Royal Rumble Give me one good reason why Bryan deserved to win the Rumble?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
I want to ask a legitimate question. If say Daniel Bryan weren't to return at all, who would you have win it then? Give me an honest answer.

And Stop, he's still getting loud pops. I don't know why you're making excuses why he shouldn't be? If I linked a Smackdown video, the response would be edited. If you linked a video of a small pop, I'd say they're in a bad crowd like Green Bay. So putting crowd reactions to the side, when Sheamus went to RAW there was about a two month gap of winning the WWE Championship. Now THAT'S a fast push!

I think people want to hate Reigns for the sake of him being a big muscular guy with the look, so he automatically doesn't deserve a push. But no one is going to complain about a Seth Rollins push by turning his back on The Shield, siding with HHH, winning MITB and having feuds with Orton, Cena and Lesnar because he's from talentland, ROH. Or how no one is going to complain about Ambrose getting segments, movies and feuds with The Authority, Rollins, Orton and Bray Wyatt.

BUT... we will complain about a Roman Reigns who has been improving and learning for the last six months, taking acting classes, having a three minute promos, repairing from injury because he has the "look" that WWE wants and hasn't been able to find in a decade. Who has he been feuding with? Orton and Big Show? Who's been writing his promos? Vince McMahon? If Roman were to say get to a point where he's developed enough to become champion, how much more can he improve on when he becomes Champion?

Ambrose is improving, Rollins is improving and Reigns is improving. So leaving one man out based out based off his limited talent or lets say, reaction level is ridiculous. It only gets better from here for all three of them. AND unlike Sheamus, Reigns speaks English.
First of, I am not hating Reigns. I have said it multiple times in this thread and in other threads that I like him and hope he has a long and good career. But this was the wrong move.

Fact remains he doesn't have a hook, character or reason for me or for fans to care outside of being the one guy from the shield who didn't get a character of his own. Roman deserves a push, but not this one because he is not ready to shoulder that burden.

Is he improving? Yes. But not at the pace or level he should be for the intended direction. The idea of putting the belt on him and seeing if he improves afterwards is stupid. You don't drive a car before putting an engine into it, you don't move into a house until it is renovated. And you don't make a guy your champion unless you know that he can handle himself on that level.

That's why we have belts like the US and intercontinental belt. Ideally Roman would spend 2015 with one of those belts and developing the skills needed to be world champion. Because when he becomes world champion that magnifying glass is only going to be on him even more, and he needs to be ready. It's not something he can become once he is past that point.

As for who I would have booked to win this rumble:
Brock Retains: Bryan. Simple. No one better suited. Story is too good.
Cena had won: Rusev, spent all of 2014 proving he can be a upper mid to top heel.
Rollins had won: Dean or possibly Dolph.

CrayJ Lee

Champion
Reaction score
Website
bewitchingbennett.tumblr.com
I was shocked that DB didn't make it to at least the final four. What irritated me the remainder of the match was the crowd being disrespectful to the remaining competitors. I understand people were upset and a number of them wanted Bryan to win, but I had a very hard time enjoying the rest of the match due to all the booing.

I don't mind that Reigns won the Royal Rumble, it was just awfully predictable considering how well he did last year and I figured he'd win this year. Rollins could cash in on Reigns and win the title at Wrestlemania and then maybe people will be happier.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Rollins is the best imo. He won the MITB, has put on stellar matches, and his promos are well.

Ambrose has amazing segments

What does Reigns undoubtedly excel at yet? (Besides being beautiful)
I like Rollins too, probably favourite talent wise. I'd say his promos improved, but not at the level it can be. He can and is working on it though. As for his matches, they're great as well, but he wasn't really in the Rumble match? :urm:

As for Ambrose, I agree he's had great segments, but again, he's been booked poorly ever since his breakup with The Shield. He's looked strong in a sense, but not enough to take on the beast.

Roman was always the powerhouse of The Shield. He hasn't had much to work with, they barely gave him the microphone, but he has looked strong the entire time.
Now if I was booking on who would win out of the three, it'd be Rollins or Reigns. But Rollins wasn't in the Rumble match, so I'm forced to go with Reigns.
Would I have the losing brawler face the beast, the high flying daredevil with security face the beast or the undefeated Roman Reigns? If Daniel Bryan didn't return, it'd only make sense to have Reigns. Plus, they made Bryan return in a weird fashion where they have a heartfelt promo, but have him lose some matches. What's the point? Should have made his return literally at the Rumble, then it could have worked.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
I would have Ambrose or Ziggler winning, to be honest (granted I would've booked them a bit differently in recent months as well if I were to do this but yeah). I like Roman and I am all in favor of pushing new guys to the main event but I wouldn't have pulled the trigger on Reigns here. As far as Bryan, well, I wasn't angry he lost but I guess it would've been safer for WM and the build to it and safer for Reigns, as well, as he could've had a slower push. But damn, was it stupid to throw him out midway into the match lol

CFCrusader

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
They could have picked any of the 10 guys we like more than Reigns who have more talent and experience to win but buried them all, like Cesaro; this man should have been challenging Lesnar, I'm sure the fans wouldn't have turned (at least, not on this scale) because Cesaro > Reigns by far and if WWE didn't use him to keep Heyman plugging Lesnar on TV and nothing else, he could've been a badass face with a point to prove and we could see that it actually makes sense, and Bryan could go on to Bray Wyatt or whatever.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
First of, I am not hating Reigns. I have said it multiple times in this thread and in other threads that I like him and hope he has a long and good career. But this was the wrong move.

Fact remains he doesn't have a hook, character or reason for me or for fans to care outside of being the one guy from the shield who didn't get a character of his own. Roman deserves a push, but not this one because he is not ready to shoulder that burden.

Is he improving? Yes. But not at the pace or level he should be for the intended direction. The idea of putting the belt on him and seeing if he improves afterwards is stupid. You don't drive a car before putting an engine into it, you don't move into a house until it is renovated. And you don't make a guy your champion unless you know that he can handle himself on that level.

That's why we have belts like the US and intercontinental belt. Ideally Roman would spend 2015 with one of those belts and developing the skills needed to be world champion. Because when he becomes world champion that magnifying glass is only going to be on him even more, and he needs to be ready. It's not something he can become once he is past that point.

As for who I would have booked to win this rumble:
Brock Retains: Bryan. Simple. No one better suited. Story is too good.
Cena had won: Rusev, spent all of 2014 proving he can be a upper mid to top heel.
Rollins had won: Dean or possibly Dolph.
Honestly, I don't know how you'd have Rollins and Dean be for the Championship on the grandest stage of them all. I'm not knocking down the idea of the match as it would be good, but for the title is just laughable currently.

As for Bryan and Lesnar, it'd be a good choice IF Reigns was injured. I've pointed this out on multiple occasions, but Bryan doesn't gain anything from winning against Lesnar. We're trying to build stars here, not just win for a bit then go back to nowhere.

Bryan beat Cena, Orton, Batista and HHH. If Reigns were to face Bryan, it'd be my right to believe that they wouldn't build Bryan up as a monster. Roman Reigns beating Lesnar solidifies him as a new threat and accolade to all main event stars. Can't really think of much right now since I've been up all night, but I'll think of something later.

They could have picked any of the 10 guys we like more than Reigns who have more talent and experience to win but buried them all, like Cesaro; this man should have been challenging Lesnar, I'm sure the fans wouldn't have turned (at least, not on this scale) because Cesaro > Reigns by far and if WWE didn't use him to keep Heyman plugging Lesnar on TV and nothing else, he could've been a badass face with a point to prove and we could see that it actually makes sense, and Bryan could go on to Bray Wyatt or whatever.
Man, some of you guys are really bad bookers. No offense.
I'm okay with Bryan being the second choice to win, but Cesaro or Wyatt? Please.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know how you'd have Rollins and Dean be for the Championship on the grandest stage of them all. I'm not knocking down the idea of the match as it would be good, but for the title is just laughable currently.

As for Bryan and Lesnar, it'd be a good choice IF Reigns was injured. I've pointed this out on multiple occasions, but Bryan doesn't gain anything from winning against Lesnar. We're trying to build stars here, not just win for a bit then go back to nowhere.

Bryan beat Cena, Orton, Batista and HHH. If Reigns were to face Bryan, it'd be my right to believe that they wouldn't build Bryan up as a monster. Roman Reigns beating Lesnar solidifies him as a new threat and accolade to all main event stars. Can't really think of much right now since I've been up all night, but I'll think of something later.

But then comes the issue of making Reigns beating Lesnar believable. And compelling for that matter.

Put Lesnar against Reigns and very few will cheer Roman over Lesnar. Not to mention take him as a threat to the beast. At least Bryan has 3 world titles and beating Cena, Batista, Orton and HHH to fall back on to for some cred. Which he accumulated over time. Reigns is being rocketed, which historically speaking does not work.

CFCrusader

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Man, some of you guys are really bad bookers. No offense.
I'm okay with Bryan being the second choice to win, but Cesaro or Wyatt? Please.

Cesaro and Wyatt > Reigns by far. The only thing Reigns has on them is a nice Spear finisher and DA LOOK. If Cesaro was built up as a credible face and Vince didn't take away the swing (heck, if he stayed with Zeb), he could've been built up by now to be THE GUY. He's a phenominal wrestler with amazing strength, his mic skills might not be that great but he had Zeb by his side, and besides, he showed glimpses of what could've been when he did that promo a few weeks ago and got cheered until he said "lol i don't wrestle for u guys" and as far as looking like the man goes, he looks pretty impressive anyways.

Bray Wyatt got buried earlier in the year but I think them making him look strong now was good. I didn't think he should win the RR, but him being strong is a good sign.

CFCrusader

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
But then comes the issue of making Reigns beating Lesnar believable. And compelling for that matter.

Put Lesnar against Reigns and very few will cheer Roman over Lesnar. Not to mention take him as a threat to the beast. At least Bryan has 3 world titles and beating Cena, Batista, Orton and HHH to fall back on to for some cred. Which he accumulated over time. Reigns is being rocketed, which historically speaking does not work.
True, true. Reigns can't really play the underdog and doesn't really have the credibility right now while Bryan's been a great underdog since The Authority days (then again, even when he feuded with Big Show & Henry back in the WHC days) and we all want to see him somehow overcome the BEAST with his wrestling skill, smarts and speed.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Cesaro and Wyatt > Reigns by far. The only thing Reigns has on them is a nice Spear finisher and DA LOOK. If Cesaro was built up as a credible face and Vince didn't take away the swing (heck, if he stayed with Zeb), he could've been built up by now to be THE GUY. He's a phenominal wrestler with amazing strength, his mic skills might not be that great but he had Zeb by his side, and besides, he showed glimpses of what could've been when he did that promo a few weeks ago and got cheered until he said "lol i don't wrestle for u guys" and as far as looking like the man goes, he looks pretty impressive anyways.

Bray Wyatt got buried earlier in the year but I think them making him look strong now was good. I didn't think he should win the RR, but him being strong is a good sign.
What is this "take away the swing" thing people are saying? He used it in the rumble. He can use it as a special attraction thing at PPV's. By gawd, I can't fathom some of your booking ideas on who would be a good match for who. We're selling PPV's here, this isn't ROH or NJPW.

CFCrusader

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
What is this "take away the swing" thing people are saying? He used it in the rumble. He can use it as a special attraction thing at PPV's. By gawd, I can't fathom some of your booking ideas on who would be a good match for who. We're selling PPV's here, this isn't ROH or NJPW.
Vince took away the Cesaro swing when he was getting over with it as a Real American and after he got cheered at the RAW after WM, Vince decided to put Cesaro with Heyman as heels, but then decided not to do anything with that pairing. A few awkward weeks and they break up, no Cesaro saying "why are you endorsing Brock and not helping me?" and Cesaro didn't get a feud with Swagger, instead they put RVD in there for no apparent reason.

Selling PPVs? Do big matches most people want to see - like Bryan vs Lesnar. The Beard, the Underdog, the American Dragon who just came back from a potentially career-threatening injury is challenging the 1 in 21 and 1, the Beast Incarnate, Brock Lesnar. Bryan never got his proper title reign and now he can get the title from Lesnar - and then have Rollins cash in. Prepare for the mega heat and Rollins goes from one of WWE's best heels and #1 traitorface to THE HEEL.

Danielson

Champion
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I like Rollins too, probably favourite talent wise. I'd say his promos improved, but not at the level it can be. He can and is working on it though. As for his matches, they're great as well, but he wasn't really in the Rumble match? :urm:

As for Ambrose, I agree he's had great segments, but again, he's been booked poorly ever since his breakup with The Shield. He's looked strong in a sense, but not enough to take on the beast.

Roman was always the powerhouse of The Shield. He hasn't had much to work with, they barely gave him the microphone, but he has looked strong the entire time.
Now if I was booking on who would win out of the three, it'd be Rollins or Reigns. But Rollins wasn't in the Rumble match, so I'm forced to go with Reigns.
Would I have the losing brawler face the beast, the high flying daredevil with security face the beast or the undefeated Roman Reigns? If Daniel Bryan didn't return, it'd only make sense to have Reigns. Plus, they made Bryan return in a weird fashion where they have a heartfelt promo, but have him lose some matches. What's the point? Should have made his return literally at the Rumble, then it could have worked.
You posed the question why Reigns doesn't deserve it given the opportunities of the rest of the shield.

I asked what Reigns truly excelled at that would warrant such massive one We're not talking mitb, some backstage segments, then building like Rollins and Dean. We're talking about main.eventing mania vs Lesnar.

I know Rollins wasn't in the RR match :dawg:

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Vince took away the Cesaro swing when he was getting over with it as a Real American and after he got cheered at the RAW after WM, Vince decided to put Cesaro with Heyman as heels, but then decided not to do anything with that pairing. A few awkward weeks and they break up, no Cesaro saying "why are you endorsing Brock and not helping me?" and Cesaro didn't get a feud with Swagger, instead they put RVD in there for no apparent reason.

Selling PPVs? Do big matches most people want to see - like Bryan vs Lesnar. The Beard, the Underdog, the American Dragon who just came back from a potentially career-threatening injury is challenging the 1 in 21 and 1, the Beast Incarnate, Brock Lesnar. Bryan never got his proper title reign and now he can get the title from Lesnar - and then have Rollins cash in. Prepare for the mega heat and Rollins goes from one of WWE's best heels and #1 traitorface to THE HEEL.

On my phone currently, but you want to see a Daniel Bryan go against Lesnar who has lost to Bray Wyatt consistently including last week than an undefeated Roman Reigns? You want to see that instead of Beast versus the undefeated Roman Reigns? Again, bad booking bro. You don't look at all aspects, you look at what you want. You just suggested to us that Cesaro would be a good competitor for Lesnar which proves my point. And that's based off what? Wrestling skills? Since when was Cena, Rock or Lesnar five star wrestlers? Again, this isn't the Indies, this is WWE.

Jonathan

Champion
Reaction score
I think a few of us fans wanted to see Reigns win. :pity1:

Okay then, because you want to be anal about it, what the majority of fans want.

Just got done watching the show there and it was absolutely horrendous. Why was there FOUR tag team matches, a triple threat and the rumble. And I was just looking at the match times, it came to 115 minutes total for the matches. That's not even 2 hours of matches from a 3 hour show...

Having Reigns win was completely wrong, plain and simple.

Reactions: CFCrusader

Danielson

Champion
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Ideal Scenario. Bryan wins rumble, then Rollinscashes in and is champ. Then work Reigns in throughout the year

That's how I wish this all went down, but oh well. I actually am more interested in WWE because of the negative attention. So, I'm pretty happy. I'm honestly afraid Reigns might fail.miserably that's all. We'll see, hope im wrong.

Last edited: