The Avengers

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Loki was always a trickster, over a real fighter. What did you expect for him to be able to kick ass villain wise?

As for Hulk, comedy was guaranteed when they added Hawkeye to the cast, as Hawkeye brings out the comedic side of him in every comic and cartoon variation. In fact in Earths Mightiest Heroes, eh refuses to join the team without Hawkeye and often times finds things to laugh at him about and vice versa. That is why Widow rolled her eyes when they originally told her she had to go find Banner, as Hulk usually never freaks out on him for some reason

Last edited:

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango
Loki was always a trickster, over a real fighter. What did you expect for him to be able to kick ass villain wise?

As for Hulk, comedy was guaranteed when they added Hawkeye to the cast, as Hawkeye brings out the comedic side of him in every comic and cartoon variation. In fact in Earths Mightiest Heroes, eh refuses to join the team without Hawkeye and often times finds things to laugh at him about and vice versa. That is why Widow rolled her eyes when they originally told her she had to go find Banner, as Hulk usually never freaks out on him for some reason

Yes I did expect that because I don't read the comics. Even as a trickster he did nothing really except for the Hulk thing.

Pardon me if I'm wrong but Hawkeye didn't have a single thing to do with anything comedy related in this movie so I'm not sure why it's gauranteed just because he's in there. I don't remember there being a Hulk/Hawkeye friendship hint along the way unless I just didn't notice it because I never knew about it.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
When Fury originally comes he mentions the cell for Hawkeyes friend at the start of the movie. That cell is meant for a hulk. Widow also lamented about being off to see the big guy in Banner. She had the gun under the table and all shield there because Hawkeye is usually the one who the both egos in Banner and Hulk relates to without a fuss. In one adaptation Hawkeye is why Hulk was freed from shield, in another stopped shield from attacking him, in another let Banner go, and so on. I guess they put in suttle hints to comic fans without outright having them go up to one another as friends

Another reason widow had the gun under the table was that Hulk can't stand her. In most adaptations he always jumps straight to smashing her which is why she was freaking out when he was transforming. The only reason he usually let's her live and go is because he likes Hawkeye, but he still usually gets a kick out of scaring her.

The only other Avenger Hulk has a peaceful relationship with is Wasp in the comics and animated world as he is real gentle with her even in insect size form. In earths Mightiest heroes there is an episode where the three of them (Hawkeye, Wasp, Hulk) are chilling at the pool in the Avengers manor with their coms deliberately off

Went off Ina bit of a tangent, but long story short, Hulk acts more comedic than super serious like previous movies whenever Hawkeye is present as a plot device more or less

Last edited:

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
With Walt Disney Pictures reporting another $29 million estimated gross for Marvel's The Avengers for Friday, the movie has grossed $299 million to date domestically and is looking to cross the $300 million mark sometime today.

It's also looking to destroy the current second weekend record for a movie, currently held by James Cameron's Avatar with $75.6 million as well as The Dark Knight's second weekend take of $75.2 million as projections have it bringing in as much as $100 million in its second weekend, down roughly 51% from its record opening.

Worldwide, the movie has grossed $854 million through yesterday, which should put it among the Top 20 all-time global blockbusters by weekend's end, placing it in the realm of Jurassic Park and some of the "Harry Potter" movies after a little over two weeks.

Check back later this weekend for updated numbers for what's turning out to not only be the biggest hit of 2012 but also one of the biggest blockbusters of all time.

Should at least be in the top ten before it's all said and done.

Batman has quite a challenge.

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango
I wouldn't really compare Batman and the Avengers at all. Avengers is practically made for everyone whilst Nolan's Batman is much darker. Do kids even like Nolan's Batman movies? There's not really a lot of action in any of the movies and Im not sure they can keep a kid entertained for long. Plus Batman will be rated R making it harder to surpass Avengers. I'm pretty sure Batman won't beat The Avengers.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Is it really getting an R? I hadn't heard about that. Then most likely Batman will def get the highest grossing R movie. Batman always been darker but done really well. But with an R your right I don't think it'll do as well, but it will do well. It'd have to beat 605 mill to be top R of all time.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Two movies with completely different themes, tone and a wholy different kind of adaptation. The "Comic book superhero" theme is the only thing that connects Batman and Avengers. Otherwise I see them as two completely different projects that I have been equally enthusiastic about since they were each announced.

I really can't commentate on which movie is going to beat the other at the box office but I'm trying my best not to have the two films compete in my mind. Avengers is simple, lighthearted and a lot of fun, whereas TDKR will be considerably darker. Comparing them is like comparing Saints Row and GTA: They come from the same place but go in completely separate directions so comparing them is kinda pointless.

Btw, TDKR is PG-13

Last edited:

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Thing is this is about numbers The Dark Knight is 10th in the all time worldwide box office. The Avengers by the end of it's run will be up in there too. So the question is will the Dark Knight Rises get up in there too? It's completely possible even though they aren't very similar. Basically it's a fight for top Superhero movie of all time money wise

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango
Ah my bad I assumed it was rated R because I thought the last one was as well but I'm wrong on both accounts. Still I think it's fair to assume it won't surpass Avengers.

Pete

Reaction score
Having a geekgasm ever since I saw it yesterday. If there is any justice, people will see past the fact that this is about men in tights and this will become one of the greats, if not of the decade, then at least of its genre.

It is such an overdose of AWESOME that I'm still wary of reviewing it for the "Summarise and Rate..." thread. I wouldn't be able to impartially talk about this yet without visions of Tony Stark spouting one-liners, Hulk thrashing Loki about with no regard for his godly status, or that awesome awesome AWESOME final sequence.

I rarely go to the movies these days - there's seldom anything to see. I either rip it off the Internet or pay reduced price for my tickets. This time, though, I knew I couldn't miss this movie, and went to my local small-town theatre, full priced ticket and everything. All I can say is, even with a 50p surcharge for paying by card, it was worth every penny.

I wanted so bad to clap and cheer, but it might have disturbed the six other people in the theatre with me (empty projection rooms FTW). It took all of my restraint not to do it, though.

BLIMEY.

Pete

Reaction score
OK, gushing over, what did you guys think of THIS Hulk? I was sad at first that it wasn't Edward Norton, but this guy really knows how to bring the nuances to Banner. I liked how he was all subdued glances and nervous twitches at first, even though he doesn't LOOK like a nerd that much, and I also liked how The Hulk still managed to maintain that same apprehension and sadness in his eyes even after becoming big and green and badass.

IMHO the weakest link was Thor. I know big blond hunks who can actually act are hard to come by, but I felt like his lack of acting prowess really stood out next to the beacon of awesome that is Downey Jr. Chris Evans suffered from this, too, but in his case, it was more because of how bland Captain America is - which means he couldn't really lash out or anything the way Downey does.

Also. what is with that uber-cheesy, ultra-fake Valhalla set early on? In a movie with this kind of budget, you wouldn't expect to see something straight out of a Z-movie like that. It sticks out like a sore thumb! The forest also had this problem at first (that rock Thor and Loki land on is SO fake), but was overall believable, unlike Valhalla.

Pete

Reaction score
It was an excellent movie every single minute was must see but everyone please stay until after the credits there is another scene that you have to watch and trust me you will love it.

In my projection room, they cut it off right at the beginning of the credits. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Triple post! Epic!

Honestly I enjoyed Mark Ruffalo's work as Hulk, I was pretty pissed when Norton wasn't returning for it. But Mark and Robert have been in a couple movies together, so they have some chemistry, and worked extremely well with each other.

spiderman

Reaction score
The cast fits the role, the action scene's are awesome plus I'm a big Avengers fan, what else can I ask for? It's definitely one of the best film this 2012. A must watched....