Rumored WM 29 match plans scrapped?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
To me the article is a bit silly.

This match has been far from ever being confirmed it's one of those net things where people want it but it's never really been on the table it's always been talked about but never officially discussed. As far as who punk faces I don't want it to be lesnar or Rock i'd enjoy Austin but I don't think having these guys face the attitude guy really helps the current product all that much. It pulls in huge numbers sure but does it help them develop and progress I mean having your top guys get even more over isn't really needed. it's guys in the mid card or the lower heavyweights that could really benefit from these attitude guys

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I expect about 20 more off and on reports about this till mania so not gonna read to much into since as said the match wasn't ever really confirmed or anything just Punk and Austin fueling it on twitter. As far as who I want to see him face at mania probably Cena esp if it was a case if one of them went heel or something like that and if one of them were world champ at the time.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
To me the article is a bit silly.

This match has been far from ever being confirmed it's one of those net things where people want it but it's never really been on the table it's always been talked about but never officially discussed. As far as who punk faces I don't want it to be lesnar or Rock i'd enjoy Austin but I don't think having these guys face the attitude guy really helps the current product all that much. It pulls in huge numbers sure but does it help them develop and progress I mean having your top guys get even more over isn't really needed. it's guys in the mid card or the lower heavyweights that could really benefit from these attitude guys

There is always talk of that one more match, one big feud that could propel someone into superstardom. For Punk... it would be Austin. Punk/Rock would be a good match but it just wouldn't have that feel... that extra "it" that Punk/Austin just because they had their twitter feud and it looked like it could happen.

Taker/Lesnar could work. They had a pretty decent feud back in the day but... I dunno if this era Lesnar would work well against current Taker since Taker is using more submissions and Brock coming from UFC now is using this whole MMA schtick so it would kinda repel each other in a way. Lesnar/Rock could work though. Taker could take on ADR if he will be healthy during that time. That could definitely help cement ADR at the top for the future. Cause even in a loss... he will look good.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Punk definitley needs Austin for Mania because i'd imagine that Cena/Rock/Brock/Taker will be used up in some sort of combination so that really doesn't leave him many big options. He's faced Jericho & Orton the past 2 years while Kane, Show, Del Rio & Bryan aren't big enough Mania opponents and Sheamus would be a bad matchup for both guys.

As for Dean Ambrose, what a ludicrious suggestion that was.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Punk definitley needs Austin for Mania because i'd imagine that Cena/Rock/Brock/Taker will be used up in some sort of combination so that really doesn't leave him many big options. He's faced Jericho & Orton the past 2 years while Kane, Show, Del Rio & Bryan aren't big enough Mania opponents and Sheamus would be a bad matchup for both guys.

As for Dean Ambrose, what a ludicrious suggestion that was.

And I'm sure anyone who saw Del Rio in FCW, or his stupid videos on Smackdown would have never thought he'd wrestler for the World Title at WrestleMania in what happened to be Edge's last match. If built right, Ambrose can be up to a high enough status to face Punk at WrestleMania. Hell, build up Rollins too, and we can have Rollins vs. Punk vs. Ambrose vs. Bryan in a match that makes all indy stars wet their pants.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Its a really good thing some of you guys won't ever work in creative. It was just a suggestion about Ambrose because he's that good and all he needs is a few feuds to really build up as a threat. I'm not saying it's my number one pick, Austin should be the pick but Ambrose might shock us just like Del Rio. They could do Ziggler with Punk again and that could be fresh because it won't with be Big Johnny around. Mania is so far away so I'm not going to worry about it until Survivor Series or so. I'm just saying that Ambrose has so much potential and it can easily happen especially with Punk really high on him.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Please, we've just started July and the guy hasn't even debuted yet and you expect me to believe by around the Rumble the guy will have been made to look legit enough to face Punk in a high profile feud at WrestleMania? Sorry, not buying it one ounce. It's not even as if he's someone like Ryback who has the pure size and they can put him on a massive winning streak.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Alberto Del Rio debuted in August, faced Edge for the World Heavyweight Championship at 'Mania.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
And? When did I approve of the Alberto push, it's pretty well known I don't rate the guy and his push was far too quick and a big reason as to why he's failed thus far despite the constant pushes he's gotten.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
You're one of the few that don't like Del Rio. I wasn't saying that you would like it, I was just saying that it's very plausible that someone could be built up in that span of time for a match at 'Mania.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
More like one of the many who after booing Ricardo, return to not giving a fuck about Alberto.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
The fact is Alberto still went to the top and still remains at the top. You may not like him but he's constantly in main events or higher mid card. The guy became a star and still is a star regardless of your opinion. The same can happen for Ambrose even thought it doesn't seem likely. I can't wait till three months in and people start marking all over Ambrose for his promos / in ring work.

Del Rio also fought Edge who is a Hall Of Famer which goes to show you how much WWE valued Del Rio. It can happen for Ambrose if things work out right. It was just a suggestion and if it happens, boy I'm going to laugh pretty hard and pat myself on the back.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
^ Don't agree I am actually more on Dale's side on this one. I do like Del Rio (althrough find him to be a tad overated), but his main even push was rushed he was in no way prepared to win the rumble and be in one of the top matches at Wrestlemania. And it is a debateable point weather he is that over or has been a sucess story. WWE screwed up his push and are now struggling to keep his appeal alive.

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
I was never really high on the potential Austin/Punk match. A part of it has to deal with the fact that no matter what Austin says, I don't believe he would be fully prepared to put on a Mania match. I feel like it would be the opposite of the Rock/Cena feud. The promos in this feud would deliver, but the match would be somewhat of a let down.

I don't see Punk being Champion at Mania, so I expect him to be in an upper midcard role. I wouldn't be surprised of Ziggler and Punk met again or maybe Del Rio and Punk(even though Del Rio bores the absolute piss out of me)

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Wasn't really a big fan of the Rock/Cena match felt it lacked passion and they held back too much also Rock was unable to overcome Cena's sloppyness. I think with a worker as smooth as Punk a one off deal with Austin could work.