2014 NFL Offseason Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
I read an article that says sportac (salary cap site) expects his extension to be 5 years 95 mill 31 guaranteed. in that ballpark. the guarantees would be all up front and they would basically be able to "escape" after 2 years, but still, investing like that in Dalton is suicide
dude i'd shit my pants and laugh at the bengals for years to come. that's a straight cleveland browns move.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Jared Allen to the Chicago Bears for 4 years, 15.5 mil guarenteed upto $32 mil can be earned.

The DeSaga continues with Chip saying at the League meetings, he doesn't have anything against DeSean it's a matter of putting the team first and putting that $10.5 mil to different use, like improving our defense & ST even more while drafting young WRs in Cooks, Mathews and/or Huff. I'm really stoked for the Draft and the season, regardless if DeSean is on the team I think Chip will keep the team stabilized enough to get back to the playoffs. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the Eagles were making the move to roll over some good money over into next year. I hear the Free Agent WR and OLB Free Agents are going to be pretty studly next year so maybe we'll get some guys there. If I remember correctly literally all 3 GB WRs will be up for free agency; Randall Cobb (doubt this guy is going anywhere), Jordy Nelson (I can potentially see him signing with a different team) and Jarrett Boykin (young enough & could potentially only be looking for a cheap contract if he can't replicate some of the good things he did late last season when both Cobb & James Jones were hurt.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Page 100! And we're still in March! :yay:

At this rate we'll have 500 pages by football season starts

Just Kevin

All I can be is just Me!
Reaction score

Can you explain why this is a mistake? The Bengals have made the playoffs all 3 years since Dalton arrived, their record has gotten better every year.. his yardage and TD passes, and QB rating have gotten better every year. So they lost in the playoffs each year... is that all Dalton's fault? Maybe I'm missing something here but it looks to me like Cincy are doing the right thing by keeping a young and very good QB where he belongs.

Anyone explain why all the hate?

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Eagles trying to trade Evan Mathis for a 3rd.

why

Hey Dolph's, Reggie said in an interview that with the Peen (yeah arabhammer there it is again) and Schaub signings, the Raiders are going BPA in the draft and this won't change that.

Yay, boo.

Dolphins shopping Mike Wallace. GL HF

Last edited:
Reactions: TheArabHammer

Varus

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
James ihedigbo seems like a good fit for our secondary. I cant believe the Bears picked up Jared Allen though, 32 mill seems quite a bit for him.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Can you explain why this is a mistake? The Bengals have made the playoffs all 3 years since Dalton arrived, their record has gotten better every year.. his yardage and TD passes, and QB rating have gotten better every year. So they lost in the playoffs each year... is that all Dalton's fault? Maybe I'm missing something here but it looks to me like Cincy are doing the right thing by keeping a young and very good QB where he belongs.

Anyone explain why all the hate?
0-3 in the playoffs, he only knows how to throw to AJ Green. Look at each of his interceptions last year over 75% were in AJ's direction. He loves throwing into double/triple coverage no windows. He's a one dimensional QB, they've had the team every year to advance in the playoffs but he just cannot play well in the spotlight. The money they are planning to pay him for that deal is SOOO not worth it, it's a Tony Romo deal.

Reactions: pottsy946

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Eagles trying to trade Evan Mathis for a 3rd.

why

Hey Dolph's, Reggie said in an interview that with the Peen (yeah arabhammer there it is again) and Schaub signings, the Raiders are going BPA in the draft and this won't change that.

Yay, boo.

Dolphins shopping Mike Wallace. GL HF
He signed a longterm deal with us, but like now he's asking for more money.. highly doubt he'll get it to be honest. I'm not overly concernced; Lane Johnson, Kelce & Peters are like the key parts, we can find someone to take his spot if he's really trying to play that game. I like Evan and all but he's gotta chill unless this is all just a ploy to divert attention away form desean jackson

Just Kevin

All I can be is just Me!
Reaction score
0-3 in the playoffs, he only knows how to throw to AJ Green. Look at each of his interceptions last year over 75% were in AJ's direction. He loves throwing into double/triple coverage no windows. He's a one dimensional QB, they've had the team every year to advance in the playoffs but he just cannot play well in the spotlight. The money they are planning to pay him for that deal is SOOO not worth it, it's a Tony Romo deal.

It's good that a QB and a WR have that kind of relationship.. AJ Green didn't have over 4,000 yards receiving last year so I'm pretty sure he knows how to throw to other receivers... his TD passes always outnumbers his INTs.... I don't get the complaints... he's 26 years old, he started as a rookie... 3 years in the league, he's still green. He's still learning, Cincy management is willing to invest, I say more power to them... good to see an organization showing that much faith in a young QB based on his performance. I'll enjoy watching him continue to grow and start making better decisions. He will be that much more willing to work that much harder seeing the loyalty the team is showing to him. I say it's a good decision.. I'm not going to hate on one player because his team loses 3 playoff games... the team plays as a whole.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
I'm going to side with the fans on this one, the majority think management is nuts for what he's rumored to be getting extended to.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Bengals are good in spite of dalton, not because of him. I'll elaborate on my feeling on him when I get home.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Jeffrey Lurie said that if Chip Kelly wanted Jarius Byrd, there is no chance that he would have let Byrd sign anywhere but Philadelphia.

It speaks worlds when your college coach doesn't want you in the NFL.

Just Kevin

All I can be is just Me!
Reaction score
Bengals are good in spite of dalton, not because of him. I'll elaborate on my feeling on him when I get home.

I don't think they are in good in spite of him... I think they are good because the pieces of the team (including Dalton) put together make them good. Nobody can deny that during the regular season he does what needs to be done to win.. 11-5 last season proves that. They need to put a little more around him and work with him on handling pressure better... they have a new OC this year so perhaps he will help. Give him an above average running game so that some of that pressure of having to throw all the time is relieved and I think he will surprise people. One player doesn't make a team.

Anyway, looking forward to reading your elaboration of feelings later =)

Vice

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Hey @BatistaBomber or whatever you've changed your name to, Biscotti pointed out there's still 9 holes they want to plug on this team between some bargain free agents and the draft. Free safety, nickel corner, running back, backup QB, tight end, wide receiver, offensive line, defensive line, and inside linebacker. Is there anyone left out there you think would be a great signing or someone you'd like to see in the draft?

Seeing a lot of buzz around Terrance West (probably the Towson connection, but still. Incredible stats and he looks really good. Main concern is him coming off a 413-carry season, sheesh. Will need a year to rest his body after that.) Do you know much about him?

Well, I'm not too acquainted with Terrance West. I have heard that the Ravens really like him though. I think that the way the rest of our free agency goes could be affected by the Torrey Smith deal in the works. Assuming they get a deal with... a 1-2 million cap hit this year, (about 5 mil left in cap space) this is how I picture these holes being filled.

Free Safety/Corner: With a shrinking supply of quality players in FA, I can see the Ravens picking up Calvin Pryor or Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix at FS in the 1st. Perhaps pick up a corner in the 4th or with our 3rd round comp. pick.

Running Back: I'm just not sure where we could go with this. If we manage to pluck one off FA, I'm dreaming of Lagarrett Blount (Hope I spelled it right) at a <1 mil deal, but that may be a stretch. I suppose we're looking at some large backs in the mid-late rounds because it's not a position of immediate need.

Backup QB: Damn man, I always loved watching Tyrod Taylor play. Even when he threw picks (In the preseason bruh. No room for that in the regular season) I couldn't bring myself to jeer. But I digress. I think this position can wait until we can really find a quality backup for significantly less than 1 mil a year. "Iron Man" Joe is too durable to go spending stacks on someone who likely won't get to play 2 full games. This is another position that doesn't need to be addressed hastily.

Tight End: The Ravens have extended an offer to Ed Dickson but he's decided to wait and see if he gains any interest. We are reportedly interested in Owen Daniels.

WR: Many draft pundits have us taking Brandon Cooks in the first round, but I see us filling this hole in the mid rounds because of how deep this class is.

O-Line: Harbaugh has stated that as of today, this is how our starting line would look from left to right. Monroe, Osemele, Zuttah, Yanda, Wagner. I kinda endorse letting Wagner give it a go in the starting role. When he was thrown into the fire vs. Denver when Oher went down, he recieved a very positive run blocking grade, however, he faltered in pass blocking which arguably requires more skill. Considering he had no pro experience and just a few months of practice with the team, coupled with the fact that he performed about as well as Micheal Oher is a pretty good sign.

D-Line and ILB: Considering Ozzie's "Best player available" draft strategy, I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up an ILB or DE in the first or second round. I do expect these to be taken care of in the draft though.

Honestly, I have no idea what Ozzie will do, but history proves that he's the master at maneuvering with little cap room and drafting monsters.

Reactions: Snowman1

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
I don't think they are in good in spite of him... I think they are good because the pieces of the team (including Dalton) put together make them good. Nobody can deny that during the regular season he does what needs to be done to win.. 11-5 last season proves that. They need to put a little more around him and work with him on handling pressure better... they have a new OC this year so perhaps he will help. Give him an above average running game so that some of that pressure of having to throw all the time is relieved and I think he will surprise people. One player doesn't make a team.

Anyway, looking forward to reading your elaboration of feelings later =)
I'll start by saying I don't weight W/L of QBs nearly as heavily as most when evaluating a player. Those are team stats, and while the QB undoubtedly has the biggest role in a W/L of any of the 22 players, it takes a lot more than just a QB to win a game. There are exceptions. Brady. Manning. Brees. These guys can carry a team to wins, but most QBs do not. So you frame it like Dalton went to the playoffs, I see it more as he was along for the ride.

He was a 4 year starter in college. He will turn 27 next year, and frankly, I just don't see any room for growth in his game. He was never a "high ceiling" player coming into the league, and I think he has physical limitations (not to mention he obvious mental ones) that prevent him from even sniffing being a top 10 QB. I think he is maybe in the 18-22 range, which is where he will always be. He will never ascend higher than that from everything I've seen and know about him. The 18-22 range for me would include guys like your boy Henne or Snow's boy Flacco, both of whom are guys I feel could have easily replicated Dalton's success if put into his position in Cincinnati.

Do I think he is a starting caliber player? Sure. But investing in him like it is rumored Cincy will (5 years 95 mill) is just crazy. You cannot pay an average starter elite QB money and expect things to go well. The reason elite QBs are paid like that is because they elevate players around them, something we have not seen one bit from Dalton, who is only as good as the receiver he is throwing to.

Andy Dalton is your typical 2014 fantasy pleaser and will impress the box score watchers. If you actually watch many Bengals games, which sadly I did as someone who owned AJ Green in 3 fantasy leagues last season, and you see a really pedestrian player. Not only is he inconsistent from game to game, but snap to snap, which is not exactly what you want from your signal caller. It is obvious that AJ Green makes that offense tick, and if he had a better QB to work with the Bengals would be truly scary. Dalton is like a rich man's Mark Sanchez with all of the Blue decisions he makes.

People fail to realize just how good these Bengals teams are, and personally, I blame Dalton's mediocrity for disguising these Bengals as beasts. They had a defense ranked in the top 5 in yards and points and they were 3rd causing turnovers. They have studs all over from Geno Atkins to Michael Johnson & Carlos Dunlap off the edges, Maualuga, Burfect, Leon Hall... They put the Bengals offense into position to succeed all season long. Dalton took advantage of it some of the time.

Offensively he obviously has the luxury of AJ Green, but they also had the #2 pass protecting offensive line in football, and realistically it was probably #1 because the Broncos protections stats are skewed by Manning's release being so godly. Personally if I had the best pass protection and a top 3 WR along with some other solid weapons offensively I wouldn't expect my QB to be near the lead league in turnovers, but that is just me.

The biggest issue is, Dalton plays his best against terrible teams and shrinks to Christian Ponder levels of bad when his team needs him to come up big. As Snow has pointed out time and time again, you can win a SB with a QB like Flacco if he gets hot at the right time and you have a great team around him. The same could technically be true of the Bungholes and Cincy, but Dalton is the disappearing man against good teams. Just for a second imagine the Bengals with Cam Newton or Matt Ryan at QB. They would legitimately be a 3rd contender with NE and DEN. I realize guys like Cam don't grow on trees, but that doesn't mean you panic and throw money at average gingers.

I cannot just gloss over Dalton's postseason failures as "well he hasn't won, but its only been 0-3..."

Sorry, but when you are stinking it up as bad as he has, it needs to be talked about. The Bengals average 11 damn points per game in 3 playoff games under Dalton. And it isn't even like they are playing fucking juggernauts. They lost twice to Houston and once to SD, those teams combined to win exactly 0 playoff games against non-Bengals teams, so they weren't bowing out to the SB champs or anything. They were losing to bad/mediocre teams by playoff standards. And they weren't just losing, they were being throttled and/or losing almost directly because of how terrible Dalton was playing himself.

I know he had 30 TDs. I know he had a lot of yards. But there is more to life than the back of the football card, and if you really look at how/when he put up the big numbers it is a lot less impressive.

Throwing 5 TDs or 4 TDs at home against hapless teams like NYJ or MIN might impress some, but when he comes up so small not only in playoff games but constantly against Baltimore and Pittsburgh, his direct competitors, I just can't take the hollow numbers very seriously. His body language in big games just makes me want to puke. He looks like he doesn't want to be there. He refuses to take responsibility when he plays like shit in the playoffs. I just would want no part of him as my QB probably period, let alone for 15 mill per.

Bottom line, this Bengals team is ready to compete for things much bigger than Dalton is capable of allowing for them to compete for. He is a mediocre QB talent wise with a backup QB's mentality. He blows up when it doesn't matter and shits his pants when it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.