Official MMA (See: UFC) Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
I can understand why Jones wants to fight DC, I just wonder if he knows that DC possibly has a knee injury.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
I don't see why Dana feels the need to try and run Jones' name through the mud to pressure him in negotiations. It is dirty business and shitty for all parties involved.

Majour

Filthy Creep
Reaction score
Dana's probably desperate to make sure he makes as much cash as possible and he strikes me as the kind of person to do shit out of spite.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Jones is the closest thing the UFC has to a PPV draw at this point outside of what, Rousey?

They desperately need GSP to come back. Who else is there? Chael? Cain? Anderson's return could generate some buys. I heard he may fight Nick Diaz :diaz1::silva:

Majour

Filthy Creep
Reaction score
Jones and Rousey for sure are the biggest right now.

GSP was in Berlin as he was in Carmont's corner, but has he said anything about returning to fight? Sadly he wasn't one of the fighters at the Q&A.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
If Rousey is a draw then Cain is too going from PPVs. RR has drawn 340k vs Mcmann and 450K against carmouche as the main. Cain drew 330k vs JDS 3,380k against BF 2 and 590k vs JDS 2 according to wiki. He did a huge number with Brock but that was because of Lesnar plus the Mexican market is huge in combat sports so he can break into that.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
If Rousey is a draw then Cain is too going from PPVs. RR has drawn 340k vs Mcmann and 450K against carmouche as the main. Cain drew 330k vs JDS 3,380k against BF 2 and 590k vs JDS 2 according to wiki. He did a huge number with Brock but that was because of Lesnar plus the Mexican market is huge in combat sports so he can break into that.
Yea he's probably top 5. HW in general tends to be a draw itself unless I'm mistaken. At least I know the opposite is true; lower weight divisions simply do not draw.

I just remember Rousey vs McMann had DC vs Cummins as the co main so the number she put up there was really impressive to me. It was ALL Rousey because that card had no other fight to draw a dime. Wonderboy Thompson was on the main card ffs

oh and for what it's worth, Ronda's UFC debut sold the most HD-PPVs in UFC history according to UFC. And those are a lot more expensive.

People wanna see that Honda Housey ass in HD.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Bendo vs Khabilov tonight.

I root for anyone over Benson "Split Decision" Henderson. I could never root for a scumbag who pre plans an engagement in the fucking octagon like a douchebag.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
I want to hate the flyweights but I just can't. I do wish we stopped at 145 and just forced the guys to fight bigger dudes, but oh well.

Did you see Rogan talking about weight cutting? I agree with him completely. I hate how this has become the ultimate weight cutting championship

http://www.bjpenn.com/joe-rogan-believes-that-cutting-weight-for-fights-is-cheating/

I've heard of Flyweights coming to the cage at 152. That's 27 pounds ffs.

anyway, Rogan's points are... on point.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Apparently McCall came in at 150 one time and Dodson tweeted a pic of him weighing 152 although that may not be legit (wouldn't surprise me if it was he's pretty built for 5"3.)

Extreme weight cuts are a huge issue such as Barao, McCall , Tibau etc but how do you solve it? Same day weighins increase the risk, don't they have tests for wrestling where they give you a lowest class you can compete in? Any idea how that works? Also why is HS wrestling capped at 285 whilst MMA is 265 that seems so idiotic.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
I think you can have doctors monitoring a guys weight during camp just like they do random drug testing now. I think Joe mentions it in the article I posted. Personally if I ran the UFC I would just start telling guys where they are to compete, eliminating the extra ridiculous BS.

I would say force guys to compete in the proper weight division based on the weight they walk around at. If you walk around at 210-220, you are a LHW. I don't care if you can kill yourself to make 185, you are a LHW. Same with big LHWs who cut from 230+. You are a HW. Anyone cutting 25+ pounds during camp, especially the ones who lose the last 10-15 of water weight, simply can't be healthy for you.

And I realize weight cutting is a double edged sword. Not everyone can just cut 50 pounds and win fights by being bigger and stronger. It is an ability, but one I would rather not see factor into fights. On the flip side of smooth weight cuts we often times see major weight cutting result in drained fighters and poor fights.