Lucha Underground on El Rey

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Episode #34 soooo good!

- Liked the opening segment featuring Chavo and El Jefe. Dario says "Anything for you, Chavo" and grants Chavo his wish, a No DQ title match against Prince Puma, while Konnan is allowed to stay at ringside, but cannot interfere.

- Texano vs Daivari was good. If this was the blow-off match, then it was done well. Although I was hoping we'd get to see a No DQ match where these two would brutalize the fuck out of each other... But, oh well. Everything was done well here, so no complaints.

- That backstage segment with Konnan/Puma/Catrina and Mil Muertes was cool.

- Somewhere backstage, Konnan is seen talking to a mysterious person (which would later be revealed to be Texano) and wants comeuppance delivered to Chavo. Look out, Chavito. Shit just got real. Oh, it's damn real!

- Hernandez vs Drago. Everything about this was enjoyable for me, from start to finish. Dayumn, Hernandez (literally) scaring the shit out of that fan, taking his belt, whipping Drago with it and then cutting a promo was gold!

- That backstage segment involving Catrina/Chavo and Mil Murtes was alright. Chavo is confident and he just brushes Team Supernatural off. LOL'd so hard at the scream by Mil Muertes at the end of the segment.

- El Patrón squashing Marty like a moth was enjoyable! I loved seeing Alberto's viciousness. Diggin' his new gear, too.

- Prince Puma vs Chavo was alright, but it's a bloody shame Chavo got hurt and we never got to see the original ending to the match.

- The closing segment featuring Chavo and Blue Demon was fine.

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
thecubsfan:
Univision is filing for an IPO, which means it has to begins to release certain information about it’s finances. Univision owns some part of El Rey Network (less than 20%), so they’ve got the El Rey numbers on there. They are not pretty: the channel cost $109 million to run and only brought in $44.9 million, leaving a loss of $72.3 million. That’s an incredible amount of money. Not all of that is Lucha Underground, but the idea that it cost $20 million (or whatever) to do that show is completely plausible in that context. It was explain why we still haven’t heard about a renewal; it’s got to be a tough call to keep throwing money at it, even if it is excellent.
Brace yourselves, the doom is coming. Only a matter of time before they call it a day.
HkdsKH3.gif

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Dear Lucha Underground: I've now seen you "promote" BOTH members of the dreaded Los Stereotypicos up to the main event scene, giving each a title shot.

And both matches were great! I love you, LUG! You too, Puma!

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
Dear Lucha Underground: I've now seen you "promote" BOTH members of the dreaded Los Stereotypicos up to the main event scene, giving each a title shot.

And both matches were great! I love you, LUG! You too, Puma!
Yeah, but still, Fuck Chavo and Hernandez.

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
El Rey is partially owned by Univision. It's also partially owned by NBC/Universal, which pushed for the creation of such a channel (targeted at and owned by Latinos with English-language broadcasts) due to U.S. Congressional pressure (not just one "for Latinos", but several for different ethnic minorities).

El Rey's going to be a money pit for a while. Most new stations lose money for the first few years (just like most businesses lose money for the first several months) before becoming profitable. As long as NBC/Universal's money is behind it, though, I have a feeling El Rey will be around.

As for LU's future, Robert Rodriguez, the originator of El Rey Network, loves LU (he's one of the show's executive producers). I have a feeling they'll be back. And, if they have to change filming locations, I'm sure there are plenty of places that are available (and probably at a lower price) from Austin, Texas, south.

wk

Reactions: Prince Bálor

Messiah1

The Showoff
Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure Ivelisse is kicking ass on this show lately. She's a true boss.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Even though they're being forced to abandon The Temple, does anyone think it would be a cool idea if they kept changing locations ever season just to constantly keep things fresh? I mean, I love the idea of Dario Cuerto being this overlord that presides over just this one particular domain that all of his wrestlers go to compete in, but it's something I wanted to throw out there.

(This is assuming that they won't just dress up the new location to make it resemble The Temple as much as possible and pass it off as the same thing anyway.)

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
Even though they're being forced to abandon The Temple, does anyone think it would be a cool idea if they kept changing locations ever season just to constantly keep things fresh? I mean, I love the idea of Dario Cuerto being this overlord that presides over just this one particular domain that all of his wrestlers go to compete in, but it's something I wanted to throw out there.

(This is assuming that they won't just dress up the new location to make it resemble The Temple as much as possible and pass it off as the same thing anyway.)

They've pretty strongly identified themselves with L.A., but we all know it's fantasy. They could film just about anywhere and use backdrop shots that look like L.A., so it would be easy for them to find another location (even in another city) and just tell us it's the same Temple.

Although, I do like the basis of your idea, that Cueto's a big enough dog in the world that he can command people to come to his place to perform, wherever that may be. In that case, shoot the next season from El Paso, Texas, season 3 from Miami, season 4 from NYC, season 5 from Chicago, etc., etc., etc.

wk