NXT - Weekly TV Show Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
This will have to be one of those rare times where we disagree. Although it wasn't bad, I couldn't agree it was far from being bad. Considering what these two guys are capable of, I could almost consider it bad.

Much like Shinsuke's match at Takeover: The End,.it seemed like he phoned in the match. And I'm a huge fan of Balor but his surprised expressions throughout the match seemed over exaggerated.

I dunno. I just know those two could have put on a much? better match and I was disappointed.

I think I would've been disappointed in Naka/Finn if it was a TakeOver match. Otherwise, I think it was a tad bit better than their NJPW match.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Without revealing anything to anyone who has not watched it yet, I just got done watching Nakamura vs Balor and I have to say I am extremely disappointed in the match. I mean it wasn't a bad match, but it wasn't a good match either. It was just sort of "there." These two are capable of putting on something much better than this.

And wow, Rhyno looks awful.

You mean... *sigh* It's not a good match, it's not a bad match... not even going "there".

WWE's biggest enemy is expectations. Whenever they build up something BIG, it almost always disappoints. Call it Roadblock syndrome. Or as you say, Nak's match with Aries which was "fine", I thought, but other people seemed to love. Idk.

I was of two minds about it as well. I LOVED the story in the middle. After the Good Vibrations and so much of Nakamura's offense being so showboaty, Finn just had enough and went OFF on him. That springing stomp to the knee looked devastating, the surfboard spot and so much of his innovative knee based offense made Balor look more sadistic than almost any character I've seen in NA pro wrestling in a long time. Nakamura around this time was KILLING IT with counters. I can watch his enziguris and armbars all day, it just feels like he isn't athletic enough to be able to do that stuff then HUZZAH...

then Nak just used the bad leg Kinshasa anyway. I thought that was a big deal with them signing NJPW guys, it's one thing to watch Dean Ambrose no-sell broken necks after 3 days but this is NAKAMURA. Realistic long-term selling is all about NJPW lol

Then... to use another random example, I remembered watching Trevor Lee vs Tigre Uno from TNA early this year, when Tigre jumped off the top of the cage with a HUGE splash... then Lee kicked out and Matthews went ballistic on commentary, and the whole time I just wasn't interested since there's no way that this dude jumping off the top of the cell was going to actually pin someone (see also: The Mack with that unbelievably insane balcony dive before the finish of Cage slipping on beer). It just hurt the drama, and I kinda lost interest with that reverse Bloody Sunday which wasn't going to pick up a win but treated like this huge deal. When they started trading big moves it became a Kurt Angle match and... Nak won with a really nice Boma Ye (don't wanna type that again) combo.

Idk. With all the hype surrounding it it should have been better, but after 3 weeks of build and being shouted at about how this will be the greatest thing ever, it kinda clouds your judgment of what was probably a pretty good match. Props to both guys, especially Balor (who still sucks. :tough:)

Also I saved this quote:
"You say you're the King of Strong Style, well if that's the case then I'm the emperor, and if you try to grab my crown I'll leave you broken on a heap of all those who came before you!"

:yay:

I think the NXT Championship has become the standardbearer for "The champion makes the title". Joe is the best. His greatness is trying to bring the title to his level and the title is juuuuust able to reach his shoulders, haha.
Oh and Rhyno was there too

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
You mean... *sigh* It's not a good match, it's not a bad match... not even going "there".

WWE's biggest enemy is expectations. Whenever they build up something BIG, it almost always disappoints. Call it Roadblock syndrome. Or as you say, Nak's match with Aries which was "fine", I thought, but other people seemed to love. Idk.

I was of two minds about it as well. I LOVED the story in the middle. After the Good Vibrations and so much of Nakamura's offense being so showboaty, Finn just had enough and went OFF on him. That springing stomp to the knee looked devastating, the surfboard spot and so much of his innovative knee based offense made Balor look more sadistic than almost any character I've seen in NA pro wrestling in a long time. Nakamura around this time was KILLING IT with counters. I can watch his enziguris and armbars all day, it just feels like he isn't athletic enough to be able to do that stuff then HUZZAH...

then Nak just used the bad leg Kinshasa anyway. I thought that was a big deal with them signing NJPW guys, it's one thing to watch Dean Ambrose no-sell broken necks after 3 days but this is NAKAMURA. Realistic long-term selling is all about NJPW lol

Then... to use another random example, I remembered watching Trevor Lee vs Tigre Uno from TNA early this year, when Tigre jumped off the top of the cage with a HUGE splash... then Lee kicked out and Matthews went ballistic on commentary, and the whole time I just wasn't interested since there's no way that this dude jumping off the top of the cell was going to actually pin someone (see also: The Mack with that unbelievably insane balcony dive before the finish of Cage slipping on beer). It just hurt the drama, and I kinda lost interest with that reverse Bloody Sunday which wasn't going to pick up a win but treated like this huge deal. When they started trading big moves it became a Kurt Angle match and... Nak won with a really nice Boma Ye (don't wanna type that again) combo.

Idk. With all the hype surrounding it it should have been better, but after 3 weeks of build and being shouted at about how this will be the greatest thing ever, it kinda clouds your judgment of what was probably a pretty good match. Props to both guys, especially Balor (who still sucks. :tough:)

Also I saved this quote:
"You say you're the King of Strong Style, well if that's the case then I'm the emperor, and if you try to grab my crown I'll leave you broken on a heap of all those who came before you!"

:yay:

I think the NXT Championship has become the standardbearer for "The champion makes the title". Joe is the best. His greatness is trying to bring the title to his level and the title is juuuuust able to reach his shoulders, haha.
Oh and Rhyno was there too

Well in regards to the 3 weeks of build clouding my judgment, I didn't have that. I had actually gotten way behind in NXT and hadn't watched since Takeover The End... not because of non interest but only because I've been really freaking busy and been a bit overwhelmed with the amount of wrestling out there.

So, I decided to get caught up Monday night after Raw and that was the first time I had heard about the match. So I was eager to see it, but I hadn't been dreaming about it for weeks.

I do tend to have bigger expectations for weekly NXT matches but that's because there is only like 4 Takeovers a year. They can't do all their big matches on their Super cards like the main roster can. So it's expected that they'll have those sort of matches and that might raise my expectations I suppose.

But aside from all of that, I don't think my disappointment has anything to do with expectations. There are plenty of matches that I've had higher expectations for and for a longer time and still loved the match. Sami Zayn and Nakamura for example... or Tanahashi vs Okada in January... as a complete Okada mark, I was drooling over this even though these two have wrestled 10000000 times and it's STILL my choice for match of the year.

I really think the only thing that tainted this match for me was that I honestly think it under delivered. It wasn't the sort of effort I expect from either guy. It was just kinda there. I dunno.

Snowman1

Reaction score
Well the tag was more about the lame good match/bad match thing, but I'm sure none of us really dreamed about it... But hey, we almost all agree it was a pretty good match!

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
This week's episode was rock solid.

Joe vs Rhyno was a solid hoss battle. I couldn't really buy into Rhyno as a real threat to Joe, but hey, this wasn't bad. Fine TV match and Joe continues to be a dominant champ.

The Authors of Pain vs American Alpha was good. AA were selling their asses off for those two behemoths, while also looking good in defeat. Thank you, Alpha! See you on the main roster next week!

The Revival's promo was good. I love those guys.

Aries vs Clark was an OK squash. The post-match stuff adds to the build for the TakeOver match with No Way Jose, so yeah, fine stuff.

Bayley vs Nia Jax was a solid ME. Loved the finish.

All in all, a rock solid episode with zero bad stuff/wasted segments.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
This week's show was good and easy to watch.

- Nakamura vs Blake was a fun opener. Naka's squash matches continue to be fun. I love that man. This was awesome:
tumblr_ob00c9w9nC1u1ljrzo3_500.gif

tumblr_ob00c9w9nC1u1ljrzo2_500.gif

tumblr_ob00c9w9nC1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

- Billie Kay vs Santana Garrett was decent. Like both gals and they should definitely play a big part of the women's division in the future.

- The TM61 squash was fun. I continue to like 'em more and more with each week passing by. Next tag team champs, baybay!

- Woo, Hideo Itami in action next week!

- No Way Jose vs Steve Cutler was an OK squash. It served its purpose of showing Jose can get serious. Post-match he said he's gonna whoop Aries' ass.

- Ibushi vs Murphy was a lot of fun. Seeing Ibushi is always awesome, I marked.

- BOBBY ROOO next week, baybay!

- Joe/Regal/Nakamura stuff was a'ight. Looking forward to :joe: vs :nakamura: at TakeOver: Brooklyn.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Good episode this week.

- Itami vs Maluta was a fine show opener. Good to see Hideo back and good to see him win via Busaiku Knee.

- Mojo vs Atkins never happened as Joe came down to the ring and beat 'em up. Thank you, Joe!

- Asuka vs Aliyah was a fun squash. Good character work by Asuka here, loved it.

- Looking forward to Ember Moon's debut at TakeOver!

- GLORIOUS! Bobby Roode's promo was good.

- The Revival vs TM61 was a solid ME. The post-match stuff was good.

Snowman1

Reaction score
...it's crazy.

Bobby Roode is almost the prototypical WWE guy. He can draw heat without a pencil, he's a look guy who can draw you to the other guy so easily with his personality, but his wrestling... he's perfectly fine in a technical sense, but he's closer to Miz than Rollins. Therefore I was worried about him debuting on NXT among the 30 other people on this show who're all like "Look at me, I'm a dude who was cool elsewhere, now I'm here!" and having a squash match and just bombing. I mean, I guess that worked for Storm but Cowboy's got more moves to get over. Even throughout his GLORIOUS 2012 TNA run I'm not even sure what his finisher was, haha. Anyway Roode's the perfect guy to come in right now and bring something different to the roster.

but no. He came out in a suit, and talked. About NXT. And how it's the place to be. And after TWO MINUTES I was the angriest I've been since watching the fucking Pussies in Leather running around the Impact Zone. grrrrr I have literally heard this same damn promo so many times. I'm a guy who was cool elsewhere! Now I'm here! Yeah! And we cheered. Because ROOOOOOOODE >>>>>> you and you damn well know it... but as the promo went on, even the sheep in Full Sail in Orlando, Florida started to really get bored with this spiel, and because 2016 people barely noticed how it became how NXT needs Bobby Roode, and we were one step away from what chants when... bam.

Holy balls I marked out so hard for that swerve. That couldn't have possibly been more perfect!

This wasn't just a really good promo, this was an all-time great one. This is one that makes you consider what good mic skills really are. He just grabbed ahold of our emotions in the palm of his hand, without us even knowing it, and ripped our hearts out of our chests, and hummed "Glooooorious... something something victooooorious..." Hell, I loved listening to Seth berate Balor and the local sports teams on Monday and after this he comes across like... well... Tyler Black (SHUT UP). and this was so far better than AJ and Cena on Smackdown which Prince Balor and I can happily debate :p

Wrestling should never be emotionless. Remembered the old phrase of "Pringles match" I used to use, meaning we just sat back in our chairs munching on Pringles and mumbled "Yeah, good action". Same with "He's got solid mic skills!" It's so much better to be throwing that can of Pringles at the TV as Roode starts talking about "replacing every single one of you"... then singing his awesome theme song :yay:

POKEMON CAN FUCK OFF.
That's all

But but... The Revival were able to defeat Pikachu and Charmander because they're ground types! :yay:

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Good episode this week with absolutely nothing bad in it. The show just flew by.

- The Asuka/Bayley contract signing was a good opening segment.

- The Authors of Pain squash was exactly what it needed to be. Those stereo running Powerbombs followed by them actually hitting Powerbombs on the mat looked vicious, btw.

- Andrade vs Dawkins was a fine squash. The post-match stuff when Roode came out and cut a promo was good. No, it was actually GLORIOUS!

- A Double's promo was a'ight. Also, the brass knuckles being displayed on a little cushion on Regal's desk was a nice touch.

- Billie Kay vs Liv Morgan was OK. The fact that girls like Billie are getting their chance to shine is appreciated.

- Another Ember Moon vignette aired, except this time we could actually see her, although she was wearing a hoodie and had a bandana covering her mouth. BUT WE KNOW IT'S YOU, ATHENA!

- Gargano & Ciampa vs Clark & Knight was amusing enough given the time constraint.

- Mojo calling Joe a fat, 900 pound heavyweight in that backstage segment cracked me up.

- Joe vs Mojo was exactly what it needed to be. Mojo was bringing the fight to Joe and did enough not to look like a joke, but Joe proved that he is still THE man in NXT! The post-match stuff with Nakamura was hilarious. I loved that ending, man. Joe looking pissed off and like he wanted to murder Nakamura and Nakamura being like MEH, IDGAF was awesome. The "I got your nose" bit followed by Nakamura slapping Joe cracked me up.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Good go-home show. It was really easy to watch and had nothing bad on it.

I am super stoked for TakeOver: Brooklyn II this Saturday. :yay: