Official WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dylanfsd

Reaction score
Wait wait wait.... no gm mode? So wtf is going on than? I want to book matches.

Nation

Cory said the new mode has some of the same features as GM Mode. Man if i can't control a brand ill be pissed. GM Mode is the biggest reason for me to get the game. Well that and a big roster.

Dre

Reaction score
The GM Mode started to get boring after the second year that the feature been out. It's really nothing new to the mode except that you get a different office.

Dylanfsd

Reaction score
Kinda ironic now that they actually are going to have a huge roster, yet no GM mode but a similar mode. Would've been nice to have a full ECW roster last year, in order to book a full show.

Qwake

Man if i can't control a brand ill be pissed. GM Mode is the biggest reason for me to get the game. Well that and a big roster.

Same here, I really like GM Mode but I also like having a huge roster so I can use more guys and not get bored with the game quickly. The last games sucked because it was about 12 men per show which is terrible, I once traded one man for about 3! The first ever GM Mode was the best imo but this one could have been good, I don't want something similar I want it the old way but with maybe different stories on the GM Mode and stuff. The similar thing could be alright but not as good imo.

J

I still say the thing that would make the game's perfect is a Create-A-Attire mode. Something like the new Soul Caliber. Where you can take the pre made wrestlers and add your own look to them. If they did that the games would be as close to perfect as they will ever get.

Nation

I guess Festus is in.

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14242659/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009/videos/taker-wii-countdown-1-2009.html

As soon as the video starts pause it and you can see Festus. He is shown a second before Taker's entrance begins.

Edit: Here's a picture

FestusSVR09.jpg

Also here is a picture that confirms Cody will be in the game.

c.jpg

seX-Power

DiBiase must be in the game if Cody has a Championship belt next to his name, because they are partners

Nation

Or his partner could be Hardcore Holly. But im really hoping for Ted. If not ill just make him and with the PS3 version now having the ability to give a caw his own entrance music it will be no big deal. All though im really hoping for Ted i want to see Holly in the game as well. He was awesome in ECW.

Dylanfsd

Reaction score
If they dont have some type of booking method, they've lost a buyer.. I need something to do while im on the road to Mexico.

seX-Power

Cena/Michaels match up there looked good. The MIz looke pretty bad in the picture. Kinda like Finlay he looked too young and dewey'eyed and not near enough cocky or brash. Kennedy looked good but even as a face he always looks so angry in all the SvR games

Nation

September 15, 2008 - Last week, IGN brought you the news that WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009's story mode, Road to WrestleMania, would feature seven Superstars in six storylines. Once that information was out, the Internet exploded. "I Hate This," one IGN reader wrote. "Where The F&*& Is Orton," another chimed in. "WTF u got to be kiding me," someone else said. The comments went on like this.

The sentiment wasn't unexpected -- we're wrestling fans, so change scares us and our first reaction is to lash out at it -- but I for one wasn't expecting it to be so strong. Personally, I thought the last year's 24/7 Mode, which forced every wrestler into the same vanilla tale, sucked. Road to WrestleMania is packing character-specific storylines crafted by the guys behind WWE programming. I think it sounds exciting and the vocal fans are getting bent out of shape before they get all the facts.

WWE Diva Maria -- who will be making her first playable appearance in SVR 09 -- agrees with me.

"No offense, but it's our writers," Maria told me when we were talking about the fan reaction to RTW. "The players get to play actual WWE Storylines."

On the heels of the RTW announcement, THQ swung by the IGN office recently to give me a look at Maria and -- more importantly -- Road to WrestleMania. Both are looking pretty sweet.

If your just joining us, Road to WrestleMania lets you control Undertaker, CM Punk, Chris Jericho, Triple H, John Cena, or Rey Mysterio and Batista on each Superstar's path to the biggest spectacle in Sports Entertainment. This is a drastic change from the be-anyone-you-want 24/7 Mode SVR featured last year, which put everyones Superstar into the same tale and left a lot of bigger names feeling out of place and acting uncharacteristically. Road to WrestleMania replaces that garbage with character-specific fables featuring full-fledged voice acting, alternate endings, and scores of unlockables.

"It was a tough decision, but you get a lot more bang for your buck," THQ Creative Manager Bryan Williams said.

For my demo, THQ showed me the Undertaker storyline. Beginning with 79 days until WrestleMania, the story pit the big guy against Santino for his first feud, but it was the little stuff that caught my attention. Each week, the show you're on will start with its traditional fireworks and crowd-scanning shots before cutting to the announce table to hear what the week's biggest story is. So, in Taker's case, we're spun around the SmackDown arena before settling in on the Coach and Michael Cole dishing on the day. Now, no offense to JR, King, THQ, or whoever else might get all cranky with me, but commentary's never been a strongpoint of the SVR franchise. The game tries, but generally it's a few moves behind and a bit too general. However, because there's a focus to each RTW tale, commentary is actually thought-out, story-specific, and worth listening to. During the Undertaker matches I saw, Cole and Coach talked about the feud that was developing, why it was happening, and any other story point that made sense. It was actually like watching the show -- a point driven home by the cutscenes dropped in all over the place and the WWE copyright logo popping up at the end of the show as Cole and Coach freak out.

Before you head to the ring, you'll be booted back to your locker room where you can save and adjust options, but more importantly, this is where you'll get optional objectives. During the Undertaker storyline, a note in the Deadman's locker informed me that if Undertaker could put away Finlay -- a cutscene showed a run-in between the man who loves to fight, Santino, and Undertaker -- quicker than it took to beat Santino, Taker'd be handsomely rewarded. I can't tell you what became available when Undertaker won, but I can tell you it was totally worth it. The objectives will unlock environments, characters, match types, and more.

I've seen a lot of people asking what RTW keeps from 24/7 mode, and the answer is "Not much." This isn't really the same thing as 24/7; here, you're participating in a specific story that has different paths and alternate endings. There are no injuries to worry about, and no training activities to participate in during your off days. You're in your locker room the day of your match and can look at messages or goals, then it's into the ring or to view a cutscene, and then you watch as the days on a calendar will scroll by as the shows you're not on. Yes, you'll appear on PPVs and win titles and so on, but all of those choices are story elements and not something you'd go out and seek on your own.

So what does this mean for your created Superstars or Superstars not in the RTW six-pack? Well, there was an interview from a few months ago where THQ Senior Creative Manager Cory Ledesma said there would be something for Superstars to do, and I made sure to ask him all about it during the THQ visit. However, to hear what Ledesma, Williams, and Maria had to say about that mode and everything else SVR related, you'll need to tune in to my interview on Podcast Beyond -- the IGN PlayStation Team show -- this Thursday. If listening isn't your thing, Thursday will also bring your first look at Maria's in-game character when the Diva picks up the controller and faces off against Gruesome Greggy in an IGN Championship/WWE Woman's Championship unification match on IGN.

★Chuck Zombie★

Reaction score
Good read Nation. With the exception of the available roster for that mode, it sounds awesome. I think they should have Orton and Edge as playable and the Hardy's as a tag team story.

Nation

God dammit. Apparently Ted DiBiase is not in.

Oh well should of known he wouldn't be in. Im just gonna have to make him and with the PS3 now having the ability for giving a superstar entrance music it won't be a problem. Also i guess i have to change Y2J's music.

Edit: Here is a picture that shows that Rhodes is champions with Holly but it's small and a little hard to read.

WTC.jpg