Official 2014 wrestling challenge

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Chaos (Yano Toru & Iluzuka) vs TMDK (Shane Haste and Mikey Nichols) Pro Wrestling NOAH
Rating: 3
Comment: This was an okay match. Started as an outside of the ring brawl, then turned into a standard Japan tag match with both teams taking turns dominating. End came with some typical Yano hijinks on the side.

Stop's spot count: 17

Stopspot

Reaction score
Shawn Michaels vs Razor Ramon ladder match for the IC belt, Wrestlemania 10
Rating: 4
Comment: This was the first time I watched this match. And personally I felt it lived up to the hype. Shawn is Shawn and while Razor isn't as good a technical guy as Shawn, he knows how to put together a math better than most cats out there. Well structured match that had the crowd on their feet. I enjoyed this.

Stop's spot count: 18

Roi

Champion
Reaction score
Match: Kaitlyn vs AJ

Promotion: WWE

Show: Main Event 1/8/14

Rating: *1/2

Kaitlyn’s last match in the WWE (Pretty sure she will come back). Thought the WWE would give the match some more importance and time. It barely hit the 10 minutes mark. The match itself was generic divas match. The were some moments where it looked like “They had respect for each other” as I was expecting that this match would end the AJ/Kaitlyn feud. Thought AJ would break kayfabe at the end of the match (Kinda did with the hug). AJ won via roll up to make Kaitlyn look “good”. Sad news but I think this isn’t the last time we’re seeing Kaitlyn inside a WWE Ring. Btw, AJ is going to become the longest divas champion ever. Kudos to her.

Match:Zack Ryder vs Dolph Ziggler (Us Title)
Show: TLC 2011
Rating: 3.8

Anyone thought this two would put on an awesome match. Not because of the wrestlers but because of the small amount of time/built they usually give to the US Title, but they did. Zack Ryder was red hot at the time. Big pop for him. Two very athletic wrestlers that showed us the opening match can be as good as a main event. The only difference is the fact this match was given around 10 minutes and the main event usually lasts 30.

The match was really dynamic, both men showed what they’re capable of. Vickie Guerrero is a huge heat magnet, she will always help getting the heel the hate he needs. At this point of Dolph’s career, Ziggler needed Vickie to get booed by the crowd. You just need to see the heat she got when the ref made her return to the locker room.

The match lacked of insane spots (It was for the US Title, not for the WWE title) but both wrestlers took great bumps. The way Ziggler sold Ryder’s finisher was crazy.

The greatest match in Ryder’s career and one of the greatest in Ziggler’s one

Match: The Big Show vs Floyd Mayweather
Show: Wrestlemania 24
Rating: *

Dont ask how I ended up watching this match.
So, “boxing against wrestling”. Vince trying to get buys from the guys who like boxing and the wrestler you choose to “represent” your company is The Big Show? Yeah, Floyd looks like a dwarf but come on..All Floyd did was a weak sleeper hold. Very very slow match. A couple of shots to the head and some heel work from Floyd. That's it.

Didn’t like the match at all.

Match Counter: 6

Pop Tatari

Christian vieri
Reaction score
Match: Tag team titles-The Eliminators vs Dudleys(c)
Promotion: ECW
Event: Barely Legal 1997
Rating: 3.5
Review: This is the first match of the first ever ECW ppv. Dudleys come out first and the crowd our giving them a hard time. Devon gets the mic and talks trash to them. Eliminators come out and enter the ring and the Dudleys duck out. Eliminators face the crowd with their backs turned away from the champs,moments later the Dudleys sneak up from behind and take advantage with various double team moves. After that Eliminators gain advantage and the rest of the match is one way traffic. Eliminators pull out some great moves various kicks and high flying moves. For those who are not familiar with them they consisted of Johnny Kronos and Perry Saturn. Totally different style from Saturn of which he is most Known for. He does a nice springboard moonsualt. Kronos does a nice handstand type dive to the outside. The challengers get the win with the cool Total Elimination move. Fans were pleased with the result. Fun opener

Pop Tart match count: .9

Shadie T

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
elgenerico
Favorite Wrestler
claudiocastagnoli
Favorite Wrestler
joeyryan
Match: Bryan Danielson Vs Spanky
Promotion: ROH/NJPW
Show: Best Of The US Super Jr's
Rating: 4.2
In Depth: Very, very good match. It was fantastic opener, the pacing was a bit odd but everything was done perfect and fluent.

Adam's Match Counter: 8

Last edited:

Roi

Champion
Reaction score
Wrestle Kingdom 8

Match: IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title- 4WAY Match. The Young Bucks vs KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley vs TAKA Michinoku & Taichi vs Forever Hooligans
Promotion: NJPW
Show: WM8

*** ½

Very fun match to start Wrestle Kingdom. Personally, I find Taka and Taichi pretty hilarious. There were some fun spots and a lot of tag team moves. Fast paced match with hot moves and nonstop action. The double superplex to the outside was great. Everyone got their signatures moves in. Great match. Glad The Young Bucks retained.

Match: Special Singles Match- Hirooki Goto Return Match: Hirooki Goto vs Katsuyori Shibata

Researched a little bit about the feud this two had so I knew what I was getting into. Pretty good match. Shibata focusing on that jaw. Some “I’m not gonna sell” moments. Good storytelling, great way to end the match. The Feud is over as they helped each other to the back.

**** ¼

Match: Ibushi vs Devitt

Loved the match. That entrance…. At first I was kinda annoyed by the bullet club. I just wanted to see a clean 1 vs 1. The fact the match would be just kicking the hell out of Ibushi when the ref wasn’t looking was so..so..WWE. For me the best part of the match was when ringside was cleared. Awesome transitions, high flying spots ..a great match that ended by Ibushi hitting the Phoenix Splash.

Match: IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito

**** ½

The crowd was split which is always good. It was a very physical match. The DDT off the apron was a good spot. Naito used some nasty headbutts and missed his Stardust Press.

Okada just focused on the Rainmaker. The last 5 minutes of the match were really good. Okada hit two tombstones piledrivers followed by the Rainmaker to finish the match. Amazing closing Stretch.

Match Counter 10

Reactions: Bort

Shadie T

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
elgenerico
Favorite Wrestler
claudiocastagnoli
Favorite Wrestler
joeyryan
Match: Johnny Gargano Vs Rich Swann
Promotion: Dragon Gate USA
Show: Bushido 2013
Rating: 3.5
In Depth: Very solid bout, I like Rich Swann a lot, him and Ricochet are two of my favourites in the indy scene right now and it confuses me why Gabe picked AR Fox over them and others for the Evolve Champ, if he wanted a high flyer he has better options. Anyway, Rich made the challenge leading into some lovely chain at the start and Rich got into his high flying stuff, the match itself was brutal telling the story of their feud with brutal strikes looking as real as it gets, everything hit the good spot and a good ending putting over Gargano as a heel and a lovely fan calling the ref an idiot. Very enjoyable bout.

Adam's Match Counter: 9

Stopspot

Reaction score
Trent Barretta (c) vs Anthony Nese for the FIP world championship. Evolve 25
Rating: 3.7
Comment: Opening match of the show, and probably the best match I've seen Trent have since he left WWE. Nese is on fire and I predict he is going to take up a lot of space on the indy scene in the coming year.

Stop's spot counter: 19

Last edited:

Roi

Champion
Reaction score
Match: Kazuchika Okada vs Kota Ibushi
Show: DDT 8-18-2013

Match Rating: 4

My two favorite Japanese wrestlers going one on one? This can only be great.

Both men put on a good show. Okada “mocking” his opponent, Ibushi going for the RainMaker or the dive to the ringside were some cool spots. So bad they botched that hurricane from the top rope (I believe it was Ibushi’s fault). The crowd was into it. They loved both wrestlers. The end was pretty cool (The way Okada got Ibushi to hit that Piledriver reminded me of Taker vs Michaels at WM25).

Great Match. Loved it.

Match: Lesnar Vs Rob Van Dam 23.02.02
Show: King of the Ring

Match Rating: 2

A young Lesnar would become the king of the ring by defeating RVD in the finals of the tournament. Short match, Lesnar dominated. When it seemed like RVD was gaining momentum Lesnar reversed a crossbody into a F5. 1…2…3.

Match Counter: 12

THG?

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Match: Brodie Lee vs. Sami Callihan vs. Rich Swann vs. PAC
Promotion: 2CW
Rating: 3.4
Comment: This was the first glimpse of indy wrestling I ever saw about last year, so I still remember this vividly. Had some really cool spots, PAC and Swann's high flying exchanges were awesome, and even Lee and Callihan brought out their fast side in this match. Really nice 10 minute match. I think PAC got the win.....

Match counter: 7.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Chuck Taylor vs Lince Dorado vs John Davis vs Caleb Konley vs Uhaa Nation. Fray for the Freedom Gate title match at Evolve 27. Evolve 25.
Rating: 3
Comment: This was a fun outing. Not too much to comment on, all guys brought what was expected off them to the table. Lince has evolved a lot since last I saw him. Spent most of the match waiting for a cat has nine lives pun in regards to Lince and was not disappointed. Uhaa winning was a good call. He's a dude in WWN that can be much more.

Stop's spot counter: 20

Last edited:

Shadie T

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
elgenerico
Favorite Wrestler
claudiocastagnoli
Favorite Wrestler
joeyryan
Match: Ryan Taylor Vs Joey Ryan
Promotion: PWG
Show: Failure To Communicate
Rating: 2.5
In Depth: First time seeing Ryan, he was good, really impressed me. It was a good enough match, nothing special but didn't expect that coming into this bout.

Adam's Magical Match Counter: 10

Shadie T

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
elgenerico
Favorite Wrestler
claudiocastagnoli
Favorite Wrestler
joeyryan
Match: Ricochet Vs Elgin Vs Steen For The PWG Championship
Promotion: PWG
Show: Failure To Communicate
Rating: 3.8
In Depth: Great match, very fast, very high flying, action packed fun. Ricochet is my favourite flyer in wrestling and he amazed me once again. Elgin was good and Steen was too, Steen seemed pretty motivated in this making me miss when he was like that, the package piledriver onto Elgin was awesome. Really good match.

Adam's Masterful Match Counter: 11

Shadie T

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
elgenerico
Favorite Wrestler
claudiocastagnoli
Favorite Wrestler
joeyryan
Match: Adam Cole Vs Kyle O'Reilly Hybrid Rules
Promotion: ROH
Show: Best In The World
Rating: 4
In Depth: Fucking brutal, "YOU PIECE OF SHIT!" - Kevin Kelly, that explains Kyle in this match, he played the heel very well, the match itself was brilliant, Cole had his teeth knocked out jesus, it seemed more of a MMA fight than a wrestling match but thats what the rules imply so it what I expected, I really enjoyed this bout, storytelling was there, aggression and charisma was there, the wrestling was there and the brawling was there, the slap after the match and the flipping off of the crowd by Kyle was sick, favourite match I have seen of his, @RainMaker should watch this one.

Adam's Match Counter: 12

Reactions: Roi

Shadie T

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
elgenerico
Favorite Wrestler
claudiocastagnoli
Favorite Wrestler
joeyryan
Also some people need to get started on this.