Reach for the (Minus) Stars: Sky's Collection of Bad Matches

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Entry #635
Lex Luger vs. Curtis Hughes
Football Match

WCW from East Rutherford, New Jersey - January 11, 1991

Long time Sky Fans (what are you doing with your life?) may know that I briefly tried a Wrestling Observer recap. It died off because I decided to cut off my Observer subscription early. As far as I got (January 1991) there was one thing that raised my interest: a FOOTBALL MATCH! Not a Football Rules Match, like Bodyguards vs. Bandits. It's a FOOTBALL MATCH! And now thanks to the WWE Vault, I can see it for myself. The stipulation is: that it's an over-the-top challenge, but both guys are in NFL-looking gear. The seconds are respectively Lawrence Taylor (who's not allowed to get physical) and Paul E. Dangerously. They cut inaudible promos.

They get in three-point stance but Hughes goes for a kick. That's not allowed in handegg! They charge each other now and Luger gets Hughes cornered and refuses to break for far too long. Back to the centre, they barge each other again, and Hughes has Luger against the ropes. Hughes tosses Luger over the top, but the ref misses it because Heyman's distracting the ref. Luger gets back in and tosses Hughes over, before giving the forearm to Heyman.

It wasn't wrestling, and it certainly wasn't (American) football either! A bizarre, unentertaining display.

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Entry #636
Braun Strowman vs. Kevin Owens
Steel Cage Match

WWE Extreme Rules - July 15, 2018

Okay, back to the one-offs! Kevin Owens has only had one previous match here, which makes sense given that he's good, but I'm surprised I've never gotten to this match. It was at Extreme Rules 2018, a show I've visited twice before for this thread. Him vs. Braun in a cage should be hard hitting fun, right? Right?? Except this was part of a feud where Braun tipped over KO's Portaloo and covered him in liquid shit. WWE in 2018: the bodily waste promotion. Appropriate.

KO's apprehensive, because he doesn't "fight anyone", he's suddenly a coward in the face of Braun. He immediately tries to flee up the cage like this is the 1987 Commodore 64 game Intergalactic Cage Match (that's a reference I know NO ONE will get). Braun's making him look like a total jobber. KO finally gets sone shots in when Braun misses a charge and hits the cage wall. A kick, cannonball, and frog splash by KO, but it only gets a one-count. KO's scrambling to the door but Braun yanks him away. He's begging for mercy but Braun wants none of it. He tosses KO into the cage wall a few times, the fans always calling for more. Braun battering-rams KO into the cage and now he's just a crumpled heap. So much of this is Braun just standing there while KO slowly gets up.

A second attempt at the same move but KO escapes and hits a stunner. Time to scramble for the door but Braun's right there and slams the door in KO's face. Braun misses a corner charge and KO uses kicks to send Braun down, before handcuffing him to the ropes! How the fuck do you get handcuffs in a regular cage match? KO's kicking away, but being one-handed doesn't stop Braun hitting a chokeslam. KO taunts Braun as he climbs the cage, which enrages Braun enough to snap the handcuffs. They're on top of the cage where Braun chokeslams KO all the way off and through the announce table. Which means he loses. KO does a stretcher job, having won a meaningless victory. Braun celebrates his violent mistake.

I hate that finish! It makes KO look like a little bitch (as he did all match) and Braun look like a colossal dumbass.

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Entry #637
The Rock 25th Anniversary Battle Royal Presented by Pizza Hut
WWE Survivor Series - November 21, 2021

This is still part of the 2-appearance run, by the way. I noticed there's a big old block of one-offs that are in there because of the 2022 Royal Rumble, and there's another big multi-man match that wasn't well received from around the same time! A match that's meant to be part of the Rock's 25th debut anniversary, but has nothing to do with him. Instead, it's got everything to do with PIZZA! Let's go. Of course, a ton of guys get jobber entrances, including...
  • Alpha Academy (Chad Gable/Otis)
  • Apollo Crews and Commander Azeez
  • Cedric Alexander
  • Cesaro
  • Drew Gulak
  • Jinder Mahal and Shanky
  • Los Lotharios (Angel/Humberto)
  • Mansoor
  • R-Truth
  • Shelton Benjamin
  • T-BAR
  • The Dirty Dawgs (Robert Roode/Dolph Ziggler)
  • The Viking Raiders (Ivar/Erik)
And with actual entrances...
  • Sami Zayn (and his dogshit heel theme)
  • AJ Styles and Omos (he's BIG!)
  • Ricochet (holy fuck his theme is good though)
  • The Street Profits (Tez and Angelo come out with PIZZA BOXES and shill Pizza Hut with corporate slogans, passing a Triple Treat Box to the announcers)
Wow, that sure is tag teams they're doing nothing with! AJ immediately goes to the outside and cheer Omos on because he's a COWARDLY HEEL. I hate when heels forget how to wrestle. Omos tosses guys like Gulak out like it's nothing. R-Truth pops off to grab some pizza, because Sponsored! He offers a slice to Omos to pacify him, but he's unaffected. Otis is much more amenable, until Truth smacks him on the ass and gets tossed. We get a Tall vs. Wide staredown until Omos eliminates Otis. Gable struggles to survive against Cesaro but eats an uppercut. Ricochet does a sweet leapfrog dropkick to eliminate T-Bar. Cedric is gone. The main chant is "we want pizza".

A big pileup between the Viking Raiders and Team India ends with Shanky the last man standing, to set up an inevitable collision with Omos. Omos makes quick work of another giant. Mansoor fails to eliminate both Dirty Dawgs, takes their finisher, and is out. They then challenge Omos. Roode is gone, Ziggler wants mercy, but AJ comes in with a Phenomenal Forearm to get rid of him. Sami tries to convince his fellow remaining SD superstars to team up with him, but gets smashed and tossed into the Street Profits for the elimination. Omos removes Commander Azeez, then Azeez tries to drag AJ out, with Omos trying to save him. The tug of war spot ends with Crews taking out Omos's leg, so Omos gets revenge.

Everyone tries to 4v1 Omos but he's barely selling. Everyone hits their moves but Cesaro and Dawkins are gone right after. Tez tries to smack Omos but gets tossed. Ricochet is the only force left in the end, and he's trying to pull down the ropes so Omos falls over, but it doesn't work as he's just too big and he gets removed. Out of 24 total eliminations, 12 went to Omos. AJ tries to take credit. They go for the Pizza but Tez takes them out and tosses the pizza into the crowd before bailing with the rest of it. Flying pizza! This had nothing to do with the Rock. Nobody even tried to do a Rock move. It was just meaningless, hollow corporate sponsorship.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
oh nice this is the rock anniversary where he didn't even show up right? great stuff

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Omosapiens were eating good back then though

Reactions: Sky

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Entry #638
Too Cool/Rikishi vs. The Mean Street Posse
WWF Monday Night RAW - December 20, 1999

Next up it's the EPIC return to this thread of the Mean Street Posse! Two non-wrestler friends of Shane McMahon and a barely-a-wrestler friend of Matt Hardy. They're facing the WWF's dancing fools.

They're all out in tuxedos. Apparently they were told this would be 3-on-2. Kicking off with a brawl as the losers toss out Too Cool and focus on Rikishi... for about 5 seconds until Too Cool come back in and clean up. They're all focusing on Joey Abs, and Rikishi does a corner butt-bump. Scotty does the Worm. Gas distracts the ref so Rodney can come in with a surprise attack. Pete Gas is about as good a puncher as his friend Shane. This is basic tag stuff with Scotty playing face in peril but not interesting at all. Joey Abs misses a shitty elbow drop, Hot tag to Rikishi and it turns into an unstructured brawl again. Banzai Drop to Abs. Rodney eats the reverse piledriver from Rikishi and it's over. Time for Too Cool to dance!

Felt like a waste of time.

Storm Trooper

If I can be Storm Trooper for a Minute
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Entry #637
The Rock 25th Anniversary Battle Royal Presented by Pizza Hut
WWE Survivor Series - November 21, 2021

This is still part of the 2-appearance run, by the way. I noticed there's a big old block of one-offs that are in there because of the 2022 Royal Rumble, and there's another big multi-man match that wasn't well received from around the same time! A match that's meant to be part of the Rock's 25th debut anniversary, but has nothing to do with him. Instead, it's got everything to do with PIZZA! Let's go. Of course, a ton of guys get jobber entrances, including...
  • Alpha Academy (Chad Gable/Otis)
  • Apollo Crews and Commander Azeez
  • Cedric Alexander
  • Cesaro
  • Drew Gulak
  • Jinder Mahal and Shanky
  • Los Lotharios (Angel/Humberto)
  • Mansoor
  • R-Truth
  • Shelton Benjamin
  • T-BAR
  • The Dirty Dawgs (Robert Roode/Dolph Ziggler)
  • The Viking Raiders (Ivar/Erik)
And with actual entrances...
  • Sami Zayn (and his dogshit heel theme)
  • AJ Styles and Omos (he's BIG!)
  • Ricochet (holy fuck his theme is good though)
  • The Street Profits (Tez and Angelo come out with PIZZA BOXES and shill Pizza Hut with corporate slogans, passing a Triple Treat Box to the announcers)
Wow, that sure is tag teams they're doing nothing with! AJ immediately goes to the outside and cheer Omos on because he's a COWARDLY HEEL. I hate when heels forget how to wrestle. Omos tosses guys like Gulak out like it's nothing. R-Truth pops off to grab some pizza, because Sponsored! He offers a slice to Omos to pacify him, but he's unaffected. Otis is much more amenable, until Truth smacks him on the ass and gets tossed. We get a Tall vs. Wide staredown until Omos eliminates Otis. Gable struggles to survive against Cesaro but eats an uppercut. Ricochet does a sweet leapfrog dropkick to eliminate T-Bar. Cedric is gone. The main chant is "we want pizza".

A big pileup between the Viking Raiders and Team India ends with Shanky the last man standing, to set up an inevitable collision with Omos. Omos makes quick work of another giant. Mansoor fails to eliminate both Dirty Dawgs, takes their finisher, and is out. They then challenge Omos. Roode is gone, Ziggler wants mercy, but AJ comes in with a Phenomenal Forearm to get rid of him. Sami tries to convince his fellow remaining SD superstars to team up with him, but gets smashed and tossed into the Street Profits for the elimination. Omos removes Commander Azeez, then Azeez tries to drag AJ out, with Omos trying to save him. The tug of war spot ends with Crews taking out Omos's leg, so Omos gets revenge.

Everyone tries to 4v1 Omos but he's barely selling. Everyone hits their moves but Cesaro and Dawkins are gone right after. Tez tries to smack Omos but gets tossed. Ricochet is the only force left in the end, and he's trying to pull down the ropes so Omos falls over, but it doesn't work as he's just too big and he gets removed. Out of 24 total eliminations, 12 went to Omos. AJ tries to take credit. They go for the Pizza but Tez takes them out and tosses the pizza into the crowd before bailing with the rest of it. Flying pizza! This had nothing to do with the Rock. Nobody even tried to do a Rock move. It was just meaningless, hollow corporate sponsorship.

oh nice this is the rock anniversary where he didn't even show up right? great stuff
I was there for this... All this crap about The Rock anniversary gave us legit hope he would show up (even with a pre-recorded thing) but nothing. They said his name and he didn't appear. Which means clearly The Rock is not as good as Joe Hendry.

Whole show was a letdown.

And WWE has learned how to do corporate sponsored stuff so much better now. The Prime Canvas, the ads on the barricades and ring skirts. So much better than evoking the name of someone they had no intention of having there.

Reactions: Sky

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I was there for this... All this crap about The Rock anniversary gave us legit hope he would show up (even with a pre-recorded thing) but nothing. They said his name and he didn't appear. Which means clearly The Rock is not as good as Joe Hendry.

Whole show was a letdown.

And WWE has learned how to do corporate sponsored stuff so much better now. The Prime Canvas, the ads on the barricades and ring skirts. So much better than evoking the name of someone they had no intention of having there.
was peak Vince end-game leadership - he just gave zero fucks and straight up had contempt for the audience. sad stuff. at least Hunter actually likes wrestling and wants people to have a good time

Storm Trooper

If I can be Storm Trooper for a Minute
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
was peak Vince end-game leadership - he just gave zero fucks and straight up had contempt for the audience. sad stuff. at least Hunter actually likes wrestling and wants people to have a good time
totally. There were some good things (Roman heel turn) but it was a bleak time. That show may have been the least favorite show I went to. And hell I'd imagine if Hunter was running the main roster back then WWE wouldn't have lost all of Cole/Keith Lee/Samoa Joe/Malakai (Alaister) Black/FTR/Claudio/Danielson. Obviously they'd have lost some but if WWE was a better place to work back then I'd bet a few would have stayed. Hell that makes me think of a whole different question that isn't for this thread.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
HHH did manage to keep Joe after they fired him once even, then they fired him the second time :DEAD:

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
totally. There were some good things (Roman heel turn) but it was a bleak time. That show may have been the least favorite show I went to. And hell I'd imagine if Hunter was running the main roster back then WWE wouldn't have lost all of Cole/Keith Lee/Samoa Joe/Malakai (Alaister) Black/FTR/Claudio/Danielson. Obviously they'd have lost some but if WWE was a better place to work back then I'd bet a few would have stayed. Hell that makes me think of a whole different question that isn't for this thread.
there's some very interesting alternative timelines out there - how would have WWE faired if they got Vince gone much earlier is one. the other big one is the reverse, how would wwe and aew be doing today if Vince never left. I think for one, Punk is out of wrestling completely.

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Entry #639
The 1999 Royal Rumble Match
WWF Royal Rumble - January 24, 1999

And as promised, we're doing this Rumble! It's a "bad Rumble". Is it a "bad" Rumble? (If that doesn't make sense to you, go and read my 1995 Rumble watch.) There's a few numbers fixed in this one: Steve Austin is number 1, Vince is number 2, and Chyna is number 30. Can it still surprise me in a positive way?

Number 1: "Stone Cold" Steve Austin
Number 2: Mr. McMahon

As promised. Of course, Unnaturally Jacked Vince doesn't come out to "No Chance in Hell" yet, because that isn't his theme yet. It is, however, the theme of this show. Austin stomps a mudhole, before slamming Vince and stomping his cock. Austin is almost ready to eliminate Vince but wants to make him suffer first. I'm sure you won't regret that at all, Steve!

Number 3: Golga
Number 4: Droz

Fans are raising the roof to ICP music that we can't here! Austin beats on Vince more, Golga comes in on the attack, tries to toss Austin out, but gets tossed himself. Both Vince and Austin leave through the ropes, and go out to brawl in the crowd. They're headed to the back, and they leave Droz to stand in the ring like an idiot. Vince leads Austin into the ladies' toilet and the Corporation swarm him, also taking out the roving cameraman sent to keep track of them. Now our ONLY camera shot is Droz standing around like an idiot.

Number 5: Edge
Number 6: Gillberg
Number 7: Steve Blackman

This is a fun matchup you wouldn't expect to see on PPV, power vs. speed. Droz has Edge propped up in the corner until Edge does an eye rake. They're even kind enough to get the staff members to do Gillberg's smoke and sparklers. Edge puts him out right away. Cut back to the ladies', where Austin is knocked out on the floor. Droz has Edge propped in the corner again. Back to Austin, who's doing a stretcher job. Blackman comes in with kicks. Imagine if he'd actually gotten a serious push. "GET OVER HERE" -Droz doing his best Mortal Kombat impersonation. Austin's being strapped up.

Number 8: Dan Severn
Number 9: Tiger Ali Singh
Number 10: The Blue Meanie

FUCK YEAH! Severn is here to do awesome amateur stuff with Blackman, in his sweaty shirt. Austin's being stretchered off and brought to an ambulance towards a Local Medical Facility. Surely that's it for him. Tiger Ali Singh's offence goes unseen because of a shot of Austin's ambulance driving away. Meanie is left to fight Singh in one of the least-drawing matches I could ever think of. Soon it's Meanie/Edge/Droz and Singh goes off to scrap with Severn, who ignores him.

Number 11: Headbanger Mosh Mabel
Number 12: Road Dogg

Guess there's a change of plans here, as Mabel takes out Mosh in the back and steals his number! This is the five seconds or so when Mabel is back but isn't Viscera yet. He's still dominating after he strolls to the ring, eliminating Severn and Blackman first because he hates fun. Singh, Meanie, Droz all gone as Road Dogg makes his entrance. Dogg goes straight for Edge, who skins the cat but is nudged off. Mabel punches up with Road Dogg, but... lights go out! The Ministry shows up, and Mabel's suddenly out of the ring. They brawl to the back... I guess that means he's out? Taker stares at Mabel and he stops fighting back. This, for the record is actually how he becomes Viscera. Road Dogg's now just standing around.

Number 13: Gangrel
Number 14: Kurrgan
Number 15: Al Snow

Gangrel comes in with full-on brawling, which I like a lot better than your standard WWF brawling, but Road Dogg tosses him out right away. Road Dogg is once again standing around. Fans are enjoying Kurrgan's entrance, but we can't hear why. Kurrgan does the "patented" sidewalk slam and a boot choke. Al Snow is out without Head, which is a good job because an inanimate object having THREE entries is too much. Snow and Road Dogg try to double team and eliminate Kurrgan but Snow tips too far and Dogg tips him out. Like an idiot, because that means he's 1-on-1 with Kurrgan.

Number 16: Goldust
Number 17: The Godfather

Goldust tries to set up Shattered Dreams on Dogg but Kurrgan objects to any act of ball-kicking. Kurrgan's hat has now come off. Road Dogg tries to set up Shattered Dreams on Goldust but instead Kurrgan holds Dogg back and Goldust uppercuts him in the penis. Godfather boogies down a bit with the Hoes rather than enter the three-man midcard pile-up, but eventually enters to get Goldust from behind (ooh err missus).

Number 18: Kane

Time for our second "big monster tosses everyone" spot of the night! Kane removes all four midcarders present in quick succession, before clearing out a bunch of men in white coats. He goes over the top rope and eliminates himself to head through the crowd. And now, once again, there's literally no one in the ring!

Number 19: Ken Shamrock
Number 20: Billy Gunn
Number 21: Test

Vince lets us know he's back during Corporation member Shamrock's entrance. Still no Austin, though, and we're treated to 90 seconds of Shamrock standing and doing nothing. Vince joins commentary and gloats about Austin being gone. Gunn's out with one boot on and gets leg-swept by Shamrock. Gunn manages a back suplex, and he almost has Shamrock over the top but his ankle fails him. We cut to the back where the Ministry are continuing to brawl with Mabel and put him in a hearse. He'll re-emerge as Viscera... but here comes an AMBULANCE! And Vince knows exactly what's going on! AUSTIN'S DRIVING IT! He's still alive!

Number 22: Big Boss Man
Number 23: Triple H

Ever notice that Boss Man's music is vaguely like Austin's? So does Austin, making his entrance before Boss Man can. He chases Vince into the ring, where he's set upon by Corporation guys. Shamrock is out! Austin tries to choke Boss Man with a tag rope, but the table is turned. HHH attacks Test and it looks like it could be DX/Austin vs. Corporation, but Gunn attacks Austin because he wants the money. So it's effectively Austin vs. Everyone.

Number 24: Val Venis
Number 25: X-Pac

Shame Shamrock didn't last this long, huh? He and Venis were feuding at the time. Vince says the 100 grand bounty will come out of Shane's trust fund, because you know, he's a piece of shit businessman. Austin, Boss Man, and Test temporarily team to try and eliminate HHH, but fail. X-Pac is apparently the lightest Rumble competitor ever at 210lbs. It really was a land of the giants back then. Austin is out again under the bottom rope, and he comes out to hit a double axe handle to X-Pac. X-Pac kicks him over though.

Number 26: Mark Henry
Number 27: Jeff Jarrett
Number 28: D'Lo Brown

Sexual Chocolate is in! Boss Man holds back Austin so Henry can hit him but You Know This Spot. Jarrett gets in to the Test/X-Pac zone. X Pac levels his own partner HHH with a kick and gives the Bronco Buster to Boss Man. He soon makes the mistake of attacking Jarrett. Someone asks loudly if someone else can hang on. I can't tell who. D'Lo is with the Pretty Mean Sisters, and Michael Cole reminds us of that awful, awful Terri fake pregnancy angle. That also had a miscarriage. I'm not saying Russo has a problem with women... Oh yeah, Test and X-Pac are both gone. Jarrett and Boss Man team up on Austin, then Austin gets to beat on Jarrett until HHH eliminates him.

Number 29: Owen Hart
Number 30: Chyna

Owen teams up with D'Lo to attack Austin! It's a Nation of Domination reunion! Austin goes out through the ropes again to grab a pitcher of water and throw it in Vince's face. Chyna attacks Henry for... bragging about having sex with her, apparently. The Attitude Era maybe wasn't good. Henry's out, but Austin eliminates Chyna. Venis tries to stop HHH eliminating Austin so gets beaten up. Lawler calls a kneeling facebuster as the Pedigree. Venis tries to toss Austin so HHH eliminates him. Stunner for HHH! He's out. D'Lo's applying the hurt to Austin. He does his dropkicks, but the second time, Austin avoids it and does a GROUNDED CHOKE.

Crowd is way quieter than they were at the start of this match. There's a real lull in activity at the end. D'Lo stops Owen from eliminating Boss Man for no good reason. Austin tosses Owen. Boss Man does his slide-under-the-ropes punch, D'Lo hits Lo Down, Boss Man eliminates D'Lo, Austin eliminates Boss Man... he's the only one left but Vince is still in! They're now battling over the announce table, and into the crowd AGAIN! Austin has a chair and cracks Vince right on the head with it. In the ring now, Austin looks down on the fallen Vince, but Vince gets a nut shot! Back up, Stunner! Austin hits a second rope axe handle. Out comes Rock to distract Austin... so Vince dumps Austin out! Vince wins?! Shane and the stooges come out to celebrate with Vinceweisers.

As Rumbles go... INCREDIBLY flat. WWE will chop it up and make it look good on their documentaries, but it really isn't. Too much waiting around, too much nothing going on. Too much midcard while everyone's just wondering where Austin is.

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Entry #640
Trish Stratus (c) vs. Christy Hemme
for the WWE Women's Championship

WWE WrestleMania 21 - April 3, 2005

This is another part of the "reappearances" run, as I'm giving Christy Hemme her second appearance now rather than wait until 2025 for the Network to be dead so I can watch the Big Fat Oily Guy. This is also going to be the beginning of a series on what I'm calling (tentatively) the Shit Era for women's matches at Mania. The Playboy tie-in matches and meaningless tags and multi-woman matches, all the way from Mania 20 through to Mania 30. This is actually the most serious of the bunch, but Christy Hemme actually apologised for it during the after-party, so that's the level we're working at here. Let's endure it.

Sadly, it's the Network in 2024, so Walk Idiot Walk is replaced by Generic Keyboard-Preset Rave Track. Christy's accompanied by Lita for Team Red. Trish has no respect for Christy, even lying down and encouraging a pin. Trish shoves Christy, who tumbles about. To the outside, and Trish shoves Christy into the steps. She doesn't impact them at all. Trish hits Christy with a knife-edge chop and does her mannerisms. Chick Kick blocked and Christy kicks Trish in her nothing.* She does an... interesting face-first bridging pin for two. There seems to be a bit of miscommunication and Christy's selling Trish's chops weirdly.

Trish goes to talk shit to Lita, and Christy does a split-leg dodge in the corner and uses a sunset flip for two. The momentum doesn't last as Trish lops her down with a spear. To the outside for a bit more brawling and taunting Lita. Lita wants to help Christy but gets shoved into the guardrail. Christy takes advantage of Trish's heeling to roll her up. She takes out the legs a few times. Trish begs off but takes some turnbuckle bashes. Christy's reverse Twist of Fate gets two. An exchange of rolling pins see Trish very nearly not kick out, but a Chick Kick outtanowhere takes Christy down.

Honestly, not that bad. Christy's obviously about as trained as any Diva of the era was but she put on a decent showing.

* Please note that I use the term "nothing" in the Elizabethan sense. What does it mean? Well, let's put it this way. If you would talk of a man's "thing", then what is a woman's "nothing"? Yeah. Today you learned. Your local theatre's performance of "Much Ado About Nothing" will never hit the same again.

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Entry #641
Sable/Torrie Wilson vs. Stacy Keibler/Jackie Gayda
Playboy Evening Gown Match

WWE WrestleMania XX - March 14, 2004

Back a year we go, to a Mania that amazingly (for the era) had TWO women's matches. Victoria vs. Molly Holly (where Molly agreed to have her head shaved to get the Women's Title on the card) and this... I think it would be charitable to call it a "match", seeing the lineup. It's an Evening Gown match (but not a strip match, the women are just in outfits they can't wrestle in) featuring some of the most pre-eminent "don't think about their in-ring, think about their bodies" women in WWE history.

Sable confesses that she's feeling uncomfortable and restricted, so suggests they take the gowns off. We get stripping scenes for everyone except Jackie who isn't playing ball, so Sable and Torrie grab and disrobe her. Sable does some shitty-looking offence and Torrie hits a crossbody for two. In comes Stacy, who wastes some time showing off her legs. She uses them to do headscissors and a cornered boot choke. Traded sunset flip pins followed by a big kick from Stacy for two. Jackie back in but Torrie spears her. They do the catfight-rolling-over-the-ref spot. Jackie accuses the ref of touching her inappropriately, then tries to roll Torrie up, but is reversed for the three.

Very typical Divas sex match, which is to say it was trash.

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Entry #642
Torrie Wilson vs. Candice Michelle
Playboy Pillow Fight

WWE WrestleMania 22 - April 2, 2006

Next up is Mania 22, where we not only had Trish vs. Mickie in a downright REVOLUTIONARY women's feud for its time (as in, it was a women's feud that didn't revolve around a man or modelling), but also we had this! A Playboy Pillow Fight! I kind of feel bad for Torrie Wilson, as she'll just keep turning up in these. Combine that with all the garbage she was dragged into in WCW, and she's basically the First Lady of the bad matches thread. Let's watch some really demeaning shit! And by demeaning, I mean there's a bed in the middle of the ring and they're in evening gowns! Thanks Laryngitis and Bucky Beaver, very cool.

Both women get absolutely deathly silence. "Hugh Hefner Rules match... it was going to be Viagra on a Pole, but it didn't work out" -JR is GREAT. Crowd already turns on the match during the first catfight. Torrie at least does some wrestling moves, back body dropping Candice onto the bed and flipping it over. There's a little dog in the ring now, and Torrie rubs the dog's ass in Candice's face. This gets the most appropriate "we want puppies" chant ever. Candice gets stripped and does a headscissors over the ropes which gets a "Dirty Sanchez" chant. Hair-mare on to the bed. Candice produces scissors from under the bed (which is back upright) and cuts up Torrie's dress. She then grabs an issue of Playboy and shoves it into Torrie's face. The ROLL-UP OF DOOM wins it for Torrie. Candice rolls off in a bedsheet.

What the hell went wrong that even women getting stripped doesn't even pop the crowd?