Official NBA 12-13 season thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

SAL

Reaction score
These entitled Lakers cockmonsters demanding to get the "best" coach alive. God I hope that entire arena catches fire.

Showtime

Reaction score
1 - he very well may as he had already been and was dangled to the Wolves as well for Williams plus more, and the fact remains he can either revitalize a bench or get them some talent like Josh Smith if it becomes necessary, he's definitely 50/50 and not all together safe

2 - Phil has always shown to be willing to tweak the O. He added nothing but pick and roll when Pau was traded there mid season over teaching him sets. He allowed Farmar, Vujacic, Ariza, Brown, and Odom to run off the bench with a push it philosophy. The system Kobe and Shaq used was totally modified from Michael and Scottie to accommodate Shaq. Nash wouldn't be phased out at all.

3 - Sloan isn't the best for at all as he got ran out of Utah by Deron and Dwight isn't signed. Sloan is old school and authoritarian, but can rub guys wrong, and at the end of the day he has no rings to bitch at a Kobe as Kobe has won more than he ever could dream of, as has Pau who didn't take to Brown changing his role without question either. And you damn well may kill Nash if you ask him to be Stockton and set those picks and stuff like that.

4 - You ignore that Kobe was hurt. I'm sorry but he is still the best player Phil had on those teams and he still is playing like the best guy right now on the team. In fact Kobe is playing better now than he was Phil's last year and has been better physically post Germany as Kobe couldn't even practice Phil's last season because of the sustained knee and ankle damage he did by foolishly draining his leg 4 times that playoffs just to beat Boston and the like.Germany changed the game as Kobe hasn't missed a practice, and even his hands have been treated like his knee and ankle which shows. If you don't think Kobe would literally give it all to send Phil out better you are kidding as he admits it eats at him how it ended before.

And besides name me one team in the 90s, 80s, or 00s who made four straight finals as that is what the team tried to do Phil's last year!

5 - Phil retired because there was a lockout. He retired in 1999 and admitted in his book he would never work a condensed season. That said, he hasn't had a health problem in years and has had a clean bill of health as has been said during his checkups this and last year.

8owEC.gif

1. Trading Pau would be a huge, huge mistake. There would be no upgrade available. We aren't getting Josh Smith, so stop dreaming.

2. The triangle is not suited for Nash. Regardless of the tweaks Phil makes Nash would still not be at all a good fit. Nothing Phil could do with triangle would work well with Nash because the system is run in a way that makes passing point guards not necessary. There is a reason after all that Phil has never had a great passing point guard, it isn't just a coincidence.

3. Sloan would bitch slap them all. If you don't think Sloan could get respect out of that group then you're mistaken, especially Kobe as Kobe knows that Sloan wants it as bad as he does, maybe even more. Sloan has a desire to win that Phil can't match as one coach is going for his 12th ring while the other one is still seeking his first, one that he deserves. And fuck Dwight, you really think Dwight would get away with bitching when Kobe/Nash are still around? Sloan would not be a long term coach in any case so that really isn't a problem. Sloan's offense would also only benefit Pau or does the fact that Sloan had the best PG/PF pick and roll in the game for nearly 2 decades not show you that? Yeah Dwight would probably be run in more of them but Pau would certainly play a major roll as well.

4. Kobe could be playing like he is now and we would still have been swept. I don't forget anything, Phil has no heart or fire left to give. I don't want Phil because I don't expect the old Phil to come back, I expect the Phil we got in the last season which is quite frankly the type of coach that we just fired except he didn't put hours of work in and push the team to absolute max in practice. He was just plain lazy.

5. Phil said he was happy the season was over. Fuck outta with anything about the lockout. He was done and still is done and he should STAY done. People need to stop being delusional. Just because he's the "ZEN MASTER" doesn't mean he will fix all the problems that plague our team.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
1 - Pau has two ways to be used, depth or cash cutting. Josh Smith is a better fit next to Dwight defeniely, but he also offers cash cutting if they wanted the option, and it is plausible if the Hawks don't want to lose him for nothing. They could easily pair Pau and Al, and still have one extra year to make the pair work or flip Paus huge expiring.

2 - Nash s a career 50/40/90 shooter, even by definition of simply being Fisher or Kerr, he would make a living off his shooting alone. The fact is if you adapt to the Bulls trinagle variation, Kobe would be isn't triple threat where he is scoring at a 63.6% rate from so far this year, Dwight would be in the middle, Pau at the high post or elbows like Horace, and Metta well hidden somewhere off being Metta. Nash would still get to ball handle and make plays, but he would be encouraged to shoot, make the hockey assist, and break the O when he sees fit. Phil never stopped Kobe Ball if he thought it would get him a win, he didn't take away pick and roll from Pau, so I doubt he would take away what all makes Nash Nash when its about winning as long as it was working and getting results. I'm not saying its perfect, but its a hell of a lot better for Nash to be in the triangle than the Princeton, and even better for the other core guys to be in the triangle than 7SOL or the Motion offense at this stage of some of their careers (Jamison, Artest, Pau)

3 - Pau would have to be willing to finish strong which he hasn't been decisive about night to night for two years now. He would have to want to be pushed. He would have to want to deal with Sloan really getting on him, as Phil sometimes knew when to poke and when to step off, while Sloan is like Collins, total hard as 24/7. Likewise it isn't smart to say fuck Dwight when heis your future, your future superstar, something Bynum/Pau never could ever be considered to be, and you ain't to keep him to carry on the Laker tradition the next ten plus years. I am not doubting he would garner some respect, but he by the end of Utah didn't lose a locker room because of being tired, but because they couldn't stand him anymore, his star, his owner, or his rotation. It really blew up once Miller died in Utah, and I do see him having a short leash ala Larry Brown in keeping a team interested

4 - LA would've won god damn game 1 even with a hurt Kobe as he had them the lead, and Pau chose to foul up with no fouls to give and despite Kobe, Lamar, Phil, Ron, Fish, and Staples all going wtf. Phil was tired that year I'm not arguing it, like he was tired in 04 but came back recharged after a year. The fact is he would bring back his staff and he would bring Rambis back with him and groom him, and as you know the only guy with as much respect and acceptance as Shaq had with the roster was Rambis who Phil groomed side by side with BShaw. It would actually be an easy transition if they let him ween the team over to Rambis like he wanted to ween the team over to Shaw and the fact is he is hungry. Phil has commented on how Nash, Dwight and the like should be used to go alongside Kobe and Pau, and he wants to erase that last year like Kobe does, and he is reportedly trying hard to get Hamblen and Cleamons to commit which is big as they know mle about ball than Mike Briwn ever did. I mean the fact is another 3 finals run would be a challenge he would likely embrace as would selecting and training a successor to carry on Laker tradition as he ultimately was displeased by his own admission with Shaw and Rambis being overlooked for Brown anyhow

5 - Phil was thought to have retired after the 97 title. In his book he tells about the Lakers first offering him a freaking deal to take over them in 99 over just giving it to Rambis, but he declined as he said he had no desire whatsoever to deal with a lockout condensed year because he didn't think it was conducive to teaching and breeding winning. Like it or not as the schedule stands, LA is home heavy the next month or so which could be used as a basic camp as there are a few Lakers who already know the triangle. Phil had to recharge, he had to do it in 99 and 05 as well, and he had already stated in 99 he would never coach a lockout shortened schedule and that was when h was younger, so yeah it didn't take a genius to see he wasn't taking any job, but could be convinced to return to LA a year or two after under a normal schedule where he has time to implement his three phases of a season approach he discusses in Sacred Hoops at length,

Last edited:

Showtime

Reaction score
1 - Pau has two ways to be used, depth or cash cutting. Josh Smith is a better fit next to Dwight defeniely, but he also offers cash cutting if they wanted the option, and it is plausible if the Hawks don't want to lose him for nothing. They could easily pair Pau and Al, and still have one extra year to make the pair work or flip Paus huge expiring.

2 - Nash s a career 50/40/90 shooter, even by definition of simply being Fisher or Kerr, he would make a living off his shooting alone. The fact is if you adapt to the Bulls trinagle variation, Kobe would be isn't triple threat where he is scoring at a 63.6% rate from so far this year, Dwight would be in the middle, Pau at the high post or elbows like Horace, and Metta well hidden somewhere off being Metta. Nash would still get to ball handle and make plays, but he would be encouraged to shoot, make the hockey assist, and break the O when he sees fit. Phil never stopped Kobe Ball if he thought it would get him a win, he didn't take away pick and roll from Pau, so I doubt he would take away what all makes Nash Nash when its about winning as long as it was working and getting results. I'm not saying its perfect, but its a hell of a lot better for Nash to be in the triangle than the Princeton, and even better for the other core guys to be in the triangle than 7SOL or the Motion offense at this stage of some of their careers (Jamison, Artest, Pau)

3 - Pau would have to be willing to finish strong which he hasn't been decisive about night to night for two years now. He would have to want to be pushed. He would have to want to deal with Sloan really getting on him, as Phil sometimes knew when to poke and when to step off, while Sloan is like Collins, total hard as 24/7. Likewise it isn't smart to say fuck Dwight when heis your future, your future superstar, something Bynum/Pau never could ever be considered to be, and you ain't to keep him to carry on the Laker tradition the next ten plus years. I am not doubting he would garner some respect, but he by the end of Utah didn't lose a locker room because of being tired, but because they couldn't stand him anymore, his star, his owner, or his rotation. It really blew up once Miller died in Utah, and I do see him having a short leash ala Larry Brown in keeping a team interested

4 - LA would've won god damn game 1 even with a hurt Kobe as he had them the lead, and Pau chose to foul up with no fouls to give and despite Kobe, Lamar, Phil, Ron, Fish, and Staples all going wtf. Phil was tired that year I'm not arguing it, like he was tired in 04 but came back recharged after a year. The fact is he would bring back his staff and he would bring Rambis back with him and groom him, and as you know the only guy with as much respect and acceptance as Shaq had with the roster was Rambis who Phil groomed side by side with BShaw. It would actually be an easy transition if they let him ween the team over to Rambis like he wanted to ween the team over to Shaw and the fact is he is hungry. Phil has commented on how Nash, Dwight and the like should be used to go alongside Kobe and Pau, and he wants to erase that last year like Kobe does, and he is reportedly trying hard to get Hamblen and Cleamons to commit which is big as they know mle about ball than Mike Briwn ever did. I mean the fact is another 3 finals run would be a challenge he would likely embrace as would selecting and training a successor to carry on Laker tradition as he ultimately was displeased by his own admission with Shaw and Rambis being overlooked for Brown anyhow

5 - Phil was thought to have retired after the 97 title. In his book he tells about the Lakers first offering him a freaking deal to take over them in 99 over just giving it to Rambis, but he declined as he said he had no desire whatsoever to deal with a lockout condensed year because he didn't think it was conducive to teaching and breeding winning. Like it or not as the schedule stands, LA is home heavy the next month or so which could be used as a basic camp as there are a few Lakers who already know the triangle. Phil had to recharge, he had to do it in 99 and 05 as well, and he had already stated in 99 he would never coach a lockout shortened schedule and that was when h was younger, so yeah it didn't take a genius to see he wasn't taking any job, but could be convinced to return to LA a year or two after under a normal schedule where he has time to implement his three phases of a season approach he discusses in Sacred Hoops at length,

1. Depth doesn't win championships. I'm sorry to say this but when our starters are playing 40 minutes a game in the playoffs you won't want Jordan hill playing with them. If Pau gets trade=zero championships, regardless of who they bring in and whose the coach.

2. I never said Nash couldn't still be Nash, triangle wasn't used every single time down the court, but his effectiveness would go way down and he wouldn't be the fourth star that we need. Why have a passing point guard like Nash if you aren't going to fully utilize his talents? Buss fired Brown because he hated the princeton offense, as far as point guard's passing effectiveness goes, the Princeton and Triangle aren't that far apart.

3. Pau NEEDS to be pushed and Pau won't be able to get anyone fired. And pick and roll isn't always about finishing strong, he could still pop those jumpers he loves to pop, and if he actually starts hitting them consistently then there will be a major problem for other teams.

Bynum could be considered that future star and if this was last year you would be saying the same. Your opinion changes as fast as anyone's and it's annoying. Future star? Lakers will always have a future star. Do you really think it's hard for the Lakers to do as such? I don't give a fuck what anyone says as I know that if Dwight doesn't resign we won't be in limbo for years, we'll be in limbo until 2014 when a certain fed up star will likely join FA if his team isn't at least a major contender in the upcoming years. And no, I am not talking about Lebron, I'm talking about the best PF in the game. I don't like Dwight, I'll deal with him but in almost no way do I actually like him. My opinion of him isn't going to change just because he's a Laker.

Any coach that wins in LA will gain that respect. Sure Phil might have it from the get go, but if Sloan comes in and they're winning games then no one will question his ways. And if Kobe can manage to back Brown for the last year, then he can certainly do the same with Sloan, who is a far and away better coach.

4. I'm going to say this once and maybe you'll understand why I don't want Phil: Phil Jackson has literally NOTHING to lose even if the Lakers fail. Fuck out of here with that. I don't want a coach that won't catch any blame, just like the players hardly got any blame for all the bad that came with Brown. He will still be looked at as the best coach of all time, he will still have 11 rings, and he still be Kobe's favorite coach. Nothing changes for him if he wins or loses in LA. His legacy is set, while others like Nash, Kobe, and Dwight are still fighting for a ring in ways that Phil won't because he doesn't have to.

That's why he won't have the fire and hunger that the players have and the other coaches have. Players in all sports don't want to fail, don't want to let their teammates down, and certainly don't want to suffer any sort of embarrassment. Phil won't have to worry about any of this.

5. I swear you say things to convince yourself. He retired because he was done. He's 67 now and he isn't getting any younger and I don't think a whole lot as changed. Maybe he does want to coach four stars and see if he can win another, but wanting Phil just because he's Phil is stupid as he isn't the best option. Sloan is the best option and quoting articles about his old personalty conflicting with Dwight doesn't change that.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I do think there are a select handful of thins Pau could get you in a trade that helps you win now, but it is very few

I never once said Bynum could be the future franchise star, a future star and pillar yes, but I never said he was Magic/Kobe/Kareem/Shaq tier. Dwight is a guy who can be that. Bynum is a guy you go out and get an equal or bigger star next too which is why I always thought of Love or someone with the way contracts were arranged. I think there is a sat difference between superstar and all stars. Pau and Andrew are the latter of the two not superstar talents and LA needs one post Kobe.

Also, Jerry Sloan himself said he was not even contacted by LA and that he gets the only two cosches who can jsut walk in there and get the respect are Phil and Dantoni (Olympics and Kobe idolized him). Dantoni and Dunleavy arent even being brought in, they get a phone call interview, while the Lakers went to Phil's house to do some much needed ass kissing for how they handled his assistants. They gave the damn assistants pink slips before the playoffs even happened, which was just assclownary by Jimmy at the time and he is going to have to eat some crow,which will be good for the franchise as it will make him put winning above all, like Kobe and Jerry ate it in 05 to get Phil back and set the precedent of rings over bs.

I disagree, but get the point you are making. If Phil is hungry there is no better coach. There is no one better who will use the press, work the refs, and challenge stern and even his stars. There is no one better at getting big results from role players or breeding winning p. There is no coach who signifies the word Laker more so than the guy with the most regular season and playoff wins, rings as the head coach. I also think He is a challenge guy and teaching Dwight to win and making the correct transition from Kobe to Dwight, like there should have been from Shaq to Kobe is a challenge. Making a guy like Nash comfortable enough to be Nash but also win and preserve himself in the triangle and go from the only MVP to never grace a finals to champion is a huge challenge. There are things that he may want, and honestly shoving it in Jim's face like he did Jerry's that he is that damn good my be enough personal motivation to propel the team and have him invested.

i still also believe he would groom the hell out of Rambis and hand off the torch the way it was meant to be, personally which will better the team for years to come

Last edited:

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
So basically based on what I just heard Phil Jackson seems to want the VP/Coach role. He sure wants L.A to bend over for him.

Last edited:

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Phil walked into the Lakers facility singing bitch don't kill my vibe after staples gave we want Phil chants and they have been doing we want Phil stuff on the laker network. Mitch also said money was no object for Phil according to brass.

In short he going to make some people eat some crow, mostly Jim while Jeanie smiles her ass off next to him

edit - LMFAO @ Magic leading the dodgers crowd in we want Phil chants during the pr event, he gon get paid because it isn't just the common fan, but the network, the stars, the players, and the announcers (worthy was chanting it) and espn radio la promoting his return

Last edited:

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Pringles is head coach it appears if this leak is true, after Phil asked for a percentage of ownership in his deal.

still an upgrade from Mike, but god Bernie needs to tag on for D. That said I would've loved Phil, but when the third option is Dunleavy I got to be happy

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
SWERVE :lol: one of the best defensive players in the league with a coach who doesn't care about D is kinda funny. That said Nash is gonna get to be Nash which means pick and roll heaven for Howard. Kobe plays for one of his favorite players growing up so this could be interesting.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
SWERVE :lol: one of the best defensive players in the league with a coach who doesn't care about D is kinda funny. That said Nash is gonna get to be Nash which means pick and roll heaven for Howard. Kobe plays for one of his favorite players growing up so this could be interesting.
Wonder how the players and fans react. Hey showed Lakers live and during the pre show, halftime show, 4th qtr, and post game they were doing the we want Phil chant again. The Dodgers pr group with Magic did it yesterday. It will be nasty if Dantoni starts slow and that chant comes back out, and Phil will just smile.

Kobe and Dwight said they wanted Phil, as did Metta and Pau to the press. Even Nash called going from Brown to Phil a coup, but noted he thought Dantoni would be more seamless for them all personally.

That said they said TWC wanted Phil too to make Dish and Direct pay a monthly fee for the Lakers network as they are the last two holdouts and all the other companies agreed to $3.50 extra per month to cover them.

Cant see Kobe objecting to Dantoni because he idolized him, so it's jut up to them to win over Dwight with the pick and roll play. I also think Jamison and Duhon excel under him as will Meeks. Not sure where Pau fits or Hill for that matter as they butted heads in ny. Metta is a toss up, but I think he can be utilized

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I would assume Kobe would be happy since besides that he is playing for a coach now who has a outlook of the only bad shot is shots you don't take, lol. This could work really well or it could get ugly. Dantoni hates rotations bigger than like 9 guys so if people thought Kobe was out there too much before he definitely will be now. Crazy though they went the total opposite direction in coaches from a defensive minded coach to a offensive only minded coach.

Showtime

Reaction score
And the defense won't be as bad as people think, well not in my opinion. Last year he had the Knicks in as a top 10 defense and that was with far more defensive liabilities on the court than the Lakers have, which is basically just Nash. The said, I still wanted Jerry over him, even Phil, he was hardly my desired option.

SAL

Reaction score
Oh this is glorious. Their new super-highly paid coach has already been undermined by the two biggest stars on the team before he even got there. I may find a way to enjoy this even more than the Mike Brown era.