Rumored WM 29 match plans scrapped?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
I can respect that and I think we can all agree Del Rio's first stint at a push was pretty weak. It's highly unlikely but I'm struggling to find heels that can hang with Punk.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Wait? I know Del Rio's first introduction videos(which I found hilarious) get hated on but I thought that was just from people that dislike his mic skills. His first matches with Rey Mysterio I thought we rather solid like most of their encounters ended up. No idea what more WWE could have done to make us know that he was going to be a main eventer for the majority of his career with the way Rey was putting him over like crazy.

Chase

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
With all this talk about Del Rio, I think he would make a solid opponent for Punk. Punk-Del Rio would be a good match and Mania Worthy.

Problem is we seen that way too many times in 2011 and really it does not sound like a true main event for Mania. Anyways Punk and Bryan could have been a good option but they messed that up already. So I say go Sheamus and just unify those damn belts. They mean nothing anyways so lets merge em.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Punk Del Rio were on several PPVs already and Del Rio would have to step up his mic work for it to be anything new. I would love to see a Rhodes or Barrett to step up but I'm skeptical about it. Barrett may have the mic skills to make some kind of feud out of it.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Austin/Punk has to happen just for the awesome promo's they can do together. And I don't see Austin just showing up LIVE! Via satellite either.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
The fact is Alberto still went to the top and still remains at the top. You may not like him but he's constantly in main events or higher mid card. The guy became a star and still is a star regardless of your opinion. The same can happen for Ambrose even thought it doesn't seem likely. I can't wait till three months in and people start marking all over Ambrose for his promos / in ring work.

Del Rio also fought Edge who is a Hall Of Famer which goes to show you how much WWE valued Del Rio. It can happen for Ambrose if things work out right. It was just a suggestion and if it happens, boy I'm going to laugh pretty hard and pat myself on the back.
He may be at the top in your eyes, but not in mine and I honestly believe that he hasn't lived up to all the hype after all the stuff that's been thrown his way. He was pushed far too quickly, far too soon and not because he was super talented, but simply because he's Mexican and we all know how much of a hardon WWE has for trying to create new Mexican superstars.

Hell, I don't even think his ring work is that good either and I know there's a debate going in the PPV section about this, but I don't think I would put him in my Top 10 best workers currently either, or if he did manage to scrape into it, he would be 9 or 10. His promos are mediocre at absolute best too due to better than average English, but Punk totally exposed him in their feud with how one dimensional and boring the guy is. Hell, the fact that alot of people only notice him because Ricardo is being obnoxious around him kinda says it all.

I know that sounds like i'm totally shitting all over the guy, but to an extent I actually don't mind the guy I just think he's extremely average at everything and doesn't stand out in any one area. I mean fuck, I absolutely HATE John Cena but i'd prefer to see his matches over ADR's because of the emotions of the crowd, Punk/Bryan also have the crowd going for them and put on clinics, Sheamus has very good matches too but again ADR is just there.

As far as putting Del Rio over because Edge worked with him, I really think you're clutching at straws there. Sure Edge was great, but lets no pretend he was an Undertaker or a Rock etc who will hand pick who they want to work with, he was simply told he would be would be working with ADR.

Kahuna

Reaction score
Punk vs Austin should happen, and if it does, it needs to be built up over at least 6 months. Start on the 1000th episode of RAW, have Austin show up, come out to do his promo and drink his beer and set something up with Punk interrupting or dropping in and instigating something.

Build it up over the course of 7 or 8 months, and it will pay off. Austin does action movies and trains regularly so I wouldn't go out and say he is a cripple or can't go, I would bet if done carefully and properly he could train up for it and give it one more go at Mania 29.

WrestleMania has been sorely missing a Stone Cold Steve Austin match in my opinion, and putting him in there with a complete contrasted anti-hero in Punk will make for such a divided crowd and epic appeal that I would honestly say would probably trump Cena/Rock in terms of people cheering.

It wouldn't be men vs girls and kids, it would be wrestling fans vs wrestling fans, and that always makes for something more surreal.

As for who could Punk face if Punk/Austin is scrapped?

One guy comes to mind before all else...

Dolph Ziggler

AF.

Reaction score
If all else fails, Punk turns heel before WrestleMania and faces Orton or HHH.

In fact, even better, HHH turns heel before WM and he faces Punk. Shit would be sweet.

Mr. Krueger

Reaction score
I was reading through the whole thread and as a possible replacement for Punk/Austin match, only suggestion seemed solid enough- Of the fatal 4 way between tPunk/Bryan/Rollins/Ambrose. That could have a great build up as well as an epic show stealing match at Wrestlemania.

If not, I would like to throw in something that hasn't been suggested in here. How about Punk Vs Brock Lesnar? Brock being the hothead heel and Pun being the jackass face who manages to get under your skin. The build up could be huge, right? As far as wrestling is concerned, Brock being the UFC guy now and Punk's art being "derived" *somewhat* from MMA- the match could be huge.

What say?

TKK

Reaction score
Honestly, if it's not Punk/Austin I don't want to see him face any other legends/alumni. Punk/Austin is a dream match up for a lot of people, I don't want to see The Rock stuck in there just to up the buyrate. Punk/Sandow would be amazing if given the right build up, but I don't see Sandow getting a main event push that early.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
He may be at the top in your eyes, but not in mine and I honestly believe that he hasn't lived up to all the hype after all the stuff that's been thrown his way. He was pushed far too quickly, far too soon and not because he was super talented, but simply because he's Mexican and we all know how much of a hardon WWE has for trying to create new Mexican superstars.

Hell, I don't even think his ring work is that good either and I know there's a debate going in the PPV section about this, but I don't think I would put him in my Top 10 best workers currently either, or if he did manage to scrape into it, he would be 9 or 10. His promos are mediocre at absolute best too due to better than average English, but Punk totally exposed him in their feud with how one dimensional and boring the guy is. Hell, the fact that alot of people only notice him because Ricardo is being obnoxious around him kinda says it all.

I know that sounds like i'm totally shitting all over the guy, but to an extent I actually don't mind the guy I just think he's extremely average at everything and doesn't stand out in any one area. I mean fuck, I absolutely HATE John Cena but i'd prefer to see his matches over ADR's because of the emotions of the crowd, Punk/Bryan also have the crowd going for them and put on clinics, Sheamus has very good matches too but again ADR is just there.

As far as putting Del Rio over because Edge worked with him, I really think you're clutching at straws there. Sure Edge was great, but lets no pretend he was an Undertaker or a Rock etc who will hand pick who they want to work with, he was simply told he would be would be working with ADR.

And I bet you think Orton is better than ADR, right? 8D

I can't wait until the next time I get to see the 'Clothesline, clothesline, duck a clothesline, powerslam' spot or an RKO out of nowhere.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Well the fact that Orton had several top quality matches last year and the crowd are very much into him then yes, Orton is miles better than Del Rio.

Thanks for your wonderful contribution as usual.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Orton's series of matches last year was better than Del Rio's. I'd go with Orton being the better worker in WWE right now, maybe not the better wrestler, though.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Del Rio had top quality matches too. I'm a fan of Orton, Del Rio and Cena, the IWC must completely hate me.