Rock Addresses CM Punk and Randy Orton

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
No impact? Lets see in one promo where WWE had no plans in creating this huge push cause he was legit done with the company all the way up until the day of mitb threw him out there and told him say whatever you want to and cut one of the best promos that has been in the WWE in a long time that'll still be brought up and talked about for years to come that got him praise from so many people within the biz and got non wrestling outlets talking about WWE for something that happened without a celeb being involved for the first time in idk how long. In the process created a character that could point out issues in the company that internet fans have been bitching about for years and went from a uppercard guy who was gonna leave the company to the second biggest face in the WWE leap frogging over Orton who had that spot. And this is the same guy you said had a ceiling of only being a uppercard guy and that sure turned out well.

Last I checked that's not something forgettable. I get you're a huge Rock fan so Punk's comments rubbed you the wrong way or whatever but don't start trolling now and act like what Punk did isn't gonna go down in wrestling history. The full impact of what Punk is doing won't be full realized until some time as with every other thing that has happened with stars in wrestling. No one is sitting here saying Punk is god or is gonna be as big as The Rock or anything so no need to totally shit on the success Punk has had in a short amount of time that whether you want to admit it or not is impressive.

SAL

Reaction score
SAIYANS' argument is that Punk should stop doing the thing that made him popular because he's not popular. Stew on that for a minute.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
There is a time and place to talk shit, not after Rock has returned and put cash in your pocket and more eyes on you Han you would have had. The radio is not that place . Just a douche move.

And the whole he didn't speak to me thing is silly. You go to the vets, they don't come to you. You aren't his peer or close to being his equal so you go to him and be the one to extend the olive branch. Rock isnt there to be one of the boys. His peers are all mosly gone, as the locker room is filled with kids who are more interested in twitter, shooting, and collecting their Cena brand carried checks. It just isn't how locker rooms work, and makes no sense to shoot on the guy who has only been paid twice by WWE yet is there raising buys, ticket sales, and viewership to help the product as a whole

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I don't agree with most of what he put, but I do agree with the principles of what psych is saying about the lockeroom etiquette. Obviously the times have changed since, but there was a piece on the recent Shawn/Bret rivalries DVD where it talked about when Shawn got into the WWF and how the guys were supposed to go up to veterans, leaders or whatever you want to call them and shake their hand and say hello to them every night or something.

I'd like to think that still exists to a degree but I doubt it does, so no matter what Punk thinks of Rock, or his situation or how he thinks he's the best in the world, he should be the one introducing himself to Rocky. Now this may sound extremely egotistical but I think on that night at Survivor Series, Rock only needed to introduce / say hi to the people who he felt mattered, Cena/Miz/Truth, the higher ups, friends and guys who are still there from 7+ years ago. I personally see no reason at all for Rock to introduce himself to Punk, he doesn't know the guy, he doesn't need to know him and he's not working with him in any fashion, not to mention Punk likes to trash him whenever he gets the opportunity to.

What I also find funny in that interview is it fails to mention whether Punk himself attempted to make any effort whatsoever. Did he go up and say hello to Rock and just get ignored, or is he just making a mountain out of a molehill and trying to generate more of a buzz for himself at Rock's expense. One thing I read on WF which gave me a chuckle was they mentioned that after Punk/Hardy had feuded and Jeff had left the company and started making those weird videos with Matt, they mentioned how Punk wouldn't speak to one of them at all backstage which was Jeff I believe. Now I don't remember the exact details, but I do seem to remember something along of those lines quite vaguely which is quite funny considering.

To sum up briefly, Rock has earned his status in the company so whether he's been away 7 days, 7 months or 7 years he doesn't need to introduce himself to anybody, much like Undertaker, Kane & HHH to name just a few don't need to when they return from their hiatuses.

Last edited:

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Yeah he ignored Jeff and wouldn't speak to him or thank him for staying on to put him over. Jeff did a shoot on him talking about how he stayed because Vince asked him to put Punk over after his contract expired, yet Punk shunned him, was ungrateful, and kicked him when he was down in public after the bust.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Re-read the report tho it was about Rock not interacting with ANYBODY backstage not just him. The issue here is not the old school way of introducing yourself to a legend the issue here is you'd think with Rock saying he wants to make money for everybody that he'd interact with people backstage but apparently all Rock is doing is coming in, going to his room until it's time to go out there and then he's gone. If this was a case of Rock being down to earth with everyone else but just ignoring him then I'd agree with you guys. However it's apparently Rock ignoring everyone so it's kind of a I'm showing up to collect my paycheck kinda deal with a I'm over you guys type thing and of course any wrestler is not gonna be happy about that. Punk of course is the only guy most of the time who is gonna open his mouth because if he gets asked a question he which he did he's not gonna bullshit around it cause he doesn't work that way.

If Rock is really acting like this then I'm surprised cause this is something you'd expect from a guy like Hogan. Even guest host actors and actresses who have came in have interacted with the WWE guys backstage. So I think what exactly was said is being ignored because this is not just oh Rocky wouldn't speak to me it's Rocky is acting Hollywood in the same locker room he used to be apart of for years before he was a movie star.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Rock doesn't get paid for anything but ppvs though, Vince said it to his share holders. He isn't there collecting a check most of the time. And yeah it comes back to why should he stop and talk to a young roster with no true peers of his own. There is HHH backstage and Vince, but reports have said he interacts with them and was the one who pitched working before Mania for the company to get extra publicity. Kane and Taker aren't there. Trish, Austin, Jericho, JBL, Edge, Batista, Dudleys, Hardys, and so on aren't there. Rey isn't there, and yeah their families do know one another according to an interview rock did on wwe.com years ago. Big Show just recently returned, as did Nash.

Who is there from when he left? Christian who he got over with the whole Peeps stuff years ago. Orton who he put over at WM and still has been bashed by in public. Cena who he had never crossed paths with before this year. Booker, King, JR, and Cole who are in the booth. Goldust who is an agent. Maybe a ref like Chioda. That is a very small group of peers.

There aren't even any divas from his era in the company.

The fact is the company is totally different in the locker room. As a young guy you go to him. He isn't going to stop for Dolph, Punk, Ryder, Morrison, and so on. He might for Rhodes or DiBiase sure because of who their family is. He isn't the young guy who is unproven. He is the Rock. He is the biggest star the business has ever produced. You want his attention or his time, then go up to him and introduce yourself. That is respect and how things are done. In Rocks day, Holly, Taker or JBL would torment you and put you in wrestlers court for not following that code and respecting a legend coming back, whether they liked the guy or not, because it was about respecting what he had done and the foundation he laid for the company.

He has a job to do with Miz, Truth, and Cena. He isn't one of the boys and you can't expect him to magically blend in with them. If you want his attention or time you go to him, that is just the proper channel and how it is backstage.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
It's not about him acting like one of the boys the point is to not come off as hollywood around the people who is he saying he wants to help out. Not saying he owes anybody back there any respect or should go shaking everyone's hands but like I said if big time names like Mayweather and Shaq and such can interact with the guys in the back then why can't Rock given he was a wrestler himself? That's all I'm saying and that's why I got what Punk's point was. Nothing to do with who his peers are or anything.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Well it never says he doesn't interact with anybody backstage, but that's what Punk is at least trying to hint at. I'll keep on saying it until i'm blue the face, but I don't for one second believe that Rock never interacted with anyone. He walks past Mark Henry backstage at Survivor Series, a guy who he essentially launched his career alongside in the Nation Of Domination and i'm meant to believe they never interacted. Same deal with Big Show and many of the other names Psych mentioned. I'll take The Rock's actual reputation over the word of some guy who sounds incredibly jealous, talks shit freely and bashes the company at any given opportunity.

I guess it's just a case of who you believe the most.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Mayweather and Shaq are fans of the guys. They interact just like your average fan who gets to see their favorite stars. It is a totally different scenario to point out guys who are stars and happen to be fans like Snoop, Floyd, and Shaq.

Rock was a wrestler. He is a HOF lock. He is one of the top draws ever. He is a guy who has won every title of importance. He helped killed WCW and basically put the death nails in them in 2000. He is the guy they grew up watching in the squared circle, not hte other way around. He is no outsider to the business there for a visit. He is the business. His blood runs deep in the business. You as a young wrestler owe him that respect to say hey, or at least should hot have the gaul to expect him to go out of his way and introduce himself to you and strike up conversations. That isn't how it is done in the back in WWE, never was as multiple people have said before. There is a code to be followed when a legend comes back, they even highlight it on Hogan Knows Best when you see guys like Umaga, Chavo, and other guys come to him back stage as he enters and shake his hand to say hello, how are you doing. It is just what is expected and how things were done in the pre-tweet happy young age roster

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Putting this in here because it's more of Punk chatting about The Rock surprise surprise

WWE Champion CM Punk spoke with Jon Robinson of ESPN.com over the Survivor Series weekend. Here are some highlights:

Jon Robinson: Wrestlemania, it's The Rock versus John Cena. What do you think about him coming back and getting the main event spot when most of what we've seen of him throughout the year has been via satellite?

CM Punk: I don't know if it's some weird vanity project for him to come back and fraternize with us little people, but I appreciate it. If it puts more money in my bank account, that's cool, even if I'm not a money guy. I'm very passionate about wrestling. This is what I do. I'm not leaving to go film movies. It's just me and the rest of the crew, the men and women of the WWE who are on the road constantly, and I'm not the only one who is, I don't want to say bitter, because I get it, it's a business move where Dwayne comes in and people buy some pay-per-views, but it's the attitude that gets to me. He's very bourgeoisie Hollywood, and I just wish he would say hello to people backstage and not act like he was above everybody. Cena doesn't act like that. Cena sits and talks and fraternizes with everybody, but Dwayne just can't be bothered. Then again, I don't know if anyone really wants to hang out with him. He was in the "Tooth Fairy." If he's so good at what he does, why doesn't he impart some of that knowledge to the young guys and help out? I guess I'm just trying to figure out why he came back. I don't think it's money. I think he's OK money-wise, so I don't know.

Jon Robinson: Looking ahead to Wrestlemania, there's Rock versus John Cena, but I'd actually rather see Austin versus Punk. Will we ever get a CM Punk versus Steve Austin main event?

CM Punk: I would rather see Austin/Punk, too. I would love to poll everybody who is going to order Wrestlemania and ask them, what would you rather see. Would you rather see Cena/Rock or Stone Cold/CM Punk? I'm biased, obviously, but I think we'd have a landslide victory. It's up to Steve, really, but he's certainly not going to do it this year. Honestly, if Steve Austin comes back to wrestling, he should be the main event of Wrestlemania, but he can't right now, because Dwayne is. I think Dwayne would get a little butt hurt if Steve took his Mania spot, but then at least Dwayne would understand how the rest of us feel. So I know that's not going to happen this year, but I would love for it to happen next year. I don't want to say it's a goal of mine, but it's definitely something that would be challenging and fun to do. I think Austin was the best worker for many, many, many, many, many years, and that's even pre-Stone Cold. "Stunning" Steve Austin was amazing.

Jon Robinson: So with Austin out this year, who would you like to face? Chris Jericho? The Undertaker?

CM Punk: To me, this is the $65,000 question ... or is it $64,000? It's tough to tell with inflation. Anyway, that's the thing, I guess I've finally broken through and now I'm this newly minted main event, top WWE wrestler and everybody is wondering what I'm doing for Wrestlemania. This has been the story of my life. Every year leading up to Wrestlemania, I don't even know if I'm going to be on the show. I remember I had to pitch in order to get me and Rey (Mysterio) for Wrestlemania. It's not like they were coming to me, so I went to Rey, asked him if he knew what he was doing, and came to him with my idea. He loved it, so we ran with it. So every year, I'm sitting here crossing my fingers that I'm in Wrestlemania. Even last year, I was on Wrestlemania because Randy (Orton) needed somebody to wrestle, let's be honest. This is the first year where it really seems like, oh crap, we actually have to do something with Punk at Wrestlemania and it has to be high-caliber, it has to be big.

So who am I going to wrestle? I don't know. I get a lot of, "You should wrestle Undertaker." I would love to. That would kick ass. He is one of my favorite guys to work with. I get a lot of, "It's going to be you and Jericho," but you know what, he doesn't work here. Obviously, he could come back between now and then, but who knows
I was just shaking my head at alot of this interview, it was so unreal and my interpretation of it was just so contradictory.

I don't know why he's back, oh yeah I do it's because it makes good business sense as it sells more PPV's and puts more money in my bank account. Shit, better insult him and whine that he won't talk to us, even though I don't think people want to hang out with him. Fuck it, let's just question why he's back again.

Wah Wah Wah, Rock/Cena is main eventing WrestleMania and taking another guys spot who's been working hard for it, but don't worry i've got the perfect solution, i'm gonna campaign to get a main event match for myself against Austin! Yeah, not at all contradictory huh.

Lost so much respect for Punk recently.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
He obviously means that he doesn't truly believe that Rock came back to help out WWE and thinks he has some kind of motives for himself because of how he acts around everyone else backstage. Don't really believe Rock got any hidden motivates as to why he came back but that is how I took what he was saying and why in this thread I said I could see what Punk was talking about and why it would give him that idea.

As far as the Austin thing it's because he obviously believes Austin cares more about the WWE than Rock does because chances are if Austin's neck didn't fuck up he'd still be wrestling today. So it isn't really all that contradictory if you put everything together.

Lastly though knowing how Punk loves to purposely ruffle feathers I still stand behind my belief he is doing this to create a buzz similar to how Cena did a few years back.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Never once does he say he has tried to talk to Rock or that any young guy has went to him and been shunned. It is all he won't be one of the boys in the back despite the fact that isnt how things work. Young guys go to the vets, introduce themselves, and show respect, or they got wrestler court before the locker room had been cleared of Taker, Holly, and JBL. They want him to try to fit in with them, but that isn't what was taught to Rocks generation or the past WWE locker rooms as they aren't his peers. Most his peers are gone aside from Henry, Triple H, and Show who just returned. Then there is the he is taking our spot bull ****, while advocating for an Austin match for himself or a Taker/Jericho match when neither have been there. All that said though he will cash the ppv checks from the increased revenue Rock draws happily. Cry me a river and a double standard

Last edited:

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
How is it a double standard? It's his opinion because he just doesn't like the fact of how Rock carries himself as if he is above everyone else so this is not a respect the vet type thing obviously because he respects the hell and would shake hands with any other legend who came in there. He even points out that he isn't a money guy but obviously he's not gonna say here take this extra money back that Rock help bring in. He's just not gonna let money change his opinion of the guy who he feels doesn't respect the business as much as he says he does whether it be true or bullshit it is his opinion just like we express ours.

Not gonna spend as much time on this matter as before but if you focus on what Punk's morals and views on wrestling are and put them with his comments then his comments aren't as omg this crybaby douche bag as you guys are making it out to be.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
It is a double standard to complain about Rock taking away time from guys who are there and then talk about wanting Austin, Jericho, or Taker at Mania. Rock has been there more than any of them from mania to mania. And if you want to play what ifs, Rock would have been there if they just picked up the rollover date on his contract years ago as he has said before

It is dumb to compare Cena and how he interacts to Rock. Cena is one of the guys. He is their peer. Rocks peers in that locker room are a hand full of guys. The rest including Punk are all wet behind the ears youngsters to Rock. He isnt going to interact with them like he is one of them. He wasn't taught that way. He had to go up to the vets, introduce himself, and maintain proper etiquette. That is how the locker room he came from was conducted. You showed respect, they don't come to you. If you didn't show respect you were changing in hallways, getting taken to court, and being stiffed. Guys like Taker, JBL, Austin, the Kliq, and so n all made sure you followed the code man or woman. Punk and this generation aren't because they are young and the locker room has lacked vets on both brands this year.

You can't question a guys love either when he isn't getting paid but for ppv and is taking bumps that could cost him millions while doing so. Vince himself has said Rock is only getting ppv money, not merch, Raw, or game cash. You don't make and stick to a handshake verbal deal like that if you don't cares for or love WWE, which is a company he did far more for than Punk can ever dream of btw.