NXT - Weekly TV Show Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
N....X....T.....

Nothing particularly groundbreaking/hilarious/worth writing paragraphs over this week, but a few small notes..

-There's two AMAZING things about the NXT ring style on display here. I LOVED watching Carmella vs Alexa, because these two have given us some total trash in the past. Lots of it. These two chicks are really unreliable in the ring and they went out there and had arguably the best match in both of their careers. Carmella especially is really getting to the point where they actually have something with her as she isn't coming across heelish at all anymore and did some insanely athletic stuff here. Bliss held up her end in the ring as well - and those double knees were devastating! - and after sitting through some of the garbage we've seen on this DEVELOPMENTAL show, watching these two develop into a couple of solid workers is SO enjoyable. Loved this.

-La Sombra is simply bringing nothing to the table so far. Shame he came around 3 years too late, when the roster was pretty down he would have been HUGE back when people thought the Wade Barretts of the world would be future stars.
Not having any sort of storyline is really hurting (call it Apollo Crews syndrome) as well, not just this but...

-Nak and Finn had a couple of terrible interviews where they said absolutely nothing to promote dream wrestling matches for the sake of dream wrestling matches. It'll come, and it'll be great, but just show a graphic or something lol

-NXT TAG WRESTLING IS STILL THE BEST THING, and I love that we have a division with depth. With a bunch of quality teams doing interesting stuff, and also the Hype Bros.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prince Bálor

SWAGSUKE

The Artiste
Banned
Reaction score
N....X....T.....

Nothing particularly groundbreaking/hilarious/worth writing paragraphs over this week, but a few small notes..

-There's two AMAZING things about the NXT ring style on display here. I LOVED watching Carmella vs Alexa, because these two have given us some total trash in the past. Lots of it. These two chicks are really unreliable in the ring and they went out there and had arguably the best match in both of their careers. Carmella especially is really getting to the point where they actually have something with her as she isn't coming across heelish at all anymore and did some insanely athletic stuff here. Bliss held up her end in the ring as well - and those double knees were devastating! - and after sitting through some of the garbage we've seen on this DEVELOPMENTAL show, watching these two develop into a couple of solid workers is SO enjoyable. Loved this.

-La Sombra is simply bringing nothing to the table so far. Shame he came around 3 years too late, when the roster was pretty down he would have been HUGE back when people thought the Wade Barretts of the world would be future stars.
Not having any sort of storyline is really hurting (call it Apollo Crews syndrome) as well, not just this but...

-Nak and Finn had a couple of terrible interviews where they said absolutely nothing to promote dream wrestling matches for the sake of dream wrestling matches. It'll come, and it'll be great, but just show a graphic or something lol

-NXT TAG WRESTLING IS STILL THE BEST THING, and I love that we have a division with depth. With a bunch of quality teams doing interesting stuff, and also the Hype Bros.

I had a different read on the show. Finn and Nakamura's promos were great for me. I got a nice shoot/work insight into their friendship, and the longest promo they've had out of Nakamura so far. I really enjoy the way Nakamura words things. He chooses very specific words when he's speaking English. His natural style extends to that.

Reactions: Snowman1

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
This week's episode was good!

Bayley vs Alexa was a good opener.

TM61's video package was good, as well as The Revival's backstage promo.

Rhyno came back and cleaned house to a pop. Thank you for not allowing that Hype Bros/Blake & Murphy match to go any further, Rhyno! Although, I can't say I didn't LOL when Blake and Murphy got into an argument and then Mojo was like "Hey!", but then B&M were like "Shut up!"

The Naka/Finn video package was good.

The Revival vs American Alpha was a great ME, I loved it. These two teams never disappoint and delivered another great match.

SWAGSUKE

The Artiste
Banned
Reaction score
I've seen all of American Alpha and Revival's TV matches and had the distinct pleasure of seeing them at NXT Portland. Each time they go out they expand and riff off of their previous matches. The ring psychology is PhD level in there. Tag team wrestling has been REVIVED for sure.

That 2/3 Falls Match last night was next level. The double anklelocks oh my goddddd!

Snowman1

Reaction score
I had a different read on the show. Finn and Nakamura's promos were great for me. I got a nice shoot/work insight into their friendship, and the longest promo they've had out of Nakamura so far. I really enjoy the way Nakamura words things. He chooses very specific words when he's speaking English. His natural style extends to that.

We can definitely agree to disagree on that! Can't complain about people liking stuff. :)

If you're a big believer in the old wrestling adage of "it's not what you say, it's how you say it" Nakamura's the MAN. I love how even though he kinda struggles with english he always finds a way to get something entertaining out of everything he does, knows what to say to get a big pop, what poses and when... Master in that.

Reactions: SWAGSUKE

leojay

Champion
Reaction score
The Revival are a great tag team, the best mechanics in all of wrestling. American Alpha are good and all and they come off as legit stars, but The Revival make them look like a million bucks when they work together.

Bring them all up onto the main roster together, I don't care if it kills the NXT Tag Scene. Showcase their bouts on the main roster, it'll do American Alpha a world of good.

SWAGSUKE

The Artiste
Banned
Reaction score
We can definitely agree to disagree on that! Can't complain about people liking stuff. :)

If you're a big believer in the old wrestling adage of "it's not what you say, it's how you say it" Nakamura's the MAN. I love how even though he kinda struggles with english he always finds a way to get something entertaining out of everything he does, knows what to say to get a big pop, what poses and when... Master in that.

I'm just glad we're getting past this old school mentality where you can only get over if you're basically a charismatic European or American guy. Asian representation in our USA product has been SORELY lacking. I need more than Lawler making awful racist comments about Funaki or Taka. I want Japanese wrestlers treated with the respect befitting of each performer's merits.

Nakamura's getting that chance. He doesn't need to speak English like Americans do. His whole mystique is partly wrapped up in his strong Japanese cultural ties blended with the swaggy Michael Jackson / Freddie Mercury influence. I love hearing his accent. It's new. It's not another Alex Riley generic vanilla jock douchebag cutting shit promos.

:xavier2:

Snowman1

Reaction score
Nak vs Finn, CWC, Ultima Lucha Dos part Dos all tonight, after apparently a decent Raw and a pretty great Impact...

So can we be positive about wrestling now?

Reactions: Prince Bálor

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Without revealing anything to anyone who has not watched it yet, I just got done watching Nakamura vs Balor and I have to say I am extremely disappointed in the match. I mean it wasn't a bad match, but it wasn't a good match either. It was just sort of "there." These two are capable of putting on something much better than this.

And wow, Rhyno looks awful.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Nakamura vs Bálor was far from a bad match. What prevented this match from being GREAT were the commercials and Naka's lackadaisical selling of the knee.

Other than that, I liked it. They worked some good drama and near falls. Speaking of near falls, I'm glad they didn't go overboard with 'em. Nakamura won, which is the right call, obviously. Post-match, they shook hands and bowed to each other as it seems Finn is really done with NXT and is passing the torch to Nakamura.

Sooo, Bálor as a draft pick on Tuesday? One can only hope.

And last, but not least, Joe's promo in the opener was really good.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Nakamura vs Bálor was far from a bad match.

This will have to be one of those rare times where we disagree. Although it wasn't bad, I couldn't agree it was far from being bad. Considering what these two guys are capable of, I could almost consider it bad.

Much like Shinsuke's match at Takeover: The End,.it seemed like he phoned in the match. And I'm a huge fan of Balor but his surprised expressions throughout the match seemed over exaggerated.

I dunno. I just know those two could have put on a much? better match and I was disappointed.