2014 NFL Offseason Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
GN is the master of just standing back in the shadows with a dapper hat and a magnifying glass, looking for dudes to help. Thanks for saving the thread!

Now we just need things to post about. :lol1:

Reactions: GrammarNazi82

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Haven't looked in awhile but it looks like QB AJ McCarron has risen a decent bit to late 1st rd early 2nd rd pick.

Snowman1

Reaction score
Haven't looked in awhile but it looks like QB AJ McCarron has risen a decent bit to late 1st rd early 2nd rd pick.

There was another report that the rumored Falcons' trade-up to #1 was to get Greg Robinson. I'm buying that report as much as I'm buying this one. Maybe McCarron could be an early 2nd, maybe he could wind up being a pretty nice draft-day steal, but late 1st? No way!

Wonder where Dee Ford will wind up?
Also :lol1: at the Young and Thigpen signings making the front page of ESPN.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
There was another report that the rumored Falcons' trade-up to #1 was to get Greg Robinson. I'm buying that report as much as I'm buying this one. Maybe McCarron could be an early 2nd, maybe he could wind up being a pretty nice draft-day steal, but late 1st? No way!

Wonder where Dee Ford will wind up?
Also :lol1: at the Young and Thigpen signings making the front page of ESPN.

Falcon's debunked that rumor already haha. Idk we'll see, personally I like AJ.
I'd like VY as the Browns Backup :)

Snowman1

Reaction score
I like him, too. Think he can be a pretty nice sleeper for some team. And don't mind Thigpen as the Browns' backup at all.

Speaking of VY, Baltimore sent a scout out to scout Johnny Manziel, and he got attacked by a bird. That'll show him! :lol1:

(the hell are we scouting Manziel for, anyway? Probably more there for Evans)

Danielson

Champion
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I am
Anyone buying the criticism on Bridgewater? Hearing some talk about Derek Carr going before him.
Is he still a first round QB?
I buy it. Chances are one qb will be any good in the draft. I don't watch combines or college because quite frankly it's a whole different game in the pros. From what im told Bridgewater played jobbers, did great though. They say qbs are going to be great and they end up sucking, then the ones no one talks about drops later in the draft, tear it up. That's why these analysts try to look for the hidden gem qb to appear smart. There are very few locks in the draft that stick out. I wouldn't say Bridgewater is one of them, but if im a later pick in the first round its worth it to get him and watch his progression as a backup.

If I'm a gm im drafting a two sport athlete that played baseball as well. Those are the guys that impress me. Brady, Wilson, Kaepernick. 3 of the final 4 qbs in the playoffs last year were actually drafted to an.mlb team. Peyton was the odd man out, ironically todd Helton was his back up in college. One of the best hitters in the past 20 yeara

Last edited:

Snowman1

Reaction score
SI: One scout for a Qb-needy team in the top 10: "Figuring out which QB to take this year is torturous"

David Caldwell: "Teddy Bridgewater looked great at a Jaguars workout", and "We're not expecting Justin Blackmon to play this season"

Adam Schefter: "Khalil Mack could be the #1 pick". Bullshit lol

Chris Mortensen: "Johnny Manziel could go #2 to the Rams" Bullshit lol

NJ.com: "Giants have crossed Taylor Lewan off their board"

Jets, Dolphins, Cardinals, Packers all considering trading up for Ebron

Browns considering Mike Evans at #4. Buying this one assuming Watkins is off the board.

Dolphins really, really high on Ja'Wuan James. (Yeah threw that one in as a Vol fan)

Vice

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Anyone see a RB getting picked on day one? It seems like the earliest we can expect to hear a halfback's name in in the mid-late 2nd or early 3rd. Terrence West out of Towson has been shooting up draft boards. Tre Mason is also widely seen as the best back in the draft, and many mock drafts don't have his name until round 3. Man, how the league has changed.

Last edited:

Snowman1

Reaction score
Anyone see a RB getting picked on day one? It seems like the earliest we can expect to hear a halfback's name in in the mid-late 2nd or early 3rd. Terrence West out of Towson has been shooting up draft boards. Tre Mason is also widely seen as the best back in the draft, and many mock drafts don't have his name until round 3. Man, how the league has changed.

It's certainly not impossible. We could see a "reach" for a player near the end of the 1st, Cleveland comes to mind.

While the biggest issue with drafting RB's seems to be their bust potential and that random dudes wind up being Pro Bowl caliber backs (right, Alfred Morris?) running backs are INSANELY undervalued right now. Look at the 5 best teams, record-wise, from last year. Seattle, San Francisco, Carolina, New England, and Denver. 4 of which being smashmouth run-first offenses. (Not that I have to tell you that RB's are important, we know good and well lol)

Snowman1

Reaction score
Long rumor post: GO!

Ian Rapoport: The #4 pick will be either Johnny Manziel or Greg Robinson. KC talks with Alex Smith about a contract extension not going well. Clowney not certain to be the top pick, there's a good chance Cowboys take a WR.

Daniel Jeremiah: Lots of information flying around. Minnesota may take Aaron Donald at 8:

St. Louis Post Dispatch: Rams not shopping Bradford

Chris Mortensen: KC really, really wants Brandin Cooks. They're also interested in Derek Carr. Eagles want to trade up for a receiver but may not find a trade-up partner. St. Louis went to A&M to scout Manziel, they really want him.

Field Yates: Philadelphia interested in Johnny Manziel. (Cool.)

La Canfora: Rams and Vikings discussing a trade for Sam Bradford

John Clayton: Lions wanting to trade up for Mike Evans. (Dolph's will be happy if he still exists)

Chiefs want to trade down for a guard I'm not gonna try to spell, but are also interested in Marquise Lee

Miami Herald: Ja'Wuan James could be the first pick for Miami. (Bad idea.)

Chicago Tribune: Full workout for Kyle Fuller.

Peter King: Vikings think fixing the front seven is more important than a QB. Eagles smitten with OBJ (Sharpy beat you to that one, noob). Rams like Greg Robinson, Jaguars want a safe pick.

Spielman: Vikings want to upgrade the backup RB position. (You'd think they can do better than Toby Gerhart lol)

A bunch of people: Rams really like Manziel.

Koffing used Smokescreen, it's super effective.

Reactions: Vice

Vice

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Smokescreens are running wild at this point. I'm so hyped to see how the draft goes man.
Still no sure whether I'm hoping the Ravens go OT in rd 1 and FS in rd 2 or the other way around. Best case scenarios: Zack Martin/Lewan (1st) Jimmie Ward (2nd) or Clinton-Dix (1st) and that OT from Virginia who's name escapes me (2nd). But that is a HELL of a long shot.

Snowman1

Reaction score
Smokescreens are running wild at this point. I'm so hyped to see how the draft goes man.
Still no sure whether I'm hoping the Ravens go OT in rd 1 and FS in rd 2 or the other way around. Best case scenarios: Zack Martin/Lewan (1st) Jimmie Ward (2nd) or Clinton-Dix (1st) and that OT from Virginia who's name escapes me (2nd). But that is a HELL of a long shot.

2 DAYS AWAY! Get pumped... if you aren't already! :yay: So much mystery and intrigue and so many interesting possibilities! Who's going where? What QB's are going where? Is all the Teddy Bridgewater nonsense one elaborate smokescreen? Who's gonna have the balls to make an impressive trade-up? What soon-to-be infamous GM is gonna do a bunch of dumb shit? We're about to find out!

I'm seeing 5 possibilities for Baltimore at 17, either FS, OT, one of the second-tier receivers, C.J Mosley, or Ebron if he falls. I'd definitely prefer Calvin Pryor over anyone else since you've kinda sold me on Ricky Wagner and maybe just providing solid competition for him will be good enough, plus Alabama players scare me :((

The one I really worry for here is @WeWantanAttitudeEra, the Dolphins can't stay at 19. There's only 4 1st round OT's and it's looking increasingly doubtful one falls down that far.

Just Kevin

All I can be is just Me!
Reaction score
The only thing I can see happening with the Dolphins is trading Mike Wallace on draft day to move up.... I highly doubt it will happen, but he's the only player I think has enough value that we could get rid of with little consequence. The depth of the draft makes me happy though... I think we will get some good picks even at 19.. and in the 2nd round.

Status
Not open for further replies.