UFC 146: Dos Santos vs. Mir

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiderman

Reaction score
Re: UFC 149: Aldo vs. Koch

Aldo is a complete fighter. He is very hard to takedown and has good ground game. His main asset is his speed and his leg kicks and also possess a powerful fist. I can see Aldo raising his arms on this fight.

I would love Aldo to take on Jung next. The Korean Zombie is really fun to watch, just full of suprises.

spiderman

Reaction score
I'm hoping Mir takes this to the ground and Subs JDS. Honestly, Mir might be the only guy who will be able to do it.
That's the biggest question, if he can take JDS down. JDS is quick and has a very good takedown defense. He is also a BJJ blackbelt so anywhere the fight goes, it is still an advantage for JDS especially on the stand up. My prediction = Mir is knockout in the first round.

Ryan

Reaction score
My only worry is Mir being stupid and trying to stand and bang with JDS.

By the time he realises that's a bad idea, Herb Dean will be waking him up and calling for the bell.

Haha, touche. On paper, Mir should be able to beat JDS, but I feel like JDS is more agile than basically any other heavyweight in the UFC. Don't get me wrong, when Mir is on his game, he's just as good, but JDS is going to be slippery so we'll see if Mir will be able to take him down. Mir doesn't exactly have an iron chin so I definitely agree with everyone saying that he pretty much has to take this to the ground for a win.

That's the biggest question, if he can take JDS down. JDS is quick and has a very good takedown defense. He is also a BJJ blackbelt so anywhere the fight goes, it is still an advantage for JDS especially on the stand up. My prediction = Mir is knockout in the first round.

I'd check that, I'm pretty sure JDS is only a brown belt.

Ryan

Reaction score

I have to agree that Aldo has seen zero competition in his weight class. I have no doubt that's he's a great fighter, but he just has no competition. I think saying Edgar would beat him though is a little unfair since Edgar would be cutting to get make weight and he'd easily have the size/strength advantage. Edgar really does need to move down though. I was talking to one of his striking trainers and they said that he needs more help with his kicks to really be competitive against Henderson. That was kind of a no shit revelation.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Plus, like Sonnen infamously said "getting a black belt under the Nogueria's is like getting a toy in your Happy Meal", so I wouldn't cite that as some defence of his ground game. He did look good in sprawling on the Primetime but sparring and the actual fight are very different things.

I really fancy Mir here (my predictions as of late have been fucking awful, mind) I don't know how he gets JDS down but if anyone can it's Mir. Tap or snap from there.

I hated how they were slagging Mir on Primetime calling the Nog wins 'flukey'.

spiderman

Reaction score
It's so easy to say that Mir is going to take JDS down or submit him but did you ever think that Cain Velasquez also have that strategy but was unsuccessful. That was even a wrestler who has very good success on takedowns. It's not as easy as you think. JDS will win this by knockout, no doubt...

spiderman

Reaction score

If Aldo wants a big payday, I suggest he makes one more fight in the featherweight maybe against Jung then move up to lightweight for a megafight with the champion.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige

Keep forgetting that the undercard is very good.

Most the guys are coming off losses but still make for great fights. Shogun v T.Silva should be a fun brawl, Silva looked like shit against Gustafsson but hes a tall, rangy fighter different to Shogun. See this being somewhat similar to the Machida fight where he brutalised him with leg kicks, but Silva will probs wilt and Shogun can tap him late on.

Love Thiago Alves. Him v Akiyama could be FOTN, as Sexyamas fights usually are. He didnt look too shabby against Jake Shields but still has shitty cardio and Alves' pressure should be too much. Akiyama is prol gonna get cut after this, hes lost all but one of his UFC fights, and that one win was a robbery.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
In Mir's defence though he is more diverse than Velasquez, he has great judo and sneaky subs, whereas Cain is a run of the mill "blast for a double leg" wrestler.

It will be a hard task to try and take JDS down (might be the first time its happened) but grinding him down against the cage with a bit of dirty boxing could set him up. Mir's cardio is shit so he needs to tap him early though, he won't last 5 rounds.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
UFC 146 is this Saturday, a lot of stuff coming out this week with the weigh ins, Pre-fight interviews and the Pre-Fight Conference. Countdown to UFC 146 + UFC Primetime are this week as well.

-Vbookies are up for this event already
-I'll have the Prediction thread up before the end of the day.

Last edited:

spiderman

Reaction score

I can see the fight betweek Akiyama and Alves ending in a KO. Most of Akiyama's fights always ends like that. I can also see a brawl between Shogun and T. Silva, they both need the win and both need to impress the crowd.

spiderman

Reaction score
I wish we can bet on this one. I bet $100 for your $50 in favor of JDS. Lol

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Hyped for this.

Wish it was Reem/JDS and Mir/Velasquez like originally planned, but the changes aren't all bad.

We get to see Lavar "THE ROCK" Johnson decapitate Struve

:winning:

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Johnson is going to kill Struve, it's not even going to be close. I'm fully expecting a first round KO.

The prediction thread is up for this card btw.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score

Just thinking about it i feel bad for Shogun, he's co-main eventing to Aldo and Erik Koch. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.