Best Years for Music?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
What was the best decade, or Hell even year for music in your mind?

In my opinion, it was probably the late '70's early '80's. Some pretty damn good music around that time. Especially when Metallica came out onto the scene.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
probably showing my age once again but late 60's early 70's rock and roll will always stand above everything else... along with early to mid 90's rap

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Well yeah man, any dude my age can truly respect that stuff. If they don't, they have some serious issues. Ain't nothing wrong with being an old guy. :D

Pete

Reaction score
1. THE 80s. The birth of every conceivable genre of metal, plus hair metal, which is a massive guilty pleasure for me. A lot of shitty pop, too, but there's no denying the names that exploded in the rock/metal scene during that decade.
2. THE 60s. The Beatles, the Stones, The Who, the Beach Boys, Jimi Hendrix, early Deep Purple, plus even their radio-pop was semi-decent.
3. THE 90s. Grunge early on, then punk-pop midway through the decade, and nu-metal at the end. Almost as good as the 80s, except each scene had more shitty bands when compared to the 80s equivalents.
4. THE 70s. Proto-hard-rock and punk, loads of awesome bands again. But then there was also disco...:pukey:

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
70's= Birth of Electronic, Goth, & Industrial, with bands like Throbbing Grissle, Kraftwerk, Bauhaus, & Einsterzende Neubauten.

80's= Pop acts like Depeche Mode, & The Cure evolve the sounds of the 70's Electro/Goth/Industrial into the main stream, NIN and KMFDM are founded.

90's= Probably the largest explosion of experimental music since the 70's, KMFDM gets on the Mortal Kombat, & Bad Boys soundtracks, Kraftwerk becomes the most sampled band in history, even Garth Brooks attempts to change his image to look more like NIN frontman Trent Reznor with his Chris Gaines character.

00's= Music hits an all time low, people forget how to play instruments, and a guy who pushes play on an iPod is called a DJ. Johnny Cash even forgets how to write new music and covers nearly every major band of the 90's. Thankfully bands like Skinny Puppy, & KMFDM reunite to wipe a bad taste out of my mouth.

10's= Not much can be said yet, but this whole "Alien Looking Girl" pop is garbage.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Well this all generally comes down to your personal taste in music. I was never really a huge fan of anything older than 80's music, but that's just me. While I did enjoy the Beatles, Pink Floyd, the Stones, and ZZ Top, there really weren't many others. I fucking hate Hendrix and Zeppelin. Yeah... BOOOOOOOOO me. But I just can't stand that stuff. I'm well-aware of how good these years were for people who like that type of music and how influential those artists were to the era of music I prefer, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend I give the slightest fuck about that kind of stuff or even listen to it regularly because I don't.

1995 and 1996 were favorable years for me because alternative music and hip hop were really starting to reach maturity. Industrial music was also starting to be fused into other genres, most notably Marilyn Manson who released one of the greatest rock albums of all time in 1996. Some people see it as the decline of traditional industrial music, but I really just think people gave up on it. Also bands like Rage Against the Machine, the Fugees, and Wu Tang clan were breaking out, great artists with legit messages that actually meant something. This was actually one of the last years this type of stuff happened until 9/11 when everyone was cashing in on the tragedy that was more convenient for Americans to identify with.

1999-2000 were great years because of the explosion of electronic music genres such as trance, drum & bass, house, and re-emergence of breakbeat. Since I'm particularly fond of electronic music, these were great years for me. Though it also brought forth the explosion of boy bands and teenage prostitutes passing themselves off as music artists, so that wasn't pleasant. The electronic music scene was in full swing though, and attending raves during that period was definitely something special to be a part of before it just became an excuse to do drugs.

2003 was a fantastic year for nu metal. I probably bought more new CD's that year than any other year because I was in a band with a similar style of music and playing downtown in all the clubs and shit, so it was important to be up-to-date on that stuff. Bands like Spineshank, Disturbed, Mudvayne, and other were all going really hard that year. KoRn also made their last stand in relevance. For metal fans, this was a fun year.

2011-2012 have been good for dubstep so far, but I think it may still be some time before the genre reaches maturity. Skrillex got the ball rolling in the right direction, but I know a ton of British dubstep fans aren't pleased with it deviating so far away from grime and 2-step and becoming more influenced by rock. Hopefully it finds a balance in the next few years. I seriously doubt the genre will ever achieve mainstream praise, but I couldn't care less if it does or not.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
Well this all generally comes down to your personal taste in music. I was never really a huge fan of anything older than 80's music, but that's just me. While I did enjoy the Beatles, Pink Floyd, the Stones, and ZZ Top, there really weren't many others. I fucking hate Hendrix and Zeppelin. Yeah... BOOOOOOOOO me. But I just can't stand that stuff. I'm well-aware of how good these years were for people who like that type of music and how influential those artists were to the era of music I prefer, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend I give the slightest fuck about that kind of stuff or even listen to it regularly because I don't.

1995 and 1996 were favorable years for me because alternative music and hip hop were really starting to reach maturity. Industrial music was also starting to be fused into other genres, most notably Marilyn Manson who released one of the greatest rock albums of all time in 1996. Some people see it as the decline of traditional industrial music, but I really just think people gave up on it. Also bands like Rage Against the Machine, the Fugees, and Wu Tang clan were breaking out, great artists with legit messages that actually meant something. This was actually one of the last years this type of stuff happened until 9/11 when everyone was cashing in on the tragedy that was more convenient for Americans to identify with.

1999-2000 were great years because of the explosion of electronic music genres such as trance, drum & bass, house, and re-emergence of breakbeat. Since I'm particularly fond of electronic music, these were great years for me. Though it also brought forth the explosion of boy bands and teenage prostitutes passing themselves off as music artists, so that wasn't pleasant. The electronic music scene was in full swing though, and attending raves during that period was definitely something special to be a part of before it just became an excuse to do drugs.

2003 was a fantastic year for nu metal. I probably bought more new CD's that year than any other year because I was in a band with a similar style of music and playing downtown in all the clubs and shit, so it was important to be up-to-date on that stuff. Bands like Spineshank, Disturbed, Mudvayne, and other were all going really hard that year. KoRn also made their last stand in relevance. For metal fans, this was a fun year.

2011-2012 have been good for dubstep so far, but I think it may still be some time before the genre reaches maturity. Skrillex got the ball rolling in the right direction, but I know a ton of British dubstep fans aren't pleased with it deviating so far away from grime and 2-step and becoming more influenced by rock. Hopefully it finds a balance in the next few years. I seriously doubt the genre will ever achieve mainstream praise, but I couldn't care less if it does or not.

Saw Wu-Tang Clan open up for Rage Against the Machine in August of 1997.... BEST SHOW EVER!

Reaction score
There are no best decades or years IMHO. There is good music dating back hundreds of years and I'm confident we will have amazing musicians for hundreds of years more.

Pete

Reaction score

2003?! I don't remember it being particularly favourable nu-metal wise. I was 17/18 in 2003 and I did listen to nu-metal still, and I remember the only albums that peaked my interest were Slipknot's Vol. 3 and of course Meteora. Other than that all the popular bands were in decline, as metalcore took over. Wasn't that the year Limp Bizkit put out that god-awful Who cover?

Also, I don't listen to Zep much (or Hendrix), but when I do, I genuinely like them. In the 70s you also had Queen. I could attack you for bashing Zep/Hendrix and then mentioning Manson and dubstep as viable alternatives, but I guess that comes down to different musical tastes.

Finally, doesn't dubstep ALREADY have mainstream praise? HELLO Skrillex and Deadmau5?

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
2003?! I don't remember it being particularly favourable nu-metal wise. I was 17/18 in 2003 and I did listen to nu-metal still, and I remember the only albums that peaked my interest were Slipknot's Vol. 3 and of course Meteora. Other than that all the popular bands were in decline, as metalcore took over. Wasn't that the year Limp Bizkit put out that god-awful Who cover?

Also, I don't listen to Zep much (or Hendrix), but when I do, I genuinely like them. In the 70s you also had Queen. I could attack you for bashing Zep/Hendrix and then mentioning Manson and dubstep as viable alternatives, but I guess that comes down to different musical tastes.

Finally, doesn't dubstep ALREADY have mainstream praise? HELLO Skrillex and Deadmau5?
Deadmau5 isn't dubstep :clap: