NFL Offseason Thread [2017]

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I honestly blame people in the media (both on TV and social) for widening the gap between people and keeping the race issues going. I never once considered the amount of black vs white fans Cam has. That kind of thing would never cross my mind. When I look at sports players I look at their skills and integrity and that is how I consider someone good or not, or how I become a fan of them or not. It just goes to show that the media outlets will use anything to get us talking, even if it means making people hate each other more.

And yeah, so many people believe that the South is made up of racists. I find people in the south more accepting of color and sexual preference than places like California and New York who "pride" themselves on being open-minded. The media has a funny way of manipulating people into believing fake facts and lies.

Gosh. That last post of mine was a total disaster, haha. If I can be super serious for a moment...

I do believe there IS an issue with the blacks vs cops thing, but... Hell. May as well spell this out from earlier...

I used to work at an industrial kitchen in a "bad part of town" here, where for a long time I was the only white guy on the crew. And that's fine, whatever... but what I learned working there was just that there were many young parents working this minimum-wage gig just to support their families, struggling their way through the day as their parents did before them, as surely theirs did and... It's a tough culture over there. This run down, beaten up part of town with all these "crime-ridden streets" cause people to take LONG detours to avoid it out of fear of getting shot, as many people in this area join gangs and turn to lives of crime to feed their families with so little knowledge of a better way of doing things... not that I was much better, working in the same place. But at the core, the people I met over there were really cool. Just some fun-loving dudes trying to play their way through the day who happily accepted me over there with very little of that "aye can you believe that Brita girl down the street ugh how could people look at her with eyelashes that big!!!" dumb shit you see people seriously say here in the suburbs. We can all learn from each other... Though, they were the lucky ones. Other people couldn't find a job there and couldn't/wouldn't/didn't know better to find another job in that area and... anyway to the point, I believe there is institutionalized racism going on when so much crime goes down in these areas when desperate people do desperate things. (There's more to the story but this is a start lol).

To your point, 99% of people will see a black man walking down the street and pay no attention to him, and those other 1% have a lot more problems than that. Here, there, anywhere. And the media has got to the point where... the new host of the Daily Show, I forgot his name, ended his show by saying "You know, it's okay to both support the police and black people too." And got COVERED in praise. People shared it to no tomorrow as their way of promoting peace and prosperity and I admire the sharers but... really. That's where we're at. We have to be reminded about that... Hell, I'd argue that Donald Trump's done more for racism than anyone else. Since even you over there in your own news-free bubble have seen the racial outrage went down TREMENDOUSLY when Trump started dominating the news, which merely proves your points, Snake and Wizard. (gotta be a Harry Potter reference there)

And to swing it back to this story, WWESPN (ought keep that name!) was "pushing the storyline" of the stoic, blue-collar, prepared Manning going up against the swagger of the tremendously athletic yet showboating street-baller in Cam... which brought up the race thing and all that, which... isn't a bad way for the national news to start off talking about this if they ever want to have a serious discussion about it (which they don't, because what else will get them their votes in their precious Twitter poll sponsored by Snickers), but seriously, it's Super Bowl Week. You HAVE to stoop to this level...

Thank goodness I read too many sports blogs and love the nerdy aspects of football analysis so much though lol. Thanks PFF for your pages on pages about blocking assignments. :dawg:

seriously about that Harry Potter joke, lets go find it. Maybe throw ET in there as well, I can be the Yeti. There was one of those, right?

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Gosh. That last post of mine was a total disaster, haha. If I can be super serious for a moment...

I do believe there IS an issue with the blacks vs cops thing, but... Hell. May as well spell this out from earlier...

I used to work at an industrial kitchen in a "bad part of town" here, where for a long time I was the only white guy on the crew. And that's fine, whatever... but what I learned working there was just that there were many young parents working this minimum-wage gig just to support their families, struggling their way through the day as their parents did before them, as surely theirs did and... It's a tough culture over there. This run down, beaten up part of town with all these "crime-ridden streets" cause people to take LONG detours to avoid it out of fear of getting shot, as many people in this area join gangs and turn to lives of crime to feed their families with so little knowledge of a better way of doing things... not that I was much better, working in the same place. But at the core, the people I met over there were really cool. Just some fun-loving dudes trying to play their way through the day who happily accepted me over there with very little of that "aye can you believe that Brita girl down the street ugh how could people look at her with eyelashes that big!!!" dumb shit you see people seriously say here in the suburbs. We can all learn from each other... Though, they were the lucky ones. Other people couldn't find a job there and couldn't/wouldn't/didn't know better to find another job in that area and... anyway to the point, I believe there is institutionalized racism going on when so much crime goes down in these areas when desperate people do desperate things. (There's more to the story but this is a start lol).

To your point, 99% of people will see a black man walking down the street and pay no attention to him, and those other 1% have a lot more problems than that. Here, there, anywhere. And the media has got to the point where... the new host of the Daily Show, I forgot his name, ended his show by saying "You know, it's okay to both support the police and black people too." And got COVERED in praise. People shared it to no tomorrow as their way of promoting peace and prosperity and I admire the sharers but... really. That's where we're at. We have to be reminded about that... Hell, I'd argue that Donald Trump's done more for racism than anyone else. Since even you over there in your own news-free bubble have seen the racial outrage went down TREMENDOUSLY when Trump started dominating the news, which merely proves your points, Snake and Wizard. (gotta be a Harry Potter reference there)

And to swing it back to this story, WWESPN (ought keep that name!) was "pushing the storyline" of the stoic, blue-collar, prepared Manning going up against the swagger of the tremendously athletic yet showboating street-baller in Cam... which brought up the race thing and all that, which... isn't a bad way for the national news to start off talking about this if they ever want to have a serious discussion about it (which they don't, because what else will get them their votes in their precious Twitter poll sponsored by Snickers), but seriously, it's Super Bowl Week. You HAVE to stoop to this level...

Thank goodness I read too many sports blogs and love the nerdy aspects of football analysis so much though lol. Thanks PFF for your pages on pages about blocking assignments. :dawg:

seriously about that Harry Potter joke, lets go find it. Maybe throw ET in there as well, I can be the Yeti. There was one of those, right?

That was a lot to read but I think I got the core of it. I have been in bad areas as well where you would not even know it based on the people I spoke with. Yes there is crime, yes there are bad people, and yes most of these issues are centered in city areas but you have to consider what is really going on here. You have people who are desperately trying to dig themselves out of a hole. I don't care for Trump but if he is going to do what he says/said, he will be helping people stuck in this hole find jobs, better paying jobs because we wont have so many illegal immigrants taking opportunities from them or anyone else. The way he said it was harsh but what he is trying to do makes sense. I want people who want to be in this country and work in this country legally to have a fighting chance. Heck, my own husband will be an immigrant here soon.

But yeah, the race thing is a problem but it is GREATLY exaggerated by the news which only feeds the cycle. I don't even think a lot of cops are racists. They are just power hungry pigs (lol) and it is easier to kick a person who is already down on their knees than someone who is standing tall so to speak. I dated a cop for a week and he dumped me for not having sex with him. That pretty much sums it up. LOL I just want people in general to look at a person for what they do not for how they look. You can be a criminal, a liar, a cheater, ect. and be any color... There is NEVER a reason to attach black or Hispanic to that just like you wouldn't for a white person doing those things. My core beliefs are that "who are we to judge" and "only God can judge" and when I say "only God can judge" it means that not only does he have the right as our creator, but does it the right way (judges our hearts and intentions). I don't want to bring that up because I know not everyone believes what I do but morally speaking, I don't see why anyone would disagree about only judging a person for who they are on the inside. I try my best not to judge at all because it is a steep and slippery slope. I do it though and I often feel bad shortly after realizing I just did.

Also.. LOL'd at the Harry Potter thing. I didn't even think of that! :dawg:

Reactions: Snowman1

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
But putting this back on topic...

9e539e2e41b6799888e04219c429060a.jpg

Snowman1

Reaction score
And uhh by the way, Vince Young is attempting a comeback. :dawg:

Dream to make a team!

• Haha
Reactions: Solid Snake

Snowman1

Reaction score
That was a lot to read but I think I got the core of it. I have been in bad areas as well where you would not even know it based on the people I spoke with. Yes there is crime, yes there are bad people, and yes most of these issues are centered in city areas but you have to consider what is really going on here. You have people who are desperately trying to dig themselves out of a hole. I don't care for Trump but if he is going to do what he says/said, he will be helping people stuck in this hole find jobs, better paying jobs because we wont have so many illegal immigrants taking opportunities from them or anyone else. The way he said it was harsh but what he is trying to do makes sense. I want people who want to be in this country and work in this country legally to have a fighting chance. Heck, my own husband will be an immigrant here soon.

But yeah, the race thing is a problem but it is GREATLY exaggerated by the news which only feeds the cycle. I don't even think a lot of cops are racists. They are just power hungry pigs (lol) and it is easier to kick a person who is already down on their knees than someone who is standing tall so to speak. I dated a cop for a week and he dumped me for not having sex with him. That pretty much sums it up. LOL I just want people in general to look at a person for what they do not for how they look. You can be a criminal, a liar, a cheater, ect. and be any color... There is NEVER a reason to attach black or Hispanic to that just like you wouldn't for a white person doing those things. My core beliefs are that "who are we to judge" and "only God can judge" and when I say "only God can judge" it means that not only does he have the right as our creator, but does it the right way (judges our hearts and intentions). I don't want to bring that up because I know not everyone believes what I do but morally speaking, I don't see why anyone would disagree about only judging a person for who they are on the inside. I try my best not to judge at all because it is a steep and slippery slope. I do it though and I often feel bad shortly after realizing I just did.

Also.. LOL'd at the Harry Potter thing. I didn't even think of that! :dawg:

This was an awesome read. Very proud that you're trying to do your best to stop judging - not just race and it's frustrating to see it's JUST race, but with anything. We'd be a much better place if people would at least try to find positives, something that's been great to learn. Small things that have happened in our lives you don't remember shape you as a person...

Anyway I came back here to tag @Just Kevin and ask him about Earl Mitchell because I can't resist taking another shot at the Niners and hope they're actually as dumb as they're coming across. :dawg:

Reactions: Solid Snake

Snowman1

Reaction score
Good riddance to bad rubbish. That's all I have to say about Earl Mitchell.

:lol1:

Somehow that's what I thought... but you'd know a lot more. Good to know, so here's some LOL smileys for the Mistake by the Bay: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

Snowman1

Reaction score
Not sure how/if I should bother doing some free agency reactions, but hey, things are looking good so far over here! :eek:tunga:

sry Kev

Just Kevin

All I can be is just Me!
Reaction score
Not sure how/if I should bother doing some free agency reactions, but hey, things are looking good so far over here! :eek:tunga:

sry Kev

Sorry about what? lol

Dolphins haven't done much. Released Earl Mitchell and Mario Williams.. re-signed Andre Branch for way too much money.. 3 years $27 million. Re-signed Kenny Stills for 4 years $32 million.

I am looking forward to seeing Romo sign with the Broncos once the Cowboys release him next week. The AFC should be interesting next year.

Snowman1

Reaction score
Sorry about what? lol

Dolphins haven't done much. Released Earl Mitchell and Mario Williams.. re-signed Andre Branch for way too much money.. 3 years $27 million. Re-signed Kenny Stills for 4 years $32 million.

I am looking forward to seeing Romo sign with the Broncos once the Cowboys release him next week. The AFC should be interesting next year.

Just for being a Dolphins fan. :eek:tunga:

I wonder about the new salary cap though, as while both of those re-signings were for WAY too much money - most of the signings so far are - maybe that's just fair with more cap room, who knows?
Still I doubt those are really crippling blows. Really up to the draft to see if the Phins can improve on last year...
Also Tyrod staying in Buffalo + a new fullback + more offseason moves + no Rex Ryan makes the division a little tougher, but hell you whooped 'em last year. Buffalo ain't scarin' ya.

If he goes to the Texans, is it fair to consider them the favorites in the AFC? With THAT defense able to rattle Brady at a 2015 Broncos level?

Actually really impressed by the 49ers so far. Great move with the Baltimore FB and sad to lose him... Garcon with a massively frontloaded contract, Goodwin for peanuts, if they can snag Kirk Cousins away from Washington that's at least the start to a solid offense over there.

It's... Mindblowing to me to see Baltimore sign Tony Jefferson and Danny Woodhead. Amazing pickups - and I can't believe Jefferson in under the cap - but not sure if spending big money for two safeties is really such a good idea.
Guess a 1st rounder across from Jimmy Smith could be one of the best secondaries in years but it doesn't matter with no pass rushers lol