Edge Retirement

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Airfixx

Reaction score
Like, Noumenon said, he has brought prestige to the World Heavyweight Championship, basically carrying the championship and easily having the most hand in making it so prestigious. The greatest WWE World Heavyweight Champion thus far. Amazing runs with the WWE championship as well.

So fucking funny reading this when I consider how many times I've read Edge being slagged off for his 'millions' of transitional championship reigns actually being responsible for de-valuing the WHC!

1chiban

Reaction score
I would argue that few of his title reigns have been that meaningful. His first one was because it was the first MITB cash-in and it was great to actually see the WWE give someone like Edge the ball to run with.

Airfixx

Reaction score
Without a doubt the most memorable was NYE2006, but even then he held it for less than a month! lol

I loved the EC win when he screwed Kofi out of his spot too.

...god...

Reaction score
So fucking funny reading this when I consider how many times I've read Edge being slagged off for his 'millions' of transitional championship reigns actually being responsible for de-valuing the WHC!
Exactly what I was thinking, but it in all fairness, it was more of the WWE championship.

Airfixx

Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking, but it in all fairness, it was more of the WWE championship.

You think so?

Without checking the stats I reckon 8 of his eleven world title reigns were on SD (which I pressume to equate to WHCs, rather than WWE titles).

...god...

Reaction score
That's impossible since I can list 4 WWE title reigns off my head. Cena at NYC, RVD in some random triple threat, when Vickie brought him back at SS (Hardy was champ then I think?), and then Hardy again at the RR. Anyways, Edge is one of my favorites of all time, I grew up watching him, but between him and Batista, I can't decide whos world title reigns were shittier. We can throw Orton into that mix too but I'm pretty sure we can agree his were shittier than both.

1chiban

Reaction score
Edge and Christian were a massive part of me falling in love with wrestling - their stuff with the Hardyz, the Dudleyz and Too Cool (I still look back fondly to that Monday Night Raw when Too Cool won the tag titles) was great. I LOVED it when he beat Cena for the strap at NYR '06,and I enjoyed his feud with Cena and the Undertaker (less so, but their 'Mania match was good) but he never really screamed 'superstar' at me like others have in the past. I can imagine saying the same about The Miz if he has multiple reigns.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
What can I say about Edge that hasn't already been said? I am not a huge Edge fan, haven't been for years, and to be quite honest ever since 2008 I have been pretty bored with him. The Rated R Character was awesome at a time, but I just got kind of bored with it. That being said, I have nothing but respect for the man. He truely worked his way up the WWE ladder, from silent street walker to one of the all time greats. He was one of the few Attitude Era guys still around, which is unfortunate, but all good things must come to an end. He truely walked out on his own terms which I commend, the last thing we need is for him to try and gut out one last match and end up paralyzed or worse. Who else can say they retire as world champion and were victorious at Wrestlemania in the finale of a carrer? Not many, if any. Some say HBK and Scott Hall set the bar for the ladder match. Which is fine, but personally I think Edge & Christian along with the Hardy Boys and Dudley boys redefined ladder matches. Edge truely had a passion for the buisness not many have. His farewell speech showed that, that may have been the most emotional farewell speech I've ever seen, taking nothing away from HBK and Flair's speeches but his I felt was more emotional, it even choked me up a bit to be quite honest. He is one of the few guys in the WWE that could work a match with anyone and it would be amazing (he made Ziggler look better than he could ever make himself look). He's accomplished a lot, and nobody will ever be able to take away the legacy that Adam Copeland left, I know he must feel accomplished in achieving his lifelong dream of being a WWE superstar, he is living proof that (cliche coming) anything is possible, he should be what every aspiring wrestler hopes to be like some day in my honest opinion.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Edge at a mall back in 2009, and I will say that he is a 100% genuine person, I didn't have much time to talk with him, but the few minutes I had to talk with him I found him to be truely someone who loves what he did/does, I wish him all the best in whatever he does. I do hope he comes back in some capacity and to be quite honest It wouldn't shock me if he's brought on as an agent or trainer for the WWE/FCW.

Airfixx

Reaction score
That's impossible since I can list 4 WWE title reigns off my head. Cena at NYC, RVD in some random triple threat, when Vickie brought him back at SS (Hardy was champ then I think?), and then Hardy again at the RR.

OK, 7 out of 11 then.... I did say it was only guess work... Way too split hairs! LOL

fuzzy

Reaction score
So, who's on deck to retire next?

...god...

Reaction score
I thought he had more than 4, but I looked it up.. I got em all rofl. His best reigns I can think of is the time he slapped Cena's dad and the one where he feuded with Undertaker over with the HIAC culmination.

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
I thought he had more than 4, but I looked it up.. I got em all rofl. His best reigns I can think of is the time he slapped Cena's dad and the one where he feuded with Undertaker over with the HIAC culmination.

Yep. Their TLC match at Unforgiven 2006 was GREAT. Loved that. Oh, and who can forget HAWKINS AND RYDER? Awesome feud there as well.

noumenon

Reaction score
No doubt most of his reigns weren't that momentous or memorable, then again how many title reigns over the past decade save a few have been? What I'm saying is the guy never looked out of place with a title around his waist and always managed to create some interest around an otherwise dismal WHC scene.

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
[yt]dpfQ95XSVvw[/yt]

Pretty moving reflection on Edge's career.