Triple H vs. Undertaker Set for WrestleMania, Likely Main Events for Miami

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Triple H vs. Undertaker although a good match and it makes sense, isn't the best option. Wade Barrett however would be an even worse option. Kane is a good option, Chris Jericho was a possibility at one stage, but not it looks like he'll be with Punk. Kane v Taker one more time.

Reaction score
Personally I thought it was bad enough that Shawn Michaels fought him three times in a row, I really don't want to see Undertaker face someone he has already beaten at Wrestlemania. The big thing with the streak was that he used to have a different challenge every year, it added to the excitement. Undertaker only has a few Wrestlemania's left in him, if they're wanting to keep his streak in tact then they should toss him a new challenge, someone along the lines of Sheamus would be a good choice, he's a credible main eventer, two time WWE Champion and has the size and ability to put on a good match against Undertaker. I've always thought that Undertaker should be facing someone he has never faced rather than recycling the same thing every year.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
- A guy who is safe enough to work with Taker and not hurt possible future matches, when he hasn't had a match in a year (bye Wade)
There, you're not deeming him as a safe enough worker, which would automatically classify him as a dangerous worker.

I didn't say he was dangerous, as he has only hurt one person by my count in Henry when he was first brought to Raw. I said he was still a bit green even now, which is true as his strikes still can be sloppy and he does have awkward pauses in his matches when it isnt a guy like Randy or Bryan in there to keep it flowing. Watch HHH actually work that match again and those so called dangerous spots. Taker was never dropped for one second on the shoulder he had Tommy John surgery on and came back early from rehabbing. Trips took air deadman to pretect that shoulder in a totally different way than anyone else normally does. HHH even altered the Pedigree to stop him from hurting that shoulder which wasn't healed. Doing stuff like Trips did takes experience, percission, and can't be replicated by a number of people. It isn't a slight to say he just isn't that level of good in the ring, and that there are far better and crisper in ring workers than him, to work with Taker who will have rust and is coming off surgery into the secondary main event of the card. Do you two really believe Wade could actually outwork HHH?
Nobody is saying he could outwork HHH, so I don't see why that is relevant. That would be like saying, oh HHH can't outwork HBK so he shouldn't face Taker at Mania either.

For me, the simple fact of the matter is HHH/Taker 3 does absolutely nothing for nobody. It's not even as if it's a rubber match where they are tied to add intrigue to the match. Undertaker beating HHH to go 20-0 doesn't hold any extra signifance because like I just mentioned he's already beaten him twice previously. HHH winning does nothing for anybody else either other than his own personal ego as he has a storied career and has all but hung up his boots.

Putting Barrett in there would be a positive move for the FUTURE and would create a certified main eventer despite him losing. Question Taker's vulnerability after his long layoff and put over the Barrett barrage and him being a credible threat to the streak. Give the people a reason to care and the impression that the streak is under threat.

You seem to have the exact same mindset the WWE has, which is why guys never seem to advance to credible main eventers. I mean for god sake, THE ROCK vs JOHN CENA is the main event and people will buy the PPV solely for that so grow a pair of balls and take a chance for once, otherwise Mania will roll around again next year and we'll end up having to rely on a broken down Undertaker vs another established / brought back main eventer.

*Cue the rubbish about the Network needs this and needs that*

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
I don't get why people discounting Barrett. It makes more sense to have a passing of the torch feud than it does to have a boosting of Triple H's ego feud....

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
There, you're not deeming him as a safe enough worker, which would automatically classify him as a dangerous worker.

Nobody is saying he could outwork HHH, so I don't see why that is relevant. That would be like saying, oh HHH can't outwork HBK so he shouldn't face Taker at Mania either.

For me, the simple fact of the matter is HHH/Taker 3 does absolutely nothing for nobody. It's not even as if it's a rubber match where they are tied to add intrigue to the match. Undertaker beating HHH to go 20-0 doesn't hold any extra signifance because like I just mentioned he's already beaten him twice previously. HHH winning does nothing for anybody else either other than his own personal ego as he has a storied career and has all but hung up his boots.

Putting Barrett in there would be a positive move for the FUTURE and would create a certified main eventer despite him losing. Question Taker's vulnerability after his long layoff and put over the Barrett barrage and him being a credible threat to the streak. Give the people a reason to care and the impression that the streak is under threat.

You seem to have the exact same mindset the WWE has, which is why guys never seem to advance to credible main eventers. I mean for god sake, THE ROCK vs JOHN CENA is the main event and people will buy the PPV solely for that so grow a pair of balls and take a chance for once, otherwise Mania will roll around again next year and we'll end up having to rely on a broken down Undertaker vs another established / brought back main eventer.

*Cue the rubbish about the Network needs this and needs that*
Do you think Wade could put on a good to great match, not average but on par with the matches Taker has had with Edge, Dave, HBK, and HHH the past couple of manias?

I don't think he can come close and nothing he has done in the ring says he can, so it is a step down for Taker from a quality standpoint as well as a credibility standpoint IMO. He should have a shot at one or the other. Extremely credible like Henry or show stealing wrestling like even Cody and Dolph are capable of. The streak match isn't a throw away, it gets either the most or second most time on the ppv in recent years. It gets bigger build than the title matches in recent years. Yah it will be playing second fiddle to Rock and Cena but it is far and above anything else on that card. What has wade done to deserve that spot, or what in the past makes you think he is capable of in that ring to have a great showing on that stage?

And yeah you can call it rubbish, but anyone investing hundreds of millions will want the project to be a success, throughout the night, not jut for that match if there truly is a simulcast as rumored. HHH v Taker or v Kane means far more to the casual or historian wrestling fan than Wade vs Taker.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I don't get why people discounting Barrett. It makes more sense to have a passing of the torch feud than it does to have a boosting of Triple H's ego feud....

My beefs:

He isn't credible at all in terms of his resume or booking which is a drastic change from Dave, Edge, HBK, and HHH in recent years. They all had the track record, booking, resume, and everything you need to look like they could take him out. They all had the backing of the fans and they were good enough to have a portion of the crown behind them. Wade would be lambasted with the total crowd not giving a damn about him to even get 10% of the cheers nor would anyone be thinking he was capable of the upset. Yeah we know Taker will win, but in that moment you see fans who suspend that disbelief and hang on every count, every submission, and every blow/finisher because those guys are that big and that credible to make it happen

He isn't that good of a wrestler to steal the show, to outweigh his lack of credibility. He can't come close to Dave, Edge, HHH, or HBK performances in the ring for 10-15 minutes let alone 20-30. The match quality goes down and backwards with him from the standards it has set since 23. If you are going young, Cody and Dolph are much better options as they can work circles around him and are more over with the fans.

Quite frankly, I don't want average for the one match and feud Taker perhaps has has for the year. I want great. I am paying for great (anyone who streams it should be shot on that night, just like not watching the finals or Super Bowl on tv). They have set the standard at great opponents, great matches which wither steal the show or are right there as a close as hell second in recent years. I don't want regression.

Last edited:

SAL

Reaction score
You know why 1994 and 1995 sucked for WWE? Because they thought the way SAIYANS (PSYCH!) thinks. You can't keep foregoing opportunities to get fresh faces over. You have to put them alongside the prior generation's legends. Because when Taker's knees finally stop working, once Rock leaves again, once HHH finally spares me having to watch him on TV (like 30 years from now), this roster we have? That's the roster. You can keep trotting out the same guys and sending the message that they're the only ones who matter, or you can make an effort to integrate the fresh faces. Remember way back in the day when Wrestlemania was all about fresh matchups? Now we have folks arguing for the biggest spotlight match of the year to be the third in a trilogy. I can't listen to "he's not over," or "the match won't be good enough." MAKE THE MATCH GOOD ENOUGH. Find a guy you like, someone the crowd's responding to, and propel him. That's how this business works. I don't need to watch Hulk Hogan beat Yokozuna in 8 seconds again, thank you.

Reactions: 1 person

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
You missed me saying if you go young, go Cody or Dolph, heck go Sheamus even though he shouldn't go heel? They perform better every night than Wade in the ring and are more over. Logic says they would perform better for 20-30 minute if they are much better at it 5-10, and unlike Wade they are over and actually have a resume with some gold behind their names. Wade is the wrong youth by a mile. I'm not advocating going young still, but I am saying he is far from the right choice Internet love affair aside

Last edited:

SAL

Reaction score
I didn't miss that. I just know you think it should be HHH or Kane. I love Ziggler for the spot. I don't feel nearly as good about Cody there. It's just not believable right now that he could give a big guy a match.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Yeah I think it should be one of those two for a list of reasons. Match quality as Kane is still a better worker at 40 than Wade. They have history with him. They can put on a prolonged match that keeps the crowd hooked and make them believe the streak will end, adding to the ppv atmosphere. They can cut better promos. They are more over. I rather see Taker have a big match with all the proverbial spices and fillings than get stuck with wade whichw as the name that kept coming up in here.

I like Dolph. I'd be a damn fool to think he couldn't put on a show. I believe he would do well if given a shot as would Cody or Sheamus. I would accept him in that spot. It wouldn't be as big to me, but the match itself would easily deliver which is also as important as the hype and credibility. A great match can make that atmosphere surface during the event itself and make a guy, I know that. If it were Miz, Cody, Sheamus, or Dolph in that spot I think they would rise to that occasion and connect while performing. I just don't see that in Wade. I'm not damning all youth, just that particular one because I don't see the appeal from his past work on his resume or in that ring to make me say yeah I'd want that to be one of Takers last matches at mania.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
That's the issue need to stop worrying less about that and more about building the guys up who could be making you money in the future and have their best days ahead of them not behind them. I'm a Taker and HHH fan but they had their time to be the main focus and all that. There isn't ever gonna be another wrestling boom if their mindset is to go with the proven old guys over the now and the future and having trust in them. Maybe Wade isn't the guy to face Taker but it needs to be someone who will benefit from facing Taker at mania not someone in HHH it will do nothing for. WWE is gonna get their money regardless because of the main event everything else will have no baring on that at all so use this chance to let the people who have their best days ahead or are in their best days shine on the rest of the show.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Saiyans I guess your right, though I don't necessarily think it's Wades fault.... due too his size WWE limit him, they've done it with Sheamus as well and it's a shame because these big guys have more to them than being just a brawler.

Does anyone think Cody or Ziggler are actually ready though? I mean neither has really been exposed to the main event and if you look at the Orton situation he was in with Evolution for a while and held the WHC before facing Taker. I'm just not sure the exposure they've had would draw big for a match with Taker.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I actually can't picture Rhodes or Ziggler challenging Taker at WM28, they just don't seem ready at the moment and the size difference is massive. I can see Sheamus and Barrett facing Taker on the PPV and being big enough to carry it off and make it seem like there is a small chance that they can win, even though they won't.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
WrestleZone said:
More on Planned WM 28 Match; Hall of Famer to Ref?

The Wrestling Observer is reporting that WWE is tentatively planning a rematch between Triple H and The Undertaker at WrestleMania 28 in Miami, FL, and although it would be a rematch from last year it would technically be the third bout between the two superstars at WrestleMania.

Additionally, it's being reported that current plans call for WWE Hall of Famer Shawn Michaels to referee the bout.

I don't want them to face again, I'm just totally against it like I think I said in this thread earlier on.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
So within the space of four years Shawn will be involved in the streak 3 times and HHH 2? Sorry WWE but this isn't a good way to promote new talent if this is what happens..