UFC 147: Silva vs. Franklin II

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Apr 14, 2012 - In March, the UFC officially announced the date and location of the Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen rematch, but now the timing of the fight appears to be up in the air.

At a press conference following Saturday's UFC on FUEL event, UFC president Dana White confirmed that the date is no sure thing. In trying to finalize the show -- originally scheduled for June 23 -- the UFC has come up against some resistance because Rio happens to be hosting a United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development during the same week.

"The problem is, they don't like the idea of us coming the same time this United Nations convention is going on," he said. "The other problem is hotel rooms. Most of the hotel rooms are being taken up. And we don't think, we know that the Anderson Silva-Chael Sonnen fight is one of the biggest sporting events this year, in the world."

The UFC is expecting to run their event at Estádio Olímpico João Havelange, a soccer stadium which will likely hold around 55,000 people when reconfigured for MMA.

The UN conference is a three-day affair which takes place from June 20-22. The event's website does not estimate an attendance for the conference, saying it will draw "thousands," but does list 194 member nations. That conflicts greatly with the UFC's hope of taking over the city that week for Silva-Sonnen.

"I think it’s a huge sporting event," he said. "I think people will come to Rio from all over the world. I think we're going to need hotel rooms. Hopefully we’ll get this thing done the next few days, one way or the other."

The first Silva-Sonnen fight took place in August 2010, with Sonnen controlling the action for the first four-and-a-half rounds before Silva trapped him in a fight-ending triangle choke to retain his UFC middleweight championship.

If Sonnen vs. Silva II gets delayed because of this, I'd be so pissed.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
What is more important the UN or Sonnen vs. Silva II? Clearly it is the latter. Shouldn't be a massive issue though, just delay the show by one week and that will sort it all out.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Only problem with that is they want the show in a Soccer Stadium, and a week latter the stadium may be in use. Hopefully it'll all get sorted out though.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Lame, very lame.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I read somewhere that it's official and that the Sonnen-Silva rematch is moving to UFC 148 in Las Vegas, and UFC 147 was staying in Brazil but to a different part of the country where the UN Conference wont effect the show. Supposedly there's going to be a press conference Tuesday, or Dana will announce the change during the UFC 145 press conference Saturday night.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
There was a rumor going around saying the Silva-Sonnen fight was off and Silva was getting stripped of the title, but Dana squashed that rumor on Twitter.

And whatever jackass said Anderson silva would be stripped of his title is a liar. He is fighting Chael and there has been no issue at all!!

:lmao

Last edited:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
This has pissed me off so much.

Who cares about Vitor Bumfort against Washed up Wandy. Half of Sonnen/Silvas appeal was that it was in Brazil. Las Vegas isnt the place for a super mega fight like this.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Press conference is Tuesday to announce this, basically been confirmed that the fight is being moved to UFC 148. Shitty, but it is what it is.

I'm glad in a way though, as i'd like our fellow Gangster Chael Sonnen to walk into this fight without getting death threats from crazy Brazilians.

Edgeomatic

Reaction score
I think they should just merge these two confirmed fights with UFC 149 in Calgary because the Calgary card is fucking brutal.

Last edited:

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Well Jon Jones vs Dan Henderson for the title is likely to be on that card along with the Jose Aldo fight, so it might turn out to be a good card.

HB_Punk

Reaction score
I can't wait for this fight and for Chael P Sonnen to smash this fool.

The future MW GOAT.

Also I'm very happy that the event won't be happening in Brazil, I hate the events there the refs get swayed so much by the crowd.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I can't wait for this fight and for Chael P Sonnen to smash this fool.

The future MW GOAT.

Also I'm very happy that the event won't be happening in Brazil, I hate the events there the refs get swayed so much by the crowd.

:YES!:

Last edited:

HB_Punk

Reaction score
96918_o.gif

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
No doubt i want Chael to win, and he'll likely be my pick leading up to the fight but I'm still a little nervous Silva will pull some weird shit out and win.

I mean it's a must win for both guys, For Anderson if he loses this fight then everything he's worked for comes crumbling down, and if Chael loses I'm afraid he'll get lost in the shuffle and all of the shit he's talked about Silva would be meaningless.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
So I Just watched the press conference from Brazil and Chael was fucking hilarious as ever, antics such as making snoring sounds during one of Andersons long answers and asking him for the belt when they doing a photo op :lmao

Unless I was mistaken, Dana said that he was in talks with camp Aldo to move his fight to the Brazil card and will give Jones a few weeks to rest up sore hands and such but liked the idea of him and Henderson on the Calgary card.