Lucha Underground on El Rey

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I think I'm looking forward to Vampiro the most. But I am pretty psyched up for Ultima Lucha tonight. Unfortunately, I've had a second match spoiled for me due to a silly mistake but I honestly don't care. I know the result of the main event and the battle royal, BUT I don't care. Even knowing the results, I think both matches will be great.

I don't know about Vampiro and Pentagon JR, so that might be one of the 25 million reasons I am so excited for that match.

This month is just going to kill me. Ultima Lucha tonight, only halfway through the G1 Climax, a four hour Summerslam... this is like the wrestlingest month of the year.

Messiah1

The Showoff
Banned
Reaction score
Tonight is the night Prince Puma loses the Lucha Championship.. It must happen, he's been a terrible champion. All will be right with this company once he's no longer champion.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
it's only 1 and a half hours away and I don't see how I can make that long. feeling like a crack addict staring at sugar here. FEED ME LUCHA

Reactions: Jacob Fox

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I have to say that I loved Ultima Lucha. Knowing that Mil Muertes was going to become champion didn't detract from the outstanding match he had with Prince Puma. I have to disagree with Messiah, I thought Puma was an excellent champion and he put on a hell of a match. Muertes has come a LONG way since his time as Judas Mesias in TNA. Both men just put on a spectacular***** main event.

I have to admit I didn't see the Vampiro as Pentagon's master angle coming. It was something else. The match itself was pretty stiff and Pentagon was obviously working both his and Vampiro's offense, but ut was still fun. And anytime an angle surprises me, it makes me happy.

I really like Big Ryck. It's odd because he's not the type of wrestler I am drawn to usually. He just has an intriguing ring presence. The 7 way was good even though I knew the outcome. ***1/2

It was interesting too see Melina back even though it made me feel old. It's hard to believe that MNM broke up 8 years ago. I never liked her but it didn't matter. Mundo and Patron put on a ***1/2 match.

My cable went out during Blue.Demon JR vs Texano, so I don't know who won.

All in all, the show was great and we better get a season 2. It would suck to be left hanging.

Oh and I was VERY amused when Puma got a 'suplex city' chant going in his favor.

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
Mundo/Alberto ****1/2
Pentagon/Vampiro ****1/2
Gift of the Gods ****1/4 (Ryck's chokeslam on Sexy Star = ten shurikens!)
Texano/Demon **3/4 (Castro and Cisco look so suave wearing suits)
Muertes/Puma ***** (speechless)
Lotus/Dario/Matanza/Azteca **********
Season 2 Teasers **********

Part 2 of Ultima Lucha is your current Show of the Year, and I highly doubt anything's gonna top it. I don't really know what to say right now, tbf, I feel so fucking happy and overwhelmed. I thing I reached nirvana. Among the clouds. I assume this is how heroin users feel after taking a shot.

Thank you, Lucha Underground, it's been a helluva ride. One of the greatest wrestling experiences ever. I felt like a kid all over again. I'm blessed and thankful.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
ultimalucha_final_logo.jpg

Ultima Lucha was a tremendous show!
It has definitely cemented Lucha Underground as the absolute best weekly wrestling show in the last 15 years!​

- The show was dedicated to 'The Original Rudo', 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper.

- A video package is shown, recapping the entire first season to get everyone up to speed.

- Due to Vampiro wrestling on the show, Michael Schiavello joins Matt Striker on commentary! Yay!

- Johnny Mundo vs El Patrón was a great show opener.
While I did enjoy the match, it could've done without a ref bump and shenanigans (Melina interference).
Post-match El Patrón spanked Melina and beat the hell out of Mundo.
'Payback is a bitch', they say. Alberto then tossed Mundo through a door window and when Mundo's face was finally shown, he appeared looking as if he was in a horror movie scene.

- I loved that Dragon Azteca/Black Lotus/Cueto segment. Azteca arrived to rescue Black Lotus, but El Jefe appears and says he broke the treaty by entering the temple and the penalty for that is death.
Lotus then attacks Azteca from her cage, delivers the death strike and Dario releases her.
El Jefe says she started a war and only he can protect her. They're heading to THE NEW TEMPLE and Matanza's joinging 'em!

- Cero Miedo match: Pentagon vs Vampiro was an awesome slugfest. It was just brutal, I loved it!
Post-match, Vampiro asked Pentagon to break his arm and so he did. Pentagon then delivered a promo and said 'Where are you, master?'. And surprise, surprise! Vampiro is his master! It was a legit HOLY SHIT moment, I marked out!

- Gift of the Gods match: Fenix vs Aerostar vs Jack Evans vs Sexy Star vs Big Ryck vs Bengala vs King Cuerno was so much fun!
Also, I totally marked out for Aerostar jumping from space to take out his opponents! Oh, and Fenix winning floats my boat.

- No DQ match: Blue Demon vs Texano. This was more of an angle than a match. Not a fan of this segment.
I would've preferred Texano beating the shit out of Blue Demon for 3-5 minutes instead of what we got here, but oh well...

- Lucha Underground title match: Mil Muertes vs Prince Puma was a fantastic ME! ***** and MOTYC for sure!

- The closing segment with Dario/Lotus/Matanza and season 2 teaser were outstanding!

We want season 2, please!

THG?

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Didn't know what to think of the show once it ended, but after digesting it, all I have to say is. What a season finale. Just a culmination of a season's hard work. Seriously, I'd be shocked if Lucha Underground have any doubters after this. There's obviously some things that I disliked, for example, I thought the interference angles in the Gift Of The Gods match were annoying and brought that match down a peg for me (I understand why they did it, but I just wanted this to be a an all-out amazing spotfest and it didn't quite reach that level for me, maybe due to the interference but who knows.) Still though, fuck yeah Fenix. As soon as he one, the result of the main event was pretty much a given. One other thing I could've done without was Blue Demon Jr. wrestling on this show. The Chavo thing was neat I guess, but I wasn't a fan of this whole angle to begin with.

Now, to the things I loved. The opener, great opener. I much preferred their first match but I couldn't really be disappointed with this match, and although Melina costing El Patron the match was odd, I didn't completely hate it. Post-match shenanigans were great with Alberto putting Mundo through the window that Mundo had put El Patron through earlier in the season. That was nifty. It's what makes LU special, they do callbacks every now and then to remind you of things that happened previously. Like, for example, a couple weeks ago, El Patron made the save for Texano, but they didn't play it off like they were all cool buddy buddy now, you could actually tell that they didn't forget about the feud, something you don't see happen on WWE TV often.

The Vampiro/Pentagon match was an absolute spectacle. People will love it, people will hate it. I personally loved it. The violence shed in that match was absolutely perfect and Pentagon looked like such a star here. Just really over-delivered for me. Though I thought that Pentagon knew who his master already was, Vampiro being it was a nice swerve.

Now to the main event. Who didn't love this? Just an amazing performance by both men from start to finish and quite possibly one of the best matches from this season. The nearfalls towards the end were crazy and so was that finish. A worthy main event on the season finale.

Also, the teasers for season 2 had me hyped like a motherfucker. From Marty doing a better Bray Wyatt than Bray Wyatt, to Black Lotus and Dario leaving the temple, to seeing the first glimpse of Matanza, to everything. I'm not exactly sure what Drago said to Aerostar, but I guess they formed some type of pact? My theory is that LU will have tag titles implemented in the next season and Drago/Aerostar will join forces or something. But this leaves so many doors open for Season 2, honestly can't wait. Wonder where it will be held now.

And one final question, because I didn't quite catch it at the end, did Matanza Cueto kill Dragon Azteca?

Here are the ratings:

Mundo/El Patron (****)
Vampiro/Pentagon (****)
Gift Of The Gods (***1/2)
Texano Jr./Blue Demon Jr. (**)
Prince Puma/Mil Muertes (****1/2)

Reactions: Snowman1

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Matanza! Dayumn, he looks so menacing. I wonder if we'll ever find out who's the man behind that mask.
[HASHTAG]#Season2Plz[/HASHTAG]
tumblr_nsnrgpESzh1rm7wbjo1_1280.jpg

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Black Lotus killed El Dragon Azteca.

BAH GAWD WHAT A DEATH STRIKE

That's the second murder of the season, right?

So, now we have this other dude who put on Azteca's mask and painted the question mark on the LUG billboard.

WE WANT SEASON 2, DAMMIT! Don't leave us hanging!

Rogue

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Not much that I can add, but Ultima Lucha was definitely the best event so far to me. I really, really hope they get renewed for another season. The moment when Fenix dethrones Mil for the title would be HUGE, we need to see it happen.

Mundo/El Patron: ****
Vampiro/Pentagon: ****3/4
Vampiro being Pentagon's master: *****
Gift Of The Gods: ***3/4
Texano Jr./Blue Demon Jr.: **1/2
Prince Puma/Mil Muertes: *****
The closing moments: **********

Reactions: Bort and Snowman1

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
Van Wagenen's reddit AMA was highly encouraging, he said Season 2 will "99,9%" happen, and it's a matter of "when and where", not "if". He did say January '16 is the most realistic time.