NXT - Weekly TV Show Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Very fun show. Enjoyed pretty much everything. ME was kinda weak, especially when compared to what (I guess) we're gonna get next week and the week after.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
THIS WEEK ON ROH TV:

- Emma vs Shazza was a fine show opener.
I liked it and it did a nice job in showing how aggressive Emma can be. It's most likely to set her up for a loss to Asuka, but that's fine by me.

- We get the recap of James Storm's debut last week.

- The NXT title is on the line, as Bálor vs Crews is advertised for next week's ME. We get a replay of the video package that was shown before Bálor's title match in Japan against KO.

- Jason Jordan & Chad Gable vs Tommaso Ciampa & Johnny Gargano was very good, I enjoyed the hell out of it.
The guys that are READY, WILLING & GABLE are so over and this felt like a fresh match-up and was the best NXT tag match in recent memory.
After a really fun match, the Grand Amplitude secured the win for Jordan and Gable.

- Bayley is interviewed by Devin (I miss you!) about Alexa's comments as of late. Bayley says she doesn't know where Alexa is coming from. But, she loves being a role model and someone fans can look up to. Bayley says Alexa has a different side to her now that she's hanging with the boys, but Bayley's stayed true to herself, she's the NXT Women's champion and that's exactly where she's gonna stay.

- Eva Marie speaks from Paris again. Please, just stay there.

- Nia Jax vs Kay Lee Ray was your typical squash to get Nia over, it was okay, and Nia's attire looked better than last week's one.
She still needs to change it, though. Not really diggin' this Ascension-esque attire.

- We get a recap of how Enzo stole the win for his team the last time Certified G's faced The Mechanics. Enzo goes through his opening promo, but The Mechanics ambush them. Cass is sent knee first into the LED board, and The Mechanics work over his knee in the ring. Wilder comes off the second rope with a stomp, as Dawson has Big Cass' legs hooked, and Wilder lands directly onto the left knee of Big Cass and Cass is selling the injury like a MF.

- Tom Phillips is backstage with BAMF. Alexa asked for this air time (and calls Tom a 'human mic stand' LOL) and she said she talked to Regal, and Regal loved her idea. Alexa challenged Bayley to a six-person tag match and wished Bayley good luck finding two 'losers' to join her against her and her boys.

- "Who is Apollo Crews? Part 2" video package is aired. Just like Part 1, I liked this, as well.

- Samoa Joe vs Tyler Breeze was a rock solid ME. This was most likely Prince Pretty's send-off match, and my only gripe is that it should've lasted longer. Joe tapped Breeze out to the Kokina Clutch.

- Backstage interview with Finn Bálor closes this week's episode. The NXT champion is excited to be facing Apollo Crews. Finn says that Crews is the real deal, having beaten Joe, Breeze and Corbin. But, he hasn't beaten Finn Bálor. He says Apollo Crews will become NXT Champion someday, but not next week.

That's all, folks!

This week's episode was the best non-TakeOver show in months. Keep it up, NXT.

Reactions: Snowman1

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
THIS WEEK ON ROH TV:

- Emma vs Shazza was a fine show opener.
I liked it and it did a nice job in showing how aggressive Emma can be. It's most likely to set her up for a loss to Asuka, but that's fine by me.

- We get the recap of James Storm's debut last week.

- The NXT title is on the line, as Bálor vs Crews is advertised for next week's ME. We get a replay of the video package that was shown before Bálor's title match in Japan against KO.

- Jason Jordan & Chad Gable vs Tommaso Ciampa & Johnny Gargano was very good, I enjoyed the hell out of it.
The guys that are READY, WILLING & GABLE are so over and this felt like a fresh match-up and was the best NXT tag match in recent memory.
After a really fun match, the Grand Amplitude secured the win for Jordan and Gable.

- Bayley is interviewed by Devin (I miss you!) about Alexa's comments as of late. Bayley says she doesn't know where Alexa is coming from. But, she loves being a role model and someone fans can look up to. Bayley says Alexa has a different side to her now that she's hanging with the boys, but Bayley's stayed true to herself, she's the NXT Women's champion and that's exactly where she's gonna stay.

- Eva Marie speaks from Paris again. Please, just stay there.

- Nia Jax vs Kay Lee Ray was your typical squash to get Nia over, it was okay, and Nia's attire looked better than last week's one.
She still needs to change it, though. Not really diggin' this Ascension-esque attire.

- We get a recap of how Enzo stole the win for his team the last time Certified G's faced The Mechanics. Enzo goes through his opening promo, but The Mechanics ambush them. Cass is sent knee first into the LED board, and The Mechanics work over his knee in the ring. Wilder comes off the second rope with a stomp, as Dawson has Big Cass' legs hooked, and Wilder lands directly onto the left knee of Big Cass and Cass is selling the injury like a MF.

- Tom Phillips is backstage with BAMF. Alexa asked for this air time (and calls Tom a 'human mic stand' LOL) and she said she talked to Regal, and Regal loved her idea. Alexa challenged Bayley to a six-person tag match and wished Bayley good luck finding two 'losers' to join her against her and her boys.

- "Who is Apollo Crews? Part 2" video package is aired. Just like Part 1, I liked this, as well.

- Samoa Joe vs Tyler Breeze was a rock solid ME. This was most likely Prince Pretty's send-off match, and my only gripe is that it should've lasted longer. Joe tapped Breeze out to the Kokina Clutch.

- Backstage interview with Finn Bálor closes this week's episode. The NXT champion is excited to be facing Apollo Crews. Finn says that Crews is the real deal, having beaten Joe, Breeze and Corbin. But, he hasn't beaten Finn Bálor. He says Apollo Crews will become NXT Champion someday, but not next week.

That's all, folks!

This week's episode was the best non-TakeOver show in months. Keep it up, NXT.

At the end of this week's episode, all I can think when watching the final promo with Devin and Balor was, after Balor looked over and Devin just disappeared never to be seen again, that he just walked down the hallways looking down as somber music played in the background... all around me are familiar places, worn out faces... before the prince lays down and holds a picture of Devin like the Wolverine meme.

A fitting end to the Devin Taylor era, if there ever was a way to write her off in a poetic way for you, Prince Balor, that's it... *sniff, sniff*

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
At the end of this week's episode, all I can think when watching the final promo with Devin and Balor was, after Balor looked over and Devin just disappeared never to be seen again, that he just walked down the hallways looking down as somber music played in the background... all around me are familiar places, worn out faces... before the prince lays down and holds a picture of Devin like the Wolverine meme.

A fitting end to the Devin Taylor era, if there ever was a way to write her off in a poetic way for you, Prince Balor, that's it... *sniff, sniff*

Now that she's gone, a part of me is gone, too!

Snowman1

Reaction score
200.gif

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the match between Balor and Crews tonight. I sort of already knew what happened because although I do not read spoilers ever, I accidentally came across some for this. But the match itself was excellent and it wasn't marred by the DQ finish either. So many more match ups got set up and I look forward to most of them.

Reactions: Prince Bálor

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
THIS WEEK ON NXT TV:

- The opening video package hypes the main event, by focusing on Apollo Crews and his rise to the NXT title shot.

- Asuka vs Cameron was a fun squash. Cameron seems to have improved a bit and sold Asuka's offense really well.
That armbar Asuka applied when Cameron tried to slap her was some boss-level stuff. I mean, Asuka killed Cameron with kicks and palm strikes, it was fun! Asuka landed 3 spinning backfists and followed it up with a spinkick! Asuka then dragged Cameron around, locked in the Asuka Lock and Girl-Bye, Cameron!

- Carmella gave us a medical update regarding Big Cass, he has a sprained MCL and will be out a while.
Then, The Mechanics interrupted and gloated about what they did last week. Carmella called them George Constanza and Danny DeVitto! :lol1:
She also said they better watch their backs 'cause her boys will be coming after them once they're back. Carmella then walked off and The Mechanics talked about how they have a Tag Team title match with The Vaudevillians next week. They roll in a wheelchair and tell Tom to give it to The Vaudevillians because they'll need it after next week.

- Jordan & Gable cut a hilariously good backstage promo. Gable called themselves the WORLD'S GREATEST TAG TEAM (Yes, I got that reference!) and Jordan tells him not to say that. Gable admits it's his bad. Jordan wants them to challenge arguably the greatest tag team in NXT history, but Gable says they can't wrestle themselves! :lol1: Man, I love these two! Anyways, Jordan says they should fight the most dominant and the longest reigning NXT Tag Team Champions in history, The Ascenscion. Gable agrees, so The Ascension should come back if they are READY, WILLING AND GABLE!

- Bull Dempsey vs Angelo Dawkins was a generic squash. There wasn't much to it. But hey, at least Bull's entertaining now.

- Tom Phillips is backstage with The Vaudevillians and brings them the wheelchair The Mechanics left for them. Aiden says they know what they did to Enzo and Cass and it wasn't pretty, but neither was their own climb to the tag titles. They plan on adding their names to the pantheon of NXT greats when they beat The Mechanics next week. Simon says what The Mechanics do (easy wins), works for them. But, being gentlemen has worked out well for The Vaudevillians and they'll maintain their status as NXT Tag Champions.

- Apollo's shown sitting in the locker room. He then stood up and looked over at the NXT Championship that was hanging on Finn's locker.

- Tom Phillips is standing by Bayley and her partners are revealed, it's The Hype Bros!

- Eva Marie vs Marley (Giona Daddio) was horrible.
I must say, Marley's impressed me more with little to no offense than Eva Marie has in her entire run with the company.

- Emma and Dana were backstage with Tom, and Tom asked Emma if she's scared of Asuka. Emma said no. Asuka actually has her utmost respect, but she just doesn't like Asuka smiling at her. Dana said she respects Asuka, too, but she didn't appreciate the way Asuka patted her on the head... It was childish. [Hello! You're doing it, too, blondie!] Dana wants another shot at Asuka someday, but Emma says she'll have to wait her turn because she will give Asuka a proper welcome to NXT!

- Finn Bálor vs Apollo Crews was a really good ME! I enjoyed it, despite the DQ finish.
That finish actually protects both guys, so I can't complain. I had three possible scenarios for the ending of this match:
First one being, Bálor turns heel and gets himself DQ'd and retains the title. The second one being, Bálor turns heel and forms the Bálor Club stable.
His babyface mask is finally off. And once Hideo is back, he will reveal it was Finn behind the parking lot assault. And well, the third scenario did happen, Joe turned on Finn. Angry Joe is fun Joe, actually. So, this shall be a fun feud!

This week's show felt quick and easy to watch, it featured a lot of backstage promos and segments, but it was all for storyline development, so all's cool.

Snowman1

Reaction score
Two "Holy Shit" moments on one episode of NXT? Whoa! I couldn't believe I could yell that twice - involuntary - on any wrestling show anymore.

The first was that insane boss counter into that armbar from Asuka, good grief this woman. :lol1: But I always expect something different out of Asuka matches, idk. Expect dominance, get comedy, usually will rewind and watch a second time and really enjoy them though. GIRL DIE

The second was... damn, that finish. Balor vs Crews was AWESOME!!! Excellent match, I was on the edge of my seat!... actually, I'll go a step further and say it was better than any match on Hell in a Cell. BOOM.
And the finish, I didn't see coming, and it's done so rarely on NXT that it feels less like "shitty writing" and actually got some heat on Corbin. Fun stuff, then the post match attack I popped HUGE for. This is gonna be so great, you guys. SO great.

As for the rest of the show... Bayley finally found a situation where she seemed like the LESS dorky person in it. :facepalm1: Booo! Eva Marie was completely outclassed by a jobber, and while I really, really want to get behind Eva, she keeps making it harder on me. The entire NXT tag team division is full of dynamic, entertaining characters now, at least until the Ascension come back and add some blandness to this pile of wonderfulness. I'll sit through 5 Eva Marie segments just to see Gable hit a Chaos Theory Suplex on Konnor. Dash and Dawson remind me way more of the Crew than they should, yeah Emma you certainly are going to show Asuka who's boss aren't you... :please: and wow emotionally wrecked Dana should be a thing now lol. She misses Devin too. :( And wow can just try different lighting and give a big match that already has a big match feel 10x more of that big match feel. This felt like the start of Brock and Taker

Love you NXT. Now we can just get Lucha Underground back and I'll be enjoying wrestling more than ever

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Two "Holy Shit" moments on one episode of NXT? Whoa! I couldn't believe I could yell that twice - involuntary - on any wrestling show anymore.

The first was that insane boss counter into that armbar from Asuka, good grief this woman. :lol1: But I always expect something different out of Asuka matches, idk. Expect dominance, get comedy, usually will rewind and watch a second time and really enjoy them though. GIRL DIE

The second was... damn, that finish. Balor vs Crews was AWESOME!!! Excellent match, I was on the edge of my seat!... actually, I'll go a step further and say it was better than any match on Hell in a Cell. BOOM.
And the finish, I didn't see coming, and it's done so rarely on NXT that it feels less like "shitty writing" and actually got some heat on Corbin. Fun stuff, then the post match attack I popped HUGE for. This is gonna be so great, you guys. SO great.

As for the rest of the show... Bayley finally found a situation where she seemed like the LESS dorky person in it. :facepalm1: Booo! Eva Marie was completely outclassed by a jobber, and while I really, really want to get behind Eva, she keeps making it harder on me. The entire NXT tag team division is full of dynamic, entertaining characters now, at least until the Ascension come back and add some blandness to this pile of wonderfulness. I'll sit through 5 Eva Marie segments just to see Gable hit a Chaos Theory Suplex on Konnor. Dash and Dawson remind me way more of the Crew than they should, yeah Emma you certainly are going to show Asuka who's boss aren't you... :please: and wow emotionally wrecked Dana should be a thing now lol. She misses Devin too. :( And wow can just try different lighting and give a big match that already has a big match feel 10x more of that big match feel. This felt like the start of Brock and Taker

Love you NXT. Now we can just get Lucha Underground back and I'll be enjoying wrestling more than ever

Asuka is a beautiful serial killer.

JORDAN & GABLE RULE THE FUCKING WORLD!

As far as that Bálor/Crews match goes, I, too have enjoyed the hell out of it.

"And the finish, I didn't see coming, and it's done so rarely on NXT that it feels less like "shitty writing" and actually got some heat on Corbin. Fun stuff, then the post match attack I popped HUGE for. This is gonna be so great, you guys. SO great."
- The reason that ending to the ME didn't feel like "shitty writing" is because, unlike the main roster, NXT doesn't spam the fuck out of it on a weekly basis. It was done to protect both Bálor and Crews and to set up some new programs.

Love you, NXT!

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
THIS WEEK ON NXT TV:

- Sadd Bikerwolf vs Tye Dillinger never happened, 'cause Apollo Crews attacked Corbin and then Corbin fled to the back.
The fans gave Crews a really good reaction and this feud shall be interesting. There are two possible outcomes. With that being said, the WWE could give Corbin that last push, which will put him straight in the main event scene, or Mr. Apollo Crews could become yet another superstar to leap over Corbin. I'd prefer the latter, honestly.

- Bayley & The Hype Bros vs BAMF was a fine match.
The crowd was hot for it and the absolute highlight was Bayley nailing Murphy with the Bayley-to-Belly. I marked out.
Oh, and Alexa ran off with Bayley's title, which inevitably set up a title match next week. It's fairly obvious Alexa won't be winning that one.

- The Ascension cut a hilarious promo accepting the challenge from the World's Greatest Tag Team Jason Jordan and Chad Gable.

- Nia Jax is strolling down the hall, when Eva Marie comes up to her. They move away from the cameras to talk in private. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was anything, but entertaining.

- Apollo Crews cut a backstage promo where he promised to break Corbin for denying him his dream of becoming the NXT champion.
It was good, short and intense.

- Nia Jax vs Deonna was a fine squash. Besides that attire, she also needs to ditch the crazy person smile when she pins her opponents.
However, I look forward to seeing her go against an experienced wrestler.

- Footage of The Mechanics defeating The Vaudevillains during the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic is shown.

- Bayley caught Alexa taking pictures with her women's title backstage. Alexa ran off, but Nia Jax stopped Bayley before she could leave.
Alexa attacked Bayley from behind, but Nia scared her off, before staring at the belt and then handing it back to Bayley and walking away.

- The Mechanics vs The Vaudevillains was solid.
The Mechanics targeted the knee of Aiden English and that's how the match ended, ultimately.
Aiden tapped out after having his knee destroyed by Wilder stomping on it from the second rope and then Dawson applied an Inverted Figure-Four which made English tap and we have NEW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS! Hopefully Dawson and Wilder's run as champs isn't as uneventful as The Vaudevillains'. I love The Vaudevillains, but I feel like their run was wasted.

- The Mechanics cut a promo backstage about how they are the best tag team on the planet.

- Samoa Joe came out to explain his actions from last week. He said we are defined by two things, the choices we make and the actions we put behind them. Finn asked Joe to be his partner in the Dusty Classic. Joe accepted, then carried him through the tournament, which they won.
Joe reminds everyone that he asked the champ for a title shot, and Finn did agree, but put no action behind it. Finn didn't speak up when Regal booked the Battle Royal, which was insulting to Joe. Joe was owed, but more importantly, entitled to an NXT Championship match simply for being who he is. Bálor then appeared to confront Joe, and it all ended badly for the champ, as Joe locked in the Coquina Clutch in the middle of the ring and left him unconscious.

This week's episode was entertaining. Keep it up, NXT! :)

Snowman1

Reaction score
Gotta say, I'm digging the Mechanics. They really remind me of the Crew. They do everything well and nothing flashy or impressive so they make the perfect base for OH LOOK AT ANGELICO WHAT THE HEYUL.
Jordan and Gable, who do everything flashy and impressive, are going to make awesome champs. Just weird to see how the NXT tag titles have never truly had an impressive titleholder though lol