Official Football Discussion Thread 2013/14

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
You've never won the Premiership.

We have.

Liverpool were in a relegation battle for half of Dalglish's most recent spell :lol:

Reaction score
\o/... "Have" 4th place these days sunshine!

Also, football didn't start in 92 :)... Mind you, Liverpool have won the Uefa Cup and The Champions League during the Premier League era, Arsenal have reached the finals once?

Still done better in Europe :D! As for relegation battle, anything below 5th for you is a relegation battle...

Hell finishing 12 points above 8th place WBA is mid-table :D...

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Last time we was title contenders was 08/09... Finished 4 points behind Utd...

Ummm yeah, I was totally not born then o_O!!!!

Also, if Arsenal are title contenders by being 18, 11, 12 and 19 points off the pace since Liverpool finished second that second, then fuck me... You guys are brilliant title contenders.... Your average off the pace is roughly 15 odd points and that's the past four seasons... While Liverpool have been 4 points off the pace once, still better than Arsenal, oh and we have a trophy :L.

I can go back further :D but I'm sure you got some good excuses ;D.

Go back a season earlier and Arsenal finished 4 points off the top as well. Go back even further than that and you're reaching Arsenal's golden years, where we were challenging (and sometimes winning) the league. So... yeah, please do go back further if you feel the need to.

I don't want to go into a debate about Arsenal being title challengers over the past couple of years because we haven't (bar 09/10 where we were for most of the season), but to actually argue that you've been better than us in that time span is laughable to be honest. It'd be like me or you having the same kind of debate with a Man Utd fan, there's simply no point. This isn't even an argument.

Reaction score
I don't want to go into a debate about Arsenal being title challengers over the past couple of years because we haven't (bar 09/10 where we were for most of the season), but to actually argue that you've been better than us in that time span is laughable to be honest. It'd be like me or you having the same kind of debate with a Man Utd fan, there's simply no point. This isn't even an argument.

I was trying to make more of a point, Liverpool were closer to contending for the title in recent times than Arsenal. Mainly because Cork is giving all the other Arsenal fans bad rap.

Imo, Liverpool and Arsenal are equal this season, both will be fighting for 4th, 5th and 6th place with Spurs.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
I was trying to make more of a point, Liverpool were closer to contending for the title in recent times than Arsenal. Mainly because Cork is giving all the other Arsenal fans bad rap.

Imo, Liverpool and Arsenal are equal this season, both will be fighting for 4th, 5th and 6th place with Spurs.

Fair enough, I see what you're trying to say. You just kind of drifted off at times to argue about European and Premier League success over the years, which I felt the need to respond to.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Why anyone even bothers responding to The Cork in here I have no idea, he throws the bait out every single time and you just bite.

Just a word of warning, anymore of this Arsenal vs. Liverpool dribble that serves absolutely no purpose other than an attempt at trolling one another and you'll be infracted or removed from the thread.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Much better weekend this time in the PL than last week.

Cardiff's upset of Man City today just shows what an unpredictable and exciting league it can be on its day. A result like that even this early should give Cardiff a great boost. They are the more likely of the three newly promoted sides to stay up imo. Just think they might have a strong home record, mind you because of the experience of Bruce and some of their signings Hull may have a chance too.

Even the 0-0 between Everton and West Brom was pretty entertaining some nice meaty tackles too.

Yesterday's performance was Villa's weakest of the three so far our best moment was Benteke's half volley in the second half which was very well saved by the keeper, he's looking a really good signing for them. Always felt that if Liverpool got the first it would be tough, they are one of the best in the league at closing down games away from home. Still a lot of positives from a tough first week of the season for us and some of the new signings are looking promising too. Newcastle at home next that should be a home banker they beat us last season but both clubs were in very different moods then.

Great few days for Arsenal and they played some excellent football and Fulham and won more easily than I expected, they have also managed to spread the goals around the team too. Whether they can produce it in the bigger game is another matter.

I kind of suspect that tomorrow's Man Utd-Chelsea game might be a bit of a late down it just feels like an early season game which won't mean much in the great scheme of things and where both will be happy with a point.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I can see Chelsea thrashing them tbh.

They have put together a huge squad full of quality while Man U are a one man team.

Also lol at Man City. Cardiff made some great signings, expect them to finish top half.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
I'm still laughing at the idea of Arsenal being the third most successful club in Britain.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
I lol'ed at City losing to Cardiff, didn't see that coming.

Willian agreeing to join Chelsea is an interesting choice too, because they already have Mata, Oscar, Moses, Hazard, Schurrle, Van Ginkel & Kevin De Bruyne, all who can play the attacking midfielder/winger role that Chelsea play with. Mata's being continuously linked with a move away from Chelsea, he didn't play on the opening day against Hull, but got 65 mins against Villa on Wednesday. He's now being linked with a loan move to Atletico Madrid, despite Mourinho saying he's not for sale, but with the addition of Willian, I think that might change and he'll leave before the transfer window closes.

He'd be a great signing for us, but they won't sell him to us, because we've rejected 2 bids from them already for Wayne Rooney.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I'm still laughing at the idea of Arsenal being the third most successful club in Britain.

Historically they are. In recent years Chelsea have been far more successful, but before the Ambremiovich era (yeah I know I have no idea how to spell it and can't be bothered to look it up!) they were considered more often than not a mid-table club who sometimes flirted with relegation.

I think it would be senseless for Chelsea to sell Mata he could walk into any top class side in the world and could play a big part in them winning the title if he stayed. Think they should go for one big name striker and than conclude their business for this window.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
They may be the third most successful English team, but he said British

Scottish League titles count for less, it's pub team standard and you have no competition.

It should be shut down tbh as it could be classed as Celtic having a monopoly on the Champs League place. Look at how Hibs made Malmo look like Barcelona, only for Swansea to make them look like Grimsby.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Scottish League titles count for less, it's pub team standard and you have no competition.

It should be shut down tbh as it could be classed as Celtic having a monopoly on the Champs League place. Look at how Hibs made Malmo look like Barcelona, only for Swansea to make them look like Grimsby.

Agreed, apart from the shut down part, rebuilt is the term I would use lol.

Ozymandias

Reaction score

I was thinking more of the European Cup.