Official Football Discussion Thread 2013/14

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
That was quite possibly one of the shittest games of football to watch. At least Moyes somewhat went for it though, Mourinho was such a negative bastard.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Pretty dull game.

Expect Chelsea to be defensive but not exactly to the degree they were tonight. What does Mata have to do to get a look in? He was Chelsea's best player last season and really could have added a little bit of spark to their midfield. Instead he brought on Mikel.

Man Utd were fairly defensive minded as well. Moyes had Kagawa on the bench but decided to stick with Carrick and Cleverley, even though they never looked like slipping a killer ball through to van Persie or Welbeck.

Whole game was a case where neither manager wanted to lose. Chelsea more so than Man Utd.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
Dreadful game. Great to have Jose back eh? Not to start a striker while having the wealth of talent Chelsea have up front is mental.

Good result for City and Arsenal though and, based on the first two games, Liverpool.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Dreadful game. Great to have Jose back eh? Not to start a striker while having the wealth of talent Chelsea have up front is mental.

Good result for City and Arsenal though and, based on the first two games, Liverpool.

First off all I get the negativity because of the game being a let down (although is that really a surprise? These early season games between the big boys normally are) but the stick Jose is getting is silly. Look at it from his point of view his team had won their opening two games so a draw at Old Trafford and seven points from a possible nine is a good start for them. Also Utd have good pace on the counter attack so a more attacking Chelsea might have played into their hands. Poor game yes but I don't blame either manager at this stage, if this was later in the season and there was more riding on it that is when you expect them to go for it more.

The result means nothing to City, Arsenal or Liverpool at this point least of all City because they lost their game.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
First off all I get the negativity because of the game being a let down (although is that really a surprise? These early season games between the big boys normally are) but the stick Jose is getting is silly. Look at it from his point of view his team had won their opening two games so a draw at Old Trafford and seven points from a possible nine is a good start for them. Also Utd have good pace on the counter attack so a more attacking Chelsea might have played into their hands. Poor game yes but I don't blame either manager at this stage, if this was later in the season and there was more riding on it that is when you expect them to go for it more.

The result means nothing to City, Arsenal or Liverpool at this point least of all City because they lost their game.

Disagree completely. Man Utd have lost their talismanic manager, Chelsea arguably have a better squad than them at the moment, it was certainly worth a go. For a team like Chelsea to go in without a striker is a disappointment. No one is asking them to go in three up front, but just to play with a recognised striker would be a start.

Of course it matters to their rivals. At the end of the season the points you win and lose against your closest rivals tend to count, no matter when in the season the results happened.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Torres was on the bench again tonight. so no surprises there. But I was surprised Mourinho went with André Schürrle up front by himself, and not use either Ba or Lukaku. When Torres came on, he looked awful as per usual. If I was Jose, i'd sell him because his best days are long gone.

As for the match, I watched it all and thought 0-0 was a fair result (shame it wasn't 2-1 to us as I had a £2 at the bookies which would've won me £20 had the score come in) Rooney looked really good out there earlier, and seemed to be playing with a bit more passion than he did when he came on against Swansea last week. Ashley Young made his comeback, which was good to see as he's been out for a while, and we could do with some extra squad depth on the wing.

We've been now linked with Gareth Bale, I don't see him signing for us as I don't see the Glazer's forking out that much for 1 player. Hopefully we can add a player or two before the transfer window closes. But as each day passes, I find it more and more unlikely that's going to happen.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Disagree completely. Man Utd have lost their talismanic manager, Chelsea arguably have a better squad than them at the moment, it was certainly worth a go. For a team like Chelsea to go in without a striker is a disappointment. No one is asking them to go in three up front, but just to play with a recognised striker would be a start.

Of course it matters to their rivals. At the end of the season the points you win and lose against your closest rivals tend to count, no matter when in the season the results happened.

Guess most of that is fair, but the fact is they got a result so up to a point you have to concede that his tactics worked. I honestly don't place that much value in this kind of game so early in the season. Also he knows he has those strikers in reserved which is a good position to be in. Agree with Breakaway however that Torries days at Chelsea are numbered.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
Guess most of that is fair, but the fact is they got a result so up to a point you have to concede that his tactics worked. I honestly don't place that much value in this kind of game so early in the season. Also he knows he has those strikers in reserved which is a good position to be in. Agree with Breakaway however that Torries days at Chelsea are numbered.

It's fair enough if you're Stoke or Sunderland, but if you have designs on winning the league - as I'm sure Chelsea do - then you have to be a bit more positive. His tactics did work, all I'm saying is that if I'm Man Utd I'd now be thinking "they fear us, we can take them at the Bridge".

Torres needs to go back to Spain, it's the only way he can rescue his career at the moment.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
It's fair enough if you're Stoke or Sunderland, but if you have designs on winning the league - as I'm sure Chelsea do - then you have to be a bit more positive. His tactics did work, all I'm saying is that if I'm Man Utd I'd now be thinking "they fear us, we can take them at the Bridge".

Torres needs to go back to Spain, it's the only way he can rescue his career at the moment.

But if that game was later in the season or even had more on it then I don't think Chelsea would have been so defensive. He should have played at least one striker I admit but its not like they lost the game a draw at Old Trafford is a decent result at this stage, and Utd would settle for it too.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
That was quite possibly one of the shittest games of football to watch. At least Moyes somewhat went for it though, Mourinho was such a negative bastard.

Chelsea had more shots on target......slag them off for not playing a striker but Man Utd might as well not of played one either, I didn't see Van Persie all game and Rooney was more of a defender than attacker.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
But at least Moyes lined up to actually look to win the game with the three strikers starting whereas Mourinho, well i'm not buying into the mobility bullshit one bit.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I invite all you buddies to the Arsenal Champions League qualification party, 10pm, in this very thread.

Be sure to turn up!

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
They do need to sign a top class striker, but they still have some good options at the moment. Ba is a very good target man who does need someone to support him, but given the right partner he is very effective. Lukaku is promising and gives them some extra pace up front and even if he is a shell of his former self Torres can still be used as a impact sub here and there. I would sell him but hold onto Ba and Lukaku.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
They do need to sign a top class striker, but they still have some good options at the moment. Ba is a very good target man who does need someone to support him, but given the right partner he is very effective. Lukaku is promising and gives them some extra pace up front and even if he is a shell of his former self Torres can still be used as a impact sub here and there. I would sell him but hold onto Ba and Lukaku.

For whatever reason, Mourinho doesn't seem to fancy any of them.