Lucha Underground on El Rey

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
So I assume Hernandez is being fed to Mantanza next then.

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
Episode 36
aired: 2015/7/15

Ringwork wise, this was definitely the weakest episode of the series, but as we all should know by now, Lucha Underground is way more than just a rigid bell-to-bell action, it doesn't depend on it. The episode still had three strong segments that totally delivered: Pentagon and Dario at the office discussing things, Vampiro's in-ring promo with him accepting Pentagon's challenge for Ultima Lucha, and main event Mil/Puma confontation that was excellent, IMO. So yeah, overall I'd call this an enjoyable episode, time just flew by and it's always a good thing. Besides, Cuerno/Killshot was sweet little match and I like how they handled the Sexy Star angle, it felt refreshing. Bonus points for constantly hyping the Ultima Lucha card too.
  1. Aztec Medallion No. 4: Bengala vs. Delavar Daivari **3/4
  2. Aztec Medallion No. 5: King Cuerno vs. Killshot ***
  3. Aztec Medallion No. 6: Super Fly vs. Sexy Star N/A
  4. Aztec Medallion No. 6: Marty Martinez vs. Sexy Star **

Reactions: Snowman1

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Episode #37 was a fine show overall. Can't wait for Ultima Lucha, Part 1 next week!

- The show starts with Big Ryck and El Jefe talking in the office. El Jefe says that Big Ryck still has potential and needs to get away from Daivari.
He then spoke of the Aztec medallions and gave Ryck the last one for free. Ryck being Ryck, a greedy sumbitch, of course, also scored a pile of dough and was glad that he and El Jefe could finally see 'eye to eye'.

- Texano vs Mundo was solid for the time given. Having the match end in a DQ made sense, considering both guys have big matches at Ultima Lucha.
I really like Johnny in a rudo role, and having Alberto run in and make the save, then have a stand off with Texano, showing that they are not amigos made sense.
I mean, I liked everything here, it worked well.

- Hernandez meets with El Jefe in the office. Dario informs him that the fans hate him and that gave him an idea, he says Hernandez will face Drago in a Believer's Backlash match next week. The fans will get straps and if the wrestlers go to the floor, the fans can get involved. This is brilliant!

- The Mack defeated Cage in under a minute and he's like the second guy to do so. Huh, WTF? This was similar to last week's Sexy Star/Super Fly match, it was just a bad, bad decision to end the match in a way they did.
I'm not mad Cage lost, but him losing a match in under a minute kinda kills his booking of being a monster heel.
So, Cueto appeared in the middle of their brawl and announced Cage vs Mack in a Falls Count Anywhere match next week.

- El Jefe is in the ring and explaining the Aztec medallions. He revealed a new title called 'Gift of the Gods'.
There's room on the championship for all of the medallions. The title's looking dope!
Dario says the winner of a seven-way match at Ultima Lucha will win the GOTG title. Duh!
The holder of the GOTG will get a LUG title shot anytime they desire, but there won't be cashing in out of the blue, 'cause El Jefe wants to get at least one week to promote the match.
But, there's a catch, if the person doesn't turn it in for a title shot, they will have to defend it.
Once the GOTG's turned in for a title shot, the medallions will start to be awarded all over again.
Dario calls out the medallion holders next. DC says they must place their medallions on the title to make the match official.
El Jefe mentions that Fenix has been destroyed by Mil Muertes, so he will put his medallion back up for grabs tonight in a battle royal (w/ the final two fighting till there's a pin or submission.)
Fenix's music hits and he is back, of course, but El Jefe decides that he will have to fight to earn back his medallion.

- The Aztec medallion battle royal was a bit rushed, but still fun.

- The closing segment was cool. Puma fighting off The Disciples of Death, taking out MM afterwards and then delivering a message to him that he's ready for a title match at Ultima Lucha was cool to see!

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Ultima Lucha, Part 1 was a good appetizer for the main course that is goin' down next week!

- I loved the show opener with Black Lotus and El Jefe. This segment ruled the world and it was one of the longest show opening segments of the season, running about 3-4 minutes, and it filled in a lot of backstory on this particular Dario/Lotus/Matanza/Dragon Azteca angle, that is arguably the most controversial part of LUG.

- Cage vs The Mack was a stellar, enjoyable match.
These two were fighting all over the temple and they never got in the ring.
This match, with a Falls Count Anywhere stipulation was booked beautifully.
And, holy fuckamole! Cage delivering a Curb Stomp on a cinder block and driving The Mack's head through it was a sick finish! I marked out.

- The Disciples of Death vs Angelico, Ivelisse & Son of Havoc was OK for what it was, but except that crazy dive by Angelico from the roof, it was nothing special.

- Drago vs Hernandez was decent. I was so happy to see Hernandez get his ass smacked by the fans.
Also, I lost my mind when Drago pulled out the nunchuks. It was great!

- The closing segment was good.
Wait, Prince Puma is in some way involved in the Black Lotus/Matanza/Azteca storyline? This shit's insane!
Next week's gonna be even more insane, can't wait!

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I had to download the show since my DVR failed me. I was relatively pissed off but fortunately was able to find it fast.

All I can say is that the entire show was great. I really loved the Mack vs Cage. I thought it was great when the Mack did his homage to Stone Cold Steve Austin. I would have preferred Mack winning because I actually like him and don't care much for Cage, but it was really an entertaining match. I would actually rate it as the best match of Ultima Lucha part one.

The Trios match was a bit anti climactic for me. It was spoiled for me a while back so I knew that the DOD was going to win. It was really nothing special. I did, of course, love Angelico's dive onto the DOD. It was a bit freakier than his previous ones because of hitting the floor rather than the mat. He sold it well and the blood coming from his mouth really made it seem really real.

I personally have no problem with Hernandez. I was a fan of his back in TNA when he was with LAX. I can't say I am a fan of his much now, but he doesn't irritate me. The match was okay, the funniest part to me was the really fat Believer who kept on trying to whip Hernandez. He looked like a white version of Gabriel Iglesias (before he lost weight) and the irony of that was more than enjoyable. I did also like how the one fan was whipping Hernandez and when Hernandez took the belt from him, he backed off like "Don't hurt me man!" Talk about a wuss. If you can't take a beating, bitch boi, don't dish it out. :)

Anyhoo, the whole thing was pretty great. I expect part 2 to be even better. Only one of the part two matches is spoiled for me, but I assume that even though I know the outcome, it will be pretty awesome between Prince Puma and Mil Muertes.

Messiah1

The Showoff
Banned
Reaction score
Mil Muertes better win the championship next week. I hate this Prince Puma guy.

Last night's episode was really good. I'm not the biggest LU fan but i really enjoyed it last night.

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
The Mack vs. Cage ****1/2 (what a goddamn sprint scuffle!)
Trios Title *** (the Catrina/Ivelisse ending was super)
Drago vs. Shaun **** (immensely fun blow-off)

Also the Matanza/Dragon/Lotus/White Hoodie story... Great, great episode!

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
................dayum, son.

Shortest review ever: Screw reading any words. Stop what you're doing. Get off your ass. Watch this show.

Reactions: Wacokid27

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
El Jefe is the GOAT.

30 years of watching wrestling and I can say without any doubt, Dario Cueto is the best authority figure I've seen. I mean, there are plenty that I've liked, but even the good ones can get annoying or involved in idiotic storylines. Cueto is the perfect combination of command with only an extremely rare cowardish act, who although coming across as a heel, will easily cross the heel/face borders without changing his personality at all. They really did it right with him.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score

Bah. Gawd.

This was incredible!!!! I wanted to run back and like it five times, so I went back and liked five posts + one I meant to already but forgot.

On Season 2, you know what they already said. They're going to film it, but they were bleeding money and want a TV deal that will let them keep their current production style. PLEASE. YES. More stuff like this, please!
Also, I fucking LOVE these guys not wanting to compromise or settle for less. Amazing to see the LUG crew having the pride and desire to keep producing quality.

I seriously think that if they could strike a deal with Univision and keep the hype train going, it could be the best thing to ever happen to American pro wrestling. If word could spread to this show and enough "casual fans" could check it out and enjoy this intelligent product, and people could see that they don't have to be ashamed of professional wrestling. Maybe pro wrestling could even get to the point where advertisers don't have to be afraid of it.

But that's the biggest pipe dream imaginable, lol