front of the AWA logo with her plaque in one hand and a mic in the other.

Richter: Wow! Thank you all!

It's a great honor and a privilege to win an award like this.

I worked hard all year to be a champion of the people.

I'm not the champion right now.

But let me tell you, in 1990, I'm gunning for one thing.

And that's to be the AWA Women's World Champion once again!

Mimi, I'm coming harder than ever after that belt!

And I have one thing working in my favor that you don't!

And that's the support of the great wrestling fans out there!

With them behind me pushing me upward and onward with their support, how can I not give it my all to get the belt back!

Fans, let's do this together! Let's bring honor and integrity back to the championship!

I'm counting on you being in my corner!

END VIDEO

Pic aired of Candi Devine with the caption: NEXT... SWEET CANDI!!!

Commercials

Candi Devine won a squash match over Justine Bateman via subsmission the cross armbreaker

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Candi Devine, an impressive win with a very painful looking finishing hold.

Devine: I'm gonna be hurting a lot of women and making them beg for mercy in that hold.

Now! I've just got one thing to say!

I am here to challenge for the AWA Women's Title!

I've already proven myself in this sport!

Magnificent Mimi's the champion right now!

But frankly, I don't care who the champion is! I just want what's coming to me!

Verne Gagne! I know you're watching this!

I want a title match and I want it real soon!

You hear me, Verne?! Real soon!

Nelson: Candi Devine, folks!

In-Studio: Nelson talked about Devine looking to shake up the women's division.

Nelson said the next AWA '89 Award was for the Best Tag Team.

AND THE WINNER IS: The Destruction Crew (WTTC)

VIDEO:

Wayne Bloom and Mike Enos were in their ring attire, bright orange construction zone vests, hard hats and sunglasses. They had the titles around their waists. They were standing in front of the AWA logo with a mic in one hand and the plaque in the other.

Bloom: You know, Mike, awards are nice.

But we don't need no awards to know we're the best at what we do.

These belts around our waists say it all.

We've held these belts for most of 1989 and don't expect anything to be any different in 1990.

We came, we saw, we conquered.

And the conquering is gonna continue for a long time to come.

Enos: You people are lookin' at pure greatness!

This award speaks volumes! It says that you are simply the best...better than all the rest!

But, like my brother in destruction said, we don't need these awards! We know we're the best!

And you know what?!

The people watching this right now know we're the best!

We can take on any team in this sport of ours and beat 'em!

And I mean ANY team! Y'all listening?!

Enos looked down at the belt around his waist.

Enos: These look really good on us!

Bloom: They do. They look superb right where they are.

Enos: Let's hang on to 'em for a long time to come!

Bloom: I'm with you, brother!

Might as well make two more plaques for us for next year! Because we're gonna be here again and still have these belts in our possession!

END VIDEO

Pic aired of the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship belt with the caption: NEXT... TOURNEY UPDATE!

Commercials

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd this week's Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament Update with PWI's Bill Apter.

VIDEO:

Bill Apter was standing in front of the PWI logo with mic in hand.

I'm Bill Apter from Pro Wrestling Illustrated and this is your Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament Update.

The tournament takes place on Saturday, February 17 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California and will be a one day, two-session event. The afternoon session will feature all the opening round matches of the tournament and has a bell time of 12:30pm Pacific Time. The evening session will feature the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final of the tournament to decide the first-ever Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion. The evening session will have a bell time of 7:30pm Pacific Time.

For tickets to this historic event, contact Ticket Master or the Anaheim Convention Center Box Office at (714) 555-1812.

We have a new entrant into the tournament this week.

We already know that Ricki Choshu from Japan, Carlos Colon from Puerto Rico, Perro Aguyao from Mexico and Tully Blanchard from the United States are in.

Now, you can add to that list a wrestler from Europe.

He hails from England. He is 'Gentleman' Chris Adams.

Let's take a look at Chris in action.

(Just pretend the first 45 seconds to one minute are what you see on TV.)

Apter: The list of participants in the tournament just gets better and better. It's going to be a very exciting day of wrestling at the Anaheim Convention Center on February 17.

Anaheim is a great place to go to get out of the cold in February. The weather's great. And there's lots to do in Anaheim. From the beaches to Disneyland and everything in between, to plenty of restaurant choices to lots of hotels to pick from for your stay, Anaheim has it all.

So, be a part of pro wrestling history and join the AWA in Anaheim, California for the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament on Saturday, February 17.

I'm Bill Apter. See you next time.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of Greg Gagne and Jake Milliman with the caption: NEXT... MILK MANIA!

Commercials

Greg Gagne & Jake Milliman won a squash match over Darryl and his other brother Darryl via submission when Greg put Darryl out with the Gagne Sleeper (TM).

Milliman did his t-shirt ripping and cupping his hand to his ear and listening to the crowd when he entered the ring.

Post-match, Jake did some poses and Greg joined in to the delight of no one.

In-Studio: Nelson said the next award was for AWA Wrestler of the Year.

AND THE WINNER IS: Sgt. Slaughter

VIDEO:

Sarge was once again standing in front of the AWA logo holding another plaque in one hand and a mic in the other still dressed in his ring gear, DI hat and sunglasses.

Sarge: The good fortune for the Sarge just keeps on coming!

Thank you for the honor of being chosen AWA Wrestler of the Year!

The AWA has a lot of really good wrestlers and it could have been almost any one of 'em, so I'm sure the decision wasn't an easy one!

I take these awards seriously!

They're signs of accomplishment!

And the Wrestler of the Year is the highest award a wrestler can get!

It means that you've overcome a lot and fought your way to the top!

1989 has not been the easiest year for me! But I would not have it any other way!

Nothing can be truly appreciated without hard work and dedication!

Thank you for appreciating all the hard work I've put into being all I can be!!

This is going on my mantle over the fire place at home!

I will cherish it forever!

Thank you!

Sarge saluted.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... MAJOR SHOW NEWS!!!

Commercials

In-Studio: Larry Nelson said he had major news about next week's program:

- Highlights from all the big matches at Brawl In St. Paul 2

- A qualifying match for the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament

- A rundown of all the qualifying matches

- Bill Apter will be revealing another wrestler entering the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament

And more!

Nelson then intro'd the 1989 AWA Year In Review Video

3-minute video set to the song Classic Battle by NFL Films:

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... THE FINAL AWARD!

Commercials/Market-specific promos for cities with upcoming house shows/Generic promos for non-house show cities

In-Studio: Nelson told fans to stick around for a match featuring Badd Company.

Nelson said the final award was for AWA Match of the Year.

AND THE WINNER IS: For the Undisputed AWA World Championship: Sgt. Slaughter (AWA WC) vs. Jerry Lawler (AWA WC) - Super Clash 4 - Milwaukee, WI - Mecca Arena - 10-18-89

Nelson said both Sarge and Lawler received their awards for the match and then Nelson intro'd video of the final moments of this epic battle.

VIDEO:

# Lawler struck Sarge first. Sarge fired back. Lawler delivered another deliberate punch to the jaw. Sarge returned the favor. The punch exchange then sped up and Sarge gained the upper hand. Lawler staggered back. Sarge charged in and caught Lawler with a neckbreaker lariat (takedown). Crowd popped. Lawler down and Sarge on his knees. Sarge up and snapped up Lawler and Lawler was able to drive Sarge hard back-first into the buckles. Lawler then found the strength to batter Sarge with his famous punch barrage. Lawler backed up and Sarge staggered out of the corner and went down to a knee and then his face. Lawler moved in for the kill. Lawler grabbed Sarge, held him for a moment, hoisted Sarge up and blasted Sarge with his piledriver finisher. Lawler was slow in covering Sarge. 1...2...thr... Sarge kicked out again.

Marshall: That's it! Lawler just hit Sgt. Slaughter with his finisher.

Lawler was slow in covering Sarge. 1...2...thr... Sarge kicked out again. Crowd roared. Lawler in disbelief. Lawler picked up Sarge and bodyslammed him. Lawler again went out on the apron and mounted the top buckle. Lawler came off with another leg drop but this time Sarge rolled out of the way and Lawler crashed to the mat. Both men down. Ref once again started the 10-count. Both men stirred as the count grew and once again made it to their feet just before the 10-count. Sarge stumbled off and crashed to a knee in another part of the ring. Lawler methodically moved in on Sarge. Lawler leaned down to grab Sarge and Sarge stunned Lawler with a huge upper cut. Lawler went limp at the waist but was still on his feet. Sarge up, crowd into it. Sarge grabbed Lawler, hoisted Lawler up and blasted Lawler with Lawler's own finisher...the piledriver. Most in the crowd ate it up. Sarge covered Lawler and hooked the leg. 1...2...3! Most fans nearly blew the roof off the building as the ref called for the bell.

Sarge laid across Lawer's chest for a few seconds after the match and then rolled off of Lawler. Both men down on the mat, Sarge laying on his side. The match had taken its toll. Larry Nelson climbed into the ring with the belts and mic in hand and the ref went over and had words with him off mic. The two talked longer than you would normally expect in this situation. Sarge slowly made it to his feet and was shaking out the effects of the match. Lawler was up to a knee holding the back of his neck.

Nelson: Wrestling fans! In a time of 20 minutes, 14 seconds your winner...and UNDISPUTED AWA World Heavyweight Champion...Sgt. Slaughter!

Ref waited for Sarge to recover a little more before handing him the titles.

Ref then started to walk over to Sarge with the belts when Lawler suddenly got to his feet and grabbed the belts from the ref. Lawler gestured and told the ref to go stand in the corner.

Marshall: What is this about?!

Blears: Wondering if Lawler is in a state of denial that he lost the match?

Sarge looked at Lawler. Larry Nelson moved in as Lawler walked up to Sarge. Larry stuck the mic in between the two as the men looked at each other for several tense seconds.

Lawler (wincing in pain from the piledriver): Sgt. Slaughter.

Pause.

Lawler: You are indeed the deserving and undisputed AWA World Champion.

Lawler presented the belts to Sarge and Sarge took them.

The two looked at each other a little more and then Lawler extended his hand.

Marshall: Sgt. Slaughter better be careful here.

Blears: Indeed, Lawler can be a snake in the grass at times.

After a few more seconds, Sarge extended his hand and the two men...shook hands. Crowd cheering the gesture.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson talked about what a great match it was and how 1989 was a good year for the AWA.

Then sent it back to Rochester for Badd Company in action

Badd Company (w/ Mgr. Dallas Page) won a squash match over Reginald Van Gleason & Ralph Hinckley via pinfall when Tanaka pinned Hinckley after a slingshot DDT (Diamond catapaults opponent to Tanaka who, in one motion blasts the opponent with a jumping DDT)

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Dallas Page! You've really got your men wrestling well right now.

DDP: I've always got them prepared, Nelson! That's why I'm the best manager in this sport today!

I mean, look at the success these men have had! They don't have that success without yours truly navigating the ship!

Nelson suddenly listened intently on his earpiece.

DDP: We will nev...

Nelson: Dallas, I hate to interrupt.

DDP: Make it fast, I have a lot more to say.

Nelson: We are out of time! See you next week!

DDP: What ???!!!

DDP started arguing with Nelson as the program ended.

END PROGRAM

DARK MATCHES

The Trooper and Larry Zbyszko battled to a double countout - TIME: 9:31

AWA WOMEN'S WORLD TITLE: Wendi Richter def. Magnificent Mimi (WC) via DQ when MImi's manager Valerie interfered and attacked Wendi when Wendi was hoisting Mimi up for her powerbomb finisher - TIME: 7:39

FIRST BLOOD MATCH: Col. DeBeers defeated Tom Zenk when he busted Zenk open after he struck Zenk in the head with the military helmet he wore to the ring while the ref was down. Zenk had busted DeBeers open just before that with a series of head shots but the ref was down. DeBeers put his military helmet on to cover his cut. Woozy ref to his feet saw the bleeding Zenk and DeBeers wasn't bleeding thanks to the helmet hijinks. Crowd was furious. - 10:07 - DeBeers and Zenk bled

NON-TITLE TEXAS TORNADO MATCH: Ken Patera & Brad Rheingans def. The Destruction Crew (WTTC) when Patera pinned Enos when the Destruction Crew went for the Doomsday Device and Bloom came off the top rope for the clothesline but Patera ducked forward and caught Enos (Patera was on his shoulders) for the victory roll for the pin. - All four men bled - 12:51

ATTENDANCE: 2,108

1680741663147.png
1680741845102.png

1989 AWA MATCH OF THE YEAR!

Last edited:

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
LATE DECEMBER 1989

AWA HQ - ST. LOUIS PARK, MN

AWA boss Verne Gagne was sitting in his office.

With him were son Greg Gagne and TV producer Al DeRusha.

Verne had something on his mind.

Verne: I called you two in here because I have something to say.

Greg: What is it, dad?

Verne: We've been doing much better business-wise lately.

Al: I'm not liking the sound of this.

Verne: Just hear me out.

There's an opt-out clause in the contract to sell the AWA.

Greg: Oh no!

Verne (agitated): Please let me finish.

We can opt-out of the deal by March 4th.

I've been thinking...I believe we can turn this around on our own.

Al: Don't do it, Verne.

Greg: Dad, while houses are up, since the end of the Lawler-Sarge program, we've seen attendance at house shows fall back to the 1-2 thousand range. That's better than we'd been doing before Lawler-Sarge. But it's not overwhelmingly better. And most of the houses since Lawler-Sarge are doing nowhere near the business that those two did when they headlined the houses.

Verne: Agreed. But we are still moving in the right direction.

I'm 63 now. This is my last shot to make the AWA a player again.

I'm thinking of triggering the opt-out clause.

Al: Verne, listen to reason. Things aren't doing that great. Better, but not great.

The Showboat TV taping houses have fallen back to largely what they were before Lawler-Sarge.

How are you going to bring in the talent needed to take it to the next level?

Verne: Well, we've got some guys out there I think that can help and with some creative booking we can make a go of it.

Greg: What wrestlers are you bringing in? We can't afford the big ticket items.

Verne: Well, I've been talking to Don (Owen)* up in Portland about bringing in Rip Oliver for a run. Guy's a fantastic heel.

Al: Outside of diehard wrestling fans, how many people really know who he is?

The guy plies his trade in a converted bowling alley.

Verne: I think we can make him am bigger name. You know, like the WWF did with Savage coming out of Memphis.

Greg: Rip Oliver is not and never will be Randy Savage, dad!

You're right. He's a fine heel and would be a good addition..

But he will not be a star...ever...on the Randy Savage level.

Al: Anyone else?

Verne: We've got Tully coming in for the tournament.

He's one of the best heels out there in my opinion and could be our number one heel.

Plus, his run with the Horseman gives us name recognition right away.

Greg: But in recent years Tully's been known for what? Tag team wrestling.

Most of these fans today don't know anything about his great run as a single in Southwest.

He comes in, the fans will be wondering where Arn is.

Verne: I think he can recapture that Southwest magic.

Al: Who else?

Verne: Jarrett's got some good talent in the USWA.

We've got Cactus Jack right now and, while I'm not crazy about his reckless style, he seems to be a guy who can click with fans. There's just something about that kid.

I think Matt Bourne, who just came in for a match, would be a good addition to the roster as well.

Greg: What about that guy who wrestles as The Punisher?

Al: His name's Mark Callaway. He's got a good, menacing look and is, from what I've heard, improving a lot as a wrestler.

Verne: Seen video of him. I just don't see it with Callaway. Maybe in a few years but not right now.

Greg: But he might be worth taking a gamble on. He looks like he has a serious upside.

Verne: Maybe later. But for right now, no.

Greg: You got anyone else in mind?

Verne: Thinking about calling Herd* down there in Atlanta and trying to work out a wrestler trade agreement.

Al: Question is: who would they send us and for how long?

Verne: We'd have to see. Gotta talk to Herd first.

Greg: You think Herd really understands the business? He's a former pizza exec!

Nothing screams 'I know wrestling' like working for Pizza Hut.

Plus, the early word on this guy is not good. He's said to be in over his head and has a lot of dumbass ideas.

Verne: Still, they have good talent there. It's worth a shot.

Al: Unless the houses increase by a lot, you're not gonna have the money to pull this off, Verne.

Greg:Think of the family. Have you told mom?

Verne: I mentioned it to her. She wasn't too keen on walking away from all that money for the sale.

Look, I know this is a shock to the system.

But I created the AWA and I think there's a chance that I can right the ship.

Al: Or sink it.

Verne glared lazers at Al.

Greg: Let's be reasonable here...

Verne: I'm being perfectly reasonable, son.

We can do this. I know we can.

Al: I know it's hard to let go.

You made the AWA what it is.

But your time, Verne, you've had a good run. But the last few years have been brutal.

Also, how long will the current group of fans stick around?

You sell to Harry, Waters, Watts, Crockett and Jarrett, you've got the perfect mix of name value and wrestling smarts.

They've got money and fresh ideas behind them. A turnaround would be much quicker under them than under you with your limited cash-flow.

Verne: Al, are you trying to say that I'm no longer a good booker?

Al: The business is changing, Verne. You have to face that fact.

Three or four angles a year and rotating World Title programs aren't going to cut it today.

You need new eyes overseeing the AWA.

Verne: I can change. Also, aren't we seeking to become the true alternative to the WWF and it's cartoonish nonsense?

Greg: Indeed, we are trying to give fans an alternative to the WWF style.

But you need new people at the top. And, as Al said, you need people who will bring fresh ideas to the table.

Verne: It could take just one wrestler or big angle to turn this thing around.

Greg: That could happen because of the nature of this business. The key word there is 'could'.

I mean, look at Col. DeBeers.

Remember that great angle you booked with him and Jimmy Snuka?

There was buzz around the angle from the fans.

But it didn't move tickets like Snuka-Piper did in the WWF.

A great angle does not necessarily mean a huge uptick in ticket sales.

Al: Greg's right, Verne.

You've done some good stuff recently. AWA programming is the best it's been since '86.

But it's not moving the needle enough. People look at the AWA and think it's a dying distant number three promotion here in America.

That doesn't translate to big houses in the long run.

Greg: I don't agree with this idea one bit.

Sell and move into the consultant position the new owners would have for you.

Verne: You know I'm a stubborn man...

Al: That's an understatement.

Verne: Al!

Verne pounded his fist on his desk.

Verne: Here's an idea!

Al, why don't I book a match between you and me in Vegas! It'll be a shoot!

Al: Why don't you just face reality!

You've had a good run and now it's over!

Greg: You also need to think about the imminent domain case against your home, dad.

You need that money from the sale to mount a strong defense.

Silence...

Verne: Well, I'm going to think about opting out of the deal and that's final.

Al: Is this meeting over now?

Verne: It is. I just wanted to inform you about my possible plans.

Greg and Al got up and walked out of the office in disbelief. They closed Verne's office door behind them.

Greg and Al walked down the hall in silence and then Al turned to Greg.

Al: If he opts out of the deal he'll kill the promotion.

Greg: Hate to say it but I agree.

This is all his ego talking.

Al: See what your mom can do. She might be the only one who can talk sense into that stubborn mule.

Greg: I'll talk with her, Al.

She indeed might be our last line of defense.

It's like him talking about Tully being the top heel.

I like Tully, but people now perceive him as a tag team wrestler.

Al: I've heard he's also in talks with the NWA about a return. Good luck matching their offer with a corporation behind them.

Greg: Tully's also stronger when he has another man by his side. That's Ric Flair.

Al: This has to be stopped or we're finished. We'll be begging Vince or idiot Herd for jobs.

It looked like a done deal.

But now, if Verne opts out of the sale, the AWA could be what is finished in the end.

STAY TUNED...

(* Don Owen - Legendary Portland Wrestling promoter. /* Jim Herd - Ran the NWA at the time. Had no idea what the hell he was doing.)

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
1671840428271.png

AWA ON ESPN - LAS VEGAS, NV - SHOWBOAT SPORTS PAVILION - JANUARY 1990

Announcers: Lee Marshall & Lord James Blears

Ring Announcer/In-ring Interviewer: Larry Nelson

(# - Aired on a previous AWA program.)

In-Studio: Larry Nelson welcomed viewers to the first AWA on ESPN of the new decade and ran down the program:

From Brawl In St. Paul 2:

COAL MINER'S GLOVE MATCH: Tom Zenk vs. Col. DeBeers

PLUS!

PRO WRESTLING HERITAGE CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT QUALIFYING MATCH: Jonnie Stewart vs. Brad Rheingans

Eric Bischoff interviews Ricky Rice about DDP's theft of the $50,000 Rice won in the Battle Royal at BISP 2

And more!

Nelson then intro'd video of Stan Hansen's vicious attack on Sgt. Slaughter before what was supposed to be the start of their World Title clash at BISP 2.

VIDEO:

# - From BISP 2

AWA WORLD TITLE MATCH:Sgt. Slaughter (WC) vs. Stan Hansen

Hansen came to the ring to strong boos but had his fans. Hansen was wearing his ring attire, chaps, and black cowboy hat. He had his bullrope and cowbell with him and thrashed the bullrope around on his way down the heel aisle to the ring. Once in the ring, Hansen continued the bullrope thrashing and started the loud cowbell waving and let out a gutteral yell.

Sgt. Slaughter came out to the Marine Corps Hymn to a solid ovation. He was in his ring attire, DI hat and had the World Title slung over his shoulder. Sarge handed out little American flags on the way to the ring, Sarge climbed into the ring and walked to two different sides of the ring and saluted the fans. When Sarge went to the third side of the ring to salute the fans, Hansen struck.

Hansen came up behind Sarge and struck Sarge in the back of the head with his cowbell. Sarge crashed down to the mat. Hansen grabbed the top rope and stomped away on Sarge. Referee Marty Miller tried to get Hansen to back off but Hansen raised his hand to strike Miller and Miller backed away. Hansen snapped up Sarge and threw Sarge over the top rope and Sarge crashed down to the floor. Ref Miller called for the bell to try and restore order to no avail.

Hansen followed Sarge to the floor. Sarge getting up and Hansen moved in and pounded away on the champ. Hansen then slammed Sarge head-first into the post. Sarge went down. Hansen looked out at the crowd and yelled. A tasty beverage flew in Hansen's direction courtesy of a fan. Hansen then went over and yanked the timekeeper out of his chair at the timekeeper's table and grabbed the steel chair and folded it up. A bloody Sarge made it to his feet as Hansen came over. Sarge turned and Hansen brought the chair down on top of Sarge's head sending Sarge crumpling back to the concrete floor.

Fans cheered as AWA face wrestlers and officials came rushing down the face aisle to defend Sarge. Fans popped as Sam Houston shoved Hansen away from Sarge and the two got into a brief scuffle before wrestlers and officials separated the two. Sarge down as the wrestlers and officials checked on him.

Announcers said they would have more on this situation after the break.

RESULT: No Match

LATER (Back from commercials on BISP 2)...

Video showed a bloody Sarge being helped to the back.

LATER IN THE PROGRAM...

Larry Nelson was in-ring with mic in hand.

Nelson: Ladies and gentlemen. Sgt. Slaughter was examined backstage by medical personnel and they suggested Sgt. Slaughter not wrestle tonight.

Vociferous crowd boos.
Nelson: However, Sgt. Slaughter has demanded to defend the title tonight against Stan Hansen.
Boos turned to loud cheers.

Nelson: The state athletic commission has said they will not stand in the way of Slaughter's request but will not be responsible for any injuries sustained by Slaughter in the match.

AWA officials have also decided to let the match go forward even though they think that Sgt. Slaughter should not wrestle.

But, it will be Slaughter defending the World Title against Stan Hansen in the match following the upcoming World Tag Team Title match.

Marshall: Lord James, do you think Sgt. Slaughter has made a bad decision here tonight?
Blears: Lee, even if the Sarge successfully defends the belt tonight, the further punishment inflicted by Stan Hansen, and he will inflict more punishment, could wind up costing Sgt. Slaughter down the line.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson said that after the break, they were going to show the entire match between Sgt. Slaughter (WC) and Stan Hansen for the title

Commercials

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd the AWA World Title match from BISP 2.

Nelson was standing mid-ring.

Nelson: Ladies and gentlemen! This contest is scheduled for one fall with a 60-minute time-limit and is for the AWA World Heavyweight Championship!

Fans cheered,,,

But the cheers quickly melted to loud boos as Stan Hansen made his way down the heel aisle to the ring, thrashing his bullrope about and carrying his cowbell.

Hansen climbed into the ring and continued the bullrope thrashing. Larry Nelson had to evade some of the thrashing.

Marine Corps Hymn filled the arena and the fans started to buzz.

Crowd popped big as Sarge made his way down the face aisle to the ring.

Sarge had nothing on but his ring gear and the belt slung over his shoulder and had a white bandage wrapped around his head. Blood had soaked through it.

Sarge climbed into the ring but did not acknowledge the crowd as he usually did.

Nelson: Your referee for the match is Gary DeRusha!

Introducing first...the challenger!

Boos started rising again.

Nelson: Weighing in at 321 pounds...from Borger, Texas! He is...Stan 'The Lariat' Hansen!

Hansen stepped out of his corner and let out a gutteral yell and waved his cowbell in the air to even more boos.

Nelson: And his opponent!

Crowd roar started to rise.

Nelson: Weighing in at 305 pounds...from Parris Island, South Carolina! He is the reigning AWA World Heavyweight Champion...Sgt. Slaughter!

Crowd roar reached a crescendo.

Ref took the belt from Sarge and held it up for all to see before handing it off to Larry Nelson.

Ref called both men out to the middle of the ring.

As Sarge and Hansen locked eyes, ref laid down the rules and patted each man down.

Ref sent each man back to their corners.

Ref called for the bell.

The two men came out of their corners and circled one another as the crowd was buzzing.

Hansen took a swipe at Sarge and missed. The two men danced around a little more before Hansen took another swipe at Sarge and Sarge ducked the punch try and came back with a series of gut shots on Hansen. Sarge whipped Hansen into the ropes and caught Hansen coming off with a back elbow to the chest that dropped Hansen. Sarge slow moving in as Hansen was getting up and Sarge caught Hansen with a kick to the side of the ribs and then grabbed Hansen and slammed Hansen's head deliberately and repeatedly into the top buckle multiple times as the crowd counted along. Sarge spun Hansen around in the corner and popped Hansen with a deliberate series of shoulder blocks to the gut. Sarge pulled Hansen out of the corner and hoisted Hansen up for a suplex but Sarge crumpled to the mat with Hansen on top of him for the pin try. 1...2... Sarge kicked out.

Blears: The blood loss Sarge suffered earlier tonight may have affected his ability to complete that suplex there. He has to be in a somewhat weakened state.

Marshall: Agreed, Lord James. Notice how deliberately he's moving around in this match early on.

Hansen up and stomped Sarge in the head. Hansen snapped Sarge up and bodyslammed Sarge and went to drop an elbow across the chest but Sarge rolled out of the way and Hansens crashed to the mat. Both men to their knees and Hansen punched Sarge. Sarge fired back. The two engaged in a deliberate punch exchange as they made it to their feet. Hansen gained the advantage, whipped Sarge into the ropes and went to clothesline Sarge coming off but Sarge ducked the move and came back and Sarge and Hansen clotheslined each other to the mat. Both men down. Ref started the 10-count.

Marshall: You have to wonder if Sarge can even make it up before the count of 10?

Hansen up just as Sarge was getting up just before the count hit 10. Match continued. Sarge slightly bent over. Hansen moved in and caught Sarge with an elbow to the back of the neck.

Blears: The referee does not want to stop this match unless he absolutely has to.

Sarge grabbing the back of his neck, staggered off. Hansen came up behind Sarge and popped Sarge with a series of forearms to the upper back. Hansen then shoved Sarge and Sarge slammed hard, front-first into the buckles. Sarge leaned against the buckles facing the crowd. Hansen came up behind Sarge and ripped the bandage wrap off of Sarge's head and tossed it out of the ring.

Marshall: Now, we're entering a danger zone.

Blears: We most certainly are. Ref's gonna have to keep an eye on Slaughter's blood loss for the remainder of this bout.

Hansen spun Sarge around in the corner and choked Sarge out with his boot. Hansen broke the illegal move at the ref's count of 4. Hansen feigned like he was going to backhand the ref. Hansen caught Sarge in the side of the head with a couple of elbow strikes. Sarge stunned. Hansen then started biting Sarge's forehead. Hansen broke the illegal move at the count of 4. Hansen then repeated the biting party and again stopped it at 4. Sarge staggered out of the corner and went face down on the mat. Hansen had words with the ref. Crowd buzzing. Hansen stomped on Sarge and snapped Sarge up.

Marshall: He's bleeding even worse.

Blears: It's a nightmare in technicolor.

Hansen bodyslammed Sarge and then nailed Sarge with a knee drop to the head. Sarge rolled over on his side. Hansen rolled Sarge over on his back and dropped down on Sarge and nailed him with a deliberate series of shots to the cut. Hansen snapped Sarge up and whipped Sarge hard into the corner. Sarge on wobbly legs. Ref ordered Hansen to back off as the ref moved in and checked on Sarge's cut. Ref briefly talked to Sarge and did the 'how many fingers am I holding up' test to see if Sarge was still strongly coherent. Ref ordered the match to continue. Hansen moved in and started pounding Sarge with punches and kicks and grabbed Sarge by the back of the head and ran Sarge across the ring and threw Sarge wildly towards the corner. The momentum led Sarge to slamming his head into the ring bolt that connects the post to the top rope. Sarge crumpled to the mat. Hansen went to grab Sarge but Sarge's leg was under the apron. Sarge face down. Ref ordered Hansen back so he could start the 10-count. Ref and Hansen briefly argued. Sarge slowly made it to his knees in the ring. Sarge was now even bloodier.

Marshall: He's really wearing the crimson mask now.

Hansen moved in with more punches to the cut on Sarge's forehead. Ref again stepped in and ordered Hansen back. Hansen stood back as the ref checked Sarge's cut. Ref talked with Sarge and then did the 'follow my finger with your eyes' test. Sarge shook his head in the affirmative when the ref talked to him. Sarge to his feet. Ref allowed the match to continue. Hansen moved in on Sarge and Sarge caught Hansen with a punch that briefly stunned Hansen. But Hansen then struck the blood-depleted Sarge with a punch that stunned Sarge. Hansen then pulled Sarge's legs out from under him and then, after a brief struggle, turned Sarge over into the Brazos Valley backbreaker (Boston Crab). Crowd roaring for Sarge not to give in. Sarge in great pain in the hold and the blood loss only made things worse. Sarge shook his head 'no' when the ref asked if he gave up. Sarge started inching towards the ropes still locked in the hold. Hansen cinched up on the hold to stop Sarge dead in his tracks. Sarge pounded the mat with his fist signaling he was in great pain. Fans urging on the champ. Sarge found the strength to continue moving towards the ropes. Sarge appeared to be fading in the hold, but then a desperation lunge allowed him to make it far enough to drape his arm out over the bottom rope to force a break in the hold. Crowd popped. Ref ordered Hansen back as Sarge, with the aid of the ropes, slowly made it to his feet. Hansen moved in and leapt on Sarge and pounded the hell out of him, Hansen went to whip Sarge into the buckles but Sarge sent Stan crashing into them front-first. The impacting sent Hansen bouncing backwards out of the corner and crashing to his back in the ring. Crowd buzzing as Sarge staggered around trying to regain his bearings from the beating and blood loss. Ref tried to move in and check the cut but Sarge brushed him off. Hansen up and Sarge moved in and caught Hansen with some punches, spun his arm around and blasted Hansen with a big roundhouse right to the jaw. Hasnen crumpled to the mat. Fans roaring. Sarge moving around the ring like a guy who was finding his second wind while delirious at the same time. Sarge in position. Hansnen to his feet...

Marshall: SLAUGHTER CANNON!

Crowd popped big-time.

Hansen down on the mat and Sarge laying front-side down by Hansen. Crowd begging Sarge to cover Hansen.

Marshall: Come on, Sarge! Cover him!

Blears: Looks like the blood loss has really taken its toll now.

Sarge slowly moved over and made the cover. Fans on their feet. 1...2...thr... Hansen kicked out.

Very loud groan from the crowd.

Both men still down on the mat. Ref started the 10-count. Both men up just before the count of 10. Hansen moved in and caught Sarge with a kick to the gut, whipped Sarge into the ropes and caught Sarge coming off with his lariat finisher. Sarge crashed to the mat. Hansen covered Sarge. 1...2...thr... Sarge got a shoulder up. Crowd went nuts. Hansen on his knees in disbelief. Hansen covered Sarge again. 1...2...thr... Sarge again got a shoulder up. Fans roared.

Marshall: What fight being shown by Sgt. Slaughter!

Hansen with a quick head shot on Sarge, snapped Sarge up, whipped Sarge into the ropes and blasted Sarge coming off with a second lariat clothesline that dropped Sarge. Hansen covered Sarge and hooked the leg. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the crowd booed.

Ref went over as Nelson climbed up on the apron with the belt. Nelson handed the ref the belt and the ref and Nelson had a few words off-mic.

Hansen to his feet and the ref went over and raised Hansen's hand in victory and handed Hansen the belt. Ref then checked on the still down Sarge as EMT's came to the ring to check on ex-champ.

Nelson: In a time of 12 minutes, 19 seconds, your winner...and NEW AWA World Champion...Stan 'The Lariat' Hansen!

Loud boos and a smattering of cheers from Hansen fans.

Hansen raised the belt in the air with his right hand while giving the 'hook 'em horns' sign with his left to more boos.

Hansen left the ring and dropped to the floor as some garbage flew in his direction. Hansen slung the belt over his shoulder and headed back up the heel entrance aisle.

Some AWA officials and wrestlers came out to check on Sarge as well.

As the announcers talked about the match, Sarge was helped to his feet by a couple of the wrestlers. Sarge was helped out of the the ring to the floor and back up the heel aisle as the fans politely cheered his effort.

WINNER: Hansen - Pinfall - 12:19

In-Studio: Nelson talked about Sarge's valiant fight in a losing effort. Said Hansen is now a 2-time AWA World Champion.

Pic aired of the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship belt with the caption: NEXT... TOURNEY UPDATE!

Commercials/AWA Tour Update

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd the newest Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Update with PWI's Bill Apter.

VIDEO:

Apter was in a suit with mic in hand standing front of the PWI logo.

This is Bill Apter from Pro Wrestling Illustrated with this week's Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament Update.

The tournament takes place on Saturday, February 17, at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, CA.

The tournament will be held over two sessions on that day. The afternoon session will feature the opening round matches of the
tournament and has a bell time of 12:30 pm. The evening session will feature the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final of the tournament to crown the first-ever Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion and will have a bell time of 7:30 pm. For tickets to this historic event, contact TicketMaster or the Anaheim Convention Center box office at (714) 555-1212. One ticket will allow you to attend both sessions.

So far, the line-up of participants for the tournament is impressive.

The wrestlers already announced for the tournament are: Ricki Choshu from Japan; Perro Aguayo from Mexico; Carlos Colon from Puerto Rico; Tully Blanchard from the USA and 'Gentleman' Chris Adams from England.

This is truly shaping up to be an international event!

The newest entrant comes to us from one of the legendary wrestling family's in this great sport.

From Canada...it's Bruce Hart.

Let's take a look at Bruce in action.

(Just pretend the first 60+ seconds are what you'd see on the program.

Apter: Bruce Hart was trained by one of the best, his father Stu Hart. And Stu is a guy who really knows how to toughen up men for this business. Whomever faces the pesky Bruce is gonna be in for quite a battle in Anaheim.

Also, starting this week here on AWA Wrestling on ESPN and on All-Star Wrestling, are the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament qualifiers. That's eight matches featuring 16 wrestlers currently wrestling for the AWA.

Fans, I know I've said it before, Anaheim is a great place to visit in the winter. There's plenty to do: from hitting the beaches, to playing the outstanding golf courses to visiting the Happiest Place on Earth, Disneyland. There are several fine restaurants in town and lots of good hotels to choose from for your stay. Anaheim has it all.

So, there's still time to make plans to see wrestling history in the making.

I know I'm gonna be there and I hope to see you there, too.

I'm Bill Apter. Until next week.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Larry Nelson said the tournament is shaping up to be the wrestling event of 1990. Said fans should make their plans to be in Anaheim on Feb. 17.

Nelson said that after the break:

The complete match line-up of the 8 AWA Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament qualifiers

PLUS!

An interview that took place at BISP 2 with Ricky Rice, who had the $50 grand he won in the Battle Royal stolen from him by Badd Co. manager DDP.

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM THE AWA!

Commercials

In-Studio: Larry Nelson announced the eight AWA qualifying match-ups for the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament

Tommy Rich vs. Jake Milliman

Manny Fernandez vs. Ken Patera​

Jonnie Stewart vs. Brad Rheingans​

Cactus Jack vs. Tom Zenk​

Larry Zbyszko vs. The Trooper​

Akio Sato vs. Wahoo McDaniel​

Greg Valentine vs. Greg Gagne​

Col. DeBeers vs. Don Muraco​

In-Studio: Nelson said the match-up between Stewart and Rheingans was coming up on the program.​

Nelson intro'd footage from the end of the $50K Battle Royal at BISP 2.​

VIDEO:

(Final eliminations)

13 - Dukes - Eliminator: Badd Co. - 9:37​

This left Rice of the Top Guns and Badd Company...​

14 - Tanaka - Eliminator: Rice - 10: 48​

15 - Diamond - Eliminator: Rice - 12:01​

WINNER: Rice - 12:01

DDP was livid about Rice of the Guns winning the match.

Rice was handed the briefcase in the ring during a post-match interview by ring announcer Larry Nelson. As Rice and Nelson faced the camera, DDP snuck back down the aisle into the ring and came up behind Rice and struck Rice in the back with his cane. Rice went down and lost his hold on the briefcase. DDP shoved Larry Nelson out of the way and swiped the briefcase, bolted the ring and beat a hasty retreat back up the heel aisle.

In-Studio: Nelson then intro'd a post-match interview with Rice from BISP 2.​

# Announcer/Interviewer Eric Bischoff was standing backstage with Ricky Rice in front of a non-descript wall. Rice was still in his ring attire and visibly upset.​

Eric: Ricky, we saw what happened out there earlier tonight with Dallas Page. It's got to be frustrating.

Rice ran his fingers through his hair.​

Rice: It's more than a little frustrating, Eric.

I had to go through 15 other men to win that Battle Royal and the $50 grand.

To have that low-life Page sneak up on me and do what he did is not surprising. There is no level low enough that that man will not stoop to.

He will not get away with this. I can tell you that right now.

Eric: This clearly escalates the tensions between the Top Guns and Badd Company.

Rice: It does. How much hotter can the situation between our teams get before things just explode.

Rice pointed an accusatory finger into the camera.​

Rice: Dallas Page, I want you to know that Derrick and I are comin' for you and your team.

I won that money when I eliminated both members of Badd Company.

Instead of being a man and accepting what had happened, you had to sneak attack me and take off with the money.

Well, I'm getting that money back, Page! Every last cent of it!

So, you'd better be on high alert, pal! That money is livin' on borrowed time in you hands!

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson said he agreed with Rice that the situtation between Badd Co. and the Top Guns is on the verge of exploding and also wondered how this all ends.​

Said the AWA PWHC Tourney Qualifier between Stewart and Rheingans was coming up after the break.​

Pic aired of the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship belt with the caption: NEXT... QUALIFYING TIME!

Commercials​

AWA PWHC TOURNAMENT QUALIFYING MATCH: Jonnie Stewart vs. Brad Rheingans​

Rheingans came out to a decent ovation.​

Stewart came out to mainly boos but had some fans.​

Ref called for the bell.​

The two men came out of their corners and circled one another and engaged in a collar-and-elbow tie-up. Rheingans got the upper hand and drove Stewart into the ropes to force a clean break. The two men moved back to mid-ring and circled each other again and Stewart went to sweep Rheingan's leg with his hand but Rheingans evaded the move. Stewart moved on Rheingans and was caught by Rheingans with an arm drag. Stewart up and charged at Rheingans and Rheingans caught Stewart with another arm drag. Stewart up and went at Rheingans again and Rheingans caught Stewart with a hip toss. Stewart to his feet and Rheingans caught Stewart in a side headlock. Stewart quickly turned it into a belly-to-back suplex to break the hold. Both men up and Stewart moved in and caught Rheingans with punches. Stewart whipped Rheingans into the ropes and caught Rheingans coming off with a high backdrop. Rheingans slammed to the mat. Rheingans started getting up and Stewart drove a knee into the side of Rheingans' head and threw Rheingans through the top and middle rope down to the floor. Announcers pointed out that if he'd thrown Rheingans over the top rope he'd have been disqualified. Stewart ignored the ref, left the ring and dropped to the floor. Ref started the 10-count. Stewart snapped Rheingans up and drove Brad hard, back-first into the ring apron. Rheingans crumpled to the floor. Stewart climbed into the ring and stood back as the count grew. Rheingans started to get up by the ring apron. Stewart out on the apron and stomped Rheingans in the head. Stewart climbed back into the ring and the ref had to re-start the 10-count.​

Stewart caught on a mic.​

Stewart: Hurry up with the count!

Count growing.​

...7...8...9...te...​

Rheingans rolled back in the ring to barely beat the count. Stewart stomped on Rheingans. Stewart snapped up Rheingans, whipped Rheingans into ropes and looked to catch Rheingans coming off with a backdrop but Rheingans instead caught Stewart in a sunset flip for the pin. 1...2...thr... Stewart clapped his legs against the sides of Rheingans' head to escape the pinfall. Both men started to stand and Rheingans caught Stewart in a small package for the pin. 1...2...thr... Stewart kicked out. Crowd let out a collective groan. Both men up and Stewart stunned Rheingans with a knee to the gut. Stewart caught Rheingans with a couple of head shots and whipped Rheingans into the corner. Stewart followed Rheingans in with a running back elbow to the chest. Stewart whipped Rheingans into the opposite buckles and looked to nail Rheingans with the same move but Brad moved and Stewart crashed back-first into the buckles, stumbled out of the corner and went down to a knee as the crowd cheered. Rheingans snapped Stewart up and blasted Stewart with an atomic drop. Stewart walking around on his tip toes in the ring as many in the crowd roared with laughter. Stewart turned and walked right into Rheingan's arms and Rheingans caught Stewart with a belly-to-belly suplex. Surely this was it. Rheingans for the pin. 1...2... Stewart got his foot on the bottom rope. ...thr... Ref looked over and saw the foot on the bottom rope and patted Rheingans on the back. Rheingans jumped to his feet thinking he'd won and threw his arms in the victoriously. Ref went over and yanked Rheingans' arm down and gestured and told Rheingans he didn't win. As Rheingans had words with the ref, Stewart snuck up behind Rheingans and rolled Rheingans up for the pin. 1... Stewart grabbed a handful of tights. ...2...thr... Rheingans kicked Stewart off and Stewart hurtled through the top and middle rope down to the floor. Ref ordered Rheingans to stand back and began the 10-count. Stewart briefly shook out the effects of hitting the floor and climbed back up on the apron. Rheingans moved in and looked to grab Stewart but the ref intercepted him and ordered him to stand back. While Rheingans had words with the ref, Stewart turned facing the crowd and adjusted his left knee pad.​

Marshall: There is some sort of foreign object in the knee pad!

Crowd yelling for the ref to turn around.​

Rheingans broke away from the ref and came up behind Stewart, who was still facing the crowd on the apron, and grabbed Stewart and hit Stewart with a belly-to-back suplex into a bridgeout in the ring for the pin try. 1...2... Stewart kicked out. Crowd groaned. Rheingans snapped up Stewart and went to whip Stewart into the ropes but Stewart reversed and caught Rheingans coming off with his loaded flying knee to the gut finisher. Rheingans down. Stewart for the cover and hooked the leg. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as most the crowd vociferously voiced their displeasure at what just happened.​

Stewart had his hand raised and quickly dropped to the floor, walked over to the timekeeper's table and grabbed the mic.​

Stewart: Tonight was just the beginning for the Wrestler of the '90s!

Four more wins and I'm the first Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion in history!

You losers enjoy watching me in the winner's circle!

Crowd booed as Stewart tossed the mic and left ringside and headed back up the heel aisle the victor.​

WINNER: Stewart - Pinfall - 8:37​

In-Studio: Nelson talked about something being in Stewart's knee pad that helped him beat Rheingans to advance to the tournament in Anaheim.

Nelson said that after the break, the coal miner's glove match!​

Commercials​

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd the coal miner's glove match from BISP 2.

# PRE-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Eric Bischoff was standing backstage with Col. DeBeers. DeBeers was in his ring attire.​

Eric: Colonel, you're about to go out to the ring and face Tom Zenk in the dangerous coal miner's glove match.

What are you thinking right now?

DeBeers: What am I thinking?

DeBeers chuckled.​

DeBeers: I'm thinking about what a stupid American Tom Zenk is.

What kind of a man in his right mind challenges a wrestler to a wrestler's own specialty match?

Deep thinking is not an American strongsuit and Tom Zenk is living proof of that.

I've never lost a coal miner's glove match before. And I don't expect things to change tonight.

When I get my hands on the glove, I'm not just gonna use it to beat Zenk. I'm gonna use it to punish him without mercy.

Americans always have to learn the hard way and Tom Zenk is no different from the rest of you stars n stripes flag waving fools.

You Americans may be witnessing something very special tonight.

Eric: What's that?

DeBeers: The horrifying end of Tom Zenk's career.

COAL MINER'S GLOVE MATCH: Col. DeBeers vs. Tom Zenk​

Shot of the coal miner's glove hanging from a post attached to one of the ring posts.​

CMG MATCH RULES: First wrestler to climb up the ropes in the corner and grab the glove off the clip can use the glove as they see fit. No pinfalls or submissions until the glove has been retrieved off the post.​

Zenk came to the ring first. He was in his ring attire. The son of Minnesota got a decent ovation coming down the face aisle.​

Zenk climbed in the ring and did not acknowledge the fans. He was all business.​

Strong boos as DeBeers came to the ring down the heel aisle.

DeBeers climbed up on the apron, twirled his mustache and climbed into the ring.​

Ref Marty Miller called both me to the middle of the ring.​

DeBeers and Zenk glared at one another as the ref laid down the rules and patted each man down for illegal weapons.​

Ref sent each man back to his corner.
As Zenk turned to walk to his corner, DeBeers feigned going to his corner and hooked a u-turn and jumped Zenk from behind.

Ref called for the bell. DeBeers pounded on Zenk

DeBeers kept hammering on Zenk and slammed Zenk's head into the top buckle. Zenk spun around on the corner and DeBeers pounded Zenk with forearms to the chest. DeBeers went to whip Zenk into the opposite buckles but Zenk reversed and sent DeBeers crashing into them. Zenk briefly hesitated and then charged over looking to hit DeBeers with a running clothesline but DeBeers moved and Zenk crashed front-first into the buckles.

Blears: That brief hesitation by Zenk caused him to miss hitting that running clothesline on DeBeers.

Zenk turned out of the corner and DeBeers caught Zenk with a kick to the side of the ribs. DeBeers caught Zenk with some punches and then picked up Zenk and bodyslammed Zenk. DeBeers backed up and moved in looking to his Zenk with a kneedrop to the head but Zenk rolled out of the way and DeBeers crashed knee-first to the mat. Crowd cheered. DeBeers grabbing his knee. Both men up and Zenk charged over and pummeled DeBeers with a running clothesline. DeBeers crashed to the mat. Zenk went over and started the climb up the ropes to grab the glove. Zenk got a hand on it but couldn't pull it off. DeBeers recovered enough to come over and club Zenk in the back and pull Zenk off the middle rope. Zenk crashed to the mat. DeBeers stomped on Zenk and then dropped down and started choking Zenk.

Marshall: There's nothing the ref can do about the choke because the glove is not yet in play.

DeBeers up and Zenk rolled over on his side holding his throat. DeBeers stomped Zenk repeatedly in the back. DeBeers snapped up Zenk and went to finish Zenk off with his face-first piledriver finisher but Zenk twice blocked the move and backdropped DeBeers to the mat, Crowd buzzing. Zenk regained his bearings as DeBeers got up next to the ropes. Zenk charged wildly at DeBeers and DeBeers backdropped Zenk over the top rope down to the floor.​

Marshall: To repeat, there's nothing the ref can do until the glove comes into play.

DeBeers left the ring and dropped to the floor. DeBeers yelling for Zenk to get up. Zenk started getting up bent over and DeBeers caught him with a kick to the chest. Zenk stumbled back grabbing his chest. DeBeers grabbed Zenk and deliberately slammed his head into the ring apron three times. DeBeers grabbed Zenk by the hair and walked Zenk over to the announcer's table and DeBeers went to slam Zenk's head into one of the TV monitors but Zenk twice blocked the attempt, caught DeBeers with a trio of elbows to the side of the ribs and freed himself from DeBeers' grasp. Zenk grabbed DeBeers' by the hair and slammed DeBeers' head into the top of the monitor. Thud could be heard in the arena when DeBeers' head hit it. DeBeers went down on the floor. Zenk briefly re-gathered himself on the floor. DeBeers on his knees and bleeding. Zenk snapped DeBeers up and walked him over and slammed DeBeers' head into the top ring step. Zenk then grabbed DeBeers and rammed him back-first into the apron. DeBeers down to a knee on the floor.

Marshall: These guys seem more interested in maiming each other right now!

Zenk, feeling the effects of the match, was slow to climb back into the ring. Zenk briefly regained his bearings and went over to the corner where the glove was hanging and, after a brief pause, started to climb up the ropes to grab the glove, DeBeers found the strength to get to his feet, quickly climb back into the ring and come up behind Zenk, who was on the middle rope and reaching up for glove when DeBeers clubbed Zenk in the lower back and hoisted Zenk up on his shoulders, backed up in the ring and blasted Zenk with an electric chair slam. Both men down. Ref just watching. Both men slowly made it to their feet and DeBeers went to hit Zenk and Zenk blocked the punch try and nailed DeBeers with a trio of head shots. Zenk went to whip DeBeers into the ropes but DeBeers reversed and caught Zenk coming off with an inverted atomic drop. Zenk crashed to mat holding the jewels. DeBeers stumbled and fell back against the ropes. DeBeers quickly gathered himself and went over and, after a brief pause, started to climb up the ropes in the corner to grab the glove. Zenk made it to his feet and, while in great nut pain, managed to move over and, just as DeBeers got a hand on the glove, hit DeBeers with a low-blow to the groin. Heel move that the crowd popped for. DeBeers now singing soprano toppled off the middle rope to the mat. Zenk dropped down on top of the injured DeBeers and pounded the back of DeBeers' head repeatedly into the mat. Now, both of DeBeers' heads hurt. Zenk snapped up DeBeers, whipped DeBeers into the ropes and blasted DeBeers coming off with a flying dropkick. DeBeers crashed to the mat. DeBeers up and walked right into Zenk's waiting arms for a bodyslam. Zenk climbed out on the apron.​

Blears: If Zenk hits the missle dropkick on DeBeers, there's no way DeBeers recovers. Zenk grabs the glove and DeBeers is a sitting duck.

Zenk mounted the top buckle as DeBeers made it to his feet. DeBeers turned and Zenk went for this missle dropkick finisher but DeBeers fell out of the way and Zenk crashed to the mat. Both men down. DeBeers made it to his feet, stomped Zenk and hit Zenk with a fist-drop to the head. DeBeers turned his attention to the corner. DeBeers started the slow climb up the ropes. Zenk to his feet. Just as DeBeers firmly grabbed the glove. Zenk came up behind DeBeers, grabbed DeBeers around the waist and yanked DeBeers off the ropes and threw DeBeers down to the ground. Zenk climbed up to the middle rope and got his hand on the glove when DeBeers got to his feet and grabbed Zenk's lower legs and yanked Zenk off the middle rope. Zenk's head slammed into the top buckle. Zenk down to a knee by the ropes. DeBeers moved in and hit Zenk with punches. DeBeers snapped up Zenk and Zenk and went to pop Zenk with another punch but Zenk blocked the punch try and fired away on DeBeers with a series of punches as the crowd popped. DeBeers staggered off. Zenk stalked DeBeers and clubbed DeBeers in the back and whipped DeBeers into the corner where the glove was hanging. Zenk charged in on DeBeers but DeBeers fell out of the way and Zenk slammed hard into the buckles, bounced out and crashed to the mat. DeBeers used the ropes to get to his feet. Zenk stirred and made his way to his feet behind DeBeers. DeBeers, facing away from Zenk, reached into the right side pocket of his camo pants as Zenk started to climb the ropes to grab the glove.​

DeBeers pulled out his hand and raised it in the air.​

Marshall: He's got that blue chemical on his thumb that he used to beat Zenk at Super Clash 4!

Crowd popped as Zenk was able to grab the glove off the clip. DeBeers held his thumb close to his gut to conceal it from Zenk. Zenk standing on the mat put the glove on. DeBeers turned to use the blue substance on Zenk again but...WHAM!...Zenk instead drilled DeBeers right in the face with the coal miner's glove. DeBeers crashed to the mat like a finely cut Christmas tree falls on the snow. Crowd really into Zenk for probably the first time in his career. Zenk looked down at DeBeers for a second and then covered him for the pin. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the fans roared.​

Zenk stood up and the ref raised his hand in victory.​

Zenk looking down at the defeated DeBeers. DeBeers barely moving. Zenk then stood over DeBeers and grabbed DeBeers by the hair and pulled DeBeers into the sit-up position. Zenk raised his gloved right fist in the air and looked out at the crowd for approval to maul DeBeers with the glove. Crowd approved. Zenk, still holding DeBeers' by the hair, raised his right fist like he was gonna pummel DeBeers with the coal miner's glove. DeBeers weakly put his hands up to beg off. Zenk stood over DeBeers for a few seconds with the gloved hand raised to tear into the South African. Zenk then let go of DeBeers' hair and DeBeers fell helplessly back to the mat. Zenk stepped away from DeBeers. Zenk staring down at DeBeers. Zenk then climbed out on the apron and raised his right fist in the air victoriously as the fans roared. Ref checking on the injured DeBeers in the ring. Shot of Zenk walking back up the face aisle still wearing the glove.​

WINNER: Zenk - Pinfall - 10:51​

END PROGRAM

Ex-WWE star Tom Zenk who was part of popular Can-Am Connection dies aged 59  | The Sun

the autumn wind

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
JANUARY 1990

VERNE GAGNE'S HOME ON LAKE MINNETONKA

AWA head cheese Verne Gagne was at a crossroads...

He'd just gotten word from Jerry Jarrett that the new ownership, known collectively as Triumph Media Sports, wants to start a transition at the beginning of February so they'll be ready to come firing out of the shoot on the official takeover day of March 5.

Bill Watts and Jim Crockett were already making plans to move up to Minneapolis by the end of January and try and work with Verne on the transition.

Verne had not uttered a peep to any of the possible new owners that he might trigger the opt-out clause in the contract and remain in charge of the AWA.

At another meeting at AWA HQ, Verne laid down the law with Al DeRusha and son Greg that they were not to tell anyone of his plans or they could be fired from the promotion.

Was Verne going to call the new owners and tell them what he was thinking of doing?

Or, was he going to let the transition begin and then pull the rug out from under Triumph Media Sports on March 4?

Verne Gagne sat down on the end of the bed and asked wife Mary to sit with him.

Mary: What is it, Verne?

Verne: I have to tell you something.

I've told Greg and Al about it already but no one else. This stays between you and me.

Mary: OK.

Verne: Mary...

Long pause.

Verne: I'm thinking of triggering the opt-out clause and retaining the company.

Mary (stunned): What?! You can't be serious?

Verne: Business is doing better than it has since 1986. We've increased ticket sales to the shows. Fans are showing renewed interest in the AWA.

Mary (exasperated): Verne! Business could nosedive at any second!

These people have offered you a fantastic deal! Please, please! Do not blow up this bridge!

Verne: Let's be rational here for a minute...

Mary (upset): You're the one not being rational!

You better remember you're gonna need a chuck of that money to fight the imminent domain case against our home!

Do not do this, Verne! Oh, God!

Mary got up and started pacing.

Verne: It's hard to let go, my love.

But, I think I've got one more good run in me running the show.

Mary (even more upset): It's not a guarantee you'll have success with one more run!

The money being offered to us right now is guaranteed! It is good money!

If business tanks again we could lose everything!

Verne: Look, Mary...

Mary (being abrupt): No! You look, Verne! This is crazy! Do not trigger that opt-out clause!

They've agreed to keep you on as a consultant for a good salary! You'll be home most of the time!

We can spend more time with family! We can travel around around the country without any worries about you having to be back home

by a certain time to go back on the road!

I don't wanna talk about this, anymore!

Mary grabbed her pillow and started to walk out of the bedroom.

Verne: Where are you going?

Mary (angry): To sleep in the guest bedroom! Goodnight!

Mary slammed the door behind her.

Verne sat on the end of the bed in deep thought.

What would he do?

Which way does Verne go?

STAY TUNED...

Reactions: Brody