Lucha Underground on El Rey

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Episode #35 was awesome and enormously enjoyed, as well! No Dario this week, though. But they did a great job of hyping Ultima Lucha.

- Lucha Underground opens up with a dope video package of Pentagon talking to his master.
The master is actually shown here, not in his entirety, though, but he's present and he's talking to Pentagon.
Pentagon says Ian Hodgkinson (Vampiro) will be his sacrifice!

- The Mack vs Cage was good. I liked this match, these two were just [bam, bam, bam!] from the opening bell till the end.

- Son of Havoc is shown the locker room, Catrina sneaks up behind him and scares the hell out of him.
She says soon her Disciples of Death will be after the trios gold.
Out comes Ivelisse and says "Back off, bitch!" and just as soon as she was to grab Catrina by the neck, she disappears, lights go out and Ivelisse falls on top of Havoc.
Angelico's shown after that and he's like "Oh, God! Please don't tell me you guys are getting back together.", to what both Ivelisse and Havoc reply with "Shut up!"
This segment was awesome!

- Vampiro interviewing Pentagon was an awesome segment! I'm beyond hyped for their match at Ultima Lucha, it'll be a hardcore slugfest.

- Mil Muertes vs Son of Havoc was stellar and greatly enjoyed!

- Texano is in the ring and cuts a nice promo about how he's never been a nice dude, but he has always been Mexican.
He said he is a cheater, but he never turns on his people. Texano said he hates Chavo and wants to settle it with him once and for all at Ultima Lucha.
Out comes The Crew and they attack Texano from behind. Blue Demon makes the save shortly after.
But, The Crew passed Blue Demon a chair and Demon whacked Texano over the head and he's busted open.
Demon continues to beat down Texano and then cuts a promo and told Texano he is not Mexico.
He said he doesn't need him to fight his battles for him and instead Texano will face him at Ultima Lucha.
Good stuff!

- Team Mundo vs Team Alberto in Atómicos 8-Man Tag match was a damn good ME!

- The closing segment featuring Vampiro and Pentagon was cool.
As the show was going off the air, Pentagon kicked Vampiro from behind and then hit him with a chair.
Pentagon told his master this sacrifice was for him then he kicked Vampiro again and grabbed a tank of gasoline.
He doused Vampiro in gas, then told him he is not afraid of him and that Vampiro is afraid of Pentagon.
He told Vampiro that if he doesn't accept the challenge, his family and the entire world will see Vampiro burn in flames.

Last edited:

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Semi LU related:

Angelico is getting a documentary made about him.

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score

I haven't read spoilers and I have no desire to, but there's a small part of me...way back in the dark precincts of my mind....that keeps seeing Vince McMahon's face with that shit-eating grin saying, "It was me, Austin! It was me all along!"

I know Vinny's not Pentagon, Jr.'s, master (and I'm thinking we all find out at Ultima Lucha, and I'm okay with waiting until then), but that's just where my head is at.

wk

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
El Rey is partially owned by Univision. It's also partially owned by NBC/Universal, which pushed for the creation of such a channel (targeted at and owned by Latinos with English-language broadcasts) due to U.S. Congressional pressure (not just one "for Latinos", but several for different ethnic minorities).

El Rey's going to be a money pit for a while. Most new stations lose money for the first few years (just like most businesses lose money for the first several months) before becoming profitable. As long as NBC/Universal's money is behind it, though, I have a feeling El Rey will be around.

As for LU's future, Robert Rodriguez, the originator of El Rey Network, loves LU (he's one of the show's executive producers). I have a feeling they'll be back. And, if they have to change filming locations, I'm sure there are plenty of places that are available (and probably at a lower price) from Austin, Texas, south.

wk

I couldn't have said that any better. El Rey was launched in December of 2013. It generally takes a new business venture between 2 to 5 years to break even. A large portion of that money that is in the red is likely start up capital. Even if the business is already established, it uses start up capital for its new ventures and that is likely why El Rey won't turn a profit for a few years. The investors had to know this or they're not experienced investors.

Just for example, I opened a new Borders store in 2000 in Gurnee, IL. At the time, Borders was doing great, the company was turned a huge profit. But our store, even though we were making more money than we were spending, we still filed in the in red every month for 4 years because we were paying back our start up capital.

El Rey investors would lose more money pulling the plug before really giving it a chance to begin with.

Reactions: Wacokid27

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I haven't read spoilers and I have no desire to, but there's a small part of me...way back in the dark precincts of my mind....that keeps seeing Vince McMahon's face with that shit-eating grin saying, "It was me, Austin! It was me all along!"

I know Vinny's not Pentagon, Jr.'s, master (and I'm thinking we all find out at Ultima Lucha, and I'm okay with waiting until then), but that's just where my head is at.

wk

I unfortunately exposed to two Ultima Lucha spoilers a couple months ago. I basically know the winner of the main event and the trios match. I cannot tell you how overly fucking pissed I was when it happened. I bitched the guy out so bad that he got too scared to talk to me for a while... I then apologized, but I was soooooooo upset.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Episode #36 was good. In this particular ep, they've done a slow, but a good job at hyping Ultima Lucha.

- The opening segment with Pentagon and Dario was cool.
Dario offers one of the Aztec medallions to Pentagon for free, but he says all he wants is to destroy Vampiro. Dario would go on to ask when will he meet The Master and Pentagon answers with "When I prove that I'm ready." So, I guess that might happen at Ultima Lucha.

- Bengala vs Daivari was alright for the time given. The outcome of the match couldn't have been more satisfying. Bengala wins one of the remaining Aztec medallions.

- I liked that in-ring segment with Vampiro and Pentagon.
Vampiro said he's been around for 30 years and said that Pentagon has pushed him for one more match with his attack last week.
Vamp said Pentagon reminds him of himself when he was younger... Pentagon then interrupts Vampiro.
Pentagon mocked Vamp and said he wants an answer. Vampiro told Pentagon to stop.
He said Ian Hodgkinson isn't gonna be the one Pentagon will face at Ultima Lucha, 'cause the guy who's gonna kick Pentagon's ass is Vampiro. Vampiro then grabbed Pentagon and delivered a Chokeslam.
It is on, baby!

- Sexy Star is shown in the locker room. She's getting ready and then reaches into her bag - which has Super Fly's mask in it. We get flashbacks of their mask vs mask match and she leaves the mask on top of her bag.

- King Cuerno vs Killshot was decent.

- Sexy Star vs Super Fly. Umm, WTF was this? It's like, Sexy Star and Super Fly were given much more time the last time they faced and now they're given 30 seconds. Mind-boggling stuff, right there.

Post-match, Marty The Moth came out to the ring and asked to see Sexy Star's medallion.
Marty said that the Aztec gold represents his tribe and he requested a match with her right now.
At least this 'match' was bearable.

- The final segment was awesome!
El Jefe hyped up the big title match at UL and then called out Prince Puma and MM.
As they faced off, Catrina appeared and El Jefe asked her to leave.
The Disciples of Death arrived and wheeled out the casket, as the champ and the challenger started brawling.
The Disciples of Death got involved and started to beat down Prince Puma.
Konnan tried to make the save and he worked over the Disciples of Death with that cane, but MM took him out.
MM then held Puma, as Catrina KO'd Konnan with the rock.
Then, the Disciples of Death placed him in the casket as Puma was forced to watch, and then MM hit the Flatliner as Konnan was wheeled out of the Temple.

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
I was a little disappointed in last night's show (although it was still very good).

It just felt like the Vampiro-Pentagon match reveal (even though we all knew it was coming) was so well done that everything else was just a bit dull. I enjoyed the show, don't get me wrong, it just felt a little drawn-down after the first 15 or 20 minutes.

wk