Royal Rumble 2009

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chuck Taylor's Grenade

1. I knew it would most likely come down to the legacy vs. *insert name here* as the final four.

2. It was WAAAAAAY too predictable for Christian to return at the Rumble. Everybody was saying "Christian's coming back. He's gonna be number 30. He's gonna interfere in the Edge-Hardy match." The WWE knew that so now they can save his return to try and shock the fans. Also, if RVD would have came out at number 30 everyone would have been pissed that it wasn't Christian. By having RVD come out at a number other than 30 it increased the unpredictability and also gave fans the opportunity to say "Ok Christian's gonna be number 30".

3. I think Orton winning the Rumble is great (albeit predictable). It gives the whole falcon kick/punishment angle more intrigue because there are so many different ways it can go from here.

4. My only real complaint with the rumble match was that there wasn't any surprise eliminations early on. Well maybe Koslov but that's about it.

5. Why in the name of all that is intelligent and logical would the boss change the main event of his biggest spectacle to date to a squash match? I'm sorry but that would be the dumbest decision ever. Worse than anything WCW did after 1998.

Montana

I just got back from the show, and my basic thought is: What you see, is what you get. With a subpar card, you get a subpar show. They have everyone waiting outside in 5 degree weather till 7pm, It took people 30-45 minutes just to get in. Burchill vs Wang in a 2 star dark match. Wang got some ok pops. Hardy vs Swagger, decent, nothing special. I thought for sure Swagger would cheat somehow, but he beat hardy clean. 2.75 star. JBL vs Cena... As I've been saying for the past month, terrible booking, and it ended up being a terrible match. 3 stars, only because it was Cena in a title match (which is about as low as it goes) predictable ending. Hardy vs Edge was good, for the time it got. Poor ending, IMO with Hardy turning. That didn't make sense to me. It was a swerve, just to do a swerve. New Champ, as expected 3.5 stars. Also idk if yall heard it, but there were a lot of we want christian chants to start the match.

Then the Royal Rumble, started off pretty good. Then got weird when Khali was eliminated in a minute by Kozlov, Only to be manhandled by HHH, only to be manhandled by everyone else in the rumble. The whole time i was HBK is still going to come out, HBk is coming, HBK is coming.....No HBK WTF. That was BS imo. Then RVD came out and i almost jumped out of my seat. That was sweet. He got pop of the night. Some interesting matchups (Punk vs RVD, Taker vs. Jericho, Priceless vs. HHH) Pretty good rumble, 4 stars which is about as low as a rumble goes.

Three cheers for Mike Knox for seemingly lastly forever in the rumble. Several people were joking around about that. RVD, Cena, Taker got the most cheers. All the heels got their niche crowd that was cheering for them. Overall i'd give this ppv a 6.5/10 Nothing special, but the rumble match was good. Some memorable moments came out of this show. The show felt like it went by superquick so i guess i was entertained for about 3 hours. I left with that "thats it" feeling. I kinda came to see HBK, and he didn't wrestle. But the RVD surprsie almost made up for it. I think Hardy being the guy, was dumb, considering Christian should be returning very soon. But hey. They are setting up for mania, and i really didnt think they did THAT good of job for it, but they still have a few months.

The Rated R CMStar

That didn't make sense to me

If you go back and watch all the Matt Hardy promos before SS, everybody has been busier asking him about Jeff than himself, so it makes sense to play the jealosy card, specially after that promo on ECW.

The whole time i was HBK is still going to come out, HBk is coming, HBK is coming.....No HBK WTF. That was BS imo

Why? They made it clear he wasnt going to wrestle in the Rumble

Quintastic One

Reaction score
Just to elaborate CMS, because the other guy doesn't seem to be expressing his feelings properly, I think what he means is this.

If Orton wins the rumble, only to have it taken away by the McMahons, then what was the point of having him win the rumble in the first place? When so many other guys could of won it, instead they use it as a throwaway detail in a greater storyline? It cheapens the Rumble ONLY because someone else could of won it and actually used an official "Rumble" shot, instead of just naturally getting there.

I see what your saying when you say Orton is going to be the Mania title match anyway, so it doesnt matter. But the only reason it does is because if Orton is Mania bound without needing a Rumble win in the first place, then someone else should of won.

Montana

If you go back and watch all the Matt Hardy promos before SS, everybody has been busier asking him about Jeff than himself, so it makes sense to play the jealosy card, specially after that promo on ECW.

Why? They made it clear he wasnt going to wrestle in the Rumble

Jealously... Jan 2nd the hardy boys were teaming together!!! A few days ago Hardy fought Edge. Poor booking imo. (sd for ya)

Last time i checked wwe.com it said HBK was in the rumble. JBL may have said HBK wouldnt be in it, but i didn't know he made the rules. I thought for sure HBK would be in it. Maybe i didnt watch every promo with my ear to the scene, but HBK's was posted on the website for the rumble for the longest.

J

I think the reason for that Montana is that Matt was trying to keep it under the radar wanting to suprise everyone at Rumble.

Chuck Taylor's Grenade

I said it before I think it's great that Orton won the Royal Rumble. It makes the angle so much more intriguing now because instead of having Orton come out on Raw, get punished and then go on to a Mania main event storyline push now we have a lot of different options. Such as:

1. McMahon tries stacking the odds against Orton to get him out of the main event only to fail.

2. McMahon tries punishing him but gets stopped by Stephanie McMahon and eventually it's revealed that Stephanie McMahon orchestrated the kick in order to wrest control away from Vince

3. McMahon tries punishing Orton. Orton begs for mercy or appeals to his business side by saying that he could be jeopardizing the main event of his biggest show ever.

4. Vince and Orton swerve everybody and reveal they were in on it the whole time. May or may not throw Stephanie in the mix as well.

I think the whole Matt Hardy turning on Jeff was rushed booking because they needed a swerve and knew that if Christian showed up everyone would be like "whooptidoo big surprise Christian showed up" since that's basically all everyone talked about since the whole thing started. Does it make sense? No but it's WWE.

The Rated R CMStar

Shawn Michaels was never scheduled to be in the Rumble, and I am sure he wasn't on the participants listed in WWE.com

The closer he came to being in the Rumble was that JBL told him that if he became champion HBK would be in the RR.

Moonlight Drive

Imagine the promos :yawn:

Average PPV. The 2007 & 2008 Rumbles totally eclipsed the 2009 match by an unfathomable amount. Edge vs Hardy was the best match on the card, although am I the only one left thinking they should've teased tension, even if it was a tiny bit? I know they were going for EPIC SUPRIZE~! but it just seemed so out of place. Not one time did they mention Matt being jealous, it was always how proud he was.

JBL vs Cena wasn't that great of the match, but the storyline has developed a lot. It was played perfectly by Shawn, initially I thought it was over, but then he got Cena as well.

6/10. More about progressing storylines and feuds for 'Mania then anything else.

Reaction score
Sounded like the show was a bit plain and predictable. I honestly see no shock value in Matt Hardy turning on Jeff. I just didn't feel it!

John Cena vs. JBL was ultra-predictable. Similar with Jack Swagger, as it was a case of Matt Hardy doing his last deeds as an ECW employee by pushing their rising star over.

I observed John Morrison as #1 in the Royal Rumble, and how he earned some offense against both Triple H and Chris Jericho. His stocks are rising.

Beautiful portrait to finish - Randy Orton looks the part, finger points to XXV logo and pyro pops away. Awesome!

7/10 - Now it's time to build Wrestlemania storylines!

Jaybsty

Reaction score
I think the whole Matt Hardy turning on Jeff was rushed booking because they needed a swerve and knew that if Christian showed up everyone would be like "whooptidoo big surprise Christian showed up" since that's basically all everyone talked about since the whole thing started. Does it make sense? No but it's WWE.

why do you get the feeling everything WWE does is for the smart fans and since when does this forum account for 'everyone'. most people who don't read news on the internet probably have no idea whether cristian is going to return.

Moonlight Drive

I'm sure the 'We Want Christian' chants were pure coincidence then and the entire audience were smarks.

Jaybsty

Reaction score
I'm sure the 'We Want Christian' chants were pure coincidence then and the entire audience were smarks.

if you've ever been to a live event you'd realise that once a chant starts pretty much everyone joins in. they were probably started by smarks.

Chuck Taylor's Grenade

why do you get the feeling everything WWE does is for the smart fans and since when does this forum account for 'everyone'. most people who don't read news on the internet probably have no idea whether cristian is going to return.

Because wrestling companies (WWE and TNA especially) are always trying to swerve the smart fans. Sometimes it works (see John Cena in last year's Rumble). Sometimes it doesn't (see anything Russo's tried in TNA).