NXT - Weekly TV Show Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
-LOL at Eva's botched kickout being an angle now. The rib of her getting the foot on the ropes but the camera missing it was genius! Expected this to be a big thing about a crooked referee - thankfully it wasn't. :)

But, I've gotta give the devil her due... no, not that one, Carmella seems to be going to the early days of NXT school of "Stop trying to do signature spots and just brawl around and you'll come off a lot better". It worked for Camacho and Jinder Mahal and made them come across as decent workers and it's doing the same for Carmella, who's adding more of the Enzo character in the ring and...

-Speaking of working wonders for a guy.. Maybe Bull Dempsey can try the same thing? How do you have a shitty match with Prince Effing Pretty, geez.

NXT's in a weird spot. There's a lot of little angles I really like, like the frustrated/bored Tyler Breeze arguing with Regal and wanting a shot and not caring about silly matches with scrubs like Dempsey, and now getting shoved down the card against Crews after looking past Liger... As the one NXT guy who's the "glass ceiling" victim that we see on Raw, it's actually part of his character. I love that! Problem is, it's a lot of little story quirks like that that's making the show enjoyable but no real sizzle right now.

Yeah Prince that's what I thought to. Just wanted to hear "ba-da-da-da trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble... TROUBLE!!!" from the eerie voice in the darkness... I already reviewed Asuka's debut, but when walking down the ring I couldn't help but remember the Kharma viginettes with the sick laughter behind the torn-up doll. Can't wait for Nia Jax to show up!

Please show some of these damn tourney matches! I love the freshness of seeing them try new things, and this "cutaway to the broadcast booth" seems like a winner. :) Please bring Kyle Edwards to Raw!

Two Dudes' rematch against the Vaudeheroes was a pretty good match, I guess

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
This week on NXT TV:

- Kyle Edwards welcomes us in a studio for an update regarding the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic Tournament.
We see footage of Gable & Jordan advancing by beating the Hype Bros, as well as The Mechanics advancing to the semi-finals.
It's Gable & Jordan vs Rhyno & Corbin and Bálor & Joe vs The Mechanics at TakeOver: Respect.

- Bálor & Joe vs Enzo & Cass was a decent show opener. It was just too short, lasting about 4 minutes, which is a crime, to really be anything good.
Bálor & Joe advanced to the semi-finals when Joe hit a Musclebuster, followed by Bálor's Coup de Grâce on Enzo.
On a side note, Bálor debuted a new intro for his tune and a new tron saying Bálor Club Worldwide.
Despite that logo being ugly, the jacket and the new tron help distinct him from 'The Demon' Bálor.

- Gargano & Ciampa cut a backstage promo, saying they're disappointed in their NXT experience thus far and they thought they would've done better. Gargano is facing his pal tonight, Apollo Crews. However, Breeze interrupts and complains about how Gargano and Ciampa cost him the tourney and as a result, Breeze will face Ciampa tonight.

- Asuka vignette is aired, with footage of her time in Japan.

- Apollo Crews vs Johnny Gargano was a fun little match. Crews won his Gorilla Press-Standing Moonsault combo.

- Dana and Emma are in Regal's office and Regal announced Dana vs Asuka at TakeOver. Oh, joy!

- A Nia Jax vignette is aired.

- Asuka is shown hitting a heavy bag. I assume this was the video Regal showed to Dana and Emma. Well, that didn't look intimidating, honestly.

- The Awful One and Emma vs Billie Kay & Peyton Royce was meh, boring.

- JJ & Gable are interviewed backstage, but The Mechanics interrupted. The four argued into a commercial break, as Devin walked off.
Hoping for a JJ & Gable victory at TakeOver, though, but I won't mind any team winning except for Rhyno/Corbin.

- Breeze vs Ciampa was decent. Prince Pretty won with Unprettier.

- Rhyno & Corbin cut a backstage promo saying we're looking at the winners of the tourney. Meh.

- The entire TakeOver: Respect card is run down.

- A video package and final thoughts are aired to hype the Ironwoman match at TakeOver.

The TakeOver: Respect go-home ep was ehh, underwhelming. But the show itself will be good. So, all's cool, I guess!

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
I can't describe how much I love these two. The Ironwoman match at TO: Respect is gonna tear the house down!
tumblr_nviwhkYPnJ1tzogbdo1_1280.png

tumblr_nviwhkYPnJ1tzogbdo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nviwhkYPnJ1tzogbdo3_1280.png

tumblr_nviwhkYPnJ1tzogbdo4_1280.jpg

Reactions: Snowman1

Snowman1

Reaction score
That's odd. I really, really liked this show. May try to do a review but it'll take 10,000 words :haha:

Takeover: Respect seemed like it was made JUST as a reward to the women to give them a Takeover main event, but they've done an incredible job building this. Great job, NXT!

Majour

Filthy Creep
Reaction score
Takeover: Respect seemed like it was made JUST as a reward to the women to give them a Takeover main event, but they've done an incredible job building this. Great job, NXT!

I'll be honest, at this point I'll probably only watch the main event of takeover.

Snowman1

Reaction score
Really?

With the Dusty Classic it's more about fresh matchups and wondering how the heel turn will come across, I suppose. Have heard Dash and Dawson have been killing it on the house show scene, but we'll see
I'm almost worried about how well Asuka vs Dana will come across. Expecting a Mortal Kombat-style fatality here and won't settle for anything less! YOU DEAD DANA
Crews vs Breeze, it'll be fun to see Crews in his first "real" match, and frustrated loser Breeze vs young upstart Crews has interesting possibilities. Breeze at Takeover is always quality
and of course Bayley vs Sasha. Mmm-hmm.

By the way Prince, I read that 10 minutes were cut out of the Metapowers vs Certified G's match, but you missed the standard heat segment where Joe and Finn just beat on Enzo forever. I sure am not complaining about that! Plus they did it because "they came across very heelish".

also Dawson holding up his little towel and yelling "I DID IT FIRST" = buys. Please let these two beat Team Boring, watching them celebrate a fluke win in the finals sounds like fun :lol1:

Majour

Filthy Creep
Reaction score
@Snowman I just haven't had the time to be invested in everything in NXT, but the last women's title match was so good that I can't miss this one.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Really?

With the Dusty Classic it's more about fresh matchups and wondering how the heel turn will come across, I suppose. Have heard Dash and Dawson have been killing it on the house show scene, but we'll see
I'm almost worried about how well Asuka vs Dana will come across. Expecting a Mortal Kombat-style fatality here and won't settle for anything less! YOU DEAD DANA
Crews vs Breeze, it'll be fun to see Crews in his first "real" match, and frustrated loser Breeze vs young upstart Crews has interesting possibilities. Breeze at Takeover is always quality
and of course Bayley vs Sasha. Mmm-hmm.

By the way Prince, I read that 10 minutes were cut out of the Metapowers vs Certified G's match, but you missed the standard heat segment where Joe and Finn just beat on Enzo forever. I sure am not complaining about that! Plus they did it because "they came across very heelish".

also Dawson holding up his little towel and yelling "I DID IT FIRST" = buys. Please let these two beat Team Boring, watching them celebrate a fluke win in the finals sounds like fun :lol1:
Last week's episode was very fun, but there was a bit I really didn't like. When Regal showed the girls that laptop footage you could picture Asuka killing some chick and ripping her head off or something, you know, we could imagine her doing some actually badass stuff. Then we come back from break and she's punching a bag :steve:

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
This week on NXT TV:

- The show kicks off with a Bayley celebration. She's greeted with 'MATCH OF THE YEAR' chants. She talks about NXT making history at TO: Respect and doing it for Dusty. Then, 'YOU DESERVE IT' chants start. She puts over women's wrestling till Alexa Bliss, accompanied by Blake and Murphy, interrupted. Alexa gave Bayley a beautiful congratulations, putting her over, raising Bayley's arm only to snatch the Women's title and then hide behind Blake and Murphy. Alexa said that she didn't write 'letters to myself when I was 10 years old', but still wants the Women's title. Alexa said it will be easy to take it from Bayley before throwing the title back to her and leaving... Good opening segment. I liked it.

- A WWE.com exclusive featuring the winners of the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic tournament, Bálor and Joe Balor is aired.
Bálor and Joe celebrated their win and Joe asked for a title shot. The NXT champ accepted, but Regal said it isn't quite that easy.
Because Regal's already booked a battle royal for tonight's main event. The winner will be the #1 contender.

- Tye Dillinger, Apollo Crews and Rhyno cut short backstage promos about the 23-man battle royal.

- The Vaudevillains vs Dawkins & Fulton was a fine squash match. The tag champs won via Whirling Dervish.

- The Mechanics cut a backstage promo (You'll be missed, Devin!) claiming they're the deserving #1 contenders for the NXT tag titles and rightfully so!

- Highlights from Asuka's debut are shown, followed by footage of Dana getting checked on by a medic while Emma stands over her.
Asuka comes over, pats Dana on the head and stares at Emma. Dana is so confused that she thinks she beat Asuka. :lol1:

- Nia Jax vs Evie was a fine squash match. It served its purpose, making Nia Jax look dominant in her debut and Evie sold well for her.

- Breeze and Corbin cut short promos regarding tonight's main event. They both say they're gonna win the battle royal.

- Eva Marie is in Paris and she has a special message for us, letting us know that she needs some 'me' time after her 'grueling matches' in NXT. What a comedian.

- The #1 contender's Battle Royal was a solid ME. The first half was kind of boring, 'cause everyone involved was just standing around.
But, I liked the second half. Joe, Breeze, Crews and Corbin were the last 4 as expected. Breeze got eliminated by Joe, [the crowd turning on Joe was head-scratching], but then Corbin tried to eliminate Joe, who managed to hang on, but Breeze pulled him down [much to the crowd's delight] and probably setting up another loss down the road. Crews and Corbin were the last two standing and Crews won after delivering 3 Enzuigiris and a Clothesline to determine the #1 contender for the NXT championship.

All in all, this episode was a decent follow-up to TO: Respect.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Outside of the opening promo and Evie showing up (first New Zealander since the Bushwackers to work a WWE ring) this episode was nothing to call home about

Stopspot

Reaction score
Also it seems like the NXT crowd have decided that Breeze's run as gatekeeper needs to end and it's time to push him to the belt.
Let's see if the pencil responds.

Snowman1

Reaction score
Usual good episode

Think the reception the Vaudevillians got - and how fresh it felt to see them again - when they killed two dudes says a lot compared to watching the Dudleys kill two dudes on Raw

Really, really interesting to see Crews as #1 contender. Love it.

Everything's new. Everything's fresh.

also LOL at Eva Marie's promo. Please, make her Chick Bo Dallas.

Last edited:

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
THIS WEEK ON NXT TV:

- We get a video recap of Apollo Crews winning the #1 Contender's Battle Royal last week.

- Asuka vs Billie Kay was a fine show opener.
Billie got a Superstars-like insert promo about facing Asuka in the past and that she has the longest legs in NXT. Well, that's a character, I guess.
This was serviceable, as it got BK over as a heel and allowed her to showcase some of her stuff, so she wasn't just enhancement talent here.
Ultimately, Asuka turned it around and kicked her arse, and won with Asuka Lock.

- Tyler Breeze cut a selfie promo on Samoa Joe. "I'll be more than happy to slice off a couple pieces of bacon off ya." :lol1:

- Enzo & Cass vs The Mechanics was more of an extended angle than a match, and it was OK for what it was.
Enzo won with a Small Package, but The Mechanics attacked both Enzo & Cass after the match. Hope it leads to a feud.

- We don't miss you, Eva! Please, stay in Paris.

- James Storm vs Danny Burch was exactly what it needed to be. James Storm showing his stuff, and he got a great reaction.
Storm won with an 8 Second Ride and I marked out when he shouted SORRY ABOUT YOUR DAMN LUCK at the end. Diggin' his theme song, too!

- A special, in-depth look at Apollo Crews is aired. It featured footage from his indy days, growing up, as well as how he discovered wrestling.
That was awesome and I loved it! Part 2 is coming next week. This mini-doc was similar to what Bálor got heading into Beast In The East special.
I guess Apollo will be the new face of NXT soon. I don't see him winning the NXT title match 2 weeks from now, but still.

- Alexa Bliss vs Peyton Royce was another fine match. Peyton did her job extremely well and I'm diggin' Alexa's heel persona.
Alexa won with a Glitz Flip-Sparkle Splash combo.

- Sadd Bikerwolf vs Rhyno was a boring ME. Baron Borebin won with the End of Days.

- Samoa Joe closed the show with a good promo on Tyler Breeze, and called him a desperate man.
Joe wants Breeze to use that selfie stick again and take a picture and look the best he can, 'cause when he's done with him next week, he will never look the same again. It wouldn't surprise me if that turned out to be Breeze's send-off.

It was a fine episode this week.

Stopspot

Reaction score
This episode was only just okay. It got storylines moving, but nothing was breathtaking.