Rock Addresses CM Punk and Randy Orton

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Again and I can't say it enough it isn't a double standard when you compare the guys he brought up to Rock. Jericho is a guy who takes breaks from wrestling cause he gets burned out and always ended up going back both times and could be coming back again. Wrestling guy to the core at that no matter what he does. Taker don't really need to explain this one but wrestling guy to the core. Austin despite being in movies always comes back for WWE when they need him and like I brought up was forced to retire and didn't walk away from wrestling.

Then look at Rock a guy who left WWE for Hollywood and at times distanced himself away from wrestling even not wanting to be called The Rock. Please note that I do understand wanting to do it to try and be taken more seriously as an actor but at the same time can def see why a wrestler who is a pro wrestler to the core would take that as a slap to the face. WWE wanted Rock to show up like Austin does every now and then but Rock usually is too bothered to do it and the few times he did it was via satellite. All the while claims he still loves WWE despite seemingly ignoring it for a while there.

So way he views Rock as the way Rock carries himself not as a wrestling legend but as a celebrity in hollywood. How can anyone not understand how that would not rub a guy who prides himself as pro wrestler not a entertainer wrong? Whether we actually agree with it or not I'm speaking from Punk and guys in the back point of view. Some love the money so they're willing to not give a damn how Rock carries himself. Punk as he said himself isn't a money guy so he isn't gonna let money change how he still feels about the guy. I can't be mad at a guy who sticks to what he believes in just because money is involved.

I'd bet you anything that it was any other wrestling legend you can think of that was in Rock's spot he wouldn't have the same view because Rock isn't like the other legends in how they are wrestling guys and wouldn't ever try to go out of their way to separate themselves from it to help what they do outside of it. I'm not mad at Rock personally for how he handled the situation but I do see how someone in that company would feel that way if their main worry wasn't about the money (Punk) is all I'm saying.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I see where Punk is coming from and I get it.

I'm sure he no doubt understands the impact on the business and the WWE's "bank account" the Rock's return makes, but that's not really his point.

He's clearly upset that the Rock's return is holding not only himself on the middle of the ladder, but other superstars that, oh I dunno, SHOW UP every week and are still working towards that Wrestlemania main event slot one day. And to Punk, 2011 almost seems like a throw-away year because they all knew over a year in advace who was headlining WM28. That's definitely something to be upset about if you're a wrestler in Punk's position. I don't see how his comments would make anyone lose respect for him. I'm a little surprised he's this forth-coming about his feelings on the matter, but certainly you can't knock him for being honest.

Rock returing is definitely a draw that will generate WM buys, it's "great for business", and all that noise... but Rock has had his day. He's headlined 4 Wrestlemanias ffs. And Punk isn't alone in believing WWE should be earning those buys by building the new era instead of digging up Attitude era legends and pulling ratings on nostalgia.

The one fault in Punk's logic... suggesting Austin should return. That... really doesn't help your argument when you're trying to bury the very notion of past stars returning. He tries to cover it up by praising Austin's work rate, but there's certianly no denying Punk has a personal issue with the Rock. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it was just a poor choice of words. He might come off as a little bitter... maybe I dunno, being mad that it's Cena/Rock, not Punk/Austin, but I'll give Punk the benefit of the doubt. If he's bitter about anything, it's that he's not main eventing Wrestlemania because of The Rock and nothing more.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
The Austin/Rock thing is like what I said it all comes down to what kind of guy that gets respected more in the wrestling world. And if you ask most guys backstage who they respect more as a wrestling guy Austin is gonna come up pretty much all the time because he's never distanced himself from wrestling while Rock obviously did but yet comes back and act like he never did distanced himself. Goes back to Punk's original comment about him in one of his promos saying he sees him as a phony just like a lot of people see people in hollywood as a phony. Thought more people on this forum would be able to relate to that view but guess not.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
If if wasn't Rock, it would be someone else ahead of him main eventing. He has never main evened that event and want as long as they are selling to the casuals, celebs, and outside fans. He would been playing backseat to Cena v Taker most likely.

I just don't get how you can complain about him stealing the spotlight from guys who are there every night and the talk about wanting Taker, Jericho, or Austin. They would be the same exact case, and they would take back far more money than Rock is doing now as he has received a whopping 2 checks. Heck Punk himself is guilty of feuding with a guy who hasn't been there the better part of two years on screen or working house shows, in HHH (would have cashed some checks off Nash too if he was medically cleared at the time). They stole time that belonged to other people. They stole main event money. He was on the beneficial end of that so he shut his yap ever since in regard to him, especially after the voice of the voiceless was owned in their little back and forward promos.

Let me put it to you this way. If by some chance Cena blew his knee out tomorrow, and they slid Punk into that spot, do you really think he would complain? I think he would shut the hell up, tell the boys in the back who were jealous he doesn't give a fuck how they feel, work the match, love the press, and laugh himself straight to the bank and history books.

Going to ask this again: Do you know that it was WWE who didn't pick up Rocks contract on its rollover date years ago? They let it expire, shocked him by doing so, and they probably pissed him off at the time.

Heck he isn't even under any legends deal like Austin who has to come when they call because he is obligated, unlike Rock, Trish (well she has one now after TE), or JBL for instance who choose to show up on their own.

Last edited:

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Totally ignored my point cause if you didn't then you would realize how much your post has nothing to do with what I said. You keep bringing up money time and time again about a guy who just uses money to live rather than to maintain a big lifestyle or something.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Meh... Rock's not a phony though, that's the problem. I find it very hard to believe Punk's issue with The Rock revolves around the fact he doesn't live, breathe, and shit wrestling anymore as much as Punk does. I'm sure it has something to do with it, but the main reason is definitely Punk not being able to get his due at the event every wrestler on roster works their asses off all year just to get a spot on.

And Punk's been white hot all year and if there ever was a year for Punk to headline Mania, this is definitely it. Under any other circumstances not involving a Rock return, Punk would definitely be on top of the bill. However, WWE chose, practically out of the blue, to have Rock headline instead. No matter how hard he works or how over he is, he's not headlining Mania as he rightfully should be. OH AND BY THE WAY... Rock doesn't really focus on wrestling much anymore like he does. That's about how I'd imagine those two issues really weigh for him.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Austin left the company high and dry. He left them because he refused to do a job. Rock stepped in and filled his spot in ahead where he had no dates left and was scheduled for off time. Neither are saints when it comes to being wrestling business first

And the only reasons Austin doesnt distance himself is that he got a Legends deal when he was forced to retire and is obligated to show up when they call so he can keep collecting his check and because he is a flop in Hollywood. If Austin didn't bomb so bad and have the first and only theatrical movie release in the history of company to not even turn a profit, he may have just as well distanced himself to be taken seriously in entertainment. Austin failed where Rock didn't and he did so hard even in comparison to the likes of Cena and Kane.

Yeah it is about money too when the guy knows he would love to be in the shoes of Cena and wouldn't be preaching if he and Rock were set for 28. He knows that and that is why he is politicking and pandering to get Austin or at the least Taker. You are a money guy when you hold off for stuff like shirts, Cult of Personality, magazine features, and so on. You don't take time or sign off to take away the focus from that talent who he feels is slighted to feud with Triple H and Nash on two shows and ppvs if you are set on being the voice of the voiceless and leader in the back who wants change and to stop relying on these old names, when you have a contract negotiation set in your favor because you suddenly became a hot commodity. He is just an attention whore like Rock and the other big time guys, just they don't hide it or call others names out to put the focus on them stealing spotlight and time so they can be called cool.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Meh... Rock's not a phony though, that's the problem. I find it very hard to believe Punk's issue with The Rock revolves around the fact he doesn't live, breathe, and shit wrestling anymore as much as Punk does. I'm sure it has something to do with it, but the main reason is definitely Punk not being able to get his due at the event every wrestler on roster works their asses off all year just to get a spot on.

And Punk's been white hot all year and if there ever was a year for Punk to headline Mania, this is definitely it. Under any other circumstances not involving a Rock return, Punk would definitely be on top of the bill. However, WWE chose, practically out of the blue, to have Rock headline instead. No matter how hard he works or how over he is, he's not headlining Mania as he rightfully should be. OH AND BY THE WAY... Rock doesn't really focus on wrestling much anymore like he does. That's about how I'd imagine those two issues really weigh for him.
You really think he would headline with no Rock? And who would he face?

I can't see any situation where they didn't go Cena-Taker personally when they have so much riding on the ppv, with the network set to debut at that time.

Maybe he and Trips work the secondary main event, but that is still a case of a guy who isn't out there every week or at house shows working as Trips has barely wrestled in two years

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Austin didn't flop in Hollywood. Let's just get that out of the way now. He's still making movies actually. Apparently someone wants him.

And not all Rock's movies were "gems" by any means. Neither of them are great actors, Rock just gets more attention because he has a better stage name. Period. I would seriously love to hear your justifications for Rock being an accomplished actor, PSYCH. You don't have any because there are none. He's never won any acting award with signifficant merit in his career and he never will.

Secondly, I don't see how a ridiculous comparison of Rock and Austin's mediocre movie careers matters the sightest in this conversation. Their supposed allegiance to wrestling these days has very little to do with anything. And if you seriously think there is any other reason for Punk to shoot on Rock the way he does other than Punk's own spot on the card, then you're delusional. He pokes at Rock for that crap because it's a way in. It's a means to slander the guy that's holding him down. Period. And though that might not make sense to you, it's fairly obvious.

Reactions: 1 person

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Rock has grossed over a billion dollars on his movies. He is in a leading role or secondary one in most of them. Austin is an extra, straight to DVD, or minor guy in his films. The two both made WWE/Fox films. Rock turned a profit in all 3, a great profit. Austin on the other hand was the guy who didn't even make back what the film cost (20mil which is low budget) even with rentals until earlier this year. They are nowhere near the same as it comes to being actors. Austin would never get offered the Rocks position in most movies, and at the end if the day still being in Hollywood and being offered little roles in theatrical releases or starring DVD roles isn't a big deal, if it is then Kurt Angle is a successful actor as well.

The problem I have with Punk is that he is slandering the guy out of jealousy. He took the main event spot. He got tv time. He headlined the Survivor Series ppv. So what, it is a business. Rock is where he is at because he earned his spot, his fame, and his reputation in and out the ring. A guy like Rock is the reason there is a WWE and not a WCW today. It makes me shake my head to see him whine and bitch about a guy not caring about the company or business, when said guy has a lot more to lose than to gain by being there and isn't even getting compensated for most of his appearances which boost ratings, sell tickets, increase merch profits, increase website and video game demands, and increase buys while getting 2 freaking checks. A guy who doesn't care wouldnt do all the stuff his doing. A guy who doesn't care would want his compensation for his name and image being used outside of two, will be three ppvs. A guy who cares pumps revenue into the company while basically getting little back and gets viewers, so guys like Punk can make more and have more people watch the on tv and ppv. To me him bitching about whether someone loves the company or is doing what is right for business is stupid, when the guy is obviously helping Vince and the company, and to promote himself vs Austin, Taker, or Jericho who all aren't out their busting their ass either or to make moeny and use up time to feud with Nash and HHH makes him a hypocrite.

I get that he wants that top spot and billing, but at the end of the day my point is that if it wasnt Rock, it would be someone else there over him anyhow, no matter how hot he is. The fact is they have too much riding on the network and mania together to trust him with the ball. It was going to be Cena and a big name or versus Taker because no matter how good Punk is or how hot he gets, they can't afford to crap out that night. Hell the reason Rock worked Survivor Series was because they had every major cable and satellite exec there to sell the channel, so he came through and fit it in despite being obligated to GI Joe and another film because it was for the good of he company. To question whether he gives a fuck or paint him as not caring and just being there to just collect a check, do his thing, and leave is a douche move on Punks part, jealousy, pride, goading him into a match, or for whatever reason and motives he has

Last edited:

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG

Yeah it's not all to do with it wasn't saying that but I think it ties into both hence why he wouldn't be ranting like this if Austin or whoever was in that spot instead. Keep in mind in his promos he has brought up his dislike for guys who just ended up doing this cause something else fell through or have a good look which Rock is that cause he originally wanted to be a football player. So it's a guy who wasn't even looking to do this until after College despite his family history got in it became big then left it and distanced himself from it that Punk has a issue with coming back and being in the main event of the biggest. When you look at it like that I can see how he feels that way about Rock but not about a guy like Austin, Taker.

And PSYCH back to the money thing this is a guy who basically barely spends him money on stuff so much to the point if he retired right now in his words he'd still be set for life so guy is cheap as fuck with his money to care so much about it. Most he splurges his money on is fucking comic books lol.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
And you don't think he has a reason to be "jealous"? I know for damn certain I'd be pretty pissed off if I had been busting my ass every single day for the past 5 years with a company and doing one HELL of a job at it, only to be pushed aside for a "former employee" who is already made, already paid, past his prime, and has already done everything he can do for WWE legacy-wise. And big WOOP on that "it's a business" garbage. WWE has proven for the past 7 years they are perfectly capable of selling out humongous arenas and generating ridiculous ppv buys without the Rock. There was no emergency here, no "OMG WE NEED ROCK ALL HOPE IS LOST" mentality from WWE like you're making it seem. They could have used Punk v. ???? and got the exact same result because it's WRESTLEMANIA. It sells on it's namesake alone like Rock does in every single one of his shitty movies.

Personally, I would rather see Mania be the stage for the new stars to be born, as it has been it's entire existence. WM28 will be the very first Mania where it's about the exact opposite. The banner may as well read "BUY OUR SHOW BECAUSE WE GOT ROCK BACK". Horrible.

And they go the obvious route with pitting him against Cena because he's the biggest star in the company, which means every other person on the roster will engage in impromtu 6-week rivalries that won't mean fuck all after Mania. That's exactlly why Mania has sucked pretty hard for the past few years save an Undertaker match.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
For the last couple years it has been Mayweather, Trump, Rock, Rock/Hogan, Taker/HBK, Rock/Austin, HHH/Batista, and HHH/Cena that has been some of the most bought Manias. This year the WWE isn't just selling Mania. They are selling the network. They called every major exec for satellite and cable to MSG and Survivor Series to sell that network. They got Rock to agree to sell the thought or using is return and first one on one match to sell the network and ppv, as most reports have them using that WM to launch it. It is an emergency in a sense because they have a lot riding on Mania doing well so the Network isn't the XFL2.0. They have taken out large loans, leased building, bought equipment, digitized film, and everything else so it has to be a success, You bring out the big gun to insure that as long as he is willing and Rock is the biggest and most transcendent gun in the history of the business.

As for Punk, it is sour grapes. Yeah he busted his ass for 5years. He got paid. He got rewards and accolades up his ass, only to not sell or draw until this summer. It wasn't like he was magically looked over for most of his career because he wasn't as they gave him TV time, world titles, ECw, IC titles, briefcases, tag belts, stables, triple crown, and feuds/matches with stars who were money players like Rey/Show/Jeff/Batista/Taker/Edge. at the end of the day though he didn't get them shit back in return early in their investment. He wasn't a ratings guy early on. He wasn't a merch mover. Let's NOT act like he was and just got overlooked and passed over. He is hot now, he sells now, and fans don't change the channel on him anymore these past couple of months. That is great for him and the company as they will get something on their investment, and he will make money and truly be remembered.

All that said, you have to keep perspective. Punk isn't being told we don't give a damn aobout what you are doing now. They are rewarding him with merch, tv time, match time, Living Color, and so on. He is however being told you can't be the attraction on a show his chances of being the attraction on were naturally slim because a normal WrestleMania has the Streak and celeb tie in anyhow. The way I see it he should be looking forward to being what would be considered the 3rd main event on the show which usually has the streak and two other attractions as its main selling point anyhow, especially since Rock will only bring in more eyes to watch him apply his craft and possibly gain more fans of his work, who otherwise would have never gave him the time of day. And I still believe that if he was in Cena's place he wouldn't say a word and would be smiling his ass off saying screw the other guys and them being grunts

Last edited:

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
They could have used Punk v. ???? and got the exact same result because it's WRESTLEMANIA. It sells on it's namesake alone like Rock does in every single one of his shitty movies.
Absolute nonsense. You're telling me Punk/Miz or Punk/ADR would be a hit in the same way Cena/Rock is?

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
WrestleMania XXVII generated 1,059,000 PPV buys

WrestleMania XXV generated 960,000 PPV buys

So the rock drew approximately 99,000 PPV buys when he hosted the show?

I don't see how thats enough to claim that the rock made that huge an impact on these two Wrestlemanias.

Will this mania have even more buys? I'm sure it will. Will they all be because of the rock? No.