Obama calls out to "Gay brothers"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Obama Gay Rights Mention In Inaugural Speech - Business Insider

I don't know much about the USA, my knowledge on politics is limited to my own country, and I must say that while Gandhi is heralded in the west as an angel of egalitarianism, there are many myths and realities about the man that western audiences are blissfully unaware of. Is this the same case with Obama or is he the real deal? I see all these articles on magazines and newspapers with the entire cover and headline pages (respectively) devoted to him.

So, discuss.

Last edited:

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
It was one speech.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
historic first mention of gay rights in his inauguration speech today.

Obama's bold pronouncement comes in a year during which the Supreme Court is scheduled to decide on two high-profile cases involving gay marriage.

Just thought it was worth mentioning. It's all over the internet and on other places.

It was one speech.

...yeah. I know. I just always find it tough to accept most politicians blindly and completely for some reason.

Last edited:

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango
I think Obama has been pro gay rights for a very long time. I don't follow politics enough to really know about anything else he stands for but as long as he's pro human rights, I'm all for it.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
Obama is hailed as a Messiah and held up as some sort of deity in the press. Don't believe the hype, if you are from a foreign country.

He's done nothing but divide our country, and it's only getting worse.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Don't believe the hype

....exactly my point. The basis of friendship is reciprocity, and all politicians have done (at least here, is plunder the nation repeatedly. True acceptance, love and commitment is the one thing they seem to be incapable off) No offense if he has any supporters on here, but I'll maintain my commitment to healthy skepticism.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Obama isn't dividing anything partisan politics is dividing and everyone whose getting "hurt feelings" when their side doesn't win. I'm not pro or anti Obama but stupid shit like succession because the guy you wanted to win didn't is beyond Blue. He's basically Kennedy he speaks eloquently and gets over on TV.

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango
Yeah he nowhere near being hailed as a messiah. He's done some pretty shitty things as well like how they can legally detain anyone for no real reason or proof just because. He wasn't the best choice for president but as far as this gay right thing goes, he's doing good for equality even if its just covering up his other faults.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
2 words are dividing our country, Republican and Democrat, and if you are lashing out at anything the other side does purely because it comes from the other side, than you are only fueling the fire and dividing us further... the problem with any politician from either side is they have basically no choice but to do the things their campaign contributors want done and it goes for both sides... party nominations are bought, not won and until that changes there are a select few who will continue to, in reality, run this country and divide it further no matter who they hand pick to be president

Reactions: 1 person

Ozymandias

Reaction score
Obama is not a messiah, or an angel or any other ridiculous quasi-religious statement like that, he's simply a politician. And like every other politician the thing most important to him are his principles which he views as most important for his country and the principles of his party (second one less so as political parties aren't as important in the US as they are in say, the UK or Germany).

What Obama is, is an excellent politician. Now I'm not saying that I agree with everything he's done, there's A LOT that I have a problem with *cough* *cough* DRONE STIKES *cough*, but he has done a lot of good, speaking out in support of the gay community has been one of them (although I understand that this may be more due to pressure from Michelle - and possibly even the girls - than his own personal mission). Acknowledging someone is an excellent politician doesn't mean you saying you support them, it just means you acknowledge that they're adept at playing the political game. The master of politics was a guy called Machiavelli, but he's not viewed as a hero, if you describe someone as being 'Machiavellian' is means being cunning. All excellent politicians have to be cunning.

All that being said I do like Obama. He has an almost impossible job given the American political system and the general hostility toward him and the Democrats by the GOP which seems so fractured and... angry at the moment that it's going to hold the rest of the country back while it sorts itself out. However he's just a man, and he's a man that is more than capable of making bad, sometimes dreadful decisions. There's a lot of truth in Primetime's comparison with Kennedy.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Re: Obama calls out to "Gay brothers"

He has an almost impossible job given the American political system

That, is very, very, very true. I know it's easy being a nobody in the public and passing judgement on superiors, the job on the other hand is probably a nightmare.

I know being called a "Machiavellian" is not an insult at all, it's kind of ironic and paradoxical because it is that very quality that makes me loathe politicians (i.e constantly suspect them). Obviously if you don't have that innate/inborn cunning, then politics is the WRONG profession for you...so yeah.

It's just that I always have a propensity to suspect people who posit an "egalitarian" view of the world. Everybody is NOT made equal. (This might be tainted by my own bias because the "democratic" party in my country is filled with a bunch of douchebags.) This is not directed at Obama, but these people posit an "egalitarian" view....for the gratification of their own needs.

All excellent politicians have to be cunning.

Yeah......yeah they do.

Being called an "American" is such a unique identity, I'm kind of (combination of) awestruck/confused/bemused looking in from the outside.

I just thought I'd post this because it was all over some other places I go to....7% of the population graduate from my country. I've been a part of discussions where people were questioning others on whether Obama was the "antichrist". That's right, they actually they used the word "antichrist." I don't know. Don't ask me.

He's basically Kennedy

CULT OF PERSONALITY

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Obama isn't dividing anything partisan politics is dividing and everyone whose getting "hurt feelings" when their side doesn't win. I'm not pro or anti Obama but stupid shit like succession because the guy you wanted to win didn't is beyond Blue. He's basically Kennedy he speaks eloquently and gets over on TV.
Yeah uhhh NO ONE wants to succeed from the US :argh:

I support what he's doing for gay rights and I fully admit that it's something the Republicans have ass backwards. I hope it finally just legalized everywhere so the homos will stop with their flamboyant gay pride protests, settle down, and go on about their normal lives because it's a seriously ridiculous situation. And it's only escalated to the extent it has because there are leaders in this country bound by the morals of a book of fairy tales and it's so stupid it's embarrassing to be an American sometimes.

I don't much care for many other things Obama has done (or "NOT done" would be a better way of putting it), particularly his taking credit for many things Bush put into place, or his hypocrisy (particularly deploying more troops overseas and claiming he "stopped a war"), and most of all launching drone strikes against countries we aren't even at war with. I don't agree with his healthcare plan either since all it basically does is make people who work and earn their health benefits pay for the healthcare of those who don't work at all, which is fucking stupid beyond belief.

But in pertains to this topic, good on him and I hope he's successful with it. It's definitely good politics to allow gay marriage and makes sense economically as well. It's good that any spouse regardless of gender will be entitled to shared benefits of marriage and mythology shouldn't be an excuse to not do what makes sense for the country. It's good politics too because not all Republicans are opposed to gay marriage either and it will definitely help the Democrat Party's cause in 2016 when Obama's successor is up for nomination. If he managed to get this to work, then there will finally be something positive I can give the guy complete credit for.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah he nowhere near being hailed as a messiah. .

Don't think so, huh?

BA5fuj6CQAAvSE9.jpeg

newsweek-cover-gay-e1336924222492.jpg

obama.36.jpg

[video=youtube;wSP_i9MI9NU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSP_i9MI9NU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

This is just a taste.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Second coming? Least it isn't the anti-christ.

First gay president was obviously Reagan btw.

Ryan

Reaction score
I think the comparisons to Kennedy are a bit extreme. If you're talking about the cult of personality, then I agree, but Kennedy was a different class of politician. I feel that politicians were a lot more transparent 30-40 years ago. I'm not saying he didn't have his faults, he certainly did, but he was dealing with a lot more than Obama is right now. The civil rights movement is easily the biggest social movement this country has ever seen and if it's not the biggest, it's second only to the labor movement and JFK HAD to deal with that. Will I say he was a crusader for civil rights? No, because the simple fact is that he wasn't. Then again, neither was Lincoln. Both men would've been fine with maintaining the status quo of their respective time periods if complete social unrest and/or war didn't force action. That's not strictly relevant though. All that matters is what they did when push came to shove. Lincoln is still the greatest president we've ever seen and JFK is still gunning for the top 10 if he isn't already in it. History will always remember JFK as a president of pretty significant consequence, but aside from being the first black president, I just don't see Obama doing anything that will go down in the history books, at least not yet. Maybe the next four years will prove me wrong. I hope they do because I certainly want a better four years than the four we just saw.

I would say that Obama is certainly viewed as something of a Messiah on the left though and is unbelievably charismatic. I'll even admit, as a conservative, to occasionally being amused by the less political things Obama has to say. I'd also say that the African American community hails him as a Messiah. I mean, I don't really blame them - he is, after all, the first black president - but I've seen recent interviews where minorities are already saying that Obama is going to edge out the likes of Lincoln and Washington as the greatest president of all time. That's simply not going to happen. That's part of the problem though; he's causing serious division in this country. I feel like the racial divide is as high as it's been since the civil rights movement in this country, and I'm not alone in that feeling. There have been numerous polls that have corroborated what I'm saying right now. I also feel like the political divide is as high as it's ever been as well. Conservatives feel that Obama is just looking to make the USA a welfare state and liberals feel that conservatives are just being a bit too old fashion and inflexible on the issues. I mean I am mainly conservative: I feel that the welfare and assistance programs are out of control in this country, but I also feel like sometimes we just need to compromise because sometimes doing nothing is far worse. Ultimately, we should just abolish the whole two party system as far as I'm concerned because it doesn't allow for someone who is a bit more in the middle to be president, but that will never happen. I believe that similar to how westerners view Ghandi and Nelson Mandela as these great heroes when we only hear about the great things they achieved and maybe not about some of their shortcomings, foreigners don't really get to hear about all of Obama's shortcomings.