2014 NFL Offseason Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varus

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Golden Tate to Detroit... nice little tandem now with Megatron and Tate... Stafford should have at least 5k yds passing again... but will the Lions have a winning record?
I think so.resigning pettigrew makes the passing game even sweeter.lots of people disagree with the pettigrew move though

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Pettigrew makes some horrible drops with some regularity

Varus

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
What a horrible situation Carolina is in.their number 1 receiver could be Jericho cotchery if they sign him.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
He does. but I see him make great nabs too.
I don't think he's bad, just about a league average TE with some blocking and receiving ability. I think the deal was 4/16, which depending on how its structured isn't too terrible.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
I would like to see Watson at LT. He either shows potential and we might have a solution at the position or he is complete dog shit and aids us on our way to 1-15.

Either way, that report makes it seem like we've given no consideration to an OT at 5, which is wonderful news for me.
To elaborate on this, I just feel it is beyond Blue to have 'given up on' Watson already. (not that I took those reports to heart)

Fact is, we drafted a basketball player project (in the 2nd round mind you) knowing full well he wasn't NFL ready and he was a project. His physical ability hasn't disappeared, so obviously it is still up to the coaches to turn this project into a real NFL player like they knew that they were going to have to do. Nothing has changed. He barely played due to injury last season.

So yea, I say let Sporano try to mold him into a serviceable LT in 2014. Penn's fat ass was a stop gap at best, but if you are rebuilding why not test your own players out instead of getting an upgrade in the form of a stop gap who won't be around by the time you are ready to compete anyhow?

And again, if this means we go QB or DL at #5, what a blessing. I do not want a tackle at 5. period.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Wonder why the NFL doesn't take the NBA approach more often? Houston did it last year and it could pay off with either Clowney or a franchise QB. You know it's a system for success, I know it, why don't they?

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Wonder why the NFL doesn't take the NBA approach more often? Houston did it last year and it could pay off with either Clowney or a franchise QB. You know it's a system for success, I know it, why don't they?
Tanking? I don't think Houston tanked last season, I think they had a lot of hope for their season and literally everything went wrong. If you mean starting Keenum and leaving Schaub on the bench, I mean come on, the dude single-handedly lost them their first few games with his buffoonery.

edit: I also wouldn't call any of these QBs franchise QBs. Teddy could be, but he's not Peyton Manning type prospect.

Varus

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
I'm surprised anyone would want a tackle from the bucs.they were a mess last year

Snowman1

Reaction score
And totally agree, D'Z. This year should be all about seeing what you have. You won't be... and shouldn't be.. very competitive this year, so why not test out the guys you have and bring in some young FA's to see what you can do? Menelik is the perfect starter this season, it's just like what we were saying about Terrelle Pryor last year (he's still the starter atm, right?). Good philosophy to have.

Tanking? I don't think Houston tanked last season, I think they had a lot of hope for their season and literally everything went wrong. If you mean starting Keenum and leaving Schaub on the bench, I mean come on, the dude single-handedly lost them their first few games with his buffoonery.

edit: I also wouldn't call any of these QBs franchise QBs. Teddy could be, but he's not Peyton Manning type prospect.

They had Wade Phillips be the head coach down the stretch lol, sure sign. besides after Schaub imploded you can't tell me most of that team gave even 50% effort. The OL, the defense besides Watt, a lot of players just didn't perform as you'd expect.

Depends on your definition of "franchise QB", none of these guys are Peyton or even Luck, but most teams looking for QB's will be happy taking the next Eli Manning right about now. Teddy and Blake will do a good job of being a guy the team can depend on... but maybe this is just the Flacco fanboy talking again

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Roman Harper's deal with the Panther is a 2 yr deal worth upto 4.5 million, not bad for how bad they're looking at WR.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
They had Wade Phillips be the head coach down the stretch lol, sure sign. besides after Schaub imploded you can't tell me most of that team gave even 50% effort. The OL, the defense besides Watt, a lot of players just didn't perform as you'd expect.
Players not trying is hardly some organizational plot to get a top pick. The players on bad teams during bad seasons still have PLENTY of incentive because they know they are still putting football on tape and if they are out there half assing good luck explaining it to future prospective teams. Tanking to me implies a team is consciously deciding to suck. What happened in Houston was an organic and natural implosion. They didn't mean for that to happen.

As for Phillips, find me many interim coaches that are midseason replacement filler that have his resume. You won't find many. Kubiak had to go and who else would you have liked to have seen them hand the reigns off to?

Bottom line is players don't care to tank. Tanking is never a matter of the players on the court/field not trying. Tanking comes from the top and the coaches, the Texans imploded from within last season.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Roman Harper's deal with the Panther is a 2 yr deal worth upto 4.5 million, not bad for how bad they're looking at WR.
I hate to say it, but they may have peaked last season. Watching them this offseason is like a cartoon of a sinking boat with tons of holes and not enough plugs for them all. They have need after need and no means of filling them with serviceable players.

Snowman1

Reaction score
Anyway, the Julius Peppers thing is just interesting because of the Bears connection, he's done and we all know it

Reactions: ShaRpY HaRdY
Status
Not open for further replies.