SmackDown Live Sin Cara OVER?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
The original Sin Cara recently spoke with the Mexican Lucha Libre show about what WWE plans to do with his character now that he is no longer portraying him for the company.

Sin Cara spoiled the WWE Main Event taping where Alberto Del Rio unmasks Hunico. He said that everyone knew that it wasn’t the real Sin Cara because of all the tattoos. He also mentioned that it would be the last time anyone in the WWE would see the character because he owns the rights to the Sin Cara name, gimmick and mask.

“I am the owner of the persona of Sin Cara. I say it openly because it’s all on my side, in my favor. I think that it’s best left to lawyers because I am the owner of the persona I am the owner of the [character's] image and I have proof.”

The hosts of the show mentioned that it is very uncommon for WWE wrestlers to own the rights to the named used on television. Sin Cara interjects and replies with the following:

“That depends on how the wrestler work their deals. I’m not here to talk bad about anyone. I’ve always been a person that goes the route of peace. I’m not going to fight with anyone or any company. I’m not saying that because I’m scared to fight a big company. No, Why would I? Everyone knows that the original Mistico went on to be [the original] Sin Cara in the WWE. So that we would not have any legal issues with CMLL, I automatically changed my name and my persona and continued on with my registered persona.”

I don't buy it. Why would WWE ever agree to this? They know the mask market they knew what they'd likely make seems like he's convinced himself otherwise. And "MOST" people don't know who Mistico is.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
No way in hell he's the owner of the character. Don't think it matters much anyway since it was unmasked.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
No way in hell he's the owner of the character. Don't think it matters much anyway since it was unmasked.

Dunno I agree there Rey's been unmasked, Kanes been unmasked no big deal.

Though they were probably both better established and favored more than Cara.

Also I don't consider an unmasking on Main Event as a big deal. He unmasked Hunico at the house show I was at last week and at the smackdown I went to last (either edited out or right angle)

Last edited:

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Rey has never been unmasked in a WWE bubble. They never admit it but then again outside a dvd anthology, he's always referred to as a WWE guy and had his wwe titles talked up.

I don't really but what he's selling. He stole the Mystico name from Hunico originally. He reportedly pulled a gun on Del Rio back in Mexico before. He refused to go to fcw. He refused to learn English which is why after the Chavo matches he was shit. He botched a lot. He also stopped a match because he jammed a finger.

Trips should slap himself after his first two major negotiated signings were him and Kong. They stole money and were the biggest wasted contracts and promo videos ever. Good to see Hunter has improved ever since, but boy he fucked up early.

Hunico can keep the gimmick or become a team with Camacho again, but theres no doubt he was better

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Rey has never been unmasked in a WWE bubble. They never admit it but then again outside a dvd anthology, he's always referred to as a WWE guy and had his wwe titles talked up.

I don't really but what he's selling. He stole the Mystico name from Hunico originally. He reportedly pulled a gun on Del Rio back in Mexico before. He refused to go to fcw. He refused to learn English which is why after the Chavo matches he was shit. He botched a lot. He also stopped a match because he jammed a finger.

Trips should slap himself after his first two major negotiated signings were him and Kong. They stole money and were the biggest wasted contracts and promo videos ever. Good to see Hunter has improved ever since, but boy he fucked up early.

Hunico can keep the gimmick or become a team with Camacho again, but theres no doubt he was better

r5.jpg

Say what? I didn't say intentional or unintentional

But demaskings just dont matter as they tend not to change sales.

punk13

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
therock2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
lita2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Never cared for the guy but liked that one top rope move he did when he 1st debuted.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Didn't WWE trademark "Sin Cara" like a month before it was announced they were in negotiations with Mistico???

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango
Yeah pretty sure WWE trademarks every name they can nowadays.

Not sure if they should just cut their losses with the Sin Cara character or give Hunico a different masked character but I'm not sure how that would work out. If Hunico stays Sin Cara, I want Camacho to take the role of Rey Mysterio and have the announcers try and do the same shit they did with Sin Cara. "Mysterio has gained a lot of muscle!" "Mysterio is looking better than ever!".

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
I highly doubt he owns that character. Just sounds like a bitter guy who thought he was gonna be the next Rey Mysterio when he never put in the effort that Rey did.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Sin Cara was asked by the Tercea Caida show if not speaking English hurt him during his time in WWE:

“I don’t speak it. The truth is, I don’t like that language, I can speak Japanese to you all you want. Before I wrestled as Mistico, I wrestled in Japan for two years and I love that language and I keep studying it. I never studied English, I don’t like the English language. You shouldn’t need to communicate in the ring, the wrestling should do all the talking. The fans need to feel like everything isn’t planned ahead. Not knowing English didn’t scare me.

I wasn’t scared when Darren Young and his partner Titus O’Neil told me I didn’t know any English. During a match I slapped him and said, “I don’t need to know English, I am a wrestler not a clown! I may be an acrobat, but this is my job.” Rey was in my corner and he thought I kicked him, but when he saw me slap him more times he told me, “you wanted to destroy him didn’t you?”

He also discussed meeting The Rock while working out at a gym:

“Rey Mysterio and The Rock are the most noble people in the WWE… One day I was at a gym working out near an arena and The Rock came up to me and gave me a hug. I was surprised. He’s always with his hood on and with his earphones. He has told me he likes my work. That’s a moment I will never forget, I never expected something like that, especially from someone as huge as The Rock.”

I agree it doesn't necessarily need to be planned out so much but come on.

Don't be a dumbass if I move to Japan I'm not going to be like fuck Japanese I'm going to sit in my cubicle (cause I assume cubicle work is the best id do) and use my computer to translate all emails from my boss.

He's starting to develop an Angle sense of dumbassery.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
His philosophy on the English language is like when Crysenberg calls some movie he's never seen shitty and criticizes it all the time.

Reaction score
It's not completely far-fetched. And as much as the WWE prefers to give wrestlers a new character and new name, they also have a history of using pre-existing names and characters owned by someone else if the guy is over enough or they feel they can work with that. Seems a lot more rare these days though.

The costume and mask designs of Sin Cara seem very similar to that of Mistico. While there are some design changes for the WWE's Sin Cara, I think it's done o keep the character very recognizable to the pre-existing Mistico fans, who are a huge reason the dude was signed in the first place.

I could see some parallels between the Sin Cara and Ultimate Warrior characters, though there are some important differences too. Warrior came into the WWF looking largely the same as his character from the WCCW days. One huge difference is he kept the Dingo Warrior name when he started in the WWE, then changed to Ultimate Warrior.

I think the important thing is that these are pre-existing characters and looks that the WWE wanted and used. Repackages of sorts were done, names were changed, but they were very recognizable to those who knew the characters before their WWE days. Warrior did win his court case when he legally insisted that he owns the character, not the WWE.

WWE might be able to keep the Sin Cara name itself. They have rights to use footage, pictures, etc of the character as used in the WWE for DVDs, promotions etc, as with any character that moves on.

What I doubt the WWE can do is tell Mistico that he can't go back to his old character because it's too similar to the WWE's Sin Cara. I'm sure they could try, but if it went to court, I seriously doubt they'd be able to do anything but outspend the guy.

The WWE trademarking something doesn't necessarily mean complete ownership to me. It's quite usual for them to trademark wrestler names and concepts they don't necessarily own. I think they had Rob Van Dam and all his gimmicks trademarked at one point, but that's to protect their own exclusive rights to use of those for the duration of his contract. It didn't mean he had to be some other dude when he decided to work at TNA.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I don't think him going back to mistico is in question, it's his assumptions that he keeps sin cara

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
If WWE never planned on owning the Sin Cara name and wanted to keep him popular in Mexico then why wouldn't they just keep him as Mistico?