Official Football Discussion Thread 2013/14

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Yeah, great performance against Juve.

I'm sure the whole of Europe is dreading facing all your League 1 players :lol:

Samaras :lol: :lol:

Ozymandias

Reaction score
Again, yes, we got pumped by Juve.... in the last 16, despite all our "league 1 players".

Perhaps you should ask Arsene to turn his attention to League 1 if you want to get that far again.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
^ Thanks guys but you are in danger of getting cucked out of this thread again, just saying...

On Arsenal's keeper (see how I avoided having to spell it) you must remember that he is still young and learning his craft. I think he is a very good keeper who is still prone to errors but most keepers don't really develop till their 30s. You do need maybe a good back up keeper.

Well tough break for Villa getting Spurs in the next round, but of course we knocked Man City out around about the same time last year so you never know maybe Spurs will have one eye on Europe and the league.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
So...

Group A: Manchester United, Shakhtar Donetsk, Bayer Leverkusen, Real Sociedad
Group B: Real Madrid, Juventus, Galatasaray, Copenhagen
Group C: Benfica, Paris St-Germain, Olympiakos, Anderlecht
Group D: Bayern Munich, CSKA Moscow, Manchester City, Viktoria Plzen
Group E: Chelsea, Schalke, Basel, Steaua Bucharest
Group F: Arsenal, Marseille, Borussia Dortmund, Napoli
Group G: Porto, Atletico Madrid, Zenit St Petersburg, Austria Vienna
Group H: Barcelona, AC Milan, Ajax, Celtic

United, City & Chelsea should all qualify comfortably. Arsenal have got a pretty damn tough group, could squeak through in second and Celtic have just been given the ultimate burial group.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Utd always get piss easy groups.

Must of paid off UEFA.

Can't see us beating Dortmund. Marseille are shit so we'll at least get third, depends on the matches vs Napoli, who have bought good players so dunno.

Doink

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Arsenal and Celtic are going to buried. Wouldn't mind being a Celtic fan though with trips to Amsterdam, Barcelona and Milan.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Mourinho is a pathetic manager, Chelsea bought like 10 attacking players this summer yet barely got out their own box.

Bayern's keeper was playing as a CM ffs.

Anyway back to important things, like us putting Spurs in their place yet again on Sunday.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Does anybody here actually watch any European football other than the Premier League? Just wondering what peoples opinions were on Christian Eriksen who Tottenham has just signed for £11.5m. Like everytime I heard his name mentioned he was always held in high regards and is supposed to be quite the talent and i'm just surprised that if he is as good as he's made out to be, why the hell did he go for little to no money at all as simplistic as that sounds.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Does anybody here actually watch any European football other than the Premier League? Just wondering what peoples opinions were on Christian Eriksen who Tottenham has just signed for £11.5m. Like everytime I heard his name mentioned he was always held in high regards and is supposed to be quite the talent and i'm just surprised that if he is as good as he's made out to be, why the hell did he go for little to no money at all as simplistic as that sounds.

Didn't you watch the games against Man City last season where him and Boeerigter (who signed for Celtic) tore them apart?

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Nah I generally don't watch any football outside of England. I just find it odd that a guy who is supposedly as talented as he is only went for that much and why Man Utd who have been hopelessly attempting to get a CM all summer didn't end up snapping him up.

Doink

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns

I watch most football when it is on, I have all the channels so sometimes I watch a bit of Dutch/Russian/Spanish/German or Italian. Eriksen is a fantastic player, very skilful with a lot of flair and his passing is amazing, the only reason he was sold for £11 million is that his contract was expiring at the end of the season.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I still think all this buying could come back to bite Tottenham, even if every single one of those players turn out to be fantastic you still have to fit them into the squad/team and not everyone can adapt to the English League. They have strength in depth now but still need to produce a consistent team.

City really struggled in the early game against Hull the two nil score line doesn't reflect the match. Hull have impressed me so far this season, good work rate, decent manager and some solid pros. Still think they will go down due to lack of fire power but at least they have a decent basis to work on.

Another good away win for QPR against Leeds, its trips like that which could define their season.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
I feel the same way. I imagine it'll take time for all those players to settle in, with some maybe not living up to their potential at all. That's why I'm pretty confident going into tomorrows match. Arsenal have players who are all used to the North London Derby, Spurs will have a lot that won't.

Man City were awful today. I honestly can't recall them having any good chances apart from those two goals. Hull City TIGERS played well, and really should have gotten at least one goal. I know it's still early on in the season, but Man City are looking less and less like title contenders. They really play like such a soulless team at times.

CGS

Reaction score
Im damn near certain all this spending will come round to bite Spurs in the arse. Its all well and good having depth but they have way to much depth. No way is AVB gonna be able to fit all those guys in consistently. On top of that its WC year so everyone is gonna wanna get serious game time and if they ain't it will certainly cause a lot of hostility in the locker room.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Im damn near certain all this spending will come round to bite Spurs in the arse. Its all well and good having depth but they have way to much depth. No way is AVB gonna be able to fit all those guys in consistently. On top of that its WC year so everyone is gonna wanna get serious game time and if they ain't it will certainly cause a lot of hostility in the locker room.
I've been saying for the past few years that I can see some sort of horrible irony happening to Arsenal when they either finally splash and cash and land some top, top players or win a trophy, that's when they'll drop out of the top 4.

As far as all these Spurs signings go, I know the names but I know next to nothing about them so will be interesting to see how they shape up and contribute as a whole team because there's no doubt they've bought plenty of quality, it's just whether or not they're going to be able to gel and such and spread the load that Bale carried last season.