2014 NFL Offseason Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
OAK or NYJ have not offered Vick anything special compared to what the Eagles have given him as an estimated offer.
If they do not raise the bar or give him an opportunity to for sure start he may in fact be back in midnight green and accept his role as a backup.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
It's weird, with the Giants being in the NFC getting a wildcard seems daunting, if you guys could get into the AFC you'd be able to sleepwalk your way to one lol. Why is the disparity so large?

Does the AFC even have that many wildcard contenders? There's the AFC North trio... there's a motivated Houston with a QB... KC will take a step back but SD might improve...

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Miami is pretty solid. SD will be fine. KC will fall back to reality.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
I think the Colts and Bengals are two solid AFC teams as well. I mean we all know Dalton sucks but overall the Bengals have been decent enough.
And the Colts I mean with offensively TY Hilton, Nicks, Fleener & Reggie Wayne and then T-Rich & whomever they have running with him as long as their defense can hold some what they should be safe.

Snowman1

Reaction score
Haha, I'm writing NE, Denver, and Indy in as division winners already. The wild cards will probably be Cincy/Baltimore/Pittsburgh... other than those three, San Diego and Houston (if Bortles pans out) are the only possibilities with Miami not too far behind.

Snowman1

Reaction score
In what's gotta be the most random news of the offseason, Jim Irsay arrested for DWI.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Anyone hearing they are going to expand to 14 playoff teams? I knew it was rumored, but now it sounds like it is just a matter of time. The #2 seeds in each conference would lose their bye and instead play the #7 seed in the first round. I'm pretty neutral on the idea.

Snowman1

Reaction score
Anyone hearing they are going to expand to 14 playoff teams? I knew it was rumored, but now it sounds like it is just a matter of time. The #2 seeds in each conference would lose their bye and instead play the #7 seed in the first round. I'm pretty neutral on the idea.

Figured it was a matter of time as soon as they announced it, but I'm jaded af.

First reaction: "Why mess with a good thing? The NFL is already by far the top sports league in America for a number of reasons, so why even attempt to mess it up?"

Second reaction: "Don't mess with first-round byes or letting garbage teams in the playoffs!"

Third reaction: "Lets research this."

I don't remember much about these teams, if you guys know how many of these teams really were deserving speak up
2013:
AFC still would have had the dramatic final day, with the Miami/Baltimore/San Diego/Pittsburgh clusterfuck going on, with Pittsburgh getting the last spot. Pittsburgh would have belonged about as much as SD did if not more
NFC would have let the 11-5 Cardnals in, who are much better than any of those AFC teams up there.

AFC would have let an 8-8 Pittsburgh squad with plenty of holes in the playoffs, but worse has happened.
NFC would have let the 10-6 Bears in instead of getting screwed by tiebreakers, and Lovie may have saved his job.

2011:
AFC: The 9-7 Titans starting Matt Hasselbeck would have been a playoff team, lol I don't even remember this.
NFC: Chicago fans oughta love this rule, they would have gotten in again. But they were a mediocre 8-8 along with Philly, Dallas, and Arizona

2010:
AFC: 9-7 San Diego would have joined an all-10+ win AFC playoff scene.
NFC: Sure the NY Giants fans are a little bitter about 7-9 Seattle getting in this year over their 10-6 club.

Don't really see much of a problem a lot of the teams getting in you can argue deserved a spot anyway, but the whole "devaluing of the regular season" debate is still a little too strong.for my liking.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
I just don't see the point. How many #7 teams are going to go on the road and beat the #2 seed? Its all about money. More ad time, more tickets sold, more beer sold.

Reactions: ShaRpY HaRdY

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
This year it would have supplied us with 10-6 AZ @ CAR and some 8-8 jobber AFC team in NE. I have no desire to see these games.

Snowman1

Reaction score
This year it would have supplied us with 10-6 AZ @ CAR and some 8-8 jobber AFC team in NE. I have no desire to see these games.

Roethlisberger vs Brady would have been fairly interesting, Pitt was on a roll and we all knew NE had holes.
That Arizona team totally could have took it to Carolina.

I'd be down for that but assume it won't be the case most years.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Roethlisberger vs Brady would have been fairly interesting, Pitt was on a roll and we all knew NE had holes.
That Arizona team totally could have took it to Carolina.

I'd be down for that but assume it won't be the case most years.
Won't deny AZ/Pitt were capable, but the next question is, who wants to see these mediocre 7 seeds play the game of their lives and knock out the 2 seeds? Not really I. I want playoff games in the divisional round between the 4 best teams in each conference.

Snowman1

Reaction score
Well obviously it's all about money, just trying to silver lining this thing to death.

I'll list the matchups from all those teams up there ^

Pittsburgh (8-8) at New England (12-4)
Arizona (10-6) at Carolina (12-4)

Pittsburgh (8-8) at New England (12-4)
Chicago (8-8) at San Fransisco (11-4-1)

Tennessee (9-7) at Baltimore (12-4)
Chicago (8-8) at San Francisco (13-3)

San Diego (9-7) at Pittsburgh (12-4)
NY Giants (10-6) at Chicago (11-5)

Houston (9-7) at San Diego (13-3)
Atlanta (9-7) at Minnesota (13-3)

I wish I remembered just how good these teams really were, but just looking at records and such I'd rather them keep it the way it is. If you go 13-3, you deserve a reward for that.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Yea 2 seeds are really getting the shaft here.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
btw, anyone else think Snowman and I need a podcast that is formatted where he talks about things in the world of sports, I shit on them and then he tries to show me tiny slivers of decency in said topic but I just continue to shit on everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.