UFC 146: Dos Santos vs. Mir

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
With his hair and that body, he'd get ALL the chicks

:roy:

Reactions: 1 person

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I guess they're doing a primetime special for the Dos Santos/Overeem fight as well. Was announced yesterday they're doing one for Jones/Rasahd also.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Here are the wagering lines for Mir vs. Velasquez (Courtesy of BetUS):

Favorite (-) Underdog (+)

Frank Mir +300
Cain Velasquez -500

Gambling 101:

Bet $100 on Mir and he wins, you win $300
Bet $500 on Velasquez and he wins, you win $100

Even with the odds against Mir, I'm still going to be putting money on him.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Mir is certainly value at that price, he has looked much better in recent fights and he will be a challenge for Velasquez.

I was checking the odds before and Dos Santos is starting favourite as well although he isn't as clear a favourite as Velasquez.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I'd still give the odds to Mir in this fight. Cain was out for a while before the dos Santos fight and he came back for that one and he didn't look good and was beat quick. He's been out since then and is coming back... might not be looking that good again whereas Mir has turned things up a lot. Getting that old swagger back and once that happens... the only person that can beat you is yourself.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
A heavyweight scrap between slugger Mark Hunt (8-7 MMA, 3-1 UFC) and Dutch skyscraper Stefan Struve (23-5 MMA, 7-3 UFC) is the fifth heavyweight matchup added to UFC 146, and all five fights will be featured on the main card.

This fight tops an already HUGE card.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
tumblr_m0jrwzJQW91qkc6uso1_500.jpg

MAIN CARD

• [*=center] Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem
    [*=center]Frank Mir vs. Cain Velasquez
    [*=center]Roy Nelson vs. Antonio Silva
    [*=center]Shane Del Rosario vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
    [*=center]Mark Hunt vs. Stefan Struve

PRELIMINARY CARD

• [*=center]Edson Barboza vs. Evan Dunham
    [*=center]Dan Hardy vs. Duane "Bang" Ludwig
    [*=center]Diego Brandao vs. Darren Elkins
    [*=center]C.B. Dollaway vs. Jason "Mayhem" Miller
    [*=center]Kyle Kingsbury vs. Glover Teixeira
    [*=center]Paul Sass vs. Jacob Volkmann

The UFC Really changed the card around for this show nowsince i last updated, first time in UFC history the main card is all heavyweights. And the Prelim card looks damn good as well. Huge show, great card i can't fucking wait. Also Don't think that's the official poster for the show, but i found it and i thought it looked neat.
Found this awesome stat for the show, which is just insane.

These 10 heavyweights average 6 feet 3 inches and 253 pounds. Most interesting, though, is that they have combined for a 162-51 record, and have 144 finishes among those 162 victories, according to records from Sherdog. They've combined for 83 knockouts and 61 submissions.

Of their 51 losses, they've been finished 35 times. That means that of their combined 213 fights, the bouts have been finished 179 times, or in 84 percent of the fights.

The group includes the reigning UFC heavyweight champion (dos Santos), two former UFC champions (Mir and Velasquez), a Strikeforce champ (Overeem) and a former International Fight League champion (Nelson).

Last edited:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Amazing card.

Getting to see Struve bombed out is just an added bonus.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I'm beyond hyped to see this card.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Antonio Silva (16-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has been sidelined since his surprising September loss to Daniel Cormier in the semifinals of Strikeforce's heavyweight grand prix.

A lot has happened since then, including a surgical procedure, a change in training camps and a brand new UFC contract.

It's all for the best, Silva said. Things happen for a reason, and Silva believes his time is now in the octagon.

"I am honored to be in the UFC, where the best fighters in the world are," Silva told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) through a translator. "I want to face the best, and I will give it everything I have."

Silva's first step toward righting the ship was to address a nagging shoulder injury. He underwent the process in November, and he said physical therapy was a complete success.

"My shoulder was really giving me a lot of trouble," Silva admitted. "I was fighting and training in a lot of pain."

Next was a new (old) training camp, as the arrival of Alistair Overeem to Florida's Blackzilians camp led Silva to seek a return to American Top Team. While there has been some speculation that Silva's departure from the Blackzilians came with great tension, "Bigfoot" insists it was simply a professional decision based on the idea that he may one day need to face Overeem, the UFC's current No. 1 heavyweight contender.

"First of all, I was never part of the Blackzilians team," Silva said. "I would go there to see and train with my friends. The moment I heard that they had signed Overeem, I stopped going there. I might fight him in the near future, so I don't want to train with him. I have good friends there, though.

"I came back to ATT. I spoke to Dan Lambert, as he is one of my managers. I have many friends there, and they received me with open arms."

Following Silva's loss to Cormier, Strikeforce officials announced they would disband the heavyweight division. Silva was brought to the UFC and initially was linked to a potential matchup with ex-champ Cain Velasquez. Instead, he now meets Roy Nelson (16-7 MMA, 3-3 UFC) at May's UFC 146 event.

Nelson is just 1-3 in his past four fights and is in desperate need of a positive result. Meanwhile, Silva also hopes to rebound from his recent loss and expects fireworks in the matchup.

"Both of us need a victory," Silva said. "I have been training hard since December, and this fight will be a war.

"Roy is a great and tough fighter. He has fought the best, and I want to start with the right foot in the UFC."

Silva was once the EliteXC heavyweight champion before that organization closed its doors. He was considered one of Strikeforce's top contenders before he was eliminated by Cormier in the grand-prix matchup. Now, with his career again pointed in a different direction, Silva has his sights set on UFC gold.

That said, he refuses to look past Nelson in what he considered one of the most important bouts of his career.

"I will only concentrate on Roy – with the same determination I had with Fedor Emelianenko," Silva said. "All I want to accomplish are good fights for my fans, and I want the UFC happy with me. I need to establish myself in the event. There is a long road to a title shot.

"I want to thank first of all God. I thank the UFC for giving me this opportunity, and I will always give my best when I enter that cage. I want to thank my managers, Alex Davis and Dan Lambert, ATT and Team Nogueira. I will be constantly looking for a knockout or a sub."

I have to go with BIG COUNTRY in this fight with BIGFOOT Silva, Roy really need a good win to get back on track and i think it starts here.

Ryan

Reaction score
This card is insane. I'm so hyped to see JDS face Overeem cause that fight really could go either way. I'm hoping Mir pulls off a win, but IMO, Cain is really a stronger competitor as of late and Mir is just so inconsistent. He'll come into one fight looking like a God and the next fight looking like he should be retired. I would like to see Roy Nelson win after that brutal loss at the hands of Werdum. He was pretty outmatched in that fight in terms of skill but man he hung in there like a champ. I'm not the biggest Big Country fan, but I had to give him credit for that cause he took an insane beating.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I'm a big Roy Nelson fan, guy has so much heart he'll never give up. And i think he'll pick up the win here, he really needs it it's been a while since he got one.

Also I'm still sticking with my original prediction of JDS vs Frank Mir for the heavyweight title later this Fall, been saying this fight needs to happen since Dos Santos won the gold.

Last edited:

Ryan

Reaction score
I definitely agree that Roy Nelson has all the heart, but I just got a bad taste in my mouth when he was on TUF and it seemed like he wasn't always taking his training seriously. No doubt though, that guy never gives up and that's saying something when Werdum is beating you down. If it stays standing up, I can see Nelson taking it just because the punches he lands are usually really hard. I'd love to see Mir back in the title game against either guy, I've always been a big time Mir fan because he's inconsistent like I said, but when he has it he really has it. I'm not so sure he can beat JDS though.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Frank Mir is my favorite in the division, and i want JDS to win and for those two to fight for the title. But I've got that feeling that Overeem is going to fuck everything up. I'm not too worried about Cain Velasquez as this point.

Ryan

Reaction score
I don't think that Cain is posing much of a threat to any of the current contenders for the title. The problem is that Velasquez is basically fighting right at the bottom of the heavyweight division. I'm pretty sure he just barely came in at 225 or 230 lbs in his last fight and he's facing people like JDS who's 240 lbs and Overeem who's nearly 265 lbs. Skill can overcome some weight advantages but JDS is even more skilled than Velasquez as is Overeem so it'd be a fluke if he won in my opinion. Mir, on the other hand, can come in at 265, looking like Brock Lesnar but fighting as well as JDS and he can really kill it if he trains hard enough. I'm with you, I've been dying to see Mir with the title for a while.

I'm not sure when Velasquez can get back into the title picture. He's too heavy to drop down to light heavyweight and he just doesn't have the quickness of someone like Jon Jones or Evans. His skill set is definitely suited for heavyweight, he's just not as skilled as his competitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.