UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

AF.

Reaction score
Do UFC have anyone that can actually beat Anderson? They seem to feed him slugs just to continue the streak but I wonder if the middleweight division just sucks?

AF.

Reaction score
Yeah decent event and I considered ordering my first MMA PPV ever until I found out I was $45. Glad I didn't because the fights were really short. Enjoyed both the Main Events. The ending to Griffin/Ortiz was bizarre and I was thinking; what the fuck? Sonnen/Silva was powerful, emotion driven and felt like a WrestleMania main event. I enjoyed the fight, kinda reminded me of Lesnar/Cena from Extreme Rules this year where Sonnen sorta dominated Silva for the first round then Silva went into full cocky, boss mode and anihilated Sonnen with only a few punches.

Chase

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
Just randomly thinking, GSP vs. Jake Shields broke a record for the largest UFC event in history. I know it's not the same, but maybe a Silva vs. Jake Shields fight could end up with the same result, Jake is back up to Middleweight now and could make a case for a title shot with a few good wins.

GSP vs Shields did that because they were in a baseball park and it was the first UFC event in Toronto. Also Shields fighting Silva... That was my idea the whole time. If Jake decides to set his takedowns up, and actually do shit with em than yeah it could be good. If not nope. I am a Shields fan and the dude is changing his game up too much for my liking. Just cause you train with Diaz does not mean you have to fight like him.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Reason Shields drew huge was because he had the longest unbeaten streak in MMA at that point, hadn't lost a fight since 2004 and came off a big win over Hendo.

Silva/Shields would be a hard sell because Jake has looked rotten in every fight he's had in the UFC and no longer has his streak. Lombard is still a good choice if he looks explosive in winning.

Ryan

Reaction score
I think Bisping should've gotten the shot Sonnen got against Silva so I'm really hoping he gets a shot soon. I'm no Bisping fan, but he definitely puts in the work.

I'm reading people calling for a Jones/Silva superfight. Unfortunately, that's not something I think we'll ever see.

Last edited:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Yeah, Anderson is pretending to be best buds with Bones to avoid another hard fight, which is par for the course with him.

Vita

Reaction score
lot of questionable opinions in this thread imo. here's my quick thoughts on the big two fights

people who said Ortiz/Griffin was a good fight are Blue. That was like watching two elephants fight, except elephants can hurt each other. Ortiz and griffin are SO slow now it's pathetic. The way griffin acted after the fight was also pathetic, leaving the way he did and making his boss chase him like a child. THEN when he wins, which is debatable, he steals ortiz thunder by grabbing the mic like a dick head. I think forest lost so many fans in that fight, i really hope he retires. I used to be a big fan, but after the silva debacle it shows you just how bad and gangly he is. No way he's ever in the title hunt again.

I felt robbed with the main event. I wanted a legit finish, and while Anderson legit ended it, he got there because Chael slipped. I feel like a banana peel was in the ring and it cost me my main event, because nobody can claim chael didn't win round one. ugh. i would have preferred almost any other kind of finish than the one we got.

and to those thinking anderson is going to fight Jones, get a clue. They couldn't get Anderson and GSP to fight when they both had there divisions cleared. Jones' division isn't cleared and by the time it is, Silva is 38 or 39. That fight is never happening. Also for the record, Jones would crush him like a bug.

Dademo

Reaction score
Lmaoooo chael done fucked up. After that first slip it was over. look at this shit, anderson's fucking choking this dude, it's hilarious
untitled-149az7n.gif

everyone talks about chael slipping but that was his own mistake. anyone who knows MMA knows that if you make a mistake, anderson will capitalize on it. that's exactly what he did. Anderson's the best finisher in mma, and he finished that fight.

:dana::rogan::winning::Kobe::LESNAR: MMA Goat bowdown

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Griffin is slower than a constipated ... yeah he slow. In his fight with Silva it was like he was fighting in slow motion he looked that bad. In this fight against Ortiz... I was expecting a brawl and instead we got one round of that. The other two rounds we saw two gassed 30+ year old men throwing things that looked like punches at each other. Tito did manage the takedowns but just couldn't finish it. Forrest just threw a LOT of punches and kicks and that's why he won. Tito shoulda won. The speakers at the place I was at sucked so I didn't know what was being said during the interview but watching Forrest walk out like he did after the fight reminded me of the Silva fight... but at least he didn't run... prob cause he was too tired to run. But that was a punk move. As far as the interview thing... I dunno.

Silva/Chael... I knew it would end in a TKO/KO... it had to. And I felt the second round... just didn't know how it would happen. The way it happened worked for me. Did Chael win round one? Without a doubt. Anybody that would deny that is an idiot. But Chael couldn't finish the fight. Chael went for some spinning elbow/fist/something and missed. He missed and slipped and so Anderson capitalized on the mistake like a true champion is supposed to and moved in for the finish. Soon after the finish happened. I mean what did people expect? Anderson to back up and be like... come on man I know you slipped so get up and we'll continue fighting? No... If Silva would have slipped then Chael would have been all over him and nobody would have thought any differently about it. But since Silva did it... and finished it people feel robbed cause it didn't go like the last fight with Chael taking him down and pummeling him here and there and not finishing the fight.

Fact is... Silva won... via TKO. He won convincingly. And as far as what is left for Silva? Who knows. Jones is running out of fighters cause after Hendo who is really the next top contender in the light heavy? He's defeated Machida, Rampage, Evans, Shogun, Bader. After Hendo there is pretty much no other top fighter in that division. GSP has his fight in November. So really... the only way that a super fight tween Jones and Silva could happen would be at the end of the year if neither of them have another fight. Which in a sense can be doable. This will be Jones second fight this year and a fight with Silva would be his third of the year. Silva doesn't fight a lot mainly due to injury to either himself or his opponent but his division is cleared so he doesn't have a clear cut contender right now so IF Jones can get past Hendo then they could work towards that fight. But if it doesn't happen at the end of the year/January... then it won't ever happen.

And I think that Silva would beat Jones :D

TheOneKnownAsFetter

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
I don't feel Bisping deserves a shot unless he wins a couple fights, his last few showings have been pitiful.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Bisping is a good fighter... but against the top tier he just can't win. he can't beat the top of the line fighters. The elites.

Vita

Reaction score
in what world does Jon jones lose to Silva? keep in mid any catchweight fight would see Anderson slower than he is now. Jones is taller, bigger, would have a 7 inch reach advantage and is younger, so less likely to gas. I just don't see Jones worrying about Silva, not that it's ever going to happen.

and i'm not disputing that silva looked decisive in the win, i'm just SAD that the fight involved a slip at all, you know?

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I don't feel Bisping deserves a shot unless he wins a couple fights, his last few showings have been pitiful.

He dominated Mayhem and Rivera then lost a robbery decision to the #2 guy in the division....hes never looked better than his last few fights.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
in what world does Jon jones lose to Silva? keep in mid any catchweight fight would see Anderson slower than he is now. Jones is taller, bigger, would have a 7 inch reach advantage and is younger, so less likely to gas. I just don't see Jones worrying about Silva, not that it's ever going to happen.

and i'm not disputing that silva looked decisive in the win, i'm just SAD that the fight involved a slip at all, you know?

Well yeah Silva would be a bit slower but we've seen what he can do at light heavyweight and his speed isn't that slowed down by the move up. Jones is taller but he still skinny too so isn't that much bigger. The reach would be the big prob but Silva is the best counter striker in the game today. And I don't think we've yet seen Silva gas and he's had his 5 round fights. He had Chael on top of him for 4 and a half rounds and still pulled out a win. I mean I'm not sayin that its clear cut Silva would win but I just can't see Silva losing to Jones. He'll go for something and Silva will be there to avoid it and nail a counter. I just think Silva would have the edge.

And yeah it woulda been nice if he would have finished Chael off the way he did Okami. But... it is what it is.